John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 86 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 86 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


leading industries of the town.

In ailfairs pertaining to the municipal inter-
ests of South Bethlehem _\Ir. Brinker is also
active. In 1878 he was elected a member of the
borough council, and has served continuously up
to the present time (1904), his term extending
until 1906, and for a short period of time he was
the incumbent of the office of burgess of South
Bethlehem, filling out the unexpired term of H.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



481



S. Goodwin. During the years 1898, 1899 and
1900 he was president of the South Bethlehem
council. He is a member of the Knights of
Pytliias, having joined in 1870, and held the of-
fice of treasurer in 1871. He assisted in the or-
ganization of the Golden Eagles in 1887, and has
served as treasurer ever since. He was also one
of the organizers of the Independent Order of
Red Alen, and served in the capacity of treasurer
for a number of years. He is a member of Rob-
ert Oldham Post, No. 527, Grand Army of the
Republic, and also of the Aloravian church.

Mr. Brinker was married to Lydia Sloyer, a
daughter of Alichael and Margaret (Fehr)
Sloyer. Their children are : Martha S., widow
of Emile Schremple, late of South Bethlehem,
and their children are Frederick and Walter
Schremple. Lilly J., wife of Oliver L. Peisert,
who is engaged with Mr. Brinker in the coal and
ice business.

JACOB W. I^XINE, iM. D., son of Benjamin
M. and Sarah (Knauss) Kline, representatives
of families whose early history is closely inter-
woven with that of Bucks county, Pennsylvania,
is one of the eminent medical practitioners of
Martins Creek, Northampton county, Pennsyl-
vania, and has gained success in his chosen call-
ing and won a high reputation for skill and
ability. He is a native of Bowers, Bucks county,
Pennsylvania, the date of his birth being Feb-
ruary 23, 1869.

Jacob W. Kline resided in the vicinity of his
birth-place until he was four years of age, and
then his parents removed to Easton, Pennsyl-
vania, where he acquired a liberal education.
which is such an essential attribute to success in
the pursuit of a profession or trade. He obtained
a knowledge of the fundamental principles of
education in the public schools of Easton. later
was a student at Trach's Academy, then entered
Lafayette College, from which well known and
noted institution he was graduated with high
honors in the class of 1891, and the following
year was graduated from the Medico Chirurgical
IMedical College or Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
He began the active practice of his profession in

31



the city of Easton, and for one and a half years
put to a practical test the theoretical knowledge
he had obtained during his collegiate course. At
the expiration of this period of time he located
in Martins Creek, and during the intervening
years has built up an extensive practice, which
is the result of a thorough knowledge of medicme
and surgery and close and careful attention to
the best interests of his patients. Dr. Kline is an
energetic and enterprising man, and the commun-
ity finds in him a valued citizen, who manifests
a commendable interest in everything pertaining
to its welfare and advancement. He is a member
of the Masonic fraternity of Easton, Eastort
Lodge, No. 153, Easton Chapter, No. 173, R..
A. M., and Martins Creek Lodge, No. 735, I. O..
O. F., of which he is a past grand.

Dr. Kline was united in marriage, in 189 1,
to Catherine Laubach, daughter of Owen and
Elizabeth Laubach, of Easton, Pennsylvania, who
was born in Easton, July 27, 1869, and two chil-
dren have been the issue of this union — Sarah E.
and Edgar L. Kline. A complete history of the
ancestors of Mrs. Kline will appear elsewhere in
this work.

MILTON D. ACKERMAN, of Edelman,
Pennsylvania, was born at Ackermansville,
3ilarch 3, 1870, his parents being Jacob J. and
Ruphena (Paul) Ackerman.

The student of history can not carry his in-
vestigation far into the annals of Northampton
county without learning of the family of which
;\lilton D. Ackerman is a representative. Of
German lineage, the first representatives of the
name in America crossed the Atlantic at a verv
early period in the colonization of the new world,
and the family home was established in Bucks
county, Pennsylvania. The descendants of the
original progenitor became quite numerous there.
But one of the number, Jacob Ackerman, becom-
ing dissatisfied with his surroundings, sought
a home further north, walking from Bucks county
to Easton, where he remained for a very short
period, and thence proceeded to Forks township,
along the Bushkill. He did not, however, find
a location with which he was entirel}- pleased



482



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



until he reached the site of what is now the vil-
lage of Ackermansville. There he built a small
house in the midst of the wilderness, purchasing
land a mile square, and soon afterward erected
thereon a gristmill which he operated for his own
use and that of the people of the neighborhood.
There he toiled and prospered, carrying on ag-
ricultural pursuits in connection with the mill-
ing business. He married, and his children were
six in number — Jacob, Henry, John, David,
Abraham and George. His son, Jacob Ackerman,
became the grandfather of Milton D. Ackerman,
and was born in Ackermansville. He received
the educational privileges afforded at that time,
but his knowledge was largely acquired through
experience and observation. He engaged in
farming and milling, as had his father, and was
an industrious, energetic man. He belonged to
the Mennonite church, being an ardent supporter
of its doctrines. Politically, he was a Republican,
and a worthy and respected citizen. He mar-
ried a Miss Kolb, and their children were : John,
Isaac, Jacob J., Susan, Mary, Lydia, Barbara,
Rebecca and Kate.

• Jacob J. Ackerman, the father of Milton D.
Ackerman, was born at Ackermansville, January
16, 1819, and there spent the days of his boy-
hood, pursuing a public school education and
gaining practical experience in business methods
through his work on the farm and in the mill.
He followed both occupations, owning and op-
erating seventy-four acres of land, and also con-
ducting a gristmill, in which he did quite a large
business. He also built a hotel and conducted it
for a short time, when he operated a sawmill.
His business interests were thus extensive and
varied. He held the office of assessor and super-
visor in Washington township, Northampton
county, and in matters of citizenship always gave
a loyal support to whatever pertained to the pub-
lic welfare. He belonged to the Reformed
church, was active in his work, and was a man
unusually popular with his fellow citizens, who
respected him for his upright life. Jacob J.
Ackerman was twice married. He first wedded
Tydia Hahn, and they became the parents of
eight children: Kate A., Ellen, George E., Caro-



line, Jacob I., and three that died in, infancy.
Mrs. Lydia H. Ackerman passed away in August,

1863, and Jacob Ackerman was again married in

1864, his second union being with Miss Ruphine
Paul. They became the parents of five children:
Minerva, Arvilla, Milton D., Isaac S. and Albert
E. The father died in August, 1898, and his
widow now resides in Ackermansville.

Milton D. Ackerman early became familiar
with agricultural pursuits upon his father's farm,
assisting in the cultivation of the fields from
early boyhood days. Not wishing, however, to
make farm work his life occupation, he has
turned his attention to merchandising, and since
1898 has been proprietor of a general store at
Edelman, where he carries a good line of goods
and has secured a gratifying patronage. At the
time he opened his store he was also made post-
master of the town, and is still acting in this
capacity.

In 1894 Mr. Ackerman was married to Miss
Minnie E. Gruver, who was born in Flicksville,
Pennsylvania, a daughter of Aaron and Eveline
Gruver. Unto this marriage have been born two
children: Lottie E., born in 1896; and Marly
J., born in 1902.

SOLOMON FLORY. The expansion of the
trade interests of a city and its growth and sub-
stantial development depend upon the energy,
activity and keen foresight of its representative
men — they who can comprehend the business sit-
uation of the present and also understand the con-
dition which points to future conditions. It is to
this class that Solomon Flory belongs, and he
stands today as one of the representative men of
Bangor, having for many years been an active
factor in trade circles. He established and de-
veloped two of the most important industrial con-
cerns of the city, and he still has important and
profitable business interests. His life has been
a busy and useful one, his aim being to use his
time to the best advantage, and while he has
prospered in his undertakings he is also a repre-
sentative of that class of American men who
while advancing individual success also promote
the general welfare.



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



483



The Flory family has long been established
in Pennsylvania. The grandfather of Solomon
Flory removed from Bucks county to North-
ampton county at an early date, and followed the
occupation of farming, residing in Upper Mount
Bethel township. To him and his wife were born
the following named children : John, Jacob,
George aiid Peter. All of the sons, with the ex-
ception of Peter, were farmers, and he followed
blacksmithing.

Peter Flory, the father of Solomon Flory, was
united in marriage to Miss Mary Siselach, and
they became the parents of the following named
children: William, Absalom, Simeon, Solomon,
Harriet, Polly and Rebecca. Of this number
only Polly, Solomon and Simeon are now living.

Solomon Flory, whose name introduces this
record, was born in Upper Mount Bethel town-
ship, Northampton county, August 15, 1829, and
in his early life followed agricultural pursuits,
with which he became familiar in his boyhood
days. Later he removed to Plainfield township,
where his attention was directed to the butcher-
ing business. There he remained until 1872, at
which time he removed to Bangor, Pennsylvania,
remaining an active representative of commercial
and industrial interests in this city until 1901,
when he retired from business life, having in the
meantime steadily advanced to a position prom-
inent among the substantial citizens of the north-
ern part of the county. On locating in Bangor,
he continued to conduct a meat market, and also
began dealing in coal and wood. He further ex-
tended the field of his operations by engaging
in the milling business, and for thirty years con-
ducted his market and for fifteen years his mill,
thus taking an active part in supplying needed
commodities to the citizens of this place. In 1880
he began the manufacture of machinery on a very
small scale, employing but three workmen, but
his enterprise soon developed an industry of
larger proportions and one which became very
profitable. In 1883 he turned the grist mill over
to his son Milton, and later gave the machine shop
to the charge of his son Samuel. Both enter-
prises have grown far beyond the expectations
of both himself and his sons. In the machine



shop today three hundred and twenty-five men
are employed. The business has been organized
and incorporated, and is a most prominent factor
in the industrial life of the city. The plant cov-
ers about four acres of ground, and is located
along the tracks of both the New Jersey Central
and the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Rail-
roads. All kinds of mining and quarry machin-
ery are manufactured, and the output is shipped
to various sections of the country. The enter-
prise is conducted under the name of the S. Flory
Manufacturing Company, of Bangor. The grist
mill has also expanded greatly, being one of the
paying industries of the city. It was estabhshed
in 1858, remodeled in 1890, and rebuilt and en-
larged to its present extensive proportions in
1900. It is operated by both steam and water
power, the former being seventy-five horse power,
and the latter ninety-five horsepower. The ca-
pacity of the mill is one hundred and fifty bar-
rels every twenty-four hours. The product of
the mill is one of very superior grade, as is at-
tested by the large local demand and the extensive
shipments made. Solomon Flory not only es-
tablished these enterprises upon a successful
basis, but has also been the promoter of other
enterprises of importance, showing him to be a
man of great natural business ability and of
marked resources. He has been engaged in the
slate development. He was a director and stock-
holder of the First National Bank of Bangor for
several years, and is now the owner of consider-
able real estate in Danielsville, which he has upon
the market and for which he is finding a ready
sale. In public affairs he has been quite promi-
nent and his fitness for leadership has occasioned
his selection for many public offices in his town.
He has been elected to the position of chief bur-
gess and of councilman, and in the discharge of
his duties has ever manifested the same prompt-
ness and fidelity which characterized his business
career. Bangor, in other ways, has also been
greatly benefited by his efforts. He has erected
as many as fourteen dwellings in one year here,
and has opened up many of the quarries which
are now being profitably worked, selling these as
an advantageous opportunity was presented. He



484



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



began life at the very bottom round of the ladder,
and step by step has climbed upward. His is a
business record which any man might envy, not
alone on account of the success he has achieved,
but also because of the unassailable reputation
he has gained. He has never incurred an obliga-
tion that he has not discharged or made an en-
gagement that he has not met, and by his business
associates is held in the highest regard.

Mr. Flory was first joined in wedlock to Miss
Sarah A. Brach, and to them were born the fol-
lowing children: Benjamin, now deceased; Sus-
anna, Christian, Samuel, Enos, who has also de-
parted this life; Kate, deceased; and Milton.
For his second wife "Sir. Flory chose Miss Susan
Albert. No family to this union.

J. CALVIN SHIMER, of Mt. Bethel town-
ship, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, a rep-
resentative of one of the oldest families of the
Lehigh Valley, is that rare type of farmer who
combines an appreciation of nature in her gentler
aspects with a practical, scientific knowledge of
agriculture. Indeed, since giving over the work
of the farm a few years ago, he finds an unfailing
source of interest in the study of plant life, in-
cluding its relation to soils, and in the study of
local geological formations.

The great-grandfather of Mr. Shimer was
Jacob Shimer, who was settled on a farm of con-
siderable pretensions in Bethlehem township. He
married a woman named Bial, whose father
gained celebrity for his religious work among the
soldiers during the Revolutionary war. Jacob
Shimer and his wife were both persons of conse-
quence in their community, where they were ex-
amples of probity and upright living. Seven
children were born to them, namely : John, Jo-
seph, Elizabeth, Jacob, Edward, Samuel, and
Abraham. The sons all became farmers, and
were prosperous and respected.

Of these children, Joseph, the second child
and second son, was born on his father's farm,
near Freemansburg, ]\Iay 2, 1795. He was edu-
cated at liome by private tutors, and was a man
of more than usual capacity. He married Cath-
erine, youngest child of Abraham and Susanna



Hubler, of Martins Creek, Northampton county,
who was born July 25, 1800. Abraham Hubler,
who came to Lower Mount Bethel in 1792, was
a large property owner, and he gave his daughter
on her marriage to Joseph Shimer a goodly dower
in land and money. The land, about four hun-
dred and fifty acres, was in two sections, a part
lying along the Delaware river, and the re-
mainder being situated near Bath, Pennsylvania.
Later, Mr. Hubler added to this gift of land,
bringing the acreage up to nine hundred and
making Joseph Shimer one of the largest land
holders of that region. Mr. Shimer settled on
that portion of the estate on the banks of the
Delaware, and spent his remaining years there.
The stone house in which he first lived was
built about 1750, by a landed proprietor who was
also a slave-owner. Many interesting traditions
remain with the family, in connection with these
early times. Upon the southern portion of this
estate was at one time a large village of Delaware
Indians, and their primitive implements and other
relics are still to be found by excavations on
the old site. It is said that David Brainerd,
the celebrated missionary to the Indians who died
in 1747, preached to this tribe of Delawares.
Catherine Hubler used often to watch from her
father's house, which was a few rods north of the
old stone house where she began her married life,
the deer passing fearlessly out from the wooded
bluffs, cross the low lands, swim the Delaware
river and disappear in the scrub oaks of the
barren New Jersey shore. The traveling of that
time was mostly on horseback, and Mrs. Shimer
as a young girl frequently formed one of a party
of thirty or forty young people who rode from
Martins Creek to church at Centerville, or went
on pleasure excursions about the sparsely settled
country. Joseph Shimer and his wife were
leading members and liberal supporters of the
Lutheran church. Mr. Shimer was one of the
most active among those who were instrumental
in the erection of the Lutheran and Reformed
churcli near Martins Creek in 1834, giving
largely to the cause, in both money and labor,
and after the organization of the society, being
honored with offices of trust. Joseph Shimer



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



48:



died August 13, 1878, his wife having died about
ten years before, on March 5, 1868. The chil-
dren of this couple were as follows : Jacob, born
January 18, 1819 ; Abraham, born August 25,
1820; Edward, born September 11, 1822; Eliza-
beth, born October 30, 1824; Susanna, born Feb-
ruary 5, 1827 ; Mary, born August 18, 1829 ;
Sarah, born March 15, 1832; Hubler, bom March
19, 1834; Joseph D., born October 12, 1845.

Abraham, second child and second son of
Joseph and Catherine (Hubler) Shimer, was born
August 18, 1820, on his father's farm at Mar-
tins Creek, and was educated in the public schools
of the township. From his father he inherited
one hundred and fifty acres of land, situated near
the south forks formed by the Delaware river
and Martins Creek. He added to this two adjoin-
ing farms, making in all three hundred and thirty
acres, the estate being subsequently divided
among his three sons. His own farming opera-
tions were conducted on a large scale, and with
much intelligence. He sustained the interest
which his parents showed in religious matters,
and like his father was mstrumental in building
a church. He contributed one thousand dollars
to the fund for the erection of the Lutheran
church in 1864, and was one of its most liberal
supporters up to the time of his death. He was
active in all departments of the church, having
held almost every office from trustee to super-
intendent of the Sunday-School. At this church
the Brainerd Society of Lafayette College, of
Easton, Pennsylvania, have erected a memorial
to David Brainerd, it being almost on the site of
the hut he erected there in 1744, and in which
most of his remarkable journal was written.
December 8, 1842, Abraham Shimer married
Sarah A., daughter of John Rosenberry, of Mar-
tins Creek. Three children were born of the mar-
riage : John Calvin. Joseph R., and William.

John Calvin, oldest child of Abraham and
Sarah (Rosenberry) Shimer, was born on the
homestead at Martins Creek, April 5, 1844. He
was educated in the local public schools, and also
studied at the Belvidere (New Jersey) Academy.
After his marriage, in 1867, he completed a
course in the C. L. S. C. and from this time he



has been a student of scientific agriculture, giv-
ing especial attention to the nature and adapta-
bility of soils. He inherited from his father a
farm of one hundred and ten acres, which he has
made a notable example of intensive agriculture.
He believes that the same amount of labor ex-
pended on a large farm under ordinary cultiva-
tion, may be applied to half the land with better
return, if it is applied with foresight and intel-
lio-ence He retired from active farm work in
1900, but he keeps up his interest in botanical
studies, and is an expert in the flora of his
county. From his early years he has been an
active member of the Lutheran church at Martins
Creek. He became organist there at the age of
fourteen, and filled the position for twenty-five
years. He has held various offices in the church
organization during his long membership.

He married Maria Engler, of Martins Creek,
December 5, 1867, and five children have been
born, namely, Arthur B., born April 8, 1869;
Herberg, April 17, 1872; Flora V., September i,
1874; Chester E., September 26, 1877; and
Blanche, February 20, 1885. The sons have al-
ready made good records in professional lines.
Arthur B. was graduated from Lerch's prepara-
tory school at Easton, after elementary training
in the neighborhood schools. He then became a
clerk in Scrapie's drug store in Easton, subse-
quently going to Philadelphia where he held a
similar position, at the same time matriculating
in the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. He fin-
ished his course in the College of Pharmacy in
1893, and in 1896 was graduated from the Chir-
urgical Medical College. In the year of his grad-
uation he received an appointment as resident
physician in the Atlantic City Sanitarium. Af-
ter a year in this position, he entered upon active
practice in the city, and has since been appointed
to the staff of the Atlantic City Hospital. Her-
berg received his preparatory instruction at
Lerch's Academ.y in Easton, and entered Gettys-
burg College. Failing health obliged him to
give up his college work, and he spent three
vears on his father's farm in out-of-door occu-
pations, doing some teaching meanwhile, in th:
eflfort to regain his strength. He was afterwrr 1



486



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



able to enter Lafayette College, receiving the
degree of A. B. from that institution in 1899.
He was offered a tutorship at Lafayette in mod-
ern languages, but he accepted only half the work
of the position, that he might devote a part of
his time to independent study in the lines of
geology and paleontology. He held this position
for two years, in 1901 entering Columbia Uni-
versity and receiving from the University the de-
gree of Ph. D. in 1903.

THE DENT HARDWARE COMPANY.
The Dent Hardware Company, of Fullerton, was
organized in 1894. It was incorporated with H.
H. Dent as president; Henry P. Newhard, as
secretary ; and Charles C. Kaiser, as treasurer.
The cash capital of the officers was limited, but
all were men of energy, excellent business ability,
executive force and strong determination, and
they entered upon what proved a most successful
career as manufacturers of hardware. Their
plant covers two acres of ground situated on an
excellent site between Catasauqua and Allentown,
in the village of Fullerton, and the growth of
the business is indicated by the fact that they now
have on their payroll two hundred employes.
A hundred horsepower engine is used in the
operation of the machinery and the product of
the foundry is trimmings for refrigerators and
cold-storage plants and iron toys. The average
output per month of the refrigerator trimmings
is about fifty thousand sets. When they began
business they had four customers on their books,
and at the present time they manufacture ninety-
five per cent of all the product in this line in the
world. Thus the enterprise has grown to
extensive and profitable proportions, and is
indicative of the business qualifications and keen
foresight of the officers of the company, who
have not only followed advanced ideas, but have
wrought along new lines and in a way have been
pioneers in this department of industrial activity.

OSCAR SEM GRIM, a resident of Allen-
town, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, whose busi-
ness career for a number of years has been de-
voted to agricultural pursuits which he has con-



ducted on a one hundred and forty acre farm,
the property of his father, is a son of Sem and
Anna Kline, the former named being a son of



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 86 of 92)