charge of claim dept., London Guarantee and
Accident Co., 1893-6; since then, gen. atty.
for same company. Democrat. Catholic. Club:
Chicago Yacht. Office: 315 Dearborn St. Resi-
dence: 4949 Washington Park PI.
CAPPER, John Sheville, merchant; b. Phila-
delphia, Pa., Nov. 19, 1867; s. Henry and Sa-
rah Jane (Sheville) Capper; ed. public schools;
m. Chicago, Apr. 25, 1888, Nellie Ebersole;
children: Howard Chislett, Emma Bessie, Mar-
ion Nell, Marguerite Gertrude, John Sheville,
Jr. Began business life as cash boy with C.
W. and E. Partridge; then 5 years with C. R.
Harshberger, and 3 years with W. B. Black-
man & Bro.; since June, 1893, retailer and
manufacturer men's furnishing goods, being
pres. and treas. of Capper & Capper. Democrat.
Universalist. Mem. Normal Park Lodge, A. F.
and A. M. Office: 45-47 Jackson Boul. Resi-
dence: 7116 Yale Av.
CAPPS, Joseph Almarln, physician; b. Jack-
sonville, 111., Feb. 28, 1872; s. Stephen R. and
Rhoda S. (Tomlin) Capps; grad. Illinois Col-
lege, A.B., 1891; Harvard Univ. Med. School,
M.D., 1895; A.M., Harvard Univ., 1897; m. Chi-
cago, 111., 1904, E. Christy Brooks. Fellow in
pathology, 1895-6; house physician 1 year
(1895), McLean Insane Hosp., Waverley,
Mass.; house physician, 1897, in Boston Lying-
in Hosp. Was 2 years house physician, Massa-
chusetts General Hosp., Boston; since 1897 in
general practice of medicine in Chicago; since
1898 instructor in medicine, Rush Med. Col-
lege; asst. visiting physician Presbyterian
Hosp. Independent Republican. Club: Univer-
sity. Office: 100 State St. Residence: 2216 Prai-
CARET, William P., vice-pres. and mgr.
Carey-Lombard Lumber Co.; b. Bloomington,
111., Aug. 25, 1861; s. John B. and Sarah (Ben-
nett) Carey; ed. public schools; m. Vermilion,
Erie Co., O., Apr. 23, 1885, Mary E. Young;
children, John William, Charles Daniel, Mary
J., Clarence J., Francis E., Katharine S. Began
business life as asst. in lumber yard at Wich-
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
ita, Kan.; has been engaged in the lumber
trade since 1876, and since 1889 has held pres-
ent position as vice-pres., dir. and mgr. of the
Carey-Lombard Lumber Co. Democrat. Club:
Union League. Office: 205 LaSalle St. Resi-
dence: 3933 Grand Boul.
CARHAKT, George Tappen, pres. Montague
& Co., commission merchants; b. Chicago, Oct.
17, 1871; s. Richard L. and Lucinda A.
(Smith) Carhart; ed. public schools; m. Chi-
cago, Sept. 19, 1894, Susie P. Page; 1 daugh-
ter: Dorothy Murray. After leaving school in
1888, entered employ of Montague & Co., com-
mission flour, grain, millstuffs, etc., as office
boy, and has continued in the same house ever
since; incorporated, 1896, and has since been
pres. Mem. Board of Trade. Republican.
Mason. Office: 6 Sherman St. Residence:
CARLETON, Stanley, manufacturer; b.
Thomaston, Me., July 15, 1871; s. Edward B.
and Sarah (Pales) Carleton; ed. public schools
of Thomaston, Me.; m. Windsor, Vt., June,
1895, Mary I. Davis; 1 son: Gilbert Davis.
Worked on farm in Maine until 1888, when he
came to Chicago, and became connected with
the George E. Watson Co. (established that
year), manufacturers of the "Monogram"
brands of paints and varnishes, and dealers
in complete lines of painters' supplies; sec.
of the company since 1891, and now also mgr.
of the factory. Mem. Paint, Oil and Drug Club,
Chicago Drug Trade Club. Republican. Club:
Oak Park. Office: 79 E. Ohio St. Residence: 231
N. Kenilworth Av., Oak Park, 111.
CARHLE, William B., insurance; in the
service of the Mutual Life Insurance Co. of
New York many years; was appointed inspec-
tor of agencies for the U. S. and Canada, and
later was sent west to organize the Western
Special Dept.; then was appointed mgr. of the
Chicago General Agency, following its merger
with the Western Special Dept. Clubs: Chicago,
Union, Washington Park, Chicago Athletic,
Chicago Golf. Office: Tribune Bldg. Residence:
35 E. Pearson St.
CARLSON, Gustaf Henry, civil engineer and
surveyor; b. Malmo, Sweden, Apr. 16, 1848; s.
Carl Axel Carlson; ed. public schools of Mal-
mo until 10 years old; then at a school at
Christiansfeld, Ger., where studied classics and
engineering, graduating in 1867; returned to
Sweden, and was variously employed until
1870, when emigrated to the U. S.: m. Hyde
Park (Chicago), 1878, Julia Vodoz; children:
Gustaf Henry, Jr., Julie Vodoz. On arrival in
this country first essayed stock raising in
Kansas; came to Chicago, 1872, and entered
employ of S. S. Greeley, engineer and sur-
veyor, as asst. engineer, so serving until 1874,
when became asst. engineer of Hyde Park and
was engaged in getting out an atlas of that
village; returned to Mr. Greeley in 1877, be-
came his partner, 1882, under firm name of
Greeley & Co., changing, 2 years later, to
Greeley, Carlson & Co.; in 1887 incorporated
as Greeley, Carlson Co., continued under that
name until Feb., 1898, then engaged in busi-
ness alone. Compiled the last atlas of Chicago
from plats and abstracts of title, showing all
land within city limits; in 1901-2 he made a
complete survey and atlas of the Town of Pull-
man for the Pullman Co. Democrat. Office: 115
Dearborn St. Residence: 4300 Ellis Av.
CARMACX, Edgar H., life underwriter; b.
Monongahela, Washington Co., Pa., July 10,
1852; s. Josiah W. and Margaret Carmack; ed.
Pittsburgh (Pa.) public schools, Western
Univ. of Pennsylvania, 1865; m. Chicago, June
29, 1887, Clara Vrooman. Bookkeeper in life
insurance office, Mar., 1870; sec. Mutual Life
Insurance Co. of Chicago, 1873-6; western mgr.
Continental Life Insurance Co. of Hartford,
1876. to Jan., 1888; with Mutual Life of New
York to 1896; with State Mutual Life Insur-
ance Co. of Worcester, Mass., from Feb., 1896;
general agent since June 1, 1898. Pres. Ab-
stract Vault Co.; dir. Congress Hotel Co., Ophir
Copper Mining Co., Pineforest Lumber Co. Was
Democrat until 1896; since then Republican.
Episcopalian. Clubs: Chicago Athletic, Wash-
ington Park, Germania Mannerchor, Exmoor,
Hamilton, Chicago Yacht. Office: 85 Dearborn
St. Residence: The Garrard, 383 Superior St.
CARMAN, Charlea Whitney, consulting en-
gineer; b. Rochester, N. Y.. Dec. 16, 1858; s.
John and Electa (Camburn) Carman; grad
Univ. of Michigan, 1884; m. Grand Rapids,
Mich., June 27, 1899, Gertrude Gay; 1 son-
George Gay. Was principal Owasso (Mich.)
High School, 1884-5, and Lansing (Mich.)
High School, 1885-6; prof, of science, Grand
Rapids (Mich.) High School, 1886-91; city elec-
trician, Grand Rapids, 1891-5, and pres. and
gen. mgr. Grand Rapids Electric Co.; came to
Chicago, 1895, and was asst. prof, of physics,
Lewis Institute, 1895-9; since July 1, 1900,
treas. of the Carman Projector and Specialty
Co. Also with M. C. Hartman, composing firm
of Charles Whitney Carman & Co., consulting
engineers. Republican. Mem. Architectural
Club. Mason, mem. Grand Rapids Lodge No.
34. Office: Ry. Exchange. Residence: 1664
CARMAN, George Noble, dir. Lewis Insti-
tute since 1895; b. Walworth, N. Y., July 18,
1856; s. John and Electa (Camburn) Carman;
grad. Univ. of Michigan, 1881; m. Toronto,
Can., July 25, 1883, Ada J. MacVicar. Princi-
pal Ypsilanti (Mich.) High School, 1880-2;
supt. schools, Union City, Mich., 1882-5; prin-
cipal Brooklyn Grammar School No. 15, 1885-9;
St. Paul (Minn.) High School, 1889-93; dean
Morgan Park Acad. of Univ. of Chicago, 1893-
1895; sec. of Commission on Accredited
Schools of the North Central Assn. of Colleges
and Secondary Schools. Clubs: Chicago Liter-
ary, Union League, Illinois. Residence: 147
CARNAHAN, Charles Calvin, lawyer; b.
Cochran's Mills, Armstrong Co., Pa., Apr. 3,
1868; s. William H. and Maria L. (McKee)
Carnahan; ed. public schools of Armstrong
Co., Pa., Hillsdale College, Michigan, and Chi-
cago College of Law; m. Chicago, June 15, 1894,
Katherine A. Hawkes; 1 daughter: Madeleine
R. Came to Chicago in 1891; admitted to bar
of Supreme Court of the State, 1892, and ever
since engaged in general practice of law; now
senior of firm of Carnahan, Slusser, Hawkes
& Cox. Treas. and dir. Am. Land and Live
Stock Co.; dir. Standard Playing Card Co., G.
P. Paint Manufacturing Co., and identified
with other corporations. Republican. Was can-
didate for Congress, 5th Congressional Dis-
trict of Illinois, 1900, but defeated. Mason
(32); mem. Oriental Consistory S. R., and of
Medinah Temple, Mystic Shrine; K. P.; Nation-
al Union, Chicago Bar Assn. and Law Insti-
tute. Clubs: Illinois, Lincoln, Chicago Athletic.
Office: Unity Bldg. Residence: 388 Ashland
CARNEY, William James, lumber; b. in Co.
Mayo, Ireland, Sept. 20, 1855; s. John and
Bridget (Fahey) Carney; family came to Chi-
cago from Ireland, 1866; ed. old Kinzie School;
m. Chicago, 1883, Teresa E. Cunningham; chil-
dren: Otis (died 1899), Roy William. Began
business life in employ of W. J. Frawley & Co.,
lumber, as a tally boy at $4 a week; remained,
in advancing positions, with firm until 1874;
bookkeeper for Eggleston, Hazelton & Co.,
lumber, 1874-7: then with the Mackinaw Lum-
ber Co., 1877-85; while still with that firm.
Joined his brother, B. J. Carney, in the firm of
Carney Bros., establishing yards at Grinnell,
Marshalltown, Des Moines, and other points
in Iowa, from which was developed the pres-
ent Carney Bros. Co., of which is pres.; became
partner in firm of McElwee & Carney, and
McElwee & Co., Marinette, Wis., 1885. Helped
to organize the Edward Hines Lumber Co.,
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
1892, and has ever since been a dir. in that
company; organized, at Whatcom, Wash., 1902
the Whatcom Timber Co., of which is pres.,
organized, 1903, at Sheridan, Wyo., the Carney
Coal Co., of which is pres.; also pres. of the
Savior Coal Co., Des Moines, la. Democrat.
Catholic. Clubs: Colonial, Washington Park.
Sheridan. Office: Chamber of Commerce. Resi-
dence: 4218 Grand Boul. ,
CAROL AN, Joseph, County Comm r; b. Os-
wego, N. Y., Feb. 25, 1852; s. George Henry
and Katherine (Hoey) Carolan; ed. public
schools; learned printer's trade; worked on
Inter Ocean, 1872-80; m., 1st, Chicago, Oct 9.
l.v.M Kaiinie M. Drake; in., 2<1. Kenosha, Wis.,
June 5, 1894, Lida J. Robinson; children: Jo-
sephine Lucille, Ethel Fannie, Penn Nixon,
George Francis. Florence Mary. Was deputy
sheriff of Cook Co., 1880-6; chief deputy, crim-
inal dept., sheriff's office, 1896-8; Co. commis-
sioner of Cook Co. since 1898, having been
elected, Nov. 8, 1904, for fourth term. Agent
of fire and marine insurance companies. Ke r
publican. Office: County Bldg. Residence: 28o
Forest Av., River Forest.
CARPENTER, Augustus Alvord, lumber
merchant and capitalist; b. Franklin Co., N.
Y June 8, 1825; s. Alanson and Gulia Elma
(Nichols) Carpenter; ed. common schools of
western New York, but left school at early
age and set out in search of fortune; went to
California by way of Isthmus of Panama and
engaged in mining and trading with his broth-
er- returned in 1855 with considerable capital;
engaged in dry goods and lumber business in
Monroe Co., Wis.; in 1860 with Abner Kirby,
of Milwaukee, Wis.. S. M. Stephenson. of Me-
nominee, Mich., and W. O. Carpenter, of Chi-
cago, organized the lumber firm of Kirby,
Carpenter & Co., now the Kirby-Carpenter Co.,
of which is pres. Resident of Chicago since
1864; m. 1863, Elizabeth Kempton, New Bed-
ford, Mass; 1 son: Augustus A. Carpenter, Jr.,
1 daughter: Anne, wife of John E. Newell. Dir.
First National Bank; was a dir. Metropolitan
National Bank. Pres. Lumberman's National
Bank of Menominee, Mich., for several years;
also pres. the Lumberman's Mining Co. of
Iron Mountain, Mich. Has been pres. Citizens
Assn and identified with various municipal
reforms. Clubs: Chicago, Commercial, Union
(pres.). Office: Ry. Exchange Bldg. Residence:
83 Cass St.
CARPENTER, Augustus Alvord, Jr., vice-
pres. Texas Tie and Lumber Preserving Co.,
etc.; b. Chicago, Feb. 9, 1868; s. Augustus Al-
vord and Elizabeth (Kempton) Carpenter; ed.
private schools, Chicago, and preparatory
schools; m. Chicago, Nov. 17, 1897, Alice
Keith; children: Keith, Alice Elizabeth. Began
business career, 1889, with the Kirby-Carpen-
ter Co., lumber, of which is now gen. mgr. ;
with Texas Tie and Lumber Preserving Co.,
1896, and now vice-pres. ; also vice-pres. and
dir. of the Tonty Lumber Co., and, since 1903,
vice-pres. and dir. of the Ayer & Lord Tie Co.,
manufacturers and contractors for railroad
ties. Clubs: Chicago, University, Washington
Park, Onwentsia, Saddle and Cycle. Office: Ry.
Exchange Bldg. Residence: 1708 Prairie Av. ;
summer, Rye Beach, N. H.
CARPENTER, Benjamin, merchant; b. Chi-
cago, Sept. 16. 18C5; s. George B. and Eliza-
beth Curtis (Greene) Carpenter; ed. Chicago
public schools, Univ. School, Chicago; Harvard
Univ., graduating, S.B., 1888; m. Chicago, Sept.
18, 1893, Helen Graham Fairbank; children:
Benjamin, Jr., Cordelia Fairbank, Elizabeth
Webster, Fairbank. Immediately after gradu-
ation, 1888, entered house of George B. Car-
penter & Co., of which his father was head
(founded originally in 1840) and has ever
since been a mem. of the firm, who are manu-
facturers and jobbers of railroad, mill, contrac-
tors' and vessel supplies, with branch houses
at Seattle, Wash., and at South Chicago. Is dir.
in Elk Rapids Iron Co., pres. Anniston Cord-
age Co., treas. Chicago Net and Twine Co.,
treas. South Chicago Ship Chandlery Co.; dir.
Sunde & Erland Co. (Seattle). Independent Re-
publican. Unitarian. Dir. Chicago Relief and
Aid Soc. Clubs: Chicago, University, Harvard,
Skokie, Chicago Yacht, Columbia Yacht, Mer-
chants, Commercial; also Harvard (New
York). Office: 206 S. Water St. Residence:
CARPENTER, Edward Farrington, whole-
sale boots and shoes; b. Barre, Vt., Sept. 23,
1853; s. Dr. Augustus B. and Martha (Farring-
ton) Carpenter; ed. Northwestern Univ.; m.
Evanston, 111., 1870, Belle Reed; children: Ruth,
Farrington, Kenneth, Willis V. (deceased),
Marion Eunice. Entire business life in shoe
trade, first with Wiswall & Thompson, in
minor position, in 1872; then with Greenf elder,
Rosenthal & Co., as traveling salesman in
Iowa; since 1882 in business for self; now
pres. Guthmann, Carpenter & Telling. Clubs:
Union League, Chicago Athletic. Office: 226
Franklin St. Residence: 1314 Hinman Av.,
CARPENTER, Elliott Rathbone, dentist; b.
Chicago, Apr. 24, 1865; s. Edgar Rodney Eu-
gene and Emma Sanford (Rathbone) Carpen-
ter; ed. Holbrook's Military Acad., Ossinning,
N. Y.; grad. dental dept. Univ. of Pennsyl-
vania, D.D.S., May 1, 1891; m. Grand Rapids,
Mich., June 25, 1904, Mae Ethel Sattley. En-
gaged in practice of dentistry in Chicago since
May, 1891. Vice-pres. Odontographic Soc.;
treas. Chicago Dental Soc.; pres. Odontological
Soc. of Chicago. Ex-mem. Co. E, 2d Regt.,
I. N. G. Episcopalian. Clubs: Chicago Yacht,
Hinsdale. Office: Cable Bldg. Residence: Hins-
CABPENTEB, Frederic Ives, educator; b.
Monroe, Wis., Nov. 29, 1861; s. W. O. and Lu-
cetta (Spencer) Carpenter; ed. Chicago public
and high schools; grad. Harvard, 1885, Univ.
of Chicago, Ph.D., 1895; m. Chicago, 1888,
Emma, daughter C. W. Cook. Since 1895 has
taught in Univ. of Chicago. Mem. Modern
Language Assn. of America, Am. Historical
Assn., Bibliographical Soc. of America. Clubs:
University, Quadrangle, Literary, Harvard,
Homewood, Lake Zurich Golf. Author and edi-
tor of books, poems, etc. (See Who's Who in
America for list.) Residence: 5533 Woodlawn
CABPENTEB, George Albert, lawyer; b.
Chicago, Oct. 20, 1867; s. George B. and Eliza-
beth Curtis (Greene) Carpenter; grad. Har-
vard Univ., A.B., 1888; Harvard Law School,
LL.B., 1891; m. Chicago, May 10, 1894, Harriet
Isham; children: Katherine Snow, George Ben-
jamin. Admitted to bar, Oct., 1890; entered
law office of Abram M. Pence, Chicago, 1891:
admitted to partnership, 1892, under firm
name of Pence & Carpenter, which continues.
Republican. Congregationalist. Clubs: Chicago,
University, Onwentsia, Saddle and Cycle, Lake
Geneva Country, Fellowship, Law. Office: Port-
land Blk. Residence: 57 Bellevue PI.
CABPENTEB, George B., merchant and ship
chandler; b. Conneaut, O., Mar. 12, 1834; s.
Benjamin and Abagail Hayes Carpenter;
came to Chicago with father's family, 1850;
grad. St. Mary's College, 1852; m. 1861, Eliza-
beth Curtis Greene; children: Benjamin,
George Albert, Hubbard F., John A. Connected
1852-7, with packing house of Marsh & Car-
penter, in which his father was partner; pur-
chased, 1857, one-third interest in ship chan-
dlery house of Gilbert Hubbard & Co., acquir-
ing sole proprietorship on death of Mr. Gil-
bert Hubbard, and since continuing as George
B. Carpenter & Co., in which his sons are now
associated with him; dir. South Chicago Ship
Chandlery Co., the Anniston Cordage Co., of
Anniston. Ala., the Sunde & Erland Co., of
Seattle, Wash. Clubs: Union League, Chicago.
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
Office: 200-8 S. Water St. Residence: 107 Lin-
coln Park Boul.
CARPENTER, George Thomas, physician;
b. Chicago, Oct. 18, 184S; s. Job and Ellen
(Bishop) Carpenter; ed. public school, Chi-
cago, Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery,
Philadelphia, graduating D.D.S., 1870; Rush
Med. College, Chicago, graduating M.D., 1880;
m. Girard, Kan., .Dec., 1887, Flora Colton.
Practiced dentistry, 1870-80; since then prac-
ticing medicine as specialist in diseases of
nose, mouth and throat, including dentistry.
Formerly instructor in nose and throat dept.,
College of Physicians and Surgeons, Chicago,
and prof, of oral surgery, Univ. of Illinois.
Mem. Chicago Med. Soc., Chicago Laryngo-
logical and Otological Soc., Illinois State Med.
Soc., Am. Med. Assn., Chicago Odontographic
Soc., Illinois State Dental Assn. Congregation-
alist. Office: 67 Wabash Av. Residence: 2341
Lakewood Av., Edgewater, 111.
CARPENTER, Henry Clay, vice-pres. N. Z.
Graves & Co., manufacturers of varnish,
japans and colors, Fulton and May Sts. ; b.
Philadelphia, Mar. 2, 1865; s. Henry C. and
Frances (Barlow) Carpenter; grad. public
school of Philadelphia; engaged in business
in 1882; m. Feb. 17, 1886, Louise Love Gill;
1 daughter: Beatrice Gill. Came to Chicago
in 1901. Republican. Episcopalian. Clubs: Chi-
cago Athletic, Calumet, Washington Park.
Office: Fulton and May Sts. Residence: 4747
CARPENTER, Hubbard, merchant; b. Park
Ridge, 111., Sept. 29, 1874; s. George B. and
Elizabeth Curtis (Greene) Carpenter; ed.
Univ. School, Chicago, Harvard Univ., gradu-
ating, 1897; m. Lake Geneva, Wis., June 9,
1898, Rosalie Sturges; children: Mary Dela-
fleld, George Sturges. Since 1898 mem. of flrm
of George B. Carpenter & Co., manufacturers
and jobbers of railroad, mill, and contractors'
supplies (founded 1840). Republican. Clubs:
Chicago, University, Onwentsia, Saddle and
Cycle. Office: 208 S. Water St. Residence: 105
Lincoln Park Boul.
CARPENTER, John Aldan, merchant; b.
Park Ridge, 111., Feb. 28, 1876; s. George B.
and Elizabeth Curtis (Greene) Carpenter; ed.
Park Ridge public school, 1884-8; Univ. School,
Chicago, 1888-93; Harvard Univ., 1893-7, grad-
uating, A.B.; m. Chicago, Nov. 20, 1900, Rue
Winterbotham; 1 daughter: Genevieve. After
graduation from Harvard entered, Sept., 1897,
the business of George B. Carpenter & Co.
(founded 1840, and of which his father has
for years been head), jobbers of mill, railway,
and vessel supplies, and after serving the
house in various depts. was admitted to part-
nership in the firm in Jan., 1901. Also treas.
of the Sunde & Erland Co., Seattle, Wash. Re-
publican. Congregationalist. Clubs: University,
Saddle and Cycle. Office: 200-8 S. Water St.
Residence: 181 Rush St.
CARPENTER, Myron Jay, railway official;
b. Caledonia, 111., Apr. 12, 1850. Entered rail-
way service, 1869, as operator C., M. & St. P.
Ry. ; has been agent, . traveling auditor, store-
keeper, cashier on various railways; division
supt., Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City Ry. ;
gen. mgr., and later pres. Duluth & Iron Range
R. R. Was pres. Chicago & Eastern Illinois
Ry. ; vice-pres. and gen. mgr. Pere Marquette
R. R. Co. until Sept., 1904; not now officially
connected with any railway. Office: Tribune
Bldg. Residence: La Grange, 111.
CARPENTER, Newton Henry, sec. of the
Art Institute of Chicago; b. Olmsted Falls,
O., May 17, 1853; s. William S. and Lucina
(Horr) Carpenter; ed. public schools, followed
by studies at West Point Military Acad.; m.
Sandwich, 111., Dec. 25, 1879, Hattie Lewis;
children: Lewis, Gladys. Came to Chicago in
Sept., 1886, and entered employ of the Chicago
Acad. of Design, with which continued until
the Art Institute of Chicago was organ-
ized in 1879; after that was connected with
latter institution and in Dec., 1881, was elected
sec. of the Art Institute, in which position
still remains. Republican. Served 5 years in
1st Regt., I. N. G., Chicago, 1877-82. Congrega-
tionalist. Club: Congregational. Office: Art In-
stitute. Residence: 121 8th Av., LaGrange, 111.
GARB, Clyde Mitchell, merchant; b. Chica-
go, July 7, 1869; s. Richard Baxter and Marga-
ret (Mitchell) Carr; family natives of Virginia
for many generations; prepared for Princeton
at Lake Forest Acad., entered class 1889;
later was student for 2 years at Northwestern
Univ.; m. Evanston, 111., 1894, Lilian Van Al-
styne. After leaving college filled a position
with Peoples Gas Light & Coke Co.; sales-
man for W. S. Mallory & Co., of Chicago, iron
jobbers, 1890-1; since 1891 connected with
Joseph T. Ryerson & Son, heavy iron and
steel trade, of which he is now a dir., vice-
pres. and sec. Pres. and dir. of several other
companies allied with the iron trade. Dir. of
Evanston Hosp. Mem. Princeton Soc.; mem.
First Presbyterian Church, of Evanston.
Clubs: Chicago, Chicago Athletic, University,
Mid-Day, Onwentsia, Glen View, Evanston,
Evanston Country, Evanston Golf; also Du-
quesne and Union Clubs of Pittsburgh, Pa. Of-
fice: 18 Milwaukee Av. Residence: 1309 Davis
CARR, Henry H., grain commission; b.
Northville, LaSalle Co., 111., June 20, 1844; s.
Joseph Henry and Eve Eliza M. M. Carr; ed.
public schools, Sandwich, 111., and at business
college in Chicago; m., 1st, Mar. 1, 1867, Mary
Jane Hobbs; 2d, Feb. 5, 1892, Miss E. L. Subel.
During spare time while at school and after-
ward was engaged in his father's grain and
general merchandise business at Sandwich,
111., until 1862, when he enlisted in the 105th
Illinois Volunteers, serving in the Army of
the Cumberland and with Sherman's March
to the Sea, and took part in the Grand Review
at Washington at close of war. After war
went to Leavenworth, Kan., then with whole-
sale house of W. H. Johnson & Co., Quincy,
111.; afterward wjth Field, Leiter & Co., Chi-
cago; then for 6 years mem. Board of Trade
firm of E. F. Pulsifer & Co.; with N. B. Ream
& Co., 1879-84; since then in firm of H. H.
Carr & Co. Originator of direct shipping plan
by which farmer's load direct with grain cars.
Was several years sec. of the Grain Receiver's
Assn. Office: Board of Trade. Residence: 3343
CARR, Homer J., newspaper man; b. Mid-
dlebury, Ind., Nov. 15, 1858; s. Julius and
Celestia (Skinner) Carr; grad. Univ. of Chi-
cago, 1879; editor Journal, White Pigeon,
Mich., until 1883; m. 1st, Feb. 9, 1888, Allie
Whitlar; 1 son: Frederick W. ; m. 2d, June
15, 1902. Celestia Skinner; 1 son: Homer.
Since 1884 engaged in newspaper work in Chi-
cago and since 1893 has been mgr. of the
Lake Marine News. Republican. Mem. and
pres. of the Chicago Press Club. Office: 138
Jackson Boul. Residence: 6432 Minerva Av.
CARR, Robert Franklin, manufacturing
chemist; b. Argenta, 111., Nov. 21, 1871; s.
Robert F. and Emily A. (Smick) Carr; ed.
Argenta public school and Univ. of Illinois,
graduating as chemist with degree of B.S.,
1893. Came to Chicago after graduation in
1893, and worked in retail drug business until
Nov., 1894, when he entered the service of the
Dearborn Drug and Chemical Works; elected
sec., 1897, and vice-pres. and gen. mgr. in Jan.,
1898, in which position he continues. Also
vice-pres. of the Winthrop Drug and Chemical
Works; chairman board of dirs., Illinois Com-
mercial Men's Assn. (accident insurance).
Mem. Am. Chemical Soc. Clubs: Chicago Ath-
letic, Oak Park, River Forest. Office: Postal
Telegraph Bldg. Residence: 416 Home Av., Oak
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS