launched the Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co., of
which has ever since been pres. Organized
and was dir. Taite-Howard Pneumatic Tool
Co., of London, Eng., in 1898, to exploit prod-
uct of the Chicago company, under its for-
eign patents. In 1899 organized New York
Air Compressor Co., with works at Arlington,
N. J., serving as nres. and dir., and in 1900
merged it with Franklin Air Compressor Co.,
which erected a modern factory at Franklin,
Pa., of which became vice-pres. and dir. In
1901 merged the Franklin Air Compressor Co.,
Franklin, Pa., Chisholm & Moore Mfg. Co.,
Cleveland, O., and the Boyer Machine Co., De-
troit. Mich., with the Chicago Pneumatic Tool
Co. In 1902 absorbed the Standard Pneumatic
Tool Co., with works at Aurora, 111., and con-
solidated the Taite-Howard Pneumatic Tool
Co. with the International Pneumatic Tool Co.
of London, Eng., into the Consolidated Pneu-
matic Tool Co., with offices at London and
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
works at Fraserburgh, Scotland. In 1905 ab-
sorbed the Philadelphia Pneumatic Tool Co.,
with works at Philadelphia, Pa., making it part
of the Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co. Since the
first amalgamation of interest with the Chica-
go company has been a mem. of the executive
board and a dir. Decorated with cross of Le-
gion of Honor by Pres. of France in 1900, in
recognition of services in introducing pneu-
matic tools into general and practical use.
Pres. of the Coy Printing Press Co., Chicago,
111.; Duntley & Odell Oil Co., and Duntley-
Odell-Duntley Oil Co., Coffeyville, Kan.; also
pres. of the Libertad Mining and Smelting
Co., with mines at San Antonio de la Huerta,
Sonora, Mex. Clubs: Union League, Washing-
ton Park, Chicago Automobile, Chicago Ath-
letic, Illinois Athletic (Chicago) ; Manhattan
and Lawyers (New York City); also Art Club
of Philadelphia and Athletic of St. Louis. Of-
fice: 279 Dearborn St. Residence: 583 45th PI.
DUNTLEY, William Obed, vice-pres. and
gen. mgr. Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co.; b.
Wyandotte, Mich., July 21, 1867; s. J. F. and
B. C. Duntley; ed. high school, Detroit, Mich.;
m. Chicago, 1898, Lizzie Arnold. Began busi-
ness life in an electrical establishment at
Detroit, Mich., 1884; came to Chicago, 1887,
and was engaged in electrical work with
Baggot & Co., 1887-95; traveling salesman
for Chicago Pneumatic Tool Co., 1895-9; in
1899 was elected vice-pres., and in 1902 vice-
pres., dir. and gen. mgr. of same company.
Mason (32). Clubs: Union League, Washing-
ton Park, Colonial, Automobile. Office: 279
Dearborn St. Residence: 688 48th PI.
DUN"WEIjIi. William Cliauncey, merchant-
engraver; b. Hartland, O., Apr. 28, 1848; lived
at "Rockford. 111., 1855-66; s. William C. and
Mary Ann (Fitch) Dun well; ed. public schools
of Rockford, 111.; m. Chicago, Aug. 22, 1892,
Harriet P. Peck; 1 daughter from previous
marriage: Minnie M. Served in Union Army
in the llth Cav., 111. Vols.. from Feb. to Oct.,
1865. Came to Chicago, Dec., 1866, learned en-
graving trade and in 1871 engaged in business;
since 1S76, partner in firm of Dunwell & Ford,
society stationers and engravers. Also pres.
Phoenix Engraving Co. Republican. Mem. Geo.
H. Thomas Post, No. 5, G. A. R. Club: Ash-
land. Office: 171 Wabash and 150 Michigan
Avs. Residence: 720 W. Monroe St.
DUPEE. Cyrus, commission merchant; b.
Boston, Mass., June 27, 1827; s. Cyrus and
Elizabeth Odell (English) Dupee; ed. academic
schools of Brighton, Mass., and after his
father's death, when he was 14 years old, at-
tended Boston night schools; m. Boston, June
22, 1854, Mary E., daughter of John and Mary
E. (Copeland) Worcester. Began mercantile
life in Boston, and in 1854 joined Mr. John
Worcester in establishing the provision firm
of Worcester & Dupee, in which remained
until 1869, when came to Chicago, continuing
in the provision business, and in 1871 became
a mem. of the Board of Trade; still retains
his membership in the Board, but for a few
years past has devoted his attention to look-
ing after his private interests and invest-
ments. Residence: 2539 Indiana Av.
DUFEE, Horace Moore, retired; b. Brighton,
Mass., Dec. 13, 1831; s. Cyrus and Elizabeth
Odell (English) Dupee; ed. Boston grammar
schools; m. 1st, Cornelia Church (died, 1872);
1 son: Leroy C.; m. 2d, Oak Park, 111., Oct. 1.
1874, Elizabeth Robinson Buchanan; children:
Cherrie Mabel, William Harold, Margaret
Buchanan, Horace Fawcett. Father died when
he was 10 years old and he was compelled to
leave school at an early age; in 1848, entered
employ of Carter & Treadwell, wholesale
clothing dealers, Boston, remaining nearly 5
years; worked for Edward A. Locke & Co.
until 1854, when came to Chicago and joined
his brother, Charles, in the provision trade
for about 7 years; then formed a partnership
with Asa Worcester, under style of H. M.
Dupee & Co., conducting a provision business
until 1871; burned out. After fire established
provision business for self, and in 1S92 prac-
tically retired from active participation in
the business; since then devoting attention
principally to the care of his own real estate
interests. Mem. Chicago Board of Trade since
1871. Clubs: Chicago, Washington Park, Ken-
wood. Office: 108 Dearborn St. Residence: 4824
DUPEE, John; b. Bangor, Me.; s. John and
Eleanor Winslow (Pratt) Dupee; grad. Park
Latin High School, Boston; m. Evelyn M.
Walker at Chicago; children: Eleanor W.,
Walter H. (both born in Chicago). Was em-
ployed, after leaving school, in wholesale
grocery business in Boston up to time of com-
ing to Chicago. In 1883 formed a co-partner-
ship with Charles Schwartz under firm name
of Schwartz, Dupee & Co., as grain and stock
brokers; was senior mem. of firm after death
of Mr. Schwartz in 1893, until dissolution of
the firm Jan. 1, 1901. Was a mem. of New
York Stock Exchange, Chicago Stock Ex-
change, Chicago Board of Trade. Has for 15
years had a summer home at Oconomowoc,
Wis. Since the dissolution of the firm of
Schwartz, Dupee & Co., his time has been de-
voted to attention to his private affairs.
Clubs: Chicago, Chicago Athletic, Washing-
ton Park (of which he was one of the organ-
izers and for many years a dir.); also New
York Yacht Club (New York). Office: The
Rookery. Residence: Auditorium Annex.
DUFUY, George Alexander, lawyer, jurist;
b. of French Huguenot stock, near Mascoutah,
St. Clair Co., 111., Mar. 4, 1858; s. William Mc-
Kendree and Elizabeth (Ford) Dupuy; resided
in St. Clair and Washington counties until
1865; afterward in Montgomery Co., 111., until
1875; then lived for a time in Kaufman Co.,
Tex.; ed. common schools of Illinois, and en-
tered Illinois Wesleyan Univ. in autumn of
1875; later taught school and studied law,
both in Illinois, and In Texas; admitted to
Texas bar, 1880; Illinois bar, 1881; came to
Chicago, Sept., 1881, entered senior class in
Union College of Law, graduating, 1882; m.
July 19, 1883, to a college classmate of Illinois
Wesleyan Univ., Mary Lenore, daughter of
Rev. John F. and Mary E. (Wight) Van Pelt,
of Normal, 111.; children: Helen Agnes, Marga-
ret, Genevieve Elsie, Mary Elizabeth. Entered
upon practice of law in Chicago, 1882; served
4 years as asst. corporation counsel of the
City of Chicago; became law partner of Judge
Elbert H. Gary; later was mem. of law firm
of Rubens, Dupuy & Fischer until elected
judge of the Superior Court of Cook Co. for
term expiring 1910. Republican. Clubs: Union
League, Marquette, Congregational, Ravens-
wood. Office: Court House. Residence: 2625
N. Paulina St.
DUHAND, Arthur Franklin, patent lawyer;
b. St. Joseph, Mich., Aug. 14, 1871; s. George
Franklin and Alice (Donaldson) Durand; ed.
public schools and in law dept. of Lake Forest
Univ., graduating as LL.B., 1899; m. Chicago,
Aug. 5, 1902, Edna Amelia Morehouse. Ad-
mitted to bar of Illinois, 1899, and engaged
in practice alone, making a specialty of patent
law and patent soliciting, until 1902, when
was joined by C. C. Bulkley in forming the
present firm of Bulkley & Durand. Mem.
Patent Bar Assn. Mem. University Club, of
Washington, D. C. ; mem. of the legal frater-
nity of Phi Delta Phi. Office: Monadnock Blk.
Residence: 5103 Kimbark Av.
DURAND, Calvin, pres. Durand & Kasper
Co., wholesale grocers; dir. Nat. Bank of North
America, State Bank of Chicago, Lake Forest
Water Co. Clubs: Union League, Onwentsia.
Office: 22 N. Union St. Residence: Lake Forest.
DURAND, Elliott, vice-pres. Heath & Milli-
gan Mfg. Co.; b. Colchester, Chittenden Co.,
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
Vt., Jan. 10, 1847; s. Moses and Charlotte
Hamilton (Bartlett) Durand; parents died in
his infancy; was brought up by an uncle, A.
W. Bartlett, an Illinois farmer; ed. public
schools and a short time in Aurora (111.) High
School, and in a business college; ran away
fro'm the farm in early part of 1864, to enlist
in Union Army, serving as drummer boy and
private in 132d and later in 156th Regts., 111.
Vol. Infy., until Sept. 8, 1865, when returned
to school; m. Chicago, June 10, 1880, Helen,
daughter of ex-Mayor Monroe Heath, of Chi-
cago; children: Myrtle, Elliott, Eugene,
Clerked in grocery and crockery store and
later learned printer's trade in office of Aurora
(111.) Herald; came to Chicago, 1869, and
worked as compositor, proofreader and re-
porter on the Chicago Times and Chicago Tri-
bune until forming a connection with the
Heath & Milligan Manufacturing Co., manu-
facturers of paints and colors, in which he
advanced to vice-pres. Also pres. Cas-cajal
Plantation Co., vice-pres. Trinidad River Agri-
cultural Co.; treas. Marlboro Portland Cement
Co. ; dir. Two Republics Development Co. Was
charter Mem. 1st Regt. Infy., I. N. G., and
after 5 years as non-commissioned officer
served as capt., maj. and lieut. col., and was
commissioned by Gov. Tanner col. of Durand's
Provisional Cav. in the Spanish-American
War. Republican. Mason. Clubs: Chicago Ath-
letic (life mem.), Chicago Yacht, Washington
Park, Kenwood, Midlothian, Press, American
(Mexico). Office: 172 Randolph St. Residence:
5712 Rosalie Ct.
DTTBAND, Henry Calvin, wholesale grocer;
b. Chicago, Apr. 23, 1869; s. Calvin and Sarah
Gould (Downs) Durand; grad. Lake Forest
Acad., 1885; Amherst College, 1890; m. Lake
Forest, 111., June 20, 1895, Mary Alice Platt.
On leaving college in 1890, entered the whole-
sale grocery house of Durand & Kasper Co.
Established 1856), with which has ever since
continued, now being 2d vice-pres. and a dir.
of the company. Also a dir. of the State Bank
of Lake Forest, 111. Presbyterian. Clubs: Union
League, Chicago, Onwentsia, Lake Forest
Winter Office: Lake and Union Sts. Residence:
Lake Forest, 111.
DTTBAND, Joseph Barnes, retired merchant;
b Clintonville, N. Y., May, 1838; s. Calvin and
Lois (Barnes) Durand; ed. public school and
at Keeseville (N. Y.) Acad.; m. Beaver Dam,
Wis., 1866, Florence Sloan; children: Lois,
Scott S., Kathryn, Florence, Charles E.; m.
2d, Gardiner, Me., 1903, May L. Burt. Lived
at Clintonville, N. Y., until 1857; came to Chi-
cago, 1857, but in 1858 went to Milwaukee and
remained there until 1878, in wholesale
grocery firm of J. B. Durand & Co.; returned
to Chicago, 1878, and continued under same
firm name, in wholesale grocery and sugar
business until 1903, when he retired from
business. Republican. Mayor of Lake Forest,
111 Residence: Lake Forest, 111.
DUBAND, Scott Sloane, sugars, rice and
coffee; b. Milwaukee, Wis., May 29, 1869; a.
Joseph B. and Florence (Sloane) Durand;
preparatory education at Lake Forest Acad.
to 1885; grad. Williams College, 1890; m. Bur-
Univ. of Indiana, graduating. 1877; came west
when 4 years old with parents, who located at
Williamsport, Ind. Lived in Indianapolis 2
years; resident of Chicago since 1879; became
active in politics. Was mem. of Congress 2
terms from the 3d Congressional District cf
Illinois, 1891-5; while mem. of Congress was
chairman of Committee on World's Columbian
Exposition, and had charge of all legislation
affecting the Exposition. Candidate for Con-
gress, 6th Congressional District of Illinois,
1903, receiving 15,555 votes against 16,540 cast
for William Lorimer, Republican. Democrat.
Mem. of various Masonic bodies. Clubs: Illi-
nois, Chicago Athletic. Office: Tacoma Bldg.
Residence: 543 W. Adams St.
DUX, Joseph, architectural sculptor; b.
Philadelphia, Pa., Oct. 9, 1856; s. Charles and
Katherine (Houseman) Dux; ed. New York
public schools, 1863-74, and Cooper Institute,
1871-4; m. Philadelphia, Pa., Feb. 22, 1880,
Mathilde Best; children: Ethel H., Arline C.,
Waldo J. Was with Marcotte & Co., of New
York and Paris, mural decorators, as appren-
tice, 1873-7; came to Chicago, 1877, and worked
for various architects until 1881, when estab-
lished for himself as architectural sculptor,
doing all kinds of architectural work in stone
sculpture, modeling and wood carving. Repub-
lican; mem. 20th Ward Republican Club. Mem.
Royal Arcanum. Club: Metropolitan. Office:
132 W. Jackson Boul. Residence: 4 Campbell
D WIGHT, Austin H., pres. Dwlght Bros.
Paper Co.; b. Martin, Allegan Co., Mich., Jan.
19, 1855; s. Corydon G. and Sarah E. (North-
rop) Dwight; ed. public schools of Allegan Co.,
Mich.; m. Plainwell, Mich., 1875, Frankie S.
Alcott. Began experience in the paper trade at
Yorkville, 111., in 1877, later traveled for
several years for the Mead Paper Co., of Day-
ton, O. ; came to Chicago in 1892, and was con-
nected with other houses until Apr., 1895,
when organized the Dwight Bros. Paper Co.,
of which has since been at the head as pres.
Republican. Royal Arch Mason. Club: Chicago
Athletic. Office: 61 Plymouth Ct. Residence:
6416 Kimbark Av.
DWIGHT, John Henry, banker; b. Jackson,
Mich., Apr. 7, 1835; s. John N. Dwight (of
Thompson, Conn.) and Elizabeth F. (Bartow)
Dwight (of New Rochelle, N. Y.); ed. com-
mon schools and academies in Michigan and
commercial college in Detroit; m. June 1, 1871,
Frances D. Metcalf, of Erie, Pa.; children:
Mary (now wife of T. W. Harvey, Jr.), Flor-
ence R., Francis Bartow. Came to Chicago,
Jan. 2, 1856; entered Chicago Bank of I. H.
Burch; in 1858 joined Board of Trade, and
became a mem. of the grain commission firm
of D. L. Quirk & Co., afterward changing,
successively, to Dow, Quirk & Co., Cooley &
Dwight, Dwight & Gillette and Linn & Dwight;
retired from business on Board of Trade in
1898. Was pres. of the Board of Trade, 1880,
and had previously served as vice-pres., 2d
vice-pres. and a dir. 6 years; also on board
of arbitration and on committee of appeal.
Now vice-pres. of the State Bank of Chicago,
and dir. o Corn Exchange Nat Bank. Repub-
continuing the business as S. S. Durand & Allegan Co., Mich., came to Chicago from
Co. Also pres. Durand-Childs Co., importers Michigan in 18 .91 and in
aficnsla ssjrssr- o-
Rlver st - Resl - e
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
Univ Dir State Bank of Evanston; vice-pres.
Illinois State Board of Pharmacy; trustee
Northwestern Univ.; associate mem. Chicago
Real Estate Board; mem. Phi Beta Kappa
fraternity. Clubs: University, Evanston.
Evanston Country. Office: 87 Lake St. Resi-
dence: 1882 Sheridan Rd., Evanston.
DYEB, Robert Malcolm, manufacturing and
mechanical engineer; b. Maquoketa, la., Dec.
12, 1867; s. Hugh and Rebecca (Taggert)
Dyer; early education at Belmont School, near
Davenport, la.; prepared for college under
private teachers; entered Iowa State College,
Ames, la., 1887, graduating as B.M.E., Nov.
20, 1891; m. Woodbine, la., May 20, 1894, Mary
yeisley; children: James Eugene, Robert Law-
ton. Was school teacher beginning 1886, while
preparing for college and during college vaca-
tions until 1891; since Apr. 16, 1892, with Aer-
motor Co., successively as mechanical
draftsman, mgr. branch at Sioux City, la.,
1894-5; asst. supt. of factory, 1895-6; supt.,
1896-9; gen. supt., Jan. 1, 1899, to Jan. 1, 1905;
also chief engineer, Jan. 1, 1902, to Jan. 1,
1905. Specialist in manufacturing processes
connected with the Aermotor and on subjects
of irrigation and country, suburban and village
water supply systems. Republican. Liberal
Presbyterian. Mem. Delta Tau Delta Fraternity,
Am. Soc. of Mechanical Engineers. Club:
Union League. Office: Puget Sound Bridge and
Dredging Co., Seattle, Wash.
DYKES, John Lucian G-rigiby, manufac-
turer; b. on farm in Clay Co., Mo., Jan. 24,
1869; s. William S. and Mary Maria (Porter)
Dykes; ed. public schools of Plattsburg, Cam-
eron and Kearney, Mo., and a country school
in DeKalb Co., Mo.; m. Chicago, June 24, 1901,
Evelyn Ewing Corns. In 1884 worked in gen-
eral store after school and during vacation
time at Cameron, Mo.; in 1889 worked in dry
poods store in Carthage, Mo.; in 1890, worked
in shoe store in St. Joseph, Mo.; worked in
shoe store in Chicago, 1892; returned to St.
Joseph, 1893, remaining 1 year; saved a little
money; invented the rubber shoe sole; in 1894
returned to Chicago; began sale of same under
name of John L. G. Dykes Co., Incorporated;
the business venture was successful and has
been manufacturing ever since. In 1901 be-
came pres. Chicago Tire and Rubber Co., en-
gaged in ereneral rubber manufacturing busi-
ness, with a specialty in mechanical moulded
goods. Democrat. Mem. Christian Church.
While in St. Joseph was mem. of the Wickham
Rifles, 1898. Office: 329-31 W. Kinzie St. Resi-
dence: 1442 Addison Av.
DYRENFORTH, Arthur, lawyer; b. Chicago,
Sept. 25, 1872; s. Philip C. Dyrenforth; ed.
Chicago public schools, Univ. School, Chicago,
Harvard Univ., graduating in class of 1896,
B.A., followed by graduate study in Univs. of
Berlin, Ger., and Oxford, Eng. ; also Sorbonne,
Paris; grad. Chicago-Kent Law School, Chi-
r-ago, LL.B., 1899. Began practice in father's
office in 1899, and later with the firm of Gur-
ley, Stone & Wood. Republican. Club: Exmoor.
Office: Marquette Bldg. Residence: 425 La-
DYRENPOBTH, Douglas, patent lawyer; b.
Waukegan, 111., 1861; s. Julius and Caroline
(Thomas) Dyrenforth; ed. Carlsruhe, Ger.,
and at his father's Dyrenforth's Institute; m.
Chicago, 1888, Louise Best. At 15 entered a law
office, where remained 2 years; then held 2 or
3 situations as clerk and bookkeeper, and
finally entered the Union College of Law, from
which was graduated in 1883. Took charge of
the Washington office of his brothers' firm ff
Dyrenforth & Dyrenforth; returned to Chica-
go, 1891, and became a mem. of the firm, and
is now of the succeeding firm of Dyrenforth,
Dyrenforth & Lee. Office: Monadnock Blk.
Residence: Evanston, 111.
DYRENFOHTH, Julius Wilson, patent law-
yer; b. Waukegan, 111., Dec. 17, 1858; s. Julius
and Caroline (Thomson) Dyrenforth; ed.
Carlsruhe, Ger., and at his father's (Dyren-
forth's) academy, Chicago; grad. Union Col-
lege of Law, LL.B., 1887; m. Chicago, May 31,
1890, Clara L. Manning. After leaving school
was first a bookkeeper and then engaged in
mining in Colorado, but eventually took up the
study of law; was admitted to Illinois bar,
1887; now a mem. of the firm of Dyrenforth,
Dyrenforth & Lee. Clubs: Chicago Athletic,
Waupansen. Office: Monadnock Blk. Residence:
3821 Lake Av.
DYRENPORTH, Philip Charles, patent law-
yer; b. Chicago, 1848; s. Julius and Caroline
(Thomson) Dyrenforth; ed. in Dyrenforth's In-
stitute (conducted by his father) and was
afterward a teacher there; spent the year
1876 in the patent office at Washington to
prepare himself for his profession; returned
to Chicago and established as a solicitor of
patents while student in Union College of
Law; grad., 1879. After a few years' general
practice became exclusively a patent lawyer;
joined by his brother, William H., in 1882; by
Julius W., another brother, in 1890, and by
youngest brother, Douglas, in 1891; John H.
Lee later became a partner in the firm, which
is now known as Dyrenforth, Dyrenforth &
Lee. Mem. Chicago Bar Assn., Patent Bar
Assn. (was pres., 1893-4). Club: Edgewater
Golf. Office: Monadnock Blk. Residence: 425
DYRENFORTH, William H., patent lawyer;
b. Waukegan, 111., 1855; s. Julius and Caroline
(Thomson) Dyrenforth; ed. Carlsruhe, Ger.,
and at his father's (Dyrenforth) institute, in
Chicago, in which he was later one of the
teachers; grad. Union College of Law, 1882;
m. Chicago, 1885, Dora Ketcham; children:
Ernest, Donald, Dorothy, Lucien Young. Be-
gan practice in partnership with brother,
Philip C., firm becoming Dyrenforth & Dyren-
forth; now Dyrenforth, Dyrenforth & Lee.
Was one of the founders and pres. of the
Personal Rights League. Was lecturer on
patent law in Kent Law School, Chicago. Pres.
Flora Burner and Lamp Co. and the Fortin-
molite Metal Co. Office: Monadnock Blk. Resi-
dence: Evanston, 111.
BADS, Benjamin Brindley, physician; b.
Paris, Ky., Jan. 23, 1870; s. Darwin D. and
Anna (Adair) Eads; ed. private schools in
Paris, Ky., Carthage Collegiate Institute,
Carthage, Mo., Jefferson Med. College, Phila-
delphia, Pa., M.D., 1891; m. Mauch Chunk, Pa.,
1898, Elizabeth Stedman. Was resident sur-
geon Jefferson Hosp., Philadelphia, 1891-2;
came io Chicago, 1892. Was instructor of anat-
omy and physiology Rush Med. College, 1893-
1894; prof, of anatomy. Illinois Med. College,
1894-7; prof, of applied anatomy, operative
and orthopedic surgery, Illinois Med. College,
1897-9; prof, of surgery and clinical surgery
and dean Illinois Med. College, since 1899. Sur-
geon to Illinois Hosp. and Free Dispensary.
Surgeon Cook Co. Hosp., appointed Jan., 1905.
Mem. Am. Med. Assn., Chicago Med. Soc., Illi-
nois State Med. Soc. Mason: Union Park
Lodge, York Chapter; mem. St. Bernard Com-
mandery, K. T., and of Medinah Temple, Mys-
tic Shrine. Club: Illinois. Office: 103 State "St.
Residence: 683 Washington Boul.
EAQAN, William Howard, pres. Jackson
Trust & Savings Bank; b. Mahone Bay, N. S.,
July 4, 1865; s. S. L. and Margaret A. (Spear-
water) Eagan; ed. public schools of Spring-
field, Mass., and Hutchinson, Kan.; m. Hutch-
inson, Kan., 1896, Alberta Stedman. Began
business career with the First Nat. Bank of
Hutchinson, Kan., as a messenger, in 1884,
and worked up to the position of cashier;
came to Chicago, 1903, and organized the
Jackson Trust & Savings Bank, of which he
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS 179
I s pr Re P 1 ubll T can - Protestant. Club: Hamil- consecutively 5 years telegraph operator 5
oaeo *rt Wnt^ kSOn B Ul ' Residence: Chi- years train dispatcher, 4 yflrs asst supt , 2
^iMnv*fi years division supt 4 years asst gen mer -
^^^^"jrasg^ott^'kA S; J^ice-p-S^d ?&?&
Clarissa (Lathrop) Eager; ed. public schools ceeded Roswell Miller as pr^sSept S
and at New Haven (Conn.) High School and Dir. Central Trust Co. of Illinois Continental
Gen. Russell's Military Acad., preparing for Nat. Bank, St. Paul Coal Co Standard Office
Yale, but was prevented by ill-health from Co. Office: Railway Exchange Bldg Residence!
taking a college course and decided on a musi- 514 N. State St
cal career; studied at the Royal Conservatory EARLY, Patrick Henry, pres Early's Mer-
of Music at Leipzig, where for 4 years was cantile Agency; b. Northumberland N H
under instruction in piano, of Prof. Dr. Carl Feb. 1, 1852; s. Michael and Elizabeth (Cor-
Reinecke and Bruno Zwintcher, and in theory mack) Early; ed. public school at Wells River
under Dr. Jadassohn and Gustav Schreck, and Vt.; m. Blairstown. la., Jan 11 1873 Maria
received the Helbig prize for excellence. Kirby; children: John Edward, JerreF Paul
Upon return to America taught for a year A., Olive L., William A. (deceased) Entered
at Steinway Hall, New York, and was pianist railway service with the C & N -W Rv Co
of the Mozart Club of New York, playing in in 1867 as telegraph operator and ' later as
many concerts; came to Chicago, 1892, in station agent, until Nov 1, 1882- appointed
order to take charge of the music dept. of general agent W., I. & N. Ry at Marshall-
Lake Forest Univ. in Ferry Hall Seminary, town, la., Nov. 1, 1882; left railway service in
Lake Forest, JJL, ; also instructs private pupils Sept., 1886; since then in mercantile agency
in Chicago. Office: 203 Michigan Av. Resi- business, and now pres. of Early's Mercantile
dence: Lake Forest. Agency. Republican. R. C. Office: 100 Wash-
EAQLE, William Henry, wholesale broker ington St. Residence: 2200 Kenmore Av
and commission merchant; b. Detroit, Mich, EASTMAN, Albert Nathen, lawyer- b
Feb. 29, 1860; s. Joseph A. and Margaret Kingsville, O, Oct. 17, 1864; s. Henry A* and