memory of one to whom, under God, the church owes so much. He is living still in our
hearts, and is still, and ever will be, a real force in all that makes our beloved church the
power it is for good, in the town and in the world. Personally, I owed to his influence not
only my call to the pastorate, but my acceptance of it ; and never had I known in all my
previous ministry, an elder of the church so close in fellowship, so tender in sympathy, and
so helpful in my work, and never had I seen such self-abnegation, and such self-sacrificing
devotion to the church's work. I have ever since felt the power of his influence, and have
rejoiced to see it evident in others."
His wife, Catharine, born January 7, 1837, was a daughter of John McArthur
and his wife, born Elizabeth Wilson, of Philadelphia. Mr. McArthur was an arch-
itect and builder of Scottish birth, and an elder in the Tenth Presbyterian Church
Joseph Smith H.xrris had a career which, during his school life, ran closely
parallel to that of his brother, Stephen, entering the Central High School with
him, and being graduated with him, and holding, like him, the highest places in
Upon leaving school, 1853, he entered the service of the North Pennsylvania
Railroad Company, in which he rose to the rank of topographer. On leaving this
work upon the completion of the surveys in which he was engaged, he entered, in
the fall of 1854, the service of the United States government, in which he remain-
ed nearly ten years. He served about two years in the coast survey in Mississippi
Sound, spent the season of 1850 in Kentucky, running a base line for the Ken-
HARRIS 1 32 1
tucky Geological Survey, and was appointed one of the astronomers of the North-
west Boundary Survey, 1857. He remained nearly five years on the extreme
northwestern frontier of the United States, in what are now the states of Wash-
ington, Idaho and British Columbia. In the season of 1862 he was, at first, the
first officer, and later was in command of the United States steamer, "Sachem,"
on duty with Farragut's fleet in the Mississippi.
Leaving the service of the United States government, 1864, he removed to
Pottsville, Pennsylvania, joining there his brother, Stephen, in business. He was
engaged there in civil and mining engineering a number of years, until he was
called to New York, 1880, as general manager of the Central Railroad of New
Jersey. In 1882 he was elected president of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation
Company and removed to Philadelphia. In 1893 he was appointed managing re-
ceiver, and elected president of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company
and the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company. He held these presi-
dencies till his retirement, 1901. Under his adminstration the Reading Company,
which, under the reorganization of the two companies above named, became owner
of their capital stock, was able to resume, in 1900, the payment of dividends which
had been intermitted since 1876. In June, 1903, he was given the degree of
"Doctor of Science" by Franklin and Marshall College.
His first wife, the mother of all his children, Delia Silliman, born January 20,
1842, died August 19, 1880, was second daughter of George Hamilton Brodhead,
of New York, for many years secretary of the New York Stock Exchange, later
vice-president and president, and his wife, born Julia Ann Phelps.
His second wife, Emily Eliza, born July 14. 1843, died December 29, 1890, was
a daughter of George Henry Potts, president of the National Park Bank, New
York, and his wife, born Emily Dilworth Gumming.
His third wife, Anna Zelia Potts, was born June 11, 1850.
Marth.\ Frazer Harris married. May, 1870, Henry Chester Parry; born June
17, 1839, died November 7, 1893, ^ physician, graduate of ]\Iedical School of
University of Pennsylvania. He was, during the Civil War, and for some years
later, a surgeon in the United States Army. After his marriage he commenced
the private practice of medicine in Brooklyn, New York, and, in 1874, removed to
Pottsville, Pennsylvania. After his death, November 7, 1893, his widow removed,
in 1897, to Augusta, Georgia, where she now lives.
John Campbell Harris received college education; graduated 1858, receiving
degrees of A. B. and A. M. ; was admitted to the bar when twenty-one years old,
in Washington, D. C. ; also a member of the Philadelphia Bar.
The book "Civil War Officers of the Army and Navy" (Hammersly, 1892),
"First Lieutenant John C. Harris was born near Philadelphia in 1840: admitted to the
Bar in 1861 ; before entering the service, he volunteered, in January, 1S61. on an expedition
to take and hold Fort Washington, on the Potomac, and witnessed the first Bull Run dis-
aster. He received a commission in 1861, in the Marine Corps, of which his uncle was then
chief. After some service about Washington, he was placed in command of the guard of
the war-steamer. 'Pensacola' (now, thirty years later, probably the only vessel of that date,
still in active service). After much delay, in preparation, she passed down the Potomac
with President Lincoln and some of his Cabinet, until under the fire of the rebel batteries,
which failed, after repeated efforts, to seriously injure her. At Hampton Roads some time
was spent in watching for the rebel iron-clad 'Merrimac' In February 1862, she continued
South, to join Admiral Farragut's fleet; and, after almost a wreck on the Florida reefs, and
getting oflF with difficulty, reached Key West, Florida: refitted, and proceeded to Ship Island,
where were rendezvoused the fleet, Porter's mortar flotilla, and General Butler's army. In
April, 1862, after heavy fighting at Forts St. Philip and Jackson, and the Chalmette batteries
(he being wounded, and, later brevetted, for 'gallant and meritorious service' there).
these naval forces captured New Orleans, where the 'Pensacola' remained over a
year; though he was, for a time, a volunteer at the siege of Port Hudson, with his
friend, General Godfrey Weitzel, of the U. S. Engineers. Before General Butler's troops
arrived. Lieutenant Harris was thrice landed, with his men, to carry out Admiral Farragut's
dififerent orders. In April, 1863, he was ordered North; and soon after the Union repulse,
with great slaughter, at Fort Wagner, off Charleston, was made adjutant of a battalion of
five hundred men, sent from New York, to lead a second storming-party against the Fort;
which, with Fort Gregg, was soon after taken, and the rebels cleared off Morris Island.
After these captures and the assault on Fort Sumter, â€” in which he was again a volunteer, in
a picked body of one hundred men, called for by Admiral Dahlgren, â€” the command retired
to Folly Island, where the long stay on the Mississippi and exposure off Charleston, with
bad food and water, culminated in a severe fever, which sent him, successively, to the hos-
pital-ship, 'Vermont;' to the hospital at Beaufort, South Carolina; and, when able to travel,
back to the North. A short service thereafter (in which he again volunteered) against the
rebel cavalry raider, General Harry Gilmore (under Ewell) in Maryland, terminated his
war experiences; â€” as the war about then ceased. Service on many courts-martial (in which
he was generally Judge-Advocate) and at the Philadelphia Navy-Yard then occupied him,
until the U. S. S., 'Ticonderoga' (whose guard he commanded), sailed in November, 1865,
for the European Squadron: where he spent some three years, under Admirals Farragut and
Goldsborough, visiting all the main ports of Europe, the East, and North and West Africa,
with the Madeiras, Azores, Canaries, Balearics, etc., â€” a cruise of unsurpassed interest;
opportunity having been given for travelling, also, through the interior of countries. On his
return to the United States with Admiral Farragut, in 1869, on the frigate, 'Franklin,' he
resigned, and resumed business-life. The Naval Register of that year credits him with more
'sea-service' than any of the corps of his date, or of the six preceding dates, â€” one officer
excepted; who, however, was three dates ahead of him. On both sides of his family he
came from pre-Revolutionary Pennsylvania ancestry. His grandfathers. General William
Harris, of Pennsylvania, whose monument is at Great Valley Church, near Philadelphia,
and Colonel Persifor Frazer on his maternal side, both served with the Pennsylvania troops
under General Washington. His Frazer and Campbell ancestors evidence his partly Scotch
origin, and the Harris name (which is identified with Harrisburg, the capital of Pennsyl-
vania), is EngHsh, being the family name of the Earls of Malmesbury. As he only served
when quite young, and in the regular Navy, where promotion awaited a vacancy ahead,
there was no opportunity for other advance, as in the army. He was one of the million or
more, whose course of life, was deflected by the war-call of the country, who did what
occasion offered; and the survivors, when no more needed, returned whence they came."
After leaving the navy, he was some ten years in business, retiring 1878. He
married Mary, daughter of Mr. Thomas H. Powers, an eminent and widely re-
spected philanthropist. His wife's family, also early settled in Pennsylvania, Mr.
Blunston, an ancestor, being one of Penn's Council of State ; and Mrs. Harris
holds membership in the Society of Colonial Wars, Daughters of the Revolution,
Issue of John Campbell and ]\Iary (Poivcrs) Harris:
Thomas Powers Harris, b. Oct. 10, 1870, unm.;
Alan Campbell Harris, b. March 18, 1873, unm. ;
Henry Frazer Harris, b. May 28, 1880 ; m. Dec. 5, 1903.
Frazer Harris was a lad of great promise and decided artistic abihty. He
died suddenly before his education was completed, from a malignant pustule in
his face, which ended his life a few days after its appearance.
Mary Campbell Harris died of consumption in her early womanhood.
Issue of Stephen and Catharine (McArthur) Harris:
Stephen Harris, b. Oct. 15, 1864; m. June 12, 1899;
John McArthur Harris, b. March 5, 1867; m. June 14, 1894;
Elizabeth Harris, b. Feb. 26, 1870; m. June 18, 1896;
Mary Harris, b. Sept. 6. 1872, unm.
Issue of Joseph Smith and Delia Silliinait (Brodhcad) Harris:
Marian Frazer Harris, b. Dec. 3, 1866, unm.;
George Brodhead Harris, b. Sept. 3, 1868; m. June 12, i8g6;
Frances Brodhead Harris, b. March 15, 1870; m. June 4, 1895;
Clinton Gardner Harris, b. March 18, 1872, unm.;
Madeline Vaughan Harris, b. Nov. 5, 1873; m. Nov. 14, 1900.
Issue of Henry Chester and Martha Frazer (Harris) Parry:
Marv Campbell Parry, b. March 20, 1871: m. April 12, 1899;
George Gowen Parky, b. Dec. 4, 1872; m. Oct. 14, 1905.
Stephen Harris was graduated University of Pennsylvania, B. S., 1886, C. E.,
1887. He was an assistant engineer on the surveys for the Nicaragua Canal,
1897-1900. In 1901-2 he was in the service of the city of Philadelphia; 1903-4, in
the service of the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Company, and has since been
in the service of the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company.
His wife, Agnes, born August 29, 1868, is a daughter of Achille Cointat, of
Tournay, Department of the Yonne, France, and his wife, born Clarisse Eleonore
Issue of Stephen and Agnes (Cointat) Harris:
Eleonore Dubois Harris, b. April i, 1900.
John McArthur Harris was graduated at University of Pennsylvania, A. B.,
1887, A. ]\I., 1890, and is an architect of the firm of Wilson, Harris & Richards,
Philadelphia. He is an elder of the Second Presbyterian Church of Germantown,
His wife, Sophia, is a daughter of the late Cornelius Weygandt, president of the
Western National Bank of Philadelphia, and his wife, born Lucy Thomas. She
is a graduate of Bryn Mawr College, A. B., 1889.
Issue of John McArthur and Sophia (Weygandt) Harris:
Lucy Weygandt Harris, b. June 3, 1895;
John McArthur Harris, Jr., b. June 16, 1901.
Elizabeth Harris was graduated at Bryn Mawr College, A. B., 1890, A. M.,
Her husband, Edward H. Keiser, born November 20, 1861, a son of Bernhard
Keiser, and his wife, born Katharina Pfeifer, of Allentovvn, Pennsylvania, re-
ceived from Swarthmore College degree of B. S., 1880, M. S., 1881, and Ph. D.,
from Johns Hopkins University, 1884. He was professor of chemistry at Bryn
Mawr College till 1900, when he was appointed to the same position at Washing-
ton University, St. Louis, Missouri.
Issue of Edzvard H. and Elizabeth (Harris) Keiser:
Catharine Harris Keiser, b. April 16, 1897:
Bernhard Keiser, b. March 17, 1899;
Stephen Harris Keiser, b. April 29, 1901 ;
Edward H. Keiser, Jr.. b. Sept., 1903.
Mary Campbell Harris was graduated at Bryn Mawr College, A. B.. 1895.
She is now a teacher at Miss Irvine's School, Philadelphia.
George Brodhead Harris was graduated at University of Pennsylvania, B. S.,
1888, C. E., 1889. After his graduation he spent eight years in the service of the
Central Railroad Company of New Jersey and the Lehigh and Hudson River
Railroad. In 1896 he entered the service of the Reading Iron Company, of which
he was treasurer several years, till 1905, when he became vice-president of the
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company.
His wife. Elizabeth, born June 21, 1867, is a daughter of Albert Ruggles Hol-
bert, and his wife, born Mary Henrietta Wisner, of Warwick, Orange county.
Issue of George Brodhead and EILcabeth (Holbert) Harris:
George Brodhead Harris, Jr.. b. May 5, 1899. d. Feb. 11. iQOi ;
Marian Frazer Harris, b. Dec. 15, igoo;
Joseph Macdonald Harris, b. Sept. 6, 1902.
France-s Brodhead Harris was graduated at Bryn Mawr College, 1892.
Her husband, Reynolds Driver Brown, born May 6, 1869, is a son of Henry
W. Brown and his wife, born Alice P. Driver, of Philadelphia; was graduated at
Harvard L^niversity, A. B., 1890, and at Law School of University of Pennsyl-
vania, 1894. He is a member of law firm of Burr, Brown & Lloyd, Philadelphia,
and a professor of law. University of Pennsylvania.
Issue of Reynolds Drh'er and Franees Brodhead (Harris) Brozvn:
Joseph Harris Brown, b. Feb. 2Z, 1897, d. March 22, 1899;
Reynolds Driver Brown, Jr., b. Nov. 14, 1903;
Delia Brodhead Brown, b. Oct. 27, 1905.
Clinton Gardner Harris was graduated at University of Pennsylvania, B. S.,
1892, B. Arch., 1893; was in the office of Cope & Stewardson, Philadelphia, for
several years; studied architecture in Paris and elsewhere in Europe, 1899-1902,
and was in the office of Warren & Wetmore, architects, New York City, till 1906,
and is now practicing his profession in Philadelphia.
Madeline Vaughan Harris was graduated at Bryn Mawr College, 1895. Her
husband, Henry Ingersoll Brown, born May 7, 1870, is a son of Henry W. Brown
and his wife, born Alice P. Driver, of Philadelphia. He was a member of the
class of 1891, at University of Pennsylvania, but left college during his junior
year. He is a member of the insurance firm of Henry W. Brown & Company,
Issue of Henry Ingersoll and Madeline I'aughan (Harris) Brozvn:
Henry Ingersoll Brown, Jr.. b. Oct. 14, 1903;
Clinton Harris Brown, b. Nov. 8, 1905.
Mary Campbell Parry married, April, 1899, William E. Mikell, a cotton
broker of Augusta, Georgia.
Issue of William E. and Mary Campbell (Parry) Mikell:
Waring Mikell, b. Feb. 26, igoo.
George Gowen Parry is engaged in the law department of the Philadelphia
and Reading Railway Company in Philadelphia. He is Lieutenant and Adjutant
of Second Regiment, Pennsylvania \'oliinteers. His wife, Flora R., is a daughter
of Charles C. Lockwood, of Philadelphia, and his wife, born Charlotte Wheeler.
Thomas Powers Harris was educated at Philadelphia Episcopal Academy and
University of Pennsylvania. He is owner of the Sapony cattle ranch, Cedar Edge,
Colorado ; has taken the surname of his mother's father, and is now Thomas
Alan Campbell Harris was educated at Philadelphia Episcopal Academy,
Lawrenceville, and Princeton College, New Jersey.
Henry Fr..\zer Harris was educated in Philadelphia at the Penn Charter
School, and Princeton College, New Jersey. He married Miss Virginia Blair
Johnston, of Pittsburg, a daughter of Ross Johnston and Anna Dyke Blair.
Issue of Henry Frazcr and J'irginia Blair (Johnston) Harris:
Anna Blair Harris, b. Sept. 6, 1905.
H INCH MAN FAMILY.
Edmond Hinchman, pioneer ancestor of the Philadelphia family of the name,
is supposed to have come from the parish of St. James, county Suffolk, England.
He arrived at Charlestown, Massachusetts, 1637, with his wife, Elizabeth, and
three infant sons, Thomas, Daniel and John. He later removed to Marshfield,
Massachusetts, where, as shown by the records of that town, he resided 1652-60 ;
removing about the latter date within the present limits of the town of Scituate,
and from thence to Chelmsford, now Lowell, Massachusetts, where he resided
with his son. Major Thomas Hinchman, until his death, October 27, 1668, aged
about seventy years. The two sons. Captain Daniel Hinchman, and Major Thomas
Hinchman, remained in Massachusetts, and are said to have left descendants.
John Hinchman, son of Edmond and Elizabeth Hinchman, born in England,
came with his parents to Massachusetts when an infant. He married at Boston.
Massachusetts, August 10, 1660, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Emmons. He
was a soldier in the British expedition from Boston, against the Dutch in New
York, 1664, and was a patentee of Flushing, Long Island, February, 1666. He
was again named in the patent from Governor Thomas Dongan, March 23, 1685.
He was taxed in the Assessment Roll of 1675, for twenty-five acres of land, a
negro servant, two horses, four oxen, four cows, two colts, and forty sheep. He
probably died prior to 1698, when a list of the residents of Flushing was made out,
which includes the names of only his sons, John and Thomas. Two other sons.
James and Joseph, had probably removed elsewhere prior to this date. The last
named we know to have been a resident of Gloucester county, New Jersey, prior
to 1699. He is also said to have had daughters, Mercy, Mary and Sarah, the latter
of whom married, August 24, 1695, Thomas Willett. Thomas Hinchman remain-
ed a resident of Flushing, Long Island, and his will, dated November 3, 1733,
mentions a number of children, among them a son, Joseph, whose will bears date
December 5, 1744. The latter was the father of Dr. Joseph Hinchman, of
Jamaica, Long Island, who was the great-great-grandfather of Alortimer L.
Hinchman, Esq., attorney and counsellor at law, of Long Island City, New York,
to whom we are indebted for an account of the earlier generations of the family.
John Hinchman, son of John and Elizabeth (Emmons) Hinchman, of Flush-
ing, married there, Sarah, daughter of Samuel Harrison, another of the earliest
settlers on Long Island, and prior to 1699, he and his brother, Joseph, settled in
Newton township, Gloucester county. New Jersey. On May 18, 1699, John and
Priscilla Hugg conveyed to "John Hinchman, late of Long Island, 1000 acres on
the South branch of Newton Creek, called King's Run, between Sarah Collins,
Joseph Collins, the Salem Road, John Hillman and the North branch of Gloucester
River, of which 400 acres were conveyed by Francis Collins, father of the said
Priscilla Hugg, to Samuel Jennings and Robert Dimsdale in trust for the said
The will of John Hinchman, dated October 15, 1713, was proven November 4,
1721 ; it names his wife, Sarah, and his ten children, and mentions his brother,
Joseph, as owning adjoining land.
Issue of John and Sarah (Harrison) Hinchman:
John Hinchman, m. (first) Sarah, (second) Jan. 6, 1747, Elizabeth Smith, a widow;
Joseph Hinchman, of whom presently;
Sarah Hinchman, m. Thomas Bispham, Judge of Gloucester county 1733 to his death,
James Plinchman, was executor of his father's will, and inherited a portion of the home-
stead : m. Keziah ;
Jane Hinchman, m. Jones;
Elizabeth Hinchman ;
Letitia Hinchman, m. July 29, 1727, Thomas Thorne;
Ann Hinchman, m. John Thorne;
Jacob Hinchman, m. Abigail Harrison;
Abigail Hinchman, b. after date of her father's will; m. Nov. 28, 1732, John Kaighn;
(second) John Thorne; (third) March 6, 1759, William Harrison.
Joseph Hinchman, son of John and Sarah (Harrison) Hinchman, inherited
a portion of the original homestead and resided thereon until his death, 1731. His
widow, Phebe, and two sons, James and Isaac, survived him. The latter married,
December 31, 1753, Lettice Woolston.
James Hinchman married Sarah Bickham, and settled in Greenwich township,
Gloucester county, New Jersey.
James Hinchman, son of James and Sarah (Bickham) Hinchman married
1779, Sarah, daughter of Joseph Morgan, of Gloucester, by his third wife, Mary
Stokes; granddaughter of Alexander Morgan, by his wife, Hannah, daughter of
Joseph and Lydia (Rigg) Cooper, and granddaughter of William Cooper, of Pine
Point, pioneer ancestor of the prominent Cooper family of New Jersey, who was
one of the Commissioners of West Jersey, 1682; Justice of Gloucester County
Courts, 1696 ; member of Provincial Assembly of New Jersey, 1682-6. He was
born in the parish of Ainersham, Hertfordshire, England, and was one of the
earliest settlers on the site of the city of Camden The early meetings of the
Society of Friends were held at his house, and he was one of the most influential
men of his time in that section. His son, Joseph Cooper, was a representative in
the first Council of the united provinces of East and West Jersey, 1703. He mar-
ried, August II, 1686, Lydia, daughter of George Rigg, of Hewling's Point, on
the Delaware, near Burlington, of whose estate she was administratrix, March
3, 1687-8. Hannah, daughter of Joseph and Lydia Cooper, married at Newton
Meeting, 1717, Alexander Morgan, who died in Waterford township, Gloucester
county, 1751 ; son of Griffith Morgan, a mariner of Philadelphia, who came from
Wales, and for some years prior to his marriage, followed the sea. He was a
member of the Society of Friends, and was imprisoned in Haverford West, for
non-attendance of the established church, 1684. In 1693 he married Elizabeth,
widow of Samuel Cole, of Cole's Hill, Hertfordshire, who accompanied William
Cooper to America and settled near him on the north side of Cooper's Creek. He
removed to Pensauken in the same county, 1685, and was a member of Provincial
Assembly, and otherwise prominent in the affairs of the province, serving on the
boundary commission and filling other important positions of trust. He was coin-
pelled to return to England to look after some affairs of his family there, and died
on the return voyage at Barbadoes.
Samuel Cole had purchased of William Penn, by deed of lease and release,
dated March i and 2, 1676-7, a one-twentieth interest in the lands of West Jersey,
1328 H INCH MAN
mosi of which was laid out to, and conveyed by him prior to his return to Eng-
land ; the balance descended to his son, Samuel, and his daughter, Rachel, wife of
James Wild. After the marriage of Griffith Morgan to the widow, Elizabeth
Cole, he abandoned the sea, and purchased, May 18, 1697, of the executors of
Thomas Lloyd, of Philadelphia, five hundred acres in Waterford township, Glou-
cester county, on the southwest side of Pouns Creek, where he resided until his
death, June, 1714, and it descended to his son, Alexander. His widow, Elizabeth,
survived him six years, her will, dated July 20, 1719, proved September 14, 1720,
devised her estate to her children, Samuel Cole, Rachel Wild and Alexander Mor-
gan, and their several children. Joseph Morgan married (first) Agnes Jones;
(third), 1758, Mary, daughter of Joseph Stokes, of Waterford township, by his
wife, Judith (married August 8, 1710), daughter of Freedom and Mary (Curtis)
Lippincott, and granddaughter of Richard and Abigail Lippincott, who were at
Roxbury, Massachusetts, 1642; returned to England, and again emigrated to
America, 1661, settling for a time at Rhode Island, but were among the first set-
tlers at Shrewsbury, New Jersey, about 1665, and Richard Lippincott was one of
the most prominent officials of the new province.
Joseph Stokes, father of Mary (Stokes) Morgan, was a son of Thomas Stokes,
of Stepney, Middlesex (London), England, who married there, 1668, Mary Ber-
nard, and with her and their children came to the Delaware in the "Kent," which
arrived at New Castle, August, 1677, and proceeded up the Delaware to Burling-
ton. He settled on Rancocus Creek, Waterford township, Gloucester county,
where his wife died 1699, and he, 1719, aged seventy-eight years.
John Hinchman, merchant, son of James and Sarah (Morgan) Hinchman, of