tion of the William Penn Charter School of Philadelphia, and says Thomas
Chase, president of Haverford College, in a memorial of Charles Yarnall, pub-
lished in the North American and United States Gazette, October 24, 1877, "of
both these institutions he may be called the father and much of what is best in
their organization and methods can be traced to his suggestion." He was a prom-
inent and successful merchant and took a lively interest in all that pertained to
the best interests of his native city. He died September 28, 1877. He married
Emma, daughter of Jasper Cope, of the prominent dry-goods firm of Israel and
Jasper Cope, Market street, above Fourth.
Issue of Charles and Emma (Cope) Yarnall:
Ellis Hornor, b. Dec. 23, 1839, Phila.; of whom presently;
Anna, b. March 5, 1844, unm.; residing in Phila.
Ellis Hornor Yarnall, son of Charles and Emma (Cope) Yarnall, born
December 23, 1839, was prepared for college at Gregory's Classical Academy,
and entering Haverford College was graduated with the degree of A. B. in 1858.
Several succeeding years he spent in mercantile pursuits, being with Whitall,
Tatum & Company, manufacturers and merchants of Philadelphia, but gave up a
business career to pursue the study of law. He took a course in the Law Depart-
ment of the University of Pennsylvania, receiving the degree of LL. B. in 1866.
He was admitted to the Philadelphia Bar the same year, and at once engaged in
the practice of the law in the courts of Philadelphia. For some time he was editor
of the geographical department of the American Naturalist. He spent several
years in travel in European countries returning to his native city in 1894, since
which time he was actively engaged in the practice of his profession until his
death, which occurred December 18, 1907. An obituary notice in St. Clement's
Magazine says of him: "On December 18, Ellis Hornor Yarnall entered into
rest. He had been for many years connected with St. Clement's, and was for
some time a member of the vestry. Uncompromising in his churchmanship, Mr.
Yarnall was a staunch Catholic, and was a true defender of the Faith in the early
history of the parish. Devout in his Christian life, and sincere and straightfor-
ward in his dealings with others, he was respected by all who knew him. His
illness was of brief duration, and his death came as a surprise to many. May he
rest in peace." He was a member of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, of
the Philadelphia Geographical Society and of other organizations. Mr. Yarnall
was married (first) in 1880, to Caroline Ridgeway Rowland, (second) in 1897,
to his cousin, Emily Yarnall, who survives him.
The Pepper family, destined to play an important part in the business and pro-
fessional life of Philadelphia, was founded in American by Johan Heinrich
Pfeffer, born near Strasburg, Germany, January 5, 1739, who embarked from
Rotterdam in the ship "Minerva," Capt. Thomas Arnott, with ninety-one other
Germans and Palatines, for Philadelphia, and was qualified as a subject of the
English crown at that city on October 13, 1769. Soon after his arrival he located
at Schafifertown, Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, but in 1774 returned to Phila-
delphia, and thereafter made his home in that city, where he acquired much
valuable real estate and became one of the prominent business men of the city.
The German name of Pfeffer became Anglicized into Pepper and he was known
in Philadelphia as Henry Pepper. He died in that city, March 11, 1808. His
will, dated December 17, 1807, and proven May 18, 1808, devised to his children
and grandchildren houses and lots in different parts of the city, a brewery in
Lyecoming county, and valuable real estate elsewhere. His wife Catharine sur-
vived him and was devised the house where he dwelt. The children of Henry
and Catharine Pepper, as named in his will, were as follows:
Catharine Pepper, named in her father's will as "eldest daughter" and "wife of Jona-
Philip Pepper, deceased at date of his father's will, leaving son Philip H. Pepper, who
Elizabeth Pepper, named in father's will as his second daughter and wife of George
Sarah Pepper, named in father's will as deceased wife of "late .A.dam Seybert;"
George Pepper, b. March 15, 1779, d. Jan. 6, 1846; m. Mary Catharine Seckel; of whom
Margaret Pepper, named in father's will as his youngest daughter.
George Pepper, second son of Henry and Catharine Pepper, born in the city
of Philadelphia, March 15, 1779, was placed by his father as an apprentice in the
counting house of the prominent firm of Willing & Francis, when a youth, to
learn the mercantile business. He developed into a man of almost unequalled
business capacity and, engaging in the mercantile business on his own account,
became, before reaching middle life, one of the wealthiest men of the city.
George Pepper was for many years interested in the brewing business, and
resided during the later years of his life at 225 Chestnut street, having a summer
residence on an ample estate which he called "Fairy Hill," a part of which is now
Laurel Hill Cemetery. He owned at the time of his death a vast amount of real
estate in the city, breweries on Cherry and Minor streets, and a large number of
houses on Eighth and Market streets, and in other parts of the city. By his will,
dated January 5, 1846, and proven January 12 of the same month, the greater
part of his real estate holdings were to be held in trust by his executors, who were
his wife, Mary, sons, George S. and William Pepper, his son-in-law, Isaac Norris,
and Michael Baker, for the benefit of his children and grandchildren, ample pro-
vision being made for their improvement. The rapid growth of the city in the
years succeeding his death greatly enhanced their value. No estate, with the
possible exception of that of Stephen Girard, has contributed so largely to the
development of the material wealth of the city of Philadelphia. The accumulated
inillions derived from it have since largely been devoted to the public use in the
establishment of hospitals, free public libraries, etc., and to the general advance-
ment of public utilities and benefactions.
George Pepper died at his residence, 225 Chestnut street, January 6, 1846. He
married, May 13, 1802, Mary Catharine, born in Philadelphia, June 7, 1780,
daughter of John David Seckel, and granddaughter of George David Seckel, a
prominent and wealthy citizen of Philadelphia, who died in 1797, by his wife,
Mary Catharine. Mrs. Pepper survived her husband fifteen years, and died June
Issue of George and Mary Catharine (Seckel) Pepper:
Henry Pepper, b. April 1803; many years prominent business man of Phila.; m. Feb. 11,
1841, Sallie Norris, b. Jan. 16, 1814, d. May 19, 1899, dau. of Joseph Parker and Eliza-
beth Hill (Fox) Norris; they had issue:
Elizabeth Norris Pepper, b. Dec. 19, 1841 ; m. Feb. 7, 1872, Col. William Brooke
Henry Pepper, b. Aug. 8, 1843, d. Feb. 28, 1844;
Mary Pepper, b. Jan. 11, 1845, d. Jan. 12, 1845;
Henry Pepper, b. Nov. 4, 1846, d. March 3, 1880; m. Jan. 16, 1873, Agnes Camp-
Mary Pepper, b. Nov. 18, 1848; m. June 21, 1880, John Gwynn;
Catharine Pepper, b. May i, 1851, d. May 2, 1851;
George Norris Pepper, b. Oct. 18, 1852;
Emily Norris Pepper, b. June 28, 1855; m. Feb. i, 1877, J. Wain Vaux, and had
Richard Vaux, b. Dec. 13, 1877;
Henry Vaux, b. June 12, 1879, banker of Phila. ;
Norris Wister Vaux, b. Sept. I, 1881, M. D. Univ. of Pa.;
Emily Norris Vaux, b. June i, 1885; m. April 17, 1907, Edward IngersoU;
David Pepper, b. Aug. 6, 1805, J. 1840; m. Emily Piatt, and had issue:
William Platt Pepper, b. Sept. 20, 1837, d. April 27, 1907; m. Alice Lyman; of
David Pepper, b. Aug. 21, 1840, d. Oct. 12, igo6; grad. Univ. of Pa., i860; m. Jan.
9, 1864, Sallie Taylor Newbold, and had issue :
David Pepper, b. Sept. 4, 1867; m. Nov. 28, 1894, Celeste Page Bowie;
Mary Pepper, b. Dec. 3, 1806, m. May 18, 1830, Isaac Norris, Esq., of "Hawthorne," son
of Joseph Parker and Elizabeth Hill (Fox) Norris, and had issue;
George Seckel Pepper, b. June 11, 1808, d. May 2, 1890: was interested in many philan-
thropic enterprises; trustee with nephew, Dr. William Pepper, and William Platt
Pepper, of Henry Seybert Fund for care of indigent children ; left large estate, greater
part of which was dedicated to public benefactions, principal one being establishment
of Free Public Library of Phila. ;
William Pepper, M. D., b. Jan. 21, 1810, d. Oct. 15, 1864: m. Sarah Platt: of whom pres-
Charles Pepper, b. Jan. 29, 1812, d. Feb. 22, 1812;
Catharine Pepper, b. Feb. 20, 1813, d. April 5, 1883; m. (first) Charles Rockland Thomp-
son; (second) E. B. Gardette;
Frederick Seckel Pepper, b. Dec. 20, 1814, d. Jan. 14, 1891 ; m. Adeline Worrell; of
Charles Pepper, b. March n, 1817, d. May 3, 1887; m. Margaret Lamb;
Edward Pepper, b. March II, 1817, d. March I, 1892; m. Sarah H. Cave;
Lawrence Seckel Pepper, b. Phila., Oct. 28. 1819, d. there Sept. 10, 1886; entered Univ.
of Pa. 1834 (class of 1838), grad. from Medical Department of same institution, class
of 1843, degree of M. D.
William Platt Pepper, eldest son of David and Emily (Platt) Pepper, and
grandson of George and Mary (Seckel) Pepper, born in Philadelphia, September
20, 1837, entered the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1857, in 1854, was a
member of the Philomathean Society and the Zeta Psi fraternity there; he re-
ceived his degree of A. B. in 1857, and that of A. M. in i860. He then studied
\a^N under the eminent lawyer, Peter McCall, was admitted to the Philadelphia
Bar and entered upon active practice of his profession in that city. During the
next few years after his admission to the bar, however, he spent some time in
foreign travel, giving much attention to the study of art in which he was deeply
interested. In 1871 he joined in the formation of the Social Art Club, which
resulted a few years later in the formation of the Pennsylvania Museum and
School of Industrial Art, of which he was through life one of the leading bene-
factors, serving for sixteen years as its president. He ever held firmly to the
view that the educational features of the work should be maintained and devel-
oped, while taking the keenest interest in the museum. He continued to serve as
a director of this institution to the close of his life.
Another public work in which William Piatt Pepper bore an important part
was the establishment and management of the Free Library of Philadelphia. He
was a corporate member of the body organized to administer the fund bequeathed
by his uncle. George S. Pepper, for the formation of the Library, and on the
formation of the present corporation of the Free Library of Philadelphia as a
result of that bequest, he became an active member of its Board of Managers and
continued to fill that position until his death.
In 1870 he assisted in the organization of the St. Mark's Workingmen's Club
and Institute for the improvement of the condition of the working men by pro-
viding them means for instruction and recreation, the pioneer undertaking of this
kind, since followed by a number of others of like purpose throughout the coun-
try. The work originated in a night school in which Mr. Pepper was teacher.
He was for thirty years an active manager of the Episcopal Hospital, resigning
shortly before his death, when failing health prevented him from giving it the
attention he believed due to the position. He was one of the founders and from
the beginning one of the Board of Managers of the Free Church Association,
whose object was to abolish the practice of renting and selling seats in churches,
and was for many years a member of the Vestry of the Church of the Ascension.
He was a founder of the Church Club and took an active part in its work ; and
was for some years a member of the Board of Council of St. Barnabas Mission.
He was widely known for his earnest work and benefactions in behalf of philan-
thropy and charity.
Mr. Pepper died on the morning of April 27, 1907, at his residence, 1730 Chest-
nut street, after a long illness. He married Alice Lyman, daughter of George
Theodore Lyman, of Boston, Massachusetts, who with one son, William Piatt
Pepper, Jr., of Philadelphia, and three daughters, Mrs. Arthur H. Hacker, of
Staten Island; Mrs. Robert C. Watson, Jr., of New York, and Miss Martha Otis
Pepper, of Philadelphia, survive him.
William Pepper, M. D., son of George and Mary (Seckel) Pepper, generally
known or designated as Dr. William Pepper, the elder, was born in Philadelphia,
January 21, 1810. He graduated at the College of New Jersey, now Princeton
University, with first honors in 1829, and studied medicine under Thomas T.
Hewson, M. D., and at the Medical Department of the University of Pennsyl-
vania, receiving his degree at the latter institution in 1832.
Immediately following his graduation in medicine he prepared to start for
Paris, where he spent two years in perfecting himself for the practice of his
profession, but an epidemic of cholera breaking out in his native city, he delayed
his departure to share in the medical care of the patients in the pest hospital until
the plague was entirely stamped out.
Returning to Philadelphia near the close of the year 1834 he took up the prac-
tice of medicine there and rose rapidly in reputation, and was for many years
recognized as the leading consultant in the community in cases of a serious nature.
He was for twenty-six years a physician to the Pennsylvania Hospital ; was phy-
sician to the Will's Eye Hospital; and, in i860, was elected Professor of the
Theory and Practice of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, and served
until 1864, when his failing health compelled him to resign. He was a member
of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, of the various Medical organizations,
and of the American Philosophical Society. He died, October 15, 1864, in the
prime of his brilliant career. A contemporary has written of him as follows:
"At the early age of fifty-five years, he died, just in the maturity of his mental
ability, and of his capacity for usefulness; at the period when the arduous labors
of a lifetime would have shown their best results; when the richest fruits of large
study and ripe experience were about to be gathered, giving still higher honor to
him and greater benefits to the community."
Dr. William Pepper married, June 9, 1840, Sarah Piatt, and two of their sons
achieved high distinction as physicians.
Issue of Dr. IVilliain and Sarah Piatt Pepper:
George Pepper, M. D., of whom presently;
William Pepper, LL. D., of whom later.
George Pepper, M. D., the eldest son, born April i, 1841, graduated at the
University of Pennsylvania, College Department in 1862, and Medical Depart-
ment in 1865. On September 15, 1862, he enlisted as a private in the Sixth Regi-
ment Pennsylvania Cavalry; was promoted to Lieutenant, but was disabled May
22, 1863, and honorably discharged. Taking up the study of medicine under his
distinguished father, he achieved considerable distinction prior to his early death,
on September 14, 1872. He was chiefly instrumental in founding the Philadel-
phia Obstetrical Society, and was its secretary until his fatal illness prevented his
attendance. He was a member of many medical and learned associations and
societies, and shortly before his death was elected accoucheur to the Philadelphia
Hospital. He died September 14, 1872.
Dr. George Pepper married Hitty Markoe Wharton, daughter of Hon. George
Mifflin Wharton, by his wife, Emily Markoe. She married (second) Ernest
Issue of Dr. George and Hitty M. (Wharton) Pepper:
George Wharton Pepper, A. M., LL. B., LL. D., b. Phila., March 16, 1867; entered
Univ. of Pa. 1P83; received degree A. B. 1887; entered Law Department of same
Univ., and, receiving degree of LL. B. in 1889, was admitted to the Phila. Bar; has
achieved distinction as lawyer, being universally considered leader of the junior bar;
has been Alcrernnn Sydney Biddle Prof, of Law at Univ. of Pa. since 1893: was
awprded decree LL. D. by that Univ. June 18. IC07; member of American Pliilo-
sophical Society; author of'"The Borderland of Federal and State Decisions" (1889);
"Pleading at Common Law and Under the Codes," 1891 ; "Digest of the Laws of
Pennsylvania," 1700-1901, and "Digest of Decisions and Encylopasdia of Pennsylvania
Law," 1754-1898 (with William Draper Lewis) ; receiver of Bay State Gas Co.; mem-
ber of Board of Missions of Prot. Epis. Church and Deputy to its General Conven-
tion; m. Nov. 25, 1890, Charlotte R., dau. of Prof. George P. Fisher, of Yale Univ.;
they have issue :
Adeline Louise Forbes Pepper, b. March 11, 1892;
George Wharton Pepper, Jr., b. Jan. 14, 1895;
Charlotte Eleanor Pepper, b. May 30, 1897.
Frances Pepper, b. Nov. 19, 1869; m. Nov. 4, 1896, J. Alison Scott, and had issue:
Frances Wharton Scott, b. Sept. 3, 1897;
Joseph Alison Scott, b. Jan. 21, 1900;
Ernest N. Scott, b. Dec. 25, 1903.
To Dr. William Pepper, the second son of Dr. William and Sarah (Piatt)
Pepper, the distinguished physician, scientist and scholar, for twenty years pro-
vost of the University of Pennsylvania, it is impossible to do justice in the limits
of this brief family sketch. A history of his life and distinguished services, by
Francis Newton Thorpe, has been recently published, to which we would refer
our readers. He was born in Philadelphia, August 21, 1843, and entered the
University of Pennsylvania in 1858; was Valedictorian of his class in 1862, and
entering the Medical Department of the University, received his degree of Doctor
of Medicine in 1864; Lafayette College conferred upon him the degree of LL. D.
in 1881, Princeton in 1888. He was an extensive contributor to the medical
literature of his day. He died July 28, 1898.
Dr. William Pepper married, June 25, 1873, Frances Sargeant, daughter of
Christopher Grant and Frances (Sargeant) Perry, the former a son of Commo-
dore Oliver Hazard Perry, by his wife, Elizabeth Champlin Mason, and the latter
of Hon. Thomas Sergeant of Philadelphia, by his wife, Sarah Bache, a grand-
daughter of Dr. Benjamin Franklin.
Issue of Dr. William and Frances Sargeant (Perry) Pepper:
Dr. William Pepper, b. May 14, 1874; grad. of Univ. of Pa., class of 1894, with degree
A. B., and from the Med. Dept. of same institution, with degree M. D. 1897; Fellow
of College of Physicians, Phila.; Instructor in Medicine at Univ. of Pa.; assistant
physician to Phila. and Univ. Hospitals; member of various medical societies and
associations: m. Dec. 31, 1904, Mary, dau. of Lincoln and Mary (Simpson) Godfrey,
and had issue:
William Pepper, b. Nov. 16, 1905;
Dickinson Sargeant Pepper, b. March 12, 1907;
Thomas Sargeant Pepper, b. April 14, 1876, d. July 22, 1882;
Benjamin Franklin Pepper, b. Jan. 21, 1879; grad. St. Mark's School, Southboro, Mass.,
1897; entered Coll. Dept., Univ. of Pa., class of 1901 ; grad. from Law Dept. 1903,
and was admitted to Phila. Bar; was private in Battery A, Penna. Volunteer Artillery,
in Spanish-American War, April 27 to Aug. 2, 1898; m. June 2, 1902, Rebecca Thomp-
son, dau. of George and Anna (Shippen) Willing; had issue:
Benjamin Franklin Pepper, Jr., b. June 10, 1905.
Oliver Hazard Perry Pepper, b. April 28, 1884; grad. St. Martin's School, Southboro,
Mass., 1901; grad. Univ. of Pa., with degree of B. S., and from Med. Dept. of Univ.
Frederick Seckel Pepper, son of George and Mary (Seckel) Pepper, was
born in Philadelphia, December 20, 1814, and died in that city, January 14, 1891.
He entered the University of Pennsylvania in 1831, class of 1835, and was a
member of the Philomathean Society there. He married, March 20, 1851,
Adeline, daughter of John R. and Rebecca (Glenn) Worrell, of Philadelphia, of
ancient English lineage.
Richard Worrell, the pioneer ancestor of Adeline (Worrell) Pepper, emi-
grated to Pennsylvania from Oare in the Hundred of Fair-cross, Berkshire (fifty-
four miles from London) in 1682, bringing a certificate to the Monthly Meeting of
the Society of Friends at Philadelphia from "Ye Monthly Meeting, at Oare, in
Barkshire," dated "ye 17th of ye ffirst Month, 1682." He died in Philadelphia, 5mo.
(July) 10, 1688, and his widow, Sarah Worrell, died twelve days later. They were
probably accompanied to Pennsylvania by their sons, John and Richard Worrell,
both of whom produced certificates from the same meeting at Oare, dated 5mo.
(July) 21, 1682. Richard Worrell, Sr., had been an early convert to the principles
and faith of the Society of Friends and was persecuted for his religious convictions
as early as 1670. He was an original purchaser of land in the Province of Penn-
sylvania of William Penn in 1681, and it was laid out to him, as shown by
Holme's map, on Dublin creek, in what became Lower Dublin township, Phila-
delphia county. The early Friends Meetings of that section were held at his
John Worrell, son of Richard and Sarah, whose certificate from Friends at
Oare is above recited, was a prominent member of the Society, and a trustee of
the property belonging to Dublin Meeting in 1688. He married at Oxford Meet-
ing House, June 4, 1689, Judith Dungworth, and his brother, Richard Worrell,
Jr., married Rachel May, August 11, 1685. Both have left numerous descendants.
John resided at the time of his death in Oxford township, Philadelphia county.
His will dated August 17, and proved September 12, 1743, styles him as of "Ox-
ford Township, County of Philadelphia, and Province of Philadelphia Malster,"
and states that he is "very aged." It devises to the children of his son, Isaac,
land on the west side of the King's Road, near Frankford, part of a tract he had
purchased of Robert Addams, June 7, 1698, "next to son Isaac's land." To his
son, Jacob, he devised the balance of the same tract ; he mentions his eldest son,
John; son, Isaiah; daughters, Hannah, wife of Daniel Bristol; Rebecca, wife of
a Samuel Finney, and granddaughter, Elizabeth Bigley.
Issue of John and Judith (Dungxvorth) Worrell:
John Worrell, b. April 12, 1690;
Elizabeth Worrell, b. July 11, 1691;
Isaac Worrell, b. Aug. 21, 169,3, d. 1739; of whom presently;
Sarah Worrell, b. Oct. 9, 1695;
Hezekiah Worrell, b. Nov. 27, 1697;
Isaiah Worrell, b. Dec. 29, 1699;
Abraham Worrell, b. April 12, 1699;
Rebecca Worrell, b. , m. Samuel Finney;
Hannah Worrell, m. Daniel Bristol;
Jacob Worrell, the devisee of the land near Frankford.
John Worrell, like most of the other members of Oxford Friends' Meeting, was
an adherent of George Keith in his schism of 1702, and lost his membership in
the Society of Friends, and the record of his children born after that date does
not appear on the Friends' records.
Is.\.\c Worrell, second son of John and Judith (Dungworth) \\''orrell, pur-
chased land near his father and died there in 1739, before his father. As shown
by the will of John, above quoted, the children of Isaac were devised a portion
of the old homestead, adjoining their father's land. On the land thus devised a
house was erected in 17CX), which was the home of the descendants of Isaac for
nearly two centuries. The land passed to Isaiah, son of Isaac, and from his estate
to his son, Robert, who devised it to his daughter, Martha, whose granddaughter,
Martha, still owned and occupied the old house in 1892. The will of Isaac Wor-
rell was dated January 5, and probated January 26, 1739-40. In it he is named as
a "millwright." It devises his farm to his wife, Rebecca, after whose death it
passed to his son, Isaiah, as before stated. Isaac retained his membership in the
Society of Friends and was a minister of local note. He married Rebecca Haw-
ley, who survived him. He left three sons :
IsAi.Â«iH Worrell, d. Aug. 26, 1818; m. Elizabeth Harper; of whom presently;
Richard Worrell, d. in early manhood, his widow becoming wife of Mcveagh.
ISAi.\H Worrell, son of Isaac and Rebecca (Hawley) Worrell, of Oxford
township, Philadelphia county, inherited the homestead near Frankford, but later
became a merchant in Frankford, residing in a house at the corner of Main street
and Bristol Road, which he devised to his son, Isaac. He died there August 26,
1818, and was buried in the Friends' burying-ground at Unity and Wain streets,
Frankford. His son, Isaac Worrell, was a Captain of the Associated Company
of Oxford township, 1776, and was later Captain of the Fourth Company, Second