Kansas State Historical Society.

The Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 20) online

. (page 9 of 76)
Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 20) → online text (page 9 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


active in patriotic and veterans' organizations as well as in civic and social
groups. In every move for a better community his personal influence and the



THE ANNUAL MEETING 63

influence of his newspaper could always be counted on. Kansas has lost in
him one of her finest and most upright citizens. He will be long remembered
by his friends.

Mr. Riegle moved that the memorials be spread on the records
of the Society and that copies be sent to members of the families.
The motion was seconded by Joseph C. Shaw.

The report of the committee on nominations was called for:

REPORT OF COMMITTEE ON NOMINATIONS FOR DIRECTORS

September 26, 1951.
To the Kansas State Historical Society:

Your committee on nominations submits the following report and recom-
mendations for directors of the Society for the term of three years ending
October, 1954:

Bailey, Roy F., Salina. - McArthur, Mrs. Vernon E.,

Beezley, George F., Girard. Hutchinson.

Bowlus, Thomas H., lola. McFarland, Helen M., Topeka.

Brinkerhoff, Fred W., Pittsburg. Malone, James, Topeka.

Campbell, Mrs. Spurgeon B., Mechem, Kirke, Topeka.

Kansas City. Mueller, Harrie S., Wichita.

Cron, F. H., El Dorado. Philip, Mrs. W. D., Hays.

Ebright, Homer K., Baldwin. Rankin, Robert C., Lawrence.

Farrell, F. D., Manhattan. Ruppenthal, J. C., Russell.

Gray, John M., Kirwin. Sayers, Wm. L., Hill City.

Hamilton, R. L., Beloit. Simons, W. C., Lawrence.

Harger, Charles M., Abilene. Skinner, Alton H., Kansas City.

Harvey, Mrs. A. M., Topeka. Stanley, W. E., Wichita.

Haucke, Frank, Council Grove. Stone, Robert, Topeka.

Hodges, Frank, Olathe. Taft, Robert, Lawrence.

Lingenfelser, Angelus, Atchison. Templar, George, Arkansas City.

Long, Richard M., Wichita. Trembly, W. B., Kansas City.

W T oodring, Harry H., Topeka.
Respectfully submitted,

JOHN S. DAWSON, Chairman.

On motion by John S. Dawson, seconded by W. F. Thompson,
the report of the committee was accepted unanimously and the
members of the board were declared elected for the term ending
in October, 1954.

There being no further business, the annual meeting of the So-
ciety adjourned.

Refreshments were served in the secretary's office at the close of
the meeting. Mrs. Frank Haucke presided.



64



KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY



MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS

The afternoon meeting of the board of directors was called to
order by President Haucke. He asked for a rereading of the report
of the nominating committee for officers of the Society. The re-
port was read by John S. Dawson, chairman, who moved that it be
accepted. Motion was seconded by Mrs. W. D. Philip and the fol-
lowing were unanimously elected:

For a one-year term: William T. Beck, Holton, president; Robert
Taft, Lawrence, first vice-president; Angelo Scott, lola, second vice-
president.

For a two-year term: Nyle H. Miller, Topeka, secretary.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned.



DIRECTORS OF THE KANSAS STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
AS OF OCTOBER, 1951

DIRECTORS FOR THE YEAR ENDING OCTOBER, 1952



Barr, Frank, Wichita.
Berryman, Jerome C., Ashland.
Brigham, Mrs. Lalla M., Council

Grove.

Brock, R. F., Goodland.
Bumgardner, Edward, Lawrence.
Correll, Charles M., Manhattan.
Davis, W. W., Lawrence.
Denious, Jess C., Dodge City.
Fay, Mrs. Mamie Axline, Pratt.
Godsey, Mrs. Flora R., Emporia.
Hall, Mrs. Carrie A., Leavenworth.
Hall, Standish, Wichita.
Hegter, Ben F., Wichita.
Jones, Horace, Lyons.
Lillard, T. M., Topeka.
Lindquist, Emory K., Lindsborg.



Lindsley, H. K., Wichita.
Means, Hugh, Lawrence.
Norton, Gus S., Kalvesta.
Owen, Arthur K., Topeka.
Owen, Mrs. E. M., Lawrence.
Patrick, Mrs. Mae C., Satanta.
Payne, Mrs. L. F., Manhattan.
Riegle, Wilford, Emporia.
Rupp, Mrs. Jane C., Lincolnville.
Scott, Angelo, lola.
Sloan, E. R., Topeka.
Smelser, Mary M., Lawrence.
Stewart, Mrs. James G., Topeka.
Van De Mark, M. V. B., Concordia^
Wark, George H., Caney.
Williams, Charles A., Bentley.
Wooster, Lorraine E., Salina.



DIRECTORS FOR THE YEAR ENDING OCTOBER, 1953



Aitchison, R. T., Wichita.
Anderson, George L., Lawrence.
Anthony, D. R., Leavenworth.
Baugher, Charles A., Ellis.
Beck, Will T., Holton.
Capper, Arthur, Topeka.
Carson, F. L., Wichita.
Chambers, Lloyd, Wichita.
Chandler, C. J., Wichita.
Cotton, Corlett J., Lawrence.
Dawson, John S., Hill City.
Euwer, Elmer E., Goodland.
Farley, Alan W., Kansas City.
Hobble, Frank A., Dodge City.
Hogin, John C., Belleville.
Hunt, Charles L., Concordia.
Knapp, Dallas W., Coffeyville.



Lilleston, W. F., Wichita.
Malin, James C., Lawrence.
Mayhew, Mrs. Patricia Solander,

Topeka.

Miller, Karl, Dodge City.
Moore, Russell, Wichita.
Raynesford, H. C., Ellis.
Redmond, John, Burlington.
Rodkey, Clyde K., Manhattan.
Russell, W. J., Topeka.
Shaw, Joseph C., Topeka.
Somers, John G., Newton.
Stewart, Donald, Independence.
Thomas, E. A., Topeka.
Thompson, W. F., Topeka.
Van Tuyl, Mrs. Effie H., Leavenworth.
Walker, Mrs. Ida M., Norton.



THE ANNUAL MEETING



65



DIRECTORS FOR THE YEAR ENDING OCTOBER, 1954



Bailey, Roy F., Salina.
Beezley, George F., Girard.
Bowlus, Thomas H., lola.
Brinkerhoff, Fred W., Pittsburg.
Campbell, Mrs. Spurgeon B.,

Kansas City.
Cron, F. H., El Dorado.
Ebright, Homer K., Baldwin.
Farrell, F. D., Manhattan.
Gray, John M., Kirwin.
Hamilton, R. L., Beloit.
Harger, Charles M., Abilene.
Harvey, Mrs. A. M., Topeka.
Haucke, Frank, Council Grove.
Hodges, Frank, Olathe.
Lingenfelser, Angelus, Atchison.
Long, Richard M., Wichita.



McArthur, Mrs. Vernon E., Hutchinson.

McFarland, Helen M., Topeka.

Malone, James, Topeka.

Mechem, Kirke, Topeka.

Mueller, Harrie S., Wichita.

Philip, Mrs. W. D., Hays.

Rankin, Robert C., Lawrence.

Ruppenthal, J. C., Russell.

Sayers, Wm. L., Hill City.

Simons, W. C., Lawrence.

Skinner, Alton H., Kansas City.

Stanley, W. E., Wichita.

Stone, Robert, Topeka.

Taft, Robert, Lawrence.

Templar, George, Arkansas City.

Trembly, W. B., Kansas City.

Woodring, Harry H., Topeka.



51264



Bypaths of Kansas History

WESTERN KANSAS REPORTS ON AN INDIANA EDITORIAL EXCURSION

IN 1879

From the Lakin Eagle, August 22, 1879.

What queer ideas eastern people have of things in general out west. The
editorial excursion that halted at Dodge yesterday, were wonderfully inquisitive
when they beheld a large ox train standing near the depot ready for their
trip south. The greatest curiosity was manifested by these people from the
east. While some were endeavoring to ascertain the number of oxen hitched
to one wagon and began counting the animals up one side and down the other
others were speculating how it was possible to get the yoke on these cattle
with such extended horns, but when told that they had been yoked when quite
young, they appeared perfectly satisfied, and were quite certain it was next
to improbability to place yokes on oxen with horns six feet from tip to tip.
Another was closely scrutinizing the wheels of the wagon, making measure-
ments of the fore wheels and comparing the measurement with the hind
wheels, which he found were considerable the largest. Just what particular
ideas run through his mind we are unable to guess unless it was how those
small wheels could keep out of the way of the larger ones. Still another
picked up one of the drivers long whips, and as he had had early training in
driving his father's oxen while turning over the virgin soil of Indiana, he of
course could not resist the temptation of giving an exhibition of his skill in
handling a bull whip.

The first sweep he made raked three bonnets and two plug hats besides
twisting the lash around his own neck several times, which came very near
choking him to death he lost no time in extracting himself and getting to the
car, where, no doubt, he was severely censured by the ladies and gentlemen
for his actions. Ford County Globe.

Yes, what funny nonsensical ideas Easternites do have of "out-west."

While stopping at Lakin for dinner, some surmised perhaps that even
victuals were furnished free, and they ate accordingly; and after the conductor
having waited twenty-five minutes longer than the usual time, hallooed "all
aboard," a burly Hoosierite, who, from his outward appearance had already
taken down an over-sufficiency, remarked:

"Say conductor, it was agreed that we have plenty of time to get our meals,
and I ain't fairly commenced yet!"

Another who saw a slow move of the train which was pulling ahead
to get more water no doubt to quench the thirst of the weary traveler on his
farther sojourn, was about to yell, "hold on!" when his immense understand-
ing covered by a pair of box-toe styled number twelves, struck a clod of ye
hard "virgin soil," plunging his helpless remains head-long into a pool of mud,
not more than fifteen feet distant from him, terribly dilapidating a fine plug
hat, and shamefully plastering his uncommonly huge proboscis.

The third sincerely wanted to know whether it was not "lonesome" out

(66)



BYPATHS OF KANSAS HISTORY 67

here? How could it be when we are almost constantly entertained by similar
preliminaries as the above?

Notwithstanding "all in all," we were led to believe that the growing and
yet forthcoming "Hoosier Press" will be vastly appreciated, as we noticed
some very handsome and intelligent looking young lady typographers in the
"out-fit," and to those who took occasion to grace our small sanctum we feel
very thankful.

When ye take another excursion brethern, take with ye a pilot who will
guide you safely through; an interpreter who can demonstrate to you fully
those many encumbrances that ye are liable to encounter on such an occasion,
and don't fail to bring with ye a "Baron Rothschild" with lots of ready money,
for those who erred so ignominiously.

OBSERVER.



A BIBLE FOR THE STATE HOUSE
From the Salina Evening Journal, May 10, 1916.

MARSHAL NEEDS BIBLE

State Auditor Surprised When Hussey's Bill for Good Book Was Presented
Topeka, May 10 Of course if Lew T. Hussey, state fire marshal, wants to
spend $1.25 of the state's funds for a Bible, W. E. Davis, state auditor, prob-
ably will not turn down the voucher. But when the said voucher was pre-
sented at the auditor's office today without a word of explanation Davis'
curiosity was aroused.

"Now I wonder what Hussey wants with a Bible in his office," mused
Davis. "Of course, as state fire marshal he is always fighting fire. But he
hasn't said anything about using the Bible in his war against fire loss."
So Davis sat down and wrote the following letter to Hussey:
"I have the voucher which you have approved for the purchase of one
Bible. This item is so unusual that I believe some explanation should be re-
quested. I am returning you the voucher and would be pleased to have you
indorse thereon the purpose for which the Book is to be used in the work of
your department."

While no official explanation is forthcoming from Hussey's office, it is
understood that his able and resourceful assistant, Imri Zumwalt of Bonner
Springs, intends to use quotations from the Bible to send out dope urging
all good citizens to fight the fire loss. The voucher will probably be allowed
in the long run. In fact, Davis says there are several other departments for
which he would be glad to approve vouchers for the purchase of Bibles, if
the heads of the departments would agree to read all the Ten Commandments
and the Golden Rule.



Kansas History as Published in the Press

Part 3 of "The Geography of Kansas/' by Walter H. Schoewe, and
"Kansas Flood Producing Rains of 1951," by R. A. Garrett, were
included in the September, 1951, issue of Transactions of the Kansas
Academy of Science, Lawrence. Some items of Kansas history of
1871 were recalled by Editor Robert Taft in the December issue.
In that year the Kansas Natural History Society became The Kansas
Academy of Science. Also in the December number were the
Transactions' annual list of Kansas college enrollments and "A Geo-
graphic Study of Population and Settlement Changes in Sherman
County, Kansas/' by Walter M. Koolmorgen and George F. Jenks.

Ernest Dewey's column of historical stories and legends has con-
tinued to appear regularly in the Hutchinson News-Herald. Some
of the recent articles included: "Dry Dust Has Buried Mysteries
[Disappearance of Early-Day Travelers on the Prairie] Forever/'
September 16, 1951; "The Winning of the West Was Not Entirely a
Masculine Job/' October 7; "Dick [Broadwell] Did Well, But It
Wasn't in Cattle," a sketch of a member of the Dalton gang, No-
vember 4; "A Pioneer Pathfinder [Jedediah Smith] Buried in Lost
Grave," November 18; "Gunman Ed [Prather] Tried to Run His
Luck Too Long," November 25, and stories of Asa T. Soule, who
established the town of Ingalls and built a 96-mile irrigation ditch
on the Arkansas river, January 6, 13, 1952.

The Hoisington Dispatch, September 20, 1951, printed a history
of the Hoisington Methodist church. In 1887 the Rev. F. F. Bern-
storf came to Hoisington and began the organization. Work was
begun on the first church building in 1889.

The High Plains Journal, Dodge City, has continued to publish
Heinie Schmidt's historical column, "It's Worth Repeating." Among
recent articles were: "Offerle, Our Neighbor to the East," Septem-
ber 27, 1951; "The Glory That Was Santa Fe [Kansas]," October 18,
25; "Mount Jesus, an Early-Day Landmark on the Ft. Dodge-Camp
Sully Trail," November 8; "The Dalton Hangout and the Cimarron
Holdup," December 13; "Sixty-Sixth Anniversary of White Fury
From the Sky," a history of the blizzard of 1886, January 3, 1952;
"Site of a Hodgeman County Ghost Town Recalls Unfilled Dream
of Pioneers," the story of Morton City, an all-Negro settlement, by
E. W. Harlan, January 10, and "Slaves Find Freedom in Morton,
Now Hodgeman Co. Ghost Town," January 17.

(68)



Kansas Historical Notes

Officers recently elected by the Russell County Historical Society
were: John G. Deines, president; Judge J. C. Ruppenthal and
Luther D. Landon, vice-presidents; Merlin Morphy, secretary; A. J.
Olson, treasurer, and Mrs. Dora H. Morrison, director.

Dr. Edward Bumgardner, Lawrence, was the featured speaker at
the September 26, 1951, meeting of the Shawnee Mission Indian
Historical Society of northeast Johnson county. Newly elected offi-
cers of the society are: Mrs. James Glenn Bell, president, Mrs.
Homer Bair, 1st vice-president; Mrs. David M. Huber, 2d vice-presi-
dent; Mrs. Tom Davis, recording secretary; Mrs. John Blake, cor-
responding secretary; Mrs. Chas. Houlehan, treasurer; Mrs. Kenneth
Carbaugh, historian; Mrs. C. L. Curry, curator; Mrs. A. M. Meyers,
chaplain, and Mrs. John Barkley, parliamentarian.

A group of 265 Kiowa county pioneers attended the annual Old
Settlers Day party in Greensburg October 4, 1951. Purple ribbons
were awarded to 81, indicating over 60 years in the county. Officers
chosen for the coming year included: Will Sluder, president; C. E.
Freeman, 1st vice-president; Robert Parkin, 2d vice-president; Mrs.
Benjamin Weaver, secretary, and Mrs. L. V. Keller, treasurer. The
Kiowa County Historical Society is going ahead with plans to build
a memorial museum in the Big Well park in Greensburg. Several
sizable donations have already been received.

Mrs. Mary Ellen Smith Dorsey was elected president of the Clark
County Historical Society at the annual meeting and pioneer mixer
in Ashland, October 27, 1951. Other officers elected included: Paul
Randall, vice-president; Mrs. Charles McCasland and Jerome C.
Berryman, honorary vice-presidents; Melville Campbell Harper,
recording secretary; Rhea Gross, corresponding secretary; William
Moore, treasurer; Mrs. Dorothy Berryman Shrewder, historian; Mrs.
Bertha McCreery Gabbert, curator, and Myron G. Stevenson, audi-
tor. Speaker at the meeting was Heinie Schmidt of Dodge City,
who spoke on the purpose and need of local historical societies.

Nyle Miller, secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, dis-
cussed the writing of the four constitutions for Kansas at the annual
meeting of the Riley County Historical Association, October 29,
1951. Dr. C. W. McCampbell was elected president of the organi-

(69)



70 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY

zation. Other officers chosen included: Alvin Springer, vice-presi-
dent; Mrs. Max Wolf, secretary, and Joe Haines, treasurer. Di-
rectors elected were Bruce Wilson, Mrs. Eva Knox and Dr. George
Filinger. C. A. Kimball was the retiring president.

B. H. Oesterreich, Woodbine, was chosen president of the Dickin-
son County Historical Society at the October 31, 1951, meeting in
Chapman. Other officers elected were: Mrs. Viola Ehrsam, Enter-
prise, 1st vice-president, and Mrs. Lawrence Kehler, Solomon, sec-
retary. All were elected for two-year terms of office. Included on
the program were papers on the history of Chapman, churches of
Chapman and the Dickinson county high school.

The first annual meeting of the Comanche County Historical So-
ciety was held in Protection, November 5, 1951. Willis Shattuck,
Ashland, pioneer of Clark county, gave an address on "Pioneering,
Then and Now." The officers of the society were re-elected. They
are: Warren P. Morton, Coldwater, president; Fred Denney, Pro-
tection, vice-president; Mrs. Nellie Riner, Protection, recording
secretary; Mrs. Lillian Lyon, Coldwater, corresponding secretary,
and F. H. Moberley, Wilmore, treasurer.

A dinner meeting of the Wyandotte County Historical Society
was held November 6, 1951, with Nyle Miller, secretary of the Kan-
sas State Historical Society, as the principal speaker. Officers were
elected as follows: Alan W. Farley, president; Stanley B. Richards,
1st vice-president; Grant Harrington, 2d vice-president; Sixten
Shogran, secretary, and Harry Hanson, treasurer. Clifford R. Mill-
sap was the retiring president.

Dr. Ernest Mahan was elected president of the Crawford County
Historical Society at the annual meeting in Pittsburg November 8,
1951. Other officers chosen were: Prof. L. E. Curfman, vice-presi-
dent; Mrs. Mae Stroud, secretary, and Mrs. William Walker, treas-
urer. Directors elected were: Oscar Anderson, Mrs. Cecil Gregg
and Mrs. Viola Holroyd. Ralph Shideler was the retiring president.
The Rev. Harold R. Karnes gave an illustrated lecture at the meeting
on the building of King Solomon's temple.

The Stevens County Historical Society was organized at a meeting
in Hugoton November 15, 1951, under the sponsorship of the Hugo-
ton Woman's Club. Mrs. Ben Parsons was elected president. Edith
Thomson was elected vice-president and Margaret Morgan secre-
tary-treasurer. Speakers at the meeting were Nolan McWhirter,



KANSAS HISTORICAL NOTES 71

curator of the No-Man's Land Historical Museum, Goodwell, Okla.,
and Heinie Schmidt, Dodge City.

M. N. Penny was elected president of the Lawrence Historical
Society at the annual meeting December 4, 1951. Other officers
elected were: Lathrop B. Read, Jr., vice-president; Mrs. L. H.
Menger, secretary, and R. B. Stevens, treasurer. Members of the
board of directors are: Dolph Simons, Mrs. E. M. Owen, Maud
Smelser, Shipman Winter, Jr., and Mrs. Robert Haggart. Principal
speaker at the meeting was Nyle Miller, secretary of the Kansas
State Historical Society, who spoke on early Kansas newspapers and
journalism. A permanent historical museum in the city building is
planned for Lawrence. Members of a city historical committee,
appointed by City Manager James Wigglesworth to gather and
preserve historical items, are: Walter Varnum, chairman; R. B.
Stevens, secretary, and Mrs. E. M. Owen, Maud Smelser and Arthur
B. Weaver.

John S. Dawson was the principal speaker at the annual meeting
of the Shawnee County Historical Society in Topeka December 11,
1951. Trustees elected for three-year terms were: J. Clyde Fink,
A. J. Carruth, Jr., J. Glenn Logan, Charlotte McLellan, Mrs. Erwin
Keller, T. M. Lillard, Mrs. Harold Cone, Maud Bishop, Helen M.
McFarland and Harry Colmery. Homer B. Fink was chosen to fill
the vacancy caused by the death of Paul B. Sweet. Paul Lovewell
presided at the meeting in the absence of T. M. Lillard, president.
The trustees met January 22, 1952, and re-elected the officers.
They are: T. M. Lillard, president; Paul Lovewell, vice-president;
Paul Adams, secretary, and Annie B. Sweet, treasurer. The group
considered a proposal that the old city library building be used for a
museum after it is vacated by the library.

The 34th annual dinner meeting of the Native Sons and Daughters
of Kansas was held January 28, 1952, with Dr. Franklin D. Murphy,
chancellor of the University of Kansas, as the guest speaker. The
Senator Capper award for the winner of the collegiate speech con-
test was presented to William Nulton, Pittsburg. Nyle H. Miller,
secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, gave a memorial
tribute to the late Sen. Arthur Capper. C. W. Porterfield, Holton,
was elected president of the Native Sons, and Mrs. Ray S. Pierson,
Burlington, of the Native Daughters. Other officers chosen by the
Native Sons were: Maurice Fager, Topeka, vice-president; R. A.
Clymer, El Dorado, secretary, and G. Clay Baker, Topeka, treasurer.



72 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY

Other officers of the Native Daughters are: Mrs. David McCreath,
Lawrence, vice-president; Mrs. Ethel Godin, Wamego, secretary,
and Mrs. Ivan Dayton Jones, Lyons, treasurer.

The Land Mortgage Company in the Early Plains States, is the
title of an article by Allan G. Bogue, University of Western Ontario,
London, Canada, printed recently in pamphlet form. Presented
first at a meeting of the Agricultural History Society and the Mis-
sissippi Valley Historical Association on April 20, 1950, the article
was published in Agricultural History, Baltimore, January, 1951.

The 80th anniversary address by Dr. Emory Lindquist at the con-
vention of the Kansas Conference of the Augustana Lutheran
Church, Loveland, Colo., April 30, 1950, has been published in a
15-page booklet. The Kansas conference was organized in 1870
with the Rev. A. W. Dahlsten as the first president. Kansas, Ne-
braska and Missouri were included in the conference area.

A brief history of the German-Russian settlements in Ellis county
was published recently in a four-page pamphlet entitled Diamond
Jubilee German-Russian Colonists, 1876-1951. Included are the
names of the colonists still living who arrived in the county in 1876-
1878.

The story of the cattle drives, and the trails, towns and people
involved, is told in Trail Drive Days, new 264-page book by Dee
Brown and Martin F. Schmitt, illustrated with 229 photographs and
sketches.

The History of Baker University is a 356-page, recently published
book by Homer K. Ebright of Baldwin. The organization of the
college was accomplished in 1857 and the charter granted by the
territorial legislature early in 1858.

Dodge City, 1872-1886, "the wickedest little city in America," is
portrayed in Stanley Vestal's new book, Queen of Cowtowns
Dodge City (New York, c!952).



THE



KANSAS HISTORICAL
QUARTERLY



May 1952



N




Published by

Kansas State Historical Society

Topeka



KIRKE MECHEM JAMES C. MALIN NYLE H. MILLER

Editor Associate Editor Managing Editor



CONTENTS



THE GREAT FLOOD OF 1844 ALONG THE KANSAS AND

MARAIS DES CYGNES RIVERS S. D. Flora, 73

FARMER DEBTORS IN PIONEER KINSLEY Allan G. Bogue, 82

VINCENT B. OSBORNE'S CIVIL WAR EXPERIENCES,

Edited by Joyce Farlow and Louise Barry, 108

RECENT ADDITIONS TO THE LIBRARY,

Compiled by Helen M. McFarland, Librarian, 134

BYPATHS OF KANSAS HISTORY 150

KANSAS HISTORY AS PUBLISHED IN THE PRESS 152

KANSAS HISTORICAL NOTES 159

The Kansas Historical Quarterly is published in February, May, August and
November by the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, Kan., and is dis-
tributed free to members. Correspondence concerning contributions may be
sent to the secretary of the Historical Society. The Society assumes no respon-
sibility for statements made by contributors.

Entered as second-class matter October 22, 1931, at the post office at To-
peka, Kan., under the act of August 24, 1912.



THE COVER

Post headquarters at Fort Leavenworth in 1872. The fort
is this year celebrating its 125th anniversary. The picture is
through the courtesy of Sgt. W. O. Yount.



THE KANSAS
HISTORICAL QUARTERLY

Volume XX Mat/, 1952 Number 2

The Great Flood of 1844 Along the Kansas and
Marais des Cygnes Rivers

S. D. FLORA

A VAILABLE records indicate that the flood of 1844 was five to
-** six and one half feet higher than the disastrous flood of 1951
from Manhattan to below LawreiTce on the Kansas river, and at



Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 20) → online text (page 9 of 76)