John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 89 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 89 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was reared upon the parental farm, and was a
farmer throughout his life. His education was
limited to such as was afforded by the neighbor-
hood schools, but he was a man of strong char-
acter and excellent judgment, and prospered in
his worldly concerns, at the same time enjoving
the respect and confidence of the community. He
was married in 1847 to Polly Graver, also a na-
tive of Moore township, born in 1830, a daugh-
ter of George and Maria (Krock) Graver. Born



498



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



of this marriage were the following named chil-
dren : I. George V., born September 26, 1848. He
received an academical education, after which he
taught school for some years, finally taking up
the trade of painter, in which he still continues.
He is now serving as a magistrate. He married
Mary A. Bachman, and to them have been born
two children — Ellen, and Elmer Thomas Danner.
2. Thomas D., to be referred to at length herein-
after. 3. JNIary, w^ho became the wife of Charles
P. Smith. 4. Sarah, who became the wife of Val-
entine Nagel.

Thomas Daniel, second child and son of John
Adam and Polly (Graver) Danner, was born at
the family home in jMoore township, September
15, 185 1. He spent his early years upon the
parental farm and bore such part in its working
as his years would warrant. He began his educa-
tion in the public schools in his native village, and
pursued advanced course in the Weaversville
Academy and the State Normal School in Kutz-
town, and to such good purpose that he for some
years rendered such acceptable service as a
teacher as to afford assurance that he would at-
tain eminence in that calling if he should persist
in it. He was, however, determined upon a legal
career, and he entered the famous Law Depart-
ment of the University of Michigan, at Ann Ar-
bor, from which he was graduated in 1879. He
was at once admitted to practice in the courts of
Michigan, and was there occupied in his profes-
sion for something more than ten years. In
1890 he returned to Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania, was admitted to the bar, and has since
that time made Easton his home and the principal
field of his professional effort. Entering upon
his work with enthusiasm and unflagging indus-
try, he soon received signal recognition of his
ability. In 1892, only two years after entering
upon practice in Easton, he was chosen solicitor
to the board of inspectors of the Northampton
county prison, which position he held for a period
of ten rears. In 1898 he was elected slicitor of
the city of Easton, and at the expiration of his
two years term was re-elected. His personal
practice meantime grew to large proportions, and
he has gathered to his care the interests of as



large and important a clientele as any member of
ihe bar of his county.

A Democrat in politics, Mr. Danner has per-
formed party service of the highest usefulness,
and with great credit to himself. In 1900 he was
elected chairman of the Democratic committee
of Northampton county, and he was chosen to
succeed himself in the two annual elections fol-
lowing. In this position he displayed excellent
powers of leadership, and in 1903 was nom-
inated by his party as a candidate for the state
senate, and conducted his campaign with so much
enthusiasm that he defeated his Republican oppon-
ent by more than two thousand votes. Mr. Dan-
ner succeeded to the seat of the late Senator
Kemerer, who died during the session of the leg-
islature in 1901, after attending only a few meet-
ings of the body to which he had been chosen.
Senator Danner was at once placed upon a nuni-
ber of the most important committees, an unusual
distinction for a member in his first term — the
committees on corporations, education, insurance,
judiciary general, judiciary special, library,
mines and mining, public printing, and railroads.
While industrious in the discharge of duty con-
nected with all these several bodies. Senator
Danner was particularly valuable on the judiciary
general committee, his deep knowledge of law
and his clear judicial judgment affording him a
most effective equipment in a position where real
legal ability can not but be conducive to the pub-
lic interest, and where lack of this quality would
work incalculable injury. Throughout the ses-
sion Senator Danner had charge of the formula-
tion of much salutary legislation, and acquitted
himself in such manner as to receive the sincere
commendation of his colleagues, without respect
to political considerations.

Senator Danner is a leading member of the
Pomfret Club, of the Jacksonian Democratic As-
sociation, and is an honorary member of the
A. O. M. With his family, he is a member of
the Reformed church of Easton.

He was married, in 1879, to IMiss Sally A.
Howell, daughter of Theodore H. Howell, of
Seigfried's Bridge, Allen township, Northampton
county, Pennsylvania. The children born of this



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



499



marriage were Samuel H., John H., Susie L.,
J\Iamie L., and Harriet M. Banner. Mrs. Ban-
ner, a woman of lovely character, and a most de-
voted wife and mother, died Becember 26, 1891,
deeply mourned, not only in the immediate circle
of relatives and friends, but in the church and
community at large.

SOLOMON STERN BACHMAN, :M. B.
Occupying an enviable position in the ranks of
the medical fraternity of Easton, Pennsylvania,
is Br. Solomon S. Bachman, a son of William
and Julia Ann (Stern) Bachman, whose birth oc-
curred in Riegelsville, Durham township, Bucks
county, Pennsylvania, Becember 28, 1836.

Solomon Bachman, grandfather of Br. Bach-
man, was a miller by trade and pursued this oc-
cupation for a number of years in Hellertown,
Northampton county, subsequently removing to
Bucks county. He was an upright, conscientious
man, and faithfully performed the duties of hus-
band, father and citizen. He married Anna
Atherholdt, and the issue of this union was nine
children, as follows : Mary, Anna, Levina, John,
Solomon, William, Samuel, Jacob, and Sarah
Bachman. Mr. Bachman was formerly a mem-
ber of the Mennonite church, and later held mem-
bership in the Reformed church.

\\'illiam Bachman, father of Br. Bachman,
was born in Burham township, Bucks county,
Pennsylvania. He was educated in the schools
of that neighborhood, reared upon a farm, and
resided with his parents until his marriage to
Julia Ann Stern, October 8, 1834. He then set-
tled on a farm near the town of Riegelsville,
Bucks county, which he successfully conducted
for many years, and reared a family of seven chil-
dren, all of whom grew to manhood and woman-
liood. Their children were : Solomon Stern, born
Becember 28, 1836; Emeline, born July 9, 1839;
'\\'illiam Henry, born ]\Iarch 14, 1840. served his
country during the trying period of the Civil
war; Isaac S., born October 5, 1841 ; Owen, born
September 15, 1844: Felix, born May 8, 1848,
died in the service of the United States govern-
ment during the Civil war : Anna Salome, born
■October 8, 1850. Mr. Bachman, the father of



this family, was a member of the Reformed
church, a Bemocrat in politics, and his death oc-
curred in Easton, Pennsylvania.

Br. Solomon S. Bachman obtained his pre-
liminary education at the Allentown Seminary,
and this was supplemented by attendance at Muh-
lenberg College, from which institution he was
graduated in 1862. His first business experience
was gained as a teacher in Lehigh county, Penn-
sylvania, which position he retained for six or
seven years. He then resolved to prepare for the
practice of medicine, and to this end entered the
Medical Bepartment of the Lmiversity of Ver-
mont, and later matriculated in the Long Island
College Hospital. In 1870 he located in Easton,
Pennsylvania, opened an office for the practice of
medicine and surgery, and since that date has
steadily advanced until he now occupies a posi-
tion of distinction equaled by few. In addition
to his extensive and lucrative practice Br. Bach-
man serves as examiner for several life insurance
companies, and for nine years was a physician to
the coroner of Easton. He was a member of the
school board for six years, four of which he
also served in the capacity of chairman of that
body. He is a prominent member of the North-
ampton County Medical Society. In politics he
is a staunch advocate of the principles of the
Bemocratic party, and in religion adheres to the
tenets of the Reformed church, in which organi-
zation he has held membership for many years.

On September 29, 1863, Br. Bachman married
Emma Louisa Worman, daughter of Abraham
Worman, of Allentown, Pennsylvania. Their
children are: Edgar Baniel, Annie E., and ]\Ior-
ton W., Doctor of Dental Surgery.

GEORGE WASHINGTON COLEMAN,
who resides on a well cultivated and productive
farm of eighty-five acres situated between Beth-
lehem and Easton, in Northampton county, Penn-
sylvania, is a thoroughgoing and enterprising
business man, honest and reliable in all his trans-
actions, and is respected by all who come in con-
tact with his either in a business or social relation.
He was born in Palma township, July 27, 1845, ^
son of William H. and Susanna (Stauffer) Cole-



500



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



man, grandson of Benjamin Coleman, who was
twice married, his first wife having been Cathe-
rine Schwartz and his second wife Mary Stecker,
and a great-grandson of John Coleman, a public-
spirited and prominent citizen of the state of
Pennsylvania.

William H. Coleman (father) was actively
identified with the various enterprises of F'alma
township, where he resided for many years, and
in this section of the state he and his wife Su-
sanna (Stauffer) Coleman, daughter of Abra-
ham D. and ]\Iary (Deemer) Stauffer, reared a
family of four children, all of whom attained
years of maturity and led lives of usefulness and
activity. Their children are: i. George W., men-
tioned at length in the following paragraph ; 2.
D. L., at the present time (1903) one of the
leading ministers of the city of Easton ; he mar-
ried Miss Brot, and they are the parents of three
children; 3. Levi J., married Emma Webber;
4. Susanna, wife of Philip Heil, one of the pros-
perous farmers of Bethlehem township, and
formerl}' a member of the state legislature ; their
family consists of three children: i. Elizabeth
Susanna, wife of F. D. Reagan, and their chil-
dren are : Philip Heil, Elizabeth Susanna, and
Arthur G. Reagan ; 2. William Henry, who mar-
ried Mary Bochman : 3. Samuel Heil.

George W. Coleman acquired his rudimen-
tary education in the public schools of Palma
township, later was a student at the Bethlehem
Academy, and subsequently completed his course
of instruction in the academy at Easton. During
the period of time that he was pursuing his stud-
ies he assisted his father with the duties of the
farm, thus becoming thoroughly proficient in that
line of industry, and upon the completion of his
school term he devoted his entire time and atten-
tion to this occupation, remaining with his
father for fifteen years. He then purchased four
acres of ground on which he erected a modern and
substantial house which is one of the most taste-
ful and handsome homes between Bethlehem and
Easton, and in addition to this he became the
owner of eighty-five acres of rich and arable land
which he now operates for general farming pur-
poses. In 1883 ]\Ir. Coleman entered into an-



other enterprise in connection with his agricul-
tural pursuits, the sale of agricultural implements
on commission for some of the most extensive
houses in the country, and subsequently he estab-
lished a like business on his own account, carry-
ing a complete line of everything requisite for
modern farming purposes. Although his busi-
ness interests claim the greater portion of his
time, he is not neglectful of his duties as a citi-
zen and he also devotes considerable attention ta
matters which are calculated to advance the wel-
fare of the community. Mr. Coleman has served
as a member of the board of education, and also
as town auditor, and during his administration
the duties of both offices were discharged in a
capable and efficient manner. He is a member
of the Lutheran church, and his political views
are strongly in favor of the principles of the Re-
publican party. He is a member of the Patrons
of Husbandry.

Mr. Coleman was united in marriage to Ellen
E. Edelman, a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth
(Buss) Edelman.

ISAAC O. PERSON, of South Bethlehem,
Northampton county, Pennsylvania, is one of
the energetic and prosperous farmers of the sec-
tion. His immediate predecessors in the family
line have been farmers for several generations,
and he has an inborn love of country life and a
prepossession for productive labor.

His grandfather, Henry Person, married
Mary Reigle, and had a family of four children,
as follows: Philip, who married a woman named
Harwich, and had two sons ; Henry, who is men-
tioned at more length in the following paragraph ;
Jacob, who married Elizabeth Byle, and was the
father of four children ; Abraham, whose wife
was Harriet Taylor, and whose family consisted
of seven children.

Henry, second son and second child of Henry
and Mary (Reigle) Person, was born about 1790.
He was one of the earliest settlers of Bucks
county, where for many years he was a well
known citizen. He was a soldier in the war of
18 1 2, and was stationed with his regiment at Mar-
cus Hook, near the city of Chester. After the



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



^oi



close of the war he returned to Bucks county
and started a blacksmithing and wheehvright
business, which he carried on for many years in
connection with his farm. He was pushing and
industrious, and trained his sons in his various
hnes of work. He held strong convictions, and
was ever ready to uphold them either in argu-
ment or in conduct. He was a member of the
Reformed church, and belonged to the Demo-
cratic party. He married Sarah Overbeck, and
had a family of seven children, as follows: i.
^lary Ann, who married Samuel Leith, and is the
mother of one son ; 2. Hannah, who married Da-
vid Knecht, but who has no children ; 3. Isaac,
whose name appears as the heading of this article ;
4. Sarah, who married Jacob Leith and became
the mother of five children ; 5. Catherine, who
married Isaac Koebling, and is the mother of
seven children ; 6. Melinda ; 7. Emeline.

Isaac O., third child and first son of Henr}-
and Sarah (Overbeck) Person, was born in Bucks
county in 1 82 1. He acquired a practical educa-
tion in the public schools, and early began his life
work as a farmer. He has been a good manager
and has made a study of scientific methods of
agriculture, and his business has prospered. In
1858 he bought the farm he now occupies, then
known as the old Lynn farm, which at the time
comprised one hundred and thirty-five acres. He
cultivated this land for many years, raising a gen-
eral line of farm crops, but recently he has sold
portions of it, thereby reducing the holding to
fortv-two acres. The farm as now operated is
under the management of his oldest son.

Isaac O. Person married Elizabeth \\'agoner,

a daughter of Jacob and ( Reinsheimer).

Jacob, who was a son of John Wagoner, had a
familv of nine children as follows: i. Susan,
who married a man named Engleman and ha<l
five children : 2. Kate, who married John Steh-
ler, and is the mother of three children ; 3. Sarah.
who married Samuel Lerch, and is the mother of
nine children ; 4. Mary, who married Levi Boehm
and had seven children ; 5. Elizabeth, who mar-
ried Isaac O. Person ; 6. Charles, who married
^Nliss Steimier, and is the father of four children ;
7. John, who married Elizabeth Stewer, and is the



father of twelve children ; 8. Jacob, deceased ; 9.
Abraham, deceased.

Isaac O. and Elizabeth (Wagoner) Person are
the parents of four children. INIilton, the oldest
child, now manager of his father's farm and a
member of the board of education at South Beth-
lehem, married Lucinda Reigle. She is descended
through her mother from the Oberly family, well
known in that portion of the state since the
earliest settlement. The founder of this family
was Rudolph Oberly, a German settler of the
earlv part of the eighteen century. He mar-
ried Margaret Harbell, and had six children, of
whom Anthony was the third child and second
son. Anthony Oberly was married twice, the
first wife, Rebecca Freeman, being the mother
of two sons. John, the second of these sons, mar-
ried a Christman, and had a family of seven chil-
dren. Elizabeth being the youngest child and fifth
daughter. Elizabeth Oberly married William Rei-
gle, and became the mother of the following four
children : Preston H., who married a Fatzinger ;
Elmina, who married James Hoover and is the
mother of four children ; Lucinda, who became
the wife of Milton Person, and has one child,
Hattie Reigle ; Mary, who married Morris Diehl,
and is the mother of nine children.

Minerva, second child and first daughter of
Isaac and Elizabeth (Wagoner) Person, became
the wife of Titus Weaver. She is the mother of
four children, namely : Irvin, who married Cora
Staufifer, and has one child, Paul ; Edward, who
married Lizzie Ruth ; Emily, who married Stuart
Reigle ; Clara.

Robert, married Emma ]Mease, and six chil-
dren have been born : Clifford, deceased, ]\Iabel,
Carrie, Isaac, Clarion, and Russell Stewart.

;\Iary, married C. B. Weaver and is the
mother of si.x children, namely: Margaret, de-
ceased, Harriet, George, Elizabeth, ^lartha. and
Helen.

CHARLES EDWARD :MILS0X. a capital-
ist with extensive and varied investments in en-
terprises of Catasauqua and the Lehigh Valley,
is of English lineage, a grandson of Charles and
Rachel (Thomas) ]\Iilson. natives of England



502



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



and Wales respectively- The former was born
in Bristol about the year 1791, and at an early
age removed to Wales, where he engaged in the
butchering business. He married and spent the
greater part of his life in that country. About
1869, however, he came to the United States to
visit his son Daniel, with whom he remained for
seven years, returning to Wales in 1876. There
his death occurred in 1884. His wife was a na-
tive of Bryncock, Glamorganshire, Wales, and to
them were born fourteen children, of whom seven
are now living: Daniel. Prudence, Elizabeth,
Mary, Margaret. Ann, and Charles.

Daniel Milson, the father of Charles E. Mil-
son, is the only one of the children living in Amer-
ica. He was born at Neath, South Wales, Feb-
ruary 28, 18 — , and when a young man sailed for
the new world, taking passage in 1852 upon a
westward bound sailing vessel which after a voy-
age of three montns and three days dropped
anchor in the harbor of New York. Before leav-
ing his native country he had learned the boiler-
maker's trade as an apprentice to his uncle, Jo-
" seph Thomas, serving at the Neath Abbey ship-
yards in Wales. Making his way direct from
New York to Philadelphia, he secured employ-
ment at his trade in the shop of Merrick & Son,
and later worked in the ship department of the
United States navy yard at League Island for
about two years. In 1854 he came to Catasauqua,
where he was first employed by the Crane Iron
Company, and subsequently secured work at the
plant of the Thomas Iron Company, aiding in
the construction of their works. In 1863 he
answered the emergency call for troops to repel
the invasion of the Confederate forces into Penn-
sylvania, and served for two months. Not long
after his military experience he went to Ohio
with David Thomas, and after assisting in the
building of a furnace there he returned to Cata-
sauqua. In 1865 he established a boiler shop, and
in addition to job work took contracts and built
furnaces. He soon developed a large business,
whicli lie conducted with success for many years,
but is now living retired.

Daniel Alilson was married January 28, 1861,



to Miss Elizabeth Davies, of Baltimore, Mary-
land, who was born in Neath, Glamorganshire,
Wales, April 22, 1837. They became the parents
of eleven children: i. Thomas H., born Janu-
ary 8, 1862, married Angeline Lacey Johnston,
the wedding ceremony being performed at Beth-
lehem, Pennsylvania, April 18, 1888, by the Rev.
Walter Colley. Their children are : Joseph, born-
May 17, 1893; and Thomas H., born April 18,
1896. 2. Charles Edward, mentioned hereinafter.
3. Annie, born September 25, 1865, was married
March 12, 1901, to John W. Thomas. 4. Eliza-
beth, born February 5, 1868. 5. Daniel K., born
December 25, 1869, died May 11, 1877. 6. i\Iin-
nie, born November 5, 1871, was married March
12, 1901, to William R. Thomas, Jr., and they
have one son, Daniel M., born April 25, 1903.
7. Joseph, born June 31, 1873. 8. Daniel, born
July 22, 1875. 9. Henry D., born February 7,
1878, died August 23, 1892. 10. Mabel, born
November 11, 1879. 11. Eleanor, born Novem-
ber II, 1881, was married February 5, 1902, to
John Morton Fitzgerald, and they have one child,
Hubert M., born August 16, 1903.

Charles Edward Milson was born at Catasau-
qua. Northampton county, Pennsylvania, Au-
gust 10, 1863. He acquired his early edu-
cation in the public schools there, and afterward
entered Lehigh University, where he completed
his literary course. He then entered upon prep-
aration for the medical profession as a student
in the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadel-
phia, Pennsylvania, from which institution he
was graduated with the degree of Doctor of
Medicine. He then engaged in practice in Cata-
sauqua, but after his marriage he gave up his pro-
fessional work in order to devote his time to the
management of his varied investments and to the
control of his wife's estate. He was for a time
engaged in the operation of extensive lime stone
quarries in the vicinity of Catasauqua.

Charles Edward Milson was married to Ca-
milla Eleanor Deily, a daughter of Francis J.
and Sarah Ann (Dech) Deily, and they had four
children, but the youngest, Marie, born Septem-
ber 6, 1896, died May 15, 1903. The three liv-



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



503



ing are: Gertrude, born September 24, li
Helen, born July 22, 1892 ; and Ruth, born March
2, 1894.

Francis J. Deily, father of j\Irs. Milson, was
born at Allentown, Pennsylvania, July 31, 1824,
a son of Jacob Deily, who was also a native of
Allentown, and an old resident of that city. He
was a farmer by occupation, achieving large
financial success from his extensive operations.
He was a soldier in the war of 1812. He was the
father of nine children, only one of whom is liv-
ing at the present time (1904) ]\'Irs. Robert Yea-
ger, of Allentown. Francis J. Deily (father)
resided for a number of years in Catasauqua,
where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He
was a large land owner, having invested the pro-
ceeds of his labor in extensive real estate pur-
chases throughout the county. He resided on
what was known as the Deily farm, near Cata-
sauqua, and the latter years of his life were spent
in retirement. He was a member of the Reform
church, and a Democrat in politics. His death
occurred at his home in Catasauqua, October 9,
1897. His wife is living with her daughter, Mrs.
Milson, who was the only child born of the union

of Francis J. and Deily.

■ I

WILLIAM EVANS ROBERTS. Among
the representative citizens and successful business
men of Freemansburg is William E. Roberts, pro-
prietor of the most extensive general department
establishment between Bethlehem and Easton.
He has been a prominent factor in commercial
circles for many years, and as a result of his en-
terprising business management and strict integ-
rity in all transactions he has accumulated a
goodly competency, and has gained an enviable
reputation among his business associates. He
was born in Blairstown, Indiana county, Penn-
sylvania, December 6, 1855, a son of John and
Sarah Ann (Hendricks) Roberts.

John Roberts (father) is a resident of Beth-
lehem, Pennsylvania, where for the past few years
he has led a retired life, enjoying the ease and rest
which is a fitting sequel to years of activity and
toil. For many years he was employed by the
Pennsylvania Railroad in the capacity of con-



tractor, worked on the portion of the road near
Altoona, and assisted in the construction of many
of its perilous places : later was an employee of
the Lehigh Valley Railroad, and subsequently
entered the service ot the Northern Pennsylvania
Railroad. Upon the completion of this road he



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 89 of 92)