Troop of Horse, November 6, 1732.
Peter Colcord, son of Edward and Jane (Coffin) Colcord, born at New Mar-
ket, New Hampshire, March 7, 1758, died at Epping, New Hampshire, January
'5- 1836. He was a farmer and married Phoebe, a daughter of James and Phoebe
(Broughton) Hamilton, and had three children: Pamela Colcord, born August i,
i8ui, died at Epping, August 29, 1865, unmarried; Tristram Coffin Colcord, of
whom presently : and Mary Dow Colcord, born at Epping, February 5, 1812, died
at Exeter, January 15, 1883, unmarried.
Tristr.\m Coffin Colket, as he spelled his name after locating in Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania, was born in Epping, New Hampshire. October 15, 1809, and died
in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 5, 1883. He came to Philadelphia when a
young man and engaged in business there. Though possessed of little or no capital
on his arrival in this city, he, by his own exertions and the exercise of an almost
prophetic foresight in business matters, amassed a large fortune. Prior to his
death he was interested in and filled various official positions for no less than
thirty-eight corporations. Among others, he was a director of the Central Rail-
road of New Jersey, the Morris Canal Company, the Tioga Land and Improve-
ment Company, the North Pennsylvania Railroad Company, the Citizens' Passen-
ger Railway Company, the Penn Township Bank, and Northern Saving Fund;
and President of the Philadelphia City Passenger Railway Company, Chestnut
Hill Railroad Company, the Philadelphia and Norristown Railroad Company, the
Long Island Railroad Company, and the Tremont Coal Company.
He married, March 21, 1839, Mary Pennypacker Walker, bom at "Rehobeth
Spring," long the seat of her family in Tredyffrin township, Chester county, Penn-
sylvania, September 3. 1819, died in Philadelphia, November 15, 1889. She was
a daughter of William and Sarah (Pennypacker) Walker, of Tredyflfrin, and of
a family, long prominent residents of the Chester Valley.
Lewis Walker, the immigrant ancestor of the Walker family of the Chester
Valley, came from Merionethshire, Wales, in 1687, and settled first in Radnor
township, purchasing three hundred acres there of David Evans, and taking up
two hundred acres additional adjoining his purchase. He married at Haverford
Meeting, April 22, 1693, Mary Morris, also a native of Wales, who had crossed
the ocean with him. After residing at Radnor for several years, he took up a
large tract of land in the Great Valley of Chester county, and removed there in
1705. He named his plantation "Rehobeth," and built a house thereon, in which
the early Friends" Meetings in that section were held under dispensation from
Haverford Meeting, of which he was a worthy elder. He died at "Rehobeth"
December 23, 1728-9, his will bearing date December 14, 1728, being proven Janu-
ary 24, 1728-9. His wife survived him and died in 1747. They were the parents
of eight children.
Isaac Walker, seventh child of Lewis and Mary (Morris) Walker, bom
March 7, 1705, inherited under his father's will one hundred acres in Tredyiifrin
township, but continued to reside on the homestead with his mother until her
death in 1747, when he inherited the homestead also and continued to reside there
until his death on February 23, 1755, taking an active part in local affairs, having
served as Supervisor of Highways from 1726 to 1753. He married, November 11,
1730, at the house of Hannah Jones, in Tredyffrin, Sarah Jerman, born in Philadel-
phia, October 25, 17 13. daughter of Edward and Elizabeth Jerman, who was a resi-
dent of Philadelphia as early as 1703, and died there September 10, 1714. Isaac
Walker took his seventeen-year-old bride to "Rehobeth" in 1730, and she con-
tinued to reside there after his death until her marriage on January 25, 1759, to
Jacob Thomas, of Willistown, when she released her dower interest in her first
husband's estate to her son, Joseph Walker, the eldest of her eleven children by
Isaac Walker. She died April 26, 1802, having almost reached her ninetieth year.
Joseph Walker, eldest son of Isaac and Sarah (Jerman) Walker, born at
"Rehobeth," July 25, 1731, remained there with his mother until his marriage in
1752, when he located on the one hundred acre tract devised to his father by his
grandfather in 1728, on which there was a mill erected, which he operated for
many years. He acquired the plantation of "Rehobeth," after the second marriage
of his mother, and his house was the headquarters of some of the officers of
Washington's Army during the encampment at Valley Forge, and Lafayette was
a frequent visitor there. He suffered so severely from foraging parties from
both armies that he was given a guard to protect him from further depredations
of the soldiers. He was a man of affairs in the community, but being a member
of the Society of Friends, he took no part in the Revolutionary struggle. His
house was the headquarters of General Wayne for six months, 1777-78. He died
at "Rehobeth," November i, 1818, having been totally blind several years prior to
Joseph Walker married (first), in 1752, Sarah Thomas, born May 25, 1734,
daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Jarman) Thomas, and granddaughter of William
and Elizabeth Thomas, who settled at Newtown, Chester (now Delaware) county.
Thomas Thomas was born May 12, 1690, and died July 13, 1724; his wife, Sarah
Jarman, born April 14, 1695, was a daughter of John and Margaret Jarman, who
with their daughters, Margaret and Mary, came from Llanidles, Montgomery-
shire, Wales, bringing a certificate from Friends' Meeting at Llangerigg, dated
July 20, 1685, and settled at Radnor. Sarah (Thomas) Walker died March 12,
1792, and Joseph married (second) Jane, widow of William Rankin. Naomi
Walker, a daughter of Joseph and Sarah, married William Thomas, of Merion.
Thomas Walker, the fourth of the thirteen children of Joseph and Sarah
(Thomas) Walker, was born in Tredyffrin township, Chester county, December
29, 1757, and died March 17, 1839. His father purchased for him, October 26,
1791, a farm formerly owned by Rev. William Currie, where he resided until his
death. He married, April 2, 1789, Margaret Currie, born March 13, 1772, died
May 5, 1858, daughter of Richard Currie, by his wife, Hannah Potts, and grand-
1402 COLKET _ .
daughter of Rev. William Currie, first rector of St. David's Church, Radnor, by
his first wife, Margaret, daughter of Rev. George Ross, first rector of Immanuel
Church, New Castle, and sister to Hon. George Ross, of Lancaster, member of
Continental Congress and signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Rev. William Currie, grandfather of Margaret (Currie) Walker, was born at
Glasgow, Scotland, in 1710, and was educated at the University of Glasgow. On
his graduation he came to America as tutor to a son of a Mr. Carter, of Virginia,
on recommendation of the faculty of the University, and filled that position for
several years. Coming later to New Castle, Delaware, he became acquainted with
Rev. George Ross, first rector of Immanuel Church there, and began the study
of Theology under his direction, and being recommended to the Society for the
Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, returned to England to be ordained.
Returning to America in 1737, he became lay reader at St. David's Episcopal
Church, Radnor, and St. Paul's Church at Chester. In 1752 he became the first
regularly ordained rector of these churches and continued to officiate at St.
David's until May 16, 1776, when he resigned, ostensibly, as stated in his letter
of resignation, on account of age and infirmities, but really because he felt it his
duty, under his ordination vows, to continue to oflfer prayers for the King, and
his congregation strenuously objected thereto. After the ratification of the
Treaty of Peace with Great Britain, in 1783, he was again installed as rector of
St. David's, and officiated for a few years. His last years were spent at the home
of his granddaughter Margaret (Currie) Walker in Tredyiifrin, where he died
October 26, 1803, at the age of ninety-three years. He married (first) Margaret,
daughter of his preceptor. Rev. George Ross, born in 1714, died in 1771 ; and
(second) Lucy Ann (Godfrey), widow of David Jones, and daughter of Thomas
Godfrey, of Tredyiifrin. She died February 4, 1778, at the age of fifty-four.
Richard Currie, son of Rev. William and Margaret (Ross) Currie, and father
of Margaret (Currie) Walker, was born in 1750, and died September 16, 1776.
He was a member of the Pennsylvania Militia, and went with his command to
take part in the Jersey campaign of 1776, was taken sick at Amboy, and returned
home to die. His wife, Hannah, daughter of Ezekial and Barbara (Vogdes)
Potts, born 1755, died February 23, 1778, and both were interred at St. David's,
Radnor. Hannah Potts was a great-granddaughter of Thomas Croasdale, who
came to Pennsylvania with Penn in the "Welcome."
Rev. George Ross, born in Scotland in 1673, graduated at the University of
Edinburgh in 1700 with the degree of M. A., and in 1705 came from Rosshire,
Scotland (Parish of Fern), to America as a missionary sent out by the Society
for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, and was rector of Immanuel
Church at New Castle, 1705-8, and again in 1714, until his death in 1755, at the
age of seventy-three years. He married Joanna Williams, of Rhode Island. His
son, Hon. George Ross, was the distinguished statesman and patriot of Lancaster,
member of Continental Congress, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and
Judge of the Pennsylvania Court of Admiralty.
Thomas Walker was dealt with by the Friends for marriage to one not a mem-
ber, but continued his membership in the Society until his death. Thomas and
Mary (Currie) Walker were the parents of eleven children, the fourth of whom
was William Walker, father of Mary Pennypacker Walker, who became wife of
Tristram Coffin Colket, of Philadelphia.
William Walker, born in Tredyffrin township, Chester county, Pennsylvania,
February 8, 1795, was married by Parson Clay, on January 28, 1817, to Sarah
Pennypacker, born February 28, 1797, daughter of Matthias Pennypacker by his
second wife, Mary Longaker, and granddaughter of Jacob and Margaret (Tyson)
Pennypacker, or Pannebecker. Her father, Matthias Pennypacker. born October
14, 1742, was an eminent Mennonite preacher.
William and Sarah (Pennypacker) Walker, on their marriage in 1817, took up
their residence on his father's "Lower Place," part of the original Walker tract
taken up by Lewis Walker in 1705. lying between "Rehobeth" and the "Wayne
Headquarters Farm," known as "Rehobeth Spring," where a house had been erect-
ed by Enoch Walker, who occupied it for atime before it became the property
of Joseph Walker, the grandfather of William. Here William Walker and his
estimable wife lived for upwards of fifty years, celebrating their golden wedding
there in 1867, surrounded by their children and grandchildren. William Walker
was a prosperous farmer, of a generous disposition, much given to hospitality.
His wife in her youth had the reputation of being the handsomest girl in Charles-
town township, and no one could doubt this who saw her in her beautiful old age.
William Walker died at "Rehobeth Spring," March 10, 1873, and his widow died
there January 17, 1878: he, at the age of seventy-eight, and she at the age of
eighty-one. They were the parents of ten children of whom Mary Pennypacker
(Walker), wife of Tristram Coffin Colket, of Philadelphia, born September 3,
1819, died November 15, 1889, was the second. Both she and her husband were
buried at Laurel Hill Cemetery.
Issue of Tristram Coffin, and Mary P. (Walker) Colket:
Sarah Maris Colket, b. Nov. 17, 1840; d, July 24, 1841 ;
William Walker Colket, b. in Phila., Nov. 11, 1841 ; m. Nov. 19, 1863, Jane Hoxsie,
and they have eight children. He is Pres. of the Phila. City Passenger Railway
Co. and of Chestnut Hill R. R. Co.;
George Hamilton Colket. b. Phila.. August 24, 1843; d. there March 29. 1905; m.
there Nov. 20, 1867, Rebecca, dau. of William B. and Emily (Holstein) Brooke,
and resided in Phila. He vt-as Pres. of Huntingdon and Broad Top R. R. Co.;
Director of Phila.. Germantown and Norristown R. R. Co., and the Penn Na-
Mary Jane Colket, b Phila., Feb. 14. 1845; m. there March 21, 1863, Col. Joseph
Audenried, who was on staff of Gen. W. T. Sherman, during Civil War, and
after its close, accompanied him on visit to Egypt. He d. June 3, 1880, and is
buried at West Point. After his death his widow resided in Washington, D. C.
Anna Bush Colket, b. Phila. Aug. 18, 1847; m. (first) Jan. 5, 1870, Edward Cross-
well Gallup, who d. May 11, 1883; and (second) Nov. 12, 1891, Holstein De
Haven, They reside at Phila. and at Ardmore;
Henry Coffin Colket, b. in Phila., Aug. 6, 1849; d. March 14, 1889;
Ida Colket, b. Phila., Sept. 23, 1851 ; m. Nov. 9, 1882. Howard B. French, of Phila;
Emma Colket, d. inf.;
Charles Howard Colket, b. Phila., July 2, 1859; m. Apr. 12, 1887, Almira Little,
dau. of Richard Peterson, of Phila. He is member of Historical Society of Pa.;
the Genealogical Society of Pa.; Colonial Society of Pa.; and Society of Colonial
Wars; University Club; Union League, and Phila. Country Club, and takes lively
interest in genealogical and historical research. He is an experienced traveller
in foreign countries as well as in U. S., having been twice around the globe, and
in addition has visited Australia, Tasmania, and South America. C. Howard
and Almira Little (Peterson) Colket have issue, one son, viz: Tristram Coffin
Colket. b. May 31, 1896.
PEARS ALL FAMILY.
Henry Pearsall, a native of England, came to New England about the year
1640, and was one of the early English settlers of Hempstead, Long Island, where
he died in 1667. By his wife, Ann, he had sons, Nathaniel, Daniel, George and
Thomas, and at least two daughters.
Thomas Pearsall, son of Henry and Ann, of Hempstead, married Mary Sea-
man, daughter of Captain John Seaman, of a family still prominent in Long
Island. They were parents of several children among whom was,
Thomas Pearsall, born at Hempstead, in 171 5, died at Flushing, Long Island.
He was a member of the Society of Friends. He married (first) in 1754, Rachel
Powell, born in 1720, died 1759, daughter of John Powell, of Bethpage, Long
Island, by his wife Margaret Halleck, and granddaughter of Thomas Powell, of
Huntingdon and Bethpage, one of the proprietors of the latter, born October.
1641, died February 28, 1721, a number of whose descendants later became resi-
dents of Bucks and Philadelphia counties, Pennsylvania. Thomas and Rachel
(Powell) Pearsall had one child, Sarah, who died unmarried.
Thomas Pearsall married, (second) in 1763, Anne, daughter of Thomas Will-
iams, by his wife, Mary (Willits), widow of Henry Scudder, and daughter of
Richard Willits, of Jericho, by his second wife, Abigail, daughter of Thomas
Powell, of Bethpage, before mentioned. Richard Willits, the great-grandfather of
Anne (Williams) Pearsall, came from the west of England, and was one of the
earliest settlers of Lewesham, later Jericho, Long Island. He married Mary
Washbourne, born 1629, died February 17, 1713, daughter of William and Jane
Washboume, early settlers at Oyster Bay, Long Island, and they were the parents
of the following children: Thomas Willits, born 1650, married Dinah Townsend ;
Hope Willits, born 1652, married Mercy Langdon ; John Willits, born 1655, d. s. p. ;
Richard, above mentioned; and Mary, born 1662, married John Fry.
Richard Willits, of Jericho, fourth son of Richard and Mary (Washbourne)
Willits, born December 25, 1660, died May 14, 1703; married (first) Abigail
Bowne, and second Abigail Powell, daughter of Thomas of Bethpage, the latter
being mother of Mary, wife of Thomas Williams and mother of Anne (Williams)
Pearsall, second wife of Thomas Pearsall.
Thomas Pearsall and his family resided at Bethpage until 1786, when he was
granted a certificate from the Friends Meeting there for himself, his wife Anne,
and their eight children, to the Meeting at Flushing, Long Island, where his
descendants have since resided.
Issue of Thomas and Anne (Williams) Pearsall: â€”
Samuel, b. in 1764; m. Margaret Hicks, of the prominent Hicks family of Long
Island, b. 1767, d. 1833;
Rachel, b. 1765; m. in 1785, Samuel, son of John and Elizabeth Willis;
Jacob, b. 1767;
Edmund, b. 1768; m. in 1794, Rachel Willits;
Mary, b. 1770;
Esther, b. 1772; m. Gilbert Lawrence;
Amy, b. 1773; m. Henry Lawrence;
Robert, b. 1776; m. 1797, Elizabeth Collins, of whom presently.
Robert Pearsall, of Flushing, born at Bethpage, 1776, was reared at Flush-
ing. He married in 1797, Elizabeth Collins, born December 13, 1776, died
November 11, 1857, daughter of Isaac Collins, the veteran printer of Trenton,
New Jersey and New York, by his wife Rachel Budd, an account of whom and
their descendants is hereto attached.
Issue of Robert and Elizabeth (Collins) Pearsall: â€”
Robert, b. Nov. 9, 1798; d. Jan. 23, 1866; of whom presently;
Rachel C, b. Dec. 29, 1800; d. Aug. 2. 1873; ni. .Apr. 12, 1821, John Jay, of Phila.,
son of John and Guilelma Maria (Morris) Smith, and grandson of Hon. John
Smith, of Phila., and Burlington, N. J., by his wife Hannah, dau of James Logan,
Provincial Sec, etc. (See Logan Family; also Morris Family in this work);
Mary, b. Oct. 20, 1802; d. Aug. 24, 1886, unm.;
Rebecca Grellet, b. June 18, 1805; d. Jan. 20, 1864; m. Oct. 20, 1827. Dr. Samuel
George Morton, of Phila., famous physician and scholar;
Elizabeth, b. Sept. 16. 1812; d. June I2, 1829.
Robert Pearsall, eldest son of Robert and Elizabeth (Collins) Pearsall, of
Flushing, Long Island, born November 9, 1798, died January 23, 1866. in Phila-
delphia, married, (first) January 5, 1825, Ann Shoemaker. They had issue:
Elizabeth Pearsall, b. Oct. 6, 1825; d. June 13, 1827:
Robert Pearsall, b. Nov. 25, 1827; d. Jan. 5, 1849;
Henry Pearsall, b. May 6, 1830; d. July 9, 1831 ;
Francis Pearsall, b. May i, 1832; d. Oct. 5, 1883;
Sarah Pearsall, b. Feb. 20, 1834; d. Feb. 3, 1833;
William Pearsall, b. Feb. 24, 1836; m. Nov. 2, 1861, Hannah M. Parrish.
Robert Pearsall married (second) December 28, 1842, Emily, daughter of
Jonathan and Rebecca (Jenks) Fell, of Philadelphia, born November 20, 181 1.
died January 31, 1847. They had issue: â€”
Emily Elizabeth Pearsall, b. Feb. 13, 1844; m. Oct. 28, 1863, Charles Poultney Daw-
son, of Phila., son of Mordecai Lewis Dawson, by his wife Elizabeth Poultney.
Robert Pearsall married, (third) May 23, 1849, Eleanor H., daughter of John
H. Warder, a prominent merchant of Philadelphia, of the firm of John Warder &
Sons, later Warder & Brothers, one of the oldest and largest importing mercan-
tile houses of Philadelphia, for a period of nearly a century, having been estab-
lished by Jeremiah Warder, the grandfather of John H. Warder, about 1750.
WiLLOUGHBY Ward, the first American ancestor of Eleanor H. Warder, the
third wife of Robert Pearsall, came to Pennsylvania from the Isle of Wight about
the year 1699, accompanied by his second wife and at least three children by a
former marriage, viz, Solomon, Willoughby and Rachel, who married Samuel
Baker, of Bucks county, son of Henry and Margaret Baker, in 1703. On Febru-
ary 16, 1702, Samuel Carpenter of Philadelphia, as executor of Phineas Pem-
berton, conveyed to "Willoughby Warder, late of the Isle of Wight, in the King-
dom of England, but now of the County of Bucks, in the Province of Pennsyl-
vania, Yeoman," "Grove Place" the 300-acre plantation in Bucks county surveyed
to James Harrison and Phineas Pemberton in 1683, and patented to Phineas
Pemberton as "rightful heir of said James Harrison, deceased" October ig, 1691.
In 1710 Willoughby Warder purchased an additional tract of seventy-two and a
half acres in Bristol township, which he conveyed to John Kirk, April i, 1728.
i4o6 PEARS ALL
The "Grove Place" he conveyed to his son Solomon, February i8, 1721-22. After
the latter date he probably resided with his son Solomon. He was commissioned a
justice of Bucks county on March 6, 1708, and re-commissioned, March 3, 1710,
May 13, 1715, and December 30, 1715, probably serving for the whole period
successively from his first commission, as there are a number of years for which
there was no record of commissions issued.
According to the Journal of Thomas Chalkley, the distinguished travelling
Friend, his widow Mary was living in 1736, at the age of ninety-two years, but
she did not join in the deed of 1728. Willoughby Warder, Sr., is said to have died
in 1731 at an advanced age. He was a son of William Warder mentioned in
Besse's "Sufferings of the Quakers" as being one of thirty-seven Quakers sent to
prison, May, 1684, for meeting together in Southwark, London. Willoughby
Warder was a signer of the marriage certificate of Richard Warder, of Chichester,
Sussex, England, and Ann, daughter of John Lee, of Guildford, Surrey, who were
married lomo. 8, 1672, "at the house of Richard Deane in the Park, Nicholasses
Parish, in Guildford." This Richard and Ann (Lee) Warder came to Philadel-
phia, where Ann died August 28, 171 1, and Richard, January 15, 1720-21. Their
son, John, married Agnes Righton in 1709, and died October 14, 1711 ; their only
child died in 1714. in which year the widow Agnes married Samuel Stretch.
Richard Warder, son of Richard and Ann. married Rebecca Poole in 1723, but is
not known to have left issue surviving him.
The Warder family is supposed to have been an ancient and honorable one in
England, a copy of their coat-of-arms was bequeathed by the will of William S.
Warder, uncle of Mrs. Eleanor Pearsall, to his brother Jeremiah in 1831, with
the statement that he procured it in Ipswich, Suffolk. England, where the family
had been long seated.
Willoughby Warder was twice married, and his children were all by his first
wife, whose name has not been ascertained. He married (second) at Devonshire
House, London, June 11, 1696, Mary (Gibbs), widow of John Howell, and she is
the widow who is referred to by Thomas Chalkley.
Solomon Warder, son of Willoughby, who accompanied him to America in
1699, married at Philadelphia in the same year Elizabeth Howell, with whom he
had declared intentions of marriage in the Isle of Wight, and who accompanied
him to America. They had children â€” Joseph, Willoughby, Anne, who married John
Cross, Rachel, who married, (first) John Clark, of Falls, and (second) James
Carruthers, with whom she removed to Virginia.
Joseph Warder purchased "Grove Place" of his brother and sisters and died in
1775 without living issue. Nothing is known of Willoughby Warder, son of
Solomon, and the only known descendants of Willoughby Warder Sr. are the
descendants of Jeremiah, the only child of Willoughby Jr.
Willoughby Warder, Jr., son of Willoughby, accompanied his father, brother
and sister to Pennsylvania in 1699. He married April 13, 1710, at Philadelphia
Friends Meeting, Sarah, daughter of John Bowyer, a Philadelphia merchant, and
settled in Bucks county. In the same year Isaac Atkinson conveyed to Willoughby
Warder and his wife Sarah, jointly one hundred and fifty acres of land in Bristol
township. His wife died soon after the birth of their only child, Jeremiah, and he
married (second) Mary , who survived him. He died in Makefield town-
ship, Bucks county, March, 1728.
PEARS ALL 1407
Jeremiah Warder, only child of Willoughby Warder, Jr., by his first wife
Sarah Bowyer, born in Bucks county, January i, 171 1, came to Philadelphia in his
boyhood and learned the trade of a hatter, later engaging extensively in the mer-
cantile trade and founding the house of J. Warder & Son, one of the largest
importing firms of the city. He acquired considerable real estate in the city and
resided on the west side of Third street, old number 12, which was the family
residence for three generations. Jeremiah Warder died there, January 3, 1783.
He married April 13, 1735, Mary Head, born at St. Edmondsbury, England, April
13, 1714, died in Philadelphia March 8, 1803, daughter of John Head, an eminent
merchant of Philadelphia.
Issue of Jeremiah and Mary (Head) Warder:
John Warder, b. Jan. 6, 1736-7; d. Apr. 27, 1737;
Lydia. b. Jan. 13, 1737-8; d. Jan. 19, 1776; m. Dec. 27, 1757, Richard Parker, mer-
chant of Phila., son of Richard Parker of Darby;
John Warder, b. July 19, 1739; d. July 14, 1740;
Sarah Warder, b. Nov. i, 1740; d. Dec. 5, 1744;
Joseph Warder, b. May 25, 1742; d. May 27, 1742;
Rebecca Warder, b. April II, 1743; d. Feb. 9, 1805; m. Dec. 18, 1766, Thomas May-