Kansas State Historical Society.

The Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 20) online

. (page 15 of 76)
Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 20) → online text (page 15 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and at that discovered his mistake and wheeling his horse attempted

9. Capt. Avra P. Russell, commanding Company G, Second Kansas infantry.


to escape but Capt. Russell drew his revolver and fired killing the
rebel instantly

While resting in line an officer came riding up in front and said
that the rebels were advancing in large force up a ravine in front
of us At this we moved a little to the right and two peices of ar-
tilery were placed on the right of the company and the rest of the
regiment sent still fa[r]ther to the right so as to give them room I
was on the extreme right of the company and near the battery by
a tree top that lay on the ground The battery fired as soon as they
got thier position The enemy commenced firing when about three
hundred yards distant keeping steadily advancing. Our fire was
reserved till within two hundred yards then we opened still in the
jesture [?] of Scott tactics of charge bayonets against cavalry The
balls flew around us like hail but fortunately mostly over us

I had fired three times and was loading again when a ball struct
my thigh on the outside midway between the knee and hip, the ball
passed in obliquely going towards the femer striking it about three
inches below the acetabulum enough to the rear to glance off
without breaking the bone and after turning a revolution endwise
lodged in the thick part of the thigh The feeling when it struct
my leg was like striking it with something blunt without any sharp
pain in the vicinity of the wound It caused a slight dizziness at
first and I thought I was shot both in the foot and leg. This sup-
position was increased by a round hole in my boot which I had cut
a few days previous on account of it hurting my ancle and to my
dizzy brain it looked just like a bullet hole The feeling in my foot
was about the same [as if] one had hit it with a hammer I looked
first at my foot and then felt my leg and looked to see iff it was
bleeding much, run two of my fingers in the hole, but acertaining
that it was not bleeding much commenced to think about the con-
dition I left my gun in for I could not regolect how far I had gone
towards loading it. As near as I could acertain I had torn the
cartrige and was in the act of pouring the powder in the muzzle.
A ball had struct my gun bruiseing the barrel and stock but not
injureing it for present use

Soon after recieving my wound I got up and started for the rear
but had proceeded but a few paces when I laid down The bullets
now flew thicker than ever two passed within a few inches of my
head as I was lying down Once I thought I would go and sit by
a tree near by but thinking I would wait till a cessation of the strife
lay still When the firing had nearly ceased I got up and went to


the tree and sat down for a moment and examined my thigh once
more and thinking it to be a slight wound determined not to be a
coward and go back into ranks picked up my gun and started but
at this moment the firing nearly ceased and Col. Blair gave the
order About Face foward Slow time March. I now commenced
going off the field using my gun for a cruch the line of the regi-
ment passed me as I could not get over the rough ground but
slowly As I was going up the opposite hill I heard firing in the
rear and turning to look saw that the enemy had already taken
possession of the ground we had fought on A few bullets whistled
near me but I had got so that they did not frighten me any by this
time after going over the ridge and down into a ravine I got some
water out of a branch but it -was muddy Just then I thought I
ought to find the regiment and on looking back I saw them coming
down the ravine under the command of Maj. Cloud I was nearly
exhausted by this time.

When the Co. came up I gave Capt. Crawford my gun and Lieut.
Lindsay went away in search of a horse for me to ride and soon
returned with Col. Clouds pony it having recieved a rifle ball in
the neck with the assistance of Sergt. Johnston and Nugent I
mounted him and started towards Springfield. 10 As I passed along
wounded men could be seen on all side[s] of the road shot in every
place imaginable Wagons were loaded with them besides many
that were on horses I kept on till I got to a house about four miles
from the field there I stopped and dismounted rested a short time
had some water Dr. Patee here looked at my wound said it was
shot with a spent ball, but ordered nothing to be put on it. Soon
I mounted with the assistance of A. Saulsbury 11 and rode on feeling
much better. The regiment on ariving on the prairie about a mile
from the battlefield halted formed a line of battle and was the rear
guard coming in I went on till I got to Springfield about sun-
down went to the brick hotel which was being used for a hospital
and dismounted was helped up stairs and lay down on the floor.
When I was about three miles from town I met some wagons going
out after the wounded they were loaded with bread which they
were distributing out to the soldier [s] and this was all I recieved
till the next day The regt came in and camped at the usual camp-
ing place. J. F. Walker 12 was wounded and came into the same

10. Capt. Samuel J. Crawford, 1st Lt. John G. Lindsay, 1st Set. John Johnston and
Ens. Henry Nugent, all of Osborne's company (E), Second Kansas infantry.

11. Pvt. Albert Saulsbery, Company E, Second Kansas infantry.

12. Cpl. James F. Walker, Company E, Second Kansas infantry.



room with me I succeeded in pulling off my boots and with my
hat and them I made me a pillow and soon went to sleep and slept
till about three oclock the next morning

I had been awake but a few moments when some men among
who was Lieut. Lindsay came into the room to bid us good bye
They stated that they were going to retreat and leave all the sick
and wounded behind We wanted to go with them but they said
that they could not take us They said that we would be well taken
care of by the rebels &c. but this did not satisfy me I knew that
there were rebels that would hunt me out and I feared that it
would be the worse for me. It proved that they hunted all over
Springfield for me but could not find me.

When I left I went down stairs and on the piazza and sat down
on the steps After sitting there a few moments Seargt. Nugent
came along and I asked him to help me to the wagon and on
getting to it climbed up and made me a bed in the blankets and
the train soon started for Rolla I got along on the journey to
Rolla as well as could be expected considering that I had as dan-
gerous a wound as mine was The men in the Co. were very kind
to me One man was sent along with us to see that we were sup-
plied with water and any other necessary J. Norris 13 was in the
wagon with me

The 2nd day from Springfield my leg got so bad that I could not
walk on it and when I got to Rolla I could walk very little by
placing both hands on the left knee and throwing my weight on
my arms and going stooped over any other way I could not walk
a step The march from Springfield to Rolla was the hardest and
fatigueing of any march previous many of the men were taken
sick afterwards from the effects of it. The soldiers had worn out
nearly all thier clothes many were barefooted No Clothing had
been issued to the Kansas regts but blouse and socks The Iowa
1st had had clothing issued to them by the state but it was worn
out by the time we got to Rolla so that they were no better off than
the rest of us They went on to St. Louis and were mustered out
of service. Several regiments were at Rolla Rolla is the terminus
of the south western branch of the Pacific railroad We were seven
days on the march from Springfield to Rolla I lay one day at Rolla.

13. Pvt. John Norris, Company E, Second Kansas infantry.


[Hospitalized in St. Louis, August 19, 1861-February 13, 1862]

The 19th day of August I was placed on the cars and sent to St.
Louis ariving at the depot about seven P. M. Then placed in
wagons and taken to the General Hospital or Ware House of Ref-
uge The flags along the route and in St. Louis were at half mast
on account of the death of Gen. Lyon We arived at the hospital
just before dark and recieved some crackers to eat The worthy
Superintendent Dr. Bailey 14 of the regular army came around to
see us he apeared good natured kind and done every thing in his
power to make us comfortable As soon as beds could be made
down on the floor we went in and laid down My wound had by
this time healed on the outside but was very stiff and the muscles
contracting on the posterior of the bone had drawn it crooked I
could walk only by placing my hands on my knee and throwing
my weight on my hands The first night I slept very well Before
going to sleep a German M. D. came round and dressed all the
wounds he was very severe on wounds in which balls were lodged
trying to get as many balls as he could. He would make a much
better butcher than Dr. The next morning my leg pained me con-
siderable and was swelled considerably Cots were brought in to
day and our beds laid on them Dr. Patee of the 2nd Kansas was
detailed for duty in the hospital he was placed in charge of ward
B the one that I was in The ward accomodated about seventy pa-
tients and was filled with wounded

My wound continued to get worse untill Wednesday the 24th
when it broke and discharged a large quantity of matter I had
by this time procured a pair of crutches and walked about without
using it at all My wound continued discharging at least a pint a
day for two weeks The Dr. felt the ball repeatedly but it was so
deep that he could not extract it By the 10th of Sep. my wound
commenced getting better. It discharged less and my health im-
proved so that I -was able to take considerable exercise on cruches
My leg was still contracted so that I could not walk on it any
From this time till Oc. 20th my wound kept improving I had so
that I could walk a little without crutches but I never went out of
doors without them

Oc. 20th the process of getting the ball out was commenced
The Drs acertaining that it would never get well without First
poultices were put on it to draw the ball to the surface As soon

14. Surgeon Elisha I. Baily.


as this operation comenced my leg kept getting worse and my
health failed also At the end of two more weeks was having
slight chills nearly every day and was hardly able to get up out of
bed My leg was swelled very much some days discharging very
freely others none at all the wound had increased very much in
size turned black and the matter had a very offensive smell I had
some apprehensions of losing my leg altogether and cared but little
whether I lived or died.

The seventh of Nov. the ball was extracted by Drs. Patee and
Hoffersette[?] It had been lanced the day before by Dr. Patee
and discharged about a pint of bloody matter The morning of
the seventh before daylight I awoke and I could feel the ball lying
in the hole. When it was dressed the Dr touched it with the probe
it was in the flesh about an inch from the surface. He bandaged
it and I went back to bed About ten oclock the Dr. came in with
the instruments ready The ball was taken out of the back side of
my leg about an inch below the body. The first opperation was
to cut the hole larger This caused so much pain that it was de-
cided to give me some chloroform which was brought and sprinkled
on a hankerchief and placed on my nose It caused very severe
pain in my eyes for a moment then I thought that all the black-
smiths in creation were hammering on anvils close to my ears
Then I thought that I was screaming as loud as I could. Then
suddenly became exhausted and fell into a spasm After some time
I felt as if I had just awoke from a sound sleep I had a faint recolec-
tion of the ball being out and I asked the Dr. to show it to me
which he did and recolected the shape of it but this was all like a

When I awoke the dresser was sitting by the side of the bed the
windows raised the wind blowing in very freely two blankets over
me and lying on my back feeling very weak I did not know
whether the ball was out or not and not willing to express ignor-
ance on the point ventured to ask the dresser what kind of a ball
it was he answered a Miss, rifle ball This gave me a great deal,
of satisfaction confirming the hope that I entertained that it was
out He could hardly believe that I had been ignorant of what had
happened all the time On inquiry I acertained that when the Dr.
was drawing the ball I yelled most awfully so as to bring the
women out of the washhouse and friten the pe[r]sons in the vicinity
terribly the sentinel at the gate heard me, and then passed into a
very severe spasm, and remained for a few minutes as if dead Dur-


ing this time Dr. Bailey was sent for. The window opened and a
blanket taken off another bed and put on me. Chloroform was still
administered whenever any pain was felt in my leg Before noon
I was so far recovered that the constant attention of an attendant
was no longer necessary

When the Dr came in he showed me the ball It was the size of
a Minie musket The point had been mashed very much and one
side of the point had in striking the bone been mashed much more
Then the apearance of the ball indicates that the butt turned end
for end and went to the rear of the bone still making two marks,
by mashing the lead into the cavity of the butt of the ball About
four oclock in the afternoon I was able by the use of crutches to
go to the dressing room and have it dressed The pain had nearly
subsided and did not pain me much for several days but a fever
set in which kept me confined to my bed most of the time I could
smell chloroform occasionally for a few days. I had a diarrhea also
that kept me sick

In two weeks after the ball was taken out I commenced getting
better both in health and my wound By the 1st of Dec my health
was as good as could be expected and my leg had got so that I
could bear my weight on it By the 7th of Dec. I could walk on it
a few feet The eighteenth of Dec. was the first day that I went
entirely without any cruches but did not go any fa[r]ther than I
was obliged to, and that was very little. Chrismas day I went out-
side of the enclosure without crutches for the first time and went
about a qua[r]ter of a mile and back I now comenced thinking of
getting a discharge and leaving the army At that time I had no
hopes that my leg would ever get strait or so that I would ever be
able to do the duties of a soldier again. My wound continued
getting better slowly but surely from this time although but little
change could be discerned in a day as the weeks passed away I
could discover that I was getting better

By New Years the wound had got so much better than I expected
that I had commenced thinking of reinlisting in the army again By
this time no persons remained of the 2nd Kansas at the hospital
but Dr. Patee and myself Lieut. Lindsay came to the hospital to
see us one day and said that the regiment was mustered out of
service the last day of Oc.

Feb. 10th I applied for a discharge from the hospital and a re-
turn to duty. I had never recieved a discharge and could not be
considered as out of service I had determined on going to Leaven-


worth where the regiment was getting a discharge and reinlisting
in the 2nd Kansas Cav'ry which was in process of organization at
that place The hospital in which I was situated was in the south-
ern part of St. Louis in a very pleasant location for a hospital and
very well conducted the dicipline was strict but not to much so
for the good of sick and wounded soldier [s] The food was very
good most of the time The building was large enough to com-
fortably accomodate five hundred patients and most of the time
there were many more than that there I had the mumps pretty
severe just before I left the hospital Cases of small pox were not
uncommon. Two cases of the disease was in the same ward I was
in till they were broke out and then removed to a hospital in an-
other part of the city Diarrhea and colds the latter occasioned by
the subjects having had the measles first and taken cold before
they fully recovered were the most prevalent diseases at the hos-

On the 13th I left St. Louis for Leavenworth having obtained a
pass for that purpose. I went by the North Missouri railroad to
Macon city then to St. Jo. by the Hanibal and St. Jo. railroad
North Missouri is much better adapted for agriculture than I had
supposed being plenty of timber and prairie. At nearly every sta-
tion soldiers . . . [The rest of this manuscript is lacking. But
the second narrative picks up Osborne's story six days later, so little
of his account is lost.]

[Enlistment in the Second Kansas Cavalry, 1862]

On the 19th of February 1862 I enlisted in the 2nd Kansas Cav-
alry at Leavenworth City Kansas This regiment was partially or-
ganized out of men that had been in the 2nd Kan Inf which had
been mustered out of service in Oc. 1861 For the purpose of or-
ganizing the new regiment the field officers and Capt Crawford of
the old regiment had been retained in service At the date of my
enlistment four companies had been partially organized and mus-
tered into service and were doing Provost Guard duty at Leaven-
worth City Maj. Cloud had command and was also Provost Mar-
shal of the city I was enlisted by Lieut Pratt and mustered in but
the muster was illegal as no volunteer officer had any right to mus-
ter in men at that time About the first of March the 2nd and Ninth
Kansas regiments were consolidated and was at first called the
9th but soon after the name was changed to the 2nd

On the 8th of March we turned in all our infantry arms and
equipments and drew cavalry equipments, on the 9th drew our


horses and the 10th left Leavenworth leading the horses that were
to be used by the battalion of the ninth On the llth arrived at
Quindaro a town situated about thirty miles below Leavenworth
on the Missouri river where the 9th had been quartered during the
winter The field officers of the regiment were R. B. Mitchel[l]
Colonel O. A. Bassett Lieut. Col. C. W. Blair J. G. Fisk and
[J. M.] Pomeroy Majors John Pratt Adjutant I belonged to Capt.
Crawfords Co. which was designated as Co. H, S. J. Crawford,
Capt. J. Johnston, 1st Lieut.

We left Quindaro on the 12th passed through Wyandotte crossed
the Kansas river and went through Shawnee town and camped on
the prairie one mile from town naming the camp Camp Blair where
we remained about six weeks We drilled three hours and had a
dress parade every day when tlie weather permited and were under
strict disipline not being allowed to leave camp with out passes,
and they were given to but two men in a Co. daily

[A Raid on Quantrill's Guerrillas 15 ]

On the 22nd of March we drew our carbines they were short
light and inferior arms called the Austrian Carbine At five oclock
in the afternoon of the same day Col. Mitchel ordered three hun-
dred men to be ready to march at six with one days rations with
six rounds of cartriges each that being all the cartriges that could
be procured at that time By the time appointed we were ready
and devided into thre[e] divisions Capt Russell commanding the
detachments of Cos. H, K, and F, Col. Mitchel accompaning this
detachment. We arived at Santa Fee, a town near the Missouri
line about eleven oclock, and the other detachments arived soon
after. Thirty men were sent forward under the command of Maj
Pomeroy to see if he could find the enemy; the rest of the com-
mand stopped fed our horses but did not try to sleep any

Four miles from Santa Fee Maj Pomeroy dismounted his men
and advanced cautiously to a house where the enemy were sup-
posed to be Twenty one horses were tied to the fence in front of
the house bridled and saddled and the enemy were in the house
The enemy were immediately attacked by our men firing into the
windows and doors they returned the fire with spirit severely
wounding Maj Pomeroy in the thigh 16 and slightly wounding an-

15. Quantrill and his men had just burned the bridge between Kansas City and Inde-
pendence, Mo. Colonel Mitchell hoped to surround and capture the guerrillas. War of
the Rebellion, Series I, v. 8, pp. 346, 347.

16. The Union casualties were Major Pomeroy (severely wounded), Pvt. William Wills,
Company D (died of wounds), and two horses killed. Of Quantrill's men, seven were
known to have been killed, and six were taken prisoner. Ibid., p. 347.


other man the house being made of logs afforded the enemy shel-
ter but some of our men succeeded in getting to the chimney corner
and setting it on fire The rebels seeing no hope of extinguishing
the flames led by their leader Quantrell threw open the door
rushed out and run for the woods a volley was fired into them as
they came out killing one and mortally wounding three more
Quantrill escaped but it was at first supposed he was severely
wounded but it was subsequently acertained that he was not As
soon as the house was attacked a messenger was sent back to Col.
Mitchel and he brought the command up on double quick but
was too late to take part in the skirmish We scoured the woods in
every direction but could not find Quantrill.

Just before daylight we went back to the house helped ourselves
to what apples we wanted a wagon load of which had been loaded
the night before to take to our camp and sell The dead man was
recognized as an apple peddler who had been in our camp often
Six bodies were said to have been burned in the house At day-
light we mounted and scoured the country around at one house
we found breakfast prepared for several men but they seeing us
took to the woods and escaped Two sabres were found here be-
sides powder flasks, canteens, etc About noon we started for camp
arriving there about four oclock in the afternoon

On the 14th of April Capt Crawford took command of the Co.
he having been sick in Leavenworth since we left there in march
and the Co. was organized H. Nugent was appointed 1st sergeant,
the other noncommissioned officers were Quin, Archer, Romine,
Wilson, and J. P. Hiner, Sergeants; Shannon, Hewitt, Stowell, Nye,
Williams, Myers, Sample, and Simons, corporals They were ap-
pointed by Capt Crawford which created considerable dissatisfac-
tion in the Co. at the time as he had promised many of the Co.
when they enlisted that the non commissioned officers should be
elected by vote On the 15th the Cos. were lettered according to
the rank of the Capts Capt. Crawfords Co. was designated as A
Hopkins 17 B Whitten[h]alls C Moores D Gardners E Cam-
eron F Matthews G, Guenthers [Gunthers] H Ayer [Ayres] I
and Russells K.

[En Route to Fort Riley, April, 1862]

On Sunday morning the 20th of April the regiment left Camp
Blair [Mo.] and started for Fort Riley The first day passed
through the towns of Chilicothe and Montecello camped the sec-

17. Company B was later captained by Elias S. Stover.


ond night near Eudora and arived at Lawrence in the afternoon of
the 23rd We drew our revolvers on the 20th They were the
French defacheur pistols and shot metalic cartriges 18 but no cart-
riges had at that time been procured We remained at Lawrence
until the 26th While there one hundred and fifty men were de-
tailed out of the regiment for a Co. of artilery and sent to Leaven-
worth Lawrence is situated on the south bank of the Kansas river
and next to Leavenworth in size of the cities of Kansas Steamers
go up there in some seasons of the year

We left Lawrence on the twenty sixth and passed through Big
Springs Tecumseh and Topeka and camped two miles from the
latter place the 28th. Topeka is the capital of Kansas [It] is
situated on the southern bank of the Kansas river The houses are
mostly built of stone and the inhabitants eastern people Timber is
not as abuntant between Lawrence as in the eastern part of the
state We mustered and had a regimental review on the 30th of
April the latter was witnessed by a large number of citezens

The third of May we left Topeka and arived at Fort Riley on the
sixth Our route lay along south of the river at times miles from
it But few houses were to be seen on our route but the land was
fertile and timber scarce Fort Riley is situated at the junction of
the Republican and Smoky Hill Forks which form the Kansas

Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 20) → online text (page 15 of 76)