Julia Lewis, m. Ephraim Clark;
Ellen Jane Lewis, m. (first), i860, T. M. Cash, (second). 1873, D. C. Jackson.
Sarah Claypoole Lewis, born 1829, married, October 11, 1849, Thomas Neil-
1450 CLAY POOLE
son, of Philadelphia. She is a member of Philadelphia Chapter, No. 288, Society
of the Colonial Dames of America, and a member of the Philadelphia Chapter,
13,715, Daughters of the American Revolution, by right of descent from Captain
Abraham George Claypoole, before mentioned.
Issue of Thomas and Sarah Claypoole (Lcivis) Ncitson:
William Delaware, b. July 31, 1850:
Robert Henry, d. March 22, 1894; m. Emily Souder Linnard, and had issue:
Dorothy L., b. April 27, i8g2.
Sarah, d. July 10, 1893;
Thomas Rundall Neilson, M. D., b. Oct. 29, 1857; m. Louisa Fetterall, and had issue;
Thomas Rundall, Jr., b. Oct. 31, 1901.
Lewis, b. Sept. 30, i860; m., Feb. 8, 1893, Clara Augusta Rosengarten, and had issue;
Harry R., b. Dec. 6, 1893;
Sarah Claypoole, b. March 28, 1897.
Emma Florence, b. Sept. 4, 1873; unm.;
Mary Alice Lewis, b. July 31, 1876;
Frederick Brooke, b. Sept. 28, 1879; m., 1902, Mary Stannard Keller, and had issue;
Mary Sarah, b. Oct. 20, 1903.
Brinton, compounded from two Celtic words, brin, a hill, and ton, toun, tun or
dun, an enclosed or fortified camp or fort, or in short a town, gave the name to a
number of parishes in different parts of England, from which in turn the holders
of the ancient manors, out of which these parishes were formed, derived their sur-
names. In the same manner the domain of Brienton, on the right bank of the
Seine in Normandy, gave the name to the noble family of "de Brienton," who were,
however, in no way connected with the Brinton family of England, with which
this narrative is concerned. The family from which the Pennsylvania family of
Brinton derives its descent, took its name from the parish of Brinton, later cor-
rupted into Brimpton, in southern Berkshire; a fertile tract of about fifteen hun-
dred acres in the angle of the little rivers of Auburn and Kennett. According to
the Domesday Book of William the Conqueror, compiled in the eleventh century,
this parish was held in part by Ralph de Mortimer, one of William's most power-
ful Barons, who was a blood relation of his liege lord, and received from him over
one hundred lordships.
Earl Mortimer conferred his Manor of Brinton on one of his Norman follow-
ers,who took from it his name, being known as Robert de Brinton, of Brinton.
county of Berks. This Robert de Brinton, who flourished about 1150, married
Eva, daughter and heiress of Hamo, of Longford, in Staffordshire, and acquired
in right of her, the Manor of Longford, Shropshire, the estate of Church-Eaton-
cum-Orslow, in Staft'ordshire, and Mid-Aston, in Oxfordshire. He died about
1 185, leaving two sons — Adam and John; his widow marrying (second), in 1190,
or 1 191, Walter de Wetfield, who died in 1215.
Adam de Brinton. eldest son of Robert and Eva, entered into possession of
his father's several estates ; but, being an ardent supporter of the Magna Charta,
came in for a share of the vengeance of King John, who deprived him of his lands
by a royal writ, dated September 15, 1216, and conferred them upon his younger
brother, John de Brinton; but on the accession of Henry HL, that monarch under
date of November 4, 121 7, reinvested Adam in his domain. He died in 1235,
aged nearly seventy years, and was succeeded by his son,
Adam de Bkixtox, second of the name, who was invested with the estates of
his father, January 26, 1236, and in 1240, held in fee of Longford, in Shropshire,
as well as Church-Eaton and Orslow, in Staffordshire, Middle Aston, in Oxford-
shire, and Brinton, in Berkshire. In 1260-61 he was appointed Commissioner,
with Thomas de Roshal and Hoel de Madoc, to meet Llewellyn, Prince of Wales,
at the Ford of Montgomery, to negotiate a treaty with him on behalf of the Crown.
He died June, 1274, and was succeeded by his son,
Adam de Brinton, third of the name, then over thirty years of age, whose
wife's name was Maud. In the summer of 1277, he was summoned for service
against Llewellyn, and being a Knight of the realm, attended in person the muster
held July i, 1277. In 1287, he was appointed "Conservator of the Peace" for
Berkshire, and was again summoned in 1297 to appear with horses and arms at
London, on July 17. for service "beyond the seas," under King Edward, who then
contemplated an incursion into France. In 1301 he was summoned to muster at
Berwick-on-Tweed, to attack the Scots. He represented Berkshire in 1300 as a
Knight, and as "Lord of the Manor of Brinton" held, twice a year, free court of
jurisdiction at the manor house for the trial of offences, etc. He was succeeded in
May, 1 31 5, by
John de Brinton, his eldest son, born 1287, who is mentioned in a list of land-
holders in 1316, as Lord of Brinton and Wasing, an adjoining parish on the south;
of Middle Aston, Oxford; Church- Eaton, Stafford; and Longford, Shropshire.
He was Sheriff of Oxford and Berkshire, 1319-22, and again 1327-28. In 1324 he
was ordered to seize, in the King's name, goods and chattels belonging to aliens
in Oxfordshire. He sat in Parliament as Knight of Berks, 1327, and in 1359, was
appointed one of the twelve gentleman of Shropshire to collect, arm and drill the
adult male inhabitants to protect the realm in the absence of the King beyond the
=eas. He was the last of the family to hold the undivided right in the lands in-
herited by the de Brintons from Eva, heiress of Longford. He having conveyed
Longford to his son, Thomas de Brinton, and Isabella, his wife, 1375, and she
surviving him held it by right of survivorship, and he leaving no issue it passed
out of the family. He, however, held by inheritance the other estates of his
father, John de Brinton, that of Church-Eaton-cum-Orslow, was claimed by his
next of kin and was the subject of litigation for many years, being finally ad-
judged to the family of de Brinton, and held in 1464, by one John Brynton. The
estate of Brinton, in Berks, however, passed out of the family after the death of
John de Brinton, father of Thomas, and the family seem to have settled perma-
nently in Staffordshire, and as indicated by the record of the holder of the estate
of Church-Eaton-cum-Orslow, as "John Brynton" dropped the "de," and were
thereafter known only as Brinton.
William Brinton, the Quaker ancestor of the Pennsylvania family of the name,
living at the little village of Nether Gournall, in the parish of Sedgely, Stafford-
shire, but seven miles from Church-Eaton-cum-Orslow, held by John Brynton,
in 1464, but two generations at most before his time doubtless came of the same
family, but no records have been discovered to form the connecting link.
William Brinton, born about 1630, came to Pennsylvania, in 1684, from the
village of Nether Gournall. parish of Sedgley, county Stafford, England. He
came of an ancient family of Staffordshire. He became a convert to the doctrines
of the Society of Friends when a young man, and was married according their
form, in 1659, to Ann Bagley, daughter of Edward Bagley, a Friend of the same
vicinity. After her death, in Pennsylvania, 1699, he wrote a memorial of her,
which was in part as follows : "As to the family she came of they were not of
the meanest rank as to worldly account ; her father's name was Edward Bagley ;
he was accounted a very honest and loving man ; he died about fifty years ago.
Her mother became an honest Friend and so continued till the day of her death.
She remained a widow all the days of her life after the death of her husband,
which was above thirty years. * * This is the 40th year since we were married."
William Brinton, like many other of the early Friends, suffered persecution for
conscience sake. He was fined in 1683, and had goods to a considerable value
taken from him for standing fast to his faith. In the spring of 1684, with his
wife and son, William he embarked for Pennsylvania, leaving his three daughters,
Ann, Esther and Elizabeth, in England, where they married and followed him to
.America, iater. Landing on the west bank of the Delaware, in Brandywine Hun-
dred, New Castle county, he pushed back into the unbroken forest and erected a
temporary shelter, in what became Birmingham township, Chester (now Dela-
ware) county, in which they spent the winter. In the spring he erected a log cabin
and effected a small clearing, and eventually received patents for several hundred
acres in that vicinity and in Concord township, adjoining. The home tract of
four hundred and fifty acres was surveyed to him August 5, 1685, as well as an-
other tract of like size on the Brandywine, which he later conveyed to his sons-in-
law, John Willis and Hugh Harry, in 1695. He was a member of Concord Month-
ly Meeting, and at a Quarterly Meeting held gmo. 3, 1690, "it being moved to this
Meeting that Concord First-day Meetings be every fourth first-day at William
Brinton's in Birmingham, beginning the 23d of this month, also the fourth day
following if this meeting see fit."
Ann, wife of William Brinton, died in 1699, and he did not long survive her;
his will, dated 6mo. 20, 1699, being proven December i, 1700.
Issue of William and Ann (Bagley) Brinton:
-Ann, m.. June 18. 1684, at a Friends' Meeting, at Stourbridge, John Bennett, of Overley,
CO. Worcester, England, and came to Pa. soon after, settling in Birmingham. He was
a member of Provincial .Assembly, 1703-05;
Esther, m. in England, John Willis, b. in London, Jan. 6, 1668, son of Henry and Mary
(Peace) Willis, early settlers on L. I., and came to Pa. in 1692, settling first in Birm-
ingham, and later in Thornbury;
Elizabeth, m. at Chichester Meeting, Chester co., Pa.. March i. 1686, Hugh Harry; she
d. without male issue;
VViLLi.Mi, Jr., b. 1666; of whom presently.
WiLLi.vM Brinton, Jr., born m Staffordshire, England, 1666, accompanied his
parents to the wilderness of Birmingham township, Chester county, when a youth
of eighteen years, and assisted in founding a home there. In 1697, his father
conveyed to him the homestead farm, upon which he erected a stone house, still
standing, about three-fourths of a mile south of Dilworthstown, on the gable end
of which still appears the initials of his and his wife's names and the date of erection,
1704. He was an elder of Birmingham Meeting, and trustee of the land on which it
was erected. He took considerable interest in provincial affairs and was a mem-
ber of Assembly in 1714 and 1721. He was buried at Birmingham, October 17,
1751, aged eighty-five years. He married, December 9, 1690, Jane Thatcher,
daughter of Richard and Jane Thatcher, who had settled near the Brintons, in
Birmingham. She was born December 17, 1670, and died December 17, 1755.
Like her husband, she was an esteemed member of Birmingham Meeting, and
accompanied Elizabeth Webb on a religious visit to New England, 1724.
Issue of William and Jane ( Thatcher ) Brinton:
Joseph, b. Jan. 13, 1692; bur. Dec. 18. 1751; m. (first) Mary Peirce, (second) Mary
Elgar; of whom presently;
William, b. Aug. 25, 1694: bur. March, 1761: m. (first), April 26, 1716, Hannah Buller,
(second), July 9, 1724, .'Sizuba Townsend, (third), July, 1734, Cecily Chamberlain;
Edward, b. Feb. 12, 1704-5; d- March 17, 1779: m.. June 17, 1724, Hannah, dau. of George
and Ann (Gainor) Peirce. of Thornbury; he lived and d. on a portion of the home-
stead, and was many years a Justice of the Peace;
Mary, b. April I, 1708; d. Dec. 13, 1774; m., Nov. 8. 1739, Daniel Corbit:
Ann, b. April 19, 1710; m., April 29, 1731, Samuel Bettle;
John, b. July 4, 1715; d. May, 1748; m., April 21, 1736, Hannah Vernon.
Joseph Brinton, eldest son of William and Jane, born January 13, 1692, was
first commissioned a Justice of Chester county, February, 1729, and regularly re-
commissioned thereafter until his death in 1751, when he was succeeded by his
brother, Edward. He was also elected to the Provincial Assembly, 172Q, and
served in that body ten consecutive years. He married (first), December 6, 171 1.
Mary Peirce, daughter of George Peirce, a native of Winscom, county Somerset,
England, who married, February i, 1679, Ann Gainor, of Thornbury, Gloucester-
shire, and in 1684, with her and their three small children migrated to Pennsyl-
vania, and settled in what he named Thornbury township, Chester county, after
the home of his wife in England. He took up a tract of land there and became
prominent in the colony, as have been his descendants of the colony and state to
the present time. He represented Chester county in the Provincial Assembly in
1706. Joseph Brinton married (second), April 14, 1748, Mary Elgar, but his thir-
teen children were all by his first wife.
George Brinton, youngest son of Joseph and Mary (Peirce) Brinton, born
December 27, 1839, succeeded his father in the tenure of the old homestead and
resided there all his life. His house and farm, as well as the other part of the
original homestead, then occupied by his aged uncle, 'Squire Edward Brinton, was
ravaged by the British soldiers after the battle of Brandy wine, fought on an ad-
joining farm in 1777. George Brinton died in 1798. He married, in 1760. Chris-
tiana, daughter of William and Mary (Hunter) Hill, married in Ireland, who
came to Pennsylvania in 1722, and the following year settled on a large tract of
land in Middletown, Chester county. Mary (Hunter) Hill was the daughter of
John Hunter, native of Durham, England, and a descendant of the Hunters of
Meadowsly Hall, Gateshead, Durham, who removed to Ireland ; married at Rath-
drum, county Wicklow, in 1693, Margaret Albin, and later came to Chester coun-
ty, where he died in 1734, aged seventy years.
Issue of George and Christiana (Hill) Brinton:
Mary, b. April 20, 1761 ; m. Jacob Jacobs;
Joseph, b. June 27, 1764: d. Nov. 20, 1839; m.. Oct. 17, 1792, Rebecca Crozer, (second),
Dec. 24, 1795. Sarah Taylor, (third), Jan. 15, 1700, Sibylla Kirk; of whom later;
Phebe, b. Jan. 29, 1767; m. James Dilworth;
Caleb Hill, b. April i, 1770; m. Hannah Bowen ;
John Hill Brinton, b. Aug. 18, 1772; d. May 7, 1827: m., April 30, 1795, Sarah Steimitz;
of whom presently ;
Thomas Hill, b. Dec. 21, 1774; d. Oct. 14, 1831, m. Catharine Gross Odenheimer;
Hannah, b. Oct. 13, 1776; m. (first) John Norris, (second) William Frederick:
Jane, b. Sept. 19, 1780; d. May 29. 1854: m., Oct. 22, 1801, Joseph Trimble.
John Hill Brinton, third son of George and Christiana (Hill) Brinton, bom
in Chester county, on the old paternal homestead in Birmingham township, entered
University of Pennsylvania, 1787, and graduated with degree of Master of Arts,
July 8, 1790. He studied law in the office of Jonathan Dickinsin Segeant, was ad-
mitted to the Philadelphia Bar, August 13, 1793, and practiced for a number of
years, after which he retired from active practice and turned his attention to the
purchase and improvement of real estate in the city. He died at his residence.
on Arch street, west of Sixth, where the Arch Street Theatre now stands, May 7,
1827. He married, April 30, 1795, Sarah, daughter of Daniel Steimitz, of Phila-
delphia. He was a trustee of the University of Pennsylvania, 1806-22, and a
member of the American Philosophical Society from 1810 to his death.
Issitc of Joint Hill and Sarah (Stcimitz) Brintoii:
Catharine, b. June 4. 1796; d. April 22, 1S66; ni., May 16, 1716, Edward Ingersoll;
John Steimitz, b. July 20, 1798; d. 1826; graduated at Yale, 1816; studied at Oxford
Univ.; admitted to Bar of Philadelphia; m., Feb. 26, 1825, Adelaide Gouverneur, of
Elizabeth Steimitz, b. March 15, 1800; m., Sept. 14, 1820, George McClellan, M. D.;
Ann M., b. Sept. 5, 1801 ; m., Oct. 4, 1832, Charles S. Coxe;
George, b. March 7, 1804; d. June 30, 1858; m. Mary Margaret Smith; of whom presently;
Geppele, b. June 17, 1805; d. March i, 1806;
Sarah, b. Feb. 10, 1808; m., Dec. 29, 1831, William White;
Mary, b. July 10. 1809; m., Oct. 25, 1838. Clement S. Phillips.
George Brinton, son of John Hill and Sarah (Steimitz) Brinton, born in
Philadelphia, March 7, 1804. entered University of Pennsylvania, 1819, and grad-
uated with degree of Bachelor of Arts, class of 1822. He married Mary Mar-
garet, daughter of Charles Smith, LL. D., by his wife, Mary, daughter Judge
Jasper Yeates, and lived all his life in the city of Philadelphia, dying there June
Issue of George and Mary Margaret (Smith) Brinton:
John Hill Brinton, b., Phila., May 21, 1832; graduated at Univ. of Pa., 1846, and from
Jefferson Medical College, 1852, fellow of College of Physicians, 1856; lecturer on
operative surgery, Univ. of Pa., 1853-61 ; delivered "Miitter lectures" on surgical patho-
log}', 1869; Surgeon and Brigade Surgeon, U. S. Volunteers, 1861-5; surgeon, St. Jo-
seph's Hospital, 1859; Pennsylvania Hospital, 1867-1882; professor practical and clin-
ical surgery, Jefferson Medical College, 1882; m. Sarah Ward;
Mary Yeates Brinton ;
Sarah Frederica Brinton, m. Dr. J. M. DaCosta, of Jefferson Medical College;
Margaret Yeates Brinton, m. Nathaniel Chapman Mitchell, Esq., of Philadelphia Bar.
Issue of N . Chapman and Margaret Yeates (Brinton) Mitchell:
Mary Brinton Mitchell ;
John Kearsley Mitchell;
Elizabeth Kearsley Mitchell.
Joseph Hill Brinton, eldest son of George and Christiana (Hill) Brinton,
bom on the old family homestead in Birmingham, Chester county, June 27, 1764,
spent the greater part of his life on one of his father's farms in Thornbury, Ches-
ter county, where the old stone house, erected by him in 1804, is occupied by his
grandson of the same name. As a lad of thirteen years he was present at the
battle of Brandywine, fought in the immediate neighborhood of his home, Sep-
tember II, 1777. Eluding the vigilance of his parents he witnessed the bloody
conflict, and near the close of the day was caught by a British officer, who was so
much pleased with him that he accompanied him to the home of his parents after
the battle, and proposed to them to allow the boy to return with him to England at
the close of the war. On parting with his quondam friend, the latter presented
him with a handsome sword, captured during the engagement, from an American
officer. Years after this sword was discovered to have been that of Colonel
Frazer, and in 1842 was returned to his family.
Joseph Hill Brinton was an energetic and successful business man, and acquir-
ing a cotnpetence, spent the closing years of his life in West Chester. He was a
zealous JefFersonian Democrat, voting for Jefferson for the presidency in 1796,
to succeed Washington, and thereafter supporting the nominees of the party
founded by him. When Philadelphia was threatened, after the burning of Wash-
ington, 1814, he enlisted in a militia company called the American Grays, and was
stationed at Marcus Hook for three months. He contracted the typhus fever
while there, and his daughter, Rebecca, contracting the contagious disease from
him, died of it. On the muster rolls of the troops stationed at Marcus Hook were
also his brother, Thomas Hill Brinton, and five cousins of the name. He died of
heart disease, November 20, 1839.
Joseph Hill married three times, (first), October 17, 1792, Rebecca Crozer,
(second), December 24, 1795, Sarah Taylor, (third), January 15, 1800, Sibylla
Kirk, who was mother of his four children. She was the daughter of William and
Sibylla (Davis) Kirk, and granddaughter of Alphonsus Kirk, who came to Amer-
ica in 1689, from Lurgan, county Armagh, province of Ulster, Ireland, where a
branch of the English family of Kirk had settled two generations earlier. He
brought with him a certificate from a Friends' Meeting held at the house of John
Robinson, in Armagh, dated lomo. 9, 1688, to which was appended a certificate
signed by his parents, Roger and Elizabeth Kirk, giving their consent to his re-
moval, "and if it be his fortune to marry we give our consent, providing it be with
a Friend in unity with Friends according to the order of Truth." His father,
Roger Kirk, was fined, with other Armagh Friends, in 1675, for refusing to take
the oath as a juror. Alphonsus Kirk, with the parental blessing and certificate of
good character from people of his faith, left the place of his nativity, and took
passage from Belfast, Ireland, January 11, 1688-9, landed at Jamestown, Virginia,
March 12, 1689, and arrived at New Castle, May 29, 1689. It was his "fortune to
marry," and "according to the order of Truth," as, on February 23, 1692-93, he
united himself with Abigail Sharpley, at the house of her father, Adam Sharpley,
on Brandywine creek, in New Castle county, where Adam had settled in 1682.
Alphonsus Kirk died September 7, 1745, and his wife in 1748. They were parents
of eleven children, of whom William, born March 4, 1708-09, took a certificate
from Newark Meeting in New Castle county, to Goshen, Chester county, July 31,
1731, and settled in that locality. He was twice married and had nineteen chil-
dren, ten by the first wife and nine by the second. His second wife was Sibylla
(Davis) Williams, widow of Edward Williams, who died in Pikeland, Chester
county, 1748. Her father, John Davis, was a Welshman, who settled in Uwchlan,
Chester county, prior to 171 5, and died there in 1736, by his wife, Elizabeth,
daughter of Daniel and Sibyll (Price) Harris, Daniel Harris, or Harry, being a
brother of Hugh Harry, who married Elizabeth Brinton, daughter of William,
the emigrant, as noted in the preceding narrative. He was a native of the parish
of Machanlleth, Montgomeryshire, Wales, and brought a certificate from the
Friends' Meeting at Dogelly, Merionethshire, Wales, and came to Pennsylvania
with his brother, Hugh, in the "Vine," from Liverpool, arriving in Philadelphia,
September 17, 1684. He settled in Radnor township, and married, February 4,
1690, Sibyll Price, daughter of David Price, who with his family emigrated from
Brecknockshire, Wales, and settled in Radnor in 1690. bringing a certificate from
Haverford Meeting of Friends, in Wales.
Of the nine children of William and Sibylla (Davis) Kirk, Isaiah married Eliz-
abeth Richards; Rebecca married James Embree; Ruth married Benjamin Price;
Rachel married Philip Price (an account of whose ancestry and descendants is
given in this work) ; and Sibylla married Joseph Hill Brinton.
Issue of Joseph Hill and Sibylla (Kirk) Brinton:
Lewis Brinton, b. July 16, 1804; of whom presently;
Milton Brinton, b. Feb. 22, 1808; d. Sept. 2, 1829, on the Island of St. Thomas, whither
he had gone for his health; was a medical student at time of his death;
Christiana Brinton, m. William H. Dillingham:
Sarah Brinton, m. David McConkey.
Lewis Brinton, eldest son of Joseph Hill and Sibylla (Kirk) Brinton, born
July 16, 1804, succeeded to his father's farm and resided thereon until his death,
July 14, 1869. He married, October 16, 1828, Ann Garrison, daughter of Hon.
Daniel Garrison, of Salem county. New Jersey, a member of Congress from that
district, and a descendant of Jacob and Christiana Garrison, who settled in Salem
Issue of Lezvis and Ann (Garrison) Brinton:
Christiana Brinton, b. Jan. 3, 1830; m., Oct. 23, 1852, George Brinton;
Frederick Cruse Brinton, b. June 9, 1832; a farmer near West Chester; m., Oct. 27, 1859,
Joseph Hill Brinton, b. Aug. s, 1834; graduate of Yale Univ.; succeeded to old home-
stead in Thornbury; m., Jan. I, 1863, Mary Herr;
Daniel Garrison Brinton, b. May 13, 1837; of whom presently.
Daniel Garrison Brinton, M. D., was the youngest son of Lewis Brinton, by
his wife, Ann Garrison, and was born May 13, 1837. He graduated from Yale
University, class of 1858; and from JefTerson Medical College, Philadelphia, i860.
On receiving his medical diploma he went abroad and spent a year in extending
his studies in Paris and Heidelberg before entering upon the active practice of
his profession. He entered the United States Volunteer service, February 9, 1863,
as a Surgeon, with the rank of Major of Volunteers, and served until the close of
the Civil War, being brevetted, August 15, 1865, Lieutenant-Colonel of Volun-
teers, "for faithful and meritorious services."
In 1867, Dr. Brinton accepted the editorship of the Medical and Surgical Re-
porter, then the only weekly medical journal in Philadelphia, and held that posi-
tion twenty years. In 1884 he was appointed professor of ethnology at the Acad-
emy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, and in 1886, professor of .'Vmerican