John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 87 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 87 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Jacob and Catherine (Hottenstein) Grim, and the
latter a daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Weiler)
Kline.

Jacob and Catherine (Hottenstein) Grim
(grandparents) reared a family of six children,
as follows: i. Jesse, who married Mary Knapp,
and their children are : Ephraim, who married
Mary Eckert, who bore him two children, Wil-
liam and Sarah, and after the death of his first
wife married Sarah Mowry, who bore him one
child, Mary, the wife of William Mosser; De-
borah, wife of William Eidleman, and mother of
the following named children : Celia, unmarried ;
Anna, wife of George Deifer ; Emma, unmarried ;
TilHe, married, and now resides out west ; Sarah,
wife of Frank Sterner, and Jacob, who married
Mary Siegfried. Jacob, who married Mary Sieg-
fried, and they were the parents of two children,
Celia and a son who died in infancy. William,
who married Eliza Ludwig, and their son Alfred
married for his first wife Miss Madden, and for
his second wife Miss Schumaker. Walter Jesse,
who married Eliza Dresher, and their children
are : Ida, wife of Henry Hunsicker, and mother
of five children — Walter, Hessa, Jessie, Rhoda,
and George Hunsicker ; George, who married
Emma Kressley, and their child is George. 2.
David, who married Kate Knapp, and the issue
of this union was four children — Daniel, David,
Peter and Henrietta. 3. Henry, unmarried. 4.
Sarah, wife of John Baily, and they are the par-
ents of three children — Hiram, Sarah and Mary
Baily. 5. Judith, wife of Jacob Appel, and their
family consists of two children — Jacob and Cath-
erine Appel. 6. Sem, mentioned hereinafter.

Sem and Anna (Kline) Grim (parents)
reared a family of five children, as follows: i.
Henry A., who married Maria Metzger, no issue ;
he is a doctor of medicine and practices in Allen-
town. 2. Isabella, wife of the Rev. A. J. Her-
man, and their children are — Annie, wife of Dr.
Richard Beck, and mother of four children —
Charles G., Florence, Edward and Sem Beck ;
Dr. Ambrose, who married Alice Breinig, and



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



487



their children are : Alfred, Thomas, Albert and
Marion Herman ; George, who married Mamie
Pott, and whose child is Benjamin. 3. Kate, wife
of David Garber, no issue. 4. Louise, unmarried.
5. Oscar Sem, mentioned hereinafter. Anna
(Kline) Grim, mother of these children, is one
of a family of five children, as follows, that were
born to Jonathan and Mary Kline, i. Anna,
mentioned above as the wife of Sem Grim. 2.
Lucetta, wife of the Rev. Samuel Hess, and they
are the parents of two children, Jeremiah S. and
Milton Hess. 3. Eliza, wife of George Schalter,
and mother of six children — Richard, Isabella,
Sarah, Mary, Emma and William Schalter. 4.
j\Iary, wife of William Kern, and their family
consists of the following named children : Albert,
Jonas, Mary, Ella, Elizabeth and William Kern.
5. James Kline, who married Mary Kern, and the
issue of this marriage was four children — Moul-
ton, Jonas, Elizabeth and Margaret Kline.

Oscar S. Grim, youngest child of Sem and
Anna (Kline) Grim, attended the public schools
in his native town, and after acquiring a thor-
ough preliminary training he completed his edu-
cation at Muhlenberg College, Allentown, Penn-
sylvania, in which city he made his home for a
number of years. After his graduation from that
well known and noted institution, he entered the
Hersh hardware store, and devoted about five
years to gaining a complete knowledge of the
numerous details of this business. At the expira-
tion of this period of time he returned to his
birthplace and assumed the management of one
of his father's farms, consisting of one hundred
and forty acres of valuable land, and up to the
present time (1904) has given this occupation
his entire attention. He operates an extensive
dairy stock, and the balance of his land is devoted
to the production of general farm products. He
holds membership in the Lutheran church. In
national politics he is a strong Republican, but
takes no active interest in state or city affairs,
preferring business pursuits to politics. Mr.
Grim is unmarried, and makes his home in a
modern and comfortable residence on the princi-
pal street in Allentown, Pennsylvania.



JEFFERSON D. CHRISTMAN, J\l. D., for
twenty-eight years an active representative of the
medical fraternity in Allentown, was born in
Pennsburg, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania,
June 22, 1855. He is of Holland ancestry.

Philip Christman (great-grandfather) emi-
grated from Holland in 1727 with his two broth-
ers, Jacob and George, landing in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. The three brothers separated,
and from them all the members of the Christman
family in America are descended. Philip Christ-
man subsequently located in Church Hill, Bucks
county, Pennsylvania. Daniel Christman (grand-
father) married Miss Elizabeth Hofifman, and
they reared a family of six children : Thomas,
who was a farmer and speculator, and resided on
the old homestead ; Maria ; Silas, who followed
the profession of school teacher ; William, father
of Dr. Christman ; Lewis, who was engaged as a
merchant in Bucks county, Pennsylvania ; and
Caroline. Daniel Christman was a successful
agriculturist. William Christman (father) was
a merchant, conducting his business in Penns-
burg, Pennsylvania. He married Miss Susanna
Graber, also a native of Pennsylvania, and they
reared their family in Pennsburg.

Dr. Christman spent the days of his boyhood
and youth in his native town, Pennsburg. His
preliminary education was acquired in the public
schools and was supplemented by study in Ur-
sinus College at Collegeville, Montgomery coun-
ty. When his literary education was completed
he entered the medical department of the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, from which he was grad-
uated with the class of 1876, of which he was the
secretary. Immediately afterward he located for
practice in Allentown, where he has since re-
mained, and his twenty-eight years' identification
with the professional interests of the city have
demonstrated his possession of the requisite qual-
ities for a successful career as a physician and
surgeon. His knowledge has been constantly
broadened by reading and research, and he keeps
in touch with the most modern ideas bearing upon
his calling. No discovery relative to the medical
or surgical science is announced that he does not



488



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



at once proceed to become better acquained with
it, and to adapt it to his own uses if he believes
that it will prove of practical value in the allevia-
tion of human suffering. He is a specialist in
pelvic surgery, and his practice in this particular
branch is not limited to his home locality, for he
is frequently called long distances in consulta-
tion or for assistance in the performance of an
extremely difficult operation. In addition to the
duties of a large private practice. Dr. Christman
is now serving as the regular local medical exam-
iner for numerous insurance companies, for some
time served as health officer of Allentown, and
at this writing is a member of the city board of
health. He was also coroner-surgeon, his official
service being always in the line of his profession.
He is a member of the Lehigh Valley Medical
Association, and also of various secret orders.
His political support is given to the Democracy,
and he has represented his party in various state
conventions.

Dr. Christman was married June i8, 1878, to
Miss Alice M. Shinier, a daughter of E. S.
■Shimer, former mayor of Allentown, and they
have two children, Florence M., and Edward W.
Christman. During the several generations rep-
resented here the family have been members of
the Reformed church.

HENRY P. NEWHARD, general superin-
tendent and secretary of the Dent Hardware
Company, is a descendant of one of the old fami-
lies of the Lehigh Valley. George Frederick
Newhard, the founder of the family in America,
was a native of Zweebrucken on the Rhine, and
came to America in 1737, taking passage on the
sailing vessel "St. Andrew," which carried four
hundred and fifty passengers, and dropped anchor
in the harbor of Philadelphia on the 26th of Sep-
tember. George Frederick Newhard settled in
Whitehall township, Lehigh county, where in
1742 he obtained a warrant for two hundred and
three acres lying along Coplay creek. In 1746
he purchased two hundred and fifty acres bor-
dering Jordan creek, and, taking up his abode
thereon, he built a log house near the present mill
dam. and occupied that dwelling up to the time of



his death, which occurred in 1770. His children
were Frederick, Lawrence, Christopher, Daniel,
Peter, Julian, Salome, Sophia and Elizabeth B.

Frederick and Lawrence Newhard obtained
by deed of release the two hundred and fifty acres
of land mentioned above, and also an adjoining
tract of one hundred and twenty-one acres. The
other children of George Frederick Newhard
continued to live in Whitehall township, and
Daniel received a patent for eighty-six acres of
land, while Peter Newhard purchased a farm bor-
dering the Lehigh river. On the loth of March,
1789, Frederick and Lawrence Newhard divided
their landed possessions, and the former kept his
portion up to the time of his death, which oc-
curred in 1794. He was tire father of nine chil-
dren, namely : Daniel ; Henry ; Peter ; George
A. ; Abraham ; Frederick ; John ; Catherine, who
became the wife of Jacob Strauss ; and Eli2:abeth.

Daniel Newhard, the eldest son of Frederick
Newhard, became the owner of his father's old
homestead in 1795, and retained possession there-
of up to the time of his demise, which occurred
September 14, 1840. His family numbered eight
children : Josephine, Charles, Abraham, Henr}',
James, Reuben, Ann and Catherine. Of this
number Reuben, Josephine and Henry occupied
the old homestead, while Charles purchased a
farm in South Whitehall, and James settled in
Egypt. Abraham also lives on the old homestead.

The southeastern portion of the original tract
of land purchased by George Frederick Newhard
was owned by his son, Lawrence, until his death,
which occurred in 1817. He was the father of
eleven children, namely : Frederick, Christian,
John, Jacob, Peter, John, David, Daniel, Eliza-
beth, Anna M. and Sally. Of these Frederick re-
moved to the west and Peter and John became
residents of Allentown. The former was a black-
smith by trade, and the latter died in Allentown in
1850, at the age of sixty-seven years. He had two
sons and four daughters : Paul, Joseph, Mrs. De-
borah Clark, Mrs. Eliza Butz, Mrs. Caroline
George and Mrs. Eleanora Mullin.

Paul Newhard was an extensive farmer, hav-
ing purchased tracts of land owned by Philip
Verbal, Jacob \\'ertz, Stephen Snyder and Daniel




P^fo-^^ /. /t^i^i^H-^^^^^



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



489



Newhard. He owned his large farm up to the
time of his death, which occurred in 1858, when
he was forty-nine years of age. He left two sons,
Franklin J. and Lewis P. Newhard. The elder
son became the owner of the entire tract of land
which his father had possessed, but subsequ'ently
sold a portion of this to his brother. Franklin
J. Newhard was united in marriage to Christiana
M., daughter of Henry Schadt. The children of
this marriage, five in number, were: Eugene,
now deceased ; Anna M., the deceased wife of
J. O. Sterner ; Henry P. ; Edward J., a carpenter ;
and Airs. Ella M. Deifenderfer.

Henry P. Newhard was born in Whitehall
township, Lehigh county, on the 29th of Novem-
ber, 1862, spent his boyhood days on the home
farm, and was educated in the public schools. In
his fifteenth year he began learning the machinist
trade in Fullerton, and after completing his ap-
prenticeship served as a journeyman for several
years. His ability and skill as a workman and
the management of men won him promotion to
the position of foreman of the Allentown Hard-
ware Works at Allentown, and after occupying
that position for two years he became interested
in the organization of the Dent Hardware Com-
pany and was chosen its secretary, and subse-
quently was made general superintendent, which
position he now fills.

Henry P. Newhard was married in 1886 to
Miss Agnes A. Rhoades, a daughter of Robert
and Mary Rhoades, of Egypt, Pennsylvania, and
they have one child, Miles R., born in 1890. Mr.
Newhard is a member of the Fullerton Beneficial
Association and is now acting as its treasurer.

CHARLES AUGUSTUS FENNER, who
was born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, April 12,
1870, died October 20, 1889. Hardly more than
a half century after the establishment of the col-
ony of Pennsylvania the Fenner family was
planted within its borders. Felix Fenner, a direct
ancestor of Charles A. Fenner, was born at Phil-
adelphia, September 21, 1733, and died March 8,
1829. He married one of the daughters of An-
drew Eschenbach. She was born August 29,
1757, at Obey, and died at Bethlehem, May 30,



1839. Felix Fenner and his wife resided at vari-
ous times at Nockamixon, Bucks county, Penn-
sylvania, and at Plainfield, Northampton county,
and for a long period managed the large Alora-
vian farm at Bethlehem. Their son, George Fen-
ner, was born at Nockamixon, Bucks county, De-
cember 28, 1790, and was laid to rest in the cem-
etery of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in 1829. His
son, Felix Fenner, Jr., was united in marriage to
Miss Mary Louisa Crist, a native of Emaus, and
they became the parents of three sons — William,
Francis E., and Eugene Fenner.

Of this number, Francis E., the second, was
born September 29, 1846, on the farm of the
Moravian Seminary, in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania,
and in this vicinity he was reared and educated
in the Moravian parochial school. He served with
the One Hundred and Fifty-ninth Pennsylvania
Regiment, under the emergency call of 1862. In
1868 he became associated with his father in the
firm of F. Fenner & Sons, and was so engaged
until 1883, when he withdrew to become actively
connected with the South Bethlehem Supply
Company, with which corporation he remained,
assisting in the management of the business, un-
til his death, which occurred December 11, 1899,
at the age of fifty-three years. At the time of his
death and for many years preceding it, he was
president of the Schiller Silver Mining Company
of Colorado. He was a member of the Moravian
church, in which he took a great interest and held
a number of offices. He rebuilt the house in
which his family now resides in the year 1884.
His wife, whose maiden name was Emma E.
Fenstermacher, was born in Lower Nazareth,
Pennsylvania, a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth
(Rohn) Fenstermacher. Mr. Fenstermacher fol-
lowed the occupation of farming during the early
years of his life, later was a carpenter and builder,
and prior to his death, which occurred in 1903,
aged seventy-seven years, he lived a retired life.
His wife, who was a native of Nazareth, Penn-
sylvania, and who died in the year 1886, bore him
eleven children, four of whom are now living,
namely : Mrs. Emma E. Fenner, widow of Fran-
cis E. Fenner; John, a resident of Philadelphia;
Mrs. Becker, who resides in Bethlehem : and



490



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Jacob, who resides in the west. Tlie members
of botli the Fenstermacher and Rohn families
were regular attendants of the Moravian church,
in which they held membership.

Francis E. and Emma E. Fenner were the
parents of eight children, five of whom are living
at the present time (1904), as follows: i. Marie,
who became the wife of Alfred K. Leuckel, of
Trenton, New Jersey; 2. Anna, who became the
wife of Charles Anderson, of Philadelphia, a train
dispatcher; 3. Francis, who married Elizabeth
Holstein, and they are the parents of one child,
Francis Edward Fenner, who is in busi-
ness in Bethlehem ; 4. Lillie, who became the wife
of Benjamin Drake, of Plainfield, New Jersey,
an employe of the iron and brass works there :
their family consists of two daughters — Eliza-
beth,' and Catherine Drake ; 5. H. A., proprietor
of a drug store at the corner of Broad street and
Columbia avenue, Philadelphia. Mr. Fenner took
a keen interest in the education of his children,
his daughters attending Linden Hall Seminary,
and his sons attending Palatine College, Lehigh
University and Orchard Lake Military College.

Charles Augustus Fenner, son of Francis E.
and Emma E. (Fenstermacher) Fenner, was a
young man of great promise. The foundation of
his education was laid in the Moravian parochial
school at Bethlehem, which he attended until his
sixteenth year, when he pursued a preparatory
course of study at Swartz Academy. In Septem-
ber, 1887, he was enrolled as a student in Pala-
tine College at Myerstown, and after his gradu-
ation from that institution pursued advanced
studies at Lehigh University and Orchard Lake
Military College. In 1889, however, a few
months prior to his death, he was compelled
through failing health to discontinue his studies.
He was a young man of exemplary life, who
possessed the respect of all who knew him. He
held membership in the Moravian church at
Bethlehem, in which he had been confirmed in
April, 1887.

OWEN F. LEIBERT, for many years prom-
mently identified with the Bethlehem Iron Works,
and who rose to the position of general superin-



tendent of that mammoth corporation, is a native
of Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, born in Han-
over township, August 27, 1836. His American
progenitors were of that splendid German immi-
gration which came from the Rheinpfalz to
America, here seeking that civil and religious
liberty which was denied them in their native
land.

His great-great-grandfather, Michael Leibert,
a Catholic in religion, was among those immi-
grants who on their coming settled in German-
town, Pennsylvania. He conducted a hotel. He
died while yet a young man, and his widow mar-
ried a Mr. Fenstermacher, a Moravian, and they
removed to Lititz, where occurred the death of
the latter named, and his wife, now twice a
widow, made her home in Bethlehem, where she
died. Martin Leibert, son of Michael the immi-
grant, was born in Germantown and followed
mechanical pursuits, making spinning wheels at
Emaus. His son Henry, born at Emaus, who
was a millwright, miller and distiller on Leibert's
creek, married Catherine Knauss, the daughter of
a Moravian farmer, and they were the parents of
John Leibert.

John Leibert was born at Leibert's Gap. in
Milford township, Lehigh county, October 3,
1808. He resided for a time in Hanover town-
ship, in the same county, and in 1839 removed to
Catasauqua, where he was employed as a mill-
wright under George Frederick. Subsequently
he was appointed chief of the power works of
the Crane (afterwards Catasauqua) Iron Com-
pany. He died April i, 1845, '" the full tide nf
his usefulness, at the early age of less than thirty-
eight years. His wife was Catherine Owens Tice,
Ijorn in New York state, whose father was a na-
tive of Nova Scotia and a sailor, and her mother
of London, England. They settled in the Saucon
Valley, where both parents died, leaving then-
daughter an orphan at the early age of ten years.
She was then cared for by Peter Swartz, in
Upper Milford township. She was a Lutheran in
religion, while her husband was a Moravian. She
long outlived him. The children born of her
marriage with Mr. Leibert were: Mary A., who
became the wife of James Nevins, and is de-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



491



ceased ; Sophia, deceased ; Henry, who for many
years had charge of the machine shops of the
Bethlehem Iron Company ; Owen F., who is to
be further referred to in this narrative; Sarah
Jane ; and Gwenny P., who became the wife of
Mr. Price. The first and last of these children
died in Catasauqua.

Owen F. Leibert, son of John and Catherine
Owens (Tice) Leibert, was reared in Catasauqua
and acquired his education in the public schools.
He was only eight years old when his father died,
and David Thomas, superintendent of the Crane
Iron Works, became his legal guardian. Under
Mr. Thomas he worked from the tiine he was
eleven years old until he was twenty-six, and dur-
ing this long period became a most accomplished
ironmaster. When thirteen he had gone into the
blacksmith shop, and he learned so well that de-
partment of the work that he became foreman of
the shop. In 1862 he became associated with
Daniel Milson in a manufacturing enterprise at
Norristown. In the following year he removed
to Bethlehem, where he took employment as a
blacksmith in the shops of the Bethlehem Iron
Company. Later he worked as a machinist with
his brother Henry. He subsequently returned to
Catasauqua, where he was for sixteen months
foreman of the blacksmithing department of the
car shops. Again he returned to Bethlehem,
where he was for some time a draftsman with the
Bethlehem Iron Company. He was afterward
made foreman of the steel works, and he re-
mained in that capacity for twelve years and until
1885, when he went to Wheeling, West Virginia,
where he was for nine months engaged in the
Riverside Iron Works. In 1886 he returned
again to Bethlehem, where he was destined to
pass the remainder of his unusually active and
useful life. He became assistant engineer of the
Bethlehem Iron Works under John Fritz, general
superintendent and chief engineer, and he
served in that capacity until 1893. In January of
that year Mr. Leibert was appointed general su-
perintendent, and had personal control of the ex-
tensive plant of the Bethlehem Iron Works with
its army of four thousand employees, until 1899,
when were added to his duties those of chief en-



gineer, and he rendered unexceptionable service
in this twofold capacity until October, 1901, when
he resigned and went into a pleasant and well
earned retirement.

Mr. Leibert has for many years been actively
identified with the commercial and social life of
his city. He is a director in the Guerber Engine
Company of Bethlehem, and the Catskill Cement
Company near New York, and is a stockholder
in the First National Bank of Bethlehem. In
religion he is a Moravian. He has always been a
staunch Republican in politics, and he has always
exerted a potent influence in support of the prin-
ciples and policies of his party, at the same time
being entirely free from political ambition and
never having sought those public positions which
were frequently within his grasp had he been
possessed of any inclination in that direction.

He was married, January 28, 1864, to Miss
Mary M. Warner, a daughter of Benjamin War-
ner. The family occupy a handsome home in
the best residential portion of the city, on Market
street.

JOHN WEAVER TRUMBOWER, a pro-
gressive and influential resident of Nazareth,
Pennsylvania, was born in East Allen township,
December 8, 1845, a son of Stephen Jacob and
Maria (Weaver) Trumbower.

Stephen Jacob Trumbower (father) was born
in Lynn township, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania,
January 28, 1812, a descendant of a German an-
cestry. Later his parents moved to Bucks county,
near Quakertown, where his father carried on the
tanning business. Stephen J. learned and fol-
lowed the millwright trade, pursuing that occupa-
tion in Northampton and adjoining counties, con-
ducting an extensive business which enabled him
to give employment to a large number of
workmen until 1859, in which year he
moved to his large farm near Jackson-
ville, East Allen township, Northampton county.
He continued farming very successfully until
1868, after which he lived a retired life, sur-
rounded with peace and plenty, and realizing to
the full that there is no reward so satisfactory
as the consciousness of a life well spent. He



492



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



took a great interest in educational matters, and
was one of the promoters of the Weaversville
Academy. His death was caused by an accident
while superintending the construction of a dwell-
ing on his farm at Trichlers, Lehigh township,
August 20, 1879. Mr. Trumbower was twice
married. His first wife, Maria, who died March
23, 1853, was a daughter of Michael and Mag-
deline (Fatzinger) Weaver, the former named
having been a prominent tanner and merchant of
Weaversville, Northampton county, and a soldier
of the war of 1812. Mr. Trumbower was married
second to Elizabeth (Swartz) Heistand, in 1855,
and she died in August, i



The children of
Stephen J. and Maria (Weaver) Trumbower
were :

1. Fannie M., born April 9, 1842, was edu-
cated in the public schools and Weaversville
Academy. September 16, 1862, she became the



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 87 of 92)