Clark & Engle, Chicago, 1884-9; since 1890 en-
gaged in practice of law. Alderman 17th
Ward, elected Apr., 1902, and re-elected Apr.,
1904. Democrat; mem. executive committee
and chairman judiciary committee of Demo-
cratic Co. Central Committee. R. C. Mem. Nat.
Union, Catholic Order of Foresters, Knights of
Maccabees, Knights of Columbus. Office: 70
LaSalle St. Residence: 225 W. Chicago Av.
DEVINE, Miles J., lawyer; b. Chicago, Nov.
11, 1866; s. Patrick and Elizabeth Devine;
ed. public schools, St. Francis Seminary, Bay
View, Wis., the Seminary of Our Lady of
Angels, Niagara, N. Y., and Lake Forest (111.)
Univ.; grad. from Chicago College of Law,
1890; m. Mar. 17, 1884, Emma (Gamash) De-
vine, Waukegan, 111.; children: Miles J., Paul
P., Leo Jerome, Mabel Ruth, Raymond, Carter
Harrison (deceased). Admitted to bar, 1890;
since then engaged in general practice in firm
of Devine & O'Connell. City prosecuting atty.
under Mayors Harrison (senior), Hopkins and
Swift;- resigned. Nominated by Populists of
15th Senatorial District for State Senate,
1893, but declined; nominated for Congress
4th District, Aug., 1896, declined; elected City
Atty. of Chicago, 1897, serving until 1899.
Democrat. Clubs: Cook Co. Democracy, Chi-
cago Democratic. Treasurer of Garfield Park
Driving Assn. Office: Reaper Blk. Residence:
57 Macalister PI.
DEVITT, Martin. Allen, banker; b. West
Day, Saratoga Co., N. Y., Apr. 7, 1863; a.
Martin and Mary (Allen) Devitt; ed. public
school. Was formerly engaged in the banking
business in Cleveland, O. ; came to Chicago in
1892, and has since been engaged in the same
business here; now head of the firm of Devitt,
Tremble & Co., bankers and bond brokers
(M. A. Devitt, Sidney B. Tremble, G. T. Trem-
ble, A. W. Howard, F. A. Stuart). Is vice-
pres. and dir. of the Alliance Gas & Electric
Co., and is also dir. in each of the following
'corporations: Bahia & Honda Land & Improve-
ment Co. of Cuba; C., I. & E. Ry. Co.; Es-
canaba Woodenware Co. of Escanaba, Mich.,
Kenosha Gas & Electric Co. of Kenosha, Wls. ;
LaCrosse Gas & Electric Co. of LaCrosse,
Wis., and Pueblo Gas & Fuel Co., of Pueblo,
Colo. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Union
League, Mid-Day, Lake Zurich Golf, Chicago
Automobile. Office. 1st Nat. Bank Bldg. Resi-
dence: 815 The Plaza.
DEVORE, John Abraham, tailor; b. Cali-
fornia, Washington Co., Pa., Oct. 7, 1858; s.
Abraham Allfree and Rachel (Long) Devore;
ed. public schools: m. Chicago, Oct. 18, 1878,
Anna Evans; 1 daughter: Miriam. At age of
14 began to learn the tailoring business with
father in Pittsburgh, Pa.; came from Pitts-
burgh to Chicago, 1878, and with father en-
gaged in tailoring business under style of
A, A. Devore & Son, in which has continued
ever since, and since incorporation of the
business in 1902 has been pres. of the com-
pany. Republican. Christian Scientist. Clubs:
Union League, Kenwood, Midlothian. Office:
Pullman Bldg. Residence: The Kenwood.
THE BOOK OF CHIC A GO A NS
DEWAR, Alexander L., banker and broker;
b. Glasgow, Scotland, 1852; s. Plummer and
Eliza (Pew) Dewar; moved to Canada, 1856;
ed. Canadian schools; m. 1875, Grace Mac-
Kenzie, Hamilton, Ont. ; children: Fred Har-
old, Elsie, Maude, John, Helen, Arthur. At 19
went to New York, becoming paying teller In
a Wall St. banking house; later in a bank in
Canada; came to Chicago, 1881, in charge of
Chicago agency of Canadian Bank of Com-
merce; assisted in organizing Am. Exchange
Nat. Bank, 1886, becoming its cashier; estab-
lished, 1895, firm of A. L. Dewar & Co., now
Dewar & Yerkes, of which he is senior mem.
Mem. Chicago Stock Exchange, Chicago Board
of Trade. Clubs: Chicago, Union League,
Bankers. Office: 234 LaSalle St. Residence:
942 Michigan Av., Evanston, 111.
DEWES, Francis Joseph, pres. Standard
Brewery; b. Losheim, Rhenish Prussia, Apr.
8, 1845; s. Peter and Margaretha (Zengele)
Dewes; (father, a brewer, was mem. of the
1st German Parliament, held at Frankfort, in
1848); grad. Realschule, Cologne, 1861. In
Feb., 1868, came from Germany direct to Chi-
cago; m. 1876, Hattie Busch, of Detroit, Mich.;
children: Irma, Edwin, Pierre, Arthur, Meta
Margaret. On arriving in Chicago, 1868, be-
came bookkeeper for Rehm & Bartholomae,
brewers, until 1870, then for Busch & Brand
until 1873, when, the business being incor-
porated as Busch & Brand's Brewery Co., he
became a stockholder in the corporation and
sec. of the company until May 1, 1881, when
sold his stock and went to Germany; returned
in 1882, and established the F. J. Dewes
Brewery Co., of which he was sole proprietor;
sold out later and organized the Standard
Brewery, of which is pres. In 1892 presented
statue of Alexander von Humboldt to Hum-
boldt Park. Mason. Clubs: Union League, Chi-
cago Athletic, Germania, Germania Manner-
chor. Office: 571 S. Campbell Av. Residence:
1849 Wrightwood Av.
BEWEY, Frank Jones, physician; b. La-
Salle Co., 111., Nov. 2, 1851; s. L. N. and Nancy
(Jones) Dewey; ed. public schools of Illinois;
grad. Rush Med. College, M.D., 1885; m. Whea-
ton, 111., Feb., 1904, Lue E. Austin. Was in
live stock business in Kansas 10 years before
entering med. college; located in Chicago in
practice of medicine in 1885; was house physi-
cian Central Free Dispensary 3% years;
demonstrator in anatomy Dental Dept. of Lake
Forest Univ. Mem. Am. Med. Assn., Illi-
nois State Med. Assn., Chicago Pathological
Soc. Republican. Office: 100 State St. Resi-
dence: 302 Oakley Boul.
DEWEY, Richard, physician; b. Forestville,
N. Y., Dec. 6, 1845; ed. common and high
school and literary dept., Univ. of Michigan
(2 years); M.D., Univ. of Michigan, 1869
(A.M.); m. 1st, 1873, Lillian Dwight, Clinton,
N. Y. (died, 1880); m. 2d, 1886, Mary E.
Brown, Brighton, N. Y. Interne Brooklyn City
Hosp., 1870; volunteer asst. surgeon, Franco-
Prussian War, with 7th Corps, field hosp.,
Pont a Mousson, France, and Reserve Hosp.,
Hesse-Cassel, Ger. ; student under Virchow,
Berlin, 1871; asst. physician, State Hosp. for
Insane, Elgin, 111., 1872-9; med. supt. State
Hosp. for Insane, Kankakee, 111., 1879-93; prof,
mental and nervous diseases, Chicago Post-
Graduate Med. School; pres. Am. Medico-
Psychol. Soc., 1896; pres. Chicago Neurol. Soc.,
1899; chairman Sect. Nervous and Mental Dis-
eases, Am. Med. Assn., 1902; mem. various
med. socs. ; expert and writer on mental dis-
eases; in charge Milwaukee Sanitarium, Chi-
cago. Office: 34 Washington St. Address: Wau-
DEWEY, William W., clergyman; b. Way-
land, Pa., Nov. 15, 1841; s. Justin and Esther
(Wright) Dewey, (both of Puritan stock); ed.
academy and Allegheny College, Meadville.
Pa.; m. Wayland, Pa., Mar. 24, 1864, Mary,
daughter of Rev. John Hicks; was pastor of
Baptist churches at Wayland, Springboro and
Linesville, Pa., and for short time in Kan-
sas and at Pueblo, Colo.; district missionary
in Michigan, Jan. 1, 1893, to April 30, 1896;
pastor Bethany Baptist Church, Chicago, Mar.
1, 1896, to Dec. 30, 1901; chapel car evangelist,
Nov. 1, 1901, to May 30, 1902; pastor Messiah
Baptist Church, Chicago, since June 1, 1902.
Address: 617 Flournoy St.
DEWHURST, Frederic Eli, pastor Univer-
sity Congregational Church, Chicago, since
Jan., 1900; b. Bradford, Me., Apr. 20, 1855; s.
Eli and Diantha (Richards) Dewhurst; grad.
Colby Univ., Me., 1878 (A.M., 1881); m. Oct. 9.
1883, May Taylor. Instructor history and
Latin, Connecticut Literary Institute, Suffield,
Conn.; pastor of churches in Quincy, Mass.,
and Burlington, Vt., 1882-92; lecturer on eco-
nomics and sociology, Univ. of Vermont, 1889-
1892; pastor Plymouth Congregational Church,
Indianapolis, 1892-9. Author: Dwellers in
Tents, 1897; Fundamental and other Sermons,
1903; The Magi in the West, 1904. Address:
5746 Madison Av.
DE WINDT, Heyliger Adams, pres. and
treas. Sidwell-De Windt Shoe Co.; b. Fishkill-
on-the-Hudson, N. Y., Feb. 17, 1857; s. Arthur
and Georgiana (Rich) De Windt; prepared for
college at Adams Acad., Quincy, Mass., 1873-
1877; at Harvard Univ., 1877-81, graduating
A.B.; m. New Bedford, Mass., Sept. 10, 1889,
Bertha W. Mandell; children: Heyliger, Delano,
Caroline, Alice. Came to Chicago, July, 1881,
and began work with C. H. Fargo & Co.;
worked in stock for 6 months; then sent out
as traveling salesman in Minnesota and Dakota
for a year (1882); returned to house in charge
of rubber dept.; remained in their employ 10
years; in 1894 took interest in the Sidwell-
De Windt Shoe Co., wholesale, of which is
now pres. and treas.; director of the Pair-
pont Corporation. Dir. Chicago Lying-in Hosp.
Commissioner of the Winnetka Park District.
Republican. Clubs: Chicago, University, Cax-
ton, Skokie. Office: 202 Monroe St. Residence:
DE WITT, William Converse, clergyman; b.
Tiskilwa, 111., Oct. 31, 1860; s. E. D. and
Fannie (Perkins) DeWitt; ed. grammar
schools at Princeton, 111., Elyria, O., and Ra-
cine, Wis.; grad. Racine College, B.A., 1884;
M.A., 1886; attended General Theological
Seminary, New York, and Western Theolog-
ical Seminary, Chicago; m. LaGrange, 111.,
1886, Martha Louise Cossitt; children: Helen
C., Evelyn I. Ordained deacon 1886, ordained
priest 1887, by Bishop McLaren; rector Grace
Church, Freeport, 111., 1886-9; since 1889
rector of St. Andrews' Church, Chicago. Mem.
Board of Missions, Diocese of Chicago; Board
of Trustees, Waterman Hall; Board of Trus-
tees, Western Theological Seminary. Church:
Washington Boul. and Robey St. Residence:
733 Washington Boul.
DE WOLF, De Witt Clinton, coal merchant;
b Chester, Mass., Feb. 10, 1864; s. Dr. Thad-
deus K. and Mary (Phelps) De Wolf; ed. pub-
lic schools at Chester, Mass.; m. Chicago, Nov.
27, 1889, Harriet Woodcock; children: Elsie
Helen, Louise. Came to Chicago in 1880, and
was employed by Phelps, Dodge & Palmer Co.
for 15 years, during the last 5 years a dir.
In 1889, organized the Chicago Coal Co. at
Seymour, la., and in 1893, the Numa Coal Co.
of Iowa, and was pres. of both; the two cor-
porations were succeeded by the Numa Block
Coal Co., of which he is pres.; company owns
and operates four bituminous coal mines and
two general stores. Also pres. of the De Wolf
Stock Farm Co., of Massachusetts; dir. of the
Leslie E. Keeley Co., of England. Cleveland
Democrat. Congregationalist. Clubs: Union
League, Chicago Democratic. Office: Old Colony
Bldg. Residence: 3629 Prairie Av.
164 THE BOOK OF CH1CAGOANS
DE WOLF, Wallace Ijeroy, real estate and until 1886; since 1886, with George Mannierre,
loans; b. Chicago; s. Calvin and Frances engaged as Dibbiee & Mannierre in general
(Kimball) De Wolf; grad. high school, Chi- real estate business; also dir. of the Calumet
cago, and Union College of Law, LL.B. ; m. & Chicago Canal and Dock Co., and pres. and
Germany, 1890, Mary R. Rea. Admitted to dir. of the Chicago Auditorium Assn. Clubs:
practice by Supreme Court of State of Illi- Chicago, Chicago Golf, Saddle and Cycle. Of-
nois; since 1894 engaged in a general real flee: First National Bank Bldg. Residence:
estate, loan, insurance and renting business, 1922 Calumet Av.
with a specialty in manufacturing and ware- DICK, Albert Blake, pres. the A. B. Dick
house property, as senior mem. of W. L. De Co.; b. Bureau Co., 111., Apr. 16, 1856; s. Adam
Wolf & Co. (partners: E. A. White, L. W. and Rebecca (Wible) Dick; removed with par-
Epps and John Gould). Also since 1901 pres. ents to Galesburg, 111., 1863; ed. public schools,
and dir. of the Kellogg Switchboard & Supply Galesburg, until 1872; m. 1st, Jan. 25, 1881,
Co. Republican. Clubs: Union League, Ken- Alice S. Mathews, Galesburg, 111.; 1 daughter:
wood, Midlothian, Onwentsia, Exmoor. Office: Mabel E. ; m. 2d, Geneva, Switzerland, June,
234 LaSalle St. Residence: Chicago Beach 1902, Mary Henrietta Mathews, of Galesburg,
Hotel and Lake Forest, 111. 111.; children: Albert Blake, Charles Mathew.s,
DEXTER, Albert Ferdinand, real estate; b. Edison. Was employed with George W. Brown
Palmer, Mass., Aug. 15, 1848; s. Ferdinand & Co., agricultural implement manufacturers,
and Rosetta (Kendall) Dexter; moved to Fond Galesburg, 111., 1872-9; with the Deere & Man-
du Lac, Wis., 1854; ed. public schools of Madi- sur Co., Moline, 111., in same line, 1879-83, and
son and Univ. of Wisconsin; m. Chicago, 1883, was also a partner In the Moline Lumber Co.;
Helen, daughter of John Forsythe; children: established the lumber firm of A. B. Dick &
Elise, John Forsythe, Bessie Hoard, Dorothy Co., 1883, and incorporated it Apr., 1884, as
D., Albert Kendall, Edwina M. Began business the A. B. Dick Co., of which has ever since
life as traveling salesman for Beloit Reaper been pres., treas. and dir.; in 1887 the lumber
Works, 1869-76; special agent Travelers In- interest was sold and attention has since been
surance Co., of Hartford, Conn., 1876-80; given entirely to mfg. of Thomas A. Edison's
representative of Northwestern Life Insurance mimeographs and supplies. Dir. Royal Trust
Co., of Milwaukee, 1880; one of the organizers, Co. Trustee and treas. Lake Forest Univ.
1888, and became vice-pres. Beldig Motor & Clubs: Chicago, Chicago Athletic, Union
Mfg. Co. until a fire destroyed the plant on League, City, Onwentsia (Chicago) ; also Play-
Jan. 16, 1891, which caused the failure of the ers and City (New York). Office: 163 W. Jack-
company. Soon after that engaged in real son Boul. Residence: Lake Forest, 111.
estate business with much success. Clubs: DICKASON, Livingston T., pres. Westville
Chicago Athletic, Chicago Yacht. Office: 84 Coal Co. Clubs: Upion League, Washington
Adams St. Park, Chicago Athletic, Hamilton, Midlothian.
DE YOUNG, Benjamin Reynolds, real estate; Office: Old Colony Bldg. Residence: 4945 Ellis
b. New York City, Aug. 18, 1843; s. Benjamin Av.
and Emily (Warwick) De Young; family DICKEB, Edward Alfred, lawyer; b. Stough-
moved to Philadelphia, 1844; ed. public schools ton, Norfolk Co., Mass., June 18, 1855; s. Os-
of Philadelphia; learned printing business and mond and Mary A. (Cotton) Dicker; ed. public
worked at it until 1862, when enlisted in the schools, Chicago; m. Chicago, May 3, 1882, Jen-
114th Pa. Vol.; was soon promoted to capt.; nie E. Woodard; children: Nellie Ellery, Wil-
took part in battles at Chancellorsville, Fred- lard Woodard, Alfred Osmond, Edward Hoad-
ericksburg, Gettysburg and many others, and ley. Admitted to bar June, 1878; mem. firm of
served until the close of the war; m. Eliza- Matthews & Dicker, 1882-94, Dicker & Carpen-
beth Farnon, of Philadelphia; 1 daughter: ter, 1895-1901; since then alone; appointed
Sadie (now Mrs. Arthur Wellington Brint- Master in Chancery, Circuit Court of Cook
nail). Came to Chicago after the war; was Co., Dec. 1, 1887, and has held the office con-
appointed q. m., U. S. A., in 1870, and was tinuously ever since. Republican. Universal-
located for a year at Pembina, Dak., but re- ist. Mem. Chicago Bar Assn., Law Club, Law
signed and returned to Chicago; was con- Institute, New England Soc. of Chicago,
nected with various insurance companies, 1871- Clubs: Hamilton, Menoken, Westward Ho. Of-
1879; since 1879 in the real estate business, nee: Tacoma Bldg. Residence: 908 Warren Av.
firm being B. R. De Young & Co.; was se- DICKEBSON, James Spencer, managing ed-
lected by English syndicate of London, Eng., itor The Standard since 1895; b. Brooklyn,
to appraise the properties of breweries and Apr. 9, 1853; s. Rev. James Stokes and Julia
elevators purchased by them in 1888. Was A. (Spencer) Dickerson; ed. public schools
assessor South Town of Chicago, 1886, and 4 and Western Univ. of Pa.; m. Feb. 21, 1882,
times re-elected; now serving 2d term on Fanny R. Richardson. Editorial Staff The
Valuation Committee of Real Estate Board. Standard, 1875-92; managing editor The
Republican. One of organizers, 1877, and caj>t. Graphic, Chicago, 1892-4; writer, Youth's
and maj. 6th Regt., I. N. G. Was mem. of the Companion, managing editor The Baptist Un-
finance committee, World's Columbian Expo- ion, 1894-5. Mem. of numerous Baptist denom-
sition. Mem. of Columbia Post, G. A. R. Club: inational boards; mem. executive board Re-
Union League. Office: 107 Dearborn St. Resi- ligous Education Assn.; dir. Municipal Art
dence: 2975 Prairie Av. League. Pres. Goodman & Dickerson Co. Club:
DIBBLEE, Kenry, real estate; b. New York Union League. Office: 324 Dearborn St. Resi-
City, Aug. 20, 1840; s. E. R. Dlbblee (dry dence, 1116 Michigan Av., Evanston, 111.
goods importer) ; ed. private and boarding DICKINSON, Albert, pres. of the Albert
schools of New York until 18 years old; m. Dickinson Co., seedsmen; b. Stockbridge, Mass.,
Nov. 26, 1873, Laura, daughter of John Field, Oct. 28, 1841; s. Albert F. and Ann Eliza (An-
of Conway, Mass.; children: Bertha, Frances thony) Dickinson; came to Chicago with pa-
F. Began at 18 as clerk in his father's store rents, 1855; ed. public schools and was mem.
and later became partner in the business until of first class to be grad. from Chicago Higli
1872, when came to Chicago; in Jan., 1873, School. After graduation entered office of his
with William R. and John S. Gould estab- father who was engaged in grain and pro-
lished in business as mem. of firm of Gould duce business until Apr., 1861, when enlisted
& Dibbiee until 1878, when firm was dissolved in Taylor's Battery (Co. B, 1st Regt., Chicago
and he continued in business as a dealer in Light Arty.), serving until mustered out,
ornamental iron work and later enlarged the July, 1864, and participating in many battles,
business in the line of mantels and tiles, being including the first fight at Frederickton, Mo.,
an importer of many of the finest English en- engagements at Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth,
caustic tiles and western agent for leading Vicksburg, Mission Ridge, relief of Burnsides
Am. manufacturers; continued the business at Knoxville, and the Atlanta campaign in
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
DICKINSON, Ang-ustus Edwin, pres. the
Ohio Quarries Co.; b. Park Ridge, 111., Mar. 8,
1869; s. Frederick and Emma (Elliott) Dickin-
son; ed. pMblic schools of Chicago; m. West
Superior, Wis., Aug. 10, 1894, Anna Dunn. Was
clerk in Chicago Post Office, 1882-5; salesman
Babcock & Smith Stone Co., 1885-90; supt.
Ashland Brown Stone Co., 1890-8; sales agent
the Bedford Quarries Co., 1898-1902; vice-pres.
the Bedford Quarries Co. since 1902. Pres. the
Ohio Quarries Co. since July 1, 1903; also
vice-pres. the Indiana Quarries Co. and the
Lorain & Southern R. R. Co.; dir. Litchfleld
& Madison R. R. Co. Episcopalian. Clubs: Mid-
Day; also Transportation (New York), Cen-
tury (Cleveland, O.). Office: 204 Dearborn St.
Residence: 4418 Oakenwald Av.
DICKINSON, Charles, seed merchant; b.
Chicago, May 28, 1858; s. Albert F. and Ann
Eliza (Anthony) Dickinson; ed. public school,
Chicago High School. Chicago Med. College,
Harvey Med. College; m. Chicago, Sept. 29,
1897, Marie I. Boyd (widow with 5 children:
William T. Boyd, Margaret F. Boyd, Henry J.
Boyd, Louise M. Boyd, Gordon W. Boyd).
Dickinson family lost all in the great fire of
1871; worked for Charles Gossage & Co., dry
goods, at $1.50 per week for afternoon work,
and attended high school mornings; in 1872
went with brother, Albert Dickinson, who took
father's business; business Incorporated, 1887,
as Albert Dickinson Co., wholesale grass and
field seeds, of which has ever since been vice-
pres. Dir. since 1889, vice-pres. since 1895, of
Chicago Dock Co. Had 2 first phonographs in
Chicago, 1889-90, and has had an interest in
talking machines ever since: now r>res. the
Polyphone Co. Had one of first automobiles,
1896, and used them every year, interested in
manufacture since 1898, as pres. the Chicago
Moto-Cycle Co.; pres. the Chicago Caloric En-
gine Co. Pres. Merchants' Terminal Ry. Co.,
owning railway used In connection with the
Albert Dickinson Co., and the Chicago Dock
Co.; vice-pres. the Twin City Trading Co. of
Minneapolis. Extensive traveler in America,
Europe, Asia and Africa. Independent in poll-
tics. Trustee Chicago Acad. of Science: vice-
pres., dir. and trustee Iroquois Memorial Hosp.
Mem. Chicago Board of Trade, New York Pro-
duce Exchange, Minneapolis Chamber of Com-
merce, Duluth Board of Trade, St. Louis
Chamber of Commerce. Mem. Soc. of Friends
(Quakers). Clubs: Union League, Illinois, Ger-
mania, Chicago Athletic, Menoken. Office: W.
Taylor St. and The Rookery. Residence: 603
DICKINSON, Clarence, musician; b. Lafay-
ette, Ind., May 7, 1873; s. Rev. William C.
(D.D.) and Annis (Dougherty) Dickinson; ed.
Northwestern Univ., 1890-4; musical education
under Wild & Weidig (Chicago), Singer and
Dr. H. Reimann (Berlin). Guilmant, Vlerne,
Moszkowski (Paris); m. June 15, 1904, Helen
Aden S. Snyder, Carlton Place, Ont., Can. Was
organist and choirmaster St. James Episcopal
Church, organist Kehilath Anshe Mayraabh
Synagogue; dir. Organ Dept. Bush Temple
Conservatory; dir. Theoretical Dept. Columbia
School of Music. Produced comic opera, The
Medicine Man, Chicago, 1895, Boston, 1900.
became asst. cashier; resigned 1904 and
formed the firm of Edward Dickinson & Co
dealers in commercial paper. Pres La Grange
(HI.) State Bank since 1899; treas board of
Lincoln Park Commissioners, 1901 Clubs-
Bankers', Union League, Mid-Day, Marquette'
Evanston Golf, Hamilton. Office: 202 LaSalle
St. Residence: 26 Junior Terrace.
DICKINSON, Henry Clarence, mgr for D H
Baldwin & Co., pianos; b. Troy, O., June 8
1865; s. Philemon and Olivia (LeFevre) Dick-
inson; ed. public schools of Richmond and In-
dianapolis, Ind. ; m. Indianapolis, Ind , Apr 17
1889, Clara Bruce; children: Laura Emma,
Mary Bruce. Began business with D H Bald-
win & Co., Indianapolis, Ind., as clerk, in 1884-
came to Chicago in 1892, as sec. and treas.
of the Hamilton Organ Co. (controlled by the
Baldwin Co.), and still continues in that posi-
tion; also sec. and treas. of the Hamilton Pi-
an o Co., also a corporation subsidiary to the
Baldwin Co. In 1898 opened piano business of
the D. H. Baldwin Co. in Chicago, controlling
the company's trade in the Northwest, and
still continues as Illinois mgr. and dir. for
that company. Republican. Mason. Club: Chi-
cago Athletic. Office: 267 Wabash Av. Resi-
dence: 6941 Yale Av.
DICKINSON, Jacob McGavock, lawyer; b.
Columbus, Miss., Jan. 30, 1851; s. Henry and
Anna (McGavock) Dickinson; grad. Univ. of
Nashville, 1871, A.M., 1872; studied law at Go-
lumbia College, New York, Univ. of Leipzig,
and in Paris; m. 1876, Martha Overton, Nash-
ville, Tenn.; children: J. O., Henry, J. M., Jr.
Admitted to bar, 1874; served several times
by special commission on Supreme bench of
Tennessee; asst. atty.-gen. U. S., 1895-7. Demo-
crat. Now general counsel I. C. Ry. Co. Clubs:
Chicago, Onwentsia, Office: 1 Park Row. Resi-
dence: 389 Erie St.
DICKINSON, Nathan, treas. Albert Dickin-
son Co.; b. Curtisville. Mass., Feb. 6, 1848; s.
Albert F. and Ann Eliza (Anthony) Dickin-
son; came to Chicago with parents in 1855;
ed. public schools of Chicago, graduating from
Dearborn School, 1865: m. Lake Geneva. Wis.,
July, 1889, Louise H. Boyd; children: Ruth B.,
Albert B. After leaving school in 1865, became
connected with his father, dealer in erain,
produce and seeds. The fire of 1871 wiped out
the assets of the firm but he united with
brother in shouldering the losses and build-
ing up the business, which, since 1874, has
been confined to grass and field seeds: busi-
ness incorporated, 1888, as the Albert Dickin-
son Co., of which he is treas. Dir. of Chicago
Dock Co. Club: Union League. Office: W. Tay-
lor St. and the River. Residence: 307 N. Clark
DICKINSON, William, retired grain mer-
chant; b. Hinsdale, N. H., Mar. 31. 1837; s.
Erastus and Sophia (Sargent) Dickinson; ed.
Hinsdale (N. H.) public school until 16 years
of age. followed by 2 years at acad., Spring-
field, Vt., and 1 year, 1855-6, of technical study
at Amherst College, Mass.; m. Chicago, Nov.
10, 1874, Eliza Reynolds (now deceased); chil-
dren: William Reynolds, Francis Reynolds. In
1861 entered employ of Hugh McLennan in
grain business in Chicago, becoming partner,
1867, in Hugh McLennan & Co., doing grain
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
exporting business, which continued until 1886;
in grain business, alone, 1886, until 1898, then
retired. Was dir. Fifth Nat. Bank, and vice-
pres. and dir. of the Nat. Bank of America
and America Nat. Bank, all of Chicago; dir.