Lehigh County Historical Society.

Proceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society online

. (page 2 of 32)
Online LibraryLehigh County Historical SocietyProceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society → online text (page 2 of 32)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


County, by James J. Hauser, Second Edition, 1902, 120 pages.



13

Gentleman's Magazine, London, England, one Vol., 1733. Doy-
lestown Democrat of Jan. 10, i860, containing part of the "His-
tory of the John Fries Rebellion," by W. H. H. Davis and Gov-
ernor Packer's message. Lehigh Valley Daily News of Nov. 13,
1873. Copies of the Emaus Weekly Star, Emaus Times, Emaus
Herald, National Educator, Allentown Morning Call and Spring-
town Times, containing articles on "Inscriptions of Emaus Mor-
avian Burying Ground," "Battle of Trenton," "Trip from Mertz-
town to Allentown," "Reminiscences of School Life," "The
Pennsylvania German," and "The Walking Purchase."

By Rev. J. D. Schindel, Executor of Estate of Jos. M. Eisen-
hart: Docket of George S. Eisenhart, Justice of the Peace in
Weisenburg Township, from 1827 to 1842. A- treatise on sur-
veying, by Robert Gibson, Philadelphia, 1803. Draft of a road
from Allentown to the Berks county line, surveyed by George
S. Eisenhart. A number of old surveys of land.

By Dr. W. H. ^Reed, Treasurer Montgomery County His-
torical Society: Lieut. Col. Jacob Reed, by W. H. Reed, Ph.
D., M. D., Norristown, 1905, 198 pages.

On motion of Rev. Cooper and Mr. Hauser, the Executive
Committee was instructed to procure a suitable place to store
the documents and archives of the society.

On motion of Messrs. Hauser and Miller a resolution was
adopted that a committee of three be appointed to collect mate-
rial for a complete history of the county by March, 191 2.

Mr. Alfred F. Berlin then read a paper on "A Bit of Lehigh
County Indian History," and Mr. Charles R. Roberts read a
paper entitled, "William Allen, the Founder of Allentown, and
his Descendants." Discussion followed and Rev. Cooper made
the suggestion that a movement be started looking toward the
purchase of the old Muhlenberg College building, "Trout Hall,"
by the society, restoring it to its original condition and mak-
ing it the permanent home of the society.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned.



MINUTES OF MAY MEETING, 1906.

A1.1.KNTOWN, Pa., May 12, 1906.

A regular meeting of the Lehigh County Historical Society
was held this afternoon in the rooms of the Allentown Oratorio
Society. The meeting was called to order by President Ettinger.
The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.

On motion of Messrs. Miller and Hauser, the following nine-
teen persons were elected members of the society: Alex S.
Shimer, Ethan Allen Weaver, Germantown, Pa., Mrs. Abraham
Samuels, M. P. Schantz, Frank W. Koch, Ira T. Erdman, A.
J. Ziegler, Horatio B. Koch, Rev. J. A. W. Haas, D. D., E. A.



14

Soleliac, Dr. Howard S. Seip, Frank D. Bittner, Thos. J. Koch,
Dr. H. A. Fehr, E. M. Young, Peter W. Leisenring, Miss Eliza
beth W. Bowen, Miss Evelyn C. Weinsheimer and Jesse R.
Brown.

The Executive Committee reported having secured space
for the storage of documents in the vault at Muhlenberg College.
Shelf room for books will also be granted if desired.

The following donations were acknowledged and a vote of
thanks passed to the donors :

By John W. Jordan, L.L. D., Librarian Historical Society
of Pennsylvania: Baron Stiegel and Old Manheim, by A. F.
Hostetter. The Survival of the Mediaeval Art of Illuminative
Writing among. Pennsylvania Germans, by Henry C. Mercer.
Norriton Presbyterian church, by Rev. Charles Collins. Lec-
ture on the Life and Times of Conrad Weiser, by Morton L.
Montgomery. Letters of Dr. Benjamin Franklin and his son
William Franklin to William Strahan.

By Thos. K. Home: Lehigh County 'German Imprints of
1835, 1849 and 1857. Allentown and Lehigh County Direc-
tory, 1898.

By James J. Hauser: Pamphlet of German Hymns, with
German and Hebrew title. Leyden, 1780. North American
Review, Vols. 11 and 12, 1821 and 1822. Liberty and Free
Inquiry, by J. H. Harvey, London, 1845. Benjamin Franklin
and the University of Pennsylvania. Fifteen pamphlet pub-
lications of the United States Bureau of Education on the His-
tory of Education.

The President announced the appointment of Messrs. Jas.
J. Hauser, Chas. R. Roberts and Rev. S. E. Ochsenford, as the
committee of three to collect material for a complete history
of the county, by March, 191 2.

Mr. Alfred F. Berlin then read a paper on "Notes on the
Lenni Lenape or Delaware Tribe of Indians."

Mr. Charles R. Roberts read a paper entitled, "Sketches
of Some Settlers in Lehigh County prior to 1750."

Interesting discussion followed, after which the meeting
adjourned.



MINUTES OF AUGUST MEETING, 1906.

Egypt, Pa., August 17, 1906.

A special meeting of the Lehigh County Historical Society
was held this afternoon at Egypt Church. On motion the read-
ing of the minutes was dispensed with.

The following persons were elected members of the society:
George R. Seifert, Philadelphia; George G. Blumer, Miss Emma
Deshler, and Rev. Jere. J. Schindel, Allentown; Thos. A. J.
Schadt, Cementon; Rev. Geo. P. Stem, Siegfried; Rev. F. J.
F. Schantz, Myerstown.



15

Announcement of the death at SaUsbury, England, of Frank
W. Koch, a member, was made.

A vote of thanks to the donors was passed for the following
donations :

By Ethan Allen Weaver, Secretary of the Pennsylvania
Society of Sons of the Revolution : Local Historical and Biograph-
ical Notes, collected by Ethan Allen Weaver, from files of news-
papers published in Easton, Pa., Germantown, Pa., 1906. (Only
30 copies issued, of which this is Number 8.)

By Wilson J. Hartzel, of Welt Bote Publishing Company:
Skizzenaus dem Lecha Thale, Allentown, 1886.

By Alfred F. Berlin: Haida Texts and Myths, 1905.

By A. P. Zellner and A. P. Bachman, Trustees: Plan of
the Old Allentown Cemetery, with each grave marked and dates
and names given.

By Thomas h. Montgomery, State Librarian: Report of
the State Librarian for 1904.

By Hon. M. C. L. Kline: Papers of Benjamin FrankUn.

The Secretary reported the following acquisitions:

BY EXCHANGE.

Chester County Historical Society: Bulletins of the Society,
1 899- 1 900, and 1 902- 1 903. Lafayette at Brandywine, 1895.

Lancaster County Historical Society: Papers read before
the Society, six numbers, January to June, 1906.

Library of Congress: A List of Works relating to the Ger-
mans in the United States, Washington, D. C, 1904. Papers
of James Monroe, 1904.

Pennsylvania Society of New York: Year Book, 1906.

Wyoming Historical and Geological Society: The Early
Grist Mills of Wyoming Valley, by Chas. Abbot Miner, Wilkes-
Barre, 1900. A Day at Asylum, by Rev. David Croft, D. D.,
1902.

Berks County Historical Society: Transactions of the His-
torical Society of Berks County, Vol. 2, No. i, Reading, 1906.

BY PURCHASE.

History of Northampton, Lehigh, Monroe, Carbon and Schuyl-
kill Counties, by I. Daniel Rupp, Harrisburg, 1845. Manners
of the German Inhabitants of Pennsylvania, written by Benj.
Rush, M. D., in 1789. Notes by I. D. Rupp, Philadelphia, 1875.
Forty bound volumes of Harpers Magazine, 1855 to 1880. Two
German Imprints of Lehigh County, Geistliche Harfe. North-
ampton, 1834, and Ein Fundament und Klare Anweisung, Allen-
town, 1849.

An order was directed to be drawn in favor of the Call Pub-
lishing Company for printing the first number of the publica-
tions of the society, to the amount of $32.00. Bills amount-
ing to $11.14 were ordered paid.



i6

The following papers were then read: History of the Luth-
eran Congregation of Egypt Church, by Rev. J. D. Schindel,
D. D. History of the Reformed Congregation of Egypt Church,
by Charles R. Roberts. The Hampton Furnace, by Henry A.
Schuler.

The meeting then adjourned.

After the meeting a number of members visited Kohler's
Mill and Fort Deshler.

Among those present at the meeting were the following:
Rev. Dr. F. J. F. Schantz, Dr. L. B. Balliet, Rev. Dr. C. J. Cooper,
Rev. Dr. J. D. Schindel, Rev. J. J. Schindel, Rev. and Mrs. J.
W. Mattern, Rev. Geo. P. Stem, Rev. Thos. H. Krick, Prof. Geo.
T. Ettinger, Chas. R. Roberts, Henry A. Schuler, Henry S.
Moyer, Miss Emma Deshler, Mrs. Sarah C. Springer, Miss Mary
Springer, P. Frank Brown, Mrs. J. F. Pollock, Thos. A. J. Schadt,
Henry A. Kline, W. L. Blackman and James J. Hauser.

CharIvEs R. Roberts,

Secretary.

MINUTES OF OCTOBER MEETING, 1906.

AivLENTowN, Pa., October 12, 1906.

A regular meeting of the Lehigh County Historical Society
was held on Friday, October 12, 1906, at No. 37 South Seventh
Street.

The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.

Mr. Lewis L. Anewalt was elected to membership, and John
W. Jordan, LL. D., Librarian of the Historical Society of Penn-
sylvania, Luther R. Kelker, Custodian of the Public Records,
Harrisburg, Pa., and Benjamin F. Trexler, of Allentown, Pa.,
were elected honorary members.

Announcement was made of the death of two members,
Mr. Alexander S. Shimer and Mr. Henry A. Kline.

A vote of thanks was passed to the donors of the following
articles: A picture of the old Deshler Mill on the Little Lehigh,
by E. F. Kunkle. Memories of Rev. Joshua Yeager, by Rev.
A. R. Home, D. D., presented by his son, Thos. K. Home. A
number of volumes of educational reports, presented by James
J. Hauser.

On motion,, it was resolved that the Secretary procure a
full set of the Pennsylvania German Magazine, from July, 1900,
to October, 1905, 22 numbers.

Rev. Dr. F. J. F. Schantz then read a very interesting paper
entitled, "Allentown and its Vicinity about Sixty Years Ago,"
which was listened to by the largest attended meeting the society
has yet had. The meeting then adjourned.

Charles R. Roberts,

Secretary.



17

MINUTES OF SECOND ANNUAL MEETING,

Ali^Entown, Pa., January 12, 1907.
The second annual meeting of the Lehigh County Histor-
ical Society was held this afternoon at No. 37 South Seventh
Street. The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.
The following persons were elected members of the society: R.
S. Brown, Geo. H. Berkemeyer, Eugene T. Quinn, L. J. H. Gros-
sart, Reuben J. Butz, Dr. F. J. Slough, Miss Katie Faust, Macun-
gie, Harvey Walbert, Trexlertown, F. M. Berkemeyer and Rev.
J. A. Scheffer. Hon. H. S. Funk, of Springtown, Pa., was elected
an honorary member.

On motion the Executive Committee was empowered to
receive names and to enroll them as members before the next
meeting. The election of officers followed. George T. Ettinger
was nominated for President, David McKenna for Vice-Pres-
ident, Chas. R. Roberts for Secretary and Leo Wise for Treas-
urer. All were then elected. The election of five members of
the Executive Committee resulted as follows: Hon. F. M. Trex-
ler. Rev. S. E. Ochsenford, D. D. and Rev. C. J. Cooper, D. D.,
for two years; and O. P. Knauss and David A. Miller for one year.
A communication was read from the Historical Society of
Schuylkill County, relative to the marking of the sites of old
forts. A motion was agreed to that this society endorse the
action of the Schuylkill County Society. Dr. John W. Jordan
was then called upon to explain the aims and objects of the
Pennsylvania Federation of Historical Societies.

The Committee on History made tjie following recommen-
dation: "That efforts be made to secure competent persons for
each township to work up the historical material of such town-
ship, to be presented in the shape of papers, which are to be the
property of the society. The general plan of a history of the
county to be followed is: A history of the county in its relation
to the state, topically arranged, as the Editorial Committee shall
in its judgment decide, to be followed by the history of Allen-
town and the several townships."

Charles R. Roberts,
Rev. S. E. Ochsenford,
James J. Hauser,
Geo. T. Ettinger,
December i, 1906. Committee on History.

Messrs. Berlin and Ochsenford moved to discharge the com-
mittee and refer the appointment of the Editorial Committee to
the Executive Committee. Adopted.

On motion of Rev. Scheffer the motion to discharge was
reconsidered.

A motion was then adopted to refer the appointment of the
Editorial Committee to the Executive Committee.



i8

The Secretary's report was then read and directed to be
spread on the minutes.

Secretary's Report,
receipts.

Dues from 67 members, $2.00 each $ 134 00

Two Vols, of publications sold i 00

Total $ 135 00

EXPENDITURES.

Paid as previously reported $ 25 53

H. H. Knerr, printing 8 35

Call Publishing Company, printing 32 00

Books purchased 5 75

Stamped wrappers 2 14

Janitor's services i 00

Fee, Federation of Historical Societies, 1906 i 00

H. H. Knerr, printing i 25

Total $ 77 02

Balance on hand $ 57 98

A vote of thanks was passed to the donors of the following
books and articles:

Benj. F. Trexler: A View of Bethlehem in 1757.

Dr. John W. Jordan: A large number of pamphlets.

Pennsylvania State Library: Fifth Series of Pennsylvania
Archives.

Thos. K. Home: An Imprint of 1829.

James J. Hauser: U. S. Geological Survey Reports, 1902,
1903 and 1905. Allentown Directory, 1902.

The following papers were then read: "Some Indian His-
tory of the Lehigh Valley," by John W. Jordan, LL.D. "Revo-
lutionary Patriots of Allentown and Vicinity," by Chas. R.
Roberts.

A vote of thanks was passed to the readers of the above
papers. The meeting then adjourned.

Charles R. Roberts,

Secretary.

MINUTES OF MAY MEETING, 1907.

Allentown, Pa., May ii, 1907.

A regular meeting of the Lehigh County Historical Society
was held this afternoon at No. 37 South Seventh Street.

The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.

The following persons were elected members of the society:
Claude T. Reno, George F. Knerr, Chas. O. Hunsicker, Henry
E. Peters, Martin Klingler, Hon. Harry G. Stiles, Oliver A. lobst,



19

and R. W. lobst, of Emaus. On motion of Messrs. Hauser and
Ochsenford, Mr. Howard W. Kriebel, of East Greenville, was
elected an honorary member.

Announcement was made of the death of two members,
Rev. F. J. F. Schantz, D. D., and Mrs. Matilda G. Iredell.

The following donations were acknowledged and a vote of
thanks passed to the donors: A View of AUentown in 1853,
and a Map of AUentown in 1850, by Rogerson, by Mr. V. E.
Erdley. Proceedings of the Pennsylvania Society of New York,
of the Tioga County Historical Society, and six volumes of the
Schuylkill County Historical Society publications;

The report of the Committee on Outline for Township His-
tories was adopted.

On motion of Messrs. Hauser and Schuler, the question of
holding a summer meeting was left to the Executive Committee.

The President announced the appointment of a Committee
on Collecting Historical Material. Messrs. Wm. L. Hartman,
P. W. Flores, J. J. Hauser, A. F. Berlin, Rev. J. D. Schindel,
E. H. Reninger, and Rev. Thomas H. Krick.

Mr. Wm. L. Hartman then read a paper on "The Mayors
of AUentown," and Mr. Chas. R. Roberts spoke on the organi-
zation and early settlement of Whitehall township. The meet-
ing then adjourned.

Charles R. Roberts,

Secretary.

MINUTES OF AUGUST MEETING, 1907.

Emaus, Pa., August 10, 1907.

A special meeting of the Lehigh County Historical Society
was held this afternoon in the Moravian chapel at Emaus.

The society was welcomed by Mr. Robert Stansfield and
President Ettmger responded.

The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.

The following persons were elected members of the society:
Miss Minnie F. Mickley, Ralph R. Metzger, Mrs. H. M. Chance,
Miss C. Rosa Troxell, James A. Miller, A. R. Weaver, Rev. Simon
Sipple, Alfred G. Saeger, Mrs. Alfred G. Saeger, Henry L. School,
and Mrs. Joseph P. Mickley.

The following donations were acknowledged and the donors
given a vote of thanks:

From Pennsylvania State Library : History of the Fifteenth
Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, History of the Seventh Penn-
sylvania Veteran Volunteer Cavalry and Report of the State
Librarian for 1905.

From Miss Minnie F. Mickley: Genealogy of the Mickley
Family, 1893. Washington's Farewell Address, in German, Har-
risburg, 1836.



20

From John W. Jordan, LL. D. : Report of the Valley Forge
Park Commission, 1906.

From R. W. lobst: Municipal Book of Emaus, 1906.

From James J. Hauser: Report of the Adjutant General of
Pennsylvania, 1863. Pennsylvania Agricultural Department
Reports, 1870 and 1871.

A vote of thanks was passed to Leo Wise, Esq., Treasurer,
for his services in securing a charter for the society and to the
Daily City Item, Morning Call; Democrat and Law Journal for
printing the application for a charter without charge.

A paper was read by Chas. R. Roberts containing sketches
of early settlers in Emaus and vicinity, and Rev. Allen F. Abel
read an interesting history of the Moravian congregation at Emaus.

The meeting then adjourned.

Charles R. Roberts,

Secretary

MINUTES OF OCTOBER MEETING, 1907.

AllEntown, Pa., October 19, 1907.

A regular meeting of the Lehigh County Historical Society
was held this afternoon at No. 37 South Seventh Street.

The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.

The following persons were elected members of the society:
Dr. Edgar Dubbs Shimer, of Jamaica, N. Y. , Hon. C. D. Schaeffer,
Mrs. Alexander S. Shimer, Rev. H. H. Romig, Hon. W. N. Decker,
of Macungie, Mrs. Harvey G. Harlacher and Prof. John I. Romig.

The Secretary reported the receipt of the charter of the
society and also the award by the Executive Committee of the
contract for printing the proceedings of the society to Berkemeyer,
Keck & Company.

Donations were acknowledged as follows:

By Frank R. Wolle: Rural Free Delivery Directory of
Lehigh County.

By the Lancaster County Historical Society: Vol. 11, No.
7, of Proceedings of the society.

On motion the Executive Committee were given authority
to make all arrangements for a larger meeting of the society in
January.

On motion of Messrs. Hauser and Hartman, the society
decided to subscribe for the Pennsylvania German Magazine from
the last number purchased to the present time.

Mr. A. F. Berlin being unable to be present, a comprehen-
sive paper written by him on "The Indians of Lehigh County
and their Implements," was read by Mr. P. W. Leisenring. A
vote of thanks to Mr. Berlin and Mr. Leisenring was then passed.

The meeting then adjourned.

Charles R. Roberts,

Secretary.




Reproduction of Portrait of Wm. Allen from original in Independence Hall, Philadelphia.
Pa. and facsimile of signature.



22



William Allen, the Founder of Allentown,
and His Descendants.

By Charles Rhoads Roberts.

Secretary Lehigh County Historical Society; Member of Pennsylvama
German Society; Pennsylvania Society oj Sons of the Revolution;
Bucks County Historical Society.

William Allen, the founder of Allentown, was born in
Philadelphia, August 5, 1704. He was the son of WiUiam Allen,
a merchant of Philadelphia, who died in Philadelphia, August
30, 1725, aged 55 years, and who was a native of Ireland, as
he mentions in his will his sister, Catharine Cally, living at Dun-
gannon, Ireland, and his uncle, William Craige, of the same
place. The grandfather of the subject of this sketch was John
Allen, of Dungannon, Ireland, who was married to a sister of
William Craige, and who fled from Stirlingshire, Scotland, to
escape the persecution of the Presbyterians by James I, of Scot-
land. William Allen, the elder, married about 1700, Mary, daugh-
ter of Thomas and Susanna Budd, a sister of Rose Budd, whose
daughter, Sarah Plumley, married Edward Shippen, of Lan-
caster. Mrs. Allen was born in Burlington, April 7, 1679, and
died in Philadelphia, April 20, 1760.

Wilham Allen, the elder's will, dated July 3, 1725, and pro-
bated September 13, 1725, mentions only two children, although
he had three other sons, John, Thomas and James. The eldest
surviving son, John, died, it seems, soon after his father and
without issue, his mother not mentioning him in her will, but
leaving everything to her son William except a few legacies to
collateral relations.

William Allen was baptized August 17, 1704, in the First
Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. He was married in Christ
Church, February 16, 1733 (old style), to Margaret Hamilton,
daughter of Andrew Hamilton, Provincial Councillor and Lieu
tenant Governor under William Penn, and sister of James Ham
ilton, also Lieutenant Governor. Mrs. Allen was born in 1709
and died in Philadelphia, May 13, 1760.

The positions which William Allen obtained at a time when
lawyers had become numerous in the colony should only have
been given to men of legal education. That he received this,



23

has been conjectured from the direction in his father's will that
five hundred pounds sterling be remitted to him in London for
his expenses there. He was then twenty-one, perhaps study-
ing law at the Temple. Judge Huston in his work on Land
Titles, speaking of Penn's mortgage of the Province to Gould-
ney for ^6600, of which a deed of April 30, 1724, recites that
one-fourth then remained unpaid, tells on page 231, "I have
heard more than once, many years ago, that William Allen, a
distinguished barrister in London and afterwards Chief Justice
of Pennsylvania, had furnished money which finally paid off
this mortgage, and the books of the Land office show many grants
of large tracts of land to him between the years 1733 and 1740."
Allen never practised law for any length of time, but returning
to America before September 21, 1726, the date of the merchants'"
and chief citizens' agreement to take the monev of the Lower
counties at their face value, to which his signature appears; he
engaged in trade.

On October 3, 1727, he was elected a Common Councilman
of Philadelphia, but whether then in the city or not, did
not attend until May 16, 1728, the third meeting afterward.
In 1 73 1, he became a member of the Assembly, serving until
1739. In 1732 he was Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of
Free and Accepted Masons of Pennsylvania. In October, 1735^
he was chosen Mayor of Philadelphia, and at the end of his, term,
the Hall of Assembly, just finished, was opened with the col-
lation customary from an outgoing Mayor.

The Pennsylvania Gazette of September 30, 1736, says:
"Thursday last, WiUiam Allen, Esq., Mayor of this city for the
year past, made a Feast for his citizens at the State house, to
which all the Strangers in town of note were also invited. Those
who are Judges of such things say that considering the Delicacy
of the Viands, and the Excellency of the Wines, the great Num-
ber of Guests, and yet the Easiness and Order with which the
whole was conducted, it was the most grand and the most ele-
gant entertainment that has been made in these Parts of America."

With Andrew Hamilton, he purchased the ground where
the old state house is located, and held it until the province was
able to reimburse him. The state house having been erected
at the charge of the province, but the estate and inheritance
in the land yet remaining in Hamilton and Allen, by Act of the
General Assembly, passed February 20, 1735, they were required
to convey to John Kinsey, of Philadelphia, Joseph Kirkbridge,
Jr., of Bucks county, Caleb Cow^pland, of Chester county, and
Thomas Edwards, of Lancaster county, as Trustees of the Free-
men of the Province, their estate in the land.

In business, Allen was the partner of Joseph Turner, the
Councillor, and the profits from commercial enterprise, with the
money which Allen and his wife inherited and the advance in



24

value of land in which he had invested, made him at the death
of his father-in-law, one of the rich men, and in after years, not-
withstanding his charities, perhaps the richest man in Pennsyl-
vania. He left the Assembly in 1739, thinking with Hamilton,
that no important questions were likely soon to present them-
selves.

Allen often acted as Judge of the Orphans' Court and Com-
mon Pleas, and continued in the important judicial office of
Recorder of the city until October 2, 1750, when having been
appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the province,
he resigned the Recordership as incompatible with his new
duties. He was the only Chief Justice before the Revolution
who was a native of Pennsylvania. For nearly a quarter of a
century he presided over the Court says Edward F. DeLancey,
in his sketch (Penna. Mag. Vol. i, p. 202), "with a dignity,
learning and impartiality and intellectual force, equalled by few
and exceeded by none of those great jurists, who have ever
adorned the ermine of Pennsylvania and made immortal the
renown of her supreme judiciary. In the Supreme Court
Chamber is now preserved with care, the very bench upon which



Online LibraryLehigh County Historical SocietyProceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society → online text (page 2 of 32)