GOODWILIiIE, Malilon Perley, box and lum-
ber manufacturer; b. Chicago, Aug. 26, 1880; s.
Douglas M. and Winnifred M. (Doyle) Good-
willie; entered Marquette School in lower
grades, grad. from it and from West Division
High School; went to Yale College for 3 years;
m. Chicago, Jan. 21, 1902, Genevieve M. Foley;
1 son: Walter M. Began business career in the
office of his father; learned office end of the
business, then spent 2 years in the factory,
learning the practical details; in 1900 elected a
dir. and vice-pres. of the D. M. Goodwillie Co.,
manufacturers of packing and bottle boxes,
and are dealers in box shocks and lumber. Re-
publican. R. C. Clubs: Sheridan, Illinois. Office:
22d St. and Center Av. Residence: 569 E. 45th
GOODWIN, Augustus Hawley, merchant; b.
Waterville, N. Y., July 15, 1843; s. Daniel B.
and Catherine (Bacon) Goodwin; ed. Water-
ville public schools; m. Norwich, N. Y., May
20, 1875, Nellie Beebe. Began business career
in the cotton business in New York City, in
which he continued until 1887, when he went
to Minneapolis, Minn., engaging in the seed
business thera until 1895; since then in Chi-
cago, establishing, 1896, the Goodwin-Harries
Co., wholesale seed merchants and growers
and importers, of which he is pres. Repub-
lican. Office: 115 Kinzie St. Residence: Vir-
GOODWIN, Leonard, lawyer; b. Aurora, 111.,
Aug. 25, 1859; s. Jeremiah and Mary D. (Sedg-
wick) Goodwin; ed. public school at Aurora,
111.; studied law after leaving high school and
began practice at Creston, la., 1881; removed
to San Diego, Calif.; took active part in poli-
tics; removed to Gothenburg, Neb., in 1893,
and to Chicago in 1894; since then in general
practice here. Republican; chairman political
action committee of Marquette Club, 1900 and
1901; Republican speaker in several national
campaigns. Clubs: Marquette, Hamilton. Of-
fice: 59 Clark St. Residence: 44 Alta Vista
GORDON, Arthur Horace, phvsician; b. Ca-
lais, Me., Oct. 23, 1863; s. David and Mary
(Brooks) Gordon; ed. Calais public schools.
followed by 4-years' classical and scientific
course in Calais Acad., to 1880; read medicine
in offices of H. B. Mason and C. B. Swan, of
Calais, Me.; then entered Hahnemann Med.
College, under the preceptorship of Dr. W. S.
Harvey, Chicago, graduating, M.D., 1887; m.
Chicago, Dec. 30, 1891, Julia Agnes Cava-
naugh; 1 daughter: Julia. Engaged in prac-
tice of medicine in Chicago since 1887. Prof.
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
of physical diagnosis. Hahnemann Med. Col-
lege. Great Med. Examiner, Knights of the
Maccabees, and mem. executive board; also
mem. and med. examiner, Sons of St. George,
and Heptasophs. Mem. Am. Institute of Hom-
ceopathy, Illinois Horace. Med. Assn., Chicago
Horace. Med. Soc., Clinical Soc. of Hahnemann
Hosp. Mason (Lincoln Park Lodge), Oriental
Consistory (32), and Mystic Shrine. Treas.
Modern Needle Co. Office and residence: 268
GORDON, Charles Ulysses, real estate; b.
near Dunlap, Peoria Co., 111., Apr. 3, 1865; s.
Andrew Jackson and Eliza Jane (Stokes) Gor-
don; ed. public and high schools and Parish
Business College, Peoria, 111.; read law with
Senator A. J. Bell, Peoria; came to Chicago,
Dec., 1SS1, and completed studies at Bryant &
Strattcn Business College; m. June 23, 1898,
Gertrude Wilson, daughter of Alexander Pate,
banker of Wellington, 111. Engaged in real
estate business, 1885, in firm of C. U. Gordon
& Co.; in 1896 discontinued general real es-
tate business to devote his time to his own
property interests. Was long time mem. 1st
Regt. I. N. G., and now honorary mem. Co. E;
postmaster Chicago, 1897-1901. Republican.
Mem. Chicago Real Estate Board, Art Insti-
tute, Civic Federation; one of originators of
State League of Republican Clubs and Illinois
mem. Nat. Executive Committee Nat. Repub-
lican League Clubs, 1892. Clubs: Marquette
(one of organizers, 1st sec., and pres., 1894),
Union League, Hamilton. Office: Marquette
Bldg. Residence: 2221 Clarendon Av.
GORHAM, Sidney Smith, lawyer; b. Rut-
land Co., Vt., Nov. 6, 1874; s. Frank E. and
Mary J. (Smith) Gorham; ed. common schools,
Rutland, Vt., and Chicago College of Law,
graduating, LL.B., 1894; m. Chicago, July 15,
1896, Myrtle G. Willett. Admitted to bar
Nov. 6, 1895, having been previously asso-
ciated as an employe (student and clerk)
with Luther Laflin Mills from 1890; after-
ward became partner with Mr. Mills and
his son Matthew under firm name of Mills,
Gorham & Mills, engaged in general law
practice. Sec. and dir. the Henry Water Co.
Republican. Clubs: Chicago Automobile (sec.),
LaGrange Country, Hinsdale Golf. Office: New
York Life Bldg. Residence: LaGrange, 111.
GOEMXEY, James Henry, pres. Bullard &
Gormley Co.; b. Glencoe, Cook Co., 111., June
18, 1856; s. Michael and Ellen (Hartray)
Gormley; ed. public schools of Chicago; m.
1886, Anna C. Budd; children: Belle B., Arthur
S. Since 1873, has been continuously engaged
in hardware business, first with J. L. Wayne
& Son, 1873-7; with Kellogg, Johnson & Bliss,
1877-83; joined Charles W. Bullard, 1883, es-
tablishing firm of Bullard & Gormley, succes-
sors to Kellogg, Johnson & Bliss, now incor-
porated under name of Bullard & Gormley Co.,
of which he is pres. Also sec., treas. and dir.
Prescott Hardware Mfg. Co. Mason (32).
Clubs: Chicago Athletic, Illinois, Oak Park,
Colonial. Office: 78-80 Randolph St. Residence:
339 S. East Av., Oak Park, 111.
GORTON, Edward P., lawyer; b. Ashtabula
Co., O., May 6, 1854; s. Anson and Ellen (Fisk)
Gorton; ed. public schools; m. June, 1879.
Was admitted to the bar in June, 1876. Prac-
ticed in partnership with William P. Conger
from 1876 until Mr. Conger's death in 1887,
then with Walker Blaine until latter's death
in 1889; since then alone. Dir. Link-Belt Ma-
chinery Co. Republican; has been mayor of
Lake Forest. Mem. Chicago Bar Assn. Club:
Onwentsia. Office: 108 LaSalle St. Residence:
Lake Forest, 111.
GORTON, Frank Sanford; b. Rochester, N.
Y., Aug. 1, 1847; s. John and Amanda (San-
ford) Gorton; ed. public schools and Colle-
giate Institute, Rochester, N. Y.; m. Chicago,
June 29, 1880, Louise Stager. Was in business
in New York City to 1883, when came to Chi-
cago and became treas. of the Western Edison
Co ; in 1887 formed the Chicago Edison Co.,
and was sec. and treas. until Feb. 1, 1902 Was
also treas. of the Standard Pneumatic Tool
Co., and was pres. and dir. of the Perry-Ma-
thews-Buskirk Stone Co. till 1903, since which
time not in active business. Clubs: Chicago,
Washington Park, Calumet, Chicago Golf, Sad-
dle and Cycle; also Strollers, New York. Of-
fice: Monadnock Blk. Residence: near Wheat-
GOSS, Charles Oliver, real estate; b Chi-
cago, Dec. 28, 1851; s. Oliver S. and Sara E.
(Hoag) Goss; ed. Chicago public schools;
widower; 1 son: Stanley T. Was in grocery
business from 1870 to 1873; with old Fidelity
Savings Bank, 1873-7; since 1877 mem. of firm
of E. A. Cummings & Co., real estate. Repub-
lican. Was formerly alderman of Winnetka.
Clubs: Chicago Athletic, Hamilton. Office: 108
Dearborn St. Residence: 5339 Cornell Av.
GOSS, Frederick Llewellyn, printing
presses; b. Newport, Wales, July 6, 1847; s.
Joseph S. and Mary Ann (Brown) Goss; ed
public schools; m. Milwaukee, Wis., Feb 29,
1873, Jennie McGinn; children: Nellie N.,
Grace N., Josephine L, Frederick L., Jr. After
leaving school was employed in the B W
Gates Iron Works; then went into a printing
office, learning type-setting and press work,
and was for 10 years with the J. M. W. Jones
Printing Co., as supt., until the great fire of
1871; after fire was in the printing business
for self, and failed; after engaging in minor
commercial enterprises established, in 1885,
as a manufacturer of printing presses, having
before that time and since, taken out numer-
ous patents, in own name, for various kinds
of printing machines and devices; now vice-
pres. of the Goss Perfecting Press Co. Repub-
lican. Club: Chicago Athletic. Office: 732 S.
Paulina St. Residence: 1651 Monroe St.
GOSSARD, Henry Williamson, pres. of the
H. W. Gossard Co.; b. near Frankfort, Ind.,
Mar. 18, 1871; s. William and Cynthia (Arm-
strong) Gossard; ed. public schools of Frank-
fort, Ind. Came to Chicago, 1889, and was
salesman for G. H. Foster & Co. until 1895,
when the business of French, Gossard & Co.
was established (was succeeded by Gossard &
Pinkerton), and in 1900 it was incorporated
under the present style of the H. W. Gossard
Co., of which he is pres. Clubs: Chicago Ath-
letic, Midlothian. Office: 143-145 Wabash Av.
Residence: Chicago Athletic Assn.
GOSSARD, James William, sec. the H. W.
Gossard Co.; b. near Frankfort, Ind., July 23,
1860; s. William and Cynthia (Armstrong)
Gossard; ed. public schools of Frankfort, Ind.;
commercial education in Indianapolis. Went
from Indiana to Pacific Coast, remaining there
until 1891, when came to Chicago; has since
been devoted to business and philanthropic in-
terests; since 1895 has been in present busi-
ness, which was incorporated in 1900 as the
H. W. Gossard Co., of which he is sec. En-
deavors to live systematically and has a time
for business and a time for philanthropy, de-
voting one day each week to philanthropic
work through the Higher Practical Educa-
tional Soc., of which he is founder and for
which Thursdays are his office days. Office:
143-145 Wabash Av. Residence: Auditorium
GOULD, Charles Henry, agent of estates;
b. Owosso, Mich., Dec. 25, 1856; s. Henry and
Nancy (Shattuck) Gould; ed. public schools
of Owosso, Mich.; m. Chicago, Apr. 19, 1883,
Janet Frost; children: Harold Peck, Helen, Ma-
rion, Esther. After leaving school was for sev-
eral years engaged in newspaper work in New
York, Buffalo and Detroit; now agent of the
estate of Harold S. Peck. Republican. Club:
Union League. Office: 6 Madison St. Residence:
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
GOULD, Frank, pres. L. Gould & Co.; b.
Peacham, Vt., Aug. 1, 1841; s. Bennett and
Sarah (Marsh) Gould; public school educa-
tion; m. Chicago, 1868, Myra Miller; children:
Elsie, Leonora. Came to Chicago, Oct. 15, 1860,
and entered employ of Warner & Gould; with
that house and its successor, L. Gould & Co.,
ever since, except for 3% -years, when he re-
turned to Peacham, Vt.; pres. of the com-
pany since 1899. Also pres. of the Fibre Goods
Co. Dir. Bankers Nat. Bank. Republican. Con-
gregationalist. Office: 160 W. Lake St. Resi-
dence: 1142 Judson Av., Evanston, 111.
CrOUIiD, John, real estate; b. Essex, Essex
Co., N. Y-, May 15, 1861; s. Henry N. and Sarah
Paine (Skinner) Gould; ed. Chicago grammar
and high schools; m. Chicago, Apr. 26, 1886,
Ellen Judith French; children: John, Jr.,
Charles French, Agnes Ellen, Eleanor. Began
business career Aug., 1880, with Gould & Ar-
mour, wholesale grocers, Chicago; became
partner in firm of John S. Gould & Co., 1886-
1889; in real estate business alone, 1889-91,
with L. A. Seeberger, as Gould & Seeberger,
1S91-2; alone again until Feb., 1903, when he
became a mem. of the firm of W. L. DeWolf
& Co. Dir. and registrar North Am. Iron Co.
Independent in politics. Episcopalian. Clubs:
Union League, Onwentsia, Lake Forest Win-
ter. Office: 232 LaSalle St. Residence: Lake
GOURLEY, Arthur, lumberman; b. Co.
Tyrone, Ire., Apr. 17, 1842; s. Arthur and
Eliza (McKinney'* Gourley; in youth worked
on his father's farm and attended schools in
Ireland; came to Chicago, 1870; m. Ireland,
1863, Jane McKinney; 1 daughter: Maggie
(Mrs. J. L. Campbell). Peddled dry goods and
notions for 4 months in Chicago, 1870; then
worked in yard of S. K. Martin & Co.; became
shipping clerk, 1874; partner and vice-pres.
S. K. Martin Lumber Co., 1883-8; partner in
firm of Arthur Gourley & Co., 1889; subse-
quently incorporated as Arthur Gourley Co.,
of which is pres. Office: Loomis, near 22d St.
Residence: 329 Ashland Boul.
GOWER, Harry, railway official; b. Roch-
ford, Eng., May 31, 1853; s. William and Eliza-
beth Lindsell Gower; ed. private schools, Eng-
land; m. Chicago, 1879, Sarah Ellen White.
Began business career as clerk in mercantile
house, London, Eng. In 1878 became clerk
in auditor's office of the C., R. I. & P. Ry.,
with which he has ever since been connected,
becoming chief clerk in auditing dept. and
Oct. 7, 1881, chief clerk general freight dept.;
promoted to 2d asst. general freight agent in
Apr., 1887; 1st asst. general freight agent,
Mar. 1, 1888; general freight agent Mar., 1896,
and, since Mar. 1, 1899, asst. freight traffic
mgr. C., R. I. & P. Ry. Clubs: Union League,
Homewood. Office: 144 VanBuren St. Resi-
dence: 180 51st St.
GKADLE, Henry, M. D.; b. Frankfurt, Ger.,
Aug. 17, 1855; s. B. and Rosa (Schottenfels)
Gradle; ed. Chicago; grad. Chicago Med. Col-
lege, 1874; also studied in Vienna, Heidelberg,
Leipzig and Paris; m. New York, Aug. 31,
1881, Fanny Searls; children: Harry, Roy.
Was prof, physiology; now prof, diseases of
the eye and ear, Northwestern Univ. Med.
school. Author: Bacteria and the Germ
Theory of Disease, 1883; Text-Book of Dis-
eases of the Nose, Pharynx and Ear, 1901;
mem. Chicago Med. Soc., Am. Med. Soc. Office:
100 State St. Residence: 165 Eugenie St.
GRADY, William B., dealer in surgical in-
struments; b. Philadelphia, Pa., June 28, 1861;
a. William and Julia (Maley) Grady; ed.
Philadelphia public schools; m. Dec. 24, 1884,
at St. Louis, Mo., Miss J. P. Ricketts; chil-
dren: Julia R., Agnes S. Began business career
at Philadelphia, Pa., with J. H. Gemrig & Sons ;
went to St. Louis, Mo., 1880, and was with
A. S. Alve & Co., and later Holekamp, Grady
& Moore, until 1893, when came to Chicago;
was with Truax, Greene & Co., physicians'
supplies, until 1899, when established the R.
Grady Co., of which he is pres. and treas.,
dealers in and importers of surgical instru-
ments, hospital furniture and physicians' sup-
plies. Office: 45-47 Wabash Av. Residence: 6544
GRAFF, Edwin Adolplms, pres. the Colum-
bia Malting Co.; b. Mt. Vernon, O., Apr. 22,
1851; s. John A. and Mary (Haynes) Graff;
ed. Western Univ. of Pennsylvania; m. 1st,
Allegheny, Pa., Apr. 11, 1872, Eleanor M.
Davis; children: Henderson D., Mary L., John
A., Edwin A., Jr., Eleanor M.; m., 2d, Feb. 8,
1899, Josephine M. Hewson; 1 daughter: Doro-
thy J. After leaving college engaged in the
grain and produce business at Pittsburgh, Pa.,
1872, and has ever since been in the grain
business. In 1897 came to Chicago, organizing
the Columbia Malting Co., of which is pres.
Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Konwood;
also Duquesne (Pittsburgh). Office: 234 La-
Salle St. Residence: 4907 Madison Av.
GRAFF, James Graham, civil engineer and
surveyor; b. on farm in Westmoreland Co.,
Pa., Mar. 14, 1860; s. Henry and Margaret L.
(Wilkinson) Graff; ed. country schools of In-
diana Co., Pa., from 3 to 5 months each win-
ter, 1867-78; Blairsville (Pa.) Acad., 1879-80;
State Normal School, Indiana, Pa., 1882-3;
Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa., 1885-8,
graduating with degree of C.E. ; m. Mead-
ville, Pa., Sept. 20, 1892, Frances E. Bell. Was
employed on farm, clerked in store and taught
school while not attending school, 1867-88;
taught preparatory and freshman mathematics
in college, 1887-8; came to Chicago, 1888, and
v.as employed by engineering firm of Cole,
Alvord & Shields; engineer in charge of con-
struction of Madison Street cable, 1889-90,
engineer in charge of preliminary and topo-
graphical survevs, of Jackson Park, Midway
Plaisance, and Washington Park for Board of
National Commissioners, World's Columbian
Exposition, 1891; made topographical surveys
and was engineer in charge of construction
for country home of Cyrus H. McCormick,
Lake Forest, 111. ; designed and constructed
irrigation and water power system on the
Snake River, Idaho, 1896-7; has laid out many
subdivisions and suburbs in and around Chi-
cago; elected county surveyor of Cook Co.,
1900 and 1904. Republican. Methodist. Resi-
dence: 2034 W. Congress St.
GRAHAM, Andrew J., banker; b. Chicago,
Feb. 5, 1861; public school education. At 14
began business career as a boy in the furni-
ture store of John M. Smyth, and after some
years there established, with his father, the
present banking business of Graham & Sons.
Democrat. Was appointed a mem. of the Board
of West Park Commissioners by Gov. Alt-
geld in 1893, and has been a mem. of the
board ever since. Clubs: Illinois, Iroquois,
Ashland, Sheridan. Office: 134 W. Madison St.
Residence: 1411 Washington Boul.
GRAHAM, David Wilson, surgeon; b. Biggs-
vine, 111., June 11, 1843; s. Andrew and Rachel
(Davis) Graham; grad. Monmouth College,
111., 1870; A.M.. 1873; M.D., Bellevue Hosp.
Med. College. 1872; served in Civil War in
83d 111. Vols., 1862-5; m. Chicago, July, 1877,
Ida A. Earned; children: David Barned, Evarts
Ambrose; surgeon Presbyterian Hosp., Chi-
cago, since 1884; prof, surgery, Rush Med.
College. Formerly surgeon Cook Co. Hosp.;
prof, anatomy Woman's Med. College, 1877-
1882; prof, surgery, ibid., 1883-98; was sur-
geon Wesley Hosp. several years; consulting
surgeon Evanston Hosp.; frequent contributor
to med. journals and med. socs. ; mem. Am.
Med. Assn., Illinois State Med. Soc. (pres.,
1894), Chicago Med. Soc. (pres., 1885), Chi-
cago Surgical Soc., Chicago Pathological Soc.,
etc. Mem. G. A. R., Thomas Post No. 5, Grand
Army, and Memorial Hall Assn. Clubs: Illi-
THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
nois, Irving. Office: 34 Washington St. Resi-
dence: 672 W. Monroe St.
GRAHAM, Edwin R., publishing agent
Western Methodist Book Concern; b. Upper
Sandusky, O., May 7, 1854; s. Rev. John and
Jane Glasgow (McKee) Graham; grad. Bald-
win Univ., Berea, O., B.S., 1874; m. Ft. Dodge,
ia., Nov. 14, 1888, Mary Hawthorne Dolliver;
children: Dolliver Wiltsee, Robert Hawthorne.
After leaving college in 1874 was engaged in
mercantile pursuits until 1881; from 1893 to
1904 was western representative of Hough-
ton, Mifflin & Co., publishers, of Boston; and
in May, 1904, was elected by the general con-
ference of the M. E. Church, held in Los An-
geles, Calif., to be publishing agent of the
Western Methodist Book Concern, in assn.
with Rev H. C. Jennings, D.D of Cincinnati,
O. (Jennings & Graham). Republican. Metho-
dist. Trustee of Baldwin Univ., Berea, O. Of-
fice: 57 Washington St. Residence: Evanston.
GRAHAM, Ernest Robert, architect; b.
Lowell, Mich., Aug. 22, 1867; s. Robert and
Emma (Post) Graham; ed. Lowell, Mich.; m.
Chicago, 1894. Carlotta Hall. Came to Chicago
in May, 1888, and began work as architect,
and during the construction and operation of
the World's Columbian Exposition at Chicago
was asst. dir. of works; in 1894 became asso-
ciated with D. H. Burnham as a partner in the
practice of architecture under then firm
name of D. H. Burnham & Co. Clubs: Chicago,
Union League, Mid-Day; also Duquesne, Un-
ion, Pittsburgh, Pa. Office: Ry. Exchange
Bldg. Residence: 4858 Washington Av.
GRANGER, Alfred Hoyt, architect; b.
Zanesville, O., May 31, 1867; s. Judge Moses
M. and Mary Hoyt (Reese) Granger; ed. Ken-
yon College, Gambier, O., 3 years to June, 1886;
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (spe-
cial 2-year course in architecture), 1886-8;
student at Acad. Julian and under M. Le-
teurte, Paris, 2 years; m. Chicago, Oct. 4, 1893,
Belle, daughter of Marvin Hughitt; children:
Elisabeth Sherman, Barbara Hughitt, Martha
McCullough. Spent several years as drafts-
man in offices of Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge,
both in Boston and Chicago, and with Jenney
& Mundie, Chicago; began practice for self at
Cleveland, O., Feb. 1, 1893; in 1895 took as
partner Frank B. Meade (classmate at Massa-
chusetts Institute of Technology) in firm of
Granger & Meade, until Jan. 1, 1898; then
joined Charles S. Frost, Chicago, in present
firm of Frost & Granger. Republican; served
4 years in town council of Lake Forest. Mem.
P. E. Church. Mem. Bibliophile Soc., Boston.
Clubs: Chicago, University, Saddle and Cycle,
Caxton, City, Onwentsia; also Rowfant
Cleveland), Grolier (New York). Office: 184
LaSalle St. Residence: "Woodleigh," Lake For-
s. Tnomas and Mary (ConnoGr; moved
to Chicaeo with Barents in 1880' ed grammar
schools S of Chicalo untiT 1884;' m. Chicago,
H4^ 17 MAdred J wi?%n T ^p S lo n y : If^Chfcag'o
branch of the New Haven Clock Co , 1889-94;
thIS with ^ Overman Wheel Co. .bicycles, 1894-9J
ued in his shop until 1880; from 1880 to 1884
continued in tank business for self. In 1884
came to Chicago and continued same line un-
til 1888, when he organized the William Gra-
ver Tank Works, manufacturers of iron and
steel tanks; is still pres. and dir the corn-
pany now doing an extensive business as man-
ufacturers of storage tanks for all purposes
Republican. Lutheran. Englewood Masonic
Lodge, Chapter, Commandery and Oriental
Consistory, and Medinah Temple Mystic
Shrine. Office: 77 Jackson Boul Residence-
7211 Yale Av.
ORAVTS AiVmr* Twro++ nrvT ,
S Dence7 Bartlett & Co^ whoiV^f^ i,
b Sunderland FrankUn Co Ma"ss
1347. Warren M and " Aminrtn
^esf ' ed flSSderffnd ^mntoTschoo s
j n powers' Institute TCf>rnarHtnn TWIC.H
1st CMcago Dec 8 1874 Marv E' Bronson!
daugMert^Va^ronsor [ Graves, now wife of
Rev. Orlo J. Price, of Freeport, 111.; m., 2d,
Chicago, Jan. 20, 1904, Mary Lucile Barr.
Came to Chicago in 1866, and entered the em-
ploy of Field, Palmer & Letter. In 1868, en-
tered the employ of the firm of Hibbard &
Spencer, wholesale hardware merchants; has
remained with that house continuously since,
becoming a dir. in 1898, of Hibbard, Spen-
cer, Bartlett & Co., and sec., Jan. 1, 1904. Jn
1880 devised, developed and patented the
Graves system of filing and handling travel-
ing salesmen's orders, now used all over 'the
world. Republican. Mem. Kenwood Union
Evangelical Church. Clubs: Union League,
Kenwood. Office: State St. Bridge. Residence:
4526 Woodlawn Av.
GRAVES, Charles Edward, manufacturer; b.
Nenagh, Ireland, Mar. 6, 1865; s. Thomas and
farah A. (Moran) Graves; ed. in church school,
Midleton, Ireland, 1869-74; Carmichael's School.
Cork, 1874-5; Midleton College Ireland, 1875-
1880, and by private study 1880-2; m., 1st,
Cork, Ireland, June 20 1886, Annie Baker, who
died Apr. 7, 1887. leaving 1 son: Francis Hen-
ry; m., 2d, New York, Oct 17, 1891 Bertha
Emily Lux; children: Kasten North, Ber-
tram Danvers, Gladys Olivia Is first cousin
(once removed) of Gen. William Graves, of
Gravesend (the family seat), Co. perry, Ire-
land, who is now head of the family Family
has contributed 8 admirals to the British navy.
Was private sec to Maurice Healy, atty.-at-
law and mem. of the British House of Corn-
mons, 1882-8; in office of gen supt Wells-
Fargo Express Co., New York, Oct., 1
Oct., 1889; in practice of law court reporter
and commissioner in chancery at Roanoke Va..
Oct.. 1889 to Oct 1894; in law dept. of Metro-
politan St Ry. Co. of New York, and in law
office oJ^^Simpso* Thacher ^Barnum,
1893. Republican Unitarian- trustee Unity
Church, Oak Park. Club: Oak Park. Office.
First Nat. Bank Bldg. Residence: Oak Park.
^GRAVES, Charle. Eugene, pres. and dir.
Charles E. Graves & Co , Jewelers, successors
to J. B Chambers , & Co. Clubs: Evanston Coun-
pendent in politics. Office: 149 State St. Resi-
dence: 6625 Kimbark Av.
GRAVER, William, pres. William Graver
TTniv of Ml oh lean
Graver; ed. public schools; m. Allegheny, Pa.,
Jan. 1, 1866, Christina Penman; children:
James P., William F.. Philip S., Herbert S.,
Alexander M., Alice, Elizabeth. In 1858 became
apprentice to Michael Graver, Pittsburgh, Pa.,
to learn the trade of tank maker, and contin-
drew Crawford (deceased). Admitted to bar,
1895, and has since then been engaged in prac-
tice Served as capt. in 33d Mich. Vols. in cam-
paign against Santiago, 1898; commissioned
as col., Michigan N. G., 1900; In practice In
Chicago, since Jan. 1, 1901. Mem. Army of
242 THE BOOK OF CHICAGOANS
Santiago, Order of Spanish-Am. War. Repub- death of his brother, when firm was dissolved,
llcan. Clubs: Union League, University, Glen Was dir. First Nat. Bank of Chicago, 1866-9,
View. Office: First Nat. Bank Bldg. Residence: and vice-pres., 1867-82; pres. Nat. Safe Deposit
96 Pine Grove Av. Co., until 1899, when he retired; now pres.
GRAVES, Henry Eliplias, general western Stearns Lime & Stone Co. In early days was