League. Mem. Royal Arcanum. Clubs: Hamll-
ton, City. Office: The Rookery. Residence: 816
Fargo Av., Rogers Park.
XING, Jesse Gustavua, supt the Bradstreet
Co.; b. Chautauqua Co., N. Y., June 13, 1841;
s. Aaron Noyes and Sarah Plerpont (Ayers)
King; ed. public schools Chautauqua Co., N.
Y., Aurora, 111., and Maple Park, 111.; served
In 52d Regt. 111. Vol. Infy., Aug., 1861, to Oct.,
1864; severely wounded at battle of Shlloh,
Apr. 6, 1862; m. Maple Park, 111., Nov., 1865,
Cornelia A. Van Vlack (died June, 1887); chil-
dren: Harry Vernon, Hollan Richard (de-
ceased), Howard Clayton, Clifford Morton,
Worked on father's farm In Kane Co.. 111.,
until enlistment in 1861; settled In Chicago,
Mar., 1865; engaged in insurance until 1877;
since then connected with the Bradstreet Co.,
mercantile agency, of which became asst. supt.
in 1880, and since 1888 supt. at Chicago. Re-
publican. Presbyterian. Mem. Geo. H. Thomas
Post, G. A. R. (past commander). Clubs: Ham-
llton, Woodlawn Park (was 2 years pres.).
Office: Chicago Stock Exchange. Residence:
6428 Minerva Av.
XING, John A., retired business man; b.
DeWitt Tp., Onondaga Co., N. Y., 1834; s. Wil-
Ham M. and Hannah (Hadley) King; brought
up on farm. Entered employment of grocery
flrm of Syracuse at 15; later served as mes-
senger to teller Mechanics' Bank of Syracuse;
In business in Toledo, O., 1859-61; bookkeeper
and later treas. S. M. Nickerson & Co., dls-
tillers, 1861-7; wholesale drug business, 1867-
1888; bought controlling Interest in McEvoy
Brewing Co., 1888, selling property to Eng-
lish syndicate, 1889; pres. Ft. Dearborn Nat.
Bank, Apr. 22, 1889, to 1903; now dlr. same;
elected trustee Chicago Sanitary District,
1889; resigned July, 1891. Democrat. Clubs:
Union League, Illinois, Iroquois. Residence:
267 Ashland Boul.
KING, John Blair Smith, physician; b. Phila-
delphia, Pa., Feb. 11, 1855; s. Edwin and Sarah
C. (Smith) King; ed. Penn Quaker School,
Philadelphia, followed by 4 years at Gregory's
Acad.; grad. Philadelphia College of Pharmacy,
1875; clerked in James L. Blspham's drug
house in Philadelphia 4 years, then attended
Hahnemann Med. College, Philadelphia, 1 year;
then in employ of David Bossier, druggist at
Germantown, Pa., for 3 years; came to Chi-
cago, 1879, and was manufacturing clerk for
the drug house of Thomas Whitfield & Co. 3
years; student at Hahnemann Med. College,
Chicago, graduating M.D., 1883; m. Chicago,
Mar. 22, 1883, Arabell Surbridge; children:
Jules Moyes, Vivien, Louis, Cedric, Hilary,
Raymond, Arthur, Laurence, Merle, Madeline.
Since 1883 actively engaged in general prac-
tlce of medicine in Chicago. Sec. International
Hahnemannian Assn.; mem. Illinois Homce.
Soc., Englewood Homce. Soc. Office: Masonic
Temple. Residence: Glenview.
KING, John C., broker; b. Ithaca, N. Y., Nov.
23, 1864. Came to Chicago, 1890, and has since
been a stock and bond broker in this city,
now being senior mem. of the firm of King,
Hodenpyl & Co. Mem. New York Stock Ex-
change, Cleveland (O.) Stock Exchange, Cht-
cago Stock Exchange, and mem. of the govern-
ing committee of latter; also mem. Chicago
Board of Trade. Clubs: Chicago, Union, Wash-
mgton Park, Iroquois, Bankers, Chicago Golf,
Onwentsia, Saddle and Cycle, Mid-Day. Office:
The Rookery. Residence: 143 Lincoln Park
KING, John C, lawyer- grad St Mary's
College, Cincinnati, O., 18?i; taught school at
Cincinnati 1 year, and attended lectures at
Union College of Law. Admitted to bar at
Cincinnati, O.. 1873; mem. firm of Morrow &
King, 1873-8; came to Chicago, 1878; was ad-
mitted to Illinois bar, and was principally en-
gaged in criminal law practice until 1895;
now head of firm of King & Gross. Office: 87
Washington St. Residence: 497 W. Congress St.
KING, Oscar A., physician; b. on farm near
Peru, Ind., Feb. 22, 1851; s. Timothy Lewis and
Mary M. (Wright) King; grad. head of class
(valedictorian), Peru High School; taught
school until 1873, then began medical studies
under Prof. Henry Palmer, surgeon general of
Wisconsin, at Janesville; afterward private
student Prof. Louis A. Sayre, of New York;
grad. Bellevue Hosp. Med. College, Univ. of
New York, M.D., 1878; m. 1887, Minerva,
daughter of Hon. Orrin Guernsey, of Janes-
ville, Wis., and graduate of Boston Univ. After
graduation associated short time in practice
with Dr. Henry Palmer, until appointed 2d
asst. physician in Wisconsin State Hosp. for
tn Insane, at Madison. On leave of absence,
1880 and 1881, attending lectures in Univ. of
Vienna and clinics in Allgemeien Kranken-
housen; special studies in neurology and
psychiatry under Meynert, Leidersdorf, Weiss
and Benedict. First assistant physician, Wis-
consin State Hospital, Madison, in 1881-2,
resigning that position and declining appoint-
ment as supt. Northern Hosp. for the Insane,
Wis., to become, 1882, prof, of mental and
nervous diseases in College of Physicians and
Surgeons, Chicago, title later changed to pres-
ent one; prof, neurology, psychiatry and clin-
ical medicine; in 1894 became sec. of the col-
lege, since 1900 vice-dean College of Physi-
cians and Surgeons. As chairman committee on
univ. relations, 1899, and later years, did great
service in securing adoption of by-law favor-
able to development of the college, in securing
its permanent incorporation into the Univ. of
Illinois, in purchase of new grounds and
buildings and founding College of Dentistry of
Univ. of Illinois as a department of the Col-
lege of Medicine. In 1895 was appointed by
Wisconsin State Board of Control pathologist
and consulting alienist to state charitable and
penal institutions. Founded, 1883, and com-
pleted, 1885, at cost of $106,000, the Oakwood
Retreat, Lake Geneva, Wis., a private sani-
tarium for care of the insane, of which be-
came president and chief of medical staff;
founded, in 1896, Lake Genova Sanitarium,
and in 1901 the two sanitaria were united
into one. of which remains director. Tn 1896
applied the toxine of erysipelas effectively in
the treatment of 23 nearly consecutive cases
of mania and melancholia. In practice since
1882 as specialist in nervous and mental dis-
eases in Chicago. Prof, neurology, Post-Grnd-
uate Med. School.; chief dept. of neurology
West Side Free Dispensary; associate mem.
med. staff Cook Co. Hosp. Mem. Chicago Mod.
Soc., Wisconsin State Med. Soc., Chicago Neu-
rological Soc., Am. Med. Assn., IHinois Club
of Chicago. Office: S. W. cor. State and Madi-
son Sts. Residence: 330 Ashland Boul.
XING, Ralph Warren, grain merchant; b.
Three Rivers, Mich., Oct. 6, 1871; s. Jasper and
Helen Louise (Greene) King; moved to Ber-
rien Co., Mich.; attended public and high
school there and later West Division High
School, Chicago; m. Chicago, June 30, 1897,
Nelora Sarah Borden; children: Jasper Sey-
mour, Nelora Helen, Ralph Warren, Jr., Wini-
fred. After leaving school was salesman in
334 THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
wholesale house of Marshall Field & Co. until as gen. supt. Chicago Relief and Aid Soc. Re-
going Into grain business In 1892. Mem. Chi- publican. Chairman executive committee of
cago Board of Trade since 1898. Republican. Illinois State Conference of Charities, 1904-5.
Mem. Washington Park Congregational Mem. Am. Acad. of Political and Social
Church. Mason (32); K. T.; Shriner. Office: Science, Nat. Conference of Charities and Cor-
Root and LaSalle Sts. Residence: 5113 Michl- rections. Congregationallst. Club: City. Office:
gan Av. 51-53 LaSalle St. Residence: Evanston, 111.
KINO, Bockwell, pres. Western Cold Stor- KINNEY, Henry Clay, clergyman; b. New
age Co.; b. Chicago, Feb. 7, 1853; s. Charles Tork City, Nov. 14, 1837; s. George and Eliza
Boham and Jane (Rockwell) King; ed. Chicago (Cahoone) Kinney; grad. Columbia College,
public schools; Phillips Acad., Andover, Mass.; A.B., 1858, and Virginia Theological Seminary,
Harvard Univ.; m. Chicago, Jan. 6, 1881, Lucy 1861; m. New York, Apr. 23, 1865, Mrs. Annie
Wolcott Andrews; children: Ethel, Marjorle, (Wilson) Hunter, who died in 1874. Ordered
McGregor Adams, John Andrews. After leav- deacon, 1861, and ordained priest, 1862, by
ing school worked for 1 year for Adams & Bishop Horatio Potter, of New York; served
Westlake Co.; then established firm of King & pastorates in Tiffin, O., Randolph, Vt., and
Andrews, foundrymen, now the King & An- New York City; came to Chicago and served
drews Co., of which he is pres. In 1898 be- various churches until about 20 years ago,
came pres. of the Western Cold Storage Co. since which time has been In charge of a
(the largest cold storage plant in the world), mission at the Union Stock Yards. Mem. Chi-
Is treas. of the Harrington-King Perforating cago Historical Soc. Residence: 809 W. 47th
Co., and dir. of the Adams & Westlake Co. Re- St.
tains active conj.ro! over all his enterprises. KINNEY, William Crane, real estate agent
As a boy, served fn 1st Regt., I. N. G. Repub- and dealer; b. Cambridge, Lenawee Co., Mich.,
lican. Clubs: Chicago, University, Harvard, Feb. 3, 1838; s. Sylvanus and Hannah (Crane)
Saddle and Cycle, Merchants. Office: 39 N. Kinney; ed. common and high school of
State St. Residence: 63 Hawthorne PI. Adrian, Mich.; m. May, 1869, Mary C. Troy; 1
KING, Samuel Balch, lawyer; b. Ottawa, son: Troy Sylvanus. Lived in Chicago since
111., May 27, 1865; s. Claude B. and Anna 1872; engaged in the real estate business.
(Wyman) King; removed with parents to Chi- Trustee village of Hyde Park, 1888, until an-
cago, 1871; ed. public schools of Hyde Park nexation of the village to Chicago, then
until 1878. At age of 13 went to work for a elected alderman, serving until 1892. Repub-
mercantile house and continued until 1885; lican. Liberal in religion. Mem. Military Order
began study of law, Sept., 1885, in offices of Loyal Legion, Veteran League, Apollo Com-
Doolittle & McKey, at same time entering Un- mandery, K. T. Office: 189 LaSalle St. Resi-
ion College of Law, from which grad., LL.B., dence: 3831 Elmwood Av.
1887; admitted to bar, 1887. Republican. Mem. KINSELLA, John Julius, glass; b. Lock-
Illinois Soc. Sons of the Revolution. Office: port, 111., Jan. 12, 1859; s. John and Mary
1st Nat. Bank Bldg. Residence: 5417 Wash- (Ryan) Kinsella; grad, Lockport (public)
ington Av. School, Chicago, and afterward attended St.
KINO, Simeon Woodrow, lawyer and U. S. Ignatius College. First business experience
commissioner; b. King's Section, Penn Tp., was on a ranch at Lockport, 111. Went west,
Morgan Co., O., Aug. 18, 1843; s. Hiram 1881, and remained about 2 years. In 1885
Rogers and Deborah (Woodrow) King; ed. T. bought out a glass business which had been
Clarkson Taylor's Acad., Wilmington, Del., and established in 1874, and continued it on his
at Union College of Law, Chicago; m. Chicago, own account, and in 1894 incorporated the
May 28, 1902, Estella Winter Gair. Came to business as John J. Kinsella Co. (of which he
Chicago, 1854; worked in grocery store, planing is sec.). Democrat. R. C. Mem. Knights of
mill and for contractor; taught night school; Columbus. Clubs: Sheridan (pres.), Ellerslie
studied law. Served on Gov. Richard Yates' Golf, Washington Park. Office: 22d and John-
stafE at battle of Shiloh, 1862; admitted to son Sts. Residence: 3539 Michigan Av.
Illinois bar, Apr 3, 1863; appointed US. com- KIPEBf Charles, saddlery manufacturer; b.
missioner northern district of Illinois by Hon. Douglas Co., Kan., Nov. 15, 1858; s. Louis and
Thomas Drummond, Oct. 7, 1864, under admin- Henrietta (TTir^phhpre-) Vcinpr : P<I rmhiiv
istration of Abraham Lincoln, and reappointed School of Atchison Co Kan ' m Leaven
by subsequent U. S. judges, serving continu- ^<? r t h' Kan Apr 15 188 E i Gertrude T WiIe T
ously to present time, present appointment be- r v.iifi r pn- Tfi' '
ing dateS Mar 30, 1904 Besides practicing SSltted to
^Sfr^i^ftS.*? Sons - manufacturers of saddlery, Atchison,
only commissioner of deeds in Chicago for all Ka n.; business was removed to Chicago, 1891.
Of ,* the *v, stat ? and territories, besides Canada Pr es. of Nat. Saddlery Manufacturers' Assn.
and other European governments; is also a Jewish religion. Office: Congress and Peoria
notary public and passport agent. Was mem. sts Residence: 685 48th PI.
of the old board of supervisors of Cook Co. klFEB, Herman, saddlerv manufacturer; b.
for 7 years and introduced and procured pas- Cleveland, O., Feb. 14, 1854; s. Louis and
sage of resolution that established the Cook Henrietta (Hirschberg) Kiper; ed. common
P \, 1 5 f mal School; hence the father of that schools of Kansas, of which State was a resi-
institution. Was county &tty. of Cook Co 3 den t, 1859-91; m. Quincy, 111.. Mar. 16, 1880,
terms; has been pres. South Town Board; also Rosa Hermann; 1 daughter: Henrietta. As a
South Town clerk and county commissioner. boy became associated with the business con-
Republican; speaker in city, state and nat. ducted by his father at Atchison, Kan., as a
campaigns. Methodist. Clubs: Cook Co. Repub- dea ier in hides, wool, leather, and saddlery;
lican Marching, Lincoln. Office: Monadnock came to Chicago in 1891, and has since,
B1 ^.vSSi S J2 e: i 19 Wa ei } Av - as partner in L. Kiper & Sons, been engaged
XINGSMY, Sherman Colver, gen supt. Chi- i n the harness and saddlery industry. Repub-
S ag i?l* Ief and -. A , id , Soc -> ^y averl 5 r A rr I .?vj Ma ? "can. Jewish religion. Club: Illinois Athletic.
27, 1866; a. Calvin and Mary (Williams) office: 225 S. Peoria St. Residence: 4454 Vin-
Kingsley; grad. high school, Waverly, la,; cennes Av
Knox College, B.S., 1892; post-graduate work K1PEB, Julius, saddlery manufacturer; b.
in Harvard Univ., 1893-4; m. Detroit, Mich., Philadelphia, Pa., June 12, 1852; s. Louis and
Aug., 1895, Bessie L. Cook; 1 daughter: Eliza- Henrietta (Hirschberg) Kiper; moved to Kan-
? th v Asst <; sec., Brooklyn, N. Y., Bureau of sas in 1858; ed. public schools; m. Chicago,
Charities, Sept., 1894, to Feb., 1895; agent Bos- July 19, 1881, Tenie Metz; children: Harold J.,
THE BOOK OF CHICAGO AN S
came to Chicago as partner in the firm of L.
Kiper & Sons. Republican. Mem. William B.
Warren Lodge, No. 209, A. P. and A. M.; K.
P., Lodge No. 7 (Golden Cross), Atchison,
Kan. Jewish religion. Office: 225 S. Peoria St.
Residence: 561 B. 45th St.
KIFFAX, John B., physician, author; b.
Brantford, Out, Nov. 5, 1849; s. Robert and
Mary (Hargreaves) Kippax; M.D., Hahnemann
Med. College, 1869; LL.B., Northwestern Univ.,
1872; mem. College of Physicians and Sur-
geons, Ontario, 1880; m. Oct. 18, 1877, Martha
E. Wood. In practice in Chicago since 1869;
prof. Hahnemann Med. College, 1872-6; ex-
pres. and late prof, practice of medicine, clin-
ical medicine and legal medicine, Chicago
Homce. Med. College; one of the founders
same (1876) and prof, there for 25 years;
emeritus prof, of theory and practice of medi-
cine and of clinical medicine, Hahnemann
Med. College, Chicago, 1905; late clinical lec-
turer and visiting physician, Cook Co. Charity
Hosp. Pres. Homce. Med. Soc., Chicago, 1900-1;
mem. (chairman intercollegiate committee,
1900) Am. Institute of Homoeopathy, 111.
Homce. Med. Assn. and other Am. and foreign
med. socs. Republican. Associate editor Uni-
versal Homce. Annual, Paris, France, 1894;
associate editor Annual Record of Homce.
Literature, Philadelphia, 1873-4; contributor
to med. periodicals. Author: Churchyard
Literature, 1877; Hand-Book of Skin Diseases,
6th edit., 1896; Lectures on Fevers, 1884; also
numerous monographs, addresses, etc. Ad-
dress: 3154 Indiana Av.
KIBBY, Thomas Bernard, pres. Kirby Lum-
ber & Equipment Co.; b. Troy, N. Y., Feb.,
1853; s. of Peter and Charlotte (Bernard)
Kirby; ed. public schools of Troy, N. Y.; m.
Adrian, Mich., June 2, 1875, Annie Anderson;
children: Mrs. Bessie H. Bowles, Daisy Emma,
Charlotte Maretta. Entered the service of the
L. S. & M. S. Ry. in 1869, at Grand Rapids,
Mich.; was employed in the shops at Adrian,
Mich., 1873-80. and became division master car
builder for the company, with headquarters at
Chicago, 1880-90; from 1890 to 1900 was supt.
of the Armour Car Lines In Chicago; since 1
1900 pres. Kirby Lumber & Equipment Co.;
also vice-pres. I. B. Seely Truss Co. Repub-
lican. Mason; Mystic Star Lodge, Englewood
Commandery, and Medinah Temple, Shrine.
Office: Railway Exchange. Residence: 230
Commonwealth Av., Elgin, 111.
KIRCHBEHGER, William Arnold, merchant:
b. New York City, Mar. 10, 1877; s. Siegfried
H. and Alice (Friedman) Kirchberger; ed.
Harvard School, Chicago, followed by a course
at the Univ. of Mich, to 1896; m. Chicago,
June 17, 1901, Blanche Kimmelstiel; 1 daugh-
ter: Alice. In 1898 entered the house of M.
Born & Co., tailors to the trade, and is now
sec. and treas. of that company. Club: Stand-
ard. Office: 337 Franklin St. Residence: 4905
KIBCHHEIMEB, Joseph, paper; b. Heil-
bronn, Ger., Jan. 2, 1873; s. Hermann and Ellse
Kirchheimer; ed. *"vmnasium of Heilbronn,
Ger.; came to U. S., 1887, settling in Ft.
Wayne, Ind. Began business as dealer in pa-
per, paper bags, etc., at Ft. Wayne, Ind.,
removing to Chicago in 1898, and with his
brother Sigmund, established here firm of
Kirchheimer Bros., paper and twine, caper
bags, etc. Club: Standard. Office: 121 Klnzie
St. Residence: 4339 Forrestville Av.
KIRK, Alfred, district supt. of schools; b.
Harrison Co., O., Feb. 16, 1832; s. Samuel and
Mary (Hukill) Kirk; attended common school
until 16 years of age, then entered Richmond
College, Richmond, O., remaining until 1852;
m. Mt. Vernon, N. H., July 10, 1866, Lucy A.
Bruce; children: Allan Bruce, Harold Bruce.
Continuously engaged in teaching school from
1852, and since 1868 a teacher In the public
schools of the City of Chicago; now district
supt. of schools. Republican. Congregational-
ist. Mason. Office: Tribune Bldg. Residence:
4229 Oakenwald Av.
KIBK, James Alexander, pres. James S.
Kirk & Co.; b. Utica, N. Y., Jan. 24, 1840; B.
James S. and Nancy Ann (Dunning) Kirk; ed.
public schools of State of New York; m. 1st,
Utica, N. Y., July 17, 1860, Margaret Corn-
stock; children (living): Gertrude, Roderick,
Willing D.; m. 2d, Utica, N. Y., Clara Corn-
stock, Mar. 17, 1885; children: Margaret, Alex-
ander. Began business life as a boy in the ser-
vice of James S. Kirk & Co., soap manufac-
turers at Utica, N. Y., coming to Chicago when
the business was removed to this city in 1860,
and filling the various positions until becoming
pres. of James S. Kirk & Co., upon the death
of his father. Republican. Was alderman for
2 years under the administration of Mayor
Monroe Heath, In 1877-9. Club: Union League.
Office: 360 N. Water St. Residence: 456 Elm St.
KIBE!, Uiltou W., 1st vice-pres. James S.
Kirk & Co., soap manufacturers; b. Utica, N.
Y., Feb. 18, 1346; s. James S. and Nancy A.
Kirk; ed. public and high schools of Chicago;
m. 1st, Alice Florence Thompson; m. 2d, Ethel
Lucy Klrkman; children: Walter T., Emma D.,
Milton A.; m. 3d, Sept. 1, 1902, Buffalo, N. Y.,
Josephine Mary Cunningham. After leaving
school became identified with the business of
James S. Kirk & Co., manufacturers of soaps,
and has ever since been actively identified
with the business, which was incorporated
after the death of his father, the founder;
now 1st vice-pres. and dir. of James S. Kirk
& Co. Republican. Methodist. Mason; K. T.
Served as pres. of the village board of Evans-
ton before Its Incorporation as a city; mem.
board of directors World's Columbian Expo-
sition, 3 years. Clubs: Chicago, Chicago Yacht,
Fellowship, Union. Office: 360 N. Water St.
Residence: Auditorium Annex.
KIBK, Walter Badcliffe, broker; b. Chicago,
Sept. 21, 1873; s. Milton W. and Alice (Thomp-
son) Kirk; grad. Pennsylvania Military Col-
lege, B.S., 1892; attended Harvard Law School,
1899-1900; m. Santa Barbara, Calif., Dec. 2,
1903, Maud Hambleton. Since graduation from
college identified with James S. Kirk & Co.,
and was vice-pres. of the company, 1900-1;
in 1901 organized and incorporated firm of
Kirk Bros., manufacturers of soaps and per-
fumes, which was subsequently sold to James
S. Kirk & Co. Now broker for James S. Kirk
& Co. In oils, fats and glycerine. Catholic.
Clubs: Saddle and Cycle, Onwentsia, Chicago
Golf, Illinois Athletic. Office: 35-37 Randolph
St. Residence: 149 Lincoln Park Boul.
KIRKEBY, Marias, manufacturer, mer-
chant; b. Norway, Jan. 23, 1860; s. H. P. and
Martha (Sorum) Kirkeby; ed. Norway; m. Ber-
gen, Norway, Aug. 30, 1895, Signe Hansen;
children: Margit Katherine, Arnold Sigurd, Ed-
win Oliver. Came to Chicago, 1883; in 1886
started produce firm of Kirkeby & Stoffhas;
bought out Interest of partner, 1890, and has
since conducted it as M. Kirkeby & Co. In 1896
bought half Interest, and is now sec., treas.
and dlr. of August Hausske & Co., manufac-
turers of parlor furniture frames. Helped or-
ganize, 1892, and is now dir. Milwaukee Av.
State Bank. Democrat. Evangelical Lutheran.
Office: 100 Weed St. Residence: 1396 N. Saw-
XZBKMAN, Marshall Jay, lawyer; b. Chica-
go, July 25, 1876; s. Marshall M. and Fannie
(Lincoln) Klrkman; early education in public
schools; grad. law dept. Northwestern Univ.,
LL.B., 1897. Engaged In practice of law since
1897. Vice-pres. and general counsel of the
World Ry. Publishing Co., and the Am. Ac-
counting Co. Republican. Episcopalian. Mem.
Chicago Bar Assn. Clubs: Onwentsia, Chicago
Press, Evanston Country. Office: 79 Dearborn
St. Residence: Evanston, 111.
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
KIRKMAN, Marshall Monroe, railway offi-
cial; b July 10, 1842, In Central Illinois; en-
tered railway service, 1856, with C. & N.-W.;
since then with telegraph and traffic depts.
and as train dispatcher, 1856-61; auditor of
freight accounts, 1861-5; asst. gen. accounting
officer, 1865-7; gen. accounting officer, 1867-81;
also local treas., 1870-81; comptroller, 1881-9;
pres. and treas. Florence Co. Ry. Co.; treas.
and dir. DePue, Ladd & Eastern Ry. Co., Ma-
coupin Co. Ry. Co., Princeton & Western Ry.
Co., Sioux City & Pacific R. R. Co., St. Paul,
Eastern Grand Trunk R. R. Co., Consolidation
Coal Co., Sioux City Bridge Co., Superior Coal
Co., Western Town Lot Co.; asst. treas. and
dir. Winona & St. Peter R. R. Co., 2d vice-pros.
C. & N.-W. Ry. since Nov., 1889. Author: The
Science of Railways, 1894 (12 vols.); Classical
Portfolio of Primitive Carriers, 1896. Also va-
rious other treatises on transportation mat-
ters. The Romance of Gilbert Holmes, novel,
1900; The Air Brake, 1901; Building and Re-
pairing Railways, 1901; Locomotive Appli-
ances, 1901; How Oil is Used for Fuel on Loco-
motives, 1902; Iskander, novel, 1903. Office:
Jackson Boul. and Franklin St. Residence:
KIBKPATBICK, Edward Franklin, mgr. Mc-
Roy Clay Works; b. Allegheny City, Pa., July
4, 1862; s. Henry and Mary Ann (Irwin) Kirk-
patrick; ed. public schools of Pittsburgh, Pa.;
m. Pittsburgh, Oct. 25, 1885, Mary Agnes Mc-
Intyre; children: Edna North (died, aged 8),
Edward Franklin, Jr. Entered boot and shoe
business at Pittsburgh, 1880, and remained in
that business until 1887; became district agent
of the Westinghouse Electric and Mfg. Co., of
Pittsburgh, Cincinnati branch, Oct., 1887; Chi-
cago branch, Oct., 1891; resigned Sept., 1897,
to accept Chicago agency for Ft. Wayne Elec-
tric Corporation until Dec., 1898, when became
Chicago agent General Electric Co., of Sche-
nectady, N. T., leaving that corporation Dec.,
1900, to engage in the manufacture of clay
conduits for underground wires, now being
mgr. of the McRoy Clay Works. Private In
Washington Infy. and Battery B, Pa. N. G.,
1889-96. Republican. Office: The Rookery. Resi-
dence: 3625 Lake Av.
KIBKFATRICK, John Armour, physician; b.
on farm in Muskingum Co., O., Apr. 20, 1864;
s. James Wylie (abolitionist and Union sol-
dier) and Eleanor Ann (Lyons) Kirkpatrick;
worked on father's farms until 21 years
old; removed to Illinois, 1860; moved to farm
in Washington Co., Ia. t 1869; moved to Kansas,
taught school and singing schools, and attend-
ed State Normal School at Leavenworth, Kan.,
and State Univ., at Lawrence, Kan.; began
study of medicine under M. B. Smith, Holton,
Kan.; then 2 years school principal; attended
Hahnemann Medical College and Hosp., 1882-
1884, graduating, M.D., 1884; m. Denison,
Jackson Co., Kan., Sept. 10, 1885, Alvira B.
Colvin; children: Jessie Belle, John (deceased),