John W. (John Woolf) Jordan.

Historic homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) online

. (page 91 of 92)
Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 91 of 92)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Order of Elks; Erie Lodge, No. no, of Allen-
town : Fraternal Order of Eagles ; and for a
number of years was an enthusiastic member of
the Easton Base Ball League. He enjoys an ex-
tended acquaintance throughout this section, and
his popularity among all classes is unquestioned.

In 1892 ^Ir. [Morrow was married to ;\Iiss
Ella Heffelfinger, who was born January 5,
1873, a daughter of John Hefifelfinger, of North-
ampton county, Pennsylvania. Their children
are: ]\Iary Martha, born April 28, 1893; and
Frances V., born April 13, 1895.

HON. JEREMI.\H S. HESS, a prominent
and successful business man, senior partner in
the firm of Jeremiah S. Hess & Brother, also
one of the leading representatives of the Demo-
cratic party in eastern Pennsylvania, was born in
Hcllertown. December 3. 1843. a son of the Rev.
Samuel and Lucetta (Klein) Hess; grandson of
George Hess, who was the father of six sons and



two daughters, and who followed milling in Iron
Hill, Northampton county, for many years ; and
great-grandson of Nicholas Hess, who was a
native of Zweibrucken, Germany, and who set-
tled in Springfield, Bucks county, in 1723, and
there devoted himself to agriculture. Samuel
Hess (father) had for his instructor the cele-
brated Rev. J. C. Becker, D. D., and he was or-
dained as a minister of the German Reformed
church at York about 1828. He was born De-
cember 25, 1S04, and died November 24, 1875.
His wife, whose maiden name was Lucetta
Kleim, bore him two children, Jeremiah S. and
IMilton J., and her death occurred December 15,
1893.

Jeremiah S. Hess received his preparatory
education at Niskey Hill Academy of Bethlehem,
and Allentown Seminary. In 1859 he entered
Franklin and Marshall College in the sophomore
year, there pursued a classical course, was gradu-
ated in 1862, and three years later received the
master's degree. From 1862 to 1864 he was the
principal teacher in Allentown Seminary, and in
the latter vear became a sttident in the theological
seminarv at Alercersburg, Pennsylvania, where
he continued for a year. The following two years
he pursued advanced studies at the universities of
Berlin, Bonn and Tubingen. In 1867 he returned
to the United States, but shortly afterward, on
account of impaired health, it became evident that
he would have to relinquish the career he had
planned for himself and devote his attention to
more active pursuits, which was a grievous dis-
appointment and trial to him. Accordingly, in
the same }ear, he engaged in the lumber busi-
ness, and subsequently formed the firm of Jere-
miah S. Hess & Brother, dealers in coal and
lumber, also operators of a planing-mill, which
gave employment to twenty hands. He fre-
quently had overtures to take the chair of ancient
languages and others in Heidelberg College of
Tiffin, Ohio, and Franklin and ^Marshall College
of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Since the [SlcClellan campaign of 1864, Mr.
Hess has been noted as a public speaker and rep-
resentative man in political aiTairs. In 1882 he
was elected to the office of state senator, served



5IO



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



four years, making an excellent record for him-
self and constituents, and during this time was
largely interested in the forestry movement which
has since culminated in a very practical manner,
and he was a member of the educational and
special judiciary committees. The interests of his
partv (Democratic), friends and neighbors were
served so faithfully during his term of office that
thev expressed their desire to return him to the
legislative body. He was a candidate for con-
gress from the eighth district, which comprises
Carbon, Monroe, Northampton and Pike coun-
ties, but was defeated at the primaries. He dis-
played marked intelligence on general and civic
issues, and every movement which had for its
object the betterment of this section of the state
received from him a most earnest support. In
1890 he joined the Pennsylvania German So-
cietv, organized that year for the purpose of
bringing to the attention of the public the early
history of the Pennsylvania Germans. He is a
member of Hellertown Lodge, No. 563, Free and
Accepted Masons; Zinzendorf Chapter, No. 316,
Royal Arch Masons, of Bethlehem; and Hugh
De Payen Commandery, Knights Templar, of
Easton. He is past master of Hellertown Lodge,
and past high priest of the chapter.

Mr. Hess married, June 17, 1875, Miss Tillie
Heminger, daughter of Moses Heminger, of Hel-
lertown. Their children are : Herbert, Clara.
Mary and Samuel. The family are members of
the Reformed church of Hellertown, and for
more than a quarter of a century Mr. Hess acted
as superintendent of the Sunday-school.

AMOS J. HARRIS, M. D., a leading mem-
ber of the medical profession in the city of Heller-
town, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, pur-
sued his studies in New York University (Medi-
cal Department of LTniversity Medical College),
New York City, graduating therefrom with the
degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1861.

GERHARD C. ASCHBACH, Allentown,
Pa. In The Highlander of May 17, 1842, pub-
lished in Freiburg, Germany, appeared a bio-
graphical sketch of Gerhard Adolph Aschbach,



the grandfather of the subject of this article, from
the pen 01 his intimate friend, Hermann von Rot-
teck. From this we learn that Gerhard Adolph
Aschbach was born i.t Hoeciist on the Main, June
27, 1793. His father was the proprietor of a ver-
micelli factory, and a highly respected citizen of
such culture and ability that he was the sole tutor
of his son until the latter was fourteen years of
age. Gerhard, ever cheerful and eager to learn,
made rapid progress in his studies, and soon be-
came the teacher of his younger brothers and sis-
ters, especially of Joseph, who later became the
well-known historian. When sixteen years old
he was sent to the gymnasium at Idstein, where he
so distinguished himself that he was allowed to
skip two classes in the course.

Meanwhile the fortune of his father had
changed. War had destroyed his possessions, and
his son Gerhard had to leave school to help in
the management of The Three Kings, which the
elder Aschbach had leased in Heidelberg. Later
he resumed his studies, although he, like his
brother Joseph, was obliged to support himself
by teaching in an institution for young ladies.
During vacation he was accustomed to maivC
pedestrian trips to all parts of Germany, in one of
which he had an encounter with a notorious rob-
ber of those days in the well known Odenwald.
He was of a quiet and peaceable disposition
but, Vvflien his honor was assailed or the name of
a friend was attacked, he was bold and fearless.
His skill in arms and his noble character rendered
him particularly popular among the comrades of
his student-corps.

When, in 1813, the Germans were summoned
to arms to save the Fatherland, he abandoned his
studies, was enrolled second lieutenant of the
Seventh Battalion of the National Guard, and
took part in the campaign of 1814, after which he
returned to his books. When, in 181 5, the war
broke out afresh, he accompanied his regiment
to Alsace, and was present at the battle of Stras-
burg. After the peace of Paris, he continued his
legal studies, and in 1816 passed the state exami-
nations with distinction.

He began his official life in Emmendingen,
where he married the daughter of Dr. Gaup, in



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



511



1820. After a stay of two years in this place he
was called to Carlsruhe, and in 1825 he was ap-
pointed Judge and Aulic Coimcillor in Rastatt, be-
ing high in favor with the Grand Duke Ludwig.
This position he held till 1833, when he was trans-
ferred to the imperial court at jNleersburg. He was
a member of the famous Chamber of Deputies, in
which he labored in behalf of the constitutional
rights of the people by the side of leaders like
Rotteck, Welcker, Duttlinger, Mittermaier, Hof-
mann and Gerbel. After a two years' stay he was
transferred to Constanz, and thence to Freiburg.
He died suddenly on the 20th of April, 1842,
from a stroke of apoplexy. His imposing funeral
attested the high esteem in which he was held by
his official colleagues and his fellow-citizens.

A younger brother of Gerhard Adolph Asch-
bach, born at Hoechst, April 29, 1801, educated
at Heidelberg, made a Doctor of Philosophy by
the University of Marburg at the age of twenty-
two, became the famous historian later known to
the world as Joseph von Aschbach. A man of
great versatility, and the author of many learned
works, he was called to thi University of Vienna
as professor of history in 1853, became a member
of the Academy of Sciences, was appointed
Aulic Councillor, received the Order of the Iron
Cross, and was raised by the Emperor to the
Austrian nobility. In 1881 his students and col-
leagues celebrated hij eightieth birthday by pre-
senting an address and a silver laurel-wreath on
whose leaves were engraved the titles of his
works. He died April 25, 1882. His son, Dr.
Emil von Aschbach, is a prominent member of the
legal profession in Vienna.

Gustavus xA.dolphus Aschbach, the son of Ger-
hard Adolph Aschbach, was born at Rastatt, in
the Grand Duchy of Baden, March 3, 1826. His
father instilled in his mind the liberal ideas and
hopes of a united fatherland, and placed him in
the gymnasium at Freiburg. The son early chose
the law for his life-work, and upon the death of
his father entered the University of Heidelberg.
While he was at the University the revolution
of '48 broke out, and Aschbach, with many of his
fellow-students, threw himself heartily into the
movement. The revolution failed and he, with



many others, was obliged to leave the country in
order to save his life. He went to Rapperschwyl,
Switzerland, where he applied himself to civil
engineering in which he became highly proficient.

In 1850 he came to this country and, after
residing for a time in New York City, came to Al-
lentown, Pennsylvania, in 1854, where his ability
as architect and civil engineer soon made him
prominent. He was repeatedly elected city en-
gineer of Allentown, made excellent maps of the
city and the county from his own surveys and
was largely engaged in the construction of the
Allentown & Hamburg Railroad, being associated
with George B. Roberts, who later became presi-
dent of the Pennsylvania Railroad. A great part
of the perfect arrangement of the streets of Al-
lentown is due to his skill. Among the many
buildings that still attest his taste and ability as an
architect are the Lehigh county prison, which has
received great praise as a model specimen of
prison architecture; St. John's English Reformed
Church ; the Fifth Ward school house ; and the
residence of ^Nlr. Thomas J. Koch. During the
Civil war he was engaged in constructing fortifi-
cations for the Union army in Ohio and Kentucky
under Generals Simpson and Burnside, and ren-
dered valuable services to his country. As a
result of exposure in the performance of his duties
in the army, he was an invalid for many years,
and at last died of a complication of diseases on
April 17, 1875.

During his lifetime he was a member of the
German Patriotic Association, the Trexlertown
Lodge of Free Masons, Allen Lodge of Odd Fel-
lows, the German Association of Lehigh county,
the Lehigh Saengerbund, the Academy of Nat-
ural Sciences, the Allentown Board of Trade and
the Palette Club of New York.

Mr. Aschbach met his future wife on the
voyage from Havre to New York, which was
made in the three-master "Robert Kelly,"' Captain
Kennedy, and lasted forty-two days. On April
II, 1854, he married Emilie Friederika Mayer, a
daughter of Friederich Carl Mayer and his wife
Christina, who was a daughter of Conrad Moritz,
a retired landed proprietor, and his wife Magda-
lena Steigelmann. Mrs. Aschbach was born in



51^



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



Bergzabern, in the Rhenish Palatinate, February
14, 1832. Her father was register of landed es-
tates, and a son of Rev. John Adam Mayer, a
Councillor of the Consistory in Speyer-on-the
Rhine, who had married into a prominent patri-
cian family of Frankfort-on-the-Main. Here her
youngest brother, Julius Mayer, is still living,
while her oldest brother. Professor Frederick
Mayer, for many years superintendent of music in
the public schools of Dayton, Ohio, now lives in
honored retirement in that city.

From this marriage of Gustavus Adolphus
Aschbach with Emilie Friederika Mayer, were
born Gerhard Charles Aschbach and Emma Char-
lotte Elizabeth Aschbach, who, on August 17,
1899, was married to Professor George T. Et-
tinger. Ph. D., of Muhlenberg College, Allen-
town, Pennsylvania.

Gerhard Charles Aschbach, the son of Gus-
tavus Adolphus and Emilie Friederika Aschbach,
and now the head of the American branch of the
family, was born in Allentown, January 15, 1855.
He received his education in the public schools of
Allentown, the Allentown Military Academy,
and the Academic Department of Muhlenberg
College. After learning the trade of cabinet-
maker in the establishment of Heimbach & Hel-
frich, he entered the organ factory of John Florey,
whose business was later acquired by Ritter, Ab-
bott & Ruhe, trading as the Allentown Organ
Company. In 1876 he started in the music busi-
ness at 810 Hamilton street, Allentown, but
shortly afterwards moved into the basement of
the Second National Bank Building, 532 Ham-
ilton street, from which he in turn moved across
the street into what was then known as the Os-
mun & Scholl Building. Here he remained for
several years, imtil the Second National Bank
vacated its Hamilton street home, when he
moved back and occupied the entire build-
ing. Here he remained until 1891, when he
purchased the Jonathan Reichard property at 539
Hamilton street, and erected the handsome four-
storied building in which he now has his perma-
nent business home. In all these years the field
of his activity has been ever widening, until today
G. C. Aschbach's Music House is the largest es-



tablishment of its kind in eastern Pennsylvania,
requiring the constant services of twenty-two per-
sons, importing extensively from foreign coun-
tries and handling all the leading instruments and
publications.

For five years Mr. Aschbach was the manager
of the old Hagenbuch Opera House, now occu-
pied by the extensive grocery store of James K.
Bowen. At the same time he managed similar
establishments in Bethlehem and Mauch ChuuK.
To him Allentown owes its first modern theatre,
as it was through his efiforts that Music Hall,
later known as the Academy of Music, was
erected, on the northeast corner of Sixth and
Linden streets. During his management of the
above-named theatres he presented many of the
leading artists (literary, musical and dramatic)
then before the public, of whom may be mentioned
Emma Abbott, Minnie Hauk, the Boston Ideals,
Joseph Jefiferson, E. L. Davenport, Lawrence
Barrett, Joe Emmett, Henry Ward Beecher, Ade-
laide Neilson, Aime, Emma Thursby, Robson and
Crane, Fanny Davenport, Madame .Carreno,
JosefTy, Chevalier de Kontski, the original Swed-
ish Quartette, Camilla Urso, and John T. Ray-
mond.

In 1880 he married Miss Sallie R. Kramer,
daughter of Allen and Anna Diefenderfer Kra-
mer. This union was blessed with six children,
of whom three survive — Adolph Theodore, mar-
ried to Bessie Dreifoos, daughter of Henry and
Regina Dreifoos, of Allentown ; Emilie Mary,
now the wife of George H. Myers, Jr., of Bethle-
hem, Pennsylvania, and Gerhard Charles Asch-
bach, Jr. Both sons ably assist their father in
his extensive business.

Mr. Aschbach was confirmed in St. John's
English Lutheran church, Allentown, by Rev.
Reuben Hill, D. D., and for many years was a
member of the same, until the organization of
Christ Lutheran church, in the western part of
the city, when he transferred his membership to
the new congregation.

He is a member of the Royal Arcanum, tlie
Heptasophs, the Knights of Malta, and the Liv-
ingston Club ; and a contributing member of the
Lehigh Saengerbund and the Allentown Oratorio



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



513



Society. He is also the treasurer and a director C. J. Erdman, E. B. Byington, and Hiram S.
of the Keystone Mining and Development Com- Shimer.



pany, and a director in the William H. Ryan
Company, corporations largely interested in min-
ing in the states of Colorado and Wyoming.



THE LIVINGSTON CLUB, of Allentown
Pennsylvania, is one of the largest and most rep-
resentative social clubs in the Lehigh Valley
While there is nothing very startling in the his-
tory of such an organization, it
nevertheless may be interesting
to trace the different steps of
that development by which it
attained its present proud posi-
tion in the social world of the
far-famed Lehigh A'alley.

On January 20, 1890, a party
of prominent citizens of Allen-
town, brought together largely
by the efforts of Robert Iredell,
Jr., and Louis Soleliac, gathered
in Parlor A of the American
Hotel. The object of the meet-
ing was declared to be the for-
mation of a social club for the
enjoyment of its members as
well as for "improving by social
intercourse the physical and
mental efficiency of its members
as for the furtherance by
friendly intercourse of the com-
mercial prosperity of the lo-
cality wherein it is situated."
Of this meeting Dr. Edwin G.
INIartin was elected temporary
chairman and Morris L. Kauff-
man, Esq., temporary secre-



Committee on Selection of Club-House —
William H. Ryan, Dr. Thomas T. Martin, George
Ormrod, Alexander S. Shimer, and James Bott.

Committee on House Furnishing — Robert
Iredell, Jr., William H. Weinsheimer, J. Edward
Durham, John J. Fisher, and A. B. Bonneville.

The meeting adjourned to convene at the
same place on January 23, 1890. At this ad-




THE HOME OF THE LIVINOSTON CLUB.



tarv. In addition to other busi-
ness transacted at this time, the following journed meeting the committee on organization
committees were appointed: Committee on Or- reported the following names as nominees for
ganization— Hon. H. W. Allison, Hon. Robert offices to serve until the ne.xt regular election:
E. Wright, Frederick S. Guerber, Louis Soleliac, President, H. W. .\Hison : vice-president, Louis
and Joseph B. Lewis. Soleliac ; treasurer, William H. Ryan ; secretary,

Committee on Charter and By-Laws— :\lorris Robert Iredell, Jr.
L. Kauffman, Esq., Hon. Edward Harvey, Hon. These nominees were subsequently elected.



£3



5U



HISTORIC HOMES AND INSTITUTIONS.



The committee on club house reported that they
had inspected various places and unanimously de-
cided in favor of the house occupied by Mr. E.
B. Byington, on South Seventh street, and that
the same could be rented for $600, upon a two
years' lease, with option to purchase at $8,000.
The action of the committee was approved and
the house was rented with option to buy. On
January 28th, the architects and builders of the
club met and the new officers were installed. At
this meeting it was "unanimously resolved that
the name of this club shall be Livingston Club,
of Allentown, Pa., in honor of the Livingstons
connected with the early history of our city."
On April 7, 1890, the club was incorporated un-
der the decree of the court of common pleas of
Lehigh county.

On February 10, 1891, the committee on real
estate reported that they had conferred with
Mr. Edward Ruhe, the owner of the house, who
was willing to sell for $8,000, and on September
20, 1892, it was unanimously resolved to purchase
the house and lot known as No. 22 South Sev-
enth street.

On March 27, 1894, the Club decided to pur-
chase the adjoining property for $5,300, from
John S. Yeager, the owner. Various other items
swelled the sum to $5,500. The contract for
tearing down the old structure and erecting the
handsome new building was awarded to Martz
& Edwards for $3,200. This figure, however,
did not include plumbing, gas-fitting, steam-heat-
ing and electric wiring. Thus the club came into
possession of the commodious quarters which it
has enjoyed for the past decade.

During this time the amusements of the mem-
bers were confined to cards, billiards and pool.
On May 14, 1901, Edward A. Solcliac and Will-
iam E. Martin were appointed a committee to
solicit voluntary subscriptions from the members
of the club for the erection of a bowling alley,
and on June 29th the same committee was author-
ized to receive bids and have the bowling allev
constructed. Accordingly at a cost of over $3,000
a ijrunswick-Balke bowling alley was installed,
which has added very materially to the enjoy-



ment of the members and the popularity of the
club.

In the latter part of 1904 extensive improve-
ments were again made at an outlay of about
$4,500. These changes and additions have ren-
dered the club's home still more elegant and com-
modious, so that we are safe in saying that there
is no social organization outside of our largest
cities that can now excel the Livingston Club of
Allentown in the representative character of its
membership and the comfortable appointments of
its club-house. The property of the club, known as
20 and 22 South Seventh street, but a few steps
from Center Square, is admirably located for its
purpose and is worth at the lowest estimate
$25,000.

At the annual meeting, held March 11, 1902,
the limit to the number of resident members was-
extended from one hundred to one hundred and
twenty-five; and so greatly did the club grow in
popular favor that within a year it was again ex-
tended to one hundred and fifty. The annual
receptions and ''Ladies' Days," which are held
twice a month during the season, occupy a promi-
nent place among the social functions of the
community.

Some years ago the club became known
throughout the United States by its test case
before the courts of Lehigh county and later be-
fore the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, in
which case the right of legitimately organized
and incorporated social clubs to dispense liquors
to their members was legally established by the
several decisions of the courts of the state.

The following members have served as offi-
cers of the club since its organization :

Presidents, with their terms of office — Henry
W. Allison, 1890-1891 ; Morris L. KauiYman,
1892; Robert E. Wright. 1893; J. Edward Dur-
ham, 1 894- 1 895 ; William H. Ryan. 1896: Ed-
ward M. Young, 1897; William R. Klein, 1898;
John Taylor, 1899 ; Constantine J. Erdman,
1900; George Ornirod, 1901-1903; William D.
Miers, 1904.

Vice-Presidents, with their terms of office —
Louis Soleliac, 1890-1891 ; Edwin G. ]\Iartin,



GENEALOGICAL AND PERSONAL MEMOIRS.



51S



1892; J. Edward Durham, 1893; Amable B. Bon-
neville, 1894-1895; Edwin Keller, 1895; Edward
M. Young, 1896; James Bott, 1897; Edward H.
Reninger, 1898; Lewis L. Roney, 1899; George
Ormrod, 1900; C. M. W. Keck, 1901-1903;
David R. JMalcolm, 1904.

Secretaries, with their terms of office —
Robert Iredell, Jr., 1890-1891 ; Edward M.
Young, 1892; Uriah S. Litzenberg, 1893; Ed-
ward M. Young, 1894-1895 ; William D. Miers,
1896; George T. Ettinger, 1897.

Treasurers, with their terms of office — Will-
iam H. Ryan, 1890-1895 ; William R. Klein,
1896-1897; Charles S. Martin, 1898; William D.
!Miers, 1899-1903; William H. Anewalt, 1904.

In closing this brief sketch of the Livingston
Club we can not refrain from quoting a writer
who has often enjoyed its hospitality: "The
Livingston Club, both in membership and ap-
pointment, is the most noted club in the Lehigh
\'alley. Distinguished visitors, who know what
club life is, are amazed when introduced into the
precincts of the Livingston. Luxury, combined
with the most perfect taste, marks its furnishings
and decorations. There is nothing lacking that
can in any way enhance the comfort and well-
being of its members. Its membership com-
prises the best element of our society. On its
roster are found the names of men most promi-
nent in our business, professional and social life.
It has exerted a marked influence on the progress
and prosperity of the city of Allentown."

HARRY McCLELLAN GANGEWERE is
numbered among the enterprising, progressive
and substantial business men of Allentown, Le-
high county, his place of business being located
at 534 Walnut street, where he has conducted a
successful and constantly increasing trade for the
past eighteen years. He is a native of the city
in which he now resides, born September 10,
1862, a son of Horace and Elizabeth (Hang-



Online LibraryJohn W. (John Woolf) JordanHistoric homes and institutions and genealogical and personal memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania (Volume v.1) → online text (page 91 of 92)