Karl Baedeker (Firm).

Belgium and Holland, including the grand-duchy of Luxembourg : handbook for travellers : with 19 maps, 37 plans of towns, and 8 ground plans online

. (page 13 of 77)
Online LibraryKarl Baedeker (Firm)Belgium and Holland, including the grand-duchy of Luxembourg : handbook for travellers : with 19 maps, 37 plans of towns, and 8 ground plans → online text (page 13 of 77)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1 M. long, 22 yds. broad, and lighted with electricity (chair 5 c).

The dune scenery between Heyst and Knocke (see below) is
the finest in N. Belgium. About 1 M. from Heyst, and nearly half-
way to Knocke, lies Duinbergen (Grand -Hdtel Pauwels, pens.
6-18 fr., Hot. de I' Ocean, on the beach; Hot. du Chalet, on the
dunes, 40 R., pens. 5-12 fr. • Hot. de la Station, 12 R., pens, from
5 fr.), a seaside -resort frequented mainly by Germans. A paved
road leads hence to the station of the steam-tramway (p. 18).

Knocke-Sur-Mer. — Hotels. On the Digue: Grand-Hotbl, 300 R.,
pens." from 8 frTpGRAND-HoTEL du Kursaal, 250 R. at 4-8, B. IV4, D. 3 x /2,
S. 274, pens, from 8 fr.; Palace Hotel, patronized by English tourists,
tbese three first-class; Hot. du Phare; Hot; de la Plage; behind these,
Hot. Beau-Sejour, Hot. Continental, Hot. Bellevue. — On the road
leading to the village: Hot. du Littoral; Hot. Central; Hot. des Dunes;
Hot. Metsman - Schepens ; Hot. du Rhin; Deutscher Hof; Dusseldorfer
Hof ; Hot. Baudouin, 45 R. at 2-2 x /2, B. 3/ 4 , D. 2, pens. 4-5 fr. In the Village:
Hot. de Bruges; Hot. du Ctgne; Hot. Costn, 50 R. at IV2-2, B. 3/ 4 , D. l 3 / 4 ,
pens. 4-4V2 fr., these three unpretending. — Sea-bath 70 c. — Horse-Gars
ran from the electric tramway station (p. 18) to the digue. Hotel omni-
buses meet the trains at Heyst station. — English Church, with services
during the season. — Golf Course (18 holes ; 2 fr. per day, 10 fr. per week).

Knocke-sur-Mer, the northernmost bathing -resort in Flanders, is
now rapidly growing, and attracts many hundreds of visitors an-
nually, of whom a large proportion are English. The digue is here
paved with bricks for a distance of 2 / 3 M. From the dunes, among
which are many modern villas, a view of the island of Walcheren
an d the harbour of Flushing may be obtained in clear weather.




-jsXgj 'gv^jLs^sz^rsiz^ spuKso




■5-fc : III -l • '■

IfMfillf

ri n n * u". « t> oe os



H



1H- S iri



^ jSr*"*"^ f l






^mm^%^ H hi ^ s







BRUGES. 3. Route. 23

Continuation of the steam -tramway via (472 M.) Westcappelle and
(IOV2 M.) Dudzeele to (14 M.) Bruges, see p. 24.

From Westcappelle (see above) a steam-tramway, crossing the Dutch
frontier, runs via. Sint Anna ter Muiden, a thoroughly Dutch village, to
(6 M.) Sluis, French VEcluse (H6t. de Korenbeurs, 20 R. at 1 fl. 20-1 fl. 50,
B. 50 c, D. I74-IV2 A., unpretending but good; V Hof van Brussel, 10 R. at
1 fl., B. 40c.,'D. 1 fl.), a small and ancient seaport, frequented by artists
in summer, with a hotel de ville and a belfry of 1396. Sluis, like Damme,
was formerly situated on the Zwyn (p. 43), but is now connected with
the sea by a canal only. To Bruges via, Damme, see p. 43. The steam-
tramway goes on from Sluis to Breskent (p. 296), via, Draaibrug (to Mal-
deghem, see p. 78) and Schoondyke, whence a line runs to Eecloo (p. 78).

Kadzand, a Dutch village frequented for sea-bathing, lies near the
Zwyn, to the N. of Sluis (IV2 hr, by carriage), and may be reached from
Knocke on foot along the coast in 2 hrs. In the village are two small
inns; and on the dunes, D/z M. distant, is the Badhuis Eadzand.

3. Bruges.

Railway Stations. 1. Station Centrale (PI. A, 5), used by all trains, a
handsome Gothic edifice, built in 1879-86. — 2. Station du Nord (PI. C, 2 •,
p. 2), for the trains to Blankenberghe and Heyst.

Hotels. In the town: *H6tel de Flandke (PI. a ; ,5), Rue Nord
du-Sablon 38, with lift, central - heating, and baths, 70 R. at 4-8, B. IV2
dej. (11 a.m.-2 p.m.) 4, D. (7.30 p.m.) 5, pens. 10-16 fr. (Oct.-March from
7 fr.); *Grand-H6tel et Gr -Hot. do Commerce (PL b ; B, 4), Rue St. Jac-
ques 39, with baths, 60 R. at 4-7, B. H/2, dej. 3-3V2, D. 4, pens, from 10,
omn. 1 fr. — Hotel do Sablon (PI. n ; B, 5), Rue Nord-du-Sablon 21, 36 R.
at 372-5, B. I74, dej. 2y 2 , D. 3, pens. 9-12 fr. ; Hot. do Panieb-d'Oh (PI. h;
B, 4), on the N. side of the Grand' Place, frequented by English travellers,
24 R. from 3, B. 1, dej. 2, D. 3, pens. 872 fr., with cafe-restaurant, well
spoken of; St. Amand (PI. g; B, 5), Rue St. Amand 5, 20 R. at 2-27 2 , B. 3/ 4 ,
dej. I72, D. l 3 /4 fr., unpretending; Hot.-Cafe Belge, Rue Sud-du-Sablon
(PL A, 5) 40 R. at 17 2 , B. 3/ 4 , D. 17 2 fr. — Near the station: Windsob
(PL c; A, 5), 40 R. at 3-6, B. I74, dej. 27a, D. 372, pens. 8-12 fr. ; Hotel de
Londres (PL d; A, 5), 40 R. at 3-5, B. 174, D. (at 12.30 p.m.) 2y a fr., with
a popular restaurant; Metropole (PL e; A, 5), Comte-de-Flandke (PL i;
A, 5), Monbijoo (PL f. ; A, 5), 18 R. at 3-5, D. 2 fr., all with cafes-restaurants.

Pensions (chiefly patronized by the English). Mme. Veriest, Rue Lon-
gue 3 (PL D, E, 5), 24 R., pens. 5-77 2 fr.; Continental, Rue de laMonnaie22
(PL B, 4), 18 R. at 2-3, pens, from 5 fr.; Redlich-Knight, Rue du Vieux-Sac 30
(PL A, B, 4), 52 R., pens. 5 fr. ; Mrs. Hoeck, Rue Wallonne 18 (PL C, 5), 4 R.,
pens. 472-6 fr.; O'Brien, Pont des Augustins (PL C, 4), 20 R., pens. 5-6 fr.;
Le Marchand, Rue Cour de Gand 25 (PL C, D, 4), 24 R., pens. 5-7 fr.

Restaurants. In the hotels ; also, Mille Colonnes, March6-aux-G3ufs,
at the N.W. corner of the Grand 1 Place; Gercle Catholique (PL B, 5), Rue
des Pierres 38, D. 27 2 fr. ; Cecil, Rue Flamande 9 (PL C, 4), dej. (12-3) 2 fr. ;
Trois Suisses, Rue Philipp-Stock 19 (PI, C, 5; Munich beer); Miinchener
BUrgerbrdu. Place de la Station; Zwart Huis ( Maison Noire), Rue des Tonne-
liers 23 (PL B, 4), Cafe" Vlissinghe, Rue des Blanchisseurs 2 (PL D, 4), both
in the early Flemish style. — Confectioner. Jac. Lippens, Grand 1 Place.

Baths. Bains St. Sauvevr, at the back of the cathedral (PL B, 5).

Post and Telegraph Office (PL 7; C, 5), corner of the Grand 1 Place and
Rue de la Bride; also at the Railway Station (PL A, 5), etc.

Oal)s. Drive within the town I74 fr. (in winter 1 fr.), outside the town
according to a zonal tariff; per hi>ur, either within or outside the town,
2fr., each addit. 74 hr. 50 c. Each article of luggage carried outside 25 c.



24 Route 3. BRUGES. Practical Notes.

Omnibuses from the Station Centrale (PL A, 5) via the Grand' Place (PI.
B, C, 5) to the Bassin (Porte de Damme; PL E, 2; fare 10 c).

Steam Tramways (Chemins de fer Vicinaux). 1. From the Place de la
Station (PI. A, 5) via the Place du Theatre (PL G, 4), Rempart du Bassin
(PI. D, 2), Porte de Damme (PL E, 2), and Route de LEcluse (PL E, 1) to
(2 M.) Fort Lapin, (6 M.) Dudzeele (p. 2), (lO'/z M.) Westcappelle (to Sluis,
p. 23), (12V 2 M.) Knocke (p. 22), (13V 2 M.) Duinbergen (p. 22), and (14V4 M.)
Heyst (p. 22). Fares 1st cl. 1 fr. 65, 2nd cl. 1 fr. 15 c — 2. From the Grand 1
Place (PL B, C, 5) via the Porte de Gand (PL C, D, 7) and Porte Ste. Croix
(PL E, 5) to (7V2 M.) Moerkerke and (13 M.) Aardenburg (p. 78). — 3. From
the Place du Theatre (PL C, 4) via the Grand' Place (PL B, C, 5) and Porte
de Gand (PL C, D, 7) to Assebrouck, (5 M.) Oedelem, (IOV2 M.) Knesselaere,
and (13V2 M.) Ursel (p. 47). — 4. From the Place du Theatre via the Grand
Place (PL B, C, 5), Rue Neuve de Gand (PL C, B, 6), and Rue Ste. Catherine
(PL B, 6, 7) to the chief cemetery, Steenbrugge (p. 78), and (12V2 M.)
Swevezeele (p. 47).

Steamboats. From Fort Lapin (tramway No. 1) via Damme (p. 43) to
Sluis (p. 23), several times daily in H/3 hr. ; fare 1 fr. or 70 c, there and
back (valid for 4 days) 1 fr. 60 c. or i fr. — From Scheepsdaele (PL A, 1)
to Ostend (p. 10) daily, in 2 hrs.

Pleasure Boats (barquettes) on the canals may be hired from Ch. van
Hove, Rue Ste. Catherine 4, at the Pont Notre-Dame (PL B, 6); 2 fr. per
hour per person, 1 fr. for every additional hour.

Booksellers. K. Beyaert, Rue Notre-Dame 6 ; Demolin- Claeyt, Place de
LAcademie; Geuens-Willaert, Place St. Jean 5.

British Vice-Consul, Lieut.-Col. H. E. Boileau.

English Church (Chapel of the Theresian Convent), Rue d'Ostende (PL B, 3) ;
services at 8.30, 11, and 6; chaplain, Rev. J. A. Hull, B.A.. Rue de LEglise
St. Gilles 10. — English Reading Room (10 c), 14 Place St. Jean.

Collections, etc. Inclusive tickets ('carnets 1 ) for the chief sights are
issued at 5 fr. by the society La Roya (Pavilion pour strangers, to the right
of the entrance to the Cathedral).

Belfry (p. 36), 25 c, with admission to the chimes 50 c. The chimes are
played by hand on Sun. at 11.30 a.m., and on Wed. and Sat. at 11.15 a.m.

Chapelle du Saint-Sang (p. 38), free on Frid. 6-11.30 and Sun. 8-9, at
other times V2 fr. Exhibition of the Holy Blood every Frid. 6-11.30 a.m. ;
great procession on the 1st Mon. after 2nd. May.

Cathedral (St. Sauveur, p. 28), comp. p. xviii; the sacristan who opens the
chapels receives 50 c. from each person.

Oruuthuuse Mansion (p. 35), week-days 10-1 and 2-6 (in winter 4), Sun.
2-5 p.m., lfr.; ticket available also for the Musee Archeologique (see below).

Hospice de la Poterie (p. 42), Apr. 15th -Oct. 15th daily 9-6, Oct. 15th-
Apr. 15th week-days 9-4, Sun. 3-4 p.m., V2 fr.

Hospital of St. John (p. 30), daily 9-6 (in winter 9-4), Sun. and holidays
3-5 (in winter 3-4), 1 fr. (no gratuities). Tickets admitting to the Hospital
of St. John, the Hospice de la Poterie, and the Muse'e des Hospices Civils
may be obtained here for IV2 fr.

mteldeVille (p. 37), daily April lst-Sept. 30th 9-1 &2-6, Oct.-March 9-3, 25 c.

Library (p. 41), Mon. to Frid., 10-i and 4-7.

Muse'e Archiologique (p. 36), week-days 9-1 and 2-5 (Oct. to April, on
Tues. and Frid. only, 10-12 and 2-4), 1 fr.; free on Sun. and holidays 11-1;
at other times apply to the custodian. The ticket is available also for the
Gruuthuuse Mansion (see above).

Musie Communal (p. 32), free on Sun. 11-1; week-days 9-1, Apr. lst-
Sept. 30th 2-6 (Sun. 5), Oct. lst-March 31st 2-3.30, adm. 50 c.

Musie de Peinture Moderne (Picture Gallery; p. 43), at the same hoars
as the Musee Communal ; 25 c.

Musie des Hospices Civils (p. 37), daily 9-1 and 2-5 (in winter 2-4), 1/2 fr.

Notre Dame (p. 28), comp. p. xviii. The sacristan shows the covered pic-
tures and the Bnrgundy chapel at the following charges: 1 pers. 1 fr.,
2 pers. IV2 fr., 3 pers. 1 fr. 80 c, 4 pers. 2 fr. On Frid. exhibition of relics.

Palais de Justice (p. 38) ; court-room, daily 50 c.



History. BRUGES. 3. Route. 25

Bruges (30 ft), Flem. Brugge, the capital of W. Flanders and
the see of a bishop since 1559 (comp. p. xxiii), with 58,000 inhab.
(including a colony of 3000 English], lies on the little river Reie
or Roya, 7*/2 M. to the S. of its new harbour of Zee-Brugge (p. 2) by
the Canal Maritime. Small craft can reach it also by the Ostend
Canal, wbich has branches to Blankenbergbe, Ypres, Nieuport, and
Fumes. Other canals connect Bruges with Ghent and Sluis. That
the industrial spirit of the town is reviving is proved by the large
market-gardens, a ceramic factory, and the making of lace.

Bruges (which in Flemish means bridges, a name due to the
numerous bridges crossing the canals) is mentioned as Municipium
Brugense as early as the 7th century. Margrave Baldwin I. of the
Iron Arm (d. ca. 879), founder of the powerful line of Counts of
Flanders, built a castle here in 865, and Robert of Friesland (d. 1093)
chose the thriving trading town as his residence. After the assas-
sination of Charles the Good (1127) the burghers, assembling in
the Marche* du Yendredi, elected Count Theodoric of Alsace to be
Count of Flanders, and returned the following spirited answer to the
deputies of the king of France (Louis VI.), who had sent to object to
their choice : 'Go, tell your master that he is perjured ; that his crea-
ture William of Normandy (usurper of the sovereignty of Flanders)
has rendered himself unworthy of the crown by his infamous extor-
tions ; that we have elected a new sovereign, and that it becomes
not the King of France to oppose us. That it is our privilege alone,
as burghers and nobles of Flanders, to choose our own master.'

In the 13th and following cent. Bruges, then connected with
the North Sea by means of the Zwyn (p. 43), ranked with Ypres
and Yenice as one of the great commercial centres of Europe. As
the head of the 'Flemish Hansa in London' it practically mono-
polized the trade with England, especially the wool-trade which
was of so great importance for the Belgian cloth-factories, and at
the same time it was a 'staple place' for the cities of the German
Hanseatic League. Lombards and Yenetians conveyed hither the
products of India and Italy, and returned home with the manu-
factures of Germany and the Baltic Sea. Factories, or privileged
trading companies, from seventeen different kingdoms, had settled
in Bruges. After its enlargement in 1297 the town was about 4^2 M.
in circumference. The population is said to have been 200,000.
In 1302, when Johanna of Navarre, with her husband Philippe le
Bel of France, visited Bruges and beheld the sumptuous costumes of
the inhabitants, she is said to have exclaimed : 'I imagined myself
alone to be queen, but I see hundreds of persons here whose attire
vies with my own.' Dante [Inferno xv, 4-6) compares the barrier
which separates the river of tears from the desert with the embank-
ments erected by the Flemings under Count John of Namur (1300
et seq.), between Bruges and YVissant (beyond the French frontier),
to protect the coast against the encroachments of the sea.



26 Route 3. BRUGES. 8. W. Quarter:

Bruges attained the culminating point of its prosperity during
the first half of the 15th cent., when the Dukes of Burgundy held
their court here. During this period a "brilliant colony of artists
was retained at Bruges in busy employment, and their works still
shed a lustre on the name of the city. The gradual silting up of the
harbours on the adjacent coast, however, began to undermine the
prosperity of the town towards the close of the 15th cent., and its
fall was accelerated by contests with Maximilian (p. 37"), who trans-
ferred his favour to Antwerp, and by the rise of the S. German com-
mercial towns. In 1505 the Fuggers, the merchant-princes of Augs-
burg, removed their office from Bruges to Antwerp, and they were
followed in 1545 by the Hanseatic 'factories'. Finally the religious
commotions of the latter half of the 16th cent, completed the com-
mercial ruin of Bruges. — Of all the cities of Belgium Bruges has
best preserved its mediaeval characteristics (p. xlvi), in spite of the
erection of many tasteless new buildings and the removal of the
old town wall, which was razed about the middle of the 19th cent,
to meet the needs of modern traffic, leaving nothing standing ex-
cept the four gates. — Comp. E. Qilliat Smith's 'The Story of Bruges',
in the Mediaeval Towns Series (London, 1901).



a. South-West Quarter of the City.

From the Railway Station (PI. A, 6 ; p. 23), which occupies
the site of the old Marche du Vendredi , two streets lead into the
town: to the left, the Rue Nord-du-Sablon, or Noord Zand-8traat,
and to the right, the Rue Sud-du-Sablon, or Zuid Zand-Straat. The
first of these is continued by the Rue St. Amand (PI. B, 5); the
second by the Rue des Pierres or Steenstraat (PI. B, 5). The last-
named street, which contains many picturesque gabled houses (lately
restored) of the 16-17th cent., skirts the Place Stevin (right), con-
taining a bronze statue (by Eug. Simonis ; 1846) of Simon Stevin
or Stevinus (1548-1620), the geometrician, who by establishing the
thesis of the parallelogram of forces and by discovering the hydro-
static paradox became one of the founders of mechanical science.

In the Cimetiere St. Sauveur, at the end of the Rue Sud-du-
Sablon, to the right, is the church of —

SintJSalxfttgr {St. Sauveur; PL B, 5), which has ranked as a
cathedTaTsince 1834 (comp. p. 39). The church, of very ancient
foundation, was rebuilt in the early-Gothic style after a fire, between
1183 and 1223; the nave and transept were largely renewed after
another fire in 1358 ; while the five chapels of the choir date from
1482-1527, and the vaulting of the ambulatory from 1527-30. Ex-
ternally it is a cumbrous building, disfigured by later additions and
surmounted by a castle- like W. tower, the Romanesque lower part
of which was built in 1116-27 and continued in 1358, while the
upper part was completed in 1846 and provided with a spire in 1871.



Cathedral. BRUGES. 3. Route. 27

The *Interior is remarkable for its fine proportions and its
many old treasures of art. It measures 331 ft. in length, 125 ft. in
breadth, and across the transept 174 ft., and is 82 ft. high. The
modern polychrome decoration is by Jean Bethune (1874); most of
the stained glass dates from the second half of the 19th cent. also.

On the West Wall, off which opens the churchwardens' vestry
(p. 281, where the sacristan (p. 24) is to be found, are several large
but not very important paintings of the 17th cent., by Jacob van Oost
the Elder, 6. Backereel, and Jan van den Hoecke.

North Aisle (left). At the entrance of the Baptistery, which
adjoins this aisle, near the transept, are two monumental *Brasses,
the one on the right dating from 1439, that on the left from 1518.
In the Baptistery (locked) : to the right, a *Crucifixion, painted in
tempera and probably the earliest extant picture of the Bruges
School (before 1400) ; two wings from a picture by Fr. Pourbus the
Younger, representing the members of the shoemakers' guild (1608) ;
handsome candelabrum of wrought iron (16th cent.) ; P. Pourbus,
Last Supper, with Abraham, Melchisedech, and Elijah on the wings ;
on the outside, the Mass of Gregory the Great, and thirteen *Por=
traits of Brothers of the Holy Sacrament (1559).

South Aisle. To the left of the S. entrance door: Crucifixion,
Bearing of the Cross, andPieta, a work of the Bruges School (ca.. 1500 ;
covered), formerly attributed to Gerard van de Meire.

Transept. A heavy marble rood-loft, in the baroque style, con-
structed in 1679-82, separates the transept from the choir. The
statue of God the Father upon it is by A. Quellin the Younger (16S2).
— Two chapels adjoin the transept. On the right is the Chapel of
St. Barbara, on the pillars in which are an altar-piece by Lancelot
Blondeel, the Madonna with SS. Luke and Eligius (1545), and a
small painted relief in carved wood (15th cent.), the Consecration
of St. Eligius (Sacre de St. Eloi?); on the right is a small winged
picture, representing the Presentation in the Temple, with donors
and saints, by Adr. Ysenbrant, a pupil of Gerard David. The Chapel
of the Shoemakers' Guild (Chapelle des Cordonniers), on the left,
contains fine wood-carving of the end of the 15th cent, and several
interesting brasses (on the left, ^Walter Coopman, 1387, and
Martin de Visch, 1452 ; on the right, the learned Schelewaerts,
1483, and Burgomaster Adr. Bave with his wife and son, 1555).

Choir. High- altar-piece (1642), Resurrection by Janssens; Van
Oost, Peter and John. At the sides are two monuments of bishops,
both by Pulincx (18th cent.). The magnificent Gothic choir-stalls
date from the 15th cent. ; the armorial bearings commemorate the
13th chapter of the Order of the Golden Fleece (Toison d'Or), founded
by Duke Philip the Good, which was held here in 1478.

Ambulatory (beginning at the N. or left transept). Van Oost,
The Saviour predicting his Passion to his Mother, and His last in-
terview with his Mother before the Passion. — 1st Chapel : Hand-



28 Route 3. BRUGES. 8. W. Quarter:

some screen of 1513 ; altar of 1517, with a painted crucifix (the old-
est Renaissance work in Bruges). — 2nd Chapel: Screen of 1517;
Altar-piece, The Virgin and St. Bernard, by Allaert Claeissens. —
By the pillar opposite : Marble tomb of Jan de Schietere (d. 1575)
and his wife, with a Crucifixion and figures of the married couple
and their patron-saints, by Egidius de Witte.

3rd Chapel : Stained glass of the 16th century. To the left,
Ant. Claeissens, Descent from the Cross; on the left wing, St. Philip,
on the right wing, Bishop Rodoan, the founder, with his patron-
saint, Charlemagne (1609). — Dierick Bouts, *Martyrdom of
St. Hippolytus,

The principal picture represents the saint about to be torn to pieces
by four horses, mounted, or led by men on foot. The unfounded local
legend is that these horses were copied by Memling from the famous
horses of St. Mark at Venice. On the left wing is a scene from the life
of St. Hippolytus, on the right the donor and his wife in a beautiful land-
scape. On the outside of the wings are four saints in grisaille. This is
a masterpiece of the early Flemish school, with fine aerial perspective in
the landscape-backgrounds. The latest critics assign the figures of the
donors to Hugo van der Goes. Comp. pp. 241, xlix.

This chapel also contains : Jac. van Oost the Elder, The Infant
Saviour in the workshop of his father Joseph, Flight into Egypt ;
H. van Minderhout, Battle of Lepanto ; modern reliquary (1884)
of Charles the Good, Count of Flanders (p. 25) ; tomb of John
Carondelet, Chancellor of Flanders (d. 1544).

4th Chapel : Group in five sections, with scenes from the Passion
in carved wood, painted and gilded (ca. 1460). — 5th Chapel, at
the back of the high-altar: by the pillar on the right, Pieta, a
gilded copper relief by P. Wolfganck (ca. 1535). — 6th Chapel. In
the floor, monumental *Brass, richly enamelled, for Jan van Couden-
berghe (d. 1525) and BernhaTdin van den Hoeve (d. 1527). To the
left, Mater Dolorosa, on a gold ground, by an imitator of Quinten
Matsys (Jan van Eeckele?). To the right Portrait of Emp. Charles V.
(ca. 1520), perhaps a copy of B. van Orley. — 7th Chapel : Three
landscapes (17th cent.), illustrating the miraculous transference of
the Casa Santa from Nazareth to Loreto. — Farther on in the am-
bulatory : to the left, Jan Er. Quellin, St. Simon Stock receiving
the scapulary from the Virgin (1686).

The Chambee des Mabgutlliebs, or Churchwardens 1 Vestry, at the W.
end of the S. aisle (p. 27), contains several works of art and a leaden slab
of 1087 from the tomb of St. Gunhildis, the sister of the last Saxon king
Harold, who died at Bruges. The ivory pastoral staff of St. Maclou (d. 565),
the enamelled head of a pastoral staff of the 13th cent., and some ancient
missals are preserved in a cabinet here. On the walls : Crucifixion, a
triptych of the Bruges School (ca. 1480); portraits by Pourbus, etc.

The eight pieces of Brussels tapestry kept in the Saceistt, executed
by Van der Borght from cavtoona by Jan van Orley (1731), are exhibited in
the choir during Holy Week.

A few paces to the S.E., at the end of the Rue du St. Esprit, lies —

* NotreDaffle (Flem. Onzelieve Vrouwenkerk; Pl.B, 6), another

early-Gothlcstructure, erected on the site of an earlier chapel in the



Notre Dame. BRUGES. 3. Route. 29

12-13th centuries. The church had originally only two aisles ; the
outer aisles with their rows of chapels date from 1344-60 (N. side)
and 1450-74 (S. side). The tower, 400 ft. high, was completed in
1297, the spire heing restored in 1858 and the turrets at the angles
in 1873. The "beautiful late-Gothic addition on the N. side (ca.
1470) was originally a portal, named 'Het Paradys'. The W. front
was restored in 1907.

The Interior (p. 24) is 236 ft. long, 164 ft. hroad, and 69 ft.
high. The general effect of the nave is somewhat spoiled hy the
carved wooden pulpit of 1743, with figures and reliefs (Wisdom
seated on the terrestrial glohe), and the carved wooden rood-loft
of 1722, which separates it from the choir. The crucifix above the
rood-loft dates from 1594. Most of the stained glass is modern
(second half of the 19th cent.).

North Aisles. Near the end, to the left of the baptistery (the
former 'Paradys', see above), in a niche covered with a Gothic
canopy, is a much-revered statue of the Virgin, dating from 1485 (?).

South Aisles. On the W. wall is a large winged picture (in
five sections) from the old high-altar, representing in the middle
the Crucifixion, and on the wings the Bearing of the Cross, the
Crown of Thorns, the Descent from the Cross, and Christ in Hades,
begun hy B. van Orley, finished hy M. Gheeraerts (1561), and
restored hy Pourlus the Younger in 1589 after the iconoclastic
outrages. On the 2nd and 3rd pillars : Be Crayer, Adoration of the
Infant Jesus (1662) ; Seghers, *Adoration of the Magi, with saints (the
painter's masterpiece ; 1630). — 2nd Chapel : Ant. Claeissens (?),
Virgin and Child in a landscape, with portraits of the donor Nic.
van Thienen and his wife, and the Annunciation in grisaille on
the wings. — 3rd Chapel: Triptych of the Virgin, Child, and an
angel, with portraits of Don Diego de Villegas, his wife, and
children, hy an unknown painter (ca. 1540). — 4th Chapel : Trans-



Online LibraryKarl Baedeker (Firm)Belgium and Holland, including the grand-duchy of Luxembourg : handbook for travellers : with 19 maps, 37 plans of towns, and 8 ground plans → online text (page 13 of 77)