Kansas State Historical Society.

The Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) online

. (page 23 of 59)
Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) → online text (page 23 of 59)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

a city government. Another meeting will be held to-night to nominate can-
didates. The offices to be filled are those of mayor, police judge, marshal and



five councilmen. All persons now living here, who intend to locate or remain
for a reasonable length of time, will be permitted to vote. The election
takes place to-morrow, when, undoubtedly, a heavy vote will be polled. Steps
are also being taken to raise the necessary funds to build a town house, church
and school house. ALLEGRO.

Since writing the above, at an informal meeting of some of the principal
citizens, the following ticket was put in nomination: For mayor, Mr. Spivey;
for councilmen, Messrs. Steele, Cunningham, Gregory, Dow, Hurd; for police
judge, J. J. Baker, the present justice of the peace; for sheriffs, Tom Carson
and C. B. King.

NEWTON, August 25.

Both Carson and King were hired, but in exactly what category
is not certain. The following article in The Kansas Daily Com-
monwealth, September 28, 1871, reported King a "deputy sheriff"
and Carson as "acting constable":





NEWTON, Sept. 27, 1871.

A several day's absence on a buffalo hunt, from which I have but just re-
turned, has prevented me from mailing you the details of the murder of
Deputy Sheriff King on Saturday last. Your readers are already acquainted
with the fact of his death. A few particulars may, perhaps, be found suffi-
ciently interesting to warrant a perusal, and I give them, apologizing in the
outset for the bous trophedon style of description.

The coroner's jury rendered this verdict: That C. B. King came to his
death by a pistol wound inflicted by one Thomas Edwards, and that the shoot-
ing was done feloniously and with intent to kill.

On Saturday evening last, about ten o'clock, Officer King, in accordance
with the requirements of the law, discovered Edwards while the latter was
in one of the dance houses. As he met with some resistance, Tom Carson, an
acting constable, stepped to King's assistance, and leveling his revolver or-
dered him with an oath to "throw up his hands." The pistol was then given
up and Edwards was released. Carson returned to Newton while King re-
mained on the premises. Some two hours later, as King was standing outside
of the door, in the same fated area which drank the blood of Martin and others
of the victims of the Sunday morning horror of a month ago, Edwards ap-
proached him and placing a Derringer close to his breast, fired, the ball lodg-
ing near the heart. King staggered into the house, exclaiming "Who shot me?"
and immediately fell over on his arm. His friends caught him and the blood
gushed from his mouth in a thick, black stream, and a moment later he was
dead. Edwards fled and has not since been seen.

Thus perished Officer King, than whom there was no better gentleman nor
truer friend, and no more respected man in Newton. Thus does the red hand
of the assassin continue to do its bloody work, for the taking of King's life is


known to have been a premeditated act, plotted by others and accomplished
by Edwards.

Newton is tremendous with excitement and indignation over it. The officers
of the law say they are on the lookout for the murderer and his accomplices,
but no one as yet has been arrested, and, if the chances be properly weighed,
no one in all probability will be arrested. Cannot Topeka send us a couple
of detectives who will do their duty fearlessly and vigilantly? Brute force
without sagacity is plenty enough here, but we want men who possess both.

The funeral of King took place on Monday, and was largely attended.
Business houses generally closed during the funeral ceremonies.

The man who was accidentally shot by Edwards during his scuffle with
King, is doing well, the ball having entered the fleshy part of the thigh.


By November, 1871, Carson was back in Abilene and on the
police force again. "On motion Tom Carson and 'Brocky Jack'
[John Norton?] were allowed fifty dollars each for police duty, and
the same ordered paid/* wrote the city clerk in the minute book of
Abilene's city council, November 4, 1871 (p. 99).

The Junction City Union, November 25, 1871, reported that "A
shooting affair occurred at Abilene, during the fore part of the
week, which resulted in the wounding of John Man, a bar tender,
at the hands of Tom. Carson, who was acting as policeman at the
time. It is said the shot was fired without provocation. Man was
struck somewhere about the hip, and is slowly recovering."

On November 27, 1871, the city clerk made this entry in the
minute book (p. 105): "On Motion City Marshall be instructed to
discharge Thomas Carson & Brocky Jack from off Police force from
& after this 27th day of Nov 1871 (Carried)."

1. "City Council Minute Book," Records of the City of Abilene, p. 70, 2. Ibid., p. 69,
3. Ibid., p. 74. 4. Wichita Tribune, August 24, 1871. 5. The identity of the Commonwealth's
"avenging Nemesis" remains unknown to the compilers of this sketch. Though most latter-
day authors call him Jim Riley, a youthful and "consumptive" friend of McCluskie's, no con-
temporary source has been found which identified him further than did the Commonwealth.
Thus one of the West's better marksmen who moved in and mowed 'em down goes un-
sung, and the questions "where did he come from?", "who was he?", and "where did he
go?", apparently went unanswered in the contemporary records.


(1856?- )

On June 10, 1882, the mayor and council of Dodge City ap-
pointed an entirely new police force. Peter W. Beamer was named
marshal, C. E. Chipman, assistant, and Lee Harlan, policeman.
"The appointment of the new police force will give general satis-
faction. They are sober and honest men, and will no doubt dis-
charge their duties faithfully and satisfactorily," wrote the editor
of the Dodge City Times, June 15, 1882. 1


The same day he was appointed assistant marshal, the 26-year-
old Chipman, in his concurrent role as township constable, captured
a wanted man after a grueling chase. The Times, June 15, 1882,

C. E. Chipman, Constable, had quite an adventure after a prisoner on
Saturday last. The man was charged with a State offense, but eluded the
vigilance of the officers. Constable Chipman pursued his man over the prairie,
never relaxing his speed until opposite Ryan's ranch, 18 miles down the river,
having in the meantime changed horses. At this point the Constable "rounded
up" the man in short order. The prisoner was brought to this city, and after
paying a fine was released. On the route Constable Chipman lost some money
and valuables from his pockets, together with the "using up," of the horses,
did not compensate him; but he has the proud satisfaction of having done his
duty, well and faithfully, but at the sacrifice of some loss and a few injured
limbs of his own body, caused by the excessive ride. The distance traveled
was about 55 miles. This should be a warning to evil doers in Dodge town-
ship. Constable Chipman is an officer who will follow his man until the last
horse is run down.

In July, 1882, Jack Bridges replaced Beamer as city marshal but
Chipman remained in the number two position. Harlan was re-
lieved in September, leaving only the marshal and assistant on the

The Dodge City police did not make the local press again until
the outbreak of the "Dodge City War ' in the spring of 1883. Chip-
man was involved since he was on the police force, but the Luke
Short faction considered him one of the chief instigators of the plot
to oust the little gambler. At least one source believed the refusal of
Mayor L. E. Deger to dismiss him, as W. H. Harris (Luke Short's
partner in the Long Branch saloon) had requested, was a prime
cause of the trouble. 2 The Dodge City war and the part played by
Clark Chipman may be found in the section on Luke Short.

About the first of June, 1883, Chipman was replaced by Mys-
terious Dave Mather and reduced to the rank of policeman. His
subsequent dismissal provoked an indignant letter published in the
Ford County Globe, July 17, 1883:

DODGE CITY, KAS., July 12, 1813 [1883].

EDITOR GLOBE. Why was C. E. Chipman put off of the police force. A
man that was as good an officer as ever was on the force, and the only man
that had any interest in the city, the only officer that pays a cent of taxes. Why
is it that the Mayor and Council puts on Tom Dick and Harry, men that are
imported in here from other countries. There are citizens here that would like
to have it and would give just as good satisfaction as men from Colorado and
New Mexico. There are men here that are citizens, have families and are
property owners that would like to have it at a reasonable salary per month.
It is a shame and a disgrace on the citizens at Ford County and at Dodge City


to pay men one hundred and fifty dollars per month, when our own men would
do it for the same. Now let their be a warning to tax payers at this city and
at the next city election elect a man that is a property owner and a citizen,
and a man that will work to the interest of our community. Look at the con-
dition of our town. Has there been any reform about which Deger puffed and
blowed so much? An ignorant man is not competent to tell what to do. That
is what is the matter with our mayor.

As we stated above the only tax payer on the force was put off and what
was he put off for? No one knows. There is not any one that can say a
harmful word of him and he is a man that has always done his duty, always
could be found at any time and as good a lawabiding citizen as there is in
our city.

He is the only officer that got out and worked for the Deger ticket, and the
way he has been treated is a shame. If he has done anything to be discharged
for, why don't the Mayor and Council investigate it.


As well as a former Deger supporter.

The exact end date of Chipman's police services has not been
determined. He was paid $40.00 for June service and $50.00 for
"special services in July." 3 His name does not appear on subsequent
salary lists.

On July 31, 1883, the Globe published this letter in answer to the
questions put by the "citizen and tax payer'*:

DODGE CITY, July 26, 1883.

The "former Deger supporter's" able letter and pertinent questions as to the
whys and wherefores of Clark Chipman's removal as assistant marshal are to
the initiated easily understood. Here it is. In 1876, Deger being marshal,
arrested a man named Blake and placed him in the same cell of the calaboose
with Ferguson, Henderson and Boyle, three horse thieves since hung. This
against the remonstrance of Blake, who begged him to place him somewhere
else, telling him they (F., H. and B.) would surely kill him. The authocratic

Deger "didn't care a d ," and in fifteen minutes Blake's yells brought aid,

when Blake was found with one eye cut out by the use of a jack knife, and
nearly dead from kicks and stabs. Blake sued the city, who employed four
attorneys to aid Mr. Colburn, city attorney, whereupon Judge Peters held that
the city was not liable, but that the marshal was the wrong doer. The great
Deger being at that time totally worthless (financially) no suit was brought.

All this was known to Clark Chipman, and right here comes the gist of
Clark's removal. A few days after the scepter of absolute power as Mayor
had been clutched by his Greatness, and while he was preparing to remove
to his castle OUTSIDE OF THE CITY OF DODGE CITY, (see Dass. Stat.,
chapter 19, article 1, Sec. 12, page 188,) and where he now resides contrary
to said Statute, meeting Clark upon the street, Deger in manner and voice
imitating our idea of the Czar of Russia, ordered Clark to "immediately throw
that d [D. M.] Frost [editor of the Ford County Globe] into the cala-
boose." Chipman knew he must either be cognizant of an offense having been
committed or have a warrant, and he so told his royal highness, it was


enough. Clark was dismissed and taught "not to contend with the Spirits of
Heaven," and learned that this was an absolute majorality, whose gratitude
for favors closed with the closing of the polls, and whose election meant "pap
for my supporters and persecution for those who differed with me and my
clam." JUSTICE.

On August 30, 1883, Chipman was listed by the Dodge City
Times as being a member of the Click Guards, a militia unit of
Dodge City. Many of the Luke Short faction in the recent troubles
were also listed as members.

Chipman, as a special deputy sheriff, aided Sheriff Pat Sughrue
in taking a prisoner to court in Lamed in January, 1884. ( See the
section on Sughrue.) This was the last mention found of C. E.
Chipman as a police officer.

1. See, also, the Ford County Globe, June 13, 1882. 2. Daily Kansas State Journal,
May 17, 1883. 3. Ford County Globe, July 17, August 14, 1883.



William F. Cody received only occasional mention in the pages of
Kansas newspapers in the 1860's. One of the earliest notices found,
provided the "Buffalo Bill" mentioned was Buffalo Bill Cody
and not William M. "Buffalo Bill" Mathewson, who is reputed
to be the original "Buffalo Bill" appeared in the Leavenworth
Daily Conservative, November 26, 1867. A hunting excursion
had taken several Ohio and eastern Kansas gentlemen to Fort
Hays where on Friday, November 22, they embarked on a
buffalo chase. "Much anxiety was created on Saturday night
by the non-arrival of Judge Corwin, who had strayed from
the party on Friday. On Sunday, Lieut. Kennedy, of Co. G,
5th cavalry, with a party of his men, and Buffalo Bill, with fifteen
or twenty citizens volunteered to go out and look for him," re-
ported the Conservative. "After a long ride the latter named party,
found the lost man about five miles from the fort, nearly starved
and almost exhausted."

On January 11, 1868, the Conservative printed this item from the
Hays City Advance:

Buffalo and elk meat is as plenty as cranberries in Michigan or shad in
Connecticut, and as cheap.

Bill Cody and "Brigham" [his horse] started on a hunt Saturday afternoon,
and came in Tuesday. The result was nineteen buffalo. Bill brought in over
four thousand pounds of meat, which he sold for seven cents per pound,
making about $100 per day for his time out.


The Lawrence Kansas Weekly Tribune, February 20, 1868, re-

At Hays City considerable anxiety exists in regard to the safety of a party
of the citizens who were out buffalo hunting. There were ten in all in the
company, among whom were George and Henry Field, brothers of Mr. Samuel
Field, of this city, and Mr. Parks, the traveling correspondent of the Journal,
ah 1 under the direction of Cody, the noted guide and hunter. They left Hays
ten days since, and were to return on Friday last, but have not been heard of
since. Fears are expressed that they have been captured or killed by the
Indians, who have shown decided symptoms of hostility of late. Some efforts
are being made toward organizing a party to go in search of them.

The Leavenworth Daily Conservative, March 5, 1868, again bor-
rowed from the Advance: "Bill Cody has made a match to run the
Brigham pony ninety miles in twelve hours. Brigham is to 'tote*
175 pounds, and the race is to come off next month."

Cody and Wild Bill Hickok visited Topeka on official business in
March, according to the Topeka Weekly Leader, April 2, 1868:

BAND OF ROAD MEN CAPTURED W. F. Cody, government detective, and
Wm. Haycock Wild Bill deputy U. S. Marshal, brought eleven prisoners
and lodged them in our calaboose on Monday last. These prisoners belonged
to a band of robbers having their headquarters on the Solomon and near
Trinidad, and were headed by one Major Smith, once connected with the
Kansas 7th. They are charged with stealing and secreting government
property, and desertion from the army.

Seventeen men, belonging to this same band, were captured eleven miles
from Trinidad, on the 13th March, and sent to Denver, Colorado Territory, for

One other newspaper item has been found concerning a long
disputed phase in the career of Buffalo Bill Cody and though far
removed from Kansas it is worthy of being reprinted here. The
Ellis County Star, Hays, August 3, 1876, carried the story in the
form of a correspondent's letter:


FT. LARAMIE, July 22d, 1876.

Again I find time to send you a few lines regarding our trip. Since my
last our time has been occupied by scouting over the country lying between
this point and the Black Hills. ... On the morning of the 17th two
men of "C" company overtook us, bearing dispatches to Col. Merritt, who
was down the creek about five miles. They pushed on, but had not gone
more than a mile when we saw a large body of mounted men on a ridge
east of us. At first we took them to be a portion of our command, but soon
discovered that they were Indians. The two companies of Infantry that were


with us tumbled out of the wagons remarkably lively and took their places
beside them.

Three or four Indians started out on a run to cut off the dispatch bearers.
They had not seen the command, and were not aware that we were in that
vicinity; but Bill Cody and his scouts were watching them, and when he saw
what they [were] up to, he thought that several more might play at the same
game. He then got around the Indians and when they felt sure of the couriers
Cody raised up from behind a little hill and shot the pony of one of the red-
skins. Then starting after his victim he soon had him killed and his scalp off.
As soon as he fired the command charged and after a run of three miles killed
three more and wounded five. Taking two days rations we pushed on after
the Indians and run them right into Red Cloud Agency. Private Seffers of
"D" company was hurt by the falling of his horse down an embankment, be-
ing the only person injured during the entire trip.

The Indian killed by Buffalo Bill proved to be Yellow Hand, a sub-war
chief of the Southern Cheyennes. He was leading a band of 75 warriors to
Sitting Bull's army. . . .


The Ellsworth Reporter, in its directory of city officers, listed
J. L. Councell as city marshal from its first appearance on June
6, 1872, through August 15. Issues of the Reporter for May 30 and
August 22 are missing from the files of the State Historical Society.

Councell may have been marshal of Ellsworth when this article
appeared in the Reporter, May 16, 1872:

FEMALE POLITICIAN. The other morning we witnessed the Marshall and
assistant arguing a point with a woman. The point in dispute seemed to be
the proper way to go to the cooler. The Marshall insisted on her walking and
she insisted on being carried. As is always the way the women came out vic-
torious. Drunk was no name for it.

Ellsworth's first shooting of the 1872 cattle season occurred while
Councell was marshal of the town. The Reporter, August 1, 1872,
published the story:


Ellsworth, which has been remarkably quiet this season, had its first shooting
affair this season last Saturday at about six o'clock, at the Ellsworth Billiard
saloon. The room was full of "money changers" at the time, busily at work,
and lookers on intently watching the games. Among others I. P. Olive was
seated at a table playing cards. All of a sudden a shot was heard and sooner
than we can write it, four more shots were fired. Kennedy came into the
room, went behind the bar and taking a revolver walked up in front of Olive
and fired at him telling him "to pass in his checks." Olive threw up his
hands exclaiming "don't shoot." The second, third and fourth shot took effect,


one entering the groin and making a bad wound, one in the thigh and the
other in the hand.

Olive could not fire, though he was armed; but some one, it seems a little
uncertain who, fired at Kennedy, hitting him in the hip, making only a flesh
wound. The difficulty arose from a game of cards in the forenoon, Kennedy
accusing Olive of unfair dealing. Olive replying in language that professionals
cannot bear. The affair made considerable excitement. The wounded were
taken in custody and cared for. Drs. Duck & Fox extracted the bullet from
Olive and a piece of his gold chain which was shot into the wound. It was
feared that Olive would not survive, but the skill of the doctors save[d] him.
Kennedy was removed to South Main street and put under the charge of three
policemen, but by the aid of friends he escaped during the night from the
window and has not since been heard of.

All has been quiet since the affair and is likely to remain so.

In the same issue the Reporter said: "Eight policemen are tak-
ing care of this city/'

On August 8, 1872, the Reporter told of a disagreement within
the city administration: "Our city officers can't agree on a marshall.
The Mayor appointed Mr. Councell but the councilmen will not
confirm him. Meanwhile we have peace and order."

By September 19, 1872, the Reporter was carrying the name of
Edward Hogue as city marshal.


( -1873)

The murder of Sheriff Chauncey B. Whitney, August 15, 1873, in-
augurated a series of shootings and killings in Ellsworth which did
not end until nearly three months had passed.

The first of these affairs occurred on August 20 and was recorded
in the Ellsworth Reporter, August 21, 1873:


Yesterday about four o'clock the citizens of Ellsworth were startled at the
report of two pistol shots. In a moment there was a large crowd in front of
J. Beebe's store, and it was ascertained that Cad Pierce was shot. The report
was true. The excitement of course, was great. Pierce was a leader of the
Thompson element and upheld and defended them in all the disturbances they
have made. While the police were out searching for the murderer of Whitney,
it was Cad Pierce who offered $1,000 reward for the capture [murder] of the
whole police force. We have interviewed the city marshal, Mr. Hogue, who
gives the following particulars:

"John Good, Neil Kane and Cad Pierce came up to me and said they heard
by certain parties that I had given Happy Jack [Morco] papers, ordering them to
leave the town. I told Cad Pierce that it was no such a thing, that he ought to


know better. He then told me to come with him, that he wanted to give Happy
Jack a talking to and he wanted me to go with him. I told him that I
would not do it, for there had been too much talk already. Ed. Crawford
was standing in the crowd; he said yes, a d~m sight too much talk; and he
said, bad talk on your side. Crawford asked what did you say yesterday
when you had that shot gun in your hands? You said this gun had killed
one short horn son of a bitch, and that it cost $100 and you would not take
$200 better for it. I then spoke to Crawford, don't multiply words! Come
away! Cad Pierce then made a reply, but I could not hear what it was; but
I heard Crawford say, what is that you say? If you want to fight here is the
place for it as good as any! He then stepped back, laid his hand on a six
shooter, but did not draw it until Cad Pierce put his hand behind his back
apparently to draw his six shooter; when Crawford drew his and fired twice.
At the first shot, Cad Pierce ran into Beebe's store, the second was fired just as
he ran into the door."

Policeman Crawford says that Pierce wanted a fight and he reached for
his revolver but "I was to quick for him."

Pierce lived but a few minutes. Neil Kane had a narrow escape. Happy
Jack presented two revolvers at him. Kane begged for mercy and at the
intervention of the city Marshal he was saved. He took his horse and fled.

We cannot but deprecate such scenes of violence as were enacted yester-
day but the battle had to come off. Whitney has been partly avenged.
There are threats of burning the town and policemen are also threatened but
it will be hardly safe to do either. If it is done, or the attempt made the
crime will be fastened upon some of the leaders and they will have to suffer
for it.

The police showed the greatest bravery yesterday, appearing separately

Online LibraryKansas State Historical SocietyThe Kansas historical quarterly (Volume 26) → online text (page 23 of 59)