and bilious fevers prevail. An intel-
ligent visiter, connected with the pub-
lic press, some years since gave to the
world an interesting sketch of a visit
to Mount Vernon, he remarks, " we
were conducted over long gravel
walks, bordered with box, which is
arranged and trimmed into the most
fanciful figures, and which at the age
of 20 years and upwards, still pos-
sesses the vigour and freshness of
youth. At the extremity of these ex-
tensive alleys and pleasure grounds,
ornamented with fruit trees and shrub-
bery, and clothed in perennial ver-
dure, stands two hot houses, and as
many green houses, situated in the
sunniest part of the garden, and shield-
ed from the northern winds by a long
range of wooden buildings, for the ac-
commodation of servants. From the
air of a frosty December morning, we
were suddenly introduced into the
tropical climate of these spacious
houses, where we long sauntered
among groves of the coffee tree, le-
mons and oranges, all in full bearing,
regailing our senses with the flowers
and odours of spring."
" One of the hot houses is appro-
priated entirely to rearing the pine
apple which grows in great perfec-
tion, long rows of which we saw in
a flourishing and luxuriant condition.
A stalk produces but a single apple,
which grows near the ground, in the
centre of a cluster of tall and spear-
shaped leaves. Many bushels of le-
mons and oranges of every variety
are annually grown, which besides
furnishing the family with a supply
of these fruits at all seasons, are dis-
tributed as a delicacy to their friends,
or used to administer to the comforts
of their neighbours in cases of sick-
ness. The coffee plant thrives well,
yields abundantly, and in quality is
said to be equal to the best Mocha.
The branches under which we walk-
ed were laden with the fruit, fast ad-
vancing -to maturity. Among the
more rare plants we saw the night
blooming cereus, the guava, from
which the jelly of that name is made,
alloes of a gigantic growth, the West
India plantain, the sweet cassia in
bloom, the prickley pear, and a thou-
sand others. They are all tastefully
arranged in large boxes made for the
purpose, and nurtured with unceasing
attention, requiring the constant ser-
vices of two assistants besides the
chief gardener. To the north of the
range of buildings before mentioned,
is an extensive kitchen garden, sur-
rounded with a hedge of cedar, so
regularly trimmed, as to present the
appearance of a verdant wall. At
every step in these pleasure grounds,
the thought occurred that the illus-
trious projector is no more. "There
was a garden, and in the garden, a
new sepulchre," says the Scripture^
The lesson on human pursuits and
human pleasures, inculcated by this
concise and beautiful narration of the
Evangelist, never struck me more
forcibly than when we left the gate,
and walked towards the tomb of
Washington. In passing the house,
the chamber in which he died was
pointed out to us ; and imagination
aided by these memorials, soon pre-
sented the whole scene in such dis-
tinct and vivid colors that we seemed
almost to follow his remains to the
grave. The family vault in which
the dust of the hero reposes, is at the
distance of perhaps 30 rods from the
house immediately upon the bank of
the river. A more romantic and pic-
turesque site for a tomb can scarcely
be imagined. Between it and the
Potomac, is a curtain of forest trees
covering the steep declivity to the
water's edge, breaking the glare of
the prospect, and yet affording glimpes
of the river, when the foliage is the
thickest. The tomb is surrounded
by several large native oaks, which
are venerable by their years, and
which annually strew the sepulchre
with autumnal leaves, furnishing" the
EASTERN VIRGINIAâ€” FAUaUIER.
most appropriate drapery for such a
place, and giving a still deeper im-
pression to the memento mori. Inter-
spersed among the oaks, and over
hanging the tomb, is a copse of red
cedar; but whether native or trans-
planted, I could not ascertain, its
ever-green boughs presents a fine
contrast to the hoary and leafless
branches of the oak ; and while the de-
ciduous foliage of the latter indicates
the decay of the body, the eternal ver-
dure of the former furnishes a beau-
jtiful emblem of the immortal spirit.
The sacred and symbolic cassia was
familiar to Washington, and perhaps
led to the selection of a spot where
the ever green flourished."
Pleasant Valley, P. V. 138 ms.
from R., and 30 ms. W. of W., situ-
ated on Little river turnpike road, 10
ins. above Fairfax C. H. It contains
10 dwelling houses, a tavern, store,
and blacksmith shop. Population 20.
Prospect Hill, P. O. 132 ms.
from R., and 9 W. of W,
Fauquier was created by the legislature in 1759, from a part of Prince
William. It is bounded N. by Loudoun, N. E. and E. by Prince William,
E. and S. E. by Stafford, S. and S. W. by the Rappahannock, which sepa-
rates it from Culpeper, and W. N. W. by the Blue Ridge, which separates
it from Frederick: â€” greatest length 45 ms. mean breadth 16, and area 720
sq. ms. â€” It extends in lat. from 38Â° 24' to 39Â° 02,' and in long, from 0Â° 32,'
to 1Â° 5' W. of W. G. This county possesses very valuable beds of mag-
nesia, soap stone, and several gold mines, worked upon an extensive scale.
The northern part of the county slopes north, and sends it waters to Goose
creek: but from the neighbourhood of Cobler mountain, near Salem, a ridge
runs to the S. E. extremity of the county, which divides its waters: those on
the N. E. side flowing N. E. into the Occoquan, and those on the S. W.
Sowing in a S. E. direction until they reach the Rappahannock. The sur-
face is agreeably diversified, and the soil when judiciously cultivated, sus-
ceptible of high improvement, and very productive. Population 1820,
23.103 â€” 1830, 26,038. Fauquier belongs to the 6th judicial circuit, and
3rd district. Taxes paid in 1833, $7,282 69â€” in 1834, on lots, $293 42â€”
land, $4,553 74â€”5,903 slaves, $1,475 75â€”7132 horses, $427 92â€”28
studs, $311 00â€”76 coaches, $191 50â€”52 carryalls, $62 26â€”35 gigs,
75. Total $7,344 28. No report of school commissioners.
TOWNS, VILLAGES, POST OFFICES, &c.
Arnold's Old Place, P. O. 129
ms. from R., and 7o from W.
Barnetts' Mills, P. O. 93 ms.
from R., and 68 from W., situated on
the north side of the Rappahannock
river, about 6 ms. above its junction
with the Rapid Ann. It contains 12
dwelling houses, a Presbyterian house
of worship, a mercantile store, an ex-
tensive flour manufacturing mill, 40
feet square, and 5 stories high, which
makes annually from 3 to 4000 bar-
rels of flour, a grist, and a saw mill
which saws from. 2 to 300,000 feet of
plank annually. The mechanical
pursuits are various, such as millers,
inill-wrights, coopers, boot and shoe
makers, blacksmiths, &.c. Popula-
The Rappahannock is at this place
100 yards wide, and is now being
made navigable for boats to Frede-
EASTERN VIRGINIAâ€” FAUQUIER
ricksburg,by the Rappahannock Com-
pany. The navigation is to extend
50 ms. above Barnett s mills, and will
greatly enhance the value of waiter
power at this and ether points on the
river. The water power at this
place is created by a dam 5 feet high,
situated half a mile above the mills,
and conveyed to them by a canal cut
in some places through the solid rock.
to the depth of 25 or 30 feet, the fall
gained by the dam and canal is 1c
feet. Tijere has recently been erectt d
at this place a stamping mill, for the
purpose of stamping gold ores, ob-
tained from a mine about half a milt
distant, worked by a company. The
ore of this mine is thought by expe-
rienced judges, to contain gold enough
to afford a good profit upon the in-
vestment necessary to keep the mine
in operation, â€” It is even said that ore
yielding fifty cents a bushel, may be
worked profitably â€” and piclcei ore
from this mine has yielded 83 per
bushel by actual assay. We learn
also -by a recent communication, that
the miners in searching for gold have
recently discovered a beautiful soap-
stone which has already become an
article of commerce, and is likely to
be very profitable, when the improve-
ments on the river shall have been
completed sufficiently for its trans-
Blackwell's Mill, 116 ms. N.
N. Wâ€ž of R., and 60 ms. S. W. by
W. of W., situated 6 ms. W. of War-
renton, 40 N. of Fredericksburg, and
50 ms. S. W. of Alexandria, on the
east side of Carter's Run, about 2 ms.
above its junction with the Rappa-
hannock, on the main road leading
from Warrenton to Chester's Gap; at
the end of the progressing improve-
ment of navigation, which, when com-
plete will make the mill, the main de-
posit of all the grain raised west of i + s
as far as the. Blue Ridge, a distance oi
18 ms, of fine wheat growing country.
This mill stands unrivalled in its sec-
tion cf country, for the immense
amount of wheat which it purchases.
it manufactures 30,000 bushels an-
nually. There is also a good saw
mill, with an abundance of pine timber
at hand, 1 general store, and 10 dwel-
ling houses. The country around is
densely populated ; â€” the soil suscep-
tible of high improvement, especially
by the use of clover and plaister.
Population at the mill 30.
Doddsville, P. O. 105 ms. from
R. and 68 from W.
Edgei-ieid, P. O. 105 ms. from R.
and 73 from W.
Elk Marsh, P. O. 101 ms. from
R. and 57 from W.â€” situated in the
southern part of the county, 22 ms.
N. W. ol Fredericksburg.
Elk Run Church, P. O. 90 ms.
from R. and 68 from W.â€” situated in
the S. E. part of the county, 20 ms.
N. N. W. of Fredericksburg.
Farkcwcvii.le, P. V. in N. W.
part of the county, 130 ms. from R.
and 64 W. of W. â€” situated en the
head waters of G.cose creek, 4 ms. be-
low Manassa's Gap. â€” It contains a
tavern, 2 mercantile stores, and a hcuso
of public worship free for all denomi-
nations. Population 20.
Fayetteville, P. O. situated 50
ms. S. W. of W., in the southern part
of the county.
Foxville, P. V. 108 ms. from R.
and 64 W. of W. â€” situated on the
banks of the Rappahannock, 30 ms.
from Fredericksburg. It contains 2
extensive manufacturing mills, 2 wool
carding machines, 1 mercantile store,
and several blacksmiths, and coopers.
Large quantities of good stale are
found in the neighborhood; in which
there is also a mineral spring â€” said
to be white sulphur â€” which is now a
place of considerable resort. â€” The
surrounding country is fertile and
thickly settled with intelligent and in-
Germantown, P. O. 95 ms. from
R. and 61 from W. â€” about the centre
of the county.
EASTERN VIRGINIAâ€” FAUQUIER.
Griggsby's Stoke, 127 ms. from
R. and 61 from W.
Lee's Sulphur Spring, on the
Rappahannock, near Thompson's
Falls, on the road from Warrenton
to Jeffersonton, in Culpeper. This
spring has been only known for a
few years, but has become exceeding-
ly popular, and attracts such a con-
course in summer, as to have induced
their enterprising- proprietor (John
Hancock Lee) to go to very great ex-
pense in erecting large, pleasant, and
commodious buildings; and laying out
the grounds with great beauty, taste,
and variety of ornamental trees, &c.
McRaeville, P. O. 127 ms. from
R. and 53 from W.
Morris vi lle, P. V. In the south-
ern part of the county. â€” 95 ms. from
R. and 63 from W. â€” situated on the
stas:e road which leads from Falmouth
to Washington, the county seat of
Rappahannock county. 19 ms. from
the former, 18 from Warrrenton, and
20 from Fredericksburg. It contains
a general store, tavern, hatter, tailor,
wheelwright, and blacksmith. â€” The
Baptists hold a monthly meeting at
this place. Population, 20 whites,
and 18 blacks.
New Baltimore. P. V. 122 ms.
from R. and 45 S. of W. from W â€”
situated in the eastern part of the
county, on the post road leading from
Warrenton to Alexandria, 5 miles
from the former. It contains 1 7 dwel-
ling houses, 1 nourishing Academy,
incorporated 5 years since by the Le-
gislature, and now in high estimation.,
2 mercantile stores, a tanyard, wheel-
wright, blacksmith, boot and shoe
factory, and 2 wheat fan factories on
an improved plan â€” A Colonization
Society, auxiliary to the State Society
has recently been formed. â€” In the
vicinity there is a Baptist house of
worship, called Broad Run meeting
house. Population 115 persons; of
whom 2 are physicians.
Oak Hill, P. O. 122 ms. from
R and 58 S, W. by W. of W.
Orleans, P. O. distances omitted
on the post office list.
Paris, P. V. 131 ms. from R. and
58 S. W. by W. of W.â€” situated in
the northern part of the count)-, at the
foot of Ashby's Gap, in the Blue
Ridge, and immediately at the junc-
tion of the roads leading from Alex-
andria and Fredericksburg to Win-
chester. â€” It contains 25 dwelling
houses, 3 mercantile stores, 1 house
of public worship, free for all deno-
minations, 1 common school, 2 sad-
dlers, 1 cabinet maker, 1 tailor, 1 tur-
ner, 2 smith shops. 1 wheat fan ma-
ker, 2 wagon makers, 1 chair maker,
and 3 boot and shoe factories. â€” This
village enjoys a pure atmosphere,
good water, and good health at all
seasons; a disease of a local charac-
ter has never been known to invade
it. â€” The people are intelligent and
industrious ; famed for their moral de-
portment and hospitality. â€” The prac-
tice of gaming and horse racing, once
the favorite amusements of the place
and its vicinity, have now entirely
gone out of vogue. The valley in
which Paris is located extends 5 or 6
miles southward of the village. The
land g( the surrounding country is
fertile, producing all the principle sta-
ples of the state, and worth at an ave-
rage price about twenty dollars an
acre, falling however in value as it
recedes from the mountain. Popula-
tion 200 persons; one of whom is a
Rectortown, P. V. 129 ms. from
R. and 53 S. W. by W. of W.â€” situ-
ated a mile to the S. E. of Goose
creek, in a very healthy and fertile
neighborhood. It contains 24 dwel-
ling houses, 1 Methodist house of
worship, 2 mercantile stores, I tavern,
1 saddler, 1 wagon maker, 3 black-
smiths, 1 cabinet maker, 1 boot and
shoemaker, 1 tailor, 3 extensive mer-
chant mills, 1 saw mill, and 1 carding
machine. Population 100; one phy-
Somerville, P. V S5 ms. from R,
EASTERN VIRGINIAâ€” FAUQUIER.
and 73 W. of W. â€” situated near the
S. E. border of the county, on the
main stage road leading from Fal-
mouth to Winchester, 19 ms. from
the former, 20 ms. S. E. of Warren-
ton, 19 from Brentsville, 7 N. W. of
Spottedville, and 5 S. E. of Elk Run;
and at the intersection of the roads
leading to those places. In the vi-
cinity of the post office, is one large
and flourishing male seminary, in
which is tausfht all the usual branches
of education taught in our schools,
and averaging generally from 60 to
80 pupils; a tavern, mercantile store,
blacksmith's shop, running several
forges, and a cotton gin. The coun-
try around is moderately fertile and
Salem, P. V. in the northern part
of the county, 117 ms, from R. and 63
W. of W. "This village is laid out
with one main street running E. and
"W. â€” nearly half a mile in length;
and two cross streets, as yet unim-
proved. â€” It is situated on the stage
road leadingf from Warrenton to Win-
Chester, 13 miles from the former, and
30 from the latter place, on a hand-
some ridge, which divides the waters
which flow through Goose creek into
the Potomac, from those which flow
into the Rappahannock. It contains
33 dwelling houses, 3 mercantile
stores, 1 Academy, used as a place of
public worship by all denominations,
until a large and handsome brick
meeting house, which is now being
erected, shall be completed, 1 common
school, 1 well organized Sunday
school, and 3 taverns. â€” The mecha-
nics are, saddlers, tailors, boot and
shoe makers, coach makers, wagon
makers, blacksmiths, bricklayers,
stone masons, plasterers and fancy-
wall painters, house-joiners, &c. The
principal article of trade is lumber,
great quantities of which are brought
from the country for some distance
round. There is a tri-weekly stage
running from Fredericksburg to Win-
chester, and a cross mail 3 times a
week from Buckland to this place.
Population 250 persons; of whom
one is a physician.
Walnut Branch, P. O. 1 1 1 ms.
from R. and 55 S. W. of W.
WARRENTON, P. V. and scat
of justice, 107 ms. from R. and 51 S.
W by W. of W., in lat. 38Â° 41' N. &
long. 0Â° 46* W. of W. Câ€” It is a beau-
tiful village situated near the centre of
the county; and contains (besides the
ordinary county buildings which are
spacious and handsome, and erected
at an expense estimated at $30,000,)
200 neat and closely built dwelling
houses, 3 houses of public worship,
Methodist, Presbyterian, and Episco-
palian, 4 primary schools, 3 taverns,
4 private boarding houses, 2 printing
offices, each issuing a weekly paper,
4 wheelwrights, 1 coach maker, 3
saddlers, 1 hatter, 2 boot and shoe
factories, 2 cabinet makers, 5 house
carpenters, 4 blacksmith shops, 2 tai-
lors, 2 clock and watch makers, 3 ba-
kers, 1 tanner and currier, 3 brewe-
ries, 1 tin plate worker, 2 milliners, 1
mantuamaker, 1 house and sign paint-
er, and 2 plough manufactories. This
village has a regular market, which
is held in a neat little building, the
upper part of which is used as a Toicn
Hall, Population 1300; of whom
3 are resident ministers, 9 attorneys,
and 8 physicians. The Winchester,
Fredericksburg, Alexandria, & Char-
lottesville, post roads intersect Gach
other at right angles in Warrenton,
which makes it quite a thorough-fare.
Many travellers going south prefer
this route as it gives them an oppor-
tunity of viewing the rich counties at
the foot of the Blue Ridge, Fauquier,
Culpeper, Orange, Albemarle, &c.
and of visiting the University of Vir-
ginia. There is an excellent McAd-
amised turnpike from Warrenton to
Count?/ Courts are h :ld on the 4,'h
Monday in every month; â€” Quarterly
in March. May, August, and Norcjn
EASTERN VIRGINIAâ€” FLUVANNA. 175
Judge Scott holds his Circuit icantile stores, a cooper's shop, black-
Superior Court of Law and Chancery! smith shop, and a boot and shoe fac-
on the 1st of April and September, tory: â€” on the east or Fauquier side
Weaver's Mill, P. O. 114 miles there are 3 dwelling houses, 1 grist
from R. and 59 S. W. by W. of W. and 1 saw mill. Population of the
Wheatley, P. V. 105 ms. from whole place 90. The Rappahannock
R. and 64 S. W. by W. of W. â€” situ- river is at this place 100 yards wide,
aled 25 miles above Fredericksburg, [and has in the distance of* a mile, a
upon the Rappahannock, which di-jfall of 44 feet, commencing above the
vides the town and throws a part into village and terminating below. This
Culpeper. â€” On the Culpeper sidethe Rappahannock Company will
there are 8 dwelling houses, 1 extensive! evade by a canal which they have
flour manufacturing mill, capable ofcommenced on the Fauquier side. â€”
grinding 50,000 bushels of wheat injVast quantities of building stone of
the ordinary grinding season, 1 cottonlexcellent quality, may be found on
gin, and wool-carding machine, 2mer-|both sides of the river.
Fluvanna was created by the Legislature in 17/7, from a part of Al-
bemarle county. â€” It is bounded N. by Louisa, W. by Albemarle, S. by
James river, which separates it from Buckingham, and E. partly by Gooch-
land, and partly by a bend of James river, separating it from Cumberland-
It is in shape a parallelogram, approaching to a square, its border in com-
mon with Albemaric is 26 miles, its mean breadth 16, â€” area 416 sq. miles.
It extends in lat. from 37Â° 40' to 37Â° 58' N. and in long, from 1Â° 12' to 1Â° 43'
W. of W. C. The Rivanna river enters it from Albemarle, and flowing
S. E. divides the county diagonal^, leaving nearly half on the north side,
and empties into James river at Columbia. The surface is for the most
part broken, but between the Rivanna and James there is a large tract of
barren, level land which runs for some distance into Albemarle. The soil
on the rivers is good â€” that on the James equal perhaps to any of the cele-
brated low grounds on that river. The lower part of the county, â€” included
in a line drawn from the mouth of little Bremo creek to the N. E. angle
of the county â€” has a dark greyish soil resembling disintegrated granite
which produces the best cheicing tobacco in the state. An eminent tobacco
manufacturer of Richmond has offered the inhabitants of this district to
take all of their tobacco, (lugs included,) at $10 a hundred, and pay all
costs and charges for its delivery in Richmond.
The vein of gold which runs through Louisa, Goochland and Fluvanna
into Buckingham, is worked near Palmyra, the county seat of Fluvanna.
Population 1820, 6,704â€” in 1830, 8,221.â€” This county' belongs to the 11th
judicial circuit and 6th district. Taxes paid in 1832-3, $2092 18 â€” in
1833-4, on lots, $37 31â€” land, $1316 83â€”2093 slaves, $523 25â€”1625
horses, $97 56â€”7 studs, $84 00â€”10 coaches, $26 25â€” 20 carryalls, $24
05â€”30 gigs, $23 35. Total, $2132 60. Expended in educating poor
children in 1832, $166 83â€” in 1833, $359 73.
EASTERN VIRGINIAâ€” FRANKLIN.
TOWNS, VILLAGES, POST OFFICES, &c.
Columbia, P. V. 52 ms. N. W. by
W. of R. and 122 from W.â€” situated
on the left bank of the Rivanna., at its
junction with the James. â€” It contains
20 dwelling houses, 4 mercantile
stores, 2 taverns, 1 house of public
worship, free for all denominations, 1
common school, 2 tailors, 3 boot and
shoe factories, 2 cabinet makers, 1
wheelwright, 1 house carpenter, and
Superior Court of Law and Chance-
ry on the 1st of April and Septem-
Union Mills, 63 ms. N. W. by
W. of R. and 122 from W., situated
on the left bank of the Rivanna, on
the post road, 25 miles from Colum-
bia, and 16 from Charlottesville, in
the midst of beautiful mountain and
river scenerj^. At this place there
1 smith's shop. Population 85 whites, are located, a merchant mill, grist and
one of whom is a physician, 54 free jsaw mill, and a cotton factory, called
the Virginia Union Factory. â€”
This factory owned by Messrs. Tim-
berlake and Magruder, is a large and
commodious brick building : it runs
1500 spindles, besides the necessary
machinery for carding, &c. â€” it con-
colored persons, and 38 slaves. To-
Laurel Spring, P. O. 61 ms. N
W. by W. of R. and from W.
Lindsey's Cross Roads, P. O
80 ms. W. of R. and 123 from W.
PALMYRA, P. V. and seat of tains 12 power looms, in which seve-
justice, 59 ms. N. W. by W. of R
and 136 S. W. of W., in lat. 37Â° 47
K and long. 1Â° 29' W. of W. C-
situated on the Rivanna river, 1 4 ms
from its junction with the James
ral hundred yards of substantial cloth
are made per day. The cotton yarn
of this establishment is in high repute
throughout the state. More than 100
operatives are employed by the enter-
Besides the county buildings which prising proprietors in the different de-
are of brick, and have been recently
erected, it contains 14 dwelling hous-
partments of their establishment.
The place contains comfortable houses
es, 1 methodist house of worship, 1 for the accommodation of 18 or 20
mercantile store, 1 tavern, 1 merchant, families, a lanyard, and a methodist
grist and saw mill, 1 woollen factory, jhouse of worship: besides the elegant
2 saddlers, 2 tailors, 1 boot and shoe dwellings of the proprietors.
factory, 1 tanyard, 1 cabinet maker,
and several carpenters and coopers.
A handsome and permanent bridge is
erected across the Rivanna. This
village is thriving.
Comity Courts are held on the 4th
Monday in every month; â€” Quarter-
ly in March, June, August, and No-
Judge Field holds his Circuit
Wilmington, P. V. 55 ms. N.
W. by W. of R. and 132 from W.,
situated on Rivanna river, 14 miles
above its mouth. There are located
here 2 taverns, 2 mercantile stores,
and a blacksmith shop.
Winn's Tavern, P. O. 68 ms. N.
W. by W. of R. and 142 from W. in
the western part of the county.
Franklin was created by the Legislature, in 1784, from parts of Bed-
ford and Henry counties. It lies S. W. of Staunton river, and is bounded
by the county of Botetourt on the N., Bedford on the N. E. and E., Pitt-
sylvania on the S. E., Henry on the S., Patrick on the S. W., by the Blue