Lawrence J. Gutter Collection of Chicagoana (Unive.

Illustrated souvenir of the Archdiocese of Chicago : commemorating the installation of the Most Reverend Archbishop George W. Mundelein, D.D., February 9, 1916 online

. (page 1 of 10)
Online LibraryLawrence J. Gutter Collection of Chicagoana (UniveIllustrated souvenir of the Archdiocese of Chicago : commemorating the installation of the Most Reverend Archbishop George W. Mundelein, D.D., February 9, 1916 → online text (page 1 of 10)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ILLUSTRATED SOUVENIR

of the

ARCHDIOCESE of CHICAGO



Commemorating the Installation of the
Most Reverend Archbishop George W. Mundelein, D. D.

February 9, 1916




R. H. FLEMING PUBLISHING COMPANY
CHICAGO



Resume of the History of the Archdiocese of Chicago



THE history of Catholicity and the
marvelous growth of the great North-
west have kept pace in the annals of
time. More than two centuries ago the re-
gion between the Mississippi and the Kas-
kaskia rivers was dotted with strong Cath-
olic settlements. The landing of Father
Marquette is an important landmark in the
affairs of the country of the Tllini. His
work among the Indians stands out pre-
eminent and is a glory to the Catholic
Church. The work of the various mission-
aries in the region of Chicago found its
highest culmination in the establishment of
the Diocese of Chicago.

At a meeting of the Provincial Council
in Baltimore in 1843 a decree for the for-
mation of a number of new sees was
passed ; that of Chicago being among those
considered. In February of the ensuing
year the Holy See acted upon this advice,
and the Eeverend William Quarter w r as
consecrated Bishop of Chicago on March
10, 1844, in St. Patrick's Cathedral, Xew
York.

The first Bishop of Chicago was born in
Killurrine, Kings County, Ireland, on Jan-
uary 21, 1806. On April 10, 1822, young
William Quarter left his native land to en-
counter the difficulties and hardships of
life in a new country. After his arrival in
America he entered the theological school
at Mount St. Mary's in Emmitsburg, Md.
His progress in study was remarkable, and
in September of the year 1829 he was or-
dained to the priesthood by a special dis-
pensation, as he was less than twenty-three
years of age. His first appointment was
as assistant to the pastor of St. Peter's
Church, New York.

On May 5, 1844, a memorable date to
the Catholics of Chicago, Bishop Quarter
became its first Bishop. St. Mary's
Church, which was to be the Cathedral,
was in an unfinished state, and on the
morning of his arrival the Bishop cele-
brated Mass in a frame structure in the
back of the episcopal residence on the cor-
ner of Wabash Avenue and Madison Street.
He found onlv two priests in the new dio-
cese. Father De St. Palais, a Frenchman,
and Father Fischer, a German, who were
ministering to the spiritual needs of the
people. One of the Bishop's first acts was



the founding of a college, which was des-
tined to become the seed from which
sprang the University of St. Mary of the
I <ake. Tn less than a month after his com-
ing Bishop Quarter was enabled to open
its doors with six students enrolled. The
first sacrament of confirmation in Chicago
was administered to 175 souls in the Ca-
thedral of St. Mary's by Bishop Quarter
on October 6, 1844.

Perceiving the necessity of finishing the
Cathedral the Bishop not only made ap-
peal to the Catholics of Chicago, but set
out on a mission to the East to accumulate
funds for that purpose. The first Sunday
in October witnessed the consecration of
St. Mary's Cathedral. At the earnest soli-
citation of his brother, the Reverend Fa-
ther Quarter, the Bishop gave consent for
the building of a church on the West Side,
which was being rapidly settled by a grow-
ing population. It was thus St. Patrick's
Church was founded.

The urgent demand for facilities for fur-
thering the educational interests for the
female youth of the diocese induced Bishop
Quarter to apply to Bishop O'Connor, of
Pittsburgh, for a branch of the Order of
Sisters of Mercy. His prayer was granted,
and soon the Sisters under Mother Mary
Agatha O'Brien were established in a new
field of usefulness.

For four years Bishop Quarter worked
with indefatigable zeal and dauntless
energy for the upbuilding of the new T dio-
cese, but on April 30, 1848, the young com-
munity was visited by an overwhelming
calamity in the death of its beloved leader.

Bishop Quarter was succeeded by the
Right Reverend James Oliver Van De
Velde, I). D., who ably supplemented the
efforts of his noble predecessor.

On April !>, 1795, James Van De Velde
was born in Belgium, near Termonde. A
French clergyman supervised his early in-
struction. Tn 1817 a renowned missionary
from Kentucky visited the various semi-
naries in Belgium, among others that of
Mechlin, where James Oliver Van de Velde
held a professorship. His purpose was to
arouse interest in the missionary work of
America. Young Van De Velde listened to
these enthusiastic accounts and offered his
services in behalf of his fellow beings on the



new continent. Feeling himself called to a
religious life, lie identified himself with the
Society of Jesus, and on September 25,
1X27, ho was ordained in the Cathedral at
Baltimore. For a period of four years he
was Chaplain to the Visitation Convent at
Georgetown. The Held of Father Van De
Velde's activity was transferred to the
West in 1831; he assumed the vice-presi-
dency of the University of St. Louis, and
in 1840 he became its president.

Upon the recommendation of the Bish-
ops of the United States, this highly es-
teemed and talented priest was appointed
to succeed Bishop Quarter in the adminis-
tration of the diocese of Chicago. On De-
cember 11, 1848, he received Episcopal con-
secration in the church of St. Francis
Xavier in St. Louis.

Among Bishop Van De Velde's first du-
ties were visitations to the different parts
of his diocese. In 1849 occurred the found-
ing of the first orphanage in the diocese;
here many destitute children were shel-
tered. The Sisters of Mercy took charge
of this institution.

Failing health caused Bishop Van De
Velde to tender his resignation as Bishop
of the See of Chicago to the Pope in 1852.
With much reluctance, His Holiness, the
Pope, relieved him from his strenuous du-
ties, and in September, 1853, apostolic let-
ters appointed him to the See of Natchez.
Bishop Van De Velde died November 13,
1 855.

Right Reverend A. 'Regan, D. D., was
the third Bishop of Chicago. The town of
Laralloc, County Mayo, Ireland, was his
birthplace. Young Anthony was of a gen-
tle and pious disposition and early entered
Maynooth College as an ecclesiastical stu-
dent. After the completion of his studies
he was ordained and his first Mass was
celebrated in the chapel of the College
where he had so conscientiously labored.

In 184!), when Archbishop Kenrick es-
tablished his theological seminary, he
wrote to Ireland for a priest who could
act as its superior with efficiency and abil-
ity. Father 'Regan was delegated to fill
this position of honor.

The important and rapidly developing
diocese had been left without a head by
the resignation of Bishop Van De Velde.
To find a priest who could sustain this im-
portant office with executive ability and



proficiency was a question which con-
fronted the Bishops of the province. All
united in the selection of Reverend An-
thony 'Regan. In spite of Father O 'Re-
gan's objections to this elevated and re-
sponsible position, the edict of the Holy
See had gone forth, and in a spirit of
obedience he accepted. Archbishop Ken-
rick performed the consecration on July
25, 1854.

The pages of history recount the won-
derful growth of Chicago from 1850 to
1860. Vast railroad enterprises had made
of it a commercial center.

At the instigation of Bishop 'Regan
the Jesuit Fathers were induced to estab-
lish a house in Chicago, which derived an
almost incalculable benefit from its intro-
duction into her midst. A fresh impetus
was given to religious activity. Holy Fam-
ily Church, St. Ignatius College, the Sa-
cred Heart Church, the Sacred Heart
Academy, St. Joseph's Home, and many
parish schools can trace their existence to
the influence of these tireless w r orkers.

Bishop O 'Regan passed away November
13, 1866, and his remains were carried to
his native parish in Ireland.

The bishopric of the diocese of Chicago
next passed into the hands of Right Rev-
erend James Duggan. Bishop Duggan was
a native of Maynooth, County Kildare, Ire-
land, where he was born May 22, 1825. He
received his early training in the Seminary
of Ballaghadareen. In 1842 Archbishop
Kenrick again asked for a talented young
priest for the diocese of St. Louis, and
James Duggan responded. Here he be-
came a student at St. Vincent's College,
Cape Girardeau. His first call was to the
Cathedral in St. Louis, where he gained
celebrity for his scholarly discourses. Up-
on the resignation of Bishop Van De
Velde," Father Duggan was sent to Chicago
to administer its affairs until a new Bishop
should be chosen. He remained in Chicago
until Bishop O 'Regan assumed the office
of Bishop, when Father Duggan returned
to St. Louis. The able fulfillment of his
duties induced Archbishop Kenrick to ask
for Father Duggan as his co-adjutor.
After his consecration in May, 1857, Bishop
Duggan rapidly assumed the lofty require-
ments of his office. At Bishop 'Regan's
departure for Rome to lay his resignation
before the Pope, Bishop Duggan was again




The Most Reverend Archbishop George W. Mundelein



sent to assume the responsibilities of the
Chicago Sec, and eventually he was offi-
cially installed at St. Mary's Cathedral by
apostolic letters from the Holy See.

Chicago had grown apace with the ad-
vancing years, and in 1857 its census
showed an increase of 33,000, making a to-
tal population of 93,000. About this time
;i yreat business depression occurred and
1:5,000 people left Chicago. Naturally the
church suffered and a most discouraging
prospect greeted Bishop Duggan upon his
entrance to his exalted office. However, the
cloud soon vanished and swarms of people
Hocked anew to this center and in a short
space of time 109,263 people claimed citi-
zenship in this vast community.

Bishop Duggan 's administration extend-
ed through the most precarious time of the
existence of the Union. Although in the
throes of a terrible civil w r ar, he guided
the helm of his ship with a masterly hand !
.Mas, in 1866 this brilliant intellect began
to show signs of weakening, and his with-
drawal from his office and his removal to
an asylum became a necessity.

The successor of Bishop Duggan was
Eight Reverend Thomas Foley, w T ho was
born in Baltimore on March 6, 1822. At
the age of ten Thomas Foley entered St.
Mary's College. He was appointed Co-ad-
jutor Bishop and Administrator of the
Diocese of Chicago and consecrated Bishop
in the Cathedral of Baltimore in 1869. On
March 10, 1870, he was installed in the
Church of the Holy Name, the pro-Cathe-
dral of Chicago. When Bishop Foley as-
sumed this new responsibility, he assidu-
ously devoted himself to the mastery of
every detail of his vast responsibility.
With wonderful diplomacy he set himself
to the task of rectifying the misunder-
standings which existed in the diocese at
that time and skillfully straightened out
the tangled skein.

Chicago had now grown to be one of the
largest commercial and mercantile centers,
her population had increased to 334,270 in
1871. Then came the great conflagration
of 1871 which brought dire disaster upon
this enterprising and intrepid community.
The shocking event caused consternation
throughout the civilized world. The labor
of years lay waste; schools, convents, asy-
lums and churches were demolished by
this insatiable foe.



In January, 1879, Bishop Foley was
called to Baltimore, where he contracted
a cold which developed into pneumonia,
and which resulted in his death on Feb-
ruary 19, 1879.

His death was a severe loss to the Dio-
cese at whose head he had stood for nine
years. At his demise the Diocese was in
a splendid financial condition, more than
200 churches with 350,000 communicants
belonged to its jurisdiction. Reverend Doc-
tor McMullen assumed the administrator-
ship of Chicago.

In September, 1880, a decree of the Holy
See elevated Chicago to the rank of an
archdiocese, and Bishop Feehan, of Nash-
ville was called to preside over its spiiitual
affairs.

Patrick Augustine Feehan was born Au-
gust 29, 1829, at Killinnall, Tipperary, Ire-
land. His early training was begun at
home; when sixteen years old he entered
Castle Kurck College as a student. In his
eighteenth year he was admitted to May-
nooth College and the next five years were
devoted to the study of philosophy and the-
ology, gaining such proficiency that he re-
ceived an appointment to Dunboyne. To
the worthy Archbishop of St. Louis we owe
another debt of gratitude for his judicious
selection of young Irish priests, for an-
other appeal from him brought to our
shores this young and talented seminarian.
In 1852, upon his arrival in America, he en-
tered the ecclesiastical seminary at Caron-
delet, to make further preparation for
his reception to the priestly calling. He
was ordained November 1, 1852, at twenty-
three years of age. After having taught
for a brief time Father Feehan was made
assistant to the pastor of St. John's Church
in St. Louis. A^ 7 ith great reluctance the
parishioners of St. John's saw the depar-
ture of this priest when he was sent to suc-
ceed Reverend Anthony 'Regan at the
theological seminary in Carondelet, where
he served as president for three years.
With his usual zeal he entered upon his
duties as pastor of St. Michael's Church,
St. Louis, in July, 1857.

In 1865 Father Feehan became Bishop
of Nashville. Here he found that debts
and demoralization loomed up on all sides,
for Nashville had been the very heart of
the late rebellion. With characteristic en-




HOLY NAME CATHEDRAL State and Superior Streets

Founded 1S74 by the Right Reverend Thomas Folry. D. I).. Fourth Bishop of Chicago
The present pastor is the Right Rev. Monsignor M. J. Fit/Simmons, Vicar General



ergy Bishop Feehan went to work to clear
the debris of the war and to solidify the
foundations of every Catholic institution
that had been devastated, and ere the lapse
of many months a marked change had
taken place in the Diocese of Nashville.

After Chicago had been made an arch-
diocese and Archbishop Feehan had been
named as its head, both clergy and laity
rejoiced that Bishop Foley's successor was
a priest of such strong personality and
executive ability. Amid impressive cere-
monies Archbishop Feehan was installed
in the Cathedral of the Holy Name, Sun-
day, November 28, 1880.

Although the efforts made by Bishop Fo-
ley to repair the loss the church had sus-
tained by the great fire were well-nigh su-
perhuman, there remained much to be done
upon the accession of Archbishop Feehan.

Archbishop Feehan devoted much time
and expended great thought upon the finan-
cial problems of his realm. Eleemosynary
institutions, homes for the aged, hospitals
for the sick, orphan and foundling asylums,
providence houses for young women were
all objects of his deepest consideration.
Unstintedly he aided them financially and
with his judicious advice. One of Arch-
bishop Feehan 's greatest foundations was
the establishment of the Industrial School
for Boys at Feehansville, on the Des
Plaines River.

The magnitude of the work done in the
Archdiocese of Chicago during the admin-
istration of Archbishop Feehan can scarce-
ly be computed. With marvelous and un-
diminished fervor he was ever on the alert
for the most minute interests of his people.
Most ably did he uphold and second the
efforts of every priest, every brotherhood,
and every sisterhood under his jurisdic-
tion. His gentle and loving disposition had
endeared him to all with whom he came in
contact, regardless of religious conviction,
and his scholarly attainments had called
forth the warmest admiration of all.

On July 12, 1902, the revered Archbishop
of Chicago entered into eternal rest.

The lamented Archbishop Feehan was
succeeded by the Most Reverend James Ed-
ward Quigley, 1). 1)., who was installed as
the second Archbishop of Chicago on Jan-
uary S, 1 )(K5.

Archbishop Quigley was born in Oshawa,
Ontario, Canada. October 15, 1854. At a
tender age he removed to Buffalo, N. Y.,



with his parents and at the college of the
Christian Brothers received his education.
He began his theological studies in New
York at the Seminary of Our Lady of
Angels, and for several years pursued his
studies at the University of Innsbruck,
Austria. Later he entered the College of
the Propaganda at Rome, and in 1879 re-
ceived the degree of doctor of theology,
summa cum laude. He received holy or-
ders and was ordained in the same year.
Upon his return to the United States, St.
Vincent's Church, in Attica, N. Y., was as-
signed to him. After devoting his services
to this congregation for several years, he
was made rector of St. Joseph's Cathedral,
Buffalo. At the death of Bishop Ryan of
Buffalo in 1896 this able young priest Avas
appointed as his successor. While Bishop
of this Diocese he filled his office with such
ability and distinction that when the Arch-
diocese of Chicago was left without a
spiritual head, he was selected by the Holy
See to fill this exalted position. For twelve
years Archbishop Quigley continued to ad-
minister the affairs of this Archdiocese
with the utmost wisdom and efficiency,
when, on July 10, 1915, he passed to his
everlasting reward.

He was a strong and able man, with tal-
ents which, had he chosen a secular instead
of a religious career, would undoubtedly
have won him the amplest material success.
His ability as an administrator is shown by
the growth in twelve years of the number
of churches in his diocese from 252 to 326,
of schools under his supervision from 166
to 256, and of children attending them from
about 67,000 to nearly 110,000.

Someone has truly said: "Archbishop
Quigley in more respects than one was a
great man, a providential ruler, a true ec-
clesiastic and an apostolic Bishop. Built
on princely lines without, he was a real
prince within. His soul was all

that a soul should be : wise in its goodness
and full of the sympathy caught from its
Creator. His range of vision, like his early
education, was Roman, and Rome still
stands for what is universal. He was the
Archbishop of Chicago, but an Archbishop
of the Church in America. He made his
influence felt without trying, or even think-
ing of it at all, and he made it felt on the
whole Church, the whole country and on
other countries."



10




Interior of Holy Name Cathedral



Installation of Archbishop Mundelein



T.IIK third Arclil)islio]) of Chicago, a
the eighth prelate to liold tlic reins of
the Catholic Church government in
this city, has now entered actively upon his
duties. The solemn installation of the Most
IJeverend (ieorge \V. Mundelein, 1). D., as
Archbishop of Chicago and his investiture,
by Most Reverend .John Bonzano, Arch-
bishop of Militene, and Apostolic Delegate
to the United States, with the Sacred Pal-
lium, the insignia of the Archiepiscopal
office, was among the most splendid and im-
posing religious ceremonies ever witnessed
in this country.

Chicago had lived in expectancy for
many months, waiting most anxiously for
the announcement of the will of the Holy
Father, Benedict XV, regarding the filling
of the vacant See of the nation's second
metropolis. It was late in November, to
be precise on Monday, the 29th, when word
reached Chicago that the successor of
Archbishop Quigley had been selected in
the person of the then Right Reverend
George AY. Mundelein, D. D., Auxiliary
Bishop of the Diocese of Brooklyn.

The message from the Apostolic Lega-
tion in Washington which told of Arch-
bishop Mundelein 's appointment was fol-
lowed almost immediately by lengthy tele-
grams from Brooklyn detailing the biog-
raphy and the achievements of Chicago's
new prelate. One of the first messages
from his former home said: "Chicago's
new prelate is the youngest Archbishop in
the United States." Such, indeed, is Arch-
bishop Mundelein, having been born only
forty-three years ago. The city of his birth
is the same as that which has benefited so
wonderfully by his labors in the past few
years. He comes from an old American
family of New York City, old and Ameri-
can because it bought those titles on the
battlefields of the Civil \Yar.

ARCHBISHOP'S CAREER

The date of Archbishop Mundelein's
birth was .July 2, 1872. He spent his youth
in Xew York, where he likewise received
his primary education. The first school he
attended was the parochial school of St.
Nicholas Parish. Later he attended an
academy of the Christian Brothers, the old
De La Salle Institute on Second Street,



i'rcm which he graduated in 1887. Next
he went to Manhattan College, which is
under the direction of the same teaching
brothers. Here he spent two years, after
which he commenced his theological studies
at St. Vincent's Seminary, Beatty, Penn-
sylvania. He spent three years in this in-
stitution, on the completion of which he
was sent by the present Bishop of Brook-
lyn, Right Reverend Charles E. McDonnell,
D. D., to the Urban College of the Propa-
ganda in Rome, where he completed his
theology, taking likewise a special course
in the Academy of Sacred Liturgy and ob-
taining a degree there in 1895.

ORDINATION

It was on June 8, 1895, that the young
clerical student completed his course and
was ordained to the priesthood. The ordi-
nation was performed by the Right Rev-
erend Bishop McDonnell of Brooklyn in
the chapel of the Sisters of the Holy Cross
in Rome. Archbishop Mundelein celebrated
his first mass on the following day in the
Crypt of St. Peter's. He was assisted by
the late Monsignor O'Connell, rector of St.
Mary Star of the Sea Church, Brooklyn,
and by the late Dr. Brophy, his companion
in the Propaganda.

His first appointment was as associate
secretary to Bishop McDonnell, and while
performing his duties he was at the same
time, for several months, pastor of the
Lithuanian church in the Williamsburg sec-
tion of Brooklyn. It was only two years
r.fter his ordination that his first important
office was given him. He was made chan-
cellor of the diocese of Brooklyn in De-
cember, 1897. For a period of twelve years
he filled the arduous and exacting duties
of this office, which he only vacated Sep-
tember 1, 1909, after his appointment, and
shortly before his consecration, as Bishop.

AYhile he filled the chancellorship of
Brooklyn Diocese, he began to be the re-
cipient of exceptional honors granted by
Rome in recognition of his learning. On
November 14, 1903, he was appointed by
the Cardinal Vicar of Rome as a censor of
the Liturgical Academy. This is one of the
Pontifical academies which grew out of the
notable movement in liturgical studies un-
der the great theologist and liturgist, Bene-




Cathedral Schools and Cathedral College



13



diet XIV, in the middle of the eighteenth
century. It was subsequently disbanded,
but was reorganized in 1840 under the di-
rection of the Lazarists and now holds fre-
quent conferences in which liturgical and
cognate subjects are treated from the his-
torical and practical point of view. Arch-
bishop Mundelein is likewise a member of
the Pontifical Academy of Arcadia, a
unique association of Catholic scholars
whose purpose is the production and pat-
ronage of what is finest and purest in lit-
erature. Archbishop Mundelein was elected
to this academy on April 20, 1907, and is
the only American with a membership in
the academy.

The first elevation of Archbishop Mun-
delein above the rank of the priesthood was
his appointment on November 21, 1906, as
a Domestic Prelate with the title of Mon-
signor, which honor was conferred on him
at the request of Bishop McDonnell.

In 1908 the degree of Doctor of Sacred
Theology was granted to Archbishop Mun-
delein by the Sacred Congregation of the
Propaganda. In 1909, on the 30th of June,
the new Archbishop of Chicago was made
Titular Bishop of Loryma and Auxiliary
Bishop of the diocese of Brooklyn.

The consecration of Archbishop Munde-
lein as Auxiliary Bishop of Brooklyn took
place on September 21, 1909, at St. James
Pro-Cathedral, Brooklyn. Since that clay
the history of Archbishop Mundelein is a
record of accomplishments. Two notably
successful undertakings are credited to his
efforts. The first is the building of the
Cathedral College of the Immaculate Con-
ception, of which he is rector-founder, and
where one hundred boys are being pre-
pared for the priesthood. But this is not
his only achievement. Another was the
building of the Cathedral Chapel, Queen of
All Saints, which was built under Arch-
bishop Mundelein 's supervision, and of


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Online LibraryLawrence J. Gutter Collection of Chicagoana (UniveIllustrated souvenir of the Archdiocese of Chicago : commemorating the installation of the Most Reverend Archbishop George W. Mundelein, D.D., February 9, 1916 → online text (page 1 of 10)