Lehigh County Historical Society.

Proceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society online

. (page 30 of 32)
Online LibraryLehigh County Historical SocietyProceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society → online text (page 30 of 32)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


A committee was appointed to canvass the congregation for
funds to repair or to build a new church. The committee con-
sisted of Revs. W. F. Schoener, N. Z. Snyder, Percival Hausman,
Thomas Scholl, George Scholl and John Mohn. Four weeks later
this committee reported that the sentiment of the people was
against a new church, and that $252 had been subscribed for
repairs that were estimated to cost from $250 to $300. The
committee was empowered to proceed with the repairs. The
congregations decided to place a steeple on the church, and to
move the choir to the side of the chancel. As more funds were
needed to make these improvements, a committee of four ladies
was appointed for this purpose, viz., Mrs. Matilda Scholl, Mrs.
Edwin Buchecker, Mrs. Eusyllas Larash and Mrs. Walter Ueberroth.

The cost of repairs and improvements were $854.33. The
church was reopened with appropriate services, August 28th.
The Lutheran pastor was prevented from being present on account
of sickness. Dr. Wackernagel and Rev. James F. Lambert
officiated, on the Lutheran side; but who assisted Dr. Snyder we
have been unable to ascertain from any of the records.

Organists.
In looking over the records, as far as they were accessible
to us, we find the following persons have served the congregations
since 1848 in the capacity either of chorister or organist:




Rnv. D. F. Brendle, D. D.
(1866-1872.)




Rev. N. Z. Snyder, D. D.
(1872-1907.)



93

In 1853, August F. Halbach served in this capacity; in 1854,
John F. Halbach; in 1855, Edwin A. Mininger; 1866, Benjamin
Wagner, who served until 1868, when we find the name of Ada-
man G. Schmidt, who now resides in Philadelphia; in 1873,
William Wieand ; in 1874, Thomas O. Cope; from 1880 until 1906,
J. Fred Pflueger. Mr. Pflueger being also organist at the Lower
Saucon Church when the writer was pastor there from 1871 to.
1 88 1, we take pleasure in bearing testimony to his skill and
efficiency as organist and choir master.

Since January, 1906, Mr. Milton J. Weiser has served very
acceptably. For many years the melodeon and small organ served
the congregation in leading the music, but since Mr. Weiser has
been organist a new and superior instrument has been installed
at a cost of $264. This instrument was dedicated January 27,
1907, when the pastors. Revs. H. A. Kunkle and N. Z. Snyder,
D. D., were assisted by Revs. J. Stump, W. D. C. Keiter and C.
A. Kerschner.

God's Acre and Cemetery.

Over 700 bodies of men, women and children, who at one
time or other were identified with Jerusalem Church, lie buried
in the church burying ground and the Morgenland Cemetery
adjoining. Of these, 24 are soldiers, whose graves are annually
decorated by the Grand Army of the Republic and the Sons of
Veterans with flowers and the flag of their country.

Many of the old graves have no tombstones and the names of
their occupants are unknown. The oldest graves on whose
tombstones the names can be deciphered are : Christian Giess,
born in Nassau, Europe, 1720; died May, 1803. William Moritz,
born May 12, 1720; died May 25, 1797. Eva Moritz, born Sep-
tember 29, 1727; died April 26, 1791. John Moritz, born April
15, 1760, died June 29, 1847. Helena Catharine (nee Ebert),
wife of John Moritz, born March 16, 1766; died January 29, 1862.
John William Stuber, born August 19, 1768; died October 6,
1853, 85 years, i month and 17 days. Jacob Jacoby, born August
28, 1789; died March 7, 1867, 77 years, 6 months and 8 days.
Elizabeth Jacoby, born September 15, 1788; died December 15,
1857, 68 years and 3 months. There is one stone marked "Oct.
7, 1769, ist Jacob Sam, i year, 3 mos."

In the year 1885, the "Morgenland Cemetery Association"
was formed, composed of members of the Reformed and Lutheran
congregations of Jerusalem Church, for the purpose of purchasing
ground contiguous to the church burying ground, cutting it up
into lots and selling the same. The congregations consented to
the removal of the wall separating the two burying grounds, so
as to throw the two practically into one. Each part is, however,
under a separate management. By thus enlarging and beauti-
fying the grounds, Jerusalem Church has an attractive spot where
their dead can rest in peace until the Resurrection Day.



94

The Sunday School.

There is no doubt that soon after the new church was built
in 1847, steps were also taken to organize a Sunday School.
Unfortunately, no records of those early days have been preserved.
The German language was used exclusively in the beginning, and
the school was open only during the summer rrionths. The
hames of the Superintendents that are still remembered by per-
sons living to-day, who attended the school in the early days,
are Joseph Herbst, George Doney, Frederick Springer and
Adaman Smith, in '68 and '69, now of Philadelphia. The
earliest record that has been preserved dates from the year 1874.
It contains a "Constitution of Jerusalem Sunday School" with
23 articles. It states that "the object of Sunday School shall
be to study the Scriptures, qualify the young of the church for
membership, and to endeavor to instill and strengthen in them
love for the Church."

In addition to the usual officers of the school, it also provides
for deacons. The list of officers contains the following names
for the year 1874-5: Superintendent, James Larash; Assistant
Supt., J. A. Abbott; Secretary, C. H. Mohr; Treasurer, George
Moyer; Librarian, George Moyer; Organist, Thomas Cope; Dea-
cons, George Springer, Jacob Vogel, David Sterner, W. Ueberroth.

The male teachers were J. A. Abbott, Thomas Cope, George
Springer, Eugene Stahlnecker, Jacob Vogel, Sylvester Mohn,
William Rummell, Adaman Kinder, William Bauer; the female
teachers, Eliza Moyer, Amanda Keck, Mary Larash, Amanda
Moyer, Mariah Groff, Sarah Licht, Mary Moyer, Ida Clifton, Sarah
Stahlnecker, Mary Stuber, Sarah Earner, Mary Sterner, Emma
Markle, Emma Kressler, Eliza Bauer, Catherine Koons, Lizzie
Stout.

The proceedings of the business meetings are given from
November 25, 1874, to August 20, 1877, also the accounts of the
receipts and expenditures to January 2, 1878.

For some reason or other, at a regular meeting held March
14, 1875, "It was regular moved and second to have the Old
Constitution thrown overboard and to have a new constitution."
A new constitution was adopted, which is also given in this book,
but this is not as full and complete as the former. The next
record that has been preserved dates from January, 1886. What
has become of the records from January, 1878, to January, 1886,
we know not, unless, as the present secretary, Mr. Edgar Butz,
thinks, they were burned on the rubbish pile some years ago.

April 8, 1890, a meeting was held by the Church Council of
the Lutheran congregation, the Consistory of the Reformed
congregation and the members of both congregations, over which
Rev. W. F. Schoener presided and Rev. N. Z. Snyder acted as
secretary, to take into consideration the Sunday School work in




Rkv. T. C. Brown.
(1908- )



96

the bosom of the congregations. At this meeting the sentiment
-was strongly in favor of the Sunday School being under the super-
vision of the Council and Consistory. It was believed that the
Sunday School would be more efficient if its sessions were held in
the afternoon before the regular services. An association was
formed consisting of the pastors, Church Council, Consistory,
officers and teachers of the school. The officers and teachers
of Markel's Sunday School, of which C. A. Groman, Esq., was
then superintendent, were also invited to unite. A committee
of said Sunday School was present April 20, 1890, and reported
that their Sunday School had resolved to continue as heretofore.
The pastors were instructed to draw up a constitution, which was
adopted later on. This constitution united the Sunday School
closely with the congregations. The pastors and members of the
Church Council and Consistory are members of the Sunday School.
The object of the association is "to provide for the religious
education of the young by means of the Word of God, the cate-
chisms of the churches, Bible History, and such other books and
papers as the association shall direct; to sustain by labor and
gifts of love the various benevolet operatiuons of the churches,
such as Home and Foreign Missions, Orphans' Homes and Edu-
cation." Since then the Sunday School has been operating under
this constitution, and has done good and efficient work. Too
much credit can not well be given to the faithful few who have
always cheerfully given their time and labor to this work. It has
often been found difficult to secure superintendents and teachers.
We take pleasure on this occasion to mention that on April 21,
1 901, the association passed a vote of thanks to Mr. James W.
Larash, the retired superintendent, for his faithful and continuous
services for the past twenty.-five years. Mr. Larash was succeeded
by Mr. Charles Herman, whose fidelity also won for him a vote
of thanks in October, 1905. He was succeeded by Mr. A. Paulus,
who in turn was succeeded in 1906 by Mr. Trittenbech. In 1907,
Mr. E. T. C. Ueberroth, who had faithfully served as secretary
for many years, became the superintendent. In 1908, he was
succeeded by Mr. T. H. Knappenberger, and in 1909, Mr. Edmund
Springer was elected to this position. The Sunday School has
lately been graded according to the age and capacity of the
scholars, and by a rearrangement of the services by the pastors,
it is now possible for them to be more regularly in attendance
at the opening of the school and to assist in the teaching.

The Sunday School has, on different occasions, appropriated
moneys out of its treasury for the congregations. In 1893, they
purchased an English Pulpit Bible. In 1898, they assisted in
making improvements in the church and paid $10 towards the
bell. In 1903, they contributed $50 towards the debt of the
church, and in 1906, a similar amount to pay for the new organ.
They have also, for a number of years, contributed from $5 to
$10 towards the janitor's salary.



In benevolence they have contributed from year to year
towards the cause of Home and Foreign Missions, and in 1906,
gave $10.34 to the San Francisco sufferers.

The Sunday School has regularly celebrated the festivals of
the church, such as Christmas and Kaster, with appropriate
services, and by giving suitable presents to the children. The
anniversary of the school has also been observed and the annual
picnic is never forgotten.

Missionary and Aid Societies
AND Luther League.

As we are in the days of organizations of all kinds, the con-
gregations have likewise felt the need of organizing the activities
of their members in such a way as to enlist and secure their co-
operation in the ever increasing work of the pastors and of the
church at large. On September 29, 1895, 14 years ago, Rev.
N. Z. Snyder invited the members and friends to remain after
service to consider the advisability of organizing a Missionary
Society. It was unanimously resolved to proceed with the
organization. Eighteen persons gave their names and among
them are found several Lutheran names. These, we suppose,
were the "friends" who were invited to meet with the members
of the Reformed congregation. In the rules and regulations
adopted, the purpose of the organization is stated to be ' 'to enlighten
the members in regard to the important work of Christian Mis-
sions, and to promote the cause, as far as possible, through the
regularly constituted channels of the church." The society met
from time to time as determined, from month to month, or upon
the call of the president. An Executive Committee was consti-
tuted, that arranged a program for the meeting. Voluntary dues
and offerings were collected at the meetings from the members.
Rev. Snyder was requested to give lectures on his tour to Europe
and other exercises were arranged, calculated to interest the
members in the objects they had espoused. On October 25, 1896,
the secretary, in his first annual report, stated that the society
was organized with 18 members, which number increased during
the year to 60. After deducting the removals and deaths, there
were left at the close of the first year 42 good standing members.
The amount received during the year was $17.50, which was
increased by general collections to $24.65. Nothing having been
paid out, this amount remained in the hands of the treasurer.
At a meeting on December 20, 1896, it was moved and carried to
change the name to "Missionary and Aid Society." In 1897,
March 7, the society appropriated $25 for Home and Foreign
Missions. In 1898, the society bought one dozen small hymnals,
appropriated $3 to the Ladies' Aid Society, of Denver, Col., and
$10 to Foreign Missions. At the annual meeting, November 12,
1899, the roll of membership was revised and the members were
requested to pledge themselves to a definite amount per month.



98

This was changed again to voluntary contributions, March 31,

1 901. The contribution to Home and Foreign Missions was $20,
January 6, 1901. Lady delegates were sent to the Woman's
Home and Foreign Missionary Society of the Classis from time
to time, and also paid annually a pledge of $5 to the society. In

1902, the society paid a balance of $12.05, due on the English
hymn books for the use of the congregation, and $2 to the Pala-
tinate Mission, in Philadelphia, and made up the balance of the
congregation's apportionment to Classis for Foreign Missions.
The last meeting recorded was that of January 14, 1906. Then
the minutes cease until February 7, 1909, when a meeting of the
Consistory and some of the Reformed members was called for the
purpose of starting up and reorganizing the Missionary and Aid
Society. In May 2, 1909, a new feature was introduced, viz., to
elect an organist and an assistant, and the dues were fixed at
5 cents a month. The enrollment in July numbered 34 members.

Luther League.

March 18, 1906, Rev. H. A. Kunkle, the pastor of the Luth-
eran congregation, called a meeting for the purpose of organizing
a Luther League. In the following month a constitution was
adopted and by-laws were added subsequently. The object of
this society is the improvement of its members, morally, socially,
intellectually, and spiritually, and to render the church such aid
as may be in its power. The membership is composed of active,
associate and honorary members. Active members shall consist
of all young people who are members of Jerusalem Church, whether
Lutheran or Reformed. Associate members are persons of good
moral character who are entitled to the privileges of the League,
except the right to vote and hold office; while honorary members
are such persons who have rendered the League any valuable
services and are elected by the League.

To carry out the objects of the League, standing committees
are constituted, Membership, Sanctuary, Program and Social.
The officers and the chairman of each standing committee con-
stitute the Executive Committee, which meets monthly in advance
of the meeting of the League, and then reports to the League
its recommendations. The whole League meets monthly in the
church, except during July and August, when a suitable program
is rendered and the business is transacted. During the past
year the subjects of the program have been the "Festivals of the
Church Year." During the coming year the League has con-
cluded to take up the study of the Common Service as treated in
questions and answers in a book called "The Explanation of the
Common Service." The League has contributed out of its funds
towards the organ purchased; Lutheran and Reformed hymn
books for the pews; to the cause of Missions, both Lutheran and
Reformed, and to the joint treasury for the janitor's salary, and
to the Sunday School for books needed.



99

It is a member of the Allentown Central and sends delegates
to its meetings. For the cultivation of sociability among its
members it also holds a monthly social meeting, except during
Lent, at the homes of its members, when a program, consisting
of recitations and music, vocal and instrumental, is rendered.
It closed the past year by giving a public entertainment in the
Fairview School House, which was so well received that the
request was made that it be repeated, which was granted.

Lutheran Ladies' Aid.

Last year the Lutheran pastor felt the need of calling
in the assistance of the women of the congregation for the purpose
of assisting him and the Church Council in various directions.
A meeting of the women was called for Wednesday, January 20,
1909, at the home of Mrs. Harry Scholl, after the Church Council
had approved of the object. A number responded to the invi-
tation, extended by mail to all the female members of the con-
gregation. They approved of the cause and a constitution was
adopted, officers and committees elected and appointed. The
congregation is divided into three districts. In each district
three committees are appointed — one on membership, whose
duty is not only to propose new members, but to inform the
pastor of any new people moving within the district, of any sick
and poor.

A committee on literature is also appointed in each district,
whose duty it is to assist the pastor in distributing circulars,
securing subscriptions to periodicals and canvassing for good
books.

A third committee in each district is a collecting committee
to assist in collecting funds for the benevolent work of the church
— at Easter and Harvest season — the Orphans' Homes, etc.

There are monthly meetings held by the officers and members
of the different committees and quarterly meetings by the whole
society. The dues are 25 cents per quarter.

In closing this sketch, which at best is but a mere chronicle
of such facts as we could gather here and there, permit me to say
that we have taken great pleasure in making this contribution
to the very enjoyable occasion that has brought us together. We
wish also to take this opportunity to thank one and all who have
in any way helped to make this event one long to be remembered
by all who have been permitted to share in the same. We thank
the brethren in the ministry who have come from far and near
to add to our joy. We thank the choir and those who assisted
them for the labor they have taken to enhance the pleasure of
this day. We thank the committees of arrangements, deco-
rations and the lunch for the good things they set before us. We
thank the members of both congregations for the distribution of
the souvenir postal card invitations, and the press for its gener-
ous space accorded this event.

To God alone be all the praise and glory.



History of Solomon's Reformed
Church, Macungie.

By James J. Hauser.

Prior to 1841, the members of the Reformed and Lutheran
faiths, residing at Macungie (Millerstown) , worshipped at the
Lehigh, Salisbury and Old Zionsville Churches. In that year,
Solomon Wescoe, John Shiffert and others conceived the idea that
a house of worship should be nearer at home for the members
at this place. Solomon Wescoe donated one-half acre of land, on
Church Street, which derived its name from this fact.

The work of building began immediately. The church was
a plain, substantial stone building for the use of the Reformed and
Lutheran congregations. This church was altered in 1870, en-
tirely remodeled in 1881, and rebuilt in 1893. The church yard
was used for burial purposes, and in 1869 an acre of land was pur-
chased of Klias Lichtenwalner for five hundred dollars, which was
cut up into family burial plots and in which the deceased members
of the congregations now sleep their last sleep. It was a union
church from the time it was built until 1893, when the Reformed
congregation bought the Lutherans' share. The latter erected
Grace Lutheran Church, on Main Street, the same year. The
fiftieth anniversary was very fittingly celebrated.

The pastors who served the Lutheran congregation from 1841
to 1893, were Rev. Benjamin German, 1841 to 1848; Rev. William
German, 1848 to 1851 ; Rev. Jeremiah Schindel, 1851 to 1856; Rev.
Joshua Yeager, 1856 to 1867; Rev. A. D. Croll, 1867 to 1868; Rev.
William Rath, 1868 to 1889; Rev. Myron Rath, 1889 to 1893, the
time of separation.

The Reformed pastors were the following: Rev. Samuel
Hess, 1843 to 1845. Prior to 1843 the congregation was served
by different pastors. Rev. Henry Bassler, 1 845 to 1 848 ; Rev. John
S. Kessler, D. D., 1848 to 1850; Rev. J. B. Poerner, 1850 to 1852;
Rev. Daniel Zellers, 1853 to 1857; Rev. A. J. G. Dubbs, 1857 to
1876; Rev. Thomas Reber, 1876 to 1892 ; Rev. C. W. Schaffer, 1892
to 1897; Rev. Thomas W. Dickert, 1897 to 1902; Rev. Simon
Sipple, 1902 to 1908. The congregation had no regular pastor
for some time, as Rev. Sipple resigned April 30, 1908, to accept a
call at Doylestown, Pa., but was regularly served by Rev. J. F.



lOI

DeLong, of Bethlehem. Rev. John Schaffer was elected in the fall
of 1908. The church was called Solomon's Church in honor of
Solomon Wescoe, its principal donor and supporter until his death.
He lies buried in the graveyard of the church. The church has the
largest Sunday School in the town, numbering 350 pupils.

During the pastorate of Rev. Henry Bassler prayer meetings
and Bible study were introduced and revivals took place, and a
number of the members withdrew from the congregation and
joined other congregations. Ministers of different denomina-
tions preached at different times in the church, and at one time it
seemed if the church would be disrupted. Rev. Henry Bassler
resigned and went elsewhere, and the breach .was healed and every-
thing went along well until Rev. A. D. Croll became pastor of the
Lutheran congregation, when another and more serious disruption
took place. Revs. Bassler and Croll were both able and forcible
speakers and men of stainless character, and had many followers.

In 1867, during the pastorate of Rev. A. D. Croll (Lutheran)
an eruption took place. The reverend gentleman having changed
his ecclesiastical relations from one to the other synod of the
Lutheran Church, or what is called going over from the old to
what is called the New Lutheran Church, drawing on members of
both congregations. Reformed and Lutheran.

This eruption brought on a lawsuit in which the reverend
gentleman was allowed to preach to the end of the year, notwith-
standing the doors had been barred against his entrance. This
action created a great deal of dissatisfaction on the part of many
members of the congregation. The church doors had been locked
against him, but his adherents broke them open and took posses-
sion of the church. Rev. Croll claimed and maintained that he
could not be turned out until the year to which he had been elected,
was up. This point was decided in his favor by the Court, and
he was allowed to preach to the end of his term. Then Rev. Croll
and his followers withdrew and built St. Matthew's Lutheran
Church.

On Whitsuntide, 1902, the sixtieth anniversary was very
appropriately celebrated. The regular pastor. Rev. Thomas W.
Dickert, was assisted by Revs. J. H. Dubbs, D. D., T. J. Hacker,
A. R. Bartholomew, D. D., and Rev. J. F. Neibuhr, of the Baptist
Church, of Macungie. The congregation began to build a parson-
age in 1902, which was completed in 1903 and occupied by Rev.
Simon Sipple. The membership numbers at present 356. The
church sustains a Missionary Society, Christian Endeavor Society,
Sewing Society, Mission Band, besides the Sunday School. The
congregation was served in connection with the Emaus and Salis-
bury charges until Rev. C. W. Schaffer's pastorate, when it
became a separate charge and has been for some time self-sustain-
ing. ^ It contributed for congregational purposes in 1907 and 1908,
$2,300; for benevolent purposes, $862; and during Rev. Simon



I02

Sipple's five years' pastorate, a grand total of $12,452 had been
contributed by the congregation, which speaks well for the mem-
bers of the church. The officers of the church at present are as
follows: Elders, Dr. H. M. Schell, G. F. Kerchner, F. J. Wieder,
J. ly. Christman, Charles M. Mohr, Elder Emeritus. Deacons, W.
N. Decker, Addison Christman, S. R. Moyer, J. F. Weider, J. M.
Roedler, W. J. Kern. Organist, A. G. Romig. Janitress, Mrs.
Augustus Weaver. Trustees, William H. Miller, Alexander
Ritter, Benjamin Moyer, Levi R. Griesemer, Daniel Griesemer,
William Kerchner. Superintendent of Sunday School, W. N.
Decker. Assistant Superintendent of the Sunday School, H. L.
Hertzog. Superinten*dent of Primary Department, Mrs. h. R.



Online LibraryLehigh County Historical SocietyProceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society → online text (page 30 of 32)