eBooksRead.com books search new books
Joshua Thompson Stewart.

Indiana County, Pennsylvania; her people, past and present, embracing a history of the county (Volume 2) online

. (page 82 of 162)
Online LibraryJoshua Thompson StewartIndiana County, Pennsylvania; her people, past and present, embracing a history of the county (Volume 2) → online text (page 82 of 162)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
in 1840, settling in Indiana county, Pa.,
where he made his home in Green township,
conducting a sawmill for some time and sub-
sequently devoting himself to farming, which
he carried on the rest of his life. His family
consisted of seven children. 3Irs. Elizabeth
(Morris) Williams died March 19, 1903. She
was the mother of nine children, the eldest
dying in infancy; William M. is mentioned
below; Robert is deceased (he was in the
Union service throughout the Civil war, serv-
ing in Company A, 67th P. V. I., and was
confined in Libby prison and at Anderson-
ville) ; Jane became the wife of Thomas Wal-
ter, of Venango county. Pa., and botli are
deceased; Mary, deceased, was the wife of
Henry Kelly, of Pineflats, this county, who
survives; Richard died when fourteen years



1194



HISTORY OF INDIANA COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



old; Elizabeth married Hugh Williams, and
both are deceased.

WiUiam M. Williams was born Dee. 22,
1837, in Madison county, N. Y., and was a
boy when the family came to Indiana county
in 1845. lie received a public school educa-
tion in Green township. From an early age
he assisted with the farm work and lumber-
ing, and during several years of his young
manhood conducted a water mill in this
county which he bought from his grandfather.
Later he bought a steam mill with which he
was connected for over forty years, and which
was conducted by William M. Williams &
Sons. Meantime he had also become inter-
ested in farming, which he continued until
1903 in Pine township. Then he removed to
{rrisemore, where he resided, enjoying well-
earned leisure, until his death, Jan. 28, 1913.
He is buried in the McDowell cemetery, in
Green township. Though never a seeker after
public honors or office Mr. Williams was will-
ing to do his duty as a citizen, and he was
long a member of the school board of Pine
township, serving several years as president
of that body.

On Dec. 31, 1861, Mr. Williams was mar-
ried in Pittsburg to Sarah Jones, who was
born in that city Aug. 3, 1841, daughter of
John D. and Jane (Jones) Jones. Her father
was a native of South Wales, and after com-
ing to America lived in Pittsburg until his
removal to Indiana county, where he bought
land and engaged in farming until his death.
He had a family of six children, of whom only
Sarah (Mrs. Williams) and Jane (wife of
David Oldham, of Beaver City, Pa.) now
survive.

Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Williams : Elizabeth, wife of Arthur Jones, of
Barnesboro, Pa., has one child, Ethel; John
J., who lives in this county, married Eliza-
beth Martin, daughter of J. D. Martin, of
Indiana county, and they have four children ;
Mollie is the wife of G. M. Joiner, of Grise-
more ; Richard^ who lives in Green township,
married Mary Florence Bennett, and they
have two children, Emma Mae and Mary
Wilda; Jane, William W. and Margaret are
at home ; Emma Marian died in infancy. Mr.
Williams was a member of the Presbyterian
Church at Nebo, in Green township, to which
his widow also belongs, and he helped to build
the present edifice; he served as elder about
twenty years until his death.

John J. AVilliams was born June 3, 1865,
on the farm in Pine township where he spent
his boyhood, and wliere he is now living. He



obtained his education in the local public
schools, and from an early age as-sisted his
father with the farming and sawmill work, at
the mill in Pine township which his father
operated. Nine years ago he began farming
on his own account at the place where he now
lives, taking the farm upon his father's re-
tirement in 1903, and in addition to general
agriculture he engages in stock raising —
cattle and hogs. He is a busy man, but he
has found time for public affairs and matters
of general interest to the community, and
his fellow citizens have shown their confidence
in his ability and integrity by electing him
to various township ofSces, the duties of
which he has discharged faithfully. He has
served as member of the election board.

On May 20, 1897, ]\Ir. Williams was mar-
ried to Elizabeth [Martin, a native of Green
township, born Feb. 1, 1868, daughter of John
D. and Maria (Askins) Martin, who settled
in this count}' many years ago. Mr. ]\Iartin
died in 1903, and Mrs. Martin is now living
in Green township. Four children have been
born to Mr. and Mrs. Williams: John M..
William Hay, Sarah J. and George M. jMr.
and Mrs. Williams are members of the Pres-
byterian Church at Nebo, which he serves at
present as elder.

CLARK DUNLAP, farmer and dairyman
of Burrell township. Indiana county, was
born March 11, 1870, in Derry township,
Westmoreland Co., Pa., and is a son of Wil-
liam R. and Nancy J. (Barr) Dunlap.

Andrew Dunlap, paternal grandfather of
Clark Dunlap, was brought to the United
States from County Derry, Ireland, when lie
was but two years old, the journey taking
thirteen weeks in a sailing vessel, and tht^
family eventually settled in Westmoreland
county, Pa. Besides Andrew, the youngest,
the children were: Thomas; James; AVil-
liam; Jane and Nancy, twins, who lived to
old age and never married ; and iMollie. who
married a Mr. Stewart, of Washington town-
ship, Westmoreland county, who went to
serve as a substitute for Andrew Dunlap dur-
ing the war of 1812, and never returned.
Andrew Dunlap secured his education in a
log schoolhouse situated at Warren (now
Apollo), Pa., and during his earlier years his
home was a little log cabin. On reaching man-
hood he settled on a tract of 200 acres on
which he built a home and sawmill, on Beaver
run. In addition to farming and lumliering
Mr. Dunlap followed teaming, hauling iron
ore from Bellefonte to Pittsburg, with a six-



HISTORY OF INDIANA COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



1195



horse team, it being necessary for him to
carry about fifty bushels of oats for feed.
Later he sold his first farm and removed to
Harrisville, Butler county, there purchasing
another tract of 200 acres and continuing to
engage in farming and stock raising until his
death, which occurred when he was eighty
years of age. Mr. Dunlap was laid to rest
in the United Presbyterian Church cemetery
at Harrisville. He married Mary (Polly)
Robinson, daughter of William Robinson, who
lived near the Salem Church in Westmore-
land count}', and she died in 1862. They had
the following children: John, who married
Anna Elizabeth Cook, of Butler county; Re-
becca, who married Andrew Dunlap, of
Butler county; Nancy Jane, who married
James Davis, and resided in Illinois; Wil-
liam R. ; Andrew and Eliza, twins, the former
of whom married Harriett Trump, and the
latter died in Butler county, and James, who
is living at Harrisville.

William Robinson Dunlap, son of Andrew
and father of Clark Dunlap, was born Dec.
29, 1829, in Washington township, Westmore-
land Co., Pa., and received but meagre educa-
tional advantages, starting out to make his
own way in the world when he was but thir-
teen years of age. at which time his mother
died. Following this he secured employment
with Jesse Gray and S. Walters, his wages
being three dollars per month, and he con-
tinued to work as a farm hand until going to
Wan-en county, where he spent about four
years in the lumber business under Joseph
Hall. In 1851 Mv. Dunlap went west to St.
Louis and then Calhoun county, 111., and
after a short stay removed to the lead
mines of Michigan. During all this time he
had carefully saved his earnings, and on his
return home was able to purchase 130 acres
of land in Derry township, Westmoreland
county, his uncle John Robinson assisting him
in paying for it. This farm he sold in 1856
and bought a tract of 106 acres located in
Salem township, which was underlaid with
a rich vein of coal. He operated this land
until 1866, when he sold it and bought a
tract of 253 acres, which he divided into three
parts, giving his son two of these and operat-
ing the other himself. Mr. Dunlap continued
to be engaged in farming for a number of
years and carried on an extensive stock rais-
ing business, but in 1898 retired from active
life and moved to Blairsville, where he still
lives. He was for some .years a deacon in the
•old Salem Church, but at this time, with his
wife, attends the Blairsville Presbyterian



Church. Formerly a Whig, he later became
a Republican, and for a time, while a resident
of Westmoreland, acted as school director.
In 1860 Mr. Dunlap was united in marriage
with Nancy Jane Barr, who died Feb. 24,
1883, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Sloan)
Barr, and she was , buried at old Salem
Church, in Derry township. They had the
following children: John Barr, born Sept.
12, 1860, who is now a missionary in Siam;
Mary Elizabeth, born Jan. 4, 1862, who mar-
ried John Gilson, and resides in Derry town-
ship ; Robinson Edgar, boi'n Dec. 19, 1863,
who married Lucinda Mewherter, and resides
in Ada, Hardin Co., Ohio; Martha Jane, born
March 7, 1866, who mai-ried William Mew-
herter ; Charles Howard, born April 23, 1868,
who married Elizabeth Kirkpatrick; Clark,
born March 11, 1870; Louisa Hamilton, born
March 30, 1872, who married William Lati-
mer; Emory Eugene, born Sept. 27, 1874,
who died in 1878 ; Nora Grace, born March
25, 1877, who married James B. Dunlap, and
resides in Derry township ; and Hubert, born
March 30, 1879, who married Laui-a Stitt.
William R. Dunlap 's second marriage was to
Martha Jane Kenly, daughter of David
Kenly, of Derry township, whose wife's
maiden name was Piper. Mr. and Mrs. Dun-
lap reside at Blairsville.

Clark Dunlap, son of William R. Dunlap,
attended the public schools of Derry town-
ship, Westmoreland county, and there grew
to manhood, assisting his father on the farm.
In 1895 he was given the home farm by his
father, and that he conducted until 1899,
when he sold out and purchased the Lose
farm, in Burrell township,- Indiana county,
a tract of 160 acres, where he has erected
modern buildings and made numerous other
improvements, one of which is a large silo.
Mr. Dunlap is a progressive and enterprising
agriculturist, and in addition to general
farming and stock raising is engaged in
dairying, marketing his products in Blairs'
ville. He is a Sunday school teacher of the
Presbyterian Church at Blairsville, has been
deacon, and was elected elder in the fall of
1912. His wife and all of her family are also
members of that church.

Mr. Dunlap married Anna IMargaret Lose,
daughter of George and Margaret Lose, of
Burrell township, and to this union there have
been born four children, as follows: George
L., Wilma Jane, Martha Evelyn and Anna
Margaret.



1196



HISTORY OP INDIANA COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



JOSEPH G. SECHLER, postmaster at
Cherrytree borough, Indiana county, was
born at that place Feb. 24, 1855, son of John
and Catherine (Gwinner) Sechler. Both the
parents were natives of eastern Pennsylvania,
and the ancestry was German on both pa-
ternal and maternal sides. Mr. Sechler's
great-grandfather came to America in
Colonial days, and served as a soldier in the
Revolutionary war.

John Sechler, father of Joseph G. Sechler,
passed his early life in the eastern part of
this State, and learned the trade of miller.
In 1855 he came to Chen\ytree, Indiana
county, and engaged in the milling business,
remaining there until about 1856, when he re-
moved to Diamond IMills, this county. Later
he went from there to Ebensburg, Cambria
county, where he conducted a mill for several
years, finally locating at Altoona, this State,
where he died when about eighty-four years
old. Mrs. Sechler died at the age of eighty-
seven years, in Conemaugh, Cambria Co., Pa.,
where she resided with her daughter, Mrs.
Susan Rugh. Eleven children were born to
John and Catherine Sechler: William H.,
now deceased, who served about three years
during the Civil war; Susan, widow of John
Rugh, living at Conemaugh, Pa. ; Theresa,
who lives at Ebensburg, Pa. ; Alice, wife of
Allen Edelman, of Philadelphia; George, de-
ceased, who served one year in the Civil war ;
Maggie, wife of Benjamin James, of Ebens-
burg ; Joseph G. ; Mary, deceased ; Emma,
deceased; Anna, deceased; and John, who
died at Altoona, Pennsylvania.

Joseph G. Sechler was educated prin-
cipally at Ebensburg, Pa., and he was but
fourteen years old when he assumed most of
the work in connection with the management
of his father's mill there, his father having
lost his sight. After conducting that mill for
ten years he came to Indiana county and
took the management of a mill at Cherrytree,
being thus engaged for nineteen years, iintil,
in 1895, he was appointed postmaster at
Cherrytree; he has since given most of his
attention to the duties of this office, in which
he has given the greatest satisfaction to all
his fellow citizens. The postoffice at this
point was first known as Canoe Place, then
Newman's IMills and later Grant before it
became known as Cherrytree. Mr. Sechler
has served the community in other official
capacities, having been a valuable member of
the school board for twenty years, and he is at
present holding the office of borough treas-
urer. Politically be is a Republican.



Mr. Sechler was married at Ebensburg to
Emma Stough, a native of that place, daugh-
ter of John and Jane (Mills) Stough, the
former of whom was of German ancestry, the
latter of "Welsh extraction. Mr. Stough was
a painter by trade. He died when past
seventy years old and his widow now lives at
Ebensburg, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Sechler have
had three children : Birdie, wife of R. D.
Tonkin, of Cherrytree, has one child, Joseph ;
Eva Emma assists her father in the post
office ; Arthur J. is a merchant at Cherrytree.

Mr. and ]\Irs. Sechler are members of the
Presbyterian Church. Fraternally he is a
Mason, belonging to Summit Lodge, No. 312,
at Eben.sburg and the Consistory at Wil-
liamsport. and also an Odd Fellow, being a
prominent member of the latter lodge at
Cherrytree, in which he has held all the i



JOHN WEIR, now living retired, is a well-
known citizen of Indiana, of which borough
he has been a life-long resident. He was born
there Nov. 1, 1836, son of Archibald Weir,
and the family is of Scottish origin, his
grandfather, Robert Weir, having been a
native of Scotland.

Robert Weir was a youth in college in his
native land when the Revolutionary war
broke out, and with a chum he ran away from
college and came to America, enlisting in the
Continental army. He fought under General
Greene. After the close of the war he moved
to western Pennsylvania, settling in Brush-
valley township, Indiana county, where he
took up a claim for himself as well as one
for his eldest son. Here he followed farm-
ing the rest of his life. He also enlisted for
service in the war of 1812. He was twice
married, having one son, Alexander, by his
first man-iage, and by his second wife, Mar-
garet (Gordon), he had seven children,
namely: James, Daniel, John, Archibald,
Mrs. Furrier, Jlrs. Guier and Mrs. Beam.

Archibald Weir, son of Robert, was born
in 1806 in Brushvalley township, this county,
and learned the trade of carpenter. In 1828
he settled at Indiana, and he was one of the
early cai-penters in the borough, and one of
the most successful, keeping several crews
busy in various parts of this territory, build-
ing barns, houses, etc. He was also engaged
in the mercantile business there among the
old-timers. Mr. Weir was a stanch Abolition-
ist in principle, and a member of the Lutheran
Church in religious connection. He died at
Indiana in December, 1859. In 1831 he mar-
ried Jane C. Coleman, who was born in 1809



HISTORY OF INDIANA COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



in Cherryhill township, Indiana county,
daughter of John Coleman, a farmer of that
township. They were the parents of five chil-
dren: Mary Jane (Mrs. James Fenton),
Robert H., John, Elizabeth and Margaret.

John Weir attended the common schools of
the borough in boyhood, and when fifteen
years old began to learn the trade of tailor,
He followed it for some time thereafter. In
1861 he enlisted in the Union service, becom-
ing a musician in the 3d Pennsylvania Vol-
unteer Regiment for three months. When
that term expired he joined the 105th Penn-
sylvania Regiment, under Colonel McKnight,
in the same capacity. This command was
known as the "Wildcats." Mr. Weir served
in the army until honorably discharged, after
which he returned home and resumed tailor-
ing for a while. He then became engaged in
the sewing machine business, and later em-
barked in the grocery business, which he car-
ried on until his retirement, in 1899. Mr.
Weir showed considerable ability in the man-
agement of his own affairs, and prospered by
giving them the strictest attention and by
observing the most honoi-able methods in ail
his transactions. He is favorably known to
a wide circle of friends and acquaintances in
and around Indiana. In his earlier years he
was prominent in public affairs, serving as
member of the town council and for years as
burgess. Politically he is now as he has been
in the past — known as an independent. He
was one of the charter members of the or-
iginal G. A. R. Post No. 131, and is its old-
est surviving past commander, the second to
be elected to that position. He is the oldest
past grand of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows in Indiana county, and is custodian
of the Odd Fellows hall. In religious con-
nection he is a member of the M. E. Church.

In 1865 Mr. Weir Was married at Indiana
to Jemima E. George, of Armstrong county.
Pa., daughter of John George. Mrs. Weir died
at Indiana in 1907. Three children were bom
to Mr. and Mrs. Weir: (1) Mary Jane grad-
uated from the Western Pennsylvania School
for Nurses and then entered the service of
the United States government as a trained
nurse, being stationed at Manila for two years.
Returning to the United States she resumed
her profession here as superintendent of the
hospital at Braddock, Pa., until her marriage
to Dr. C. S. Kerr, of Bmlenton, Pa. (2)
Sarah Elizabeth is a stenographer, and was
so engaged at the Carnegie steel works under
every president from Mr. Carnegie down until
the establishment of the Carnegie Technical



1197

School, when she was made assistant treasurer
of that institution. (3) Cordelia lives at
home with her father.

WILLIAM MARTIN UREY, retired
farmer and lumberman, is a' native of Ire-
land, but has lived in Indiana county from
childhood. Frank Urey, his father, was born
m 1794 m Rathfryland, County Down, Ire-
land, came to America in 1843 "and first set-
tled near Williamsport, Pa., where he worked
on a farm for almost a year. He then came
farther west, to Banks township, Indiana
county, and bought 100 acres of woodland
near the Clearfield coimty line, on which he
built a log cabin and settled down to the
work of clearing and cultivating. In mid-
winter, three years later, when three feet of
snow lay on the ground, the cabin home was
completely destroyed by fire, and they had
to cut trees for the hewed log house which
took its place. This was in 1844-45. By hard
work Mr. Urey made good progress "in the
development of his property, becoming one
of the successful farmers of' his section. He
lived to the ripe age of eighty-three years,
dj'ing Nov. 22, 1877, and was laid to rest in
the Urey cemetery in Banks to^vuship by the
side of his wife, who died in September, 1871.
In polities he was first a Whig, later becom-
ing a Republican. He had married in Ire-
land Ruth Dixon, of his home town, and they
had a family of five children, all born in Ire-
land, namely : John, who died when nineteen
.years old; David, now deceased, who married
Lizzie MeDermott and had children, John,
Frank, Elizabeth, Ruth and Mary, who reside
in Clearfield, Pa.; James, who married Eliza
Dixon, of Pittsburg, and moved to Ireland,
where both died; William Martin; and Mary
Jane, who married Gilbert Graham, of Banks
township, and had children, James, John, Gil-
bert and Alexander, all residing at Fair
Grounds, Oregon.

William Martin Urey was born Aug. 19,
1839, in Rathfryland," County Down, Ire-
land, and was quite young when he came to
America with his parents. He settled with
the famil.y in Banks township, Indiana
county, where he attended the log school
known as the Urey school and assisted his
father with the farm work at home. In time
he became interested in lumbering, in which
he was engaged for over thirty years, rafting
down the Susquehanna and marketing his
lumber at Marietta. He handled principally
pine, hemlock and oak. In 1885 he moved to
his present location, buying the farm of



1198



HISTORY OF INDIANA COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ninety-six acres, known as the Rankin place,
upon which he has since made his home. It
lies in three townships, Blacklick, Young and
Conemaugh, and the house stands at the point
where these three townships ad.join, the front
porch being in Young township, the back
porch in Blacklick, and the side in Cone-
maugh. In 1891 the former house, which had
been built by William Rankin, was burned
and Mr. Urey erected the present residence,
a substantial frame dwelling with all avail-
able improvements, commodious and comfort-
ably arranged. His eldest son now conducts
the" farm, Mr. Urey having withdrawn from
active work two years ago. In addition to
general farming he raised a small amount of
live stock, and the place is carried on in the
same way now. The land is underlaid with
a rich vein of coal, only about two hundred
feet below the surface. In his earlier days
Mr. Urey was a hard worker, and his in-
dustry combined with keen business qualities
brought him the competence which now en-
ables him to spend his age in comfort. He
is a home-loving man and takes great pleasure
in his family.

On Jan. 5, 1872, Mr. Urey married Bessie
Urey, daughter of John and Eliza (White)
Urey, whose home was in Cadiz, Ohio. They
have had seven children: James, born Feb.
19, 1873, who now has charge of the home
farm: William John, born May 10. 187-4;
David Edward, born Jan. 8, 1876, a mason by
trade; Robert F., born Nov. 21, 1877: Emmet
G., born Nov. 22, 1879, who died Jan. 12.
1885 ; Preston G., born July 20. 1S82. a grad-
uate of the Indiana State normal school, who
has taught school for seven years ; and Mary
Helena.

During the Civil war Mr. Urey enlisted in
the Union ai-my for one year, but served
only ten months'. He was a member of Com-
pany C, 206th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infan-
try," under Capt. Wiiliam Brown and Colonel
Brady. During his army experience he as-
sisted in building a fort at Butler's eanal,
near Richmond. He saw some of the harrow-
ing sights of those strenuous times, being pres-
ent on one occasion when nine soldiers were
shot at sunrise for desertion, and on another
when two soldiers were hanged for contem-
plated miu-der; they had planned to kill the
sergeant of their company for the money he
carried, but were overheard and caught be-
fore they had time to commit the act.

Mr. Urey east his iirst presidential vote for
Abraham Ijincoln, and he has continued to
support the Republican ticket ever since.



He and his wife and family are members of
the United Presbyterian Church in Cone-
maugh township.

PETER WESLEY KINTER, retired
farmer, now living at Marion Center, passed
all of his active years in RajTie township, In-
diana county, where the Kinter family has
been established for over a century. He was
born there July 30, 1846, son of Peter and
]\Iargaret (McCall) Kinter, and grandson of
Peter Kinter, the pioneer settler of the fam-
ily here, who came from Huntingdon county.
Pa., in 1808. He settled in Rayne township,
where he followed farming the remainder of
his life, becoming one of the well-known resi-
dents of the locality in his time. He was
twice married, first to ilaiy Findley and
later to Elizabeth Jackson, and had children
by both wives, those of the fir.st marriage be-
ing: Sarah, who married Josephus Osborn:
Archibald, who married Catherine Hess and
(second) Mary Colkitt; Peter: Mary, who
married John Leasure: John, who married
Margaret Riddle: Margaret, who married
Robert Warden; and Isabella, who married
John Jameson. There were three children by
the second union : Samuel, who married a
Jiliss Layton ; Catherine ; and Jane, who mar-
ried Samuel Knox.

Peter Kinter, son of Peter and ]Mary
(Findley) Kinter, was born in Huntingdon
county. Pa., accompanied his parents to
Ra.-STie township, Indiana county, and there
made his home until his death, which occurred
on the farm. By trade he was a blacksmith.
and he also followed farming, owning the



Online LibraryJoshua Thompson StewartIndiana County, Pennsylvania; her people, past and present, embracing a history of the county (Volume 2) → online text (page 82 of 162)
Using the text of ebook Indiana County, Pennsylvania; her people, past and present, embracing a history of the county (Volume 2) by Joshua Thompson Stewart active link like:
read the ebook Indiana County, Pennsylvania; her people, past and present, embracing a history of the county (Volume 2) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014