Joseph Foster.

Oxford men & their colleges online

. (page 29 of 143)
Online LibraryJoseph FosterOxford men & their colleges → online text (page 29 of 143)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


•Spencer, Hugh
•Pedder, Arthur L.
•Gardner, John A.
•Inman, Arnold
fRisley, John S.
fSchiller, Ferdinand P. M.
JCoombs, Frank H.
Prince Christian Victor of

Schleswig-Holstein
Walker, Joseph C.
Paine, Herbert N.
Constantinidi Anthony
Bennett, Reginald A. R.
Caldwell, William H. M.
Hulse, Richard L.
Liddell, George W.
Graham, Arthur H.
Yorke, Philip C.
Merry, William J. C.
Grant, Arthur J.
Nickalls, Guy
Burges, Frank
Moon, Cecil G.
Hessey, James D.
Hamerton, Laurence C.
Blakelock, Albert
Parker, Arthur P.
Lindley, Lennox H.
Spottiswoode, A. G.
Wills, Arthur J. H.
Hichens, Arthur S.



333



MAGDALEN COMMONERS.



334



1886 [continued].

Broadbent, Arthur C.
Palmer, Herbert
Percival, John G.
Hemmerde, Charles L
Luttrell, Claude M. F.
Shore, Thomas E. T.
Randolph, Joseph R.
Knapp, John M.
Shepherd, Herbert H.
Grant, William F. F.
Sowler, Thomas
Dauglish, Maurice J.
Budworth, Richard T. D.
Long, Frank
Foster, Balthazar S. S.

1887.

*Moore, Arthur S. W.
*Hallett, Cecil W. C.
*Ferard, John E.
*Inge, Charles C.
*Wood, Walter J.
*Childs, James F.
*Fairbairn, John S.
fChambers, Arthur J. (86)
fAndrews, Arthur W.
fCastle, Harold C. P.
fStewart, Haldane C.
^Ferguson, Arthur F.
JCarrington, John
Porter- Burrall, Stephen E.
Currey, Edmund S.
Shaw, William A.
Halsey, Walter J.
Foster, Charles B.
Fisher, Cecil

Thesiger, Hon. Fredk. J. N.
Hilliard, Edward
Paget, Richard A. S.
Debenham, Horace B.
Billson, Edgar L.
Heilgers, Frank F.
Wilson, Herbert
Buckley, St. John M.
Gilliatt, Charles R.
James, Walter J.
Mansel, Algernon L.
Fair, John St. F.
Amphlett, George L.
Parker, Francis W.
Pilkington, Ernest S.
Street, Oscar W.
Probyn, Percy C.
Johnson, Francis E.
Waterman, Arthur N.
Ashtown, Frederic, Baron
Marshall, Arthur W. M.
Rowe, Reginald P. P.
Parry, Oswald H. (f88)



♦Mahaffy, Arthur W.
*Carter, Reginald C.
■"Hamilton, William S.
*Jellev, Frank E.
♦Giinther, Robert W. T.
*Stainer, Edward
*Mowbray, Archibald J. H.
♦Ward, Arthur
fOrd, Christopher C.
fBeckwith, Edward G. A.
fHaines, George H.
fBremridge, Richard H. (*i
jjackson, Archibald



jTapsfield, Hugh A.
Long, Samuel C.
Williams, John W.
Willett, Basil W.
Gilliat, Walter E.
Mackenzie, Hector G. G. J.
Loughborough, James, Lord
Jones, Frank E. T.
Mallam, Ernest
Smith, John G.
Burra, Henry C.
Foxcroft, Charles T.
Medlicott, Robert S.
Hichens, Peverell S.
Blood, John N.
Reid, David K.
Mitchell, Robert A.
Edgington, Charles
Hamersley, Herbert
Tomlinson, Robert G,
Milford, Walter S.
Clegg, William G.
Hall, Harry W. W. (Joi)
Acton, Hon. Richard, M.D.
Fremantle, Selwyn H.
Foster, Arthur
Lawrence, Henry S.
Boyd, Charles C.
Clouston, Joseph S.



*Talbot, John E.
♦Bebb, Eustace W.
*Osborn, Percy L.
*Wright, Arthur C.
*Hewby, Louis J.
*du-Bouisson, John S.
*Gray, Ernest A. S.
*Holmes, John William
fPerkins, Jocelyn H. T.
^Marshall, Francis D. (87)
Parker, Standish G. J.
Scott, Godfrey F. C. B.
Armitstead, Lawrence
Ord, Arthur B. (*8o)
Shaw, Neville F.
Pilcher, Alexander M. W.
Clarke, Arthur H. P.
Probyn, Hubert E. H.
Inderwick, Walter A.
Hankey, Spencer T.
Meade, Francis H.
Browning, Frederick H.
Robertson, Glasgow C. P.
Davidson, William D.
Wickham, Reginald W.
Davy, Henry W.
Capel-Cure, Walter R.
Irvine, John D. P.
Douglas, Lord Alfred B.
Barker, Geoffrey C.
Encombe, Viscount
Gellibrand, Walter. T.
Ebden, Frederic R.
Pott, George S.
Savory, Albert
Case, Thomas B.



Whitfield, George Canney, Thomas S. A.

Sturdy, William A.

Bailey, Herbert C. 1892.

Halsey, Frederick

Brooke, Herbert O. W. G. foo *Bunting, Sidney P.

Erskine, Hon. William A. F. *Lambert, George B.

Leveson-Gower, Fredk. A. G. *Nunn, Harold



Stewart, Francis H.
Du-Cane, Edmund A.
Thomas, Edward A.
Potter, Walter B.
D'Oyly-Carte, Lucas
Jones, Charles S.
James, Cuthbert
Kaye, William A.
Armstrong, Francis P.
Aspinall, Algernon E.
Wheen, Richard
Otto, John E.
Peel, John D.
Nickalls, Vivian
Maitland, David B.
fSimcox, Arthur H. A. (89)
Buzzard, Edward F.
Bramwell, Frederick C.
Poole, William M.
Royden, Thomas
McGrath, George R. B.
Lovat, Lord
Hoare, Edward B.
Gray, Herbert E.
Lindley, Francis O.
Lake, Kenneth A.
Jones, Frederick W.
Boger, Alnod
Cotton, Hugh B.
Saunders, Herbert S.
Balcarres, Lord



♦Kiddle, Arthur W.
♦Harrison, William M.
♦Wolfe, Benjamin S.
♦Fennell, Charles H.
+Ogle, Arthur
) -j-Teasdale, Kenneth J. M.
fSwann, Frederic G. P.



♦Magnus, Laurie
♦Rogers, George H.
♦Phelps, Edwin A.
♦Headlam, Cecil
♦Drewitt, John A. J.
♦Perry, John F.
♦Burnham, Alfred L.
♦Eichholz, Oreste
♦Hill, Ernest G.
■f-Gore, Gerard H.
-(-Holland, William, E. S.
fWalden, Allen F.
JShoppee, Alfred G. (89)
Best, Thomas A. V.
Gilbertson, Francis W.
Hichens, James B.
Fell, Godfrey B. H.
Hazell, Edgar
Venables, William A.
Erskine, Alan D.
Mortimer, John H.
Raphael, Richard H.
Armitstead, Edward
Hewitt, Copley D.
Bros, Henry A.
Hilliard, Francis P. T.
Christie, James A.
Dobson, Louis L.
Longmore, Philip R.
Barr-Smith, Robert
Foster, Gerald H.
Dobell, Walter D.
Tew, Edward G.
Wills, Francis J.
Walker, John A.
Hedgeland, Harold C.
Hop wood, Walter



*Monson, William J.
♦Bosworth-Smith, B. N.
♦Eden, Charles G.
♦Sherwood, EdwardC.
♦Page, Alfred F.
♦Jex-Blake, Arthur J.
♦Stampa, Lelio
fSamuel, Frank V.
•j-Hayton, Edward C.
JMercer, Edward G.
Druce, Francis
McDermot, Edward T.
Case, William S.
Waterlow, Mark
Odling, George S.
Stancomb, William
Salmon, Thomas
Wells, Richard B. P.
Walker, Edward R.
Woodcock, John N.
Johnson, Ivor L.
Larken, Hubert
Pilkington, Malcolm C.
Fuller, Arthur R.
Hardy, Guy C.
Arkwright, Harold A
Corbet, Hugh D.
Fox, Robert B.
Cookson, Bryan
Spranger, Francis J. G.
Burnaby- Atkins, John
Bowman, Paget M.
Raikes, George B.
Phelps, Joseph H.
Ashby, Harold F.
Northey, Charles H.
Morres, Edward R.
Baker, Harold V.
Macdonald, John R. M.
Leveson-Gower, Henry D. G.





at
■3




XL— BRASENOSE COLLEGE.




UIDED in some measure by historical associations extending over 250 years,
William Smyth, Bishop of Lincoln, and Mr. (afterwards Sir) Richard
Sutton founded this College in 1509, as is recorded in a modern copy of
the original foundation stone which is placed over the entrance to the stair-
case in the south-west corner of the old quadrangle, bearing the following
inscription : —

" Anno Christi 1509 et Regis Henrici octavi primo |
Nomine divino lincoln | presul quoque sutton.
Hanc posu I ere petram regis ad imperium |
primo die Iunii. "
The College occupies the site of several ancient Halls, and took its name
from Biasenose Hall which stood in the position now occupied by the old
gateway of the College. The earliest record of the name of Brasenose is in
an Inquisition of the year 1278 which contains these words : ' Item eadem
Universitas habet quandam aliam domum quae vocatur Brasenose cum
quatuor Scholis ' (i.e. lecture rooms). As to the origin of the name there
has been much controversy, but it is now generally agreed that the most
obvious derivation is the right one, and that the Hall was so called from a
brazen nose forming the knocker or handle on its door. In the year 1334 there was a migration of students from
Oxford to Stamford in Lincolnshire, and when Edward III. issued a mandate to compel them to return, a certain
' Philippus obsonator Eneanasensis' was one of the thirty seven recalcitrants who refused to obey the order. It
may be inferred that among the students who found their way to Stamford were members of Brasenose Hall, and
they probably gave the name of their Hall to a similar institution at Stamford. Certain it is that an ancient Hall
existed there, from time immemorial called Brasenose, of which there still remains a fourteenth century archway,
originally bearing a brazen nose. It is believed that this emblem was carried away from Oxford to Stamford by
the migrating students of Brasenose Hall in 1334. In 1890 it became the property of the College by the purchase
of the Stamford ' Brasenose,' and it is now placed in the College Dining Hall. Brasenose College grew
out of Brasenose Hall, and this fact is recorded in the official title of the society, as given e.g. in the College
statutes of 1522 : — ' The King's Haule and Colledge of Brasennose in Oxford.' The original foundation
was for a Principal and twelve Fellows, who were all to be, if possible, natives of the diocese of Coventry and
Lichfield, with a preference for natives of Lancashire and Cheshire, and especially natives of Prescot in Lancashire
[the birthplace of William Smyth], and Prestbury in Cheshire [the seat of the Sutton family and probably the
birthplace of Richard Sutton], Failing fit candidates from the diocese aforesaid, the Principal and Fellows were to
be natives of the diocese of Lincoln, and failing this, to be taken ' de aptioribus et habilioribus qui in Universitate
praedicta reperiri poterunt.' Thus originated the connection of the College with the counties of Lancashire and
Cheshire ; it was further cemented by the subsequent foundation of two Fellowships with local qualifications, and
by the endowment of various Scholarships especially (1) by Queen Elizabeth and Alexander Nowell (1572-
J S79)> f° r scholars from the school of Middleton in Lancashire and other schools in the same county ; and
(2) by the Duchess of Somerset (from 1679 to 1686), partly for scholars educated at the Grammar School
of Manchester. The Exhibitions founded by Mr. William Hulme in 1691 also tended to confirm this con-
nection in two ways: (1) The Exhibitioners were nominated (till 1881 when a new scheme for the Hulmeian
Exhibitions framed by the Charity Commissioners came into operation) by three Lancashire clergymen viz.,
the Warden (afterwards Dean) of Manchester, and the Rectors of Prestwich and Bury ; (2) a surplus on the
Hulme trust was partly employed in the purchase of advowsons of ecclesiastical benefices to be held by former
Hulmeian Exhibitioners, and twenty-two out of the twenty-eight livings thus purchased are in Lancashire or
Cheshire. This local connection has had considerable influence upon the fortunes of the College, the link with the
Manchester Grammar School having been especially important. It may be noted that three Principals of the
College at least (if not more) were Manchester school boys, viz., William Gwyn (1770), Frodsham Hodson (1809-
1822), and Ashurst Turner Gilbert (1822- 1842.) All local qualifications in the case of the Principal and the

[ 337—338 ] Z




THE STAMFORD BRASENOSE.



34*



BRASENOSE COLLEGE.



342



Fellows were abolished by the Oxford University
Commission of 1854, but the Somerset Scholarships
are still confined in the first instance to scholars from
the Grammar Schools of Manchester and Marlborough
and the Cathedral School of Hereford.

Eight Fellowships were added to those of the
original foundation by various benefactors in the
course of the 16th century, making a total of twenty,
but by the Oxford University Commission of 1854
this number was reduced to fifteen, four of the
Fellowships being converted into Scholarships, and
the emoluments of a fifth being applied to purposes
connected with the Professoriate of the University.
Under the statutes made by the University Commis-
sioners in 1881 the College is governed by a Principal
and twelve Fellows, exclusive of supernumerary
Fellows and of the Fellowship held ex-officio by the
Camden Professor of Ancient History. Additional
Fellowships not exceeding six in number are to be
established when the corporate revenues shall be
sufficient for the purpose. In 1890 alterations of
statute were approved by Her Majesty in Council,
enabling the Principal and Fellows— (1) to elect to a
supernumerary Fellowship without emolument any
former member of the Governing Body who has
served the College in the office of Principal, Vice-
Principal, Bursar or Tutor ; (2) to elect to Honorary
Fellowships distinguished persons who are, or have
been, members of the College.

Open Scholarships of the annual value of £?>o are
provided by a charge of at least ^900 a year upon
the corporate revenues. The Somerset Scholarships,
mentioned above, vary in value from ^80 to ^"52 per
annum. In 1842 three Exhibitions were founded by
the three Misses Colquitt of Green Bank in the
county of Lancaster, to assist in the education of
undergraduate members of Brasenose preparing to
enter Holy Orders. Their annual value is £$0. In
1875 an open classical Scholarship of the value of
,£100 per annum was founded in memory of the
Kev. John Watson, Fellow of the College 1813-32.
The Hulme Exhibitions are under the existing
Scheme twenty in number. Twelve are Junior Ex-
hibitions of the annual value of ^80, awarded after a
competitive examination, and open to candidates of
not more than twenty years of age. Eight are Senior
Exhibitions of the annual value of ^130, awarded,
ordinarily after competitive examination, to members
of the College who have been in residence for not less
than six nor more than thirteen terms, and whose
names have been placed in the Honours Class List at
the First Public Examination in the University.

The dates of the College buildings areas follows : —
The buildings in the old quadrangle including the
Hall, the present Senior Common Room (originally
the Chapel), and the first Library, were begun in
1509, but consisted of only two storeys. The attic
storey was added early in the seventeenth century.
The Chapel and the second (and present) Library
were built between 1656 and 1666, in which latter
year the Chapel was consecrated and dedicated to St.
Chad and St. Hugh, representing the sees of Lichfield
and Lincoln, of which William Smyth, the founder,
was successively bishop. There is a tradition that
the Chapel was designed by Sir Christopher Wren.
Its architectural interest lies in the attempt to har-
monise the classical and gothic styles. The roof is
said to have been taken from the Chapel of St.
Mary's College (now Frewin Hall). No furthe
additions were made to the buildings till about the
middle of last century, when, so far as can be



ascertained, an unsightly 'lath and plaster' build-
ing was erected in the back quadrangle, to
which another similar block was added in 1810,
while in 1807 what had been an open cloister
under the second Library was converted into sets
of College rooms. In 1771 the Principal whose
lodgings had been, as was originally the usual custom,
over the gateway of the College, moved into a house
in the High Street, thus leaving his former rooms free
for the use of the College. In these different ways
accommodation was found for the increasing numbers
of the undergraduates. Meantime the College had
long meditated the project of building a frontage on
the High Street, and with a view to this had
purchased most of the houses between St. Mary's
and All Saints' Churches in 1736. The first
design for the contemplated buildings was that of
Nicholas Hawkesmoore, which is engraved in the
Oxford Almanack of 1723. This, however, came to
nothing, as was also the case with the designs furnished
by Sir John Soane in 1807 and by Philip Hardwick in
1 8 10. The desire of the College for a frontage and
an outlet on the High Street was not destined to be
realised till more than seventy years after the latter
date, when new buildings, which eventually displaced
the two additional blocks already referred to, were
begun, the architect being Mr. Thomas Graham
Jackson. These buildings were erected gradually
between 1882 and 1889, when a portion of the frontage
on the High Street, including the new Principal's house,
was completed. The completion of the remainder is
now, it may be hoped, only a question of time.

As to the characteristics of the College it is allow-
able to quote the words of a writer who has a special
knowledge of its history. " They may be described
as, first and foremost, a marked but not exclusive
predilection for the exercises and amusements of out-
door life, the result of sound bodies and minds, and in
part, no doubt, of a long connection with old county
families of a high type. And next a certain per-
tinacity, perseverance, power of endurance, dogged-
ness, patriotism, solidarity, or by whatever other
name the spirit may be called which leads men to do
what they are doing with all their might, to undergo
training and discipline for the sake of the College, and
hang together like a cluster of bees in view of a
common object." Brasenose is especially and justly
proud of its distinction "on the river." Since the
year 1837 when the records of the "eights" become
complete up to the present date (December, 1892),
the Brasenose boat has started head of the river on
112 days, the next highest number being that of
University (63 days) ; the boat has never been lower
than ninth. In the "torpids" since 1852 when they
were first rowed in the Lent term the Brasenose boat
has started head of the river 91 days, the next highest
number being that of Exeter (59 days) ; the boat has
never been lower than eighth in the torpids. It may,
however, be pointed out, that it would be a very
limited and unhistorical view which dwelt only on the
performances of the College in matters athletic. It
will be found e.g. that in the twenty years succeeding
the first institution of the class lists in literae humani-
ores (1802- 1 821), during the Principalshipsof William
Cleaver and Frodsham Hodson, Brasenose was very
well represented in the schools. No College can
compete during this period with Christ Church which
far surpasses all others in this respect, but Brasenose
is second to Christ Church, numbering twenty first-
class men in literae humaniores (counting those " qui
examinatoribus se maxime commendaverunt " during



343



BRASENOSE COLLEGE.



344



the years 1802-6 as being in the first class), though it
is hard pressed by Oriel which is third with nineteen
first classmen in that school. An examination of the
lists of the University prizemen during the same period
will show that Brasenose was well to the front in
these also. Again, the Brasenose Calendar (1888,
supplement 1889), compiled by the Rev. W. E.
Buckley and Mr. Falconer M adan, gives a list of 509
Brasenose authors and bishops, of whom 152 are
prior to the death of Anthony Wood in 1695, the
remainder subsequent to that date. In reference to
this list it may be observed that on the death of Mr.
Buckley in 1 892, the College obtained the collection
ol books by Brasenose authors (about 1500 volumes),
which he had been forming for fifty years ; these are
now placed in the College Library together with other
Brasenose books already there, and it is intended to
keep up the collection by adding all other books or
pamphlets written by Brasenose men which the
College is able to procure.

Among the most distinguished alumni of the Col-
lege the following may be mentioned : —

Alexander Nowell, Fellow of Brasenose 1536,
Principal 1595, Dean of St. Paul's 1560; John Foxe,
the " Martyrologist," matriculated c. 1533 ; Thomas
Egerton, afterwards Baron Ellesmere and Earl of
Bridgewater, matriculated c. 1556, Lord Chancellor
1603, Chancellor of the University of Oxford 1610-16;
Sir Henry Savile, matriculated c. 1561, Warden of
Merton College 1585-1621, founder of the Savilian
Professorships of Geometry and Astronomy ; Robert
Burton, the author of the Anatomy of Melancholy,
matriculated 1593, student of Christ Church 1599 ;
Sir John Spelman, the antiquary, who came to study
in Brasenose about 1641 and died there in 1643 ;
Elias Ashmole, matriculated 1644, founder of the
Ashmolean Museum ; Sir William Petty, Fellow of
Brasenose 1650, Professor of Anatomy at Oxford
1 65 1 ; Dr. John Latham, matriculated 1778, Presi-

* Two MS. authorities in the Herald



dent of the Royal College of Physicians 181 3- 19 ;
Reginald Heber, matriculated 1800, Bishop of Cal-
cutta 1823-6 ; Richard Harris Barham, the author
of the Ingoldsby Legends, matriculated 1807 ; Henry
Hart Milman, matriculated 1810, Fellow of Brasenose
1 814- 1 9, Professor of Poetry at Oxford 1 821 -31,
Dean of St. Paul's 1849-68 ; Frederick William
Robertson, matriculated 1837, minister of Trinity
Chapel, Brighton, 1847-53.

The College Hall contains portraits of the following
persons : —

The two Founders; John, Lord Mordaunt, founder
of three scholarships (1571) ; Joyce Frankland, foun-
dress of one Fellowship, four scholarships and other
benefactions ( 1 586-98) ; Baron Ellesmere ; Robert
Burton ; Sarah, Duchess of Somerset, foundress of
the Somerset Scholarships ; Dr. John Latham ; and
several Principals of the College, viz. : — Alexander
Nowell (1595); Samuel Radcliffe (1614-48) ; Thomas
Yate (1648 and 1660-81) ; Francis Yarborough
(1745-70) ; William Cleaver (1785- 1809) ; Frodsham
Hodson (1809-22) ; Ashurst Turner Gilbert (1822-42);
Edward Hartopp Cradock (1853-86).

The Arms or Badge of the College may be thus
described : —The escutcheon divided into three parts
paleways, the centre or, thereon an escutcheon charged
with the arms of the See of Lincoln (gules, two lions
passant gardant in pale or, on a chief azure Our Lady
crowned, sitting on a tombstone issuant from the chief,
in her dexter arm the Infant Jesus, in her sinister a
sceptre, all or), ensigned with a mitre* all proper :
the dexter side argent, a chevron sable between three
roses gules seeded or barbed vert, being the arms of
the Founder William Smyth : on the sinister side the
arms of Sir Richard Sutton, of Prestbury, knight, viz.,
quarterly first and fourth, argent a chevron between
three bugle-horns stringed sable, for Sutton, second
and third, argent a chevron between three crosses
crosslet sable, for Southworlh.



s college give the mitre as azure,



C. B. HEBERDEN.



CoUEGIVM /^NEl^ASfl.




view BY bereblock, 1566. [Facsimile from Hearne.}



345



PRINCIPALS OF BRASENOSE.



346



VISITOR.

The Bishop of Lincoln.



PRINCIPALS OF BRASENOSE HALL.



Mentioned.

1435- Long, William, B.A.

1436. Marcham, R. (or Markham), M.A.

I43 8 - Grey, Roger, proctor 1442, then a member
of University college.

1444- Marcham, R., again.

I45 r - Curth, William (or Church), M.A., died
1461.

1461. Braggys, William, M.A.

1461. Wryxham, William, M.A. ; canon of

Lichfield in 1494, then s.t.p. See Le
Neve, i. 623.

1462. Braggys, William, again.



Mentioned.

1462. MolinetlX, John, again ; proctor 1458,
perhaps canon of Lichfield 148 1. See
Le Neve, i. 620.
In 1468 the hall was repaired by
1469. Sutton, William, M.A., who occurs also as
late as 1483, proctor 1467, vice-chan-
cellor 1480,1,2, S.T.P.
1501.") Croston, Edmund, M.A. ; died 27 Jan.,
J> 1507-8, brass St. Mary's church. See
1503. ) Churtori s " Lives of the Founders."

1502. "J Form'by, John, M.A. , resigned 24 Aug.,
I 5°5- y 1510; B.D. 20 June, 1514, canon of
1508-10. J Lincoln 1512. Le Neve, ii. 223.

1510-12. Smyth, Matthew, B.D. See next notice.



PRINCIPALS OF BRASENOSE COLLEGE.



1. Smyth, Matthew, B.A., principal of Brasenose
hall 1510-12, and of Brasenose coll., 1510; B.A.
30 June, 1505 ; fellow Oriel 27 April, 1506 ;
migrated to Brasenose, M.A. suppld. 24 Feb.,
1513-14, B.D. disp. 20 Oct., 1519, D.D. supld.
1519; canon of Lincoln 1508; died 6 Feb., 1547-8,
buried in St. Mary's church. See Foster's Alutnni
Oxofiienses, 1377.

2. Hawarden, John, B.D., principal 27 Feb. , 1547-8,
resigned 21 Jan., 1564, from Lancashire; B.A.
suppld. 14 Oct., 1515, M.A. 26 Jan., 1519-20, B.D.
12 March, 1528-9 ; rector of Steeple Aston, Oxon.
See A I. Ox. 674.

3. Blanchard, Thomas, M.A., principal Feb.,
1654-5, resigned 13 Feb., 1573; from Yorkshire;
B.A. 27 April, 1540, M.A. 18 March, 1543-4; vicar
of Speen 1549, and rector of Boxford, 1560 (both)
Berks, and rector of Quainton, Bucks, 1568. See
A I. Ox. 137.

4. Harris, Richard, M.A. , principal 16 Feb., 1573-4,
resigned 22 Aug., 1595; from Herefordshire ; B.A.
3 Nov., 1558, fellow, M.A. 26 June, 1562; rector
of Kentchurch, co. Hereford, 1571, canon of Here-
ford 1575. See A I. Ox. 658.

5. Nowell, Alexander, M.A. , principal 6 Sept. to
14 Dec, 1595 ; is. John, of Great Merley, co. Lan-
caster; B.A. 29 May, 1536, fellow, M.A. 10 June,
1540, D.D. suppld. 10 June, 1578, created D.D.
1 Oct., 1595 ; headmaster Westminster school 1543-
55, canon of Westminster 1551-4, 1560-4, exiled at
Geneva, Zurich and Basle, temp. Q. Mary, canon of
Canterbury 1560-4, archdeacon 1560, and canon of



Online LibraryJoseph FosterOxford men & their colleges → online text (page 29 of 143)