of works as well as faith, and he breathed activity into every depart-
ment of church work, beautifying the old church, inspiriting mission-
ary enterprise, upbuilding Sunday-school work, and encouraging othOr
christian institutions. From November, 1867, to April, 1868, St.
Paul's church was without a regular rector, but services were con-
ducted by Rev. Mr. Burford, the rector of Holy Innocents' church
Rev. Mr. Strong's pastorial duties continued but four months. Rev.
Wra. H. VanAntwerp arrived and assumed his duties as rector in
April, 1868, and his services continued until April, 1874, when he re-
signed and removed to Rahway, New Jersey, as rector of St. Paul's
HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND. 255
there. He was a pleasant and scholarly christian gentleman, having
clear and liberal-minded views. On July 1, 1874, Rev Jesse R. Bick-
nell, of New Albany, lud., although he had only taken deacon's
orders, assumed temporary pastoral duties. In August, 1874, Rev.
W. N. Webbe was called to the rectorate. His relations with the
church were severed in November, 1879. Rev. J. T Holcombe
succeeded him in 1880, and remained about eighteen months. In
November, 1882, Rev. Charles Morris assumed the pastoral duties at
St. Paul's where he served long and successfully. His rectorship
was ended in 1894 by his resignation. He was graduated at William
and Mary College, and the law school of Richmond College, Virginia,
and the Virginia Theological Seminary. He was beloved by the
parish. His addresses were plain, direct, forcible and practical. Under
his administration of the parish a superb new stone structure was
erected. Early in 1883 the building M'as begun, and on March 2,
1886, the first services were held in the new edifice at which time it
was consecrated to the service of the God of Zion. On that memor-
able occasion the bishops of Indiana and Illinois and twelve clergy-
men of the church were present and took part in the solemn, impres-
sive ceremonies. The building cost $50,000. Its foundation lies in
the fqrm of a cross, and its style is Gothic ; its tower is 124 feet high
and is crowned with a large gilded cross The committee appointed
on building was composed of Messrs. Charles Viele, M. J. Bray, Jr.,
and A. H. Lemcke. In 1865 a chapel was erected by Mrs. Charles
Viele at a cost of $6,000
In 1 885 Mr. and Mrs. Charles Viele purchased the house and lot
adjoining the church property, and after having the building re-
modeled and put in good order, they gave it to be used as St. Paul's
rectory and in memory of Edward and Mary Hopkins, father and
mother of Mrs Viele. The sum expended was about $10,000. In
addition to what had already been done, and to complete the work the
former rectory in the rear of the church was changed and made suit-
able for a parish house. This was entirely the work of the ladies of
the church. After Mr. Morris' departure his place was supplied by
Rev. W. Northey Jones, who is the present rector He is a man of
pleasing qualities, scholarly attainments and persuasive oratory. The
Sabbath-school is interesting and successful.
The present membership is about 300. The wardens now are M. J.
Bray, Jr., and Silas S. Scantlin. A few of the big-hearted members of
this church, well known to the older citizens, have made large contri-
butions to the building and the support of the church, and they are
256 HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND.
remembered with an aiFectionate gratefulness by all the large congre-
HOLY innocents' MEMORIAL CHURCH.
This church was organized January 22, 1868. It grew out of a
mission Sunday-school which was the first ever established in the city,
and which was the happy thought of St Paul's church. The first
mission school was organized at St. Paul's about 1863, under the rector-
ship of Rev. Elias Birdsall.
Holy Innocents' parish began with a membership of thirteen
families, and thirty communicants. Mrs. Charles Viele donated the
property, located at the corner of Ninth and Division streets, to the
diocese. The church was completed and ready for consecration on
March 3, 1868. The consecration services were performed by Rt. Rev.
Bishop J. C. Talbot. The brick building is of English Gothic style and
is architecturally very beautiful. It is 80x40 feet in size; the roof is
a steep- gable, and ornamental pilasters relieve the walls. The seating
capacity will accommodate 300 persons. The rectory is a neat two-
story frame house, convenient and modern in its appointments. The
church and rectory, both together costing $25,000, were the munificent
gift of Mrs. Charles Viele. This benevolent lady erected them as a
memorial of her two children, Charles A., and Mary Douglass, both
of whom died in childhood. This liberal donation is not only indica-
tive of unaffected philanthropy and christian devotion, but also of her
sweet motherly instincts and faith in the goodness of God. The
memory of her little ones in Heaven gives the name to the church —
"Holy Innocents'. "
The first rector of this period was Rev. Sponille Burford, of New
Orleans. His services began in 1868 and closed in 1870. Rev.
Richard T. Kerfoot served as rector from 1870 to 1875. He was a
young man of varied experience, and an able gentleman. The next
rector was Rev. R. C. Talbot, Jr., the term of his rectorship extending
from 1876 to 1879. He was succeeded by Rev. O. A. Stanley, M'ho
served the parish from 1879 to 1881. Rev. John K. Karcher was
rector from March to October, 1881. Rev. John A. Dorris officiated
from October, 1881, to 1885, and was succeded by Rev. L. F. Cole,
whose rectorate extended from 1885 to November 1, 1888, which is
the date of his resignation. Rev. A. A. Abbott succeeded him and
continued in the service until November, 1894, when he resigned.
The Rev. Frederick Irving Collins has been rector since Januarv, 1895
HISTORY OF VANDEEBURGH COUNTY, IND. ZO i
The Sunday-school is a noble and prosperous arm of the church ;
the membership is encouraging, and the attendance is faithful.
THE FIRST CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
The first organization of this religious denomination was established
here by Rev. James Ritchey ou January 31,1841. John C. Henson,
William Underwood and Stephen D. Hopkins were elected ruling
elders. At the beginning the membership numbered scarcely more
than twenty, most of whom were women. Among the names now
remembered are those of Mrs. Marcus Sherwood, Mrs. John C. Hen-
son, Mrs. Eliza Mackey, Mrs. Paulina McAllister, Mrs. Elizabeth
Ward, Mrs. Margaret McAlpine, Mrs. John Hall, Mrs. Susan Igle-
heart, Mrs. Stephen D. Hopkins and Miss Mary Johnson. These have
all gone to their reward. They constituted an admirable nucleus for
a strong congregation. For thirty years prior to the organization of
the church, the small town of Evansville was visited occasionally by
Rev. Hiram A. Hunter, Rev. William Lynn and other ministers of
the denomination, who preached in the " old brick school-house," and
sometimes in private residences. The first house of worship, a two-
story brick, was erected on the corner of Second and Chestnut streets,
and was occupied by the congregation until 1876. At one time in its
history it was burned, but was promptly rebuilt. It stood upon the
ground now occupied by the Owen flats.
Rev. James Ritchey was the first pastor called to serve in the new
church, and he continued iu that capacity about three years. He was
succeeded by Rev. William B. Lambert, father of Mrs. W. J. Darby,
whose husband was a later pastor. Mr. Lambert was pastor of the
church but a short time, when he was suddenly stricken down with
cholera while on a trip to Louisville. He had gone to that city on a
mission for the church, but was brought home in his coffin. This was
a sad day for the church and community, as he was highly esteemed.
The next j)astor was Rev. Samuel Jacobs, wlio withdrew after a year's
service and quit the ministry. He was recently mayor of the city of
Logansport, Ind. The next minister in charge was Rev. Aaron Bur-
row, of Tennessee, a brilliant, though somewhat erratic young man.
This was just before and during the first part of the civil war. Mr.
Burrow claimed to be a Union man, and said that he was in favor of
"the Union, the constitution and the enforcement of the laws." How-
ever, during the early part of the war he resigned his charge, mounted
'258 HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND.
a horse and went to his former home in Tennessee. He did not enter
the Southern army, but was charged with being a "Southern sympa-
thizer." Within a few months after leaving Evansville he was shot
and killed by some Union soldiers, who claimed that he was destroy-
ing a bridge to impede the progress of the army. His tragic end was
lamented here by not a few, as he was much loved for his pleasant,
social and genial qualities, and was regarded as a man of bright prom-
ise, being possessed of a brilliant intellect, and having had the advan-
tage of a classical education.
Rev. J. G. White, of St. Louis, succeeded Mr. Burrow, remaining
in charge during the entire period of the war, and doing very success-
ful work. Under his ministry the church was greatly strengthened,
and became a decidedly prominent factor in the religious life of the
city. Dr. White has grown old, but still preaches and lectures with
much power. His home is in central Illinois. Rev. J. C. Bowden,
D. D., of Tennessee, accepted the pastorate in 1865, remaining five
years, during which time the church enjoyed great peace and moderate
prosperity. Dr. Bowden resigned to accept the presidency of Lincoln
university, of Lincoln, 111., and died at his post after three years of
successful service. The congregation was without a pastor for nearly
a year, but its membership held together with its Sunday prayer-meet-
ing and other services.
Rev. W. J. Darby, of Princeton, Ky., a young man just graduated
from Cumberland university, took charge of the congregation, in Feb-
ruary, 1871, and served as its pastor for eighteen consecutive years, a
pastorate more than three times as long as that of any of his prede-
cessors. During this time the congregation grew to be one of the
largest in the city, its membership being at the front in all forms of
religious work. A new house of worship was erected on the corner
opposite the old church, at a cost of $50,000. Through the liberality
of its members a second church was built, on Jefferson avenue, and
recently a third has been erected on Olive street. Early in Mr. Dar-
by's pastorate, Dr. H. G. Jones was placed at the head of the Sunday
school, and under his leadership the school became one of the largest
in the city, and it has continued to maintain that position.
Four times the General Assembly of the denomination has met in
Evansville— in 1859, in 1865, in 1872 and in 1880. Connected with
the latter assembly was a convention of active Christian women from
the various states, who organized a Woman's Board of Missions, mak-
ing Evansville its national headquarters. This organization has spread
extensively throughout the country, aud has a large membership. It
HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND. 259
has sent many missionaries to Japan and otlier countries. Tiie pastor
and members of this church took a prominent part in the erection of
Evans Hall, and the ^reat temperance work that has been done there.
Mrs. Saleta Evans, the founder of the hall, was a member of this
church, and Mr. Darby and Mr. W. F. Nisbet, an elder, were among
the trustees who raised the money and supervised its erection. The
church has thus been active in Sunday school, missionary and temper-
ance work. In 1880 the first Christian Endeavor Society in the state
of Indiana, and one of the first in the entire west was organized in this
church. Evansville is now Christian Endeavor headquarters for the
Cumberland Presbyterian denomination. It is also headquarters for
the ministerial relief work of the denomination. The church is thus
made one of the leading organizations of the Cumberland Presbyterian
communion in the United States. In 1889 Dr. Darby resigned the
pastorate and took charge of the publication affairs of the denomina-
tion, with headquarters at Nashville, Tenn.
Eev. A. G. Bergen, of Springfield, 111., followed Dr. Darby. His
pastorate of three years was a happy and successful one. He was fol-
lowed by Dr. E. G. McLean, from the state of Washington, who is
now in charge. He is truly a zealous, learned and eloquent man after
God's own heart. The membership of the church numbers over 700,
and it has enjoyed a career of uninterrupted pros^ierity for a quarter
of a century.
JEFFER.SON AVENUE CUMBERLAND CHURCH.
This prospei'ous congregation is a growth from the labors of the
Cumberland Presbyterian church of this city, and is located on Jeffer-
son avenue between Putnam and Campbell streets. They have an
elegant building in which to worship. The congregation was organ-
ized January 6, 1889, by Rev. W. J. Darby and the session of the
first church, with a membership of fifty-seven. Rev. J. H. Miller
was the first chosen pastor. Under the efficient pastoral work of Rev.
T. Ashburn, the present pastor, the membership has grown to 225.
The charter members are . John G. Burrows, Kate Burrows, A.
H. Claik, H. J. Claik, Grace Claik, Sarah Jordan, C. D. Hirst,
Edna Hirst, John Aiken, Mary Aiken, Mary Arnold, Francis Balz,
Annie Froehlich, Sarah Stansbury, Ida Stansbury, Mamie Streetmater,
Mary Scarborough, Edith M. Wood, L. E. Wyttenbach Maggie
Schweitzer, Lillie Schweitzer, Carrie Schweitzer, Maggie Brayfield,
Eliza BittroUf, Georgia Culp, Estella Durham, Lula Durham, Annie
260 HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND.
Darling, Belle Eusminger, Penila Jordan, Emma Jordan, Richard
Jordan, George Jordan, Emily Kinsey, Lou Kiusey, Emma Kinsey,
Martha Melvin, Lena Melvin, Lloyd Melvin, August H. Miller, Cora
Miller, Martha Williams, William Miller, Mary Matlieney, Graham
Matheney, Annie Reese, Annie Ruston, Mary Roeder, Matthew H.
Vaught, Samuel Weed, Lillie Sickman, Charles Roeder. Mattie Cook,
Hallie Bittrollf and Elizabeth Holmes. F. C. Magenheimer is the
clerk of sessions. The elders are : John G. Burrows, August H.
Miller, A. F. Karges, F. C. Magenheimer, H. J. Graff and Samuel
Crumbacker. The deacons are : Peter Zapp, M. H. Vaught, George
B. Durham, A. R. Bopp, George W. Harmon, Ernst Schor, A. J.
Taylor, A. G. Beeler and A. C. DeForrest.
PARKE MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
On the first Wednesday ot December, 1887, at the regular mid-
week prayer service of the Walnut street Presbyterian church, the
pastor, Rev. L. M. Gilleland, D. D., called the attention of the con-
gregation to the fact that there was a large territory in the northern
part of the city in which there was no church organization, and where
no public religious services of any kind were held. He stated that,
seeing the need of religious work in that part of the city, he had
decided to open a mission Sunday school there, and desired to give an
opportunity to all so inclined to contribute toward the expense of
maintaining the same, and to volunteer their services as teachers in
During the following week hand bills, announcing the intention of
starting a mission school and giving a cordial invitation to attend,
were distributed throughout the community surrounding the location
selected for the school, which was at the corner of Columbia street
and Heidelbach avenue, in a building formerly used as a saloon. On
December 11, 1887, the school was opened, about 140 persons being
present. After a number of songs the meeting was addressed by Dr.
Gilleland, who explained the object of the undertaking and the results
he hoped might be accomplished. Samuel G. Rick wood was chosen
superintendent. The next two Sundays were largely spent in dividing
the school into classes and appointing teachers for them. On January
1, 1888, the organization was completed by electing the following
additional officers: William Moss, assistant superintendent; H.J
HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND. 261
Pfafflin, secretary and treasurer; Mrs. Lyda Crawford, organist, and
Miss Grace Kraft, assistant organist.
A steady interest in the school was maintained, and though at first
there was much rudeness and disorderly conduct on the part of the
scholars to contend with, in time the effect of the refining influence of
the Gospel was manifest in the school. Toward the end of the first
year the attendance largely increased and sorely taxed the capacity of
the building, making it almost impossible to do satisfactory class work.
The need of larger quarters was deeply felt, but none seemed
About the first of the year, 1889, Col. John W. Foster, our illus-
trious townsman, who had visited tlie school, and had become im-
pressed with its work and possibilities for the future, proposed to the
trustees of the Walnut street Presbyterian church to give, as a mem-
orial of his daughters, Mary Parke and Alice, a sum of money suffi-
cient to erect a church building to be known as the Parke Memorial
chapel, provided the trustees would assume the responsibility of caring
for the building and maintaining a Sunday school, and also an indus-
trial school to be known as the Alice Foster Industrial school. The
trustees are to be responsible for the building until such time as
there shall be a self-sustaining church located there, when the building
shall be transferred to such church.
The proposition was gladly accepted, and work on the new building
was commenced in the early spring, and in August, 1889, the Sunday
school moved into its new home, the beautiful chapel on the corner of
Delaware street and Elsas avenue. The membership of the school
was rapidly increased in numbers, a mid-week service was conducted
for older people, and prayer services were also conducted on Sunday
evenings by members of the session of Walnut street Presbyterian
During the summer months of 1891-2-3, theological students from
the seminary were employed to conduct services at the chapel and do
pastoral work among the people, and in December, 1893, a church
organization was formed with about sixty members as follows :
Mrs. Louisa Rickwood, Mrs. Herman J. Pfafflin, Mrs. Mattie J.
Pfafflin, Mrs William Moss, Mrs. H. R. Moss, Mrs. Lucinda J.
Plummer, Mrs. Mary E. Hall, Mrs. Lena Heyman, Mrs. Jessie Meyers,
Mrs Maud Chambers, Mrs L. V Weston, Mrs. Addie Flentke, Mrs.
L. B. Crawford, Mrs Adah Hugo, Mrs Mary Werntz, Mrs. Emeliue
Cody, Mrs. Ed. J. Young, Misses Annie Plegge, Lydia Plegge, Sarah
Pleggc, Minnie Plegge, Carrie Plegge, L. Woodward, Jennie Stoner,
262 HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND.
Georgia Young, Maggie Kuehn, Minnie Kuehn, Lena M. Peterson,
A. S McCiure, F. M. McCIure, F. E. Dawson, Mary Funk, Kate Stein.
Loretta Heyman, Stella Christie, M. E. Reed, Otiliia Pfaffliu, Rose
Pfafflin, Louise Pfafflin, Susie Werntz, Charlotte Cody, Maggie
Young ; Messrs. S. G. Rickwood, Robert E. Hall, Charles F. Kuehn,
F. J. Peterson, J. Henry Weston and Edward J. Young. The first
session or elders are : S. G. Rickwood, H. J. Pfafflin and J. S Stevens.
Rev. Samuel P. Stophlett was called to occupy the pulpit. Under
the pastorate of Mr. Stophlett the membership of the church was in-
creased to about 150, and the Sunday school kept up its large enroll-
ment. The ijidustrial school is for the benefit of poor children who
are taught to sew, and the garments on which they work are given to
them when completed. Attendance at the indu.strial school is limited
to the members of the Sunday school. Each session of the school is
opened and closed with religious exercises, and much good is accom-
plished, A boys' brigade was also organized and a great deal of in-
terest is taken in it by the boys of the church and the school, and it is
in a flourishing condition.
In March, 1896, Mr. Stophlett resigned his niini.stry here to accept
a call from Kansas, and in June Rev. John P. Engstrom entered upon
his work as the successor of Mr. Stophlett, and under his pastorate
the church entered upon a new era of activity that bids fair to exceed
the success of the past. All the various organizations are in good
condition and hard at work, and all the people are well-pleased with
their new pastor and his estimable wife. The membership of the
church at present is l!^0, and church services are largely attended.
The present officers of the church are as follows : Session — Rev. J.
P. Engstrom, moderator; S. G. Rickwood, clerk; John L. Stevens,
John D. Burns and H. J. Pfafflin, elders. Trustees — James
Elliott, president; H. J. Pfafflin, secretary and treasurer; William
Haberer, Augu.st Ellerbush, William IMeyers, William Young and J.
FIRST AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.'
A Presbyterian church, located on Second avenue, between Mary-
land and Oregon streets, was founded by the order of the Vincenues
Presbyterian December, 1872. The frame building had, however, been
completed and dedicated in January, 1872. The site was donated by
Willard Carpenter, and Rev. M. V. Van Arsdale was the pastor. The
original membership numbered twenty-five. Meanwhile mission work
HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND. 263
had been going on in the locality of First avenue and Virginia street
by Rev. AVilliain H. McCarer, pastor of AValnut Street Presbyterian
church, and by members of Vine street church (now Grace church),
and later by united efforts of both these churches. This combined labor
resulted in the organization of a church on November 11, 1875, which
was called the First Avenue Presbyterian church. This led to the dis-
bandment of the Second Avenue church, the members of which trans-
ferred their membership to the new one. The original members of the
First Avenue church were Nicholas Elles, Mrs. Elizabeth EUes, Mrs.
Caroline Skinner, Mrs. Mary Brown, John Greek, Mrs. Sarah Werntz,
Miss Ida Werntz, Miss Clara NVerntz, Miss Sallie Werntz, Miss May
Werntz; Elders Otto F. Jacobi and John Savacool, together with forty-
four others, who came by letter from the Second Avenue Presbyterian
church. The elders were Otto F. Jacobi, W. H. Wood and B. L.
Brown. The first pastor was Rev W. H. McCarer.
A new brick church was erected rapidly, and dedicated April 2,
1876. The membership was fifty-seven, and in four years it reached
a hundred, and at present it numbers 227. Rev. McCarer served the
congregation till his death, in February, 1880. He had been pastor
of Walnut Street church about nineteen years, and had served this new
church six years. He was a man whose life was full of loveliness and
good works. His successor was Rev. Henry A. Dodge, who labored
till 1881. Rev. W. A. Hutchison was pastor from December, 1881,
to December, 1882; Rev. Mr. Dawson, 1883; Rev. S. P. Lynn, 1884;
Rev. David VanDyke, 1885 to 1888; Rev. Joseph S. Grimes, 1889;
Rev. W. S. Lowery, 1890; Rev. J. F. Martin, 1891 to 1894, and Rev.
O. S. Thompson, from June, 1894, to the present time.
The names of the ruling elders who have served this church are :
Otto F. Jacobi, B. F. Brown, W. H. Wood, G. W. Entsminger, W,
J. Harvey, A. C. Haynes, G. G. Rickwood, William Newman, John
Greek, William Lambeth, E. S. Price, James Richey, William H.
Kriepke and C. C. Porter.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH.
The First Baptist church, located at the corner of Third and Cherry
streets, was founded July 4, 1847, under promising circumstances
that were afterward fulfilled in the vigorous growth of the society.
The members who first constituted this congregation were : Rev. N.
V. Steadman, S. Z. Millard, J. P. Matthews, Elizabeth Beasley,
Marion L. Wilcox and Alvira S. Stoddard. These were the seed of
264 HISTORY OF VANDERBURGH COUNTY, IND.
this church, and from them the membership grew until at present it
numbers 320. The first pastor was Rev. N. V. Steadmau. Many
others trod in his footsteps. Rev. W T. Cross, the last pastor before
the present one, was a scholar, a worker and a successful pastor.
While on a vacation in Ohio in the summer of 1896, he died of typhoid
fever. He was succeeded by Rev Thomas, a man who caught the
mental and spiritual beauty of Spurgeon while laboring with him in
The first clerk was J. P. Matthews, and the first deacon was S. B.
Millard. The first trustees were : Judge M. W. Foster, T. W. Simp-
son, Joseph Turnock, Alfred White and F. C. Gale The two persons
who first united with the church were Mrs. S. K. Foster and Mrs.
Elizabeth Turnock, and they are still active members. The first two
baptized were Mrs. Mary Jacobs Maghee and Mrs. Laura Jacobs