Kansas State Historical Society.

The Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) online

. (page 10 of 59)
Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) → online text (page 10 of 59)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The library's file of histories and sketches of individual churches, usually
written on the occasion of an anniversary, is far from complete. Last summer
51 letters were written to churches which had celebrated either 75th anni-
versaries or centennials during the years 1957 and 1958, asking for copies of
any printed materials issued in connection with the anniversary. Twenty-three
replies were received. It is apparent from these figures that the help of our
members and friends is needed.

In the clipping department one year's issues of nine dailies and 14 weeklies
were read in addition to the seven dailies which are regularly read and clipped.
New clippings totaling 6,320 were mounted and 15 worn scrapbooks, com-
prising 3,643 pages, were remounted.

A microcard reader was purchased and microcards of 105 genealogies and
local histories, now out-of-print, were purchased. The cost of microcards is
only a fraction of the cost of original books, particularly out-of-print books
offered by rare book dealers. Thus far only genealogical materials have been
purchased, but many other books are now being reproduced on microcards
and some will be purchased in the future.

Several Kansas authors have donated copies of their books during the year
and an unusually large number of genealogies have been received from out-of-



THE ANNUAL MEETING 79

state authors. Paul Popenoe, Mr. and Mrs. John F. Amos, and J. Frank Dobie
are among those who contributed collections of books and pamphlets. Bio-
graphical sketches of Kansas governor's wives came from the Woman's Kansas
Day Club which each year does research on a Kansas subject and files the
papers written with the Historical Society's library. The National Society of
the Colonial Dames of America in the state of Kansas has established a special
fund, the interest from which is given to the Society's library each year for
the purchase of genealogical material. The past year county histories of
Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Indiana were purchased from this fund. Mrs. Vir-
ginia McArthur donated the membership list and index of ancestors of the
National Society Daughters of Colonial Wars, 1950-1958. Mr. and Mrs. Frank
Helm gave money for two reels of microfilm. The Daughters of the American
Revolution, Daughters of American Colonists, and several separate chapters
donated volumes of typed records as well as money to apply on the purchase
of the 1850 federal census of New York state.

Typed copies of the following theses were donated by the authors: "Per-
suasive Techniques in Selected Speeches and Writings of John R. Brinkley,"
by Anita Grim Taylor, and "A Congressman and His Constituents: Jerry Simp-
son and the Big Seventh," by M. C. Scott. Mr. and Mrs. Harrie K. Mueller
gave a copy of "The Initiation of Mail Distribution and Communication in
Eastern Kansas, 1828-1870," by Mrs. Jean De Masters Folse.

Kansas Doctor; A Century of Pioneering, by Thomas Neville Bonner, and
A Frontier State At War: Kansas, 1861-1865, by Albert Castel, were out-
standing Kansas books of the year. A third book deserves to be mentioned,
Concerning Kansas by Richardson, edited by D. von R. Drenner, which won
an award for design and craftsmanship last spring. This book, published by
the Zauberberg Press at Coffeyville, was put together entirely by hand, printed
with a mixed-to-order ink on a special all-rag paper from France, and hand
bound with Shizuoka Vellum for the spine. It is a beautiful example of fine
printing.

Library accessions, October 1, 1958-September 30, 1959, were:
Bound volumes
Books

Kansas 225

General 1,090

Genealogy and local history 118

Indians and the West 53

Kansas state publications 54

Total 1,540

Clippings 14

Periodicals 229

Total, bound volumes 1,783

Microcards (titles) 105

Microfilm (reels) 79

Pamphlets

Kansas 3,126

General 572

Genealogy and local history 23

Indians and the West 18

Kansas state publications 266

Total 4,005



80 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY

MANUSCRIPT DIVISION

Holla Clymer, editor and publisher of the El Dorado Times, has deposited
his papers for the period 1919-1958. The collection fills 53 letter file boxes.
Mr. Clymer began his newspaper career as a reporter on the Emporia Gazette
under William Allen White. His identification with the Times dates from
1919. He has been active in the field of politics, has served as director of the
Kansas Industrial Development Commission, president of the Kansas Press
Association, and was recently given the William Allen White award for ex-
cellence in journalism. His papers should provide valuable information in the
areas of his activities.

Diaries of Thomas A. Bone for the years 1877-1881 were given by his grand-
daughter, Phoebe Lovell Bone Bell, Beaumont, Tex. Bone came to Kansas
from Illinois and operated a stock farm in Franklin county. The diaries offer
many details about his farming operations, current prices, and business condi-
tions.

The Jess C. Denious collection, received in 1954, has been increased by
about 1,000 items received from his son, Jess C. Denious, Jr., Dodge City.
This collection is of unusual value and interest.

W. W. Harris, Santa Rosa, Calif., has presented the original field notes
of John C. McCoy's survey of the Cherokee lands, 1836-1837. Mr. Harris
is a grandson of John C. McCoy and a great grandson of Isaac McCoy, Baptist
missionary.

Papers of the late Marco Morrow have been given to the Society by Mrs.
Morrow. They include manuscripts of books, essays, poetry, and speeches.
Mr. Morrow was associated with Capper publications for 35 years and was
assistant publisher and vice-president at the time of his retirement in 1943.

Errett P. Scrivner, Kansas City, U. S. congressman from the second district
from 1943 to 1959, has deposited papers relating to his efforts to prevent the
sale of the Huron Place cemetery in Kansas City, burial ground of the Wyan-
dotte Indians, and photostat copies of lists of Wyandotte families and schedules
of land allotments.

The Wyoming Historical and Geological Society of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., has
given the military papers of Capt. C. S. Bowman, Fourth U. S. cavalry, who
served as disbursing and ordnance officer in Kansas, 1861-1864. The papers
include enlistments retained at Fort Leavenworth, contracts, returns of equip-
ment and ordnance, and a small amount of correspondence of Capt. William
Prince who was recruiting officer for Kansas during the Civil War.

Six guest registers from the Ellsworth hotel were given by George J. Jelinek,
Ellsworth. The hotel was operated under several names: Grand Central,
Putnam, Ballou, Jennings, Larkin, and White House. Most interesting volume
in the series is the register for 1873-1876, the first few pages of which give
information about herds of Texas cattle being held in the vicinity awaiting sale.

Microfilm copies of the following have been acquired:

The diary of Walter Hastings Woods, 1858, 1859. Woods, with associates,
operated during these years a carriage and wagon shop in the now extinct
town of Sumner. Typescript was lent by Wayne Delavan, Arkadelphia, Ark.

Thirteen letters written by Frederick Funston to friends and members of
his family, 1892-1908. The originals were lent by his sister, Mrs. Ella F.
Eckdall, Emporia.



THE ANNUAL MEETING 81

McCoy family papers, 28 items. Originals were lent by W. W. Harris, Santa
Rosa, Calif., whose relationship to John C. and Isaac McCoy has been pre-
viously noted.

Twenty-nine pages from the day book of the Western Bakery, Lawrence,
1861, were lent by the University of Kansas library and were combined for
filming with 34 pages held by the Society. The bakery was burned during
the Quantrill raid and the pages were recovered from the ruins.

The order book of Capt. John B. Vansant, Co. F, 5th cavalry, Missouri
state militia, 1862, 1863. Original was lent for copying by Lester F. Phillis,
McPherson.

Reminiscences of Catharine Wiggins Porter, 1888-1902. These are the
experiences of the author as a pupil in northwest Kansas, a student at Cooper
Memorial (now Sterling) College and a teacher in northwest and central
Kansas. The original was lent by her son, Kenneth W. Porter, University of
Oregon, Eugene, Ore.

Highland University records: proposed charter; minutes of the board of
trustees, December 19, 1859-November 12, 1868; incomplete draft of a report
on the condition of the university, undated. Fenn Ward, Highland, lent the
records for filming as well as an Eclectic Almanac, 1839, used at Highland
Mission, and two letters by Christian H. Isely, written at Fort Lincoln, May,
1863.

Peery family letters, 1846-1921. Included in the 36 items are several letters
written at Shawnee Methodist Mission in Johnson county where John Thompson
Peery served as a teacher, 1849-1852. Originals were lent by Mrs. Wilma
Peery Garvin, Kansas City, Mo.

Reminiscences of Fred S. Curry. Mr. Curry, who lives in Rose Hill, reviews
his life as a cowboy in the Ellsworth area and his experiences in the Northwest,
Canada, and New Mexico. The original was obtained for copying through the
kindness of J. Frank Dobie, Austin, Tex.

Fifty-seven letters from William Allen White to Dan Casement, Manhattan,
1927-1943. The originals were lent through the courtesy of James S. Carey
and the department of history and government, Kansas State University, Man-
hattan.

Guest registers of the Ellsworth hotel. George J. Jelinek, Ellsworth, lent
several registers which were combined for filming with registers given by him
to the Society. The film includes 12 registers, 1873-1904.

The generous gift of Mrs. Raymond H. Millbrook of Detroit for the purchase
of microfilm copies of records of early military installations in Kansas has been
used to obtain records of Fort Wallace, 1866-1882, from the National Archives.
Included are copies of letters sent and orders.

Other donors were: John F. Amos, Oswego; Laird Archer, Fayetteville,
Ark.; C. L. Barnes, Oswego; Mrs. J. William Benton, Kansas City, Mo.; Mrs.
Ross Blake, Oakhill; George H. Browne, St. Petersburg, Fla.; Mrs. Grace
Parker Bruce, Topeka; Cecile Jacoby Strohm Brunt, Topeka; Buffalo (N. Y.)
Historical Society; Mrs. Lola R. Carr, Topeka; W. G. Clugston, Topeka; Archie
W. Coffman, Topeka; Mrs. L. L. Cullen, Belleville, Wis.; Charles Darnell,
Wamego; David Downs, Winston Salem, N. C.; Mrs. Martha Engert, Man-
hattan; Mrs. Wm. H. Ennis, Pottsville, Pa.; Alan Farley, Kansas City; Josephine
A. Few, Nevada, Mo.; Fort Leavenworth Museum; Wesley Harder, Silver Lake;

62200



82 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY

Mr. and Mrs. Paul Harrison, Hollywood, Calif., through Marion A. Barlow,
Lawrence; Ben Hershfield, Tyjunga, Calif.; Alva Earl Home, Topeka; Mrs.
G. W. McClung, Westminster, Md.; Mrs. H. W. Harbaugh, Phillipsburg; Mrs.
Elmer D. Jewett, Olathe; C. Vincent Jones, Clay Center; Adjutant General of
Kansas; Mrs. Warren C. Lichty, Kansas City, Mo.; Mrs. F. M. Manshardt,
Topeka; Donald Ferguson Martin, Los Angeles, Calif.; Marie Munsell, Council
Grove; Native Sons and Daughters of Kansas; Norman H. Niccum, Tecumseh;
Jennie Small Owen, Topeka; Mrs. J. A. Piatt, Hamilton; Mrs. Bertha Piedalue,
Danbury, Neb.; S. F. Roberts, Tecumseh; Joseph G. Rosa, Ruislip, England;
F. M. Redpath, Olathe; Frank L. Reid, Howard; Richard W. Robbins, Pratt;
J. C. Ruppenthal, Russell; N. E. Saxe, Topeka; Shawnee Mission Indian His-
torical Society, Kansas City; Norbert Skelley, Salina; Wint Smith, Washington,
D. C.; A. L. Soule, Topeka; Mrs. Raymond J. Tillotson, Shields; Topeka Stamp
Club; Mrs. Carl F. Trace, Topeka; Ed. M. Tucker, Temple City, Calif.; Irwin
S. Vincent, Topeka; Daisy Job Wood, Garnett.

MICROFILM DIVISION

Since it began operation in 1946 the microfilm division has made 5,196,000
photographs as of September 30, 1959. More than 305,000 have been pro-
duced in the past 12 months: 168,000 of newspapers, 126,000 of archival ma-
terials, 5,500 for the library, and 2,800 for the manuscript division. The
balance were negatives made on special order for private purchasers. In addi-
tion more than 617,000 pages of Statistical Rolls of counties, 1919, 1937-1944,
and 1946, have been filmed on another camera which was rented last May.
This work is not yet finished.

Among the larger newspaper projects of the year were the microfilming of
the Wellington Daily News, September 2, 1901-December 31, 1919; the Wichita
Eagle, both morning and evening editions, March 1, 1957-December 31, 1958;
and the New Era, published variously at Lecompton, Medina, and Valley Falls,
August 28, 1866-September 28, 1916. Other newspapers microfilmed included
the Atchison Weekly Champion, June 26, 1869- June 25, 1909; Atchison Daily
Patriot, May 6, 1869-May 31, 1880 (incomplete); Atchison Weekly Patriot,
September 24, 1870-September 19, 1896; Cheney Sentinel, January 2, 1941-
December 25, 1958; Garden City Herald, March 17, 1883-December 30, 1920;
Junction City Union, September 12, 1861-November 19, 1864, April 15, 1865-
December 27, 1901; Olathe Mirror, January 13, 1876-September 28, 1905; and
11 other newspapers and periodicals each requiring four rolls of film or less.
Work on the Olathe paper is continuing.

Filming of the state census of 1895, begun last year, was completed, and
certain records of the Insurance Commissioner for 1949-1951 were microfilmed,
in addition to smaller quantities of other archival records.

MUSEUM

For the third straight year the number of visitors to the museum has
reached an all-time high. The new record for the year ending September
30 is 65,144, an increase of 6,650 over last year's record. The total was
swelled by 508 groups which took advantage of the guided tours conducted
by the museum.

A print shop, eighth in the series of period rooms, is now open in the east
gallery of the museum. Among the objects on display are a Washington hand



THE ANNUAL MEETING 83

press used in the 1870's, a Columbia job press, a proof press, an early Lino-
type, a small paper cutter, a battered roll-top desk, an old wall telephone,
type cases, and several samples of handbills and advertisements dating from
the turn of the century. The ninth period room, a blacksmith shop, should
be completed late this month. This display is located across from the dentist's
office in the east gallery.

The museum has had three loan exhibits in the "Collector's Corner" this
year. Stan Kaufman, Topeka, lent a collection of mechanical banks, Mr. and
Mrs. Robert H. Kingman, Topeka, lent material for inclusion in a postal dis-
play, and Harvey E. Crawford, Dr. Cotter Hirschberg, and Dr. Robert E.
Switzer, all of Topeka, lent collections of paperweights, which are currently
on display.

In the third floor lobby eight displays were prepared by the museum staff.
One is devoted to old-time photographic equipment while others contain
examples of chinaware, kitchen gadgets of the last century, railroad equipment,
musical instruments of the Kansas pioneers, lighting equipment, and greeting
cards.

For the second year the Historical Society had a display at the Mid-America
Fair. Total attendance for the six-day period was 8,944. The exhibit in-
cluded displays of pioneer life, musical instruments of the early 1900's, and a
general store complete with clerk in celluloid collar and sleeve holders.

A total of 179 accessions was received during the year. The John Turnbull
estate of Maple Hill donated a fine collection of blacksmith equipment and
tools which are on display in the blacksmith and harness shop. A melodeon
which was once used in the Lawrence home of Charles Robinson, first governor
of Kansas, has been placed in the museum on indefinite loan by Charles Reser
of Hamilton. Mrs. Edgar York of Dunlap donated an 1897 hand-operated
Boss washing machine which is in perfect condition. Marie Munsell of Council
Grove gave a teacher's desk which has been in use since the 1870's. A com-
plete set of dolls dressed to represent all the governors' wives of Kansas was
donated by the Woman's Kansas Day Club.

The museum's growing costume collection was expanded by a donation
from Emily V. Wood of Manson, Mass. This contribution, totaling 37 ob-
jects, includes women's clothes dating from the 1880's.

Other donors included: Myra Adler, Ottawa; Mr. and Mrs. John F. Amos,
Oswego; Mrs. Mary Arnold, Lawrence; George W. Axtell, Topeka; Mrs. Cecil
Baker, Topeka; Florence and Guy Baker, Ozawkie; Don Melvin Baker, and
Mrs. Louise L. Baker, Lawrence; William A. Baker, Kansas City; the Bennett
C. Beach family, Topeka; Vivian Bernard; Henry Beurman, Lawrence; Mrs.
Carl D. Biegert, Junction City; George Bistline, Topeka; Mrs. Henry Blake,
Topeka; L. E. Boles, Randolph; Mrs. Lucille Bowen, Junction City; Mrs.
R. F. Brock, Goodland; Mrs. Lynn Brodrick, Marysville; Mrs. Thomas Bruner,
Topeka; Buffalo Historical Society, Buffalo, N. Y.; E. L. Cannon, Phillips-
burg; Mrs. Paul A. Carnahan, Leavenworth; Mrs. Charles Catron, Topeka;
Mr. and Mrs. M. S. Chapman, Houston, Tex.; Dr. Louis Cohen, Topeka;
Mr. A. S. Coil, Kansas City, Mo.; Mrs. Homer W. Cole, Topeka; Stanley
Cordy, Calistoga, Calif; Mildred Cox, Leavenworth; Mrs. O. J. Crandall, Butler,
Mo.; Mrs. Warren M. Crosby, Jr., Topeka; Charles Darnell, Wamego; Daugh-
ters of Union Veterans, Topeka; Charles Davis, Topeka; Mrs. William G.
Davis, Topeka; Esther Delker, Chapman; Mrs. Dean Depler, Louistown, 111.;



84 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY

Benjamin Dolen, George Dolen, and Nell Dolen, Oketo; K. K. Doyle, Topeka;
Mrs. Martha Engert, Manhattan; Charles Euwer, Topeka; Mrs. Lloyd E.
Fauss, Lincoln, Neb.; Lucia and Mildred Floersch, Topeka; Ethelynn Fortescue,
Topeka; Mrs. Spencer Card, lola; Mrs. Fred Garwood, Olathe; Mrs. Richard
P. Gaulke, Kansas City; William R. Geren, Topeka; Jessie May Gibson, To-
peka; Mrs. Edna Piazzek Gilpin, Phoenix, Ariz.; Paul R. Givens, Topeka;
Mrs. Anna Harbour Goodger, Lafayette, Calif.; C. A. Grinnell, Americus;
Mrs. H. P. Haskell, Topeka; Mrs. Frank Haucke, Council Grove; Ben Hersh-
field; Otis Hollenbeck, Topeka; Mrs. Charles E. Holman, Topeka; John
Hoskinson, Oskaloosa; Mr. and Mrs. George P. Hug, Sr., Topeka; Janis Hyde,
Reading; Elizabeth Jennings, Topeka; Mrs. Elmer D. Jewett, Olathe; Fred
Johnson, Topeka; Iowa Jones, Marysville; Kansas Cosmetologists Association,
Inc., by Mrs. Pearl Baker, Pittsburg, and Mrs. Freda G. Hervey, Manhattan;
Kansas State Office Building Commission, by Paul Clark; Kansas State Print-
ing Plant by Lillie Washabaugh; Stan Kaufman, Topeka; Mrs. Charles A.
Kelley, Ottawa; Francis W. Kelley, Topeka; Mrs. Kenneth Kennedy, Berryton;
Mrs. B. Gage Kenny, Lincoln, Neb.; Myrna Kerns, Bonner Springs; Mrs.
Robert H. Kingman, Topeka; W. A. Kingman, Topeka; Winslow O. King-
man, Topeka; Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Kirkbride, Chapman; Mrs. William D.
Kretsinger, Emporia; Alfred M. Landon, Topeka; Charles A. Lassiter, Topeka;
Virgil J. Lawrence, Topeka; Mrs. Richard W. Leach, Evanston, 111.; Mr. and
Mrs. Harry Lee, Topeka; Ralph Leep, Topeka; Frank Lill, Emporia; Helen
D. Little, LaCrosse; Howard Lyman, Frankfort; Helen McFarland, Topeka;
George Mack, Topeka; Wayland W. Magee, Bennington, Neb.; Mrs. F. M.
Manshardt, Topeka; Mrs. Edna Manspeaker, Topeka; Masonic Lodge No. 14,
Oskaloosa; Mrs. Henry B. Miller, Topeka; Mrs. Henry W. Miller, Delavan;
Mr. and Mrs. Nyle Miller, Topeka; Floyd Monroe, Topeka; Mr. and Mrs. R. F.
Morris, Topeka; C. L. Morse, Topeka; Marie Munsell, Morris county; Elinor
Neal, Topeka; Robert Neiswender, Topeka; Elsie Neuenschwander, Lawrence;
Lewis M. Norris, Leneville, Ala.; Mrs. Alvin Owen, Louisville; Ronald L.
Peters, Topeka; Mrs. Marie Phillips, Parsons; Mrs. E. S. Ping, Topeka; Mrs.
Robert Price, Topeka; Lane Ramsey, Topeka; Mrs. W. W. Reed, Topeka;
Mrs. Fred A. Rehkopf, Topeka; Mrs. E. K. Richmond, Wellington; Mr. and
Mrs. Robert Richmond, Topeka; John Ripley, Topeka; Mrs. George Root, To-
peka; Albertina Rosencraus, Manhattan; Leslie W. Rowles, Topeka; Frank
Rude, Topeka; Lorene Russell, Manhattan; Pete Rust, Smith Center; Santa Fe
railroad, Topeka; Mrs. J. H. Schimmell, Topeka; Walter H. Schoewe, Lawrence;
Angelo Scott, lola; Errett P. Scrivner, Kansas City; Mrs. L. E. Shaw, Topeka;
Frank M. Shelton, Topeka; Mrs. Mazie Morrison Simpson, Topeka; William
Sneed, Topeka; Jeanine Sohl, Topeka; Stanley Sohl, Topeka; George Sternberg,
Hays; R. N. Stevenson, Topeka; F. M. Steves & Sons, Printers, Topeka; K. B.
Strafuss, Manhattan; Joseph Strathman, Seneca; Ruth Sumey, Topeka; Annie
B. Sweet, Topeka; E. M. Tucker, Temple City, Calif.; Robert L. Thompson,
Jr., Moran; Mrs. L. R. Tillotson, Topeka; Mrs. Carl F. Trace, Topeka; Mr.
and Mrs. Maurice Valentine; H. Van Brunt; C. R. Van Dniff, McLouth; Mr.
and Mrs. J. R. Waddell, Topeka; Bessie and Gustie Waite, Topeka; Mrs.
Malcolm Whyte, Milwaukee, Wis.; Roscoe Wilmeth, Topeka; H. D. Wilson,
Topeka; C. C. Witmer, Topeka; Mrs. L. E. Womer, Agra; Woman's Kansas
Day Club; Emily V. Wood, Manson, Mass.; Otto Wullschleger, Frankfort;
Keith Wingerd, Navarre; Mrs. Edgar York, Dunlap; Mrs. T. F. Yost, Topeka;
J. W. Zavodnik, Wilson; and Mary A. Zimmerman, Valley Falls.



THE ANNUAL MEETING 85

NEWSPAPER AND CENSUS DIVISION

More than 4,500 patrons were served in person by the newspaper and
census division during the past year. In addition over 5,500 requests were
answered by mail.

Almost 10,000 searches were made by members of the staff in news-
papers and census volumes. Certified copies of records furnished totaled
4,173. Among the uses made of these certificates are proof of age and place
of birth, proof of publication for legal purposes, and family history.

Patrons and staff members used, during the year, 15,633 census volumes,
6,591 bound newspaper volumes., 4,930 single issues of newspapers, and 2,343
microfilm reels of newspapers.

Nearly all Kansas publishers continue to contribute their newspapers to the
Society for filing. Now being received are 54 dailies, 12 semiweeldies, and
291 regular weeklies. Also, 143 newspapers published by Kansas schools,
churches, labor unions, and other institutions are donated by their publishers.
Nine out-of -state newspapers are received.

Bound volumes of Kansas newspapers now total 58,087, and bound volumes
of out-of-state newspapers number 12,010. Three hundred and fifty-three
reels of newspapers on microfilm were added to the collection, which now totals
7,442. Thirteen Kansas publishers donate microfilm copies of their current
issues to the Society.

Older Kansas newspapers received during the year included: Junction City
Daily Union, December 26, 1866, donated by Don Martin, Los Angeles, Calif.;
Cora Union, February 25, 1886, donated by Charles Darnell, Wamego; Terri-
torial Enterprise, Virginia City, Nev., May 2, 1952, May 8, 1953-December 27,
1957, given by the University of Kansas library, Lawrence; Salina Herald, June
6, 1874, donated by Norbert Skelley, Salina; Kansas Farmer, Leavenworth,
May 15, 1869, donated by Fenn Ward, Highland; and Kansas Farmer, Topeka,
January 2, 1872-December 25, 1878, donated by Gordon West, Topeka, and
the publisher.

Other donors of newspapers were: Mrs. Carl F. Trace, Topeka; Maurice
Valentine, Council Grove; Errett Scrivner, Kansas City; Mrs. Mary Arnold,
Lawrence; Mrs. Bruce Warner, Topeka; B. B. Chapman, Stillwater, Okla.; Mrs.
Ben Franklin, Topeka; Evelyn Warren, Honolulu; Mrs. Henry Blake, Topeka;
Topeka Rotary Club through Charles Howes; and Russell W. Walker, St. John.

PHOTOGRAPHS AND MAPS

During the year 1,891 photographs were added to the Society's collection
while 32 duplicate prints were removed, making a net increase of 1,859. Of
these, 916 were gifts, 427 were lent to the Society for copying and 548 were
taken by the Society staff. Fifty-six color slides have been accessioned.

Several large groups of photographs were given to the Society this year.
Among the more important were 39 views of early Spearville, Ingalls, and
construction work on the Eureka Irrigating Canal in western Kansas from A. L.
Soule, Topeka; 84 views of Salina streets, businesses, and citizens from Norbert
Skelley, Salina; 110 pictures of the Wichita aircraft industry from the Kansas
Industrial Development Commission; 99 postal card pictures of early Kansas
courthouses from Mrs. Maude Funston, Parsons; 15 Indian portraits from
George H. Browne, St. Petersburg, Fla.; and 26 early street scenes of Kansas
cowtowns from the Denver Public Library.



86 KANSAS HISTORICAL QUARTERLY

Excellent collections of Kansas pictures were lent for copying by Paul Gibler,
Claflin; Wilbur Hess, Salina; W. F. Holmes, Oswego; Kansas University, Law-
rence; Mrs. Amy Lathrop, Norton; the Ottawa County Historical Society,



Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) → online text (page 10 of 59)