Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society.

Proceedings of the Leeds Philosophical and ..., Volume 7, Issues 3-4 online

. (page 1 of 23)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

digital copy of a book that was preserved for generations on library shelves before it was carefully scanned by Google as part of a project
to make the world's books discoverable online.

It has survived long enough for the copyright to expire and the book to enter the public domain. A public domain book is one that was never subject
to copyright or whose legal copyright term has expired. Whether a book is in the public domain may vary country to country. Public domain books
are our gateways to the past, representing a wealth of history, culture and knowledge that's often difficult to discover.

Marks, notations and other marginalia present in the original volume will appear in this file - a reminder of this book's long journey from the
publisher to a library and finally to you.

Usage guidelines

Google is proud to partner with libraries to digitize public domain materials and make them widely accessible. Public domain books belong to the
public and we are merely their custodians. Nevertheless, this work is expensive, so in order to keep providing this resource, we have taken steps to
prevent abuse by commercial parties, including placing technical restrictions on automated querying.

We also ask that you:

+ Make non-commercial use of the files We designed Google Book Search for use by individuals, and we request that you use these files for
personal, non-commercial purposes.

+ Refrain from automated querying Do not send automated queries of any sort to Google's system: If you are conducting research on machine
translation, optical character recognition or other areas where access to a large amount of text is helpful, please contact us. We encourage the
use of public domain materials for these purposes and may be able to help.

+ Maintain attribution The Google "watermark" you see on each file is essential for informing people about this project and helping them find
additional materials through Google Book Search. Please do not remove it.

+ Keep it legal Whatever your use, remember that you are responsible for ensuring that what you are doing is legal. Do not assume that just
because we believe a book is in the public domain for users in the United States, that the work is also in the public domain for users in other
countries. Whether a book is still in copyright varies from country to country, and we can't offer guidance on whether any specific use of
any specific book is allowed. Please do not assume that a book's appearance in Google Book Search means it can be used in any manner
anywhere in the world. Copyright infringement liability can be quite severe.

About Google Book Search

Google's mission is to organize the world's information and to make it universally accessible and useful. Google Book Search helps readers
discover the world's books while helping authors and publishers reach new audiences. You can search through the full text of this book on the web

at http : //books . google . com/|





Diglzed by VjOOQIC



Digitized by VjOOQIC



Digitized by VjOOQIC



Digitized by VjOOQIC



Digitized by VjOOQIC



PROCEEDINGS



OF TIIK



ESSEX INSTITUTE.



VOLUME III.



1860 to 1863.



SALEM:

PRINTED FOR THE INSTITUTE,

1864.



Digitized by CjOOQIC






Digitized by VjOOQIC



PROCEEDINGS



OP THE



ESSEX INSTITUTE.



Wednesday, May 9, 1860.

Annual Meeting this day at 3 o'clock, P.M., Vice Presi-
dent Rev. J. L. Russell in the chair.

Records of preceding annual meeting were read.

Donations, since the meeting of the 26th ult. were an-
nounced :

To the Library — from Thomas Pinnock ; Jonathan Per-
ley Jr.; Philadelphia Academy of Natural Science ; Charles
B. Richardson of New York ; Theron Mctcalf of Boston ;
James M. Caller ; Joseph Winn ; Hickling, Si^an & Brewer
of Boston ; N. J. Lord ; William Mack ; Mrs. 0. Parsons ;
Ezekiel Roberts ; Mrs. J. P. Andrew ; J. L. Sibley of Cam-
bridge ; Essex Agricultural Society ; Charles W. Upham ;
JHenry Wheatland. . .

To the Cabinets — from R. H. Wheatl^md ; C. H. Norris ;
Emery S. Johnson ; Mrs. J. P. Andrew ; Joshua Cleaves ;
.Jason Wilkins.

Letters were received from Alpheus Crosby, Cor. Sec'y of

ESSEX INST. PROCEED. VOL. ill. 1.



386178

, Digitized by VjOOQIC



"' '■' •• "' '' 2

Essex County Teachers' Association ; Trustees of Public
Library of Boston; E. Emmerton ; A. W. Dodge, Sec'y of
Essex Agricultural Society.

The Report of the Secretary was read and accepted.

The Report of the Treasurer was read and referred to the
Finance Committee.

The Reports of the several Curators were read and ac-
cepted.

These Reports present a careful review of the doings of

the Institute during the year. Though no striking event has

occurred, yet the increase of the Library, the addition of

specimens to the Cabinets and the general interest of the

public to promote the objects of our organization, indicate a

gradual and healthy growth.

A brief synopsis is herewith appended.

Since the last annual gathering nine of our members have

deceased — a larger number has occurred than that of any

. previous year ; no distinction has been made in respect to

age— the young just entering upon the active duties of life,

it^se in middle age, and those who, after many years of

tisefulness, have at length been gathered to their lathers.

. Istr-iEtev. GfABi»^£R Bbaman Perby, D.D., the venerable

^pastor of firoveiand. He was one of the first Vice Presi-

, 4wts of the Essex County Natural History Society, and, in

J^f^ early oi^anization of the Society, took a lively and deep

. interest in its success. It was^ at thai time, a day of small

' ftings, and he labored much to excite an interest in the

* fjl^y of ^ natural sciences and its kindred pursuits, agri-

'^i^uf^ and korticulture. AH institutions^ promotive of

these objects, received ialways his cordial aid and'jsupport.

He was bom at Norton in this State, 9th August, 1783, audi



Digitized by VjOOQIC



3

was the son of Nathan and Phabe (Braxnan) Perry. In
1800 lie beeame a member of Brown University ; at the end
of the second year went to Union College, Where he grad-
uated in 1804, and where he received the degree of D;D. in
1848. After teaching for some years, he was invited to lelr
tie over the chui*ch in East Bradford, now Groveland, and
was ordained 28th Sept. 1 814, and continued his pastoral
relation to the church until his decease, which took place on
ihe 2d of December, 1869. He married Istly, 22d May,
1816, Maria P. Chamberlain of Exeter N.H., 2dly Eunice
Tuttle of Acton, July 20, 1819, 3dly Sarah Brown of Graf-
ton, who survives him.

2. Rev. David Tenney Kimball of Ipswich, who delivered
a discourse occasioned by the death of Mr. Perry in Grove-
land on the 25th Dec. 1859, and who speaks well of him in
his various relations as a Christian Minister, pastor, friend,
Ac; was within a few weeks afterwards called to render the
final account of his stewardship, having served in the minis-
try of the church in Ipswich for more than half a century.
His connexion with the Institute was that of an honorary
member, in virtue of his relation to the Essex Historical
Society. He was born at Bradford, Mass., Nov. 23, 1782,
and was the son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Tenney) Kimball
of that place. At the age of seventeen he entered Harvard
College and graduated in 1803. He was ordained at Ips-
wich 8th October 1806, and continued his relation to that
xhurch and society until his decease, which took place on
Friday, 3d Feb. 1860, laboring with great diligence and
faithfulness. He was a man of great modesty and humility
and one whose memory will long be cherished with affec-
tion and respect. He married, Oct. 20, 1807 Dolly Varnum
Coburn, daughter of Capt. Peter and Elizabeth Coburu, of
Dracut, Mass. She survives him.

3. John Gillison Waters, son of Robert and Lydia
Waters, was born in Salem, 11th April, 1796. For many



Digitized by VjOOQIC



years he was in the Zanzibar trade, and was one of the
first to engage in it after it had been thrown open by
treaty with the Sultan of Muscat, under the direction of
President Jackson. He retired in 1842, and has since re-
sided in Salem. He was, at an early age, interested in the
Teligious movements of the times and was a *' lover of good
men," always ready to assist in undertakings of tliis
character with a liberal and free han<l.

4. Miss Elizabeth Amory ; daughter of Jonathan and
Mehitable Amory, of Boston. For several years she has
resided in Salem and taken a great interest in the doings
of the Institute. She died at Salem, 6th July 1859,
aged 63.

5. Jonathan Lovett Whipple ; son of Jonathan and
Mary (Cloutman) Whipple, was born at Salem April 19,
1824. He was educated at our schools and early indicated
a great taste for mechanical pursuits. For several years
past he has been engaged in the cleansing of Gum Copal, in
connection with his brothers. He was a man of integrity,
firm in purpose, warm-hearted and zealous in every good
work, and highly esteemed among his associates for his
amiability and gentleness of manners. He died on the 4th
of the present month, (May 1860.) He married September
18, 1855, Emma Noyes Dodge.

6. Charles Wentworth Upham, Jr., eldest son of Hon.
Charles W. and Sarah (Holmes) Upham, was born at Salem
29th August, 1830. After passing through our several
schools he entered Harvard College and graduated in 1852.
He pursued the usual course at the Law School in Cam-
bridge ; and spent the years 1855 and 1856 m travelling in
Europe. For the last two or three years he has resided in
Buflalo, N.Y., engaged in the practice of his profession,
where he was highly esteemed and gained the respect and
love of many friends by his pleasing manners, bright and
cheerful temperament and sprightly conversational powers.



Digitized by VjOOQIC



To the graceful qualities of mind were added an accuracy
and promptitude for business which could not fail .to have
met with success.

7. George Franklin Dodge ; son of George and Orra-
na (Hale) Dodge, was born in Salem, 9th May 1829, and
died in the place of his birth, 16th March 1850. He was
educated in the public schools of this city, commenced life
as a clerk, and step by step was advancei to posts of
responsibility and trust ; in all of which he possessed the

. unlimited confidence and respect of his employers. His
modesty and retiring disposition prevented him from being
widely known, but those who had the pleasure of his friend-
ship will duly appreciate his conscientiousness, integrity,,
obliging disposition, and gentle and refined manners.

8. George Washington Rider ; son of Joseph and Abi-
gail (Janes) Rider, was born at Salem, 6th March 1838. A
graduate of the English High School, a good scholar and
gave promise of usefulness in life. He died 24th Decem- ,
ber 1859.

9. Joseph Alonzo Potter, son of Joseph and Sarah.
(Crowninshield) Potter, was born at Salem, 29th Dec. 1837^
and died July 30, 1859. He was an invalid from early
youth, and consequently did not engage much in the active-
duties of boyhood, but was induced to lead the life of a re-
tired student. In 1856 he first played a game of chess, the?
study o( which became his delight and hobby. In January,.
1857, he received the Chess Monthly, when he dates his^
chess life ; and from that time to his death he was absorbed
in its history and science, whenever health would permit-
He composed problems, corresponded extensively with ches*
scholars — edited for eight months a chess column in th^
American Union, and during his chess life wrote or receivedl
over 1000 letters on the subject and left over 100 original
chess problems.



Digitized by VjOOQIC



6

Five numbers of the Historical Collections were issued
during the year 1859, and two numbers of the volume for
1860. They have been favorably received and the success
thus far warrants a continuance.

Six Field Meetings have been held, viz : at Wenham,
Middleton, Saugus, North Andover, Groveland, and Beverly.
They were well attended and awakened considerable inter-
est in the places visited ; — also eight evening meetings du-
ring the months of December, January, February, March
and April ; — the quarterly, and ordinary meetings occasion-
ally, for the transaction of the current business.

The following additions during the year may be specified.

To THE Library. Many of the additions are valuable,
and, with few exceptions, donations from the (Jeneral and
State Governments, societies or individuals.
The additions from all sources are as follows : —

Folios, 6

Quartos, 21

Newspapers bound, - - - 46
Octavos or lesser-fold - - - 395

468

Serials, - - - 1500
Pamphlets, - - - 1080 — -2580

3048
Also, several piles of newspapers more or less perfect.

The above have been contributed by one hundred and
fifty-six individuals, societies, <fec.

To THE Department op Natural History. Mammals.
Valuable additions, during the year, have been received.
The contributions of Dr. H. Neisler of Georgia, consisted



Digitized by VjOOQIC



of a goodly collection of the small quadrupeds of Greorgia —
and that of James Bartlett of Wenham, those in this vicini-
ty. W. A. Lander presented a specimen of Otisorex pla-
ijfrhinusy one of the smallest of our quadrupeds, and sel-
dom noticed.

Ornithology. Twenty contributors have made large addi-
tions. Progress has been made in the arrangement of the
collection ; the specimens are in good condition. The atten-
tion of the members and friends is called to that of the nest
and eggs — ^being deficient in several of the common species.
Herpetology. The curator reports a very gratifying in-
crease from thirty-six contributors, and that the collection
in regard to preservation is in the best possible condition ;
many of the wants in the species of the county have been,
through the kindness of friends, supplied, though we are far
from having all that is required to give us a complete his-
tory of the reptiles of the county.

' Ichthyology. The additions have been unprecedentedly
large and valuable ; the collection of American fishes hav-
ing been largely augmented by donations and exchanges,
while by means of the cans despatched to different foreign
countries through the kindness of our merchants and ship-
owners, the Foreign specimens have nearly doubled. We
are greatly indebted to those gentlemen who have kindly
consented to take or send them and hope during the year to
obtain still other opportunities. The specimens have all
been alcoholic with the exception of a sturgeon, Acipenser
pteyrinchusy weighing about 160 pounds, presented by C. K.
-^gte?5ens of Lawrence. The number of donors, thirty-one.
^:.,jriirtfcw/o<f5 and Radiates. Thirty-six contributors have
Oiiaaie valuable additions— these are principally, however,
-ofonfined tp the crustaqe^ and the radiata— this is owing, in a
iigmtjB0^vtre,to the aystem of sendmg cans and alcohol
>iitoft«gh the kindness of our merchants and seamen. The
-J ;!eoHftctioa i? reported to be i^



Digitized by VjOOQIC



MoUusca. The principal contribution was from S, H^
Phillips, who presented a very extensive and valuable coI«
lection of shells ; they occupy several drawers in the cabinet
awaiting for more extensive accommodations for a suitable
arrangement.

Comparative Anatomff, Contributors ; G. Upton, J. B.
King, S. Carlen, &c. Skeletons of several species of toads
and frogs, have been placed in the cabinets.

Mineralogy and Geology, Donors ; Edwin Upton, E. A.
Upton, B. E. Shaw, Miss Emily Gardner, B. W. Stone, G.
Upton, W. Briggs, B. P. Mudge, C. P. Williams, 0. C.
Jlarsh, W. Prescott.

The Historical Department. The curators, in their re-
port, congratulates the society on the increased interest and
on the additions during the past year. Articles of every
description, tending to illustrate the dress, customs, habits,
manner of living &c., of the diflFerent parts of the world —
particularly of both the East and West Coasts of Africa, India,
China, the Sandwich and Fejee Islands, have been received
from thirty-nine contributors. This collection Mr. H. P.
Shepard is now arranging in systematic manner in groups
according to their country, and as far^s possible in separate
cases, — a catalogue of this department is nearly completed.



Department of Horticulture. The Annual Exhibition
of Fruits and Flowers took place on Wednesday, Thursday
And Friday, September 18, 19, and 20, 1849. The weather
was very unpropitious — rainy and cloudy during nearly the
whole time of the continuance of the Show. Owing to pre-
vious storms our gardens were much injured, fruit blown
from the trees, &c. However, , under these discouraging
circumstances the exhibition was much more satisfactory
than was anticipated, and it was truly gratifying to witness
ihe general interest in the culture of fruits.



Digitized by VjOOQIC



• The following officers were elected for the year ensuing,
and uatil others shall be chosen in their stead, viz :

President — Daniel A. White.

Vice Presidents — John L. Russell, James Upton, H. M.
Brooks.

Secretary and Treasurer — Henry Wheatland.

Librarian — John H. Stone.

Cabinet JKeej^er^— Richard H. Wheatland.

Finance Committee — John 0. Lee, R. S. Rogers, George
D. Phippen, Henry M. Brooks, James Chamberlain.

Publication Committee — John L'. Russell, Henry Wheat-
land, George D. Phippen, Ira J. Patch, John H. Stone,
<3«orge M. Whipple.

Library Committee — Daniel A. White, David Roberts, S.
P. Fowler.

Curators of Natural History — In Botany — John L. Rus-
sell ; Mammalogy — F. Winsor.; Ornithology — ^F. W. Put-
nam; Herpetology and Ichthyology — R. H. Wheatland;
Articulata and Badiata — C. Cooke ; Mollusca and Paleon-
tology — H. P. King ; Comparative Anatomy-;— Henry Wheat-
land ; Geology — H. F. Shepard ; Mineralogy — D. M. Bsich*

Curators of History — Ethnology — Wm. S. Messervy, M.
A. Stickney, F, H. Lee ; Manuscripts — ^Henry M. Brooks,
Ira J. Patch, L. R. Stone, G. L. Streefcer, S. B. Buttrick ;
Fine Arts — ^F. Peabody, J. G. Waters.

Curators of Horticulture — ^Fruits and Vegetables — James
Upton, John M. Ives, J. F. Allen, R. S. Rogers, George B.
Loring, C. F. Putnam; Flowers — ^F. Putnam, W. Mack,
C. H. Norris ; Gardens — J. L. Russell, J. S. Cabot, J. Ber-
tram, B. A. West.

A Committee was appointed, consisting of Messrs. 0. ]J|[.
Tracy of Lynn, S. P. Fowler of Danvers, John M. Ives of

ESSEX INST, PROCEED. VOL. iii. 2.



Digitized by CjOOQIC



10

Salem, Benj. C. Putnam of Wenham, R. H. Wheatland and
C. H. Norris of Salem, and A. . W. Dodge of Hamilton, to
arrange for the Field Meetings the coming season.

A Committee was also appointed to arrange for Lectures the
ensuing winter, if expedient, also for the Evening Meetings.
Messrs. J. L. Russell, James Kimball, F. Peabody, G. D.
Phippen, and 0. M. Tracy were appointed on said Committee.

The consideration of the report of the Committee on the
authenticity of the tradition, "that the old buildings on the
estate of David Nichols, rear of Boston street, was built from
the frame of the first church ever -erected in Salem", pre-
sented at the meeting of the 26th ult., was resumed and after
some discussion, the following vote was adopted.

Votedy — That the Committee, who have had charge of
this matter, and who have so faithfully and carefully exam-
ined all the points of interest bearing on this subject, and '
liave prepared this able and interesting report, be further
instructed to take such action in relation thereto as they
may deem advisable ; — Provided^ that the funds for this pur-
pose be obtained by private subscription, or by such appro*
priation from the general income of* the Institute, as the
Stance Committee may direct.


Voted to adjourn.

Friday, Jme 9^, l%m.

FiELi) Meeting at Topspield. — ^The first of the series of
Field Meetings, held by the Institute, this season, took placo
as above. The appointment had been made for Wednesday^
the^th inst., but unfavorable weather compelled a post-
poneonient. The early train from Salem took up a party of
liberal dimensions, whetse easy, ^^ open order" stroll over the



Digitized by VjOOQIC



11

idllage giseeu gave it a look of as great activity, perhaps, as^
it has shown since the days of May Trainings; unless iq^
mxofd excepted cases, when the ^^ Cattle Show" may hav^
wakened the quiet spot to equal, and perhaps more enduring
animation.

Topsfield may stand as the central town of Essex county.
It is located on land nearly as high as any, and for irregu-
larity of boundary line, may f^^irly challenge any of Uie
neighboring townships. But these peculiarities are of small
Bftoment, compared with that, which gives Topsfield the
praise of rearing and preparing more schoolmasters than any
Cotter place, probably, in Eastern Massachusetts. Its small,
eqtiare, '' hip-roofed" Academy, occupying a pleasant little,
founded knoll, just at one side of the village, stands as tilio
monument of its own past usefulness, and an equal proof of
the continuance of that usefulness in the present. A greater
pride should this little structure be to Topsfield, than the
Aich of TituB or the Temple of Minerva, if either occupied
that little sunny knoll instead of it.

A dispersioQ of the company into parties sooa took place ;
09^ betaking themselves to the enjoyment of the fine views
to be observed from. the summits of '^ Great Hill," wd '' Town
Hill", over whose steep acclivities the unvarying* Newbury-
pCNTt Turnpike forces its toilsome and alinost dangerous way ;
and anoAer going into an examination of the somewhat
noted ^^ Treadwell Farm", not long since bequeathed to thQ
j^ssex Agricultural Society by its former proprietor. This
pafty was well entertained by the keeper, Mr. Brown, un«
^r whose care several interesting experiments are progiresd-
upkgi in regard to the comparative efficacy of different ma-
i^res. Here the Pasture Oak exists in fine condition, but
tiie visitors noticed with regret the recent felling of some of
these trees, and the thought natur^y arose,^ that little wa^



Digitized by VjOOQIC



12

done by cultivators to replace such losses, beautiful antf
Taluable as this Oak is known to be. Attention was, likewise, "
directed to two unusually large Locust trees, which had
remarkably escaped the borer, till, in the case of one, a cir-
cumference of ten feet had been attained, four feet above the-
ground.

A third division made a rather longer jaunt toward the
north, through fields and meadows and along the devious
country ways, at one time very near the line of Boxford, and
again, emerging on the bank of that very beautiful sheet of
water called Pritchard's Pond, the greater part of which is
included in Ipswich. This pond bears much resemblance
to that in Middleton ; but is less encompassed with woods ;
and having steep and elevated banks, is not, in the part
visited, certainly, as easy of access as the other.

The various detachments returned in the neighborhood of
noon and a general rendezvous was made at " Union Hall,"
in the basement of the Methodist Church, the use of which
had been kindly tendered for the occasion. Not long after-
ward, the meeting was called to order by Vice President
John L. Russell, and after the reading of the record the fol*
lowing donations were announced, received since the 9th ult.

To the Library — from Jonathan Perley ; Peabody Insti-
tute, South Dan vers ; James S. Bryant, of Hartford, Ot. i
George B. Loring ; Trustees of the New York State Library ;
Middlesex Mechanic Association, Lowell; Canadian Insti-
tute at Toronto, C. W. ; Henry F. Shepard ; John B. Alley,
M. C; John W. Archer, of Brighton, 111.; Philadelphia
Academy of Natural Science ; Boston Society of Natural
History ; J. I. Bowditch, of Boston ; San Francisco Mercan-
tile Library Association ; C. Benj. Richardson, of New York ;
B. W. Stone ; John C* Holmes, of Lansing, Mich.



Digitized by VjOOQIC



13

To the Cabinets — ^from E. Kirk Johnson of Nahant ; S.
P. Fowlerof Danrers ; Robert Brookhouse ; Jason Wilkins ;
James R. Phelps ; H. P. Shepard ; W. J. Chever ; Miss M.
G. Wheatland ; R. S. Rogers ; John Bertram ; Stephen
Upton ; George H. Hovey ; Miss Sarah Kimball ; — Prost of
Marblehead ; R. Wheatland ; Charles Davis of Beverly ;
John Washington ; William Shackleford ; Wm. Lefavor ;
Miss H. M. Jacobs of South Dan vers ; John P. Ropes ; James
D. McMurphy ; C. Cooke ; W. H. Hall ; G. P. Chever ; R.
Brookhouse, jr. ; Henry E. Jenks ; R. B. Porbcs of Boston ;


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23