Lehigh County Historical Society.

Proceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society online

. (page 6 of 32)
Online LibraryLehigh County Historical SocietyProceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society → online text (page 6 of 32)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and died June 28, 181 1.



55

Rudolph Peter, a brother of Caspar, Senior, and wife Anna
Magdalena, were sponsors in 1753 to Mary Magdalena, daughter
of Jacob and EHzabeth Peter, another brother of Caspar, Senior,
Rudolph Peter died about 1777. He had four children, William,
Ulrich, Henry and Adam, each of whom received £'js, i6s., 5d.
as their share of his estate. William, the eldest son, purchased
the land.

Michael Ohl was born June 26, 1729, and died July 4, 1804.
His wife was named Elizabeth Barbara, and they had ten chil-
dren, three sons and seven daughters. He was assessed for 300
acres in Heidelberg township in 1762.

George Rex was an early .settler in Heidelberg, where he
was a large land owner. He died about 1773, leaving a widow
and eight children. He owned a tract of 519 acres, valued at
^1107, los., which the eldest son, William Rex, accepted on
June 24, 1773. Bernhard Jacob Rex, one of the sons of George
Rex, was born April 5, 1724, married May 16, 1746, Anna Eliza-
beth Orner, and died April 24, 1802. He had eleven children.
Among the other children of George Rex were Daniel, Catharine
and Salome.

SALISBURY TOWNSHIP.

Solomon Jennings was a very early settler in Salisbury town-
ship. By virtue of a warrant dated March 5, 1736, and the pay-
ment of ^11, 13s., 4d., there was surveyed for him a tract of
200 acres on the Lehigh river. In 1737 he was chosen one of
the walkers in the famous walking purchase, and a note in the
Pennsylvania Journals, Manuscript Book in the Penn papers,
says: "He is to pay no purchase money, the Proprietors hav-
ing given him this land in recompense of his services." He died
February 15, 1757, and was buried on his farm. He was called
"Der Starke," or "The Strong Man," among the Germans. He
had two sons, John and Isaac, and one daughter, who married
Nicholas Scull.

John Jennings was sheriff of Northampton county from 1762
to 1768. In 1762 he was the largest taxpayer in Salisbury town-
ship, being taxed £^6. By deed of June i, 1764, the Jennings
farm was sold to Jacob Geisinger, of Saucon township for ;^i500,
Pennsylvania currency.

Henry Roth, born June 16, 1688, arrived at Philadelphia
August 17, 1733, at the age of 45 years, with his wife Catherine,
aged 40, and children, Anna Eve, aged 13, William, aged 12,
and Catharine, aged 9. By a warrant dated September 28,
1738, he secured 300 acres of land in Salisbury township. On
December 15, 1743, with John Martin Bamberger, he gave a
deed for the land on which the Salzburg church is built. By
warrants dated May 19, 1747, and June 17, 1754, he took up



56

more land, making a total of 368 acres. His son, Frantz Wil-
helm Roth, was born December 19, 1721, and died December
28, 1757, after an illness of a few hours. He was married to
Anna Margaret Grim, daughter of Egidius Grim, born July 22,
1727, died November 22, 1746. They had one son, Frantz Roth.
His second wife, Elizabeth, died in 1776, and had one son, Henry
Roth, who removed to Virginia, and four daughters, Mary Mag-
dalena, wife of George Frederick Knauss, Elizabeth, wife of
Abraham Seider, Margaret and Catherine.

Adam Blank settled in Salisbury at an early date. He
died about 1764. His widow, Margaret, died in February, 1770,
aged 65 years. Their children were: Christopher, George,
George Adam, John, Anna Margaret, Catharine and Anna Eliza-
beth. George Adam Blank, the son, was taxed for 300 acres
of land in 1764.

Sebastian Henry Knauss settled in Salisbury in 1741. He
was born October 6, 1714, in the village of Titelsheim, Germany,
the son of Ludwig Knaus, a farmer of the Reformed religion,
and his wife Anna Margaret Goerlach. He came to America in
1723 with his parents, who settled in Whitemarsh township,
now Montgomery county, where Ludwig Knaus was a deacon
of the Whitemarsh Reformed church as early as 1728. He married
January i, 1741, Anna Catharina Transeau, and died February
26, 1777. He had thirteen children.

John Henry Knauss, brother of the above, was born June
15, 1712, and died June 6, 1761. He married December 31,
1737, Anna Catharina Roeder. He had four children, of whom
only one survived, Michael, born July 26, 1743. These two
brothers were reared in the Reformed faith, but in later years
became members of the Moravian church and founders of the
town of Emaus.

HANOVER TOWNSHIP.

Charles Ludwig Keiper, born December 15, 1737, died Sep-
tember 9, 1 815, settled in what is now Hanover township. He
was the son of Charles Ludwig Keiper, who owned a tract of
250 acres in Milford township, valued at the time of his death,
in 1753, ^t iJsoo, which Michael Keiper, the eldest son, purchased.
Other children of the senior Keiper were Catharine, wife of Michael
Aller, Elizabeth, wife of Daniel Aller, and Mary, wife of Christ-
opher Aller. Charles Ludwig Keiper, Jr., married Catharine Orr,
who was born March 12, 1737, and died September 17, 181 8.

WHITEHALL TOWNSHIP.

Jacob Kohler, a native of Switzerland, is supposed to have
settled in Whitehall township prior to the year 1730, and took
up a warrant for 150 acres of land on July i, 1734. About 1755



57

he built the first grist mill in this section. He was naturalized
April lo, 1 761. The date of his death is not known, but he was
still living in 1767. He had ten children, two sons and eight
daughters. The eldest son, Peter Kohler, became the owner of
the mill property. He was appointed by the Pennsylvania Assem-
bly, on December 16, 1777, one of the persons to take subscrip-
tions of the Continental loan in Northampton county; was com-
missioned one of the Justices for Northampton county on May
28, 1779, and was elected to the Assembly in 1780, 1781 and
1782. He died September 27, 1793.

Nicholas Kern was one of the earliest settlers of Whitehall
township, where he had taken up land under date of December
3, 1735, February 24, 1737, and October 28, 1737, for 300 acres,
which he sold, February 27, 1739, to Lawrence Guth. A Nich-
olas Kern landed at Philadelphia October 2, 1727, and Septem-
ber 21, 1732, there is also one of the same name recorded. One
of these was the Kern of Whitehall township. Nicholas Kern
and wife Mary Margaret were sponsors at Egypt church in the
years 1734, 1736, 1739, 1740 and 1741. He took up large tracts
of land in 1737 and 1738, amounting to five hundred acres where
Slatington is now located, where he later removed and died in
1748, leaving seven children, William, John, Cornelia, who mar-
ried Martin Singling, Frederick, Nicholas, Henry and George.
William Kern was born in 1725 and died August 18, 1800. He
is buried in the old graveyard at Unionville church. He was
of a jovial disposition, and was called "der trockener Kern."
This became corrupted into "Trucker," and Benjamin Franklin,
in his report to Governor Morris in January, 1756, states that
he procured boards and timber for the building of Fort Allen,
at Weissport, from "Trucker's Saw Mill."

Peter Troxell, or Drachsell, and wife JuHana Catharine,
natives of Switzerland, arrived at Philadelphia, with two sons,
Peter and Daniel, on August 17, 1733. He settled at Egypt,
but a few years later removed a few miles westward, near where
the Iron Bridge of the C. & F. R. R. is located. Here he took
up large tracts of land, some of which is still owned by his descend-
ants. He was one of the most prominent men in Whitehall
township in colonial times and was an active member of the
Egypt Reformed and later of the Jordan Reformed church.

Ulrich Flickinger landed at Philadelphia August 17, 1733.
with Peter Troxell and others, at the age of forty. He took up
a warrant for 160 acres of land along Mill Creek on January 19,
1743, and October 24, 1752, another for 142 acres. His wife
Lucia, died April 23, 1772, aged 70 years. He died in 1792,
leaving three sons, Jacob, George and Peter, and two daughters,
Mrs. Henry Heffelfinger and Mrs. John Reese.

On August 28, 1733, in the ship Hope, of London, Daniel
Ried, master, there arrived at Philadelphia, among others, Daniel



58

and Anna Margaret Roth, John Jacob and Anna Schreiber,
John Jacob Mickley, and one who signed himself, Hannes Jerg
Kohler, with his wife, Mary. Jerg is the German equivalent
for George, hence this apparently could not have been the pioneer
of Egypt, whose name was John Jacob Kohler.

Daniel Roth was a native of Switzerland, and applied for a
warrant for 1 50 acres of land situated on both sides of the Jordan
creek, including the site of the present village of Sherersville,
or Ringers Post Office. Before the warrant was issued, he died,
in April, 1737, in the same hour in which his son Peter was born,
according to a record left by this son. The warrant was dated
May 25, 1737, and the land was surveyed November 10, 1737,
in the language of the warrant, "unto Grace Rhode, widow of
said Daniel, the land situated near Maxatawny, in the countv
of Bucks."

The widow, Anna Margaret Roth, died February 25, 1757.
Two sons survived, Daniel and Peter. Daniel was born in
Switzerland in 1724 and died February 22, 181 7. He owned a
large tract of land in what is now South Whitehall township,
and had a large family. One of his sons, Daniel, only a boy of
about 17 years, was impressed into service by some of the Con-
tinental soldiers during his father's absence from home. The
father was very angry upon his return, and learning the name
of the leader of the party, a well-known resident of Whitehall,
is reported to have said that he believed it would not be a sin
if he were to shoot him for having taken such a young lad to the
war. Whether the boy was willing or not I do not know.

He never returned, for he was killed at the battle of German-
town. The brothers of the young soldier climbed the trees in
the vicinity and heard the discharge of the cannon at the battle
where their brother met his death. This was related to me by
an old gentleman, Mr. Tilghman Freyman, who had a remark-
able memory, and whose mother was a sister of the young soldier.

The other son of Daniel Roth, Senior, named Peter, lived
among the Quakers, and changed the spelling of his name to
Rhoads. He was one of the first settlers in Allentown, where
he became prominent during and after the Revolution.

John Jacob Schreiber was born at Niederbronn, Alsace, about
1699. He was married April 28, 1733, to Anna Magdalena Roth,
a sister of Daniel Roth, above mentioned. They left Nieder-
bronn May 4, 1733, and their trip to America was their wedding
journey. The family lived some time in Skippack township,
Montgomery county, but soon located 400 acres of land along
the Lehigh river, where the Coplay Cement works are now sit-
uated. He died about 1750, leaving his widow, two sons and
one daughter to survive him.

John Jacob Mickley settled in Whitehall township, where
he took up a tract of land under a warrant dated November



59

5, i745> adjoining that of Ulrich Flickinger. He married Eliza-
beth Barbara Burghalter, and died in August, 1769. He had
seven children: John Jacob Mickley, born December 17, 1737,
died December 12, 1808, married Susanna Margaret Miller, born
November 6, 1743, died December 16, 1807; John Martin Mick-
ley, born March 3, 1745, died March 11, 1828, married Catharine
Steckel, born April 8, 1749, died April 8, 1830; Magdalena Mick-
ley, born August 31, 1746, died February 31, 1833, married
(i) Peter Deshler, born March 18, 1743, died September 28, 1800,
and (2) Michael Bieber, born February 11, 1740, died October
26, 1832; John Peter Mickley, born 1752, settled in Bucks county,
and died in 1828; Henry, born 1754, and Barbara, born 1756,
were both killed by Indians on the memorable eighth of October,
1763; Susanna Mickley married Andrew Miller, of Lynn township.

George Ruch, a native of Zinzendorf, Alsace, where he was
born in 1664, came to America in 1733, in his seventieth year.
For many years he lived on a large tract of land owned by a non-
resident, but finally purchased a tract which descended to his
son Lorenz Ruch. George Ruch died in 1769, aged 104 years
and eleven months. He is buried in the old graveyard at the
Jordan Lutheran church.

September 28, 1733, there landed at Philadelphia, Ulrich
Burghalter, John Nicholas Saeger and Abraham Wotring, all of
whom settled in Whitehall township.

Ulrich Burghalter was a native of Switzerland, and was
forty years old at the time of his arrival in America. With him
were his wife, Anna Barbara, aged 34 years, and these children;
Elizabeth Barbara, aged 14, Anna Catharina, aged 12, Anna
Magdalena, aged 8, Anna Barbara, aged 4, Anna Margaretha,
aged 2^, and Peter, aged i^. In 1743 he purchased a tract of
finely located land containing 300 acres, which by deed of gift
dated November 9, 1754, h^ conveyed to his only son Peter.
One daughter, Dorothea, was born in this country. Ulrich Burg-
halter died in 1762. His son Peter, was born December 2, 1731,
and died October 22, 1805. He was a member of the Constitu-
tional Convention of 1776, and in November of the same year
was elected a member of the Assembly, the only member from
that portion of Northampton county which now constitutes
Lehigh county. He was re-elected in 1777, and again elected
in 1784, 1785 and 1786.

John Nicholas Saeger is recorded as 39 years old, and his
wife, Anna Barbara, as 28 years old at the time of their arrival
in America. Their children were: Anna Mary, 12^, Anna Bar-
bara, 10, John Henry, 8, Samuel, 6, Anna Louisa, 3^, John Chris-
tian, 2, and Christina Barbara, six months.

He settled upon a tract of 250 acres adjoining that of Ulrich
Burghalter upon the north, where now the works of the Lehigh
Portland Cement Company are located. He had twelve children,



6o

and died about 1762. Of the children mentioned above, John
Henry and Anna Louisa died in childhood; Anna Mary married
John Frederick Snyder; Anna Barbara married a Traxel; Samuel
married Anna Eva Eberhard; John Christian, born January 26,
1 73 1, and died November 30, 1800, was the ancestor of many
of the Allentown families of the name. His wife, Mary Susanna
Horn, or Hann, was born February 7, 1736, and died March
6, 1800.

Other children of John Nicholas Saeger born in this coun-
try were Mary Margaret, John Nicholas, John Jacob, Anna
Elizabeth and John.

Abraham Wotring, or Voiturin, was born July 11, 1700,
and died November 28, 1752. He had sixteen children, of whom
eight were living at the time of his death. He settled north of
Egypt and was an active member of the congregation there,
serving as a delegate to the first Coetus of the Reformed church
in Philadelphia in 1747.

Frederick Newhard and his brothers Michael and George
arrived at Philadelphia September 26, 1737. They were natives
of Zweibruecken, where the Newhard or Neihart family had owned
estates since the year 1140. Frederick Newhard purchased a
tract of 203^ acres adjoining the Kohler and Burghalter tracts,
but on account of the scarcity of spring water and the abundance
of heavy timber, sold it on February i, 1742, to Adam Deshler,
and purchased a tract of 250 acres immediately north of William
Allen's land, adjoining the city of Allentown on the north. A part
of this is still owned by one of his descendants, Francis J. New-
hard. Frederick Newhard was born in 1 700, and died November
29, 1765. He was one of the first persons buried in the old cem-
etery at Allentown.

Michael Newhard settled in the vicinity of what is now
Laury's Station. He was born in 17 13 and died in 1793. He
had fifteen children, and at the time of his death there survived
him 124 grandchildren and 71 great-grandchildren.

Paul Balliet was born in Alsace in 171 7, and landed at
Philadelphia September 11, 1738. He settled at what is now
Ballietsville, where he kept a tavern and store for many years.
He married Mary Magdalena Wotring, daughter of Abraham Wot-
ring, and died March 19, 1777. His son, Stephen Balliet was a
Lieutenant Colonel in the Revolution; a member of the Supreme
Executive Council, in 1783; of the Assembly in 1789, and in 1797
was appointed Revenue Collector for the Second District of
Pennsylvania.

Lorentz Guth was a native of Zweibruecken, and landed at
Philadelphia on September 19, 1738. On February 27, 1739, he
purchased 300 acres of land from Nicholas Kern, and June 12,
1 741, acquired a tract of 47 acres. In 1762 he was taxed ;699>



6i

of which ^i8 was abated. In 1764 he was taxed for 489 acres
of deeded land and 270 acres of undeeded land, a total of 759
acres.

He died prior to March 20, 1770, leaving a widow, Salome,
and six children: Juliana Margaret, wife of Peter Kohler, Lor-
entz, Jr., Peter, Eva Barbara, married first to Daniel Dorney,
and second to George Henry Mertz, Mary Margaret, wife of
Adam Dorney, and Adam Guth.

Peter Steckel settled in Whitehall township at an early date,
and May 20, 1768, purchased from Peter Troxel a stone messuage
and plantation of 410 acres for ^^1420. The house, built in 1756,
was until recently still in the possession of the family.

Adam Deshler purchased in 1742, 203^ acres from Frederick
Newhard, on which he built in 1760, the stone dwelling called
Fort Deshler, which is still standing. He furnished the pro-
vincial troops with supplies in the French and Indian war, and
died in 1781, leaving a widow, Appollonia, three sons and four
daughters.



A Few Notes on the Lenni Lenape or
Delaware Tribe of Indians,

By Alfred F. Berlin.



Between the years 1500- 1600 the Algonkin Stock, then at
the height of its prosperity, occupied the Atlantic Coast from the
Savannah River on the South to the Strait of Belle Isle on the
North. The whole of Newfoundland was in their possession and
in Labrador they were neighbors to the Eskimos. Some of the
subtribes of this great Indian nation wandered as far West as
the Rocky Mountains. They surrounded on all sides that crafty
and diplomatic people, the Iroquois, or Five Nations, augmented
later on by the linguistically related Tuscaroras from the South,
when they bombastically styled themselves the Six Nations. It
is said that they presented the finest type of the North American
Indian. In statecraft and diplomacy the more peaceful Dela-
wares, who will be the subject of this paper, were to the Iroquois
no equal and often did they have cause to regret having listened
to their blandishments. The name Lenni Lenape, we are told
by the Missionary Heckewelder, is the national and proper one
of this tribe and signifies "original people," a race of human
beings who are the same that they were in the beginning.

The late eminent anthropological authority, Dr. D. G. Brin-
ton, combats this, and believes that the word means a "male of
our kind," or "one more." He came to this conclusion after a
careful examination in all its parts of the word.

Living in greatest numbers on the banks of the Delaware
River, they were thus called by the Europeans. Thinking that
this name was given to them in derision they objected to it until
told that it was one of compliment. Then only were they satisfied
when made aware of the fact that it was the name of a great white
chief, Lord de la War, and that the river upon whose banks were
their homes was given the same name. After this explanation
they were greatly pleased.

According to traditions handed down to them by their fore-
fathers the Lenni Lenape people lived many hundreds of years
ago in a distant country in the western part of the American
continent. For some unaccountable reason they determined to
migrate eastward and in a body set out together in that direction.



63

After a very long journey and many nights' encampments by the
way, which means a halt of one year at a place, they at length
reached the Namaesi Sipu, or now the Mississippi River. The
Lenape spies were told that the country toward which their people
were emigrating was occupied by a very 'powerful nation who
had many large towns built on the great rivers flowing in every
direction through their land.

When the Lenape reached the banks of the Mississippi River
they sent a message to the Alligewi the people occupying the
country, asking permission to settle there. This request was
refused, but they were given permission to pass through the
country and seek a settlement farther on. The Alligewi seeing
the great numbers crossing the river made a furious attack on
those who had reached their side and threatened with destruction
all, if the others still remaining on the other side persisted in com-
ing. The Lenape, aided by the Iroquois, who were also at the
same time going toward the East, declared war against the Alli-
gewi. After many hard fought battles in which many warriors
fell on both sides, the Alligewi, finding their destruction inevitable
if they persisted in their obstinacy, abandoned the country to
their conquerors and fled down the Mississippi River, from whence
they never returned. This war lasted many years and the brunt
of it fell always upon the Lenape, the crafty Iroquois hanging
back in the rear, while the battles were fought. Through intrigue
and craft they, however, gained the land they desired, which was
that bordering on the Great Lakes and on their tributary streams.
The Lenape took possession of the country to the South, and at
last reached the large river upon which they lived, as before said,
in greatest numbers.

They say that the whole of their nation did not reach this
country, but that part of it remained on the other side of the
Mississippi, on being informed of the reception met with by those
who had crossed.

The Lenape were divided into these subtribes :

1. The Minsi, Monseys, Montheys, Munsees or Minisinks.

2. The Unami or Wonameyo.

3. The Unalachtigo.

Minsi means "people of the stony country," or, briefly,
"mountaineers."

Unami means "people down -the river."

Unalachtigo means "people who live near the ocean," and
historically such were the positions of these subtribes when they
first came to the knowledge of the Europeans.

The Minsi lived in the mountainous region at the head waters
of the Delaware, above the Forks, or junction of the Lehigh River.
One of their principal fires was on the Minisink plains, above the
Water Gap, and another on the East Branch of the Delaware,
which they called Namaeo Sipu, Fish River.



64

The Unami's territory on the right bank of the Delaware
River extended from the Lehigh Valley southward. It was with
them that Penn dealt for the land ceded him in the Indian deed
of 1682.

The Unalachtigo' had their principal seat on the affluents of
the Delaware, near where Wilmington now stands.

Each of these subtribes had its totemic animal from which
it claimed a mystical descent. The Minsi had the wolf, the
Unami the turtle and the Unalachtigo the turkey. The Unami,
the subtribe which occupied the territory in which is embraced
our Lehigh county, claimed and were conceded the precedence of
the others, because their ancestor, the turtle, was not the common
animal, so called, but the great original tortoise which bears the
world on its back. This animal had a power and a nature to
produce all things on the earth, even the earth itself. But it
was not the ultimate energy of the universe. There was a greater
cause and the tortoise only brought forth that which this primeval
divinity wished through it to produce. Everywhere in Algonkin
pictography is the turtle or the tortoise the symbol of the earth.

Each tribe of the Lenape recognized a chieftain, called
sachem, and by common .and ancient consent, the chief selected
from the turtle totem was head chief of the whole Lenape nation.
They could, however, not go to war themselves, nor attempt
anything indicating that the tempest of strife was to be let loose.

War was declared by the people at the instigation of the
"war captains," valorous braves of any birth or family who had
distinguished themselves by personal courage, and especially by
good success in forays against the enemy.

The Lenape depended not alone on the chase for subsistence.
They were largely agricultural, and raised a variety of fruits and
edible plants. Indian corn or maize, was, as usual, the staple.

This very valuable cereal originated in all probability in a
circumscribed locality, above 4,500 feet elevation, north of the
Isthmus of Tehuantepec, Mexico, and south of the twenty-second
degree of north latitude, near the ancient seat of the mysterious
and cultured Maya tribes of Indians. There is hardly a doubt
but that they first cultivated it and distributed it in every direc-
tion. It is probable that maize reached the Rio Grande about
700 A. D., for Humbold tells us that the Aztecs learned of this



Online LibraryLehigh County Historical SocietyProceedings and papers read before the Lehigh County Historical Society → online text (page 6 of 32)