John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 85 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 85 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ship school board and acted as its treasurer for
six years.

On the 13th of September, 1884, Mr. Hongen
was united in marriage to Miss Kate J. Waalck,
a daughter of Jonah and Eliza Waalck. Her
birth occurred in Franklin township. May 16,
1863, and by her marriage she has become the
mother of eight children, namely: Bessie ]\I., born
July 26, 1885, has passed away ; Webster J., born
November 12, 1887; Annie E., born December
13, 1889; Mamie C, born June 14, 1892; Ella A.,
born July 3, 1894; Leach A., born October 24,
1896, now deceased ; Horace G. R., born July
16, 1899 ; and Lola C, born March 5, 1902.

LEWIS PHILIP CLEWELL, deceased,
late pastor of the Moravian church in South Beth-
lehem, Pennsylvania, was born in Schoenck,
Northampton county, Pennsvlvania, February y,

1843.

The founder of the family in America was
George Craft Clavell (for so the name was then
spelled), who with his brother Franz and their
widowed mother, came to America in the autumn
of 1737 from Durlach, Baden, where they were
born, — Franz in 1720 and George in 1726. They
were the sons of Francois and Louisa Clavell (ncc
Frache), who after the revocation of the Edict
of Nantes fled from Dauphin, France. They
went first to Geneva, Switzerland, and after-



ward to Auerbach, in Baden, where the father
died in 1730. In their flight they left all behind
and came to this country in straitened financial
circumstances. They had only sufficient money
to pay their mother's passage, and the boys came
as redemptioners. On reaching America they
were bound out in order to pay their passage, and
thus served until they became of age, when they
opened adjoining farms in Plainfield (now Bush-
kill) township, Northampton county, each be-
coming the possessor of three hundred and twenty
acres of land. They were also among the found-
ers of a Moravian congregation at Schoenck, in
Northampton county, Pennsylvania. The two
brothers married sisters — the daughters of John
Kichlein, who was their mother's second hus-
band, and who occupied a farm adjoining the sec-
tion upon which Franz and George Clavell lo-
cated. Franz married Salome, the older daugh-
ter, and George wedded Anna Maria, the younger
daughter. The latter was born at Auerbach,
Durlach, Baden, in August, 1726. Her parents
emigrated to this country some time in the decade
between 1730 and 1740, and after the death of
the mother John Kichlein wedded Mrs. Louisa
Clavell.

Franz Clavell had nine daughters and four
sons, as follows: Maria Magdalena, born June 13,
1745; Elizabeth, November 18, 1746; Catharine,
October 19, 1748; John, April 21, 1750; Anna
Maria, born June 24, 1752; Francis, Jr., July 22,
1754; Rosina, September 29, 1757; Nathaniel,
born October 23, 1759, and died in infancy; E.
Salom.e, born February 2, 1761 ; Christina, Sep-
tember 21, 1762 ; Nathaniel, January 25, 1765 ;
Julian, IMarch 16, 1768; and Anna Dorathea,
September 28, 1769.

George Clavell had nine sons and three daugh-
ters, as follows: Jacob, born October 2, 1751;
Elizabeth, March 16, 1753; John, September 12,
1754; Daniel, February 14, 1756; George, Jr.,
March 11, 1758; Joseph, August 3, 1760: Abra-
ham, born January 9, 1762, and died in infancy ;
Franz, born March 30, 1763 ; Catharine, Decem-
ber 3, 1765 ; Salome, May 3, 1767 ; Christian,
November 2, 1770; and Abraham, July 11, 1776.

George Clewell, Jr., married Johanna Knauss,



476



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



and his children were : John Philip ; William ;
Salome, wife of Peter Steiner ; Elizabeth, wife
of Joseph Miksch; Lisetta, wife of Philip Den-
inger ; and two sons that died in Schoenck in
infancy.

J. Philip Clewell, father of Rev. Lewis F.
Clewell, was born at Schoenck, March 23, 1793.
He was educated at Nazareth Hall, became a
locksmith, and followed his trade througliout his
business career. He was a member of the Mora-
vian congregation at Schoenck, and lived and died
in that town. In politics he was an ardent Re-
publican, but he never desired or sought public
office. He married Anna Maria Roth, who was
born at Filetown, near Nazareth, Pennsylvania,
in October, 1800. She was a daughter of David
Roth, and a granddaughter of John Roth, the In-
dian missionary. Unto J. Philip Clewell and his
wife were born the following named, Jacob
Lewis, who died in 1841 ; Rev. Theophilus G.
Clewell, of South Park, Ohio; Alexander D., who
died in Sumner county, Kansas ; Lewis P. ;
Clarissa, the wife of Alfred Snyder, of Loyal
Oak, Summit county, Ohio ; Louisa, who became
the wife of Henry Weidlonger and died in New
York ; Caroline, now the wife of Henry
Weidlonger and a resident of Cleveland, Ohio ;
Clara, the wife of Frank Stout, of Bethlehem,
Pennsylvania; and Emma, the wife of Henry
Krause, of Bethlehem.

Lewis Philip Clewell was educated in the
parochial schools at Nazareth and in the Mora-
vian Theological Seminary at Bethlehem, Penn-
sylvania. He engaged in teaching for two years
in the Military School of Nazareth Hall, and in
1865 was ordained a deacon in the Moravian
church and later a presbyter. He did pioneer
work in the northwest for eight years, and later
served as pastor of the Moravian congregation
at Graceham, Maryland, for seven years. He
spent two years in pastoral work at Lebanon,
Pennsylvania, eight years at Emaus, Pennsyl-
vania, and four years at Utica, New York, and
for a decade he was located at South Bethlehem,
Pensylvania, as pastor of the Moravian church
there.

Rev. Clewell was married May 16, 1867, t°



Sarah M. Blickensderfer, a daughter of Isaac
Blickensderfer, of Gnadenhutten, Ohio. Mary E.
Clewell, the eldest child of Rev. Lewis P. and
Sarah M. Clewell, was born in Harmony, Iowa,
September 12, 1869, was educated in the pa-
rochial school and seminary, in Kutztown Nor-
mal School, and is now a teacher in the Moravian
parochial school at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
Robert E. Clewell, born in Harmony, Poweshiek
county, Iowa, January 30, 1870, was educated in
the Moravian Theological Seminary of Bethle-
hem, Pennsylvania, was ordained to the minis-
try in 1892, and has served as pastor of the
church in Ohio and Minnesota, while during the
last six years he has been located at Hopedale,
Newfoundland postoffice, Pennsylvania. He mar-
ried Mamie Gille, of Detour, Florida. Annie
Louisa, born in Harmony, Iowa, November 14,
1872, was educated in the public schools of Le-
banon and Emaus, Pennsylvania, and is now
at home.

EDWARD GOUGH came to Allentown from
Manchester, Staffordshire, England, when about
twenty-five years of age, and immediately began
business for himself in the manufacture of brass
castings, thus establishing one of the productive
industries of the borough. In early life he had
attended the public schools of his native country,
and he afterward served an apprenticeship to
learn the trade of brass casting. When his term
of service was completed he worked as a journey-
man until he had accumulated enough money
with which to come to America. Crossing the At-
lantic he made his way direct to Allentown and
in company with a Mr. Robinson began the manu-
facture of brass castings, in which they soon se-
cured a liberal patronage which brought a very
gratifying income. The partnership was con-
tinued for a year, after which Mr. Gough pur-
chased Mr. Robinson's interest and carried on
the business alone with excellent success until
1896. In that year he retired from the field of
manufacture and afterward gave his supervision
onlv to his invested interests, having in the mean-
time purchased considerable property.

In early life Mr. Gough married Miss Amelia



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



477



Willis. No children were born to them. In 1880
Air. Gough sent to Manchester, Staffordshire,
England, for his wife's sister, Mrs. Sophia Dun-
ton, to come to America and make her home with
them. She had been left a widow and had six
children. She had married Abraham Dunton,
and upon his death Mr. Gough and his wife per-
suaded her to come to America, so with four of
her children she crossed the Atlantic to the United
States. After the death of her sister she became
the wife of Mr. Gough, in 1896. His death oc-
curred September 8, 1899. He was a member
of the Episcopal church and of the Masonic fra-
ternity, and was a respected and worthy resident
of AUentown who by the exercise of untiring in-
dustry and capable management had in his busi-
ness career attained a high degree of success.

Mrs. Gough's children are as follows : David,
who married Kate Mercer and has one child,
Florence ; George, who married Bernice Latrobe,
by whom he has one child, Edward; Fannie, the
wife of George Webster ; Joseph, who married
Louisa Boyer, and has five children — Joseph,
Lydia, Bernice, Sophia and David ; Abraham,
who married Ida Prentice ; and Lydia, the wife
of Joseph Learch.

ELI A. A. ANDREAS, a retired farmer of
Macungie, is a descendant of an old family who
settled in Macungie township, Lehigh county, at
an early epoch in colonial history, and since that
time representatives of the name have proved
themselves true and loyal citizens of their adopted
land. The great-grandfather, Christian Andreas,
was a native of Germany, born in the year 1744.
He was a miller by trade and became the owner
of three grist mills, one in Upper Macungie and
two in Upper Milford. These mills he afterward
sold, and invested his capital in three hundred and
thirty acres of valuable farming land, which sub-
sequent to his death was divided between his two
sons, Christian and Jacob, and is now the prop-
erty of Jacob Andreas, who in 1904 is eight\'-nine
years of age.

Christian Andreas, the founder of the family
in America, married a Miss Hahn, and they
reared a family of six daughters and two sons.



previously mentioned. One of these sons, John
Jacob Andreas, was the grandfather of Eli A. A.
Andreas. He followed farming, and he and his
family were members of the Lutheran church.
He married a Miss Mohr, and they had six chil-
dren who reached years of maturity, and all born
in Upper Milford township, Lehigh county,
namely : David, Jonathan, Gideon Jacob, Nathan,
Polly and Lydia.

Jonathan Andreas, the second of the family,
was born in Lower Macungie, Lehigh county,
in 1 8 10, became a well known farmer and in his
agricultural work was both practical and success-
ful. He was united in marriage to Miss Lovina
Fetterman, whose birth occurred in Upper Mil-
ford, Lehigh county, in 1827. He passed away
in 1886, and his wife died in 1883. They were
strong adherents nf the Lutheran faith, and took
an active part in the work of the church in which
they held membership. Their family numbered
three sons — Hiram and Eli A. A., twins ; and
Harry.

Eli A. A. Andreas was born in Lower Macun-
gie township, November 13, 1851, and was there
reared, spending his boyhood days upon the home
farm. He pursued his education in the common
schools of the township, and when not engaged
with the duties of the schoolroom gave his at-
tention to farm work, and throughout his active
business career was identified with agricultural
interests. He now owns one hundred and thirty-
four acres of good farming land in one tract, and
sixty acres which constitutes a second farm. He
has long been accounted one of the progressive
agriculturists of his township, keeping in touch
with modern improvement and in the advance-
ment which is continually being made in farming
methods.

Mr. Andreas has likewise figured in public
office, holding the position of auditor, and has
proved a helpful factor in community interests
tending to promote the material welfare and sub-
stantial upbuilding and the educational and in-
tellectual progress of his locality. He has ad-
hered to the religious faith of his ancestors, hold-
ing membership in the Lutheran church, in which
he has held the office of deacon.



478



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



In November, 1873, Mr. Andreas was united
in marriage to Miss Ella Wickert, a daughter of
Henry and Susan Wickert. She was born in
Lower Macungie, May 8, 1854, and they have one
son, Robert ]., who was born November 8, 1879.
He married Miss Minnie Botz, and is now pro-
prietor of a music store in AUentown, Pennsyl-
vania. Mr. Andreas removed from his farm
to Macungie in 1896, and he and his wife are
living there in the enjoyment of comforts which
have come to him through his continued activity
and capable management of his business affairs
in former years.

HON. EDWARD HARVEY, distinguished
throughout at least eastern Pennsylvania for his
legal learning and natural talents, was born in
Doylestown, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, Janu-
ary 17, 1844. He was the only son of Dr. George
T. Harvey, a leading physician of Doylestown,
and Mary Kinsey Harvey, nee LaRue, both of
whom were representatives of the oldest families
of Bucks county.

Mr. Harvey in his early boyhood days was a
pupil in the public schools of his native place.
Afterward he attended a private school conducted
by the Rev. S. A. Andrews, D. D. Later he at-
tended the high school of Lawrenceville, New
Jersey, near Princeton, and in i860 he entered
Princeton College, where he remained until the
end of the junior year. Upon the determination,
however, to make the practice of the law his life
work, he abandoned his collegiate course and be-
came a student-at-law in the office of Hon. George
Lear, then the leading member of the Bucks
county bar, and subsequently attorney-general of
Pennsylvania. In the fall of 1865 he was ad-
mitted to practice in the courts of his native
county. In November of the same year he visited
AUentown, Pennsylvania, and on the 8th day
of that month, on motion of Hon. S. A. Bridges,
he became a member of the Lehigh county bar.

On the 1st day of January, 1866, Mr. Harvey
took up his residence at AUentown, where he has
since resided. He began his practice in the office
of Hon. S. A. Bridges, and soon demonstrated
his ability to cope with the intricate problems of



jurisprudence. It was soon evident that he pre-
pared his cases with masterly skill and precision,
and that in their presentation before court and
jury he was forceful and logical. He thus soon
acquired a lucrative practice which has been in-
creased with advancing years. His practice fre-
quently calls him to adjoining counties and into
the federal courts, as well as to the argument of
cases in the supreme court of Pennsylvania. He
is especially well qualified for the successful per-
formance of the duties of his profession, possess-
ing an analytical mind, a keen insight in the vital
issues involved in a subject, a pleasing presence,
and superior gifts of oratory in presenting mat-
ters at issue forcibly and eloquently. A con-
temporary biographer has said: "In a compara-
tively brief period he attained to the leading po-
sition at the Lehigh county bar and has since held
that place."

Mr. Harvey's study of the political questions
and issues has led him through conviction to give
an unfaltering and earnest support to the prin-
ciples of the Democratic party. Political prefer-
ment has had no attraction for him, however, and
he has been inclined to devote his energies to
his professional duties. Notwithstanding this he
has given to his party and state the loyal support
of a patriotic citizen. In 1873 he was chosen a
member of the constitutional convention, repre-
senting the senatorial district comprising Lehigh
and Carbon counties. In that body he served as
a member of the committee on corporations, and
took an active part in framing the organic law of
the state. On June 14, 1878, he was appointed
president judge of the thirty-first judicial dis-
trict of Pennsylvania to fill the vacancy caused by
the resignation of Hon. A. B. Longaker. The ap-
pointment coming to him from a Republican gov-
ernor. General John F. Hartranft, was a com-
pliment to his professional knowledge and per-
sonal worth. He filled the office until the first
Monday in January, 1879, the close of the unex-
pired term. His career on the bench was in keep-
ing with his brilliant record as a practitioner.
His decisions were strictly fair and impartial,
and clearlv indicated a comprehensive knowledge
of the law. Only six of the cases were ever ap-




-«:^^:^-»<£-^-



^^^




GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



479



pealed, and in each of these his decision was
sustained.

After his retirement from the bench Judge
Harvey resumed the active practice of the law,
and a large clientage is indicative of the con-
fidence reposed in his professional ability by the
public. In 1878 he was solicited to become the
nominee upon an independent ticket for president
judge of Lehigh county, but declined the honor,
and in 1879 he also declined to accept an inde-
pendent candidacy for judge of the court of com-
mon pleas of Berks county. In 1882 he was
waited upon by a committee of the judicial con-
ferees of Dauphin and Lebanon counties who
wished to obtain his permission to use his name
in connection with- the Democratic nomination,
but this he also declined. In the fall of 1903 he,
however, accepted the Democratic nomination for
president judge of Lehigh county, but was de-
feated by Frank M. Trexler. On April 9, 1884,
he was chosen by the Democratic state conven-
tioi^ to represent the tenth congressional dis-
trict in the Democratic national convention held
in Chicago in July of that year.

In March, 1878, when the First National Bank
of Allentown was compelled to suspend through
the unexpected failure of William H. Blumer &
Company, bankers, Mr. Harvey was chosen its
president. As the bank was in liquidation its
assets needed careful handling to insure payment
of the debts, and the duties of its president were
responsible and delicate. The discharge of these
duties called for masterly legal ability and finan-
cial skill. In his successful and satisfactory con-
duct of the bank's affairs he may be said to have
scored one of the notable triumphs of his pro-
fessional life.

At one time he was president of the Naza-
reth Portland Cement Company. He is now
a director of the Second National Bank of Al-
lentown, and president of the Allentown Hospital
Association. His services as an orator have been
sought on manv popular occasions, and probably
the most notable occasion of this kind was his de-
livery of the memorial address in Allentown upon
President McKinley.

Judge Harvey possesses one of the finest law



libraries in eastern Pennsylvania. He also has
an extensive private library of miscellaneous
books. He is perfectly familiar with literature
of every description, and his retentive memory
and power of applying what he has read to mat-
ters in hand serve him admirably in presenting
vividly and pleasingly any subject he may dis-
cuss. His advancement depends entirely on in-
dividual merit, and his standing and reputation
as a lawyer and thinker have been won through
earnest and honest labor.

ADAM BRINKER, a representative business
man of South Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, prom-
inent in control of industrial and mercantile inter-
ests, was born in Williams township, Northamp-
ton county, Pennsylvania, February 3, 1846, a
son of Jacob and Susanna (Wilhelm) Brinker,
grandson of John George and Elizabeth
(Schmidt) Brinker, and great-grandson of Ul-
rich and Apollonia (Beyer) Brinker.

Ulrich Brinker (great-grandfather) was born
in Baden, Germany, and he was a member of the
Reformed church. His wife, Apollonia (Beyer)
Brinker, was a member of the Lutheran church.
Their family consisted of five children, as fol-
lows : John George, Adam, John, Jacob and An-
drew. John George Brinker (grandfather) was
born in Lower Saucon, Northampton county,
Pennsylvania, January 7, 1777. He was a farmer
by occupation, conducting his operations in Forks
township, Northampton county, where he was
the owner of three hundred and twenty-six acres
of valuable land. On March 14, 1802, he mar-
ried Elizabeth Schmidt, who was born in Bethle-
hem, Northampton county, January 25, 1779, a
daughter of Michael and Catherine (Rumfeld)
Schmidt, and their children were as follows :
John, born in 1803 ; George, 1805 : Mary, 1807 ;
Jacob, mentioned further below; David, 181 1 ;
Elizabeth, 1813 ; Daniel, 1815 ; and Andrew, 1818.
All of these children are now deceased with the
exception of the youngest.

Jacob Brinker (father) was born in Forks
township, Northampton county, in 1809. During
his entire active career he followed agricultural
pursuits, which proved both a pleasant and lucra-



48o



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



tive means of livelihood. He was a member of
the Reformed church, and throughout the com-
munity in which he resided was honored and
esteemed for his nobility of character. His wife,
Susanna (Wilhelm) Brinker, a native of Easton,
Pennsylvania, and a member of the Reformed
church, bore him eight children, namely: Jacob,
who married Miss Stecher, both now deceased,
having left several children. Sarah, who became
the wife of Llewellyn Knecht, and among their
children were the following: Emma, the wife of
David Pritchard; Edwin, Amanda, and Allen.
David, who was the father of two children, Ed-
win and William Brinker. William, who mar-
ried Miss Zeiner, and they reared a family of
children. Jeremiah, who died in childhood. Sa-
bina, who became the wife of Mr. Henry, of In-
diana, and their family consists of two sons and
two daughters. Joseph, who married Matilda
Kern, and their children are: Edna, Frank,
Flora, Jennie, William, John and Ray Brinker.
Adam, mentioned hereinafter. Jacob Brinker,
father of these children, died in 1849, aged forty
years, when Adam Brinker was only eighteen
months old ; his wife passed away at the age of
sixty-seven years.

Adam Brinker, the youngest member of the
family of Jacob and Susanna Brinker, was reared
in various towns in Northampton county, and
acquired his education in the Millgrove school
and the Nazareth school. The Civil war broke
out soon after he completed his studies, and he en-
listed in the Union army in September, 1862. He
served for nine months in the One Hundred and
Fifty-third Regiment of Pennsylvania Volun-
teers. After his discharge from the army he
learned the saddler's trade at Bethlehem, and
from the expiration of his term of apprenticeship
until 1867 he worked as a journeyman. He then
established a shop of his own on Second street,
making harness by hand, and after two years his
business had increased to such an extent that he
required the services of two men. He remained
at this location for four years and then removed
to a larger store at 120 Third street, where he
carried a full line of robes and whips. During
his eighteen years of occupancy of that store he



built up an extensive business, and in 1887 re-
moved to his present location, giving constant
employment to five men in the manufacture of
harnesses by hand, and carries the largest stock
in that line in the Lehigh Valley, consisting of
ten thousand dollars worth of all kinds of har-
nesses, robes, whips, sleighs, in fact, everything
used in connection with the driving of horses.
The business is conducted under the name of
Adam Brinker & Co. Mr. Brinker is the owner
of the building where his business is conducted^
having erected it in 1887 ; it is twenty-seven by
eighty-five feet, and the basement and first floor
is devoted to the harness store, the office is located
on the second floor, and the third floor is used as
a lodge room.

Mr. Brinker is far-sighted, alert and enter-
prising in all his business connections, and for a
number of years he has been associated with many
of the principal enterprises that have contributed
to the commercial development and prosperity
of his adopted town. In 1880 he organized the
firm of Brinker & Wagner for the buying and
handling of all kinds of stone and building ma-
terials, which firm still continues, and during the
intervening twenty-four years they have built
twenty-nine houses in the city of South Bethlehem.
He was one of the organizers of the South Bethle-
hem National Bank in 1888, was elected director,
in 1889 was elected vice-president, and in 1900
president. In 1894 he was one of the organizers
of the Lehigh Cold Storage Company, and was
appointed president at that time, which position
he still holds. In the same year he organized the
Artificial Ice Company, which makes thirty-two
tons of ice per day, and of which he is president.
Two years later he added the coal and lumber
business to this company, making it one of the



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 85 of 92)