Lachlan Shaw.

The history of the province of Moray. Comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the county of Inverness and a portion of the county of Banff,--all called the province of Moray before there was a division into counties online

. (page 11 of 37)
Online LibraryLachlan ShawThe history of the province of Moray. Comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the county of Inverness and a portion of the county of Banff,--all called the province of Moray before there was a division into counties → online text (page 11 of 37)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

XYII. Sir John Grant, of Freuchy, who entered into
possession of his fortune with every advantage, but by
the profuse and expensive style in which he lived, his
frequent attendance at Court, and residing chiefly at
Edinburgh, he considerably impaired it, and sold the
estate of Lethen, one of his father's acquisitions, to
Alexander Brodie. He married Mary Ogilvie, daughter
of AValter Lord Ogilvie, of Deskford, and of Marion,
daughter of William, Earl of Morton, who brought him
a family of eight sons and three daughters, viz. (1) James,
his successor. (2) John, who entering the army was soon
advanced to the rank of Colonel, and died a bachelor. (3)
Patrick, afterwards tutor to his nephew Ludovick, Laird
of Grant; he was likewise a Colonel in the time of the
civil wars ; he married a daughter of Sutherland, Earl of
Duftus, by whom he had three daughters — Mary, married

to Patrick Grant, of Eothiemurchus ; , married to

Eraser, of Belladrum; and Anne, married to William
Grant, of Dellay. (4) Alexander, married to Isobel
Nairn, daughter to Nairn, of Morenge, by whom he had
two daughters. (5) George, a major in the army, and
apjiointed by King Charles II. governor of Dumbarton
Castle ; he died a bachelor. (G) Robert, married a daugh-
ter of Dunbar, of Bcnnagefield, and by her had a son, the
father of Robert Oge, of Alilton of ]\lukcrach. (7) IMungo,
of whom are descended the Grants, of Tomdow, Knock-
ando, Kinchirdy, and Tullochgriban. (8) Thomas, of
Bellimacaan, in Urquhart, who married Mary, daughter
of Colin Campbell, of Clunies, son of Sir John Campbell,
of Calder, by whom he had Ludovick, of Achnastank, the
father of Captain Thomas Grant; Patrick Grant, of Cul-
vullin, the father of George C! rant, of Bellifurth; and a


daughter, married to Mungo Grant, of Mullochard. Sir
John's daughters were — (1) Mary, married in 1644 to
Lord Lewis Gordon, who, after the death of his father
and his elder brother, George Lord Gordon, who was
killed at the battle of Alford in 1G45, became Marquis of
Huntly, and was father by this lady of George, the first
Duke of Gordon; Lewis dying in 1653, she married the
Earl of Airly and lived to a great age, having died about
the year 1712. (2) Anne, married in 1640, to Kenneth
Mackenzie, of Gairloch. (3) Lillias, married to Sir John
Byres, of Cotts ; Sir John died at Edinburgh in 1637, and
was interred beside his father, John, of Freuchy, in the
Abbey Church of Holyrood House ; he was succeeded by
his eldest son,

XVIIL James, who became representative of the famil}^
in times of the greatest confusion and convulsions, both
in Church and State. In the summer after his father's
death, when the troubles began on account of imposing a
public Liturgy and Canons on the Church, it was not to
be expected Grant would be (as indeed few were) allowed
to stand neutral, accordingly he openly joined the Cove-
nanters in 1638 and 1639, and afterwards subscribed the
Solemn League and Covenant in 1643. He was at the
same time a steady Royalist, and much respected by his
Sovereign. In 1640, he married Mary Stewart, daughter
of James, Earl of Moray, by Ann, daughter of the Marquis
of Huntly. Of this marriage there were two sons and
three daughters that arrived at the years of maturity.
The eldest son, Ludovick, succeeded hini in the estate.
The second son, Patrick, founded the family of Easter
Elchies. Of the daughters, Mary was married to Ogilvie,
of Boyne; Margaret, to Sir Alexander Hamilton, of Haggs;
and Anne, to Roderick Mackenzie, of Redcastle. Had
the Laird of Grant lived in better times, he would have
made a brighter figure, as a man of solid judgment, a firm
friend, a true patriot, and a good economist ; but having
found the estate greatly burdened by his father's profu-
sion, he could not possibly avoid adding to its incum-
brances, owing to the troublesome times in which he
happened to live. He lived to see the restoration of
King Charles II., and was a Member of the Parliament
that met in January 1661. In the year 1663, he went to
Edinburgh to see justice done to his kinsman, Allan


Grant, of Tulloch, in a criminal prosecution for man-
slaughter ; and although he was successful in preserving
the life of his friend, he could not prolong his own. He
died there that year, and was buried in the Abbey Church
at Holyrood House.

XIX. Ludovick, his eldest son and successor, being a
minor at the time of his father's death, came under the
inspection of his uncle Colonel Patrick Grant, as tutor.
He was a Member of Parliament in 1690, and one of the
committee appointed by that Parliament to visit the uni-
versities, colleges, and schools, and to purge them of all
insufficient, immoral, and dislo3'al teachers. He was
likewise one of the Lords Commissioners for the jilanta-
tion of Kirks and valuation of Teinds (Acts Parliament
1690), and so zealous was he to have legal ministers
planted in his own estates, that he removed John Stewart
at Ci'omdale, Suene Grant at Duthil, and James Grant
at Abernethy, and shut up their churches in 1G90 or l(j91,
till ministers properly qualified for discharging the sacred
functions were found.

He was twice married ; first, to Janet Brodie, by whom
he had four sons and four daughters, who survived their
parents. The two elder, Alexander and James, came
successively to the estate, and represented the family.
The third son, George, entered the army, soon attained
the rank of major, and was appointed governor of Fort
George. Retiring afterwards he purchased the estate of
Culbin and Moy, and dying a bachelor, he left it to his
nephew, Sir Ludovick Grant, of Grant. The fourth son,
Lewis, a Colonel in the Army, was one of those brave
men sent to the West Indies in 1740, under the command
of Licutenant-General Cathcart, where next year lie un-
fortunately died of the disease of the climate. The
Estate of Dunphail, which he purchased before he set out
on that expedition, he also left to liis nephew, Sir Ludo-
vick Grant.

Elizabeth, the eldest daughter, was married to Hugh
Rose, Baron of Kilravock. Ann, the second, to Colonel
William Grant, of Ballindalloch. Janet, the third daugh-
ter, to Sir Roderick ^Mackenzie, of Scatwoll ; and Margaret,
the fourth, was married in 1717 to vSimon Lord Lovat.
Their mother died in 1(597, and some years after her
death, Ludovick married Jean Houston, daughter of Sir


John Houston, by whom he had no children. Dying in
1718, he was interred in the Abbey Church of Holyrood
House, and was succeeded by his eldest son, .

XX. Alexander Grant, of Grant, who had the command
of a regiment of foot, was governor of Sheerness, and rose
to the rank of Brigadier General. During the course of
the war in Queen Anne's reign, he served with the
greatest applause. He was the inseparable companion of
that great general and patriot, John, Duke of Argyle, and
shared the same fate with him both in the dangers of the
field and in the smiles and frowns of the Court. He was
one of the commissioners for settling the Articles of Union
of the two kingdoms, and a member of the first five
British Parliaments. In 1704 he was appointed Lord
Lieutenant and High Sherift' of the County of Inverness ;
and in 1715, by a new commission, he was appointed
Lord Lieutenant and High Sheriff" of Inverness and Banff*.
It may with justice be said that he was one of the first
rate men of his day in the nation. He was equally quali-
fied forthe Camp and the Court, and alike uncorrupted and
faithful in both. He married, first, Elizabeth Stewart,
eldest daughter of James Lord Down, son and apparent
heir of Alexander, 6th Earl of Moray; second Anne,
daughter of the Right Honourable John Smith, Speaker
of the House of Commons, and one of the maids of
honour to Queen Anne, but had uo surviving children by
either. He died at Edinburgh in 1719, and was interred
in the Abbey Church of Holyrood House. He was suc-
ceeded by his next brother,

XXI. James, the second son of Ludovick, Laird of
Grant. He having, by the indulgent care of his grand-
father, Alexander Brodie, of Lethen, been provided with an
independent fortune upon his coming of age, his inclination
led him to a country life, and in 1702 he married Ann
Colquhoun, daughter and heiress of Sir Humphry Colqu-
houn, of Luss, the chief of an honourable family of con-
siderable antiquity in the County of Lennox. In the
marriage articles it was provided that this James Grant,
of Pluscarden (the Estate of Pluscarden having been
delivered to him when purchased), should, as is usual in
such cases, assume the sirname of ColquJwun, and if he
should happen to succeed to the estate of Grant, that his
eldest son should bear the name of Grant, and his second


son the name of Colquhoun. Sir Humphry Colquhoun
resigned his patent of baronet and obtained a new one in
his own favour, whom failing to the said James his son-
in-law, whom failing to the heirs male of the body of the
said Anne Colquhoun his daughter, whom failing to the
heirs male whomsoever of the said Humphry himself,
upon whose death James Grant, of Pluscarden, his son-in-
law, entered upon the possession and assumed the title of
Liiss, together with the sirname and arms of that family,
and in virtue of the new patent was called Sir James
Colquhoun. His elder brother, brigadier Alexander Grant
dying, Sir James succeeded him, and resumed his paternal
sirname of Grant. He retained the baronetage, it being
vested in his person, and the estate of Luss went to his
second surviving son, according to the settlement in the
entail. He was several times a member of Parliament,
and was justly esteemed, respected, and honoured by all
ranks. To his. clan he was indulgent, if not to a fault,
and to his tenants always just and kind.

By his wife, Anne Colquhoun, he had five sons and five
daughters — (1) Humphry, who, at the age of 20, died a
bachelor in his fiithcr's lifetime. (2) Ludovick, afterwards
Sir Ludovick. (3) James, a major in the army, who, upon
his brother Ludovick becoming heir of the estate of Grant,
retired from the army, succeeded him in the estate of Luss,
and married Helen, sister to the Earl of Sutherland. (4)
Francis, a general in the army, married Miss Cox, and
left a numerous family. (5) Charles, an officer in the
Navy, was captain of a 74 gun ship, and was at the taking
of Manilla. — Of the daughters, Jean, the eldest, was mar-
ried in 1722, to William Lord Braco, was mother of the
late James, Earl of Fife, also of his brother Alexander,
who succeeded him, and grandmother of the present Earl
of Fife. Anne, the second, married in 1727 Sir Harry
Innes, of Innes, and was mother of the late, and grand-
mother of the present Duke of Roxliurgh. Sophia, the
third, died unmarried. Penuel, the fourth, married in
1739 Captain Alexander Grant, of Ballindalloch, the elder
brother of the late General James Grant. And Clemen-
tina, the fifth, was married to Sir William Dunbar, of
Durn, Bart. Sir James died at London in January 1747,
and was succeeded by his son,

XXn. Sir Ludovick Grant, of Grant, Bart., who after


a course of liberal education, to qualify him for the Bar,
was admitted Advocate in 1728. On the death, however,
of his elder brother, Humphry, he became heir apparent
of the family, and his father devolving upon him the
whole care and burden of the estate, he laid down the
practice of the law, and represented his father as chief of
the Clan. During the Rebellion in 1745 and 1746, he, as
all his ancestors had invariably done, stood firmly attached
to Protestant succession and the Revolution interest, and
accordingly raised a number of his clan and vassals, in
defence of his King and the established Constitution. He
was representative in Parliament for the County of Moray,
from the year 1741 till 1761, when his son Sir James was
elected in his stead. He married (1) Marion Dairy mple,
daughter of Sir Robert Dalrymple, of North Berwick, by
whom he had a daughter who died unmarried, aged about
19. He married secondly Lady Margaret Ogilvie, eldest
daughter of James, Earl of Findlater and Seafield, bj^
Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas, Earl of Kinnoul. By this
lady (who died in January 1757), he had one son, James
(born in May 1738), who succeeded him, and 11 daughters,
of whom 6 survived their father ; viz. — (1) Mariana, died
at Coulnakyle, 28th March, 1807. (2) Anne Hope, mar-
ried to Robert Dairy Waddilove, D.D., Dean of Ripon.
(3) Penuel, married to Henry Mackenzie, Esq. of the
Exchequer, author of " The Man of Feeling," &c., &c. (4)
Mary. (5) Helen, married to Sir Alexander Penrose
Cumming Gordon, of Altyre and Gordonstown, Baronet.
And (6) Elizabeth, died unmarried 27th March, 1804.

Sir Ludovick died at Castle Grant, the 18th March,
1773, and was interred at Duthil, the family burying-
place. He was succeeded by his son,

XXIII. Sir James Grant, of Grant, Baronet, who mar-
ried at Bath, in January 1763, Jane Duff, only child of
Alexander Duff, of Hatton, Esq., by Lady Anne Duff,
eldest daughter of William, first Earl of Fife. By this
lady he had 7 sons and 6 daughters, the survivors of
whom were 2 sons and 3 daughters, viz. — (1) Lewis Alex-
ander, afterwards Earl of Seafield. (2) Alexander, died at
Castle Grant, 21st March, 1772. (3) James Thomas, of
the Bengal Civil Service, died (Judge of Furrackabad) 18th
July, 1804. (4) Francis William, Colonel of the Inverness
Militia, M.P. for the Elgin District of Burghs in 1802, for


the Inverness District of Burghs in 1806-7, and for many
successive Parliaments for the County of Elgin ; after-
wards Earl of Seafield. (5) Robert Henry. (6) Alexander
Hope, died at Castle Grant, 1793. (7) Dundas Charles,
died at Castle Grant, 1788. First daughter, Anne Mar-
garet, a dignified personage who resided for many years at
Grant Lodge, Elgin. (2) Margaret, married at Edinburgh,
10th June, 1795, to Francis 8tewart,of Lesmurdie and New-
mills, afterwards ]\Iajor-General. (3) Jane. (4) Penuel.
(5) Christina Teresa, died at Elgin, IGth July, 1793. (G)
Mary Sophia, died at Castle Grant, 2Gth Feb., 1788.

At ditlerent periods Sir James represented the counties
of Moray and Banff in Parliament. In 1793 he levied
the first Regiment of Fencible Infantry, and in the year
following, the 97th Regiment of the Line. He was
general Cashier of Excise for Scotland, and Lord-Lieu-
tenant of the county of Inverness from the year 1794,
the time when that office was revived in Scotland, till
1809, when the infirm state of his health obliged him to
resign it to his Sovereign, who appointed his son to suc-
ceed him. This illustrious Chief died at Castle Grant,
on the ISth of February, 1811, ;ut. 73. His remains were
interred at Duthil. He was succeeded by his son,

XXIV. Sir Lewis Alexander Grant, who, on the death
at Dresden, in Saxony, oth Oct., 1811 (without issue), of
James, 7th Earl of Findlater, and 4th Earl of Seafield,
succeeded to the titles of Earl of Seafield, Viscount
Redhaven, and Baron Ogilvie, of Deskford and Cullen.
In 1822, George IV. was pleased to advance his Lordship's
brothers and sisters to the same rank as they would have
attained had their father lived to be the Earl of Seafield.
Sir Lewis Alexander died unmarried in 1840, and was
succeeded by his next surviving brother,

XXV. Francis William, Gth Earl of Seafield, born Oth
March, 1778. Marr., 1st, 20th May, 1811, Mary Anne, only
daughter of John Cliarles Dunn, of Higham House, and
by her, who died 27th Feb., 1,S40, had issue — (1) Francis
William, born 5th Oct., 1814, died unmarried, 11th March,
1840. (2) John Charles (present Earl). (3) James, born
27th Dec, 1817, three times married, and has issue, one
son surviving by each of his two first marriages. (4) Lewis
Alexander, born 18th Sep., 1820, married, and has issue.
(5) George Henry Essex, born 13th Feb., 1825, married.


and had two sons and two daughters. (6) Edward Alex-
ander, born 17th June, 1833, died 1844. Daughter, Jane,
married 20th July,1843,toMajor-General Edward Walker.
Forester Walker, C.B., died 16th Sep., 1861. He mar-
ried, 2ndly, 17th Aug., 1843, Louisa Emma, 2nd daughter
of the late Robert George Maunsell, of Limerick, without
issue. His Lordship died 30th July, 1853.

XXVI, Sir John Charles Grant Ogilvie succeeded his
father, as 7th Earl of Seafield, 1853; created a Peer of the
United Kingdom, by the title of Baron Strathspey, 14th
Aug., 1858. Married 12th Aug., 1850, the Hon. Caroline
Stuart, youngest daughter of Walter Robert, 11th Lord
Blantyre, and has Ian Charles (Viscount Redhaven), an
Officer in the 1st Life Guards, born at Edinburgh, 7th
Oct., 1851.

The armorial bearinc^s of Grant are quarterly quartered, first
and fourth grand, quarters quarterly. First and fourth,
Argent, a lion passant guardant Gules, crowned with an im-
perial crown Or; second and third Argent, a cross engrailed
Sable, for Ogilvie; second and third grand quarters Gules,
three antique crowns Or, for Grant. Above the shield is
placed an Earl's coronet, over which is an helmet befitting bis
Lordship's degree, mantling Gules, doubled Ermine, next to
which, above the achievement are two crests, that on the
dexter side being on a torse, Argent and Gules, a lion rampant
guar, of the second, holding in his paws a plummet, Or, and having
above it on an escrol Tout Jour ; and that on the sinister side
being upon a torse, Gules, and Or, a burning hill, Proper, having
upon an escrol above it, Oraig-Elachie. The shield is encircled
with an Orange Tawney ribbon, pendant, wlierefrom is the
badge of a Baronet of Nova Scotia ; and on a compartment
below the shield, whereon is the motto Stand Fast ; are placed
for supporters, on the dexter side a lion rampant guardant
Or, armed Gules, and on the sinister, a savage or naked man,
bearing upon his left shoulder a club. Proper, and wreathed
about the head and middle with laurel Vert.] {Ghranfs Ed.)

I now return to describe the Parish of Knock-
ando. In the noi-th-east end, next to Kothes, is
the barony of Easter Elchies, which has been the
heritage of a branch of the House of Grant for
above 150 years, and during six generations, but


sold as above-mentioned. It is accommodated
^'itli a good house, spacious inclosm-es, and much
barren wood near the river. Next u^) the river
is the barony of Wester Elchies. About the
year 1620 this was the heritage of Mr. Lachlan
Grant ; thereafter it came to Patrick, the first of
this family, whose son, James, was father of
Ludowick, who died 1757, father of James, then
a minor.

Farther up the river is Bellintom, the patri-
monial estate of (1) Archibald of Bellintom, whose
sons were, Archibald, John of Anmtullie, and
Alexander of Alachie. (2) Archibald was father
of (3) Sir Francis of Cullen, late Lord of Session,
created a Baronet anno 1705, and whose sons
are (4) Sir Archibald of Monimusk, who in 1758
purchased from Sir Ludowick Grant the freehold
of Bellintom and some superiorities, by which he
is a Baron in the coimty of Moray ; William of
Prestongrange, late Lord of Session and Justi-
ciaiy, and Mr. Francis. Next to Bellintom, up
the river, is the barony of Knockando, with a
good house of modern architecture on the bank
of the river. The first of this family was Mungo
of Kincherdie, whose eldest son James purchased
Knockando from Ludowick, Laird of Grant.
James was father of Ludowick, who died 1751,
and of Alexander Grant of Grantfield ; and Ludo-
wick was father of James, whose son Ludowick
is now living. And in tlie south-west end of the


parish is the barony of Kirdels, the freehold of
James Grant of Ballendaloch. All these baronies
within the shire of Moray are richly accomino-
dated with salmon fishing in the river and woods
on the banks of it.

[The mansion of Easter Elchies now belongs to the
Earl of Seafield. It is beautifully situated, elevated on
the left bank of the Spey, nearly opposite Aberlour, and
is three storeys high, with a slated turret and dome. Part
of the house is said to be contemporary with Lord Elchies.
It 1857 it was quite altered and almost rebuilt. Patrick
Grant, 2nd son of Duncan, the 15th Laird of Grant, was
the jpater familias of Easter Elchies. Patrick, Lord
Elchies, Judge of the Court of Session, came from his
loins, and took his title from this property. He died in
1754, and his son. Baron Grant, sold Easter Elchies to the
Earl of Findlater ; and, as stated, belongs now to the Earl
of Seafield. Adjacent is the sequestered churchyard, with
a fragment of the Church of Macallan, which was joined
to Knockando about the date of the old mansion.

Wester Elchies is a castellated building, standing upon
a picturesque elevation. Two chairs are in the hall
brought from the old Castle of Rothes. The chief attrac-
tion is an observatory — a white stone edifice, erected by
J. W. Grant after his return from 44 years' residence in
Bengal. Herein was placed a giant telescope, the trophy of
the great Exhibition of 1851. A sphinx is placed on
either side of the entrance, and above the doorway is
incised, "He made the stars also." Mr, Grant fetched
home several curious slabs, supposed to be portions of a
ruined Hindoo temple near Gour.

Robert Grant, son of Alexander Grant, died in the
house of Wester Elchies in 1803. His son Charles suc-
ceeded, who died in the Isle of Wight in 1828. The
above J. W. Grant heired the estate and died in 1865.
His eldest son, William Grant of Carron, succeeded, who
died in 18G5.

The present proprietor is Henry Alexander Grant,
youngest son of the above, by Margaret, daughter of the
Rev. Thomas Wilson of Gamrie, county of Banff; born


1827, succeeded his brother in 1877, married 1873 Mary
Jane, eldest daughter of William P. Jackson, resident
Magistrate at Natal, and has, with others, issue, James
William Hamilton, born 1876.

Knoekando House is beautifully and loftily situated on
the banks of the Spcy, surrounded by woods, on the
estate of Wester Elchics. It was built in 1732 — a plain
house of two store3's. The family arms, with the motto,
" Honour and Virtue," underneath which is the name of
the founder, " Lud. Grant," are cut on the pediment.

Remains of chapels and religious houses, and also of a
Druidical temple, are pointed out in the parish.

Sir Thomas Dick Lauder thus graphically describes the
Morayshire tlt)ods in this region in 1829 : — " The Knoek-
ando Burn, entering from the left, is extremely small ;
but it was swollen by the flood to a size equal to that of
the Spey in its ordinary state. The high promontory, on
the neck of which the manse of Knoekando stands, shoots
forwards towards the steep opposite banks of the burn,
interrupting the continuity of its haughs by a narrow
pass, leaving room onl}^ at the base of the precipice for
two cottages, a small garden, and a road. Whore the glen
opens, a little way above, there stood a carding mill, a
meal mill, and the houses of their occupants. Of the two
cottages at the bottom of the promontory, one was in-
habited by the old bellman, his wife, and daughter, and a
blind beggar-woman, who had that night sought quarters
with them ; the other was tenanted by a poor lame
woman, who kept a school for girls and young children.
After the flood the prospect here was melancholy — the
burn that formerly wound through the beautiful haugh
above the promontory had cut a channel as broad as that
of the Spey from one end of it to the other. The whole
wood w^as gone, the carding mill had disappeared, the
miller's house was in ruins, and the banks below^ were
strewed with pales, gates, bridges, rafts, engines, wool,
yarn, and half-woven webs, all utterly destroyed. A ncNv
road had recently been made, and all the burns were
substantially bridged; but with the exception of one
arch, all yielded to the pressure of the flood. Mr. Grant
of Wester Elchies' damage is estimated at £820. The
parish of Knoekando returned 12 cases of families rendered
destitute ]>y this calamity."] (En.)



[Situation, Soil, Climate. — The parish extends 15 miles
along the north side of the Spey, from Cromdale at the
west to the lower Craig Elaehy, which terminates the
district of Strathspey at the east, on the borders of the

Online LibraryLachlan ShawThe history of the province of Moray. Comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the county of Inverness and a portion of the county of Banff,--all called the province of Moray before there was a division into counties → online text (page 11 of 37)