his father, W. J. Stewart; then took up the
study of advanced medical electro-therapeu-
tics, making a special scientific study of the
Finsen Light treatment; since Aug., 1903, has
held his present position as gen. mgr. of the
Finsen Light Inst. of America (Kranz Bldg.).
Mem. Chicago Electro-Therapeutic Society.
Congregationalist. Clubs: Chicago Automobile,
Ashland. Office: Washington Boul. and Hamlin
Ave. Residence: 1628 Jackson Boul.
STEWART, George Neil Innes, educator,
physician; b. in Canada; grad. Univ. of Edin-
burgh, A.M., 1883 (D.Sc., M.D., Edinburgh;
D.P.H., Univ. of Cambridge). Senior demon-
strator of physiology, Owens College, Vic-
toria Univ., Manchester, Eng., 1887-9; George
Henry Lewes student Univ. of Cambridge,
1889-93; examiner in physiology, Univ. of
Aberdeen, 1891-4; instructor, Harvard Univ.,
1893-4; prof, physiology and histology, West-
ern Reserve Univ., 1894-1903; prof, physiology,
Univ. of Chicago, since 1903. Mem. Physlol.
Soc. (Eng.), Am. Physiol. Soc. Author of
Manual of Physiology, 1896, 1901. Address:
Univ. of Chicago.
STEWART, Harry John, physician and sur-
geon; vice-pres. of The Finsen Light Institute
of America; b. Harriston, Ont., Can., Nov. 22,
1874; s. W. J. and Mary Rosetta (Thompson)
Stewart; ed. public school at Harriston, Ont.,
until 12 years old; at Kalamazoo, Mich., until
14; high 'school, Allfcgan, Mich., until 16; at
Chicago Veterinary College, 3 years; med. dept.
Univ. of Illinois, 3 years, graduating M.D.,
1897. Engaged in practice of medicine; made
special studies in connection with the Finsen
Light treatment and is now connected as
physician with The Finsen Light Institute
of America, 78 State St., and vice-pres. of
same, in addition to his general practice as a
physician and surgeon. Republican. Local
surgeon C. <fe N.-W. R. R. Mem. Chicago Med.
Soc., Am. Med. Assn., Chicago Electro-Med.
Soc. Mason; Medinah Temple, Chicago Con-
sistory. Club: Chicago Automobile. Office:
2118 W. Lake St. Residence: 2027 Washington
STEWART, liee Xingrsley. dentist; b. Mil-
ton, Vt., Aug. 30, 1865; s. Ezra H. and Laura
(Kingsley) Stewart; ed. Northwestern Univ.,
Yale Univ.. Ohio Dental College, Philadelphia
Dental College, D.D.S., 1886; courses at Ohio
Med. College, Chicago Post-Graduate College,
etc.; m. Wilmette, 111., Mar. 3, 1903, Mary
Mullen; 1 son: James Douglas Stewart. Mem.
Illinois State Dental Soc., Northern Illinois
Dental Soc., Chicago Dental Soc., Odon to-
graphic Soc. Republican. Methodist. Clubs:
Chicago Athletic, Evanston, Wilmette Golf.
Office: 103 State St. Residence: Wilmette, Til.
STEWART, Oliver Wayne, chairman Pro-
hibition Nat. Committee; b. Mercer Co., 111.,
May 22, 1867; s. Charles and Eliza J. Stew-
art; grad. Eureka College. Eureka, 111., 1890;
entered ministry Church of Christ (Disciples),
1887; m. Sullivan, Moultrie Co., 111., Aug. 20,
1890, Elvira J. Seass. Always interested in
temperance work. Sec. of Dist. Lodge, I. O.
G T.. 1887; candidate Congress (Prohibition),
9th Illinois District, 1890: sec. Illinois Chris-
tian Endeavor Union, 1893-5; pres. same,
1895-7; mem. Illinois State Prohibition Com-
mittee, 1894-1900; chairman Illinois State
Prohibition Convention, 1896; chairman Nat.
Prohibition Convention, Pittsburgh, Pa., 1896;
chairman Illinois State Prohibition Commit-
tee, 1896-1900; elected chairman Nat. Prohi-
bition Committee, Dec., 1899, to fill vacancy;
re-elected nat. chairman Nat. Prohibition Con-
vention, June, 1900; re-elected, 1904, and re-
signed Jan., 1905; elected as prohibitionist,
1902, mem. Illinois General Assembly, from
5th Dist., serving 1903. Address: Hyde Park,
Chicago. * KJSfl
STEWART, Wellington Thomas, physician
and surgeon; pres. Finsen Light Institute of
America; b. Harley, Brant Co., Ont., July 18,
1862; s. William James and Mary Rosetta
(Thompson) Stewart; ed. public schools of
Harriston, Ont., and at Toronto School of
Medicine, from which was grad., M.D., 1886;
m. Orangeville, Ont.. Oct. 8, 1886, Henrietta
Anderson; children: William Anderson, George
Ross. Engaged in general practice as physi-
cian at Kalamazoo, Mich., 1886-91; came to
Chicago; took a post-graduate course of 2
years in the College of Physicians and Sur-
geons, and engaged in general practice in
Chicago, the last 5 years as a specialist in
surgery; surgeon to Kedzie Hosp., Cook Co.
Hosp., Western Sanitarium and Hosp. In Apr.,
1903, established the Finsen Light Institute
of America, of which he is pres. Republican;
mem. Republican Marching Club. Presbyte-
rian; pres. Board of Trustees Douglas Pres-
byterian Church. Mason: mem. Chicago Con-
sistory, S. R. M. (32), and of Medinah Tem-
ple, Mystic Shrine. Mem. K. P., K. O. T. M.,
K. O. L. S. Mem. Am. Med. Assn., Mississippi
Valley Med. Soc., Illinois State Med. Soc., Chi-
cago Med. Soc. Clubs: Chicago Automobile,
Hamilton, Physicians. Office: 1770 Washington
Boul. Residence: 978 Douglas Boul.
STICKNEY, Joseph L., journalist, war cor-
respondent. (See Who's Who in America.)
STH.ES, Lawrence G., wool merchant; b.
East Aurora, N. T., July 16, 1862: s. J. W. and
Cordelia (Fish) Stiles; ed. public schools of
Fast Aurora, N. T. ; m. Savannah, 111., May 6,
1891, Jennie Gleason; children: Daniel, Philip.
Began business career as a boy in the employ
of H. T. Thompson & Co., in the wool busi-
ness; later represented the firm on the road,
and in 1887 was admitted to partnership.
Mr. Thompson retired in 1888, but the busi-
ness has continued without chansre of name,
although the members now are Messrs. H. T.
Fry and L. G. Stiles. Clubs: Chicago Athletic,
Glen View, Edgewater Golf, Casino (Edge-
water). Office: 201-209 Michigan St. Resi-
dence: 2998 Kenmore Av.
STIRLING, William Robert, steel manu-
facturer, investment agent; b. Portobello,
Scotland, Mar. 30, 1851; s. John and Cather-
ine Mary (Wellings) Stirling; ed. Thomas
Hodge's School at St. Andrew's, Fifeshire,
Scotland, and Royal Grammar School at Hen-
ley-on-Thames, Eng.; m. Chicago, Apr. 26,
1883, Alice Ives Hibbard; children: Alice May,
Dorothy, Jean Wedderburn. Came to U. S.,
1879; treas. of the Joliet Steel Co., 1879-89;
1st vice-pres. Illinois Steel Co.. 1889-94; pres.
Universal Construction Co., 1895-6; since Jan.,
1897, partner in Peabody, Houghteling & Co.
(established 1865), investments and real
estate. Republican. Actively interested in civil
service reform and the Bureau of Charities.
Episcopalian: active in Brotherhood of St.
Andrew and kindred societies. Clubs: Chicago,
Chicago Literary, Church, Onwentsia, Winter
(Lake Forest). Office: First Nat. Bank Bldg.
Residence: 1616 Prairie Av. and Lake Forest,
STOBIE, Charles Stewart, artist: b. Balti-
more, Md., Mar. 18, 1845; s. Charles U. and
Janet (Oughterlonie) Stobie; ed. private
schools of Baltimore, followed by 2 years in
Madras College, St. Andrew's. Fifeshire, Scot-
land. Began art studies, 1861; practiced as
architectural draftsman; crossed the plains
to Denver, 1865; studied and painted Indians
and mountain scenery for years; was a scout
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
under Maj. Downing, 1868, and under Maj. D.
C. Oakes, 1869; guide and buffalo hunter in
the early '70s; returned to Chicago, 1874, and
has since maintained studio here, painting por-
traits and continuing his work in painting
Indians and Western scenes in Colorado,
Wyoming, etc. Office: 444 W. 65th St.
STOCK, Ernst, real estate and loan agent;
b. Hamburg, Ger., Mar. 13, 1848; s. W. and E.
(Axt) Stock; ed. public schools of Hamburg,
Ger.; m. Chicago, Sept., 1872, Mary Gilleck;
children: Ernst, Jr., Frank, Elizabeth, Elsie.
Came from Germany direct to Chicago in
1868; was employed in wholesale liquor house,
1868-72; engaged in retail grocery business,
1872-86; since 1886 engaged in buying and
selling North Side real estate, renting houses,
flats, etc., on North Side and making mort-
gage loans on North Side property. Repub-
lican. Mason: Blue Lodge and Royal Arch
chapter. Club: Germania. Office: 374 E. Divi-
sion St. Residence: 1846 Roscoe St.
STOCK, Frederick A., conductor of the Chi-
cago Orchestra; b. Julich, Ger., 1872; musical
education at Cologne Univ. Came to Chicago,
1895, to join the Chicago Orchestra as viola
player; was asst. dir. several years, and after
the death of Theodore Thomas, became the
dir. Compositions include a set of variations,
which have been performed by the orchestra,
several songs and string pieces, etc. Address:
1710 Cornelia Av.
STOCKTON, John Thaw, gen. mgr. Joseph
Stockton Co., forwarders; b. Chicago, June
14, 1866; s. Joseph and Kate E. (Denniston)
Stockton; ed. public schools of Lake View;
m. Chicago, Oct. 8, 1890, Mabel E. Cobb; chil-
dren: Walter, Robert. On leaving school be-
came identified with the Joseph Stockton Co.,
doing a very large business in the forwarding
and transferring of freight in Chicago; ad-
vanced in the business until he attained his
present position as gen. mgr. and dir. Repub-
lican. Mem. Military Order of the Loyal
Legion, Field Museum Assn. Clubs: Union
League, Evanston Country; also Transporta-
tion and Arkwright (New York). Office: The
Rookery. Residence: 1109 Hinman Av., Evans-
STOCKTON, Joseph, soldier, pres. Joseph
Stockton Co.; b. Pittsburgh, Pa., Aug. 10,
1833; s. R. C. and Martha Stockton; ed. public
schools of Pittsburgh; m. Pittsburgh, Feb. 5,
1865, Kate E. Denniston. Came to Chicago,
1852, and was employed several years in com-
mission house of George A. Gibbs & Co. r
later clerk in office of Am. Transportation
Co.; then in freight office of Fort Wayne R.
R. until he enlisted in what was known as the
1st Board of Trade Regt. (72d 111. Vols.), or-
ganized July, 1862; became 1st lieut., capt.,
maj. and lieut.-col. ; served in 17th Army
Corps; commanded regt. after fall of Vicks-
burg; wounded at battle of Franklin, Tenn.,
Nov. 30, 1864; brevetted col. and brig.-gen.
for meritorious services. Agent Empire Trans-
portation Co. since 1866; mem. Board of Com-
missioners of Lincoln Park, 1869-93; organized
the efforts which culminated in erection of
Grant Monument in Lincoln Park. Mem. Loyal
Legion, G. A. R. Active Republican; has been
chief marshal of every Republican procession
In Chicago since the war, including grand
procession just before election of Pres. Mc-
Kinley. Chief of staff to Gen. Sheridan on re-
ception to Gen. Grant on his tour of the
world; to Gen. Forsyth for Garfleld Memorial
Procession; to Gen. Miles at unveiling of
Grant Monument; at World's Fair parade,
Oct., 1892; chief marshal Peace Jubilee
Parade, 1898. Club: Union League. Office: The
Rookery. Residence: 567 LaSalle Av.
STOCKWELIi, John Wesley, Jr., clergyman;
b. Portland, Me., Mar. 24, 1873; s. John Wes-
ley and Eliza Jane (Mathias) Stockwell; grad.
primary school, 1885, grammar school, 1888,
Portland, Me.; high school, Deering, Me., 1891,
Portland, Me., 1892; entered New Church
Theological School at Cambridge, Mass., 1901,
graduating, 1903; special studies at Harvard,
summer of 1902, at Univ. of Chicago, 1903-4.
In daily newspaper work at Philadelphia from
police reporter to managing editor, 1892-9;
expert financial writer for Philadelphia, New
York and Boston papers, 1899-1901; clergy-
man since June, 1903; pastor of Church of
the New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian) at south-
west corner of 46th St. and Woodlawn Av.
Mem. Chicago Soc. of the New Jerusalem
Church, Illinois Assn. of the New Jerusalem
Church, Western New Church Union, Young
People's League of the New Jerusalem
Church; asst. sec. General Convention of the
Church of the New Jerusalem in America.
Mem. Stock Yards District Council, Chicago
Board of Charities. Office: Parish House, 46th
St. and Woodlawn Av. Residence: 6010 Jeffer-
STOELTING, Christian Hans, manufactur-
er; and dealer in laboratory apparatus, etc.;
b. Gross Harrie, Holstein, Germany, July 18,
1864; s. Max D. and Christine (Pries) Stoelt-
ing; ed. Germany; m. Chicago, July, 1889,
Amalia C. Klockhaus. Came to America in
1881, and to Chicago, -1883, and from 1881-6,
held various positions as mechanician and
foreman. Began business in June, 1886, with
John A. Loff, as LofE & Stoelting, which was
dissolved, 1889; continued under individual
name until 1892, when business was incor-
porated as C. H. Stoelting Mfg. Co. In 1895,
organized Chicago Laboratory Supply and
Scale Co. (absorbing C. H. Stoelting Mfg. Co.),
and in 1903 changed its name to C. H. Stoelt-
ing Co., manufacturers of and dealers in
laboratory apparatus and supplies, and is pres.
and treas. of the company. Republican. Lu-
theran. Mason: Park Lodge, 843. Mem. Chi-
cago Drug Trade Club. Office: 39 W. Randolph
St. Residence: 1934 Kenmore Av.
STOIiIi, Robert Hamilton, lawyer; b. Lex-
ington, Ky., Apr. 1, 1872; s. George and Julia
(Hamilton) Stoll; ed. public schools of New
York City and Chicago; grad. from North-
western Univ. Law School, 1894; m. Chicago,
Sept. 11, 1902, Alice L. Mayo; 1 daughter:
Virginia. Admitted to bar by Supreme Court
of Illinois, 1894; since then engaged in gen-
eral practice of law in Chicago, but making
a specialty of corporation, commercial and
probate law. Also pres. Hay and Grain Re-
porter Co.; treas. the Mexican Nat. Salt Co.;
mem. of Forbes & Co., publishers, and other
corporations. Republican. Methodist. Club:
The Oaks (Austin). Office: 100 Washington
St. Residence: 5715 Ohio St., Austin, 111.
STOIiZ, Joseph, rabbi of Isaiah Temple, Chi-
cago, since 1887; b. Syracuse, N. Y., Nov. 3,
1861; s. David and Regina Stolz; grad. Univ.
of Cincinnati, 1883, Hebrew Union College,
Cincinnati, 1884 (D.D.); m. Cincinnati, June
24, 1890, Blanche Rauh. Stationed at Little
Rock, Ark., 1884-7. Pres. Hebrew Union Col-
lege Alumni; vice-pres. Jewish Publication
Soc., Jewish Chautauqua; 1st vice-pres. Cen-
tral Conf. of Am. Rabbis; dir. Congress of
Liberal Religions; mem. Board of Education,
appointed by Mayor Harrison, 1902. Author:
Funeral Agenda of Jews. Clubs: Standard,
Lakeside, Chicago Literary. Address: 157 42d
STONE, Abraham Louis, wholesale jeweler;
b. Werbalen, Prussia, Nov. 22, 1861; s. Isaac
and Anna (Traub) Stone; ed. public schools;
m. Pittsfield, 111., Dec. 30, 1892, Ida B. Hirs-
heimer; 1 son: Irving Stanley. Began business
life as clerk in retail store at St. Louis, Mo.;
went to Louisiana, Mo., 1879, and was a mem.
of the firm of Hess & Stone, 8 years; in busi-
ness at Pittsfield, 111., 1887-9; since 1889 in
Chicago in firm of Stone Bros. (A. L., Jacob
and Nathan Stone), wholesale jewelers and
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
Importers of novelties. Also pres. of the Herz-
feld-Phllipson Co., of Milwaukee, Wis. Demo-
crat. Club: Ravlsloe Golf. Office: 199 Market
St. Residence: 3419 Prairie Av.
STONE, Prank Burrlll, lumber; b. Chi-
cago, Oct. 15, 1860; s. R. B. and Lucy Ellen
(Russell) Stone; ed. Chicago public schools;
m. Chicago, Oct. 3, 1883, Carrie L. Rounds;
children: William A., Inez M. After leaving
school in 1877, worked at lumber yard in Chi-
cago, then in saw-mill in Indiana. In 1878
clerk with Chapman, Grier & Co., wholesale
glassware, Chicago; in 1880 clerk with father,
and, after latter's death, with R. B. Stone
Lumber Co. In firm of Agnew & Stone, lum-
ber, 1888-90; since Dec., 1890, in business
alone, principally handling lumber and tim-
ber for railway, bridge, and heavy construc-
tions. Pres. Trinidad River Agricultural Co.;
dir. Mexican Mutual Planters Assn. Repub-
lican. Congregationalist. Clubs: Union League,
Chicago Athletic, Midlothian, Chicago Auto-
mobile. K. T., Montjoie Commandery. Office:
Railway Exchange. Residence: 5627 Monroe
STONE, George Frederick, sec. Board of
Trade; b. Newburyport, Mass., Apr. 24, 1836;
s. of Jacob and Eliza (Atkins) Stone; ed.
public schools and in Dummer Acad., Byfield,
Mass.; m. 1861, Julia S. Spaulding, of Lud-
low, Vt., daughter of Rev. Ephraim Spaulding,
who was one of the first band of Am. mis-
sionaries to the Sandwich Islands; 1 daugh-
ter: Eliza Atkins. After leaving school, was
clerk in the house of Denny, Rice & Gardner,
of Boston; later was paying and receiving
teller of Maverick Bank of Boston; later
commission merchant, of firm of Stone, Denny
& Co., Boston, and resident of Melrose, Mass.,
where he was selectman of the town and
chairman of the school committee; pres. Corn
Exchange (now Chamber of Commerce) of
Boston, 1871-2; moved to Chicago, 1876; sec.
Chicago Board of Trade since 1884; several
times delegate to Nat. Board of Trade; mem.,
and chairman, Board of Trade branch, World's
Commercial Congress, 1893; consul for several
years for Guatamala, Nicaragua, Honduras.
Republican. Mason. Odd Fellow (past grand).
Fellow Royal Statistical Soc. of London.
Mem. Loyal Legion. Club: Press. Office: Board
of Trade. Residence: Evanston, 111.
STONE, George William, Board of Trade
commission; b. New York City, July 3, 1844;
s. George C. and Sarah (Wheeler) Stone; ed.
public schools, New York; m. Elizabeth, N. J.,
Apr. 13, 1871, Annie E. Ross; children: Charles
H., Harry W., George W., Jr., Arthur, Annie
Louise. Clerk in commission house, New York,
1861-77; moved to Chicago, 1877, and in busi-
ness on Board of Trade ever since. Was a dir.
of the Board 3 years. Republican. Presbyte-
rian. Clubs: Midlothian Golf, Waupanseh. Of-
fice: Royal Insurance Bldg. Residence: 3020
STONE, Herbert Stuart, publisher; b. Chi-
cago, May 29, 1871; s. Melville E. and Martha
Jameson (McFarland) Stone; preparatory edu-
cation at Chateau de Lancy. Geneva, Switzer-
land; grad. Harvard Univ., 1894; m. Baltimore,
Md., Dec. 12, 1900, Mary Grigsby McCormick;
children: Herbert Stuart Creighton, Mary
Eleanor McCormick, Melville Edwin 3d. Start-
ed publishing business of Stone & Kimball,
1894, while still at Harvard: founded the Chap-
Book, a semi-monthly literary magazine,
which created some interest and had a host
of imitators; sold it in 1897; firm of Herbert
S. Stone & Co. succeeded Stone & Kimball and
purchased the magazine The House Beautiful
(founded, 1896): personally bought entire mag-
azine, 1901, and has since edited and published
it. Still mem. of the firm of Herbert S. Stone
& Co., in book publishing business. Republi-
can. Mem. Exposition Board for Philippine
Government, 1904. Clubs: Chicago, Chicago
Golf, Onwentsia, Saddle and Cycle, Caxton;
also Players (New York). Office: Republic
Bldg. Residence: 412 Erie St.
STONE, Horace Qreeley, lawyer; b. in Kala-
mazoo Co., Mich., Feb. 23, 1852; s. Horace A.
and Hannah M. (Robbins) Stone; grad. Kala-
mazoo, Mich., High School, 1868; widower; 1
daughter: Louise. Was employed in wholesale
notion house in Kalamazoo, 1868-73, mean-
while studying law in office of Hon. J. C. Bur-
rows (now U. S. Senator); came to Chicago,
and was engaged in various pursuits until ad-
mitted to bar, 1878; atty. for C. & W. I. Ry.,
1878-81; practiced at Stillwater and St. Paul,
Minn., 1881-95; atty. and asst. receiver North-
western Car & Mfg. Co., 1884-7; identified with
many corporation law suits in Minnesota, and
as counsel in connection with land grants and
corporations on Messabe and Vermilion
ranges; returned to Chicago in 1895; now of
Gurley, Stone & Wood; was in Ward Will
Case, the Pewabic Mining Co. litigation, "De-
partment Store" cases and chief counsel for
Capt. Oberlin M. Carter, U. S. A., in suits re-
garding $500,000 claimed by the U. S. govern-
ment. Republican (generally). Presbyterian.
Club: Union League. Office: Marquette Bldg.
Residence: 5141 Michigan Av.
STONE, James Samuel, clergyman; b. Ships-
ton-on-Stowe, Eng., Apr. 27, 1852; s. James
Samuel and Anne (Print) Stone; ed. in various
schools in England; came to U. S., 1873; grad.
Philadelphia Divinity School, 1877; Cambridge
Theological School, B.D., 1880; Bishop's Col-
lege, Lenoxville, Quebec, D.D., 1886; natural-
ized in Philadelphia. 1892; m. Doylestown, Pa.,
Jan. 4, 1898, Caroline Worthington; 1 daugh-
ter: Violet Elfrida. Ordained deacon in Phila-
delphia, June 22, 1876; priest in Toronto, July
1, 1877; rector St. Philip's Church, Toronto,
1879-82; St. Martin's Church, Montreal, 1882-
1886; Grace Church, Philadelphia, 1886-95; St.
James Church, Chicago, since 1895. One of edi-
tors of Am. Church Sunday School Magazine.
Was chaplain 3d regt., N. G. of Pennsylvania,
1892-3. Republican. Author: Simple Sermons
on Simple Subjects, 1879; The Heart of Merrie
England, 1887; Readings in Church History,
1889; Necessity of Dogma in the Church, 1892;
Woods and Dales of Derbyshire, 1894; Over
the Hills to Broadway, 1894; From Frankfort
to Munich, 1894. Address: 128 Rush St.
STONE, Lewis W., retired real estate deal-
er; b. Orford, N. H., Nov. 4, 1816; s. Abi.iah
and Mehitable (Gage) Stone; worked on farm
and attended school winters; m. Apr. 4, 1841,
Mary R. Gardner, of Lyme, N. H. ; 1 adopted
daughter (Mrs. Carrie Howard). Was engaged
in farming in New Hampshire until 1845; came
to Chicago; engaged in manufacture of lime
until 1849, when went to California from Bos-
ton by way of Cape Horn; engaged in gold
digging, but soon had a severe case of typhoid
fever, and on his convalescence returned to
Chicago and engaged in manufacture of brick.
Invested largely in real estate and later aban-
doned the brick business and devoted atten-
tion to real estate exclusively; laid out sub-
division on a large tract he owned near Jack-
son Park, in which region he still owns many
buildings; retired from business in the early
'90s. Republican. Residence: 4316 Michigan Av.
STONE, Melville Edwin, Jr., publisher; b.
Chicago, Nov. 3, 1874; s. Melville E. and
Martha Jameson (McFarland) Stone; ed. Chi-
cago public schools, private schools in Eu-
rope, Phillips Andover Acad., Andover, Mass.,
class of 1893, and grad. Harvard Univ., 1897;
m. Chicago, Oct. 27, 1900, Lucretia Hosmer
(died Aug. 2, 1901). After graduation from
college became associated with his brother,
Herbert S. Stone, in book publishing firm of
Herbert S. Stone & Co. Gold Democrat. Con-
gregationalist. Clubs: Chicago, Chicago Golf;
also Players (New York). Office: Republic
Bldg. Residence: 187 Rush St.
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
STONEHILL, Charles Archibald, wholesale
millinery; b. Chicago, Aug. 19, 1861; s. Joseph
and Rebecca (Neuberger) Stonehill; ed. Notre
Dame, Ind. ; m. Milwaukee, Jan. 17, 1891, Net-
tle Hyman; children: Marjorie, Dorothy,
Charles Archibald II. After leaving School,
1877, entered employ of Gage Bros., wholesale
millinery, as stock boy; entered employ of
Edward Hinchliffe, Chicago, as city salesman;
established in dry goods and millinery busi-
ness for self at Marshalltown, la., 1884; re-
moved business to Omaha, 1888. Came to Chi-
cago, 1892, and entered employ of the Chicago
Mercantile Co., wholesale millinery, of which
he became pres. in 1897. Independent in poli-
tics. Clubs: Standard, Ravisloe Country. Of-
fice: 106-112 Wabash Av. Residence: 4800
STONEMAN, George Washing-ton, lumber-
man; b. McConnellsville, O., Sept. 6, 1863; ed.
public schools of McConnellsville, O. ; m. Chi-
cago, Sept. 19, 1893, Cora E. Fleming; chil-
dren: Evalyn, Robert F. Went from Ohio to
Peoria, 111., and thence came, in 1883, to Chi-
cago and was connected with Thomas McFar-
land & Son until 1889; from 1889 to 1898 was
of Parmelee & Stoneman, lumber, and in 1898
changed to George W. Stoneman & Co., of
which he is the senior mem., the firm making
a specialty of hardwood lumber, mahogany
and veneers; also pres. and treas. of the
Stoneman-Zearing Lumber Co., with mills at
DeValls Bluff, Ark. Independent In politics.
Club: Illinois. Mason. Mem. of the Order of
"Hoo Hoo." Office: 76 W. Erie St. Residence:
882 W. Adams St.
STOKER, John, physician; b. Portland, Me.,
Dec. 5, 1861; s. George L. and Mary (Johnson)
Storer; grad. High School, Madison, Wis., 1880;
grad. Hahnemann Med. College and Hosp.,
Chicago, M.D., 1889; m. Portland, Me., Jan. 14,
1886, Myra F. Coffin; children: Horace Porter,
Natalie (deceased), John, Jr. Followed grad-
uation in 1889 with 6 months of post-grad-
uate work in New York. Began practice in
fall of 1889 at Jamaica Plain, Boston; after
about 9 years of practice health broke down.
Six months later began special study of dis-
eases of the eye, ear, nose and throat at Bos-
ton, New York, London, Germany and Paris.
Since May 1, 1898, in exclusive practice of
specialty in Chicago. For several years was
registrar, treas. and dir. Dunham Med. College,
in which held the professorship of specialty;