Lynn Lynn historical society.

The register of the Lynn historical society, Lynn, Massachusetts (Volume 3) online

. (page 4 of 5)
Online LibraryLynn Lynn historical societyThe register of the Lynn historical society, Lynn, Massachusetts (Volume 3) → online text (page 4 of 5)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

served on the Republican city committee from 1895 to 1905, and again
from 1916 to 1919.

Mr. Odlin was a member of the Unitarian Church, of Lynn, in
which he was a devoted worker. He was superintendent of the Sunday
School for some years, and for a long period superintendent of the Uni-
tarian Sunday School, of Marblehead. He was president of the Essex
Conference of Unitarian Churches from 1911-1918. In 1913, he wrote
his book entitled "Forty Lessons on the Psalms." He was trustee of the
Lynn Public Library, 1903-1906, often lectured on historical subjects and
was a member of the Lynn Historical Society, having joined Dec. 19,
1905; a member of the Sons of the American Revolution; Gov. Thomas
Dudley Family Association; Oxford Club; Peter Woodland Lodge,
Knights of Pythias; Providence Lodge, I.O.O.F., and a life member of
Mt. Carmel Lodge A. F. and A. M.

The following is the Odlin line of ancestry :

James^ Odlin, the emigrant ancestor, was on the church list of Boston
in 1630, member of the Artillery, 1638; Deacon Elisha^, married Abigail
Bright; John^, graduated from Harvard in 1703, was a minister at Exeter,
1706-1754, m. 1st, Mrs. Elizabeth Clark, 2nd, Mrs. Elizabeth Briscoe;
Elisha*, b. Nov. 16, 1709, was graduated from Harvard 1731, m. widow
Judith Pike, Nov. i, 1731, was ordained a minister at Amesbury, 1744, d.
Jan. 21, 1752; William^, b. Feb. 17, 1738, a soldier of the Revolutionary
War, m. Mar. i, 1765, Judith Wilson, d. Sept. 6, 1787; William^, b. Feb.
16, 1767, m. 1791, Elizabeth Leavett, served in the Revolutionary War, d.
Mar. I, 1825 ; James^ b Jan. 9, 1792, m. Oct. 27, 1816, Martha H. Osborne,
d. July 30, 1856; Joseph Edwin^ b., June 20, 1825, removed to Laconia,
N. H., was a druggist, m. ist, Dec. 5, 185 1, Abby Porter, 2nd, in Nov.,
1854, Christiana Farrar, d. Apr. 7, 1874; James Edwin^ Odlin.




Mary Emma Parrott, the daughter of Harrison Brown and Dorcas
(Moulton) Parrott, was born in Lynn, July 20, 1846. She received her
education in the Lynn elementary and High schools, and became a teacher
on Apr. 8, 1884. She was retired on July i, 1916, having given thirty-two
years to the education of the children in the Franklin Street Primary
School. She was a regular attendant at the First Universalist Church, of
this city, was a member of the North Shore Club and also of the Lynn
Historical Society which she joined Jan. 11, 1899. Her death occurred
on Sept. ID, 1922, at her home, 31 Franklin Street, Lynn, and she leaves
one brother, Edwin H. Parrott, of Swampscott. Her other brothers and
sisters were, James, Albert, Theodate Moulton (Mrs. Charles H. Trask),
Lucy Jane, Harriet Chase, Adeline Orcutt (Mrs. John L Burrill) and
Charles Nestor.


Mary Ellen Peirce, the daughter of John Batchelder and Sarah Ann
(Hallowell) Peirce, was born in Danvers, Sept. 13, 1837. The family
moved to Salem, where she attended school, and later she came to Lynn,
graduating from the High School. For many years she was a teacher of
French and German in the Chauncey Hall School of Boston. She was
intensely interested in the Abolition movement, and for ten years follow-
ing the Civil w^l^was a teacher among the negroes on the islands off the
coast of South L^arolina. In later years, she was a strong suffragist.

Miss Peirce was a member of the New England Woman's Club, and
the Women's City Club, of Boston. In religious belief, she was a Uni-
tarian. She had been a resident of Boston since 1870, and a member of
the Lynn Historical Society since May 28, 1906. She died at her home
in Boston, 6i Mt. Vernon Street, on Nov. 20, 1921, leaving two sisters in
her immediate family, Miss Laura Peirce, of Boston, and Mrs. Philip A.
Chase, of Lynn.

For the complete record of her ancestry, see the files of the Lynn
Historical Society genealogies, — No. 30, John Batchelder and John Peirce ;
No. 30A, Joseph Holloway : No. 30B, Richard Johnson; No. 30c, John
Putnam. Among her emigrant ancestors were, — ^John Batchelder, Roger
Conant, Governor John Endecott, Humphrey Woodberry, Richard Hale,
Henry Herrick, Allen Breed, Thomas Newhall, Richard Hood, Richard
Johnson, Robert Mansfield, John Putnam and Thomas Farrar.



Dr. Joseph Gurney Pinkham, son of Elias and Fanny (Sampson)
Pinkham, was born in West Gardiner, Maine, Oct. 20, 1839. He prepared
for college at Oak Grove Seminary, Vassalboro, Maine, attended the
Friends' School, at Providence, R. I., and graduated from Haverford
College, Philadelphia, vi^ith the degree of A.B. in 1863, A.M. in 1866, and
received his M.D. degree in i866j having taken courses at Ann Arbor,
Michigan, and the Long Island College Hospital.

On November 2, 1867, he married Emily Georgianna (MacKenney)
Williams, at Somerville, Mass. The following year, he came to Lynn
where he established his home and where he resided until his death,
Nov. 30, 1923.

Dr. Pinkham was of the finest type of Christian gentleman, a physi-
cian and surgeon widely known, and an expert chemist. He was conspic-
uous for his talents, his rugged honesty, and his devotion to his profession.
During a period of forty-two years, 1 877-1 9i9,he served as Medical Examiner
of the Ninth District, Essex County, and for more than thirty years was
chief surgeon at the Lynn Hospital — afterwards consulting surgeon. For
seven years, he was a trustee of the Massachusetts Hospital for Dipso-
maniacs and Inebriates, at Foxboro, and was also a consulting surgeon
of the Danvers Hospital for the Insane. He was an ex-vice president
of the Massachusetts Medical Society, ex-president of the Massachusetts
Medico-Legal Association, a member of the Amerifcan Medical Society,
and a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He wrote extensively
for medical journals, especially in the reports of the Massachusetts State
Board of Health, besides various papers for the Massachusetts Medical
Society and the Medico-Legal Association. Dr. Pinkham was also a
member of the Lynn Medical Society, the Oxford Club, and the Lynn
Historical Society (July 36, 1909). For twelve years he was a member of
the Lynn School Committee, serving four years as chairman and being
one of those interested in building the English High School.

His religious affiliations were with the Friends' Society, of Lynn, of
which he was a member. In politics, he was a Republican. He was a
strong believer in, and worked for the adoption of, prohibition.

Painstaking in all his work, he was exceptionally well qualified to
fulfil the laborous duties which confronted him as a Medical Examiner,
and often he ha^ a prominent part in cases before the courts, where
judges, lawyers, (doctors, and newspaper men had the greatest respect for
his opinions and testimony.

Dr. Pinkham's wife died Mar. 23,1913. Five of his six children survive,
namely, Frances Ethel (Mrs. Curt Pruefer), Dr. Edward Warwick Pink-
ham, Mary Katherine (Mrs. Charles H. Merrill), Joseph Warren Pinkham,





and Isabella Sampson (Mrs. Raoul E. Hellmer). The third child, Richard
Henry, died in 1876.

Emigrant ancestors of Dr. Pinkham were Richard Pinkham, born on
the west coast of England, came to this country in 1633, John Alden and
Henry Sampson.


Hon. Robert Samuel Rantoul was born in Beverly, Mass., June 2,
1832, the son of Hon. Robert R., Jr., and Jane (Woodbury) Rantoul. He
was educated at the Beverly Academy, the Boston Latin School and was
graduated from Harvard University in the class of 1853, Phi Beta Kappa,
with the degree of A.B. He received the degrees of A.M., and LL.B.,
1856, as he gained distinction in his chosen profession of the law.

He was admitted to the bar in 1856, was a member of the Massachu-
setts House of Representatives from Beverly, 1857, and from Salem, 1S83
and 1884; was Collector of the Port of Salem and Beverly, 1865-1869;
Mayor of Salem, 1890-1893 ; candidate for Presidential Elector on the
Palmer and Buckner ticket, 1896. While elected Mayor as a Republican,
he voted for Grover Cleveland as President of the United States. He was
greatly interested in local history and genealogy, writing many pamphlets
on those subjects. He was president of Essex Institute, Salem ; 1896-1904,
a member of the Massachusetts Historical Society, Boston, and an honor-
ary member of the Lynn Historical Society (Nov. 17, 1913). He was also
interested in the Old Ladies' Home of Salem, and his religious affiliations
were with the Unitarian denomination.

Mr. Rantoul married at Salem, May 13, 1858, Harriet Charlotte Neal,
by whom he had three daughters and six sons. He died May i, 1922. His
genealogy is traced through Robert^, the emigrant ancestor, of the
County of Kimoss, Fifeshire, Scotland, b. in Jan., 1753, "^^o lost his life
at sea, having sailed in 1782 on the ship "Iris," which was never heard
from. Robert-^, b. at Salem, 1778; d. 1858; m. Joanna Lovett at Beverly,
June 4, 1801. Robert^, b. at Beverly, Aug. 3, 1805; d. Aug. 7, 1852, at
Washington, D.C. m. Jane Elizabeth Woodbury at Beverly, Aug. 4, 1831.
Robert Samuel*.


Katherine Rebecca Richardson, daughter of Josiah and Rebecca
(Abbott) Richardson, was born in Lynn, Aug. 4, 1844, and died Aug. 26,
1919, at the home of her nephew, Henry Richardson French, 18 Park
Street, where she had lived for a number of years. Miss Richardson had


been a teacher In the Lynn public schools for thirty years, beginning in
the primary grade on Franklin Street, in 1872. For some years after her
resignation from the Lynn schools, she taught private pupils in New
York, her work being always with little children. She was a graduate of
the State Normal School at Salem ; a member of the Central Congrega-
tional Church; of the North Shore Club; and of the Lynn Historical
Society from Apr. 3i, 1910.

Miss Richardson was descended from the Richardson family of
Woburn. Her emigrant ancestor, Samuel Richardson, born in England
about 1610, came to America in 1636, and was one of the founders of the
church at Woburn in 1642. The following is her line of descent;
Samuel^, Joseph^, Joseph^, Reuben*, Caleb^, Dea. Josiah®, Josrah'^,
Katherine Rebecca* Richardson.


Elizabeth Elkins Rule was born in Nantucket, March 2, 1849, the
daughter of George C. and Sarah (Elkins) Rule. Her father was a sea
captain, and lost his life on the west coast of South America. Her mother
was of Nantucket ancestry. Miss Rule was educated in the Nantucket and
Lynn schools graduating from the Salem Normal School. She became
assistant librarian of the Lynn Public Library, under Mr. John Batchelder,
retaining that position till her death Apr. 19, 1921. During 1917-1918 she
was acting librarian for Miss Harriet L. Matthews whose illness entailed
many extra duties upon Miss Rule, which she ably and gladly fulfilled for
her friend.

During her long term of service of fifty years at the Library she was
most faithful and conscientious, always helpful to the many inquirers
who sought her aid. For twenty-five years she received but four hundred
dollars a year salary. She was a member of the Massachusetts Library
Association, of the American Library Association, the Unitarian Church
of Lynn, and was a charter member of the Lynn Historical Society.


James Madison Sargent, son of James Madison and Lydia W.
(Parrott) Sargent, was born Feb. 22, 1841, in the old homestead still
standing at the corner of Parrott and Fayette streets, and now owned by
a younger brother, George E. Sargent, of 36 Parrott street. His death
occurred Apr. 26, 1921, at Jacksonville, Florida, where he had been
spending the winter. Mr. Sargent was educated in the grammar schools



of Lynn, and at a private school at Reading. He worked in a shoe factory
in Ljnn, and for a period during his young manhood lived in Baltimore.
He married, May i6, 1877, Harriet E. Symmes, of Westford, who was a
school teacher at Essex. A daughter, Lydia Parrott, was born at
Lynn, Aug. 9, 1878. His wife died Jan. 14, 1879, and soon after he went
to California, where he remained three years. Returning to Lynn, he
became the founder of the firm of Sargent & Merrill, shoe manufacturers,
conducting a business on Washington street for twenty-five years. Some
twelve years prior to his death, having gained a competency, Mr. Sar-
gent retired from active business, and during the remainder of his life
spent most of his winters in the South.

He was a member of Lynn Historical Society (joined Nov. 15, 1909;
Life, June 18, 1914), and the Oxford Club where during the last years of
his life he was an almost daily visitor when in town. He was also a mem-
ber of Mount Carmel Lodge A. F. and A. M., and of Providence Lodge
L O. O. F. In politics Mr. Sargent was a Republican, and his religious
affiliations were with the First Universalist Church where he was an
attendant for many years, his father having been Clerk of the Parish for
fifty-two years (1833-1885). His daughter, Mrs. Lydia P. (Sargent) Lee,
wife of O. W. Lee, of 42 Gloucester Street, Boston, and a brother, George
Elwyn Sargent, and three nephews, John R., Lester, and William S.
Sargent, survive him.

Mr. Sargent's father was born in Haverhill, Mass., Jan. 20, 1810, and
lived until he was ten years old on the farm adjoining that of the poet
Whittier, who was only three years his senior. In after years, he spoke
frequently of his early playfellow and neighbor, remembering especially
the fact that the embryo poet was always writing with chalk wherever
there was a clear space in the barn or on the fences.

The line of ancestry is as follows : William^, 1606-1675 ; William'-',
1645-1712; Charles^, 1674-1737; Elias*, 1707- ; Elias*^, 1728- ;
Ensign^, 1789-1859; James Madison'^, 1810-18S5; James Madison^, 1841-
192 1. For further genealogical data concerning this family see Lynn
Historical Society Register for the year 1911, under William P.


Theodore Charles Tebbetts, son of Charles Barker and Georgiana
Beaumont (May) Tebbetts, was born in Lynn, Dec. 20, 1871 ; he married
in Detroit, July 23, 1897, Helen Virginia Curtis, daughter of Dr. Jay
Sturgis and Elsie VanVorhels (Bogart) Curtis, of Saginaw, Michigan ;
and died at his home on Baltimore Street, July 26, 1920.

On both paternal and maternal sides he was of the ninth generation


from early settlers of the country. His grandfather on his father's side
was Judge Tebbetts, of Rochester, New York, and on his mother's side
his ancestry is linked with the Beaumont, May, and Gookin families, of
earliest colonial days.

Mr. Tebbetts graduated from Harvard in the class of 1892, and being
very fond of study and travel, he afterward attended the universities of
Berlin and Heidelberg, and the Sorbonne, in Paris. In 1901, he also
graduated from the Columbia Law School, of New York. He inherited a
large estate from his father, who died in Egypt in 1900, and he himself
lived a great part of his life in Europe. He spoke several languages, and
it was hif, custom to leave hurriedly for distant parts when he desired to
travel. Many of his winters were spent on the Isle of Jersey, off the
English coast, where he had an estate. He gave several lectures in Lynn
with this Island as his principal subject. He was a man of fine ability.
He belonged to the Harvard and Somerville Clubs of Boston, The Old
Essex Chapter, Sons of American Revolution, of Lynn, and the Lynn
Historical Society which he joined Dec. 28, 1900. His religious affilia-
tions were with the Unitarian Church.

He is survived by his wife, Helen V. Tebbetts, and three children,
Mrs. Helen Beaumont Parker, of Pelham, N. Y, who served as a nurse
during the World War ; Theodore, who served in the Royal Flying Corps,
of Canada, having failed of entering the flying division of this country
because of his youth, and Charles Barker, a younger son, who did volun-
teer farm work in New Hampshire during the war.


John Seward Treadwell, son of William Francis and Sarah (Ross)
Treadwell, was born in Ipswich, Mass., Aug. 25, 1844. Educated in the
schools of Ipswich, he lived there until as a young man he came to Lynn.
He married Josephine A. Alden in this city May 25, 1868, and here his
children, Chester C. and Ethel J., were born. Late in life, Mr. Treadwell
removed to Swampscott where he died Aug. 13, 1919.

The business life of Mr. Treadwell began upon his coming to Lynn,
where he learned the trade of shoe-cutter. After following this branch
several years, he served as superintendent in various factories, and finally
entered business for himself as a shoe manufacturer. Later, he became
president of the New York Shoe Manufacturing Company, and of the
Treadwell Manufacturing Company with factories in Lynn and Ipswich,
and a retail store in New York City.

Mr. Treadwell never held public office, but was a member of the
Oxford Club, Lynn Historical Society, which he joined Sept. 18, 191 1,
Palestine Encampment and Bay State Lodge, I. O. O. F., and was an
attendant at the First Universalist Church, of Lynn.




Marj (Kunhardt) Tripp was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Aug. 28, 1871,
the daughter of John and Ann Maria (Kimball) Kunhardt. The family
soon removed to Melrose, Mass., and the daughter, after graduating from
the Melrose High School, took a year's course of study at the Waltham
New Church School, then studied in Germany for a year and a half,
giving special attention to music, German and French. She taught in
Melrose for a few years, and was Secretary of the Melrose Highlands
Woman's Club.

She was married toThaxter Norton Tripp, at Lynn, Oct. 7, 1902, and
resided at 11 Baltimore Street, until her death, Oct. 6, 1920. Mrs. Tripp
was a member of the North Shore and 1884 Clubs, and had always
attended the Church of the New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian) of Boston.
She became a member of the Lynn Historical Society on June 15, 1903.


Anna (Morse) Tuttle, daughter of Smith Q. and Ruth (Miller) Morse,
was born in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, Aug. 17, 1855, was married in 1877
to Calvin B. Tuttle and died at her home on Red Rock Street, Lynn,
Nov. 15, 1921. A daughter, Maude (Tuttle) Atherton, a sister, Mary I.
Morse, both of Lynn, and brother, John E. Morse of Westboro, survive

Mrs. Tuttle was educated in the Lynn schools, and was graduated from
the Lynn High School. She was an accomplished pianist, having had,
beside her own natural love and aptitude, the advantage of study with
B. J. Lang and Otto Bendix. Before her marriage she gave piano lessons,
but after that time continued her music only because it was of great
interest and pleasure to her. She was a woman of fine ability and char-
acter. Her husband, who was a patent lawyer of note in Boston and
Lynn, was an invalid in a wheel-chair for many years, and Mrs. Tuttle
was invaluable to him as co-worker and assistant. She traveled much
with him both abroad and through the far West. His death occurred
May 6, 1906.

For many years, she was a member, and teacher in the Sunday School,
of the First Congregational Church, but of later years attended the Uni-
tarian Church with her daughter. Besides her church interests, she had
been president of the Outlook Club, 1918-1919, and was a member of the
Political Science Club and Woman's Club, of Lynn, and of the Women's
City Club, of Boston. She joined the Lynn Historical Society July 26,


Her ancestry through her father is traced back to Anthony Morse,
who came to this country from Marlboro, Wiltshire, England, and settled
in Newbury in 1635. The line is Anthony^, Deacon Benjamin^, Benja-
min^, Hon. Abel*, Nathan^, Nathan^, Benjamin", Smith Q^^, Anna^
(Morse) Tuttle.


Ellen Louisa (Kettell) Warner was born in Worcester Jan. 10, 1843,
the daughter of John P. and Elizabeth F. (Wheeler) Kettell. She lived
in Worcester until her marriage there to Capt. John Gerry Warner,
of Lynn, on Oct. 5, 1875, and died at her home, 17 Baltimore Street,
Lynn, on Nov. 17, 1920. She was for many years a member of the
Unitarian Church, and was actively interested in and identified with the
work of its two allied organizations, the Ladies' Sewing Circle and the
Alliance. She was also a member of the Lynn Woman's Club, and joined
the Lynn Historical Society on Jan. 11, 1899.

There were two children, Winthrop Kettell, born Sept. 23, 1879, died
June 20, 18S6, and Stewart Gerry, born April 21, 1881, died June 30, 1923.
On June 7, 1906, Stewart married Florence E. Bartol, daughter of George
F. and Georgianna (Hurd) Bartol, at Lynn, and the only surviving mem-
bers of the family are his wife and one daughter, Marguerite B., who
reside in this city.


Louis Martin Winslow, son of John Martin and Bertha Dennison
(Hartshorn) Winslow, was born at Norwood, Mass., Jan. 19, 1865, and
was married, Sept. 2a, 1892, to Lucy Porter Hovey. The children by this
marriage were Edward Martin, Herbert Holland, and Evelyn Hovey
Winslow. Mr. Winslow died Apr. 22, 1919, at the J. B. Thomas Hos-
pital, Peabody, from injuries received in an automobile accident on the
Newburyport Turnpike.

His early education was received at Dean Academy, Franklin, and
his residence was Norwood until he came to Lynn, Apr. 2, 1883. He
learned the trade of morocco dressing from A. B. Martin, of Lynn, and
after three years apprenticeship, opened a factory on Harrison Court for
the manufacture of leather. In 1895, he opened a plant at 221 Market
Street, and in 1904, formed a partnership with J. C. Benz at the same
location, making chrome tanned goat skins. For fifteen years previous
to his death, he was treasurer of the Benz Kid Company, the firm being
one of the largest of its kind in America. He was eastern director of the
Tanner's Product Company. Mr. Winslow was of a family who plied the





leather trade since 1776, when a Winslow engaged in the making of leather
in Norwood. He himself had worked up rapidly in the business, and was
one of the best known leather manufacturers hereabouts.

Active in business and social interests in Ljnn, he was vice-president
of the Lynn Safe Deposit and Trust Company, president of Lynn Storage
Warehouse Company, director of the Lynn Manufacturers' and Merchants'
Mutual Fire Insurance Co., a member of the Oxford Club, president of
the Home for Aged Men, a member of the First Universalist Church, of
which he was for some years on the Board of Management, member of
Tiot Lodge, I.O.O.F., of Norwood, of Old Essex Chapter, S. A, R.,of
Lynn, and a life member of the Lynn Historical Society, which he joined
February 16, 1903.

Mr. Winslow is survived by his three children, and a brother, Dr.
Richard Winslow, of Norwood.


William Marshall Wires was born in Cambridge, Vermont, about
seventy-four years ago, the son of Alvin and Amy Wires. Early in the
Civil war, he enlisted in the Fifth Regiment of Vermont Volunteers, but
was later transferred to the Army Signal School at Georgetown Heights,
under Major Meyer of the regular army. At this important station just
outside of Washington, he became very proficient in signalling. He was
with the Signal Corps at Gettysburg, where he had a horse shot under
him. Later, he was with Captain Mosby's guerrillas at Garnet Mountain,

Mr. Wires was married on Sept. 21, 1867, to Harriet Alona, daughter
of Charles and Mary A. Pond, of Norwich, Connecticut. He moved to
Lynn in 1872 and became one of the most prominent photographers in
the city. He was a member and former Senior Vice Commander of Gen.
Lander Post No. 5, G. A. R.,and in 1915 was a delegate to the National
Encampment at Washington. Politically, he was a member of the
Republican party, and served as license commissioner under the late
William Shepherd, Mayor.

Mr. Wires joined the Lynn Historical Society Oct. 12, 1901, and
attended the First Universalist Church. He died at the Soldiers' Home
in Chelsea, Jan. 31, 1920, his life ending, as he wished, among his old
comrades. He left two children, — William Marshall Wires, Jr., of
Haverhill, and Grace A. (Mrs. Herbert Rice), of Northampton, also a
brother, Henry M. Wires, of Randolph, Vermont, and a niece, Mrs.
Frederick O. Thompson, of Swampscott.

1 2 4

Online LibraryLynn Lynn historical societyThe register of the Lynn historical society, Lynn, Massachusetts (Volume 3) → online text (page 4 of 5)