a post office, and derives its name
from the circumstance of a few fami-
lies of Indians having been once -set-
tled on this river (Little Kanawha)
about one mile and a quarter below
this place, whose head man or chief
was called Capt Bull; and hence the
name of Bull Town was given to
their little village of wigwams, and
the spot on which they lived yet re-
tains the name, although the Indians
have abandoned it since about the
years 1771-2 or 3. There is now no
vestige left on the spot where once
their little town stood. The first set-
tlement made at the place by a white
man, was in 1800 or 1801, then 15
or 20 ms. from any other inhabitants.
It is now occupied as a farm by Mr.
John Conrod, his dwelling house be-
ing several hundred yards from it.
The site on which the village stood is
a little eminence projecting from the
spur of a ridge into a spacious rich
bottom, a part of which was cultivated ]
by the Indians. There is a salt work j
established here, on a limited scale,
called the Bull Town Salt Works!
These works manufacture from 15 j
to 20 bushels of salt per day. This ;
neighborhood is but thinly settled,
having only 1 country grist and saw
mill at the falls, 2-Â£ ms. above this
place. These falls are about 1 1 or
12 feet, and form a valuable seat for
iron works, there being an abundance
of iron ore in the immediate vicinity,
lying idle for want of capital and en-
terprize. In the vicinity are 2 tan-
yards. The mail arrives at thio P.
O. once a week.
Collins' Settlement, P. O. 266
ms. from R. and the same distance
from W., situated in the western part
of the county.
French Creek, P. O. 276 ms.
W. cf R. and 276 from W. This
creek empties into Buchannan river.
On the banks of this creek is situated
French creek settlement, comprising
about 8 ms. square, containing 66
scattering dwelling houses, occupied
by an industrious and enterprizing
people, who have emigrated from the
New England States within the last
15 years. There are 1 house of pub-
lic worship, (Presbyterian) 1 tanyard,
a number of wheelwrights, house car-
penters, cabinet makers and joiners,
and 1 temperance, 1 tract and 1 bible
society. The principal pursuit of
the inhabitants is agriculture. This
settlement is divided into 5 school
districts, where the common branches
of English education are taught 6
months in the year. The state of
education, being far superior to that
which exists in the country adjacent.
Flat Woods P. O. 304 ms. from
R. and 304 W. of W., situated in the
western part of the county.
Freeman's Creek, P. O. 259 ms.
from R. and 245 W. of W,
Hackersville, P. O. 260 ms.
from R. and 246 W. of W. This is
merely a post office, situated on Hack-
er's creek, 7 ms. from Weston, 137
from Clarksburg, 50 from the Ohio
river, and 35 from the Little Kanaw-
ha Salt Works. The neighborhood
is thickly settled. The lands are of
the best quality with extensive tracts
of arable land suitable for meadows,
on which large quantities of cattle are'
grazed and raised for .market annual-
ly. The surrounding country is hil-
ly, and very productive, â€” abounding
with the best of stone coal, and well
timbered with walnut, poplar, sugar
maple, beach and white oak. In the
vicinity are 3 houses of public wor-
ship, 2 Methodist and 1 Baptist, 4
njiseeilaneotis stores, 1 tanyard and
WESTERN VIRGINIAâ€” LOGAN.
various mechanics, and several mills, ms. enters into the Little Kanawha,
Leadi.vg Creek, P. O. equi-dis- about 15 ms. above its confluence
tant 267 ms. from R. and W., situated with the Ohio. Hughes' river is
in the northern part of the county, 18 navigable for more than 50 ms. from
ms. from Weston. Leading creek is[ its mouth, and sufficiently large for
a small stream w T hich empties into
floating vessels of considerable bur-
the Little Kanawha, 112 ms. below then. Great quantities of lumber, be
the P. O. On its waters and tributa-
ries are 40 dwelling houses, 1 Metho-
dist and 1 Baptist house of worship,
2 common schools and 1 tanyard.
Population 240. The principal oc-
cupation of the inhabitants is agricul
sides a number of flat bottomed boats
are carried down this stream to the
Ohio. It abounds with excellent fish.
McWhorter's Mills, P. O. 256
ms. from R. and 242 from W.
WESTON, P. V. and Seat ofJvs-
ture. On the waters of the Little Ka-j tice, 249 ms. from R. and from W., situ-
nawha, embraced within this neigh-; ated on the West Fork of the Monon-
borhood, and supplied from this post'gahcla river, 70 ms. S. E. of Marietta,
office, are 100 dwelling houses, 5 in Ohio. It contains besides the or-
houses of public worship, â€” 4 of which dinary county buildings, 30 dwelling
are Methodist, 3 common schools, 3J houses, 1 common school, 4 mercan-
mercantile stores and 1 tanyard. â€” f tile stores, 4 manufactories, 1 manu-
Lorentz's Store, P.. O. 261 ms.
W. of W. and the same distance from
; Lowman, P. .0. 291 ms. from R.
and 286 W. of W., situated on the N.
W. boundary of the county, on the
facturing flour mill, 1 tanyard and 2
saddlers. Population 167 persons; of
whom 5 are resident attorneys and 2
County Courts are held on the I si
Tuesday in every month; â€” Quarter-
ly in March, June, August and No-
main post road leading from Weston \vember.
to Parkersburg, 42 ms. from the for-! Circuit Superior Courts of Law
mer, and 37 from the latter place, onjand Chancery are held on the I3fk of
Hughes' river, a considerable branch 'April and September, by Judge Dvn-
ofthe Little Kanawha,- which after a (can.
meandering course of more than 100 I
Logan was established by act of Assembly in the year 1824, and taken
from a portion of Giles, Kanawha, Tazewell and Cabell. It is bounded N.
by Kanawha,â€” N. E. by Fayette, â€” E. by the Great Flat Top mountain,
which separates it from Giles and a part of Tazewell,â€” S. by Tazewell, W.
by Tug Fork of Sandy river, which separates it from Floyd county, Ken-
tucky, and N. W. by Cabell. Its mean length is 66 ms. : mean breadth
44Â£; and its area 2,930 sq. ms., extending in lat. from 38Â° 13', to 37Â° 10'
N., and in long, from 3Â° 50', to 5Â° 22' W. of W. C. This county is prin-
cipally watered by Guyandotte and Little Coal rivers and their tributaries ;
Guyandotte flowing diagonally from S. E. to N. W. The principal
branches of Little Coal that waters the N. W. border, are Pond, Beach and
Laurel Forks, having their rise in Huffs' mountain,â€” those watering the
JN. L, part of the county, are Clear Fork, Big Fork and Rockcastle creeks,
Having their rise in Cherry Pond mountain, which separates Logan from
WESTERN VIRGINIAâ€” MARSHALL.
Fayette: they empty into the Guyandotte. Elkhorn and Camp creeks
have their rise in the Great Fiat Top mountain, and after running a con-
siderable distance through the county, empty into Tug Fork, which sepa-
rates it from Tazewell on the S. W* There are several other creeks of
minor importance. This county is generally mountainous and incapable
of close settlement. The soil however, is rich, and the climate well adapt-
ed to raising sheep; and it will some day be perhaps one of the finest wool
growing counties in the United States. The principal exports are gin-
sang, cattle and peltry m considerable quantities. It contained at the last
census 3,681 persons, but since that period a portion has been taken off by
the new county of Fayette. It belongs to the 9th judicial circuit and 10th
district. Tax paid in 1833, $184 95â€” in 1834, on lots, $8 84â€” on land,
$38 83â€”63 slaves, $15 75â€”757 horses $45 52â€”3 studs, $17 00â€”1
carryall, $1 00. Total $176 84. No report from school commissioners
in 1832. Expended in 1833, $196 16.
TOWNS, VILLAGES, POST OFFICES, &c.
Ballardsville, P. O. 349 ms
from R. and 390 S. W. by W. of W.
situated on Little Coal river about 20
ms. above the forks. It contains 12
or 15 houses, 2 houses of public wor-
ship, (I Methodist and 1 Baptist,) 2
schools, in which are taught all the
usual branches of English education,
2 mercantile stores, 1 grist and saw
mill; and 1 establishment for clarify-
ing ginsang, which is one of the sta-
ple commodities of the village and
county. Many flat bottomed boats are
built here, which carry salt from the
works on the Great Kanawha, and
various other mechanical operations
are carried on. The soil of the sur-
rounding country is fertile, producing
corn, wheat, rye, oats, hemp, flax,
sweet and Irish potatoes in abundance.
Population about 100 persons; of
whom 1 is an attorney, and 2 are re-
Big Creek, P. O. 338 ms. S. W
of R. and 396 S. W. by W. of W.,
situated in theS. E. part of the coun-
ty, 70 ms. S. S. E. of Charleston on
the Great Kanawha river.
LAWNSVILLE, or LOGAN
C. H. P. V. 324 ms. W. of R. and
383 from W., situated in a fertile bot-
tom in a bend of the river Guyandotte,
surrounded by mountains abounding
in stone coal and iron ore. This vil-
lage was laid off by act of Assembly
in 1827, since which time a handsome
C. H., clerk's office, and jail have
been erected of hewn stone, â€” also
several dwelling houses, and others
are now being erected. The other
improvements are 2 houses of enter-
tainment, 2 mercantile stores, 1 tan-
yard, 1 smith shop, 1 tailor shop and
1 boot and shoe makers establish-
ment. Besides these there are seve-
ral house carpenters, and various oth-
County Courts are held on the 3rd
Monday in every month : â€” Quarter-
ly in March, June, August and No-
Judge Summers holds his Circuit
Superior Court of Law and Chance-
ry on the 6th of May and October.
Loop, P. O. 256 ms. from R. and
320 S. W. by W. of VV.
Marshall was created at the latter part of the session of the Genera!
Assembly ot 1834-5, whilst this work wns in the press It is formed from
WESTERN VIRGINIAâ€” MASON
the southern part of Ohio county; bounded N. by Ohio county, E. by
Pennsylvania, S. by Tyler, and W. by the Ohio river. Its precise limits
we have no means of ascertaining. The general description, and its towns.
villages, &c* will be given under the head of Ohio county,
Mason was created by Act of Assembly in 1804, and formed from a
portion of Kanawha county. It is bounded N. by Wood, â€” E. by Kanaw-
ha,â€” S. by Cabell, â€” and W. by the Ohio river, which separates it from
Gallia county, in the State of Ohio. Its mean length is 37^ ms. ; mean
breadth 24Â£; and area 904 sq. ms. It extends in lat. from 38Â° 32', to 39Â°
05' N., and in long, from 4Â° 22', to 5Â° 12' W. of W. C. The Ohio river
bounds this county for 60 ms., and the Great Kanawha flows through its
southern part in a N. W. direction. The surface is much broken, but
much of the soil is of good quality. Salt water has been found near the
Kanawha by sinking wells, Population in 1820, 4,868â€”1830, 6,534. It
belongs to the 9th judicial circuit, and 10th district. Tax paid in 1833,
$814 64â€” in 1834, on lots, $47 66â€” land, $466 24â€”433 slaves, $108 25
â€” 1,917 horses, $11 02â€”10 studs, $55 00â€”1 coach, $2 00â€”5 carryalls,
$5 00. Total $799 17. Expended in educating poor children in 1832,
$283 41â€” in 1833, $223 45.
TOWNS, VILLAGES, POST OFFICES, &c.
Buffalo, P. O. 343 ms. from R.
and 380 from W., situated in the S.
E. part of the county, on the E. bank
of the Kanawha river, about 21 ms.
from its confluence with the Ohio,
and 50 ms. S. E. of Point Pleasant.
It contains several dwelling houses,
1 Methodist house of worship, 1 mer-
cantile store and 1 warehouse. It is
known as a public landing, and a
place of some trade. There is a pa-
tent ferry established on the river, on
the pendulum and lee board system.
Its situation is pleasant and healthy,
and eligible on several accounts. The
surrounding country is thickly set-
tled, and the business of the neighbor-
hood for the distance of 10 or 15 ms.
is done at this place,
Hereford's, P. O. 360 ms. N.
W. by W. of R. and 390 W. of W.
Lane's, P. O. 366 ms. both from
W. and R.
POINT PLEASANT, P. V. and
1 Seat of Justice, 358 ms. N. W. by
[W. of'R. and 358 S. W. of W, situ-
ated on the point above the junction
of the Ohio and Great Kanawha ri-
vers, in lat. 38Â° 50', and long. 5Â° 7'
W. of W. C. It contains besides the
ordinary county buildings, 40 dwel-
ling houses, 1 common school, 6 mer-
cantile stores, 1 extensive steam ma-
nufacturing flour mill, 1 steam saw
mill, 2 tanyards, 1 saddler, 2 black-
smith shops, and 2 cabinet makers.
Population 240 persons; of whom 2
are resident attorneys, and 2 regular
County Courts are held on the \si
Monday, in every month: â€” Quar-
terly in March, June, August and
Judge Summers holds his Circuit
Superior Courts of Law and Chancer}-
on the \6th of April, and Septem-
WESTERN VIRGINIAâ€” MONONGALIA. 389
Monongalia was established by act of Assembly in the year 1776, and
formed from a portion of the District of West Augusta. It is bounded N.
by Green and Fayette counties of Pa. â€” E. by Preston, â€” S. E. by Ran-
dolph, â€” S. by Harrison, â€” and W. by Tyler. Its mean length is 33^ miles,
mean breadth 21|: and area 721 square miles. It extends in lat. from 39Â°
17' to 39Â° 42' N. and in long, from 2Â° 39' to 3Â° 25' W. of W. C. The
face of the country is generally mountainous and hilly; one-third of the ter-
ritory of the county, lying upon what is called in this country the "Laurel
Hill," it being the last western regular ridge of the Alleghanies; the other
two-thirds, or western part of the county, being intersected by hills and
Notwithstanding the mountainousness of the country, the soil is very
fertile ; producing good crops of all kinds of grain and vegetables common
to this latitude. And it is remarkably well timbered, both as to variety
The rivers watering this county, are the Monongahela, Cheat, West Fork
and Tygart's Valley. The Monongahela is formed by the junction (a few
miles below the dividing line between Monongalia and Harrison counties)
of the West Fork and Tygart's Valley rivers. It thence flows in a northern
direction, through the middle of the county; and passes out at the Pennsyl-
vania line, about two miles above the mouth of Cheat river. It is naviga-
ble from its head, in time of freshets, for flat-boats of the largest size. And
steam-boats have frequently ascended from Pittsburg to Morgantown, ten
miles above the mouth of Cheat. From Pittsburg to Morgantown, the navi-
gation of this river is very easy for steam and flat-boats, and unobstructed,
except by low water; and is becoming very considerable. From Morgan-
town upwards the navigation is more difficult, and can only be effected in
times of freshets. The West Fork, which flows but about three miles
through this county, is a considerable stream, and is navigable for flat-boats
in time of freshets, as high as Clarksburg in Harrison county. The Ty-
gart's Valley although a considerable stream, is only navigable about ten
miles ; it being obstructed by very high falls. It is part of the dividing line
between this county and Harrison, and Randolph. Cheat river has its
source near that of Tygart's Valley; and after flowing a northwestern di-
rection, through Randolph, Preston and this county, empties into the Mo-
nongahela, two miles below the Pennsylvania line. Although it is a con-
siderable stream, affording nearly as much water as the Monongahela, it is
only navigable as high as Jackson's Iron Works, a distance of eight or ten
The principal creeks in this county, are Decker's, Whiteday, Prickett's
and Threefork creeks, which empty into the Monongahela on the east side,
and Dunkard, Indian, Pawpaw and Buffaloe creeks, which empty in on the
west side of said river. They all afford many excellent seats for water power,
several of which are occupied.
The principal exports of this county, are stock, (horses, cattle, hogs and
sheep,) iron, lumber and some flour. There are three forges, and three
furnaces (and another being erected) in this county; which manufacture
very large quantities of iron annually. There is also one nail factory, and
several good merchant flour mills. Jackson's Iron Works, on Cheat river,
are considered the most valuable in Western Virginia, or perhaps in the
WESTERN VIRGINIAâ€” MONONGALIA.
western country. There has lately been a salt-well sunk in this county,
which promises well.
On the road leading from Clarksburg and Beverly, 5 miles from Morgan-
town, on the plantation of Henry Hamilton, there is a large flat rock about
150 feet long, and 50 wide, with numerous engravings of animals, well exe-
cuted â€” Such as panthers of full size, â€” buffaloe tracks, â€” horse tracks, deer
tracks, turkey tracks, eels, fish, women as large as life, human tracks, otters,
beavers, snakes, crows, eagles, wild cats, foxes, wolves, racoons, opossums,
bears, elks, <fcc. &c. This is probably one of the most extensive specimens
of the arts of the aborigines, to be found in our country.
The Raven's Rock is also worthy of notice. â€” It is situated on Boothe's
creek, about 3-| miles south of Morgantown, and half a mile from the en-
trance of the creek into the Monongahela river. In this rock there are
some strata of coal and of iron; and except in these strata the whole rock
is perforated like a pigeon box. This rock is 150 feet high, 40 feet thick at
its base and 20 at its top. Population in 1820, 11,060 â€” in 1830, 14,056.
It belongs to the 20th judicial circuit, and 10th district. Tax paid in 1833,
$1,402 33â€” in 1834, on lots, $130 46â€” on land, $775 54â€”184 slaves,
$46 00â€”5417 horses, $325 02â€”36 studs, $102 00â€” 3 coaches, $6 00â€”
5 carryalls, $5 00â€” 3 gigs, $1 50. Total, $1392 52.â€” Expended in edu-
cating poor children in 1832, $887 15â€” in 1833, $870 92.
TOWNS, VILLAGES, POST OFFICES, &c.
Barns' Mills, P. O. 296 ms. from
R. and 233 N. W. by W. of W. C,
situated in the western part of the
Blacksville, P. O. 241 ms. from
R. and 243 N. W. of W , situated 20
miles N. W. of Morgantown, at the
junction of Robert's Run and Dun-
kard creek, 50 ms. from its mouth.
This creek empties into the Monon-
gahela river. This village is locat-
ed immediately on the line dividing
the states of Virginia and Pennsyl-
vania, a part of Blacksville being in
the counties of Monongalia, Va. and
a part in Green co. Pa. It contains
11 dwelling houses, 2 mercantile
stores, 1 common school, 1 temper-
ance society, 1 tan yard, 1 saddler,
and 2 blacksmith shops. Dunkard
creek is navigable to this place, and
boat building is carried on to some
extent. The face of the surrounding
country is uneven, but very fertile,
producing wheat, rye, corn, oats and
buckwheat in abundance. Timber
is plenty, of good quality and in great
variety. Population 52, including I
Dunkard Creek, P. O. 247 ms.
N. W. by W. of W. and 245 from
R., situated in the N. W. part of the.
county, 22 ms. N. W. by W. of Mor-
Granville, P. V. 295 ms. from
R. and 217 N. W. by W. of W.,
situated on Dunkard creek near the
southern border of Green co. Pa.,
and on the W. side of the Monon-
galia river, 2 ms. below Morgantown.
It contains 21 dwelling houses, 1
house of public worship free for alt
denominations, 1 common school, 3
mercantile stores, 2 taverns, 2 ware-
houses, 1 saddler, 1 smith shop, 2
cabinet makers, 2 boot and shoe fac-
tories, 1 cooper and 1 chair maker.
Population, white males 44, females
56 â€” colored 10 â€” total 110 â€” and 1
King's Ferry, P. O. 217 ms. N.
W. by W. of W. and 289 from R.
Mount Lineus, P. O. 240 ms.
IN. W. bv W. of W. and 203 from R.
or PoLSLEY'sr MURGANTOWN, P. V. and
ms. from R. and s seat of justice, 293 ms. from R. and
Mills, P. O. 294
235 N. W. by W. of VV. Middle-|215 N
town was established by act of As- 40' N.
sembly January 19th, 1820. It is C.,
now a flourishing and healthy village, the
W. by Vv
of W. in lat. 39Â°
and long. 2Â° 50' W. of W.
situated on an elevated level, on
right bank of the Monongahela,
pleasantly situated on the west bank 35 miles below and N. N. E. of
of the Monongahela, one and a half Clarksburg, and about 60 south of
miles below the junction of Tygarts! Pittsburg, Pa. Morgantown is a
Valley, and West Fork rivers, where flourishing and wealthy village, hold-
they unite and form the Monongahela ing out incalculable advantages to the
river, 22 ms. N. of Clarksburg, 18 manufacturer and mechanic. Its
S. of Morgantown, 90 S. of Pitts- healthy situation on the bank of the
burg, 50 S. of Brownsville, Pa., and Monongahela river, â€” the various
52 ms. E. of the mouth of Fishing! productions of the country by which
creek, and its confluence with the! it is surrounded, â€” 'the inexhaustible
Ohio river. It contains 30 dwelling' coal mines which abound in almost
houses, 2 houses of public worship, every hill, and the rich and innumer-
(1 Methodist and 1 Presbyterian,) 1 able iron banks which are every-
colonization society, 1 tract, 1 tern- i where to be found in this vicinity are
perance, and 1 humane mission soci- perhaps not to be surpassed in West-
Besides the ordinary
ety, and 1 common school, 4 mercan-
tile stores, 1 distiller)-, 2 taverns, ]
it contains 120
pottery, 3 cabinet makers, 1 chair! dwelling houses, 2 houses of public
maker, 1 wheelwright, 1 wagon 1 worship, (1 Methodist and 1 Presby-
maker, 1 smith shop, 1 gunsmith, 2 terian,) and 1 female academy called
boot and shoe factories, 1 saddle, and the "Monongalia Academy," corn-
harness maker, 1 brick maker, 2 bat- prising 2 departments â€” Classical and
ter's shops, 2 saw and 2 grist mills.' Preparatory. Its standing fund at
In the immediate vicinity are 2 card-, interest is $10,000,* and it averages
ing and fulling mills, 4 saw mills, 1 40 pupils, â€” size of building 70 feet
and 2 manufacturing flour mills.: front, 40 feet deep, 2| stories high, a
The face of the country is somewhat handsome and spacious brick build-
hilly, in parts very much broken.
The soil is generally of a rich loamy *The Trustees of the Monongalia
clay, producing all the staples com- Academy were incorporated by the legis-
J ' J . 4 , Â° .ji, , l .i lature in 1806. In 1827 or 8 the legisla-
mon in the middle and northern ture passed an act authorising sa id trus-
states â€” well adapted to grazing and! tees to raise $10,000 by lottery for the
raising of cattle, horses, hogs, &ej benefit of this Academy. 7his sum was
large numbers of which are
for the eastern markets. This sec-
tion of country holds out innumera-
ble advantages for the establishment
of manufactories. The forests abound
with the finest timber, and the earth
is stored with Iron ore, and the best
stone coal. Large quantities of the
latter are shipped from this place for
the Pittsburg and Cincinnati market,
and frequently to
Population 200 persons;
ec lj raised, and about one-half of it expended
' in building a large and commodious brick
building. The balance was put out at in-
terest for the benefit of the academy. In
1830 the Legislature passed another act,
allowing the trustees to raise $20,000 more
by lottery for the same purpose. The
scheme has been sold, and it is expected
the whole amount of the above sum of
S20,000 will be raised in a few years;
which added to the balance left of the
first lottery, will make an endowment
â– sufficient to render the Monongalia
New Orleans.; Academy a free school. It is now one of
of whom 2! the cheapest an 1 best conducted semina-
j ries of the kind in the United States.
WESTERN VIRGINIAâ€” MONROE.
ing, pleasantly situated;- â€” 1 private
school (female,) in which are taught
the languages, painting, drawing, &c,
2 temperance societies, (1 male and 1
female,) 1 Sunday school, 1 bible and
1 colonization society, 1 poor asylum,
7 mercantile stores, 1 apothecary
shop, 2 houses of entertainment, 2
manufacturing flour mills, 1 fulling
and dying establishment, 1 windmill
manufactory, and 1 printing office
from which is issued a weekly paper,
2 tan yards, 2 saddlers, 4 boot and
shoe factories, 3 wheelwrights, and
chair makers, 5 cabinet makers, 1
copper and tin plate worker, I red
and stone ware manufactory, 4 tailor
shops, 3 hat manufactories, 2 gun
smiths, 1 wagon maker, 3 smith