ference, 1897. Mem. International Institute
Statistics; sec. Political Economy Club. (See
Who's Who in America for books, writings,
etc.) Residence: 5627 Madison Av.
LAUTH, Jacob, manufacturer of leather
innersoles; b. Hessen, Ger., May 29, 1851; B.
Philip and Mary (Schaller) Lauth; removed
with parents to Chicago, 1857; ed. Chicago
public (Brown) schools to 1864; m. Chicago,
May, 1878, Katie C. Shade; children: William
P., Emma Catherine, Elizabeth Myrtle. After
leaving school, 1864, learned trade of press-
man in printing office of Thompson, Heggie
& Zimmer; afterward worked for Lakeside
Printing & Publishing Co., Church, Goodman
& Donnelly and other printing firms until
1877, when established business as a manu-
facturer of leather innersoles and sheet heel-
ing, in which he has since been continuously
engaged, building up a large business; also
established the firm of J. Lauth & Co., manu-
facturers of automobiles and gasoline engines.
Is also pres. and dir. in several other enter-
prises, to which devotes a portion of his
time, including the following: Pres. Blue Ridge
Copper Co.; pres. Acme Toy Co. Republican.
K. P. Office: 94-98 Rawson St. Residence: 653
Pine Grove Av.
LAVESY, George Louig, manufacturer of
post office equipments; b. Boston, Mass., Feb.
18, 1856; a. Richard and Sophie Josephine
(Girardin) Lavery; ed. English High School,
Boston, and for mechanical engineering pro-
fession at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, Boston; m. Chicago, Jan. 1, 1884,
Marion Jean Johnson; children: George L. Jr.,
Marion Adrienne. Apprentice to Boston Ma-
chine Co., Boston, Mass., 1872-7; foreman and
later supt. George Miles Iron Works, 1877-84;
mechanical engineer and salesman for Yale
& Town Mfg. Co., "Yale Locks," etc., 1884-7;
general western mgr., same, 1887-98; in busi-
ness of manufacturing post office equipment,
etc., under name of George L. Lavery & Co.,
1899-1902; organized stock company and sold
out to Am. Post Office Equipment Co., becom-
ing pres. and treas. ; also dir. Pacific Post
Office Equipment Co. Mem. Am. Soc. Mechan-
ical Engineers since 1886. Republican; organ-
izer Illinois Commercial & Industrial League,
and chairman executive committee same; or-
ganizer and vice-pres. Dept. of Commercial
Travelers of the U. S. and associated with
the executive committee of the Nat. Repub-
lican Committee, 1896-1904. Episcopalian.
Clubs: Union League, Hamilton. Mem. execu-
tive committee Northwestern Assn. Massachu-
setts Institute of Technology. Mem. Royal
Arcanum, Royal League, Nat. Union. Office:
Tribune Bldg. Residence: 4300 Ellis Av.
LAW, George Wallace, fire underwriter; b.
Cincinnati, O.; s. Dr. John S. and Elizabeth
Reid (Burroughs) Law; ed. public and high
schools, finishing at the old Chickering Acad.,
Cincinnati. In 1881 entered the insurance
agency established in Cincinnati by his father
in 1852, this having been one of the first three
general agencies of the Royal Insurance Co.
established simultaneously at New York,
Philadelphia and Cincinnati; was one of the
firm of John H. Law & Bros., managers of the
Central Dept. of the Royal Insurance Co.
until 1895, when he, with his brother, John
H., moved to Chicago to take charge of the
business of the entire west of the Royal In-
surance Co. (covering 14 states) under the
firm name of Law Bros., managers. Is also
vice-pres. of the Laws Insurance Agency Co.
of Cincinnati. Dir. Royal Trust Co. Bank, Chi-
cago. Democrat (Cleveland school). Christian
Scientist. Clubs: Union League, Edgewater
Golf. Office: 169 Jackson Boul. Residence: Elm-
LAW, John Hugh, insurance; b. Savannah,
Ga., Aug. 17, 1836; s. Dr. John S. and Eliza-
beth R. (Burroughs) Law; ed. Heron College,
Cincinnati, O. ; m. Cincinnati, 1858, Georgia
Overaker. Entered Cincinnati agency of the
Royal Insurance Co. as sec. to his father,
then agent of the company at Cincinnati, 1852;
taken Into partnership, 1871, and became mgr.
of the dept. upon death of his father, 1877;
on the consolidation of the Central Dept. at
Cincinnati and the Western Dept. at Chicago,
1895, became mgr. of the Western Dept., with
his brother, George W., under firm name of
Law Bros. Was mayor of Loveland, O., 4
terms, and also held other important state
and local offices. Club: Union League. Office:
169 Jackson Boul. Residence: 1817 Barry Av.
LAW, Bobert Henry, loan broker; b. Chi-
cago. Formerly in the coal business for many
years; in business as loan broker since 1899.
Pres. Arkansas Land Co., The "Lakota"; vice-
pres. Sinaloa Sugar Co.; dir. Kansas City,
Mexico & Orient Ry. Co. Mem. Chicago Stock
Exchange; associate mem. Chicago Real Estate
Board. Office: 204 Dearborn St. Residence:
LAW, Robert Oswald, printer; b. Ottawa,
Can., May 18, 1861; s. William H. and Susan
Goodall Law; ed. public schools of Canada;
m. Oshawa, Can., 1884, Ellen J. Mackie. Came
to Chicago, 1889; was for 10 years treas. W.
B. Conkey Co.; in 1900 established the Robert
O. Law Co., printers and binders, of which is
pres. Also pres. of the Aquatype Co. of Amer-
350 THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
ica. Republican. Office: 121-127 Plymouth Ct. Office :^31 9 Franklin St. Residence: 4438 Green-
H*k d wEK 5 c:H 9 Andrew MIddleton, newspa- W 1AY, Albert Tracy, capitalist; b. Batavia,
1AWBENCE, Anorew Miaoiew^ * June lg George w and O live
^rP^o^P and Mary Golding Lawrence; ed. (Foote) Lay; ed. public schools of Batavia
Clarence P. and Mary uommg^civv , ^ Geneseo, N. Y.; m. Batavia, N. Y., Feb.
m San FmnciYcoOctfri 884, Minnie 20, 1855, Catherine Smith; children: Mrs. C.
n^/Beean newspaper career as re- A. H. McCauley, Mrs. R. F. Clinch. Came to
then cfty edUor? Washington corre- Chicago from Batavia N Y in 1849 and
nrPnt managing editor of the San Fran- was actively engaged in the lumber business
^FsooExam?^ for 14 years; came to Chicago until 1888 in the firm of Hannah, Lay & Co.
<f manaefne editor Hearst's Chicago Ameri- (established 1850); now vice-pres. Hannah &
?an- became Dublisher same, 1903, and pres. Lay Co.; pres. of the Chamber of Commerce
and' Dublisher the Examiner since 1904. Mein. Safety Vaults Co.; vice-pres. Hannah & Lay
Calif rnia legislature, 1887-8; delegate-at- Mercantile Co., and of Traverse City (Mich.)
in W-P Democratic Nat. Convention, Illinois, State Bank. Republican. Episcopalian. Mem.
i^nf Democrat Episcopalian. Office: 146 Chicago Historical Soc. Clubs: Union League,
franklin St Residence: 563 Dearborn Av. Church, Builders. Office: Chamber of Com-
tAWBENCE William Elmer, transportation merce. Residence: 321 Michigan Av.
nfflrlfll-b Allegheny City, Pa., May 30, 1845; LEACH, Perry W., mem. Farson, Leach &
s John and Jean Yjohnstone) Lawrence; ed. Co. bonds Mem. Chicago Stock Exchange,
erammar 'school of Allegheny City, Pa.; m. Clubs: Union League, Chicago Athletic. Mid-
Iffiheny City. Apr 29, 1874, Clara Spear. Day, Bankers, Oak Park. Office: 140 Dearborn
Entered the service of the Pennsylvania R. St. Residence: 237 S. Oak Park Av., Oak Park,
R at Pittsburgh as messenger, 1859, and 111.
after intermediate promotions was appointed LEAKE, Joseph Bloomfleld, lawyer, soldier;
asst audfto m of the Union Line at Pittsburgh, b. Deerfleld, N. J., Apr. 1, 1828; s. Lewis and
1870- parne to Chicago 1876, to take charge Lydia Leake; removed with parents to Cincin-
nf the western interests of the International nati, Nov., 1836; grad. Miami Univ., 1846;
Navigation Co In 1903 that company was A.M., 1849; m. Boston, Nov. 28, 1865, Mary P.
Absorbed by the International Mercantile Hill. Admitted to bar, Jan. 16, 1850; practiced
Marine Co of which he was appointed west- in Cincinnati, O., until removed to Davenport,
prnfreieht' agent in which position he is still la., Nov., 1856; mem. Iowa House of Repre-
terVine -Republican ClubsV Chicago. Union sentatives, 1861-2; elected state senator, 1862,
TMoiiS' Office- 4 Sherman St. Residence: but resigned after first session to become
fefvJSdde 111 ca Pt- 20th Ia - Vols - ; Heut.-col.. 1862-5; brevet
tAWSON Victor Fremont, publisher Chi- col. and brig.-gen., U. S. V., 1865; elected state
caeo Daily 'News; b. Chicago, Sept. 9, 1850; senator, 1866, but again resigned; county atty.
s Tver Lawson; ed. Phillips Acad., Andover, Scott Co., la., 1866-71; pres. board of educa-
Tvratio took charge of an interest of his tion, Davenport, 1868-71; removed to Chicago,
father's estate in a printing establishment; Nov., 1871; U, S. atty. northern district of Illi-
hmieht Chicago Daily News, 1876, and with nois, 1879-84; atty. board of education, Chi-
hi<i latp nartner Melville E. Stone, developed cago, 1887-91; since then in private practice,
it to success- started morning edition, 1881; Mem. U. S. Grant Post No. 28, G. A. R., Illi-
housrht out Mr Stone, 1888, and became sole nois Commandery Military Order of the Loyal
nrot>rietor Retained the name Daily News for Legion. Clubs: Union League, Chicago Liter-
evening paper and changed the morning issue ary, Chicago Athletic, Marquette. Office: 99
to Chicago Record; later was merged with Washington St. Residence: 218 Cass St.
Times-Herald, 1901, into Record-Herald. Has LEAMING, Jeremiah, lawyer; b. Cape May,
been pres the Associated Press; established N. J., Jan. 20, 1831; s. Jeremiah and Abigail
Dailv News Fresh Air Fund, which maintains (Faulkenberg) Learning; grad. Princeton Col-
the Lincoln Park Sanitarium for sick poor lege, 1853; studied law at Bordentown, N. J.:
children and has been active in other philan- admitted to New Jersey bar, 1856; m. 1856,
thropic 'work Clubs: Chicago, Union League, Harriet, daughter of Rev. Alden Scovel, of
Chicago Athletic, University, Union, Commer- Bordentown, N. J. Removed to Bloomington,
cial Fellowship, Onwentsia, Press (life). Of- 111., and practiced, 1856-67, forming personal
flee' The Daily News. Residence: 317 LaSalle acquaintance of Abraham Lincoln, and prac-
Ay ' ticing in court of Judge David Davis; since
LAWSON, William C., clerk criminal court; 1867 has practiced in Chicago; also for years
b Hamilton, Ont., Can., 1860; s. Joseph and Master in Chancery of the Circuit Court of
Charlotte (Davlson) Lawson; ed. Canada; Cook Co. Mem. Law Institute (ex-pres.). Re-
came to Chicago, 1880; grad. Chicago Law formed Episcopalian. Democrat. Club: Iro-
School 1890; m. Chicago, June 18, 1890, Mary quqis. Office: 59 Clark St. Residence: 3869
T Lewis- 1 son: William C., Jr. (died Aug., Ellis Av.
1897) After coming to Chicago worked as LEARNED, Edwin Julias, treas. Reid, Mur-
clerk before beginning on practice of law, doch & Co., wholesale grocers; b. Chicago,
1890 Republican; asst. sheriff of Cook Co., Feb. 8, 1858; s. Samuel Julius and Ann Elisa-
1898-1902- elected clerk of the criminal court, beth (Lowry) Learned; studied at Lake For-
1902 for term expiring 1906. Pres. Marlboro est Acad. and Amherst College, class 1880.
Portland Cement Co. Presbyterian. Clubs: With Farwell Reduction Works, Georgetown,
Union League Washington Park, Press, Chi- Colo., 1880-2; entered the employ of Reid,
cago Yacht Office: Criminal Court Bldg. Resi- Murdoch & Fischer as asst. cashier, 1883;
dence- 5326 Cornell Av. became cashier, 1884, retaining that position
LAWTON, Lyndon Charles, merchant; b. until 1891, when the company of Reid, Mur-
South Egremont Mass., Mar. 3, 1854; e. doch & Co. was incorporated and he became
Charles S and Roby (Adams) Lawton; ed. treas. of the corporation. Mem. Chi Psi. Club:
public schools of Pittsfleld, Mass., until 16 Onwentsia. Office: Lake and Market Sts. Resi-
vears old- m Chicago, Jan. 14, 1879, Alice dence: Lake Forest, 111.
M Swan- children: James Swan, Lucile R., IiEAVITT, Herbert B., lumber; b. on farm
Marguerite Came to Chicago, 1875, and was in Boone Co., 111., June 26, 1868; s. Oscar and
in employ of Goodyear Rubber Co. 6 years; Delilah (Newton) Leavitt; ed. public schools
organized, with others, in 1881, the Chicago of Boone Co., Illinois, and at Cheboygan,
Rubber Clothing Co.; sold out in 1886 and Mich., where removed, when 11 years old, with
went into the Duck Brand Co. (Lawton & Hall parents, remaining 5 years; then came to Chi-
are proprietors), rubber clothing. Republican, cago, and studied a year in Souder's Business
Universalist. Clubs: Union League, Kenwood. Cpllege; m. Wlnsted, Conn., 1893, Louise C.
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
Cooke; children: Helen C., Herbert B. At age
of 17 secured position as office boy with Cran-
dall. Schultz & Co., wholesale dealers in pine
lumber, in Chicago; soon promoted to clerk
and from that to more responsible positions;
when that firm dissolved became partner.
May, 1894, with J. N. Crandall in firm of
Crandall & Leavitt, whose specialties were
hardwoods and yellow pine, who in 1898
bought extensive tracts of yellow pine tim-
ber in Bradley Co., Ark., and erected at War-
ren, Ark., a circular saw of 60,000 feet daily
capacity; Mr. Crandall sold his interest in
Jan., 1899, to Messrs. Rittenhouse and Embree,
and the business was incorporated as the Ar-
kansas Lumber Co., of which was treas. and
gen. mgr.; resigned, came to Chicago in Sept.,
1903, and became pres. and gen. mgr. of the
Wisconsin Oak Lumber Co. Republican. Office:
3400 Center Av. Residence: 624 E. 50th PL
LEAVITT, Sheldon, physician; b. Grand
Rapids, Mich., Apr. 9, 1850; s. David Sheldon
and Martha Ann Leavitt; literary education
in public schools of Grand Rapids, Mich.; med.
education in Hahnemann Med. College, Chi-
cago (M.D., 1877), and in hosps. abroad. En-
gaged in practice, Chicago, since 1877; special-
ist in obstetrics and gynecology. Prof, of ob-
stetrics in Hahnemann Med. College, Chicago,
1880-98; prof, of gynecology, Chicago Homce.
Med. College, 1898-1902. Mem. Am. Institute
of Homoeopathy. Author: The Science and Art
of Obstetrics (text-book); Psycho-Therapy.
Republican. Mem. Kenwood Evangelical
Church (undenominational). Office: 100 State
St. Residence: 4665 Lake Av.
LEBOLT, Myer Harry, jewelry; b. Chicago,
Sept. 4, 1868; s. L. E. and Jeanette Lebolt; ed.
Chicago public schools. Began business career
as an errand boy in the wholesale jewelry
house of H. F. Hahn & Co., Oct. 8, 1882; later
traveling salesman for same firm until 1895;
Jewelry buyer for A. M. Rothschild & Co.,
1895-9; in July, 1899, established jewelry busi-
ness of Lebolt & Co., of which is pres. Inde-
pendent in politics. Jewish religion. Mason
(32) Clubs: Standard, Jewelers, Automobile;
also Criterion (New York). Office: 167-169
State St. Residence: 3350 Prairie Av.
LE BOSKY, Jacob C., lawyer; b. Chicago,
Oct. 26, 1879; s. Harris B. and Mary (Alexan-
der) Le Bosky; grad. Burr (grammar) School,
1893; studied Y. M. C. A. evening school, 1894-
1895; Lewis Institute, 1896-9; law school,
Univ. of Michigan (summer), 1899; Lake For-
est Univ. (Chicago) College of Law, LL.B.,
1900 Employed in office of Collins, Goodrich,
Darrow & Vincent, 1893; mgr. law printing
dept. A. B. Case Printing & Publishing Co.,
1897-9; with Altgeld, Darrow & Thompson,
lawyers, 1901-2; mem. law firm Darrow,
Thompson & Cross, 1902-3; Prentiss & Le
Bosky, 1903-4; since then alone. Represented
Referendum League before election commis-
sioners in attack of Union Traction Co. on
municipal ownership petition. Democrat. Of-
fice: Unity Bldg. Residence: 481 N. Robey St.
LEDEREH., Charles, cartoonist; b. Lowell,
Mass., 1856; s. J. Lederer; self-educated. Car-
toonist and illustrator since 1875, Chicago
Chronicle, and other journals. Democrat. Club:
Press. Residence: 3846 Ellis Av.
LEDERER, Charles, lawyer; b. Chicago, 111.,
Apr 22, 1877; s. Sigmund and Resie (Klaus-
ner) Lederer; grad. Univ. of Chicago, Ph.B.,
1898; Northwestern Univ., LL.B., 1901; was
mem. of Northwestern Univ. debating team
versus Michigan Univ. at Ann Arbor, Mich.,
in Mar., 1902. Admitted to bar in May, 1901;
mem. law firm of Adler & Lederer since May,
1903 Republican. Office: Chamber of Com-
merce. Residence: 3848 Vincennes Av.
LEE, Blewett, lawyer; b. near Columbus,
Miss., Mar. 1, 1867; s. Lieut.-Gen. Stephen Dill
Lee, C. S. A., and Regina (Harrison) Lee;
grad. Agricultural and Mechanical College of
Mississippi, B.S., 1883; student at Univ. of
Virginia, 1883-5; grad. Harvard Univ., A.M.,
LL.B., 1888, and studied at Univs. of Leipzig
and Freiburg, Ger.; m. Chicago, Feb. 9, 1898,
Frances, daughter of John J. and Frances
(Macbeth) Glessner; children: John Glessner,
Frances. Was private sec. to Justice Horace
Gray of Supreme Court of U. S., 1890; prac-
ticed law in Atlanta, Ga., 1890-3; since 1893
in practice of law in Chicago, and was prof,
of law in the law school of Northwestern
Univ. and later of the Univ. of Chicago; now
gen. atty. I. C. R. R. Co. Mem. Am., Illinois
and Chicago Bar Assns. ; contributor to legal
journals. Clubs: Chicago, University. Office:
Central Station. Residence: 1700 Prairie Av.
LEE, Edward Hervey, railway official; b.
Dayton, O., Jan. 29, 1863; s. John Newton and
Julia (Sheldon) Lee; ed. public schools, and
at Ohio Univ., 1876-8, and Univ. of Wooster
(O.), 1884-5. Since 1880, rodman, asst. en-
gineer, etc., with various railroad companies,
including the "Nickel Plate," Wisconsin Cen-
tral and U. P.; for 6 years, 1887-93, office en-
gineer and chief engineer E., J. & E. Ry. ; in
private practice, 1893-7, as engineer and supt.,
and also in charge of field work for Sanitary
District of Chicago. In 1898, principal asst.
engineer on joint track elevation and de-
pression at 16th St., Chicago; since 1898 en-
gineer and general roadmaster C. & W. I.
R. R. and Belt Ry. of Chicago. Mem. Western
Soc. of Engineers, Am. Soc. of Civil Engineers,
Am. Ry. Engineering and Maintenance of Way
Assn. Club: Western Ry. Office: Dearborn St.
IiEE, James Longbotham, printers' ma-
chinery; b. Halifax, Yorkshire, Eng., July 19,
1839; s. Henry Longbotham and Ruth Ann
Lee; common school education; m. Denver,
Colo., June 1, 1861, Sarah S. E. Gadsden;
children: Fannie G., James Edgar, Lizzie L.,
Ruth M. Apprentice to printers' trade, Halifax,
Eng., Sept., 1851; came to America with par-
ents, 1853; completed his apprenticeship in
Davenport, la.; went to Pike's Peak, 1860;
foreman Rocky Mountain News job room,
1861-2; came to Chicago, Sept., 1863; foreman
for Jerry S. Thompson, 1865-70; began electro-
type foundry with Paul Shniedewend, Nov.,
1870; lost everything in fire of 1871; resumed
business in firm of Shniedewend & Lee, until
1893; organized new, the Challenge Machinery
Co., Nov., 1893, of which he is pres.; removed
factory to Grand Haven, Mich., June 1, 1903,
retaining salesroom in Chicago. Home in Chi-
cago until 1900, when he had to remove to
Pasedena, Calif. Was editor of the Electro-
typer and of the Printers' Album (trade pa-
pers for printers) for about 20 years. Mem.
Illinois Press Assn., Old Time Printers' Assn.
of Chicago. Republican. Mason. Office: 127
Market St. Residence: 673 S. Los Robles Av.,
IiEE, John H. 8., lawyer; b. Topeka, Kan.,
1871; s. J. N. and Julia (Sheldon) Lee; grad.,
B.A., Lake Forest College; B.A., Harvard
Univ., 1896; Northwestern Univ. Law School;
m. Evanston, 111., Oct. 6, 1903, Jessie Haskell
Condict. Admitted to bar by Supreme Court
of Illinois, 1898; asst. state's atty. of Cook
Co. with Charles S. Deneen, 1899-1902; since
1902 mem. of law firm of Musgrave, Vroman
& Lee (Harrison Musgrave, Charles E. Vro-
man, James B. Gascoigne, John H. S. Lee), en-
gaged in general practice; asst. prof. North-
western Univ. Law School. Republican. Clubs:
University, Hamilton, Glen View. Office: First
Nat. Bank Bldg. Residence: 411 Grove St.,
LEE, Lester Edwin, lawyer; b. Terre Haute,
Ind., Nov. 10, 1872; s. Alfred P. and Mary
Margaret (Sheets) Lee; ed. public schools
and 3 years in high school at Indianapolis,
Ind., to 1891; came to Chicago; grad. Bryant
& Stratton Business College, Mar., 1892; grad.
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
Northwestern Univ. Law School, June. 1896;
m. Chicago, May 1, 19 02-, Alice Lewis Carter.
Admitted to bar June 11, 1896; entered law
firm of Phelps & Cleland as junior mem., Sept.,
1896, until li>00; since Oct., 1900, with Julian
A. Burch, practicing as Burch & Lee. For 6
years past atty. for Englewood Law and
Order League; mem. and for past year atty.
Citizens Anti-Crime Committee. Republican.
Methodist. Has done much civic reform work
with different movements. Clubs: Fraternity,
City, Hamilton. Office: Journal Bldg. Resi-
dence: 6012 Indiana Av.
LEEDS, Joseph Smith, mgr. Santa Fe Re-
frigerator Despatch; b. Clermont Co., O., Feb.
18, 1844; s. Aaron and Mary (Smith) Leeds;
ed. public schools of Ohio; served in 79th Regt.
of Ohio Vol. Infy. in Army of Georgia and
with Sherman in march to the sea; m. Ohio,
1867, Sarah Halsted; children: 4 living, Mary
B., Hosmer W., Emma, Elizabeth; and 2
now deceased, Josephine A., Alanson H. Began
railway service in Feb., 1866, as telegraph
operator on the Marietta & Cincinnati R. R.
at Cincinnati until 1868; telegraph operator
and clerk C., B. & Q. R. R. at Buda and Al-
toona, 111., 1868-9; station agent Lewiston, 111.,
1869-70; chief clerk and cashier Keokuk, la.,
1870-8; chief clerk general freight office, A.,
T. & S. F. R. R., 1879-81; asst. general freight
agent, 1881-4; general freight agent, 1884-8,
A., T. & S. F. R. R. ; chairman Transcontinen-
tal Assn., St. Louis, 1888-9; freight traffic
mgr. Mo. P. Ry., 1889-91; traffic merr. Traffic
Assn. of Calif., San Francisco, 1891-5; traffic
mgr. Business Men's League, St. Louis, 1895-7;
mgr. Santa Fe Refrigerator Despatch since
Apr., 1903. Office: Railway Exchange. Resi-
dence: 5635 Madison Av.
XiEEMXNO, Charles Whitaker, real estate;
b. Brantford, Can., Oct. 17, 1863; s. Henry B.
and Janet (Whitaker) Leeming; ed. pub-
lic schools of Brantford, Toronto Univ. and
Northwestern Univ. Med. College, graduating,
M.D., 1891; m. Chicago, 1891, Grace E. Pard-
ridge; children: Dorothy, Florence, Grace
Jeannette, Mary, Robert Pardridge. Came to
Chicago, 1879; grad. in medicine, but has not
practiced, always being in business pursuits;
was in grain commission business on the
Board of Trade for 10 years, but retired in
1900 and has since been engaged In the real
estate and renting business. Dir. Knicker-
bocker Ice Co. Republican. Clubs: Colonial,
Washington Park. Office: 145 LaSalle St. Resi-
dence: 4545 Grand Boul.
LEEMllTG, John, physician and surgeon; b.
Brantford, Can., Mar. 17, 1859; s. Henry B.
and Janet (Whitaker) Leeming; grad. public
and high schools and from Collegiate Insti-
tute of Brantford, Ont., 1879; med. dept. of
Univ. of Toronto, 1886; College of Physicians
and Surgeons, Ont., 1887; Royal College of
Physicians of London, Eng., 1887; m. Chicago,
July 16, 1890, Margaret Sibley; children: John,
Jr., Francis C., Eleanor W., Tom, James W.,
Mason Starring. For few years after finish-
ing school in Canada was employed In dry
goods and grocery store In Brantford, Ont.;
came to Chicago, 1879, for a year; employed
in wholesale grocery on River St. (Scherer,
Sherk & Co.), and 6 months in retail store of
C. H. Slack; traveled for New York firm,
Thomas Leeming & Co., 2 years; then took up
medical studies at Toronto, Ont., and London,
Eng., 5 years; since 1887 In med. practice In
Chicago; has been connected with Northwest-
ern Univ. Med. School 8 years, as mem. of
the faculty and prof, of materia medica; has
been since connected as attending surgeon
with several hosps. ; attending physician Chi-
cago Provident Hosp., several years; attend-
ing surgeon Lakeside Hosp. and Chicago
Hosp., and now attending surgeon Chicago
Baptist Hosp. and Cook Co. Hosp.; practice
during past 8 years has been chiefly in sur-
gery. Mem. Am. Med. Assn., Chicago Med. Soc.,
Physicians' Club, Illinois State Med. Soc. Re-
publican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Washington
Park, Chicago Athletic, Colonial. Office and
residence: 3541 Indiana Av.
LEx'ENS, Thies Jacob, real estate owner; b.
Hamburg, Germany, Mar. 4, 1846; s. Jacob and
Meta (Stremmann) Lefens; ed. schools of
Germany; m. Chicago, Feb. 12, 1878, Marie
Seipp; 4 children. Was apprenticed in Germany
to merchant in produce business, 1861-5; came
to Chicago in 1865, and was engaged in the
produce commission business, 1865-78; became
sec. and treas. Seipp Brewing Co., 1878-1902;
when the business was sold to Chicago Con-
solidated Brewing & Malting Co.; since then in