Meeting, settling for a while in Oxford township, Philadelphia county, and later
located in the township of Lower Dublin, same county, a quarter of a mile south
of the Lower Dublin Academy, where their children were born. Mary (Strick-
land) Foster died in 1825, at the age of eighty-eight years.
Issue of JVilliain and Mary (Strickland) Foster:
Strickland Foster, m. (first) Letitia Banes, (second) Mary Johnson:
William Foster, m, Anna Haines ;
Josiah Foster, bur. at Byberry;
Thomas Foster, m. Mary ;
Miles Foster, m. June 6. 1709, Hannah Buzby, and settled on the old homestead, where
their daughter, Hannah (Foster) Baines was born;
Joseph Foster, lived with his brother, Miles, on the homestead;
Mary Foster, m, Joseph Knight ;
George Poster, m. Mary Subusa, lived near Middletown Meeting.
The family of Strickland, or Stirkland, as it was anciently written, is probably
of Saxon origin, being settled at or before the Norman conquest at Strickland or
Stirkland, parish of Moreland, Westmoreland, where it continued for several
William de Stirkland, of this family, having married Elizabeth, daughter of
Sir Ralph D'Aincourt, of Sizergh, in Cumberland, Knight, who eventually became
the heiress of her brother, Ralph, who died without issue, they removed to Sizergh,
where their descendants have continued to reside to the present time, as appears
from authentic documents in Burns' "History of Westmoreland and Cumberland."
The first of the name of Strickland, or Stirkland, on record was Walter de
Stirkland, living in the reign of King John, whose son and heir, Adam, in the
seventh year of that reign was one of the hostages for the future good conduct
of Roger Fitz-Reinfred, who had sided with the rebellious barons. The family
must have been of great consequence in ancient times, as we find no less than five
places of the same name in Westmoreland, Strickland Hall, Strickland-Kettle,
Strickland magna, Strickland parva. arid Strickland-Rogers. Gough in his edition
of "Camden's Brittania," says, "Strickland gave name to a family of Ancient
renown;" and Fuller, in his "Worthies," calls it "a right worshipful family."
William Strickland, who was consecrated Bishop of Carlisle in 1400, at his own
expense, cut a canal from the town of Penrith to the river Petterell for the navi-
gation of boats to the Irish sea. He died in 1419.
A branch of the Sizergh or of the Westmoreland family settled at Boynton,
Yorkshire, where they resided as early as the reign of Edward IV. In the
Sizergh papers it is stated that Sir William Strickland, of Boynton, on the Wolds,
married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Walter Strickland, of Sizergh, Knight, by his
wife, Catharine, daughter of Sir Ralph Neville, of Thornton Briggs, Knight; and
the parish records of Boynton show that William Strickland died in 1592, and his
widow, Elizabeth, in 1597.
This William Strickland, or Strykeland, was probably son of William Strick-
land, the first of this branch of whom we have any record. He was one of those
who were actuated by the chivalric spirit of discovery, in the reigns of Henry
VH. and Henry VHL, and became the companion of Sebastian Cabot in his
voyages to the coast of America. King Edward VI., in the fourth year of his
reign (1550), granted a pension to Sebastian Cabot, then far advanced in years,
and April 20, 1550, granted to Cabot's associate, "William Strykeland of Bynton
on the Wolds," as shown by the records of the Heralds Office and by the original
grant now in possession of the family, a coat-of-arms and crest. In this grant
William Strykeland assumed, as a record of his adventures, the turkey cock for
his crest ; a bird at about that period first introduced to the knowledge of Europe.
It is not known whom William Strykeland married or when he died, the early
records of the family having been almost entirely lost during the Civil War in the
reign of Charles I. A portrait, however, of this distinguished gentleman, in naval
uniform of the time, with the sea and a vessel in the background, is still extant at
the family seat at Boynton. He was succeeded by Sir William Strickland, before
mentioned, who married Elizabeth, daughter of his probable kinsman. Sir Walter
Strickland, of Sizergh, Cumberland, by his wife, Catharine, daughter of Sir Ralph
Neville, of Thornton Briggs, Yorkshire, Knight. Sir William and Elizabeth had
a son, Walter, and a daughter, EHzabeth, who married, December 23, 1596,
George Dakns, of Ives, Buckingham, Esq. Sir William Strickland was returned
a member for Scarborough, 1558-62-71, and died 1592. His wife died 1597, and
both are buried with many others of the family at about this time in the Church
of Wintringham, near Matton.
Walter Strickland, son of Sir William and Elizabeth, married Frances, daugh-
ter of Peter Wentworth, of Lilingston-Dayrell, Bucks, Esq., by whom he had issue :
William Strickland, who succeeded him;
Walter Strickland, b. 1600; studied law and was called to the Bar at Gray's Inn; was a
person of great influence during the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell, and later of
Richard Cromwell; on Oliver being declared Protector, Dec. 16, 1653, was made one
of fourteen members of Privy Council; was one of those who attended the installa-
tion of Oliver, June 11, 1657; named as one of the visitors to university founded at
Durham, as "our right trusty and right well beloved Walter Strickland, member of
council, etc.;" was named, Jan. 20, 1656, as one of the "House of Peers," and there-
, after known as "Lord Walter Strickland;" sent, in Sept., 1642, as Ambassador to the
States General of the United Provinces at The Hague, and again in 1651; after the
restoration received full pardon and retired to Flamborough, Yorkshire, where he d.
and was bur. in 1671 ; m. Anna, dau. and jole heiress of the famous Col. Sir Charles
Morgan, Governor of Bergh-op-Zoom, in Brabant, but is said to have left no issue;
Anne Strickland, b. and d. 1591 ;
Keziah Strickland, m. Sept. 30, 1628, Robert Dompton, of Driffield;
Ursula, m. Oct. 26, 1630, Robert Berwick, of York;
Milcha, m. June 15, 1631, Thomas Middleton, of Belsay, Northumberland, Esquire.
Walter Strickland, father, died at Boynton and was buried at Wintringham,
February 29, 1636; Frances, his wife, buried there April 27, 1636.
William Strickland, Esq., elder son of Walter and Frances, had the honor of
CLOSSON 121 5
knighthood, and was created a Baronet, July 30, 1641 ; married (first) 1622,
Margaret, daughter of Sir Richard Cholmondeley, Bart., of Whitley. She died
1624. Married (second) Lady Frances Finch, eldest daughter of Thomas, Earl
of Winchelsea ; he was prominent under the Protectorate ; appointed, May, 1657,
a visitor to University at Durham ; June 26, same year, attended in the procession
the inauguration of Cromwell, as one of his Privy Council, when he was repre-
sentative in Parliament of East Riding of Yorkshire, so elected in first Parliament.
Summoned as Lord Strickland to House of Peers, January, 1659; died September
12, 1673, and his wife, Lady Frances, December 17, 1663, both buried at Boynton,
where monuments to their memory were erected by their eldest son. Sir Thomas
Sir Thomas Strickland married, 1659, Elizabeth, daughter and co-heiress of
Sir Francis Pile, of Compton-Beauchamp, Berkshire, Bart., and had issue: Sir
WilHam, his successor, born March 23, 1664-5, married August 23, 1684, Eliza-
beth, second daughter of William Palmes, of Old Malton, Esq. ; Walter, born
October 25, 1667, married a daughter of Pierson, of Newthorpe, and had issue;
Thomas, born May i, 1669. living in 1738; Frances, born June 19, 1670; Charles,
born October 27, 1672, an officer in the navy, commanded "the Southampton" at
taking of Vigo, 1703, died an Admiral, 1724; Nathaniel, died in infancy. Sir
Thomas was member of Parliament for Heden and Beverly, representing latter
in last Parliament, begun 1658, dissolved April 22, 1659. He died November 20,
1684, and Lady Strickland, June 13, 1674, both buried at Church at Boynton.
Sir William Strickland, fourth Baronet, had William, his successor, born 1686;
Thom.as, born August 28, 1687; Walter, born May 31, 1690; Charles, an officer in
the army, member of Parliament, etc., killed in a duel at York. 1706. Sir William
died 1724, and his widow in 1740, at Boynton.
John Buzby, weaver of Milton, parish of Shipton, "being about to transport
himself across the seas," obtained a certificate from the Friends' Meeting at Mil-
ton, which was deposited at Philadelphia Meeting. He and his wife, Marie, evi-
dently resided in or near Oxford township, Philadelphia county, and were mem-
bers of Oxford Meeting, held for a time at the house of John Hart, Byberry, as
two of his daughters were married "at a Meeting held at the house of John Hart."
Issue of John and Marie Buzby:
John Buzby, m. Mary Taylor, 1690; d. 1699, Phila.; will dated 8mo. 3, 1699, proved Oct.
12, 1699, mentions his father and mother, John and Mary Buzby. and brothers and
sisters named below ;
William Buzby, m. Sarah Seary, at a Meeting held at John Hart's, smo. 28, 1685; d. 1716:
Edward Buzby, m. Susanna Adams, 1695; d. 1726;
Richard Buzby, m. Hannah, dau. of Thomas and Jane (Atkins) French, of Phila.;
Marie Buzby, m. Hunt, mentioned in brother John's will, 1699;
Elizabeth Buzby, m. 7mo., 1683. James Morris, at John Hart's: m. (second) prior to
Nicholas Buzby, m. Mary French; of whom presently;
Sarah Buzby. m. smo. 27, 1696, Richard Tomlinson, at Abington Meeting.
Nicholas Buzby, son of William and Marie Buzby, of Philadelphia county,
married at Burlington Monthly Meeting, New Jersey, 8mo. 30, 1695, Mary, bap-
tized at Whitton, Northamptonshire, England. August 8, 1675, daughter of
Thomas French and his wife, Jane Atkins, whom he married at Whitton, June
12, 1660, and came to Burlington, Mew Jersey, in 1680, an entry in his family
Bible is as follows: "I and my wife and 9 children through the great mercy of
God, came into this country and landed at Burlington, the 23d of Jmo. 1680."
His wife, Jane, died 8mo. 5, 1692, and he married (second) at Philadelphia
Monthly Meeting, 8mo., 1696, Elizabeth Stanton. The will of Thomas French,
proved at Burlington, May 3, 1699, states that he is about to sail for England, and
devises to his wife, Elizabeth, four hundred and twenty acres of land in New
Jersey, and two hundred to his son, Charles ; mentions land at Neather Heyford,
England, and gives legacies to daughters, Rachel Allen, Hannah Buzby, Sarah
Wood, Mary Buzby, Jane Hall, Lydia and Rebecca, and sons, Thomas and Rich-
Nicholas Buzby died in Wellingborough township, Burlington county, New
Jersey, leaving a will, dated August 22, 1727, which was proved October i, same
year. It metions his wife, Mary; sons, Thomas, John, Isaac, William, Benjamin,
and daughters, Lydia, wife of James Mason, and Mary, Jane, Elizabeth and
Sarah Buzby. He had purchased of his brother-in-law, Charles French, a farm
in Wellingborough, May 24, 17 14.
Thom.\.s Buzbv, son of Nicholas and Mary (French) Buzby, married under
the care of Burlington Meeting, at the house of her father, Thomas Haines, No-
vember, 1727, Margaret, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Austin) Haines, of
Northampton township, Burlington county, and granddaughter of Richard Haines,
of "Aynoe on ye Hill," England, who with wife, Margaret, and children embarked
for America in 1682. He died on the voyage, and his widow subsequently mar-
ried Henry Burcham (in 1685), "late of Neshaminy Creek in Bucks county."
Thomas Buzby died in Wellingborough, 1773, devising his plantation where he
dwelt to his son, Thomas.
Thomas Buzby, son of Thomas and Margaret (Haines) Buzby, born April 4,
1739, married in October, 1765, at Evesham Meeting, Tabitha Hugg, born March
18, 1745. He married (second) November 18, 1788, Hannah, widow of Ephraim
Haines, who died 1815, and he in 1816.
Issue of Thomas and Tabitha fHugg) Buzby:
John Buzby, b. Oct. 24, 1766;
Thomas Buzby. b. Dec. 25, 1768:
William Buzby, b. Nov. 25, 1773;
Isaac Buzby, b. April 24, 1775;
Hannah Buzby, b. April 10, 1781; m. June 6, 1799, Miles Foster, and was disowned by
Burlin^on Meeting, April 7, 1800, for marriage to one not in membership.
Hannah Foster, daughter of Miles and Hannah (Buzby) Foster, married
Joseph Banes, and Josephine Banes, daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Foster)
Banes, married James H. Closson.
James Harwood Closson, M. D., youngest son of Captain James Harwood
Closson, by his wife, Josephine Banes, was born in Philadelphia, November 27,
1861. He was educated at the Philadelphia public schools, and at private schools
of that city, supplemented by a special course at Lafayette College, Easton, Penn-
sylvania. Taking up the study of medicine he entered Hahnemann Medical Col-
lege, and graduated from that institution in 1886; locating in Germantown he
began the practice of his profession, in which he has been since actively engaged,
having a very extensive practice and standing high in his profession.
Dr. Closson is a member of Historical Society of Pennsylvania ; Genealogical
Society of Pennsylvania ; New England Society ; Colonial Society ; Pennsylvania
Society, Sons of the Revolution ; Netherland Society ; Pennsylvania German
Society ; Sons of Delaware ; American Psychological Society ; American Institute
of Homoeopathy; Homceopathic Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania;
Homoeopathic Medical Society of the County of Philadelphia; Germantown
Medical Club; has been president of the last two organizations, and has also
served as secretary of Homoeopathic Medical Society of Pennsylvania. He is an
associate member of George G. Meade Post, No. i, Grand Army of the Republic,
and a member of the Loyal Legion. He is a member of the Pennsylvania For-
estry Association ; Lafayette College Alumni Association ; Zeta Psi fraternity ; is
associated with Union Lodge, No. 121, Free and Accepted Masons, and German-
town Chapter, No. 208, Royal Arch Masons ; Germantown Commandery, Knights
Templar, No. 82, and a member of the following social organizations : Bellfield
Country Club ; Germantown Cricket Club ; Union League, and the United Service
Club. He is also a member of the Site and Relic Society of Pennsylvania ; Repub-
lican Club of New York City, and the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick.
Dr. Closson married October 22, 1891, Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel
Wilson, former president of the Farmers' and Mechanics' National Bank of
Philadelphia, and Mary (Bancroft) Bell, of Philadelphia, and a descendant of
early Colonial settlers in New England and New Jersey. They reside at 53 West
Chelten avenue, Germantown, Philadelphia.
Issue of Dr. James H. and Mary Eliaabcth (Bell) Closson:
Josephine Banes Closson, b. Sept. 12, 1893;
James Harwood Closson, Jr., b. June 18, 1896;
Mary Bancroft Closson, b. Dec. 29. 1898.
Mary Elizabeth (Bell) Closson, wife of Dr. James Harwood Closson, is a
daughter of the late Samuel Wilson Bell, for some years president of Farmers
and Mechanics National Bank of Philadelphia, by his wife, Mary Elizabeth Ban-
croft. Through her mother, Mrs. Closson is descended from numerous Colonial
families of New England and New Jersey.
Through her maternal grandmother, Olivia ( Bradbury ) Bancroft, she is a
descendant in the ninth generation from
Thomas Bradbury, who, early in 1634, appeared at Agementicus, now York,
Maine, as the agent of Sir Francis Gorgas, Proprietor of the Province of Maine.
Thomas Bradbury was one of the original proprietors of the town of Salisbury,
Massachusetts ; a Judge of the Court, and Captain of the military company there.
He died March 16, 1695. He married, 1636, Mary, daughter of John and Judith
Perkins, of Ipswich, Massachusetts, who was tried and convicted at Salem, as a
witch, but escaped punishment, and died December 20, 1700.
William Bradbury, youngest of the seven children of Thomas and Mary (Per-
kins) Bradbury, born September 15, 1649, died December 4, 1678; married March
12, 1672, Rebecca (Wheelwright) Maverick, widow of Samuel Maverick, Jr. (son
of the King's Commissioner), who died in Boston, December 20, 1664, and
daughter of Rev. John Wheelwright, founder of Exeter, by his wife, Mary,
daughter of Edward Hutchinson, and granddaughter of John Hutchinson, Lord
Mayor of London, England. She died December 20, 1678. William and Rebecca
(Wheelwright-Maverick) Bradbury had three children, all of whom were men-
tioned in the will of their grandfather, Thomas Bradbury, viz. : William, Thomas
Jacob Bradbury, third son of William and Rebecca (Wheelwright) Bradbury,
born September i, 1677, died May 4, 1718; married, July 26, 1698, Elizabeth,
daughter of Rev. John Stockman, by his wife, Sarah, daughter of Major Robert
and Sarah (Sanders) Pike, and they had five children: Dorothy, Elizabeth,
Anna, Ann and Thomas.
Thomas Bradbury, only son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Stockton) Bradbury, born
August 16, 1699, married, April 16, 1724, Sarah Merrill, of Salisbury, Massachu-
setts, and in 1744 moved to Biddeford, Maine. He was Captain in command of
the Block House there in 1748, and rendered considerable service in the Indian
wars. He died in 1775, leaving twelve children surviving him.
Moses Bradbury, fourth child of Thomas and Sarah (Merrill) Bradbury, born
at Salisbury, Massachusetts, February 14, 1731, married Mary Page, and lived at
Biddeford, Maine, where their seven children were born.
Nehemiah Bradbury, third child of Moses and Mary (Page) Bradbury, of
Biddeford, Maine, married (iirst) Elizabeth Cole, of Biddeford, and had six chil-
dren : Thomas, Eliza, Sarah, Cyrus, Olivia and Nehemiah. After the death of
his wife, Elizabeth, he married a second time.
Olivia Bradbury, daughter of Nehemiah and Elizabeth (Cole) Bradbury, born
at Saco, Maine, 1805. while on a visit to Philadelphia, married there. Captain
Daniel Eldredge Bancroft, of the Merchant Marine, and a member of the New
Jersey families of Eldredge and Bancroft. She died at the residence of her son-
in-law, Samuel Wilson Bell, in Germantown, June i, 1895.
Mary Elizabeth Bancroft, daughter of Captain Daniel Eldredge and Olivia
(Bradbury) Bancroft, born in Philadelphia, July 12, 1833, married there, Samuel
Wilson Bell, later president of the Farmers' and Mechanics' National Bank of
Philadelphia ; great-grandson of Samuel Bell, a native of Coleraine, Ireland, who
came to Philadelphia in the ship, "West Point," in 1798 with sons John, James
Samuel Bell, grandfather of Samuel Wilson Bell, born in Coleraine, Ireland,
1777, came to America in 1798, and became a prominent commission merchant
there. He died December i, 1848, at the age of seventy-one years, and was buried
at Woodlands Cemetery. His will, dated October 20, 1848, and proved December
30, 1848, mentions his wife, Ann; sons, Alexander and James Bell; daughters,
Ann, wife of Hugh Catherwood ; Sarah, wife of Samuel Reed; Elizabeth, wife of
Samuel F. Reed. Samuel Bell, as well as his three sons-in-law, was a member of
the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick. Hugh Catherwood, who was named as executor
of his father-in-law's will, died November 13, 1863, and his widow, .A.nn (Bell)
Catherwood, died January 22, 1886.
Samuel Bell married Ann Wilson, and they were the parents of the five children
mentioned in the will, above quoted.
Alexander Bell, son of Samuel and Ann (Wilson) Bell, is buried at the old
Pine Street Presbyterian Church. He married Eliza Maclllheny, and they had
three children :
o.^Ci-t^*^^ (Oi-i^i^^t-e-e^-e- c.>Â£/Â« /^c^-<5!^j^^
Samuel Wilson Bell, before mentioned, m. Mary Elizabeth Bancroft;
James Eldredge Bell, m. Ella Hand;
John Petts Bell, m. Kate Elizabeth Jarden.
Samuel Wilson and Mary Elizabeth (Bancroft) Bell had issue-
Frank W. Bell, b. 1858, d. 1861 ;
Henry Darling Bell, m. Gertrude Prescott, and had Prescott Bell;
Charles Bancroft Bell, m. Jane Berlin, dau. of Marcellus and Jane (Berlin) McDowell,
and had Charles Edward Bell;
Samuel Ashton Bell, m. , and had issue : Dorothy, Edgar and Samuel
Mary Elizabeth Bell, b. Nov. 15, 1861, in Phila.; m. in Second Presbyterian Church,
Germantown, Oct. 22, i8go, by Rev. C. H. P. Nason, to James Harwood Closson^
M. D., and they have issue :
Josephine Banes Closson, b. Sept. 12, 1893;
James Harwood Closson, Jr., b. June 18, 1896;
Mary Bancroft Closson, b. Dec. 29, 1898
The Sellers family, which for two and a quarter centuries has been identified
prominently with the afiFairs of Philadelphia and vicinity, is descended from Sam-
uel Sellers, who came to Pennsylvania from Belper, Derbyshire, England, 1682,
with his brother, George, and settled at Darby.
He was of an old and well connected family of Derbyshire, where his ancestors
liad held a respectable position for several generations. Though he seems to have
been convinced of "the Truth," as held by the Society of Friends, before coming to
Pennsylvania, he was born prior to the association of his parents with that Society,
and his baptism appears on the records of the parish church of Dufheld, near the
place of his nativity, with that of the other children of Thomas and Elizabeth
Sellers, the record of these children being as follows :
John, bapt. Aug. 20, 1648, bur. April 28. 1664:
Elizabeth, bapt. Jan. 13, 1649;
Mary, bapt. Sept. 7, 1651;
George, bapt. Feb. 13, 1652;
Samuel, bapt. Feb. 3, 1655;
Sarah, bapt. June 20, 1663.
George Sellers, eldest surviving son of Thomas and Elizabeth Sellers, of Hel-
per, county Derby, whose baptism is recorded as occurring on February 13, 1652,
came with or followed his brother, Samuel, to Pennsylvania, though his name does
not appear in the Township Book of the early settlers of Darby, as does that of
Samuel, nor upon the records of Darby Meeting. He was, however, settled in
Darby prior to 1686, in which year he died, and his estate, including fifty acres of
land, live stock, and other personal estate, passed to his younger brother, Samuel.
A tradition in the family relates that he and his brother, Samuel, built a house
there, which constituted the kitchen part of the old homestead, known later as
"Sellers Hall," but contemplating marriage, he began the erection of a house, on what
was known as "Walnut Hill," closeby the site of "Sellers Hall," which uncompleted
at his death was never finished or occupied. In confirmation of this tradition, the site
alluded to was marked until well on in the nineteenth century by the remains of the
foundation of this contemplated residence ; the stone was removed by a namesake,
George Sellers, and used in the erection of the present terrace wall in front of
^'Sellers Hall," between garden and meadow.
As the first patent to Samuel Sellers for the site of "Sellers Hall" was issued in
1690, though it is known that both he and his brother, George, were residents there
several years previously, it is probable that the land was taken up by them jointly,
and on the death of George, without issue, the patent issued to Samuel.
Samuel Sellers, youngest son of Thomas and Elizabeth Sellers, baptized at
Duffield church, Derbyshire, England, February 3. 1655, was, as evidenced by au-
thentic records, one of the earliest settlers of Darby township. Chester county,
Pennsylvania, just on the outskirts of Philadelphia county. He was one of those
Friends who, in 1682, established Darby Meeting of Friends, and was one of its
most respected and prominent members. He was also prominent in the aflfairs of
the ancient township of Darby ; serving as constable in 1688, supervisor of high-
ways in 1692, and fence viewer for several terms from 1693 to 1716. He acquired
by patent in 1690, one hundred acres of land, lying along the western side of
Cobb's creek, then known as Mill creek, and south of the present West Chester
road. In 1691 he added seventy-five acres adjoining. He was a weaver by trade
and probably utilized the water-power of Cobb's creek (where his grandson, John
Sellers, later erected a saw mill, grist mill, and worsted mill) for the operation of
his primitive looms. He died in Upper Darby, November 22. 1732.
Samuel Sellers married at Darby Meeting, August 13, 1684, Anna, daughter of
Henry and Eleanor Gibbons, who had come with her father from Parwich, Derby-
shire, 1682, being mentioned in the certificate he produced at Darby Meting from
Friends at Parwich. The declaration of intentions of marriage of Samuel Sellers
and Anna Gibbons was the first entry on the minutes of Darby Meeting, under