Kansas State Historical Society.

The Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) online

. (page 13 of 59)
Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) → online text (page 13 of 59)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

places until completion of the first church building in 1881. A
history of the church was published in the Frankfort Index, Oc-
tober 29, 1959.

Histories of the Haven Methodist church appeared in the Haven
Journal, October 29, and the Hutchinson News, October 31, 1959.
The church received its charter and completed a building in 1889.

A biographical sketch of 102-year-old Mrs. Isabelle Jackson Lee,
Fredonia, by Mrs. Charles Shue, was printed in the Longton News,
November 5, 1959.

"Dodge City's Magic Circle/' a tour of southwest Kansas his-
torical points, is the subject of an article by Edward Collier, in the
Wichita Beacon, November 3, and the Manhattan Mercury, No-
vember 29, 1959. Besides Dodge City, towns on the tour include:
Kinsley, Lamed, St. John, Pratt, Medicine Lodge, Coldwater, and

Ninety-year-old Al Hecox pictured lola 80 years ago in an article
in the lola Register, November 3, 1959. On November 20 the
Register printed a letter from E. C. Walker describing lola in 1893
and 1903.

On November 5, 1959, the Argonia Argosy began printing a
series of articles on the early history of Harper county, written by
the late Odell Cleous in 1947. Another series of historical articles,
by Sarah Hutchinson, was started in the Argosy, January 21, 1960.


"Ulysses 'City of the Plains/" by Kenneth Gray, the winning
essay in the contest held during Ulysses* golden anniversary cele-
bration, was published in the Ulysses News, November 26, 1959.
The town was originally founded in 1885 and moved to its present
location in 1909.

Abraham Lincoln's visit to Kansas in 1859 was featured with
special stories in The Kansas Chief, Troy, December 3, 1959.

Twin pioneers of Russell county, Charles W. and Joseph E. Bear,
were sketched in the Russell Record, December 14, 1959. The
brothers came to Russell county in 1879.

On December 19, 1959, the El Dorado Times published a 50-page
40th anniversary edition. The Times grew out of the old Walnut
Valley Times and the El Dorado Republican.

Wichita's Christmas of 1870, was the subject of an article by
Ralph Hinman, Jr., in the Wichita Beacon, December 20, 1959.

The Baldwin Ledger, December 24, 1959, printed a history of
the Coal Creek Library, Vinland, Douglas county. The library,
said to be the oldest in Kansas, recently observed its 100th anni-

A study of the conflict during the 1870's between the Denver
and Rio Grande railroad and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe
as the latter "sought to crush and absorb the little mountain narrow
gauge company," by Robert G. Athearn, was published in The
Colorado Magazine, Denver, January, 1960.

O. W. Mosher's column, "Museum Notes," which appears regu-
larly in the Emporia Gazette, giving bits of information about the
Lyon County Museum and notes on the history of Lyon county
and Emporia, included a biographical sketch of Capt. Lemuel T.
Heritage, January 4, 1960. Heritage came to Emporia in 1857,
served as a Union officer in the Civil War, and was one of the
organizers of the Emporia National Bank. At his death he left a
fund of over $30,000 for the benefit of the children of Emporia.

On January 7, 1960, The Western Times, Sharon Springs, began
printing a series of articles, by Ruth Jackson, on the George R.
Allaman family, Wallace county pioneers, and Wallace county his-

O. W. and Harriet Highley homesteaded near present Neodesha
in 1866. A sketch, relating some of their early experiences, by Joe
W. Allen, appeared in the Neodesha Daily Sun, January 15, 1960.

Kansas Historical Notes

A county-wide celebration was held July 29 to August 8, 1959,
in observance of the Kansas City and Wyandotte county centen-
nial. Among the events were: re-enactment of the signing of the
Wyandotte constitution, centennial parade, presentation of the
historical pageant "Rivers to Rockets," combined church service
with Sen. Frank Carlson as speaker, the display of the original
Wyandotte constitution, and publication of an 80-page souvenir

Robinson, Brown county, held its centennial celebration August
14-16, 1959. Reunions of classes, square dances, an old settlers'
picnic, dedication of the new grade school building, and com-
munity church services were events of the program. A short his-
tory of Robinson appeared in the Atchison Daily Globe, August 9.

Ulysses observed its golden anniversary with a three-day cele-
bration November 9-11, 1959. Events included: an essay contest,
a re-enactment of the moving of the town to its present site, a
parade, a free barbecue, and an address by Nyle H. Miller, secre-
tary of the Kansas State Historical Society, entitled "On the
Midway, U. S. A."

George and Frank Roniger, Bazaar, have presented a museum
building to Chase county. It was formally accepted by the county
commissioners December 8, 1959. Located on the courthouse
grounds in Cottonwood Falls, the museum is for the purpose of
preserving items of Indian origin and other articles of historical
interest to residents of the county. It will be called the Roniger
Memorial Museum.

The Hamilton County Historical Society was formed at a meet-
ing in Syracuse, January 5, 1960. E. W. McNeill was chosen chair-
man of the new organization; Mrs. Jessie Conard and Carroll
Wainwright, vice-chairmen; and Amelia Minor, secretary. I. N.
"Jibo" Hewitt, special representative of the Kansas Centennial
Commission, addressed the meeting and assisted in the organization.

Ralph V. Clark was elected president of the Wyandotte County
Historical Society at a meeting at the Grinter House, January 14,
1960. Other officers chosen were: Joe Lastelic, vice-president;
Mrs. Raymond Lees, secretary; Mrs. Harry M. Trowbridge, treas-
urer; Mrs. Samuel Bell, historian; and Mrs. George B. Smith, Jr.,
and Harry Hanson, trustees. Hanson was the retiring president.



Dr. O. W. Mosher was re-elected president of the Lyon County
Historical Society at a meeting in Emporia, January 22, 1960. Wil-
ford Riegle was elected first vice-president; John G. Atherton,
second vice-president; Myrtle Buck, secretary; Warren Morris,
treasurer; and Mrs. F. L. Gilson, historian.

The Pratt County Historical Society was organized at a meeting
in Coats, January 22, 1960. J. K. Shriver, Coats, was elected presi-
dent; Mrs. Carl Terry, Sawyer, Bob Frazier, Cullison, and Roger
Miller, Pratt, vice-presidents; Dr. J. W. Jacks, Pratt, co-ordinator;
Mrs. Ruby Bayse, Coats, secretary; E. L. Trock, Coats, treasurer;
Dick Holdren, Pratt, publicity director; and J. Rufus Gray, Pratt,
and George Miller, Sawyer, historians.

Officers of the Smith County Historical Society were all re-elected
at the annual meeting, January 23, 1960, in Smith Center. They
are: Emmet Womer, president; W. E. Lee, vice-president; Mrs.
Margaret Nelson, secretary; Mrs. Claude Diehl, treasurer; and Ray
Myers, Lou Felton, I. A. Nichols, Walter Hofer, and Oscar Rice,

Guy H. Dyer, retired McCune publisher, spoke to a meeting of
the Crawford County Historical Society in Pittsburg, January 25,
1960, on his work in writing a history of Crawford county. Fred
Brinkerhoff, Pittsburg, and Rolla Clymer, El Dorado, were also on
the program via films of the re-enactment of Abraham Lincoln's
visit to Kansas.

Dean E. Yingling, Topeka, was elected president of the Native
Sons, and Mrs. J. C. Tillotson, Norton, of the Native Daughters,
at the annual meeting of the Native Sons and Daughters of Kansas
in Topeka, January 28, 1960. Other officers of the Native Sons are:
Floyd R. Souders, Cheney, vice-president; Emery F. Fager, Over-
brook, secretary; and Marshall Gardiner, Leavenworth, treasurer.
Officers of the Native Daughters include: Mrs. Chester Dunn,
Oxford, vice-president; Lela Hough, Topeka, secretary; and Mae
Oliver, Topeka, treasurer. The retiring presidents were: Wayne
Randall, Osage City, and Evelyn Ford, Topeka. The "Kansan of
the Year" award went to Rolla Clymer, El Dorado. Plans of the
organization for 1961, Kansas' centennial year, were announced.

The history of banking in Kansas was the theme of the Woman's
Kansas Day Club annual meeting in Topeka, January 29, 1960.
Mrs. McDill Boyd, Phillipsburg, was elected president for the
coming year. Other officers are: Mrs. Marion Beatty, Topeka,


first vice-president; Mrs. Claude R. Stutzman, Kansas City, second
vice-president; Mrs. Roy S. Gibson, Chanute, recording secretary;
Mrs. Frank Huffman, Topeka, treasurer; Mrs. Paul Wedin, Wichita,
historian; Mrs. R. T. Unruh, Topeka, auditor; and Mrs. Sharon
Foster, Ellsworth, registrar. The district directors are: Mrs. M. A.
Brawley, Frankfort, first district; Mrs. Paul Mitchum, Kansas City,
second district; Mrs. Tillie Karns Newman, Coffeyville, third dis-
trict, Mrs. Roscoe Mendenhall, Emporia, fourth district; Mrs.
Floyd Breeding, Rolla, fifth district; and Mrs. Herbert Rogg, Rus-
sell, sixth district. Mrs. Harry A. Chaffee, Topeka, was the retiring

Members elected to the board of directors of the Finney County
Historical Society at the society's annual meeting, February 9,
1960, in Garden City, were: E. E. Bill, Abe Hubert, Mrs. Delia
Gobleman, D. D. Richardson, Warren Maltbie, Clifford Hope, Jr.,
Mrs. Cecil Wristen, C. H. Cleaver, A. M. Fleming, Mrs. J. O.
Carter, and Lester McCoy.

Larry Yost, president, and R. Roy Taylor, vice-president, were
re-elected at the annual meeting of the Southwest Kansas Historical
Society in Dodge City, February 15, 1960. The following were
elected to the board of directors: James A. Williams, J. P. Mc-
Collom, Joe Hulpieu, Mrs. Robert Rath, and George Henrichs.
Other officers and members of the board are: Mrs. C. R. Harner,
secretary, and Fred Swart, treasurer.

Organization of the Harper County Historical Society was com-
pleted at a meeting in Harper, February 20, 1960. Included among
the officers are: Mrs. Phil Antrim, president, Mrs. Bill Nye, secre-
tary, and Homer Thompson, co-ordinator. The county's three edi-
tors, J. E. Jacobsen, Anthony; Don C. Parr, Attica; and Robert N.
Bolitho, Harper, are publicity directors.

In observance of its 25th anniversary, the Trinity Lutheran
church of Salina issued a 32-page historical pamphlet, June 14,
1959. The occasion also marked the tenth anniversary of the dedi-
cation of the church building.

100 Years of Methodism in Holton is the title of a 32-page pam-
phlet issued by the Holton Methodist church in observance of
its centennial in 1959.

Faith of Our Fathers., a 32-page historical pamphlet by Carldon
H. Broadbent, was recently published in observance of the 75th
anniversary of the Pleasant View Methodist church of Beloit.


Kansas History in Graduate Study, a 64-page bibliography of
theses and dissertations, edited by Homer E. Socolofsky, was pub-
lished by Kansas State University in 1959 as a contribution to the
Kansas centennial.

Coldwater and Comanche county history was featured in a 64-
page diamond jubilee souvenir booklet published in connection with
Coldwater's celebration August 30-September 2, 1959.

Log Cabin Days Along, Salt Creek, a 60-page pamphlet by Agnes
Tolbert on the early history of Republic county, was published in
1959 by Adams Press, Chicago.

In observance of its centennial anniversary, the First Presbyterian
church, Topeka, published a 27-page historical booklet early in

In co-operation with the Kansas Wheat Commission and the
Agricultural Marketing Service of the U. S. Department of Agricul-
ture, the Kansas State Board of Agriculture recently issued a 134-
page booklet entitled Marketing Kansas Wheat. The publication
includes a history of wheat growing in Kansas and discusses the
stages wheat goes through, seeding, growing, harvesting, market-
ing, milling, and making the bread and cereals for world-wide con-

James Iverne Dowie is the author of a 262-page, paper-bound
volume entitled Prairie Grass Dividing, published in 1959 by the
Augustana Historical Society, Rock Island, 111. It is largely the
story of the Swedish settlements in Nebraska and Kansas, their
churches and their schools.

Horace Jones' The Story of Early Rice County, originally pub-
lished in 1928, has been republished in 1959 in a 141-page, paper-
bound volume, by Paul E. Jones.

Pioneer Days in Lane County, a 154-page, paper-bound booklet,
comprised largely of reminiscences by early settlers of Lane county,
was published by the Lane County Historical Society in 1959.

A 124-page historical review of the Diocese of Kansas of the
Protestant Episcopal Church, from its formation in 1859 to its
centennial in 1959, entitled The First 100 Years, was recently pub-
lished by the Allen Press, Lawrence.




Summer 1960

Published by

Kansas State Historical Society



Managing Editor Editor Associate Editor




Charles Monroe Chase Edited by Lela Barnes, 11-3


MCCOY'S 1828 JOURNAL Roscoe Wilmeth, 152

With map of McCoy's probable route, p. 154.

Continued Nyle H. Miller and Joseph W. Snell, 158

RECENT ADDITIONS TO THE LIBRARY, Compiled by Alberta Pantle, Librarian, 206




The Kansas Historical Quarterly is published four times a year by the Kansas
State Historical Society, 120 W. Tenth St., Topeka, Kan. It is distributed
without charge to members of the Society; nonmembers may purchase single
issues, when available, for 75 cents each. Membership dues are: annual, $3;
annual sustaining, $10; life, $20. Membership applications and dues should be
sent to Mrs. Lela Barnes, treasurer.

Correspondence concerning articles for the Quarterly should be addressed to
the managing editor. The Society assumes no responsibility for statements made
by contributors.

Second-class postage has been paid at Topeka, Kan.


William C. Quantrill's raid on Lawrence the morning
of August 21, 1863, as sketched in pencil by Sherman
Enderton, Co. E, llth Kansas volunteers, who reached
the ruined city several hours later. For a written de-
scription of the massacre by a traveler who arrived
next day, see pp. 143-148.


Volume XXVI Summer, 1960 Number 2

An Editor Looks at Early-Day Kansas




KANSAS had enjoyed more than two years of statehood by the
time the first of these letters were written. The turbulence of
the territorial days had passed into history, but newspaper men
were still attracted to the scene, as they had been from the be-
ginning. Thus it was that Charles Monroe Chase came to eastern
Kansas in 1863 and, during his year's stay, served for a time as
local editor of the Leavenworth Times.

C. M. Chase (1829-1902) was a native of Lyndon, Vt, and spent
the greater part of his life in that community. After his gradua-
tion from Dartmouth, he located in Cincinnati where from 1854
to 1856 he taught music at Cincinnati College and studied law. He
then went to Sycamore, 111., where he was admitted to the bar and
formed a law partnership with Jacob A. Simons. Here, also, he
entered the newspaper business which subsequently became his
major interest.

Chase went into the Union army in 1861 with a brass band.
His intention, he said, was "to kill the cussed rebels, of course,
but none of them heard the music, and so not many died on my

In August, 1863, he recorded his impressions of the Kansas area
for readers of the True Republican and Sentinel of Sycamore, 111.
These letters comprise the first installment.

Chase returned to Lyndon in 1865 and established the Vermont
Union which he edited until his death in 1902. He made other
trips to the West, sending back his observations in letters to the
Union. In 1873 he was again in the Kansas region and letters
written on this visit will be published in the Autumn issue of the

MRS. LELA BARNES is treasurer and head of the manuscript division of the Kansas
State Historical Society.



Quarterly. Letters written while traveling in New Mexico and
Colorado in 1881 were issued in book form under the title, The
Editors Run. They offer a lively account of that journey.

Publication of the Kansas letters of 1863 and 1873 was made
possible through the co-operation of N. Louise Chase, New Lon-
don, Conn., daughter of C. M. Chase. Miss Chase kindly lent a
scrapbook containing clippings from the Sycamore and Lyndon
papers. Only minor changes have been made, mostly to correct
typographical errors.


ST. JOSEPH, Mo., August 7th, 1863.

ED. REPUBLICAN. Twenty-six hours' travel via Burlington &
Quincy R. R. will take you to St. Joseph, Mo. Friday evening at
8 o'clock I left Chicago arriving at St. Joseph the next evening at 10.

Missouri is said to be a God-forsaken country; and one who
draws conclusions from the general appearance of the genuine
"Butternuts," l is apt to believe that Providence has not been over
lavish in favors towards the "Pukes." 2

The northwestern portion of Missouri is unsurpassed in beauty
or productiveness. After crossing the river at Quincy you enter
upon a wild country, uneven in surface and covered with timber,
with here and there, on the line of the railroad, a dilapidated village.
But from Livingston county to the Mississippi 3 you pass through
a beautiful undulating country, more uneven than the rolling prairie
in Illinois, but all tillable and rich. This portion of the state is
destined, at no distant day, to be one of the finest farming sections
in the Union.

Slavery in Missouri has run its race nothing but shadows of the
institution are observable. People who have designed to settle in
Missouri, as soon as slavery should be done away with, will now
flock in there and commence the development of the rich resources
of the state. Farming land is exceedingly low. As good a farm as
can be found in DeKalb county [Illinois] can be bought in north-
western Missouri for $5 per acre. There are many cases of Secesh
vacancies, where property can be purchased for a song. People

1. George Earlie Shankle, State Names, Flags, Seals, Songs, Birds, Flowers and Other
Symbols (New York, H. W. Wilson Co., 1934), pp. 147, 148: "The name Butter-nuts
was first given to the soldiers of Tennessee during the Civil War from the tan color of
their uniforms, and later it came to be applied to the people of the entire State."

2. Ibid., p. 129: "Leopold Wagner [in his More About Names] says that 'the natives
of Missouri are universally styled Pukes, a corruption of the older name Pikes, which
still obtains in California as the description of the migratory whites from the South owing
to the idea that these originally came from Pike County, Missouri.' "

3. Chase undoubtedly meant the Missouri river and wrote Mississippi in error.


with their eyes open will take advantage of the present disturbance
in Missouri society and property. Present opportunities will not al-
ways exist. "The early bird catches the worm."

Saint Joseph is a point. When the war broke out rebels ruled the
town. More than half of her citizens were genuine Secesh, and it
was only after the severest military discipline that Unionism tri-
umphed. Hundreds of her citizens left for the South in hot
haste and between days. Their property was, of course, left behind,
and in many cases has been sold for one-eighth of its real value.
This state of things has tended to cripple the city temporarily.
Property, in the average, has depreciated two-thirds, rents are down,
everything, for the moment, is deranged; but that business will re-
sume its wonted channel, and that St. Joe will increase seems beyond
question. From here one of the branches of the Pacific Railroad is
surveyed, and the citizens of St. Joe as an extra inducement to the
government have already graded a road for twenty miles west.
Through here passes all the business from the East going into Kan-
sas. Eastern freight for Atchison, Leavenworth, Kansas City, &c.,
&c., all passes through St. Joe. Sometime Leavenworth will doubt-
less have direct communication, by rail, with Chicago, but at present
St. Joe is the only railroad point for Kansas, 4 and before any other
road is built she will have acquired wealth, increase and influence
enough to render her future importance secure.

The population of St. Joe is now about 12,000. It has been more,
but war and skedaddles have diminished her population several
thousand. She is situated on the flat and bluff. The court house
stands conspicuously on the top of a high bluff; and the finest resi-
dences are scattered along on the top and sides, while the main busi-
ness streets are on the flat. The finest hotel in the city, and one of the
finest in the west, is the Patee House, built a few years ago at a cost
of $90,000. It was located in a remote part of the city, and designed
to draw the business streets towards it and enhance the value of lots
in that locality. National calamities have frustrated the owners'
designs, and the property is to be sold for what it will bring prob-
ably $15,000 or $20,000.

The people hereabouts are not famous for their appetite for
Scripture. The "golden rule" is not definitely impressed upon the

4. The first railroad line in Kansas, planned to continue westward from St. Joseph,
was chartered by the territorial legislature of Kansas in 1857 under the name Marysville
or Palmetto and Rosepoi't road. It was soon known as the Elwood and Marysville road.
The Hannibal and St. Joseph reached St. Joseph early in 1859 and in April of the following
year an engine and several cars were ferried across the river. A formal opening of the
line took place in July, with a train running as far as Wathena, a distance of about five


minds of the people. If a man in St. Joe knocks down a neighbor,
that neighbor forgets the other cheek injunction and proceeds to re-
turn the compliment. This custom sometimes makes a little dis-
turbance in society, but it helps the law business, furnishes the local
reporter with an item, and contributes something to the finances of
the city, to say nothing about the pugilistic discipline it affords the
parties. C. M. C.

August 8th, 1863

ED. SENTINEL: Yesterday morning, at 7 o'clock, I left Leavenworth
and arrived in this city, by boat, a little before noon. The scenery
on the Missouri river is but a slight improvement on that of the
Mississippi. Its chief attractions are muddy water and forest trees.
From eastern points you reach Kansas City by boat; from here west
or south the stage is the only public conveyance. The old fashioned
eastern staging commences at this point. Some of the old coaches,
used in Vermont and New Hampshire, are in use here now. The
rattle of the wheels, the crack of the whip, the rush to the stage
hotels on the arrival of the coaches from different points, remind one
of the old New England towns, long ago, where railroads and steam
whistles were subjects for dreams and visionary speculations. Stag-
ing is an important feature in Kansas City business. The Santa Fe
line of stages starts from this point every Friday morning. Horses are
changed every fifteen miles, and the steeds measure off the distance
at the rate of 80 miles per day, making the round trip, a distance
of 1600 miles, in twenty days. 5 The fare to Santa Fe is $125. An-
other line of stages runs from Kansas City to Denver City, a distance
of 700 miles. Fare to Denver is only $75. Why this difference of
$50 in fare, when the difference in the length of the two routes is but
100 miles, I cannot say. Perhaps it is because there is more travel
to Denver than to Santa Fe. Emigrant teams may also operate as
a competition in the business. The Santa Fe trade adds much to
the business-like appearance of Kansas City. Almost daily large
trains of five- and six-yoke ox teams are arriving or leaving.

If the Santa Fe merchants do their trading here, it alone is an
immense business to the city. If they trade chiefly in New York
and simply freight or reship from this point, it fills the city with
life and must necessarily leave a large amount of money in the

Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) → online text (page 13 of 59)