742 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:
Koller l)eing almost the main support in building the chui'ch here; they were
among the township's best known and most highly respected pioneers and
their memory will long be honored by the citizens.
JOHX KOLLER (deceased) was a native of York County, Penn. , where
he married Eve Reigle. In June, 1834, they settled on Honey Creek, Bloom
Township, this county, where they cleared up a farm and reared their family of
three childi-en. Mr. Koller was an old-time democrat, and took an active part
in public affairs, serving his township as trustee for several terms. He was
devoted to the improvement of his home, and built the first brick house in
Bloom Township, and the first fine residence of any kind on Honey Creek. He
was a very useful and valuable citizen and his early death, February IS, 1845,
when but thirty-six years of age, was deeply lamented by the whole community.
His widow, who subsequently married William Watson, died October 25, 1803.
NATHANIEL KOLLER, farmer, P. O. Bloomville, was born December
24, 1834. and is the eldest of the three children born to John and Eve (Reigle)
Koller. He was united in marriage, February 29, 1856, with Miss Magdalena
Hossler, daughter of the well known pioneer, Jacob Hossler. Mr. and Mrs.
Koller settled on their present farm in February, 1859, where they have a
comfortable home and sixty-three acres of well improved land. They have one
daughter, Mary Ettie, wife of James G. Potteiger, and they have one^ daughter,
Ella M. Mr. Koller is a Republican in politics. Mrs. Koller is a member of
the United Brethren Church.
SAMUEL A. B. McCLELLAND, farmer, P. O. Bloomville. was born June
7, 1818, in Centre County, Penn. His father, Hugh McClelland, died about 1823,
and his mother, Mrs. Elizabeth (Boyd) McClelland, came to Eden Township,
this county, with her young family, in 1830. They settled on a new farm which
they at once began to clear up and develop. The names of their children are
AVilliam H. ; Mrs. Nancy J. Clark, in Hancock County; Sarah I., (deceased);
S. A. B. ; Mrs. Mary H. Moe; and Mrs. Margaret F.' Watson. Our subject
married, July 26, 1849, Miss Catherine Ralston, born March 31, 1828, in
Brooke County, Va. , daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Parks) Ralston, who
settledjn Bloom To^vnship, this county, in 1834. Mr. Ralston died January
4, 1867, and his widow still lives in Bloom Township. Two of their sons gave
their lives in defense of their country, Joseph M. C. being a member of the One
Hundred and Forty-fourth Regiment, and Robei-t of the Fiftv-fifth Regiment
Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Mr. and Mrs. McClelland settled i'n Bloom Town-
ship, this county, in 1853. Their children are Salomon Chase, of Michigan;
William H.. in Kosciusko County, Ind. ; Samuel; Ward B. ; Hugh; and Ida E.
Mr. McClelland has been an ardent Republican since the organization of the
party. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
JOHN McCLELLAND, a native of Fayette County, Penn., was married in
Wayne County, Ohio, in 1832, to Miss Elizabeth Hannah, a native of Cumber-
land County, Penn. They settled in Venice Township, this county, in 1836.
Of their twelve children Thomas A. , the only one residing in Bloom Town-
ship, maiTied, August 23, 1866, Miss Catherine Wilson. Her father, John W.
Wilson, was born in Fayette Coimty, Penn., in 1821, and came to Ohio with his
father, Rev. James Wilson, a native"of England and a minister of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. John W. Wilson married Miss Hannah J. McWilliams, of
Richland County, Ohio, and resided on their farm until 1875, when they located
in Bloomville, where Mr. Wilson died, in November, 1880; his widow now
resides at her home.
NATHAN MARTIN (deceased), son of William and Hannah (Chapman)
Martin, was born in Mifflin County, Penn., November 6, 1785; enlisted in Dear-
BLOOM TOWNSHIP. 743
horn's command in 1812, and served during that war; was discharged and paid
ofF at Fort Niagara, then went to York (Toronto) to visit his mother's sisters who
resided there, and became a resident of that district. He was maiTied there to
Miss Elizabeth Devins, and engaged in agriculture in Canada until May, 1839,
when he moved to Bloom Township. Seneca Co., Ohio, where his two
brothers had settled at an earlier date. His wife and children — five boys and
three girls — accompanied him hither. On arriving in Bloom, June 1. he nego-
tiated for the piu'chase of a farm, and went to reside on it (Section 19) July 1,
1839. He was trustee of Bloom Township for many years previous to his
death, which occuri'ed Februaiy 11, 18C2, his demise being attributed to worry,
caused bv the war. His widow died in January, 1870.
JOHN CHAPMAN MARTIN (deceased), was born February 26, 1798, in
Mifflin County. Penn. He came to Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1812, where he
was united in marriage with Miss Mary Ann McCaudlish, a native of Water-
ford, Ohio. They moved to Bloom Township, this county, in 1828, and entered
an eighty-acre tract, noi-th of Honey Creek, which they subsequently increased
to 160 acres. They lived at their home on Honey Creek until their death. Mr.
Martin died January 8, 1881, his wife December 30, 1870. Of their eleven
children foiu- are now living: William, a resident of Des Moines, Iowa; Anthony
M., an M. D. in Bloomville, Ohio: George M., living on the homestead on
Honey Creek; and Albert, in King City, Mo. Oui' subject and his worthy
wife were among the honored pioneers of Bloom Township, where they lived
long and useful lives.
PAUL MILLER, manufactui-er, Bloomville, was born May 5, 1840, in
Venice Township, this county. His father, John M. Miller, a native of Wur-
temberg, Germany, married Miss Rickey Reider, immigrated to America in
1832, and, after living in Medina County, Ohio, about four years, Settled per-
manantly in Seneca County, Ohio. After his wife's demise, which occuiTed
when she was aged forty-two years and twenty-five days, John M. Miller mar-
ried Miss Catherine Kalb, who died February 9, 1878, aged sixty-nine years;
he remained a widower the remainder of his life; he died March 29, 1884,
aged eighty-two years, nine months and twenty-one days; he was an enter-
prising farmer and acquired an estate of 400 acres of land. His children —
nine sons and one daughter — are all now living but Aaron, who was di'owned in
Sandusky River, at Tiffin, Ohio, March 12, 1868. Two of the sons, D. G. and
C. C. , gave their services in defense of the Government in the war of the Re-
bellion, serving four years each. Onr subject was employed three months as
carpenter by the Government during the Rebellion. He was married, March
10, 1864, to Mary E. Marshall, then located at Richville, Crawford County,
Ohio, two years, after which he purchased a saw-mill at Tiffin, Ohio, which he
carried on for eight years. He next resided in the southeast corner of Clinton
Township, this county, for some time, but finally located in Bloomville in
1875. Here he carries on an extensive saw-mill, planing-mill and lumber
business, supplying the home market; has a large railroad trade and is ship-
ping extensively to Toledo and other points. This is the only establishment
of the kind in Bloomville. He is noted as one of the most enterprising and suc-
cessful business men of the day. IMi". and Mrs. Miller's children are John
David, Elizalieth Anna, Mary Emma, Benjamin Franklin, Nelson Hariy and
Iva Pearl. Mrs. Miller is a member of the German Reformed Church.
HERBERT G. OGDEN, merchant, Bloomville, was born August 13. 1843,
in Scipio Township, this county. His father, Gilbert M. Ogden, of Tomp-
kins County, N. Y., came to this county in 1836. where he was married to
Miss Sarah Jopp, of Pleasant Township, who died in 1854. Gilbert M. Ogden
744 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES :
carried on a mercantile trade in Republic, Ohio, from 1846 to 1803 (when his
son took his place in the establishment); spent from 1867 to 1875 among the
mines in Nevada, and died at Toledo, Ohio, in September, 1884. Our subject
carried on the dry goods store formerly owned by his father in Republic, until
1871, when he located in Green Spring, Ohio. In 1881 he came to Bloom -
ville, this county, where he formed the present partnership with G. F. Swi-
gert. They carry a full line of dry goods, boots, shoes, notions, etc., and
have built up a large and lucrative trade. Mr. Ogden was married, November
19. 1868, to Miss Harriet I. Swigert, by whom he has one son, Fred. Mr.
Ogden is a Royal Arch Mason. He is a representative business man and an
influential citizen in this community. He enlisted during the late war of the
Rebellion, in May, 1861, in Company G, Twenty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volun-
teer Infantry, wa^s transferred in August, 1862. to the One Hundi-ed and First
Ohio Volunteer Infantry ; served in the Army of the Potomac and took part in
many severe engagements fought in West Virginia and Virginia. He was
wounded in the left arm at the battle of Cross Keys, ^\. Va., and resigned on
account of disabilitv, with the rank of first lieutenant, in 1863.
LEWIS R. OWEN, farmer. P. O. Bloomville, was born in Milo, Yates
Co., N. Y., April 30, 1815. His parents, Nathaniel and Elizabeth Owen,
came to Scipio Township, this county, in 1833. and there cleared up a new
farm, enduring the hardships and privations of pioneer life. Of their seven
children five are now living: Alanson. in Bloom Township; Charles, in Eden
Township, this county; Lewis R., in Bloom Township; Mrs. Mary Blackman,
in Wisconsin, and Jonathan in Dakota. Nathaniel Owen died in 1846, his
w^idow in 1882, aged ninety years. Our subject, after helping on his father's
farm, married Miss Sallie Free, and commenced to clear a farm for himself
in Bloom Township, this county, in 1835. Here they acquired a fine property
of 240 acres of well improved land. Mrs. Owen died in 1849, leaving three
childien: John, in Bloom Township ; Mrs. Mary Kagy, in Iowa: and William.
Om- subject was inarried on second occasion to Miss Almeda Rice, and their
childi-en are Ellery, a resident of Iowa; Lasaida (deceased); Sarah Andrews,
in Wyandot County, Ohio; Brill a Worm, in Bloom Township. Mr. and IMi's.
Owen are members of the Baptist Church. He is an earnest Democrat in
politics and takes a deep interest in public affairs. He has been called upon
to serve his township as trustee for six years.
JOHN T. REID. retired farmer, P. 6. Bloomville, was born January 1, 1807,
in Frederick County, Md. His father, Archibald Reid, a native of England,
Avas married to Catherine Talbott, of Maryland, and died in about 1809, the
widow then locating with her family in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1814, where
she resided until her death in 1835. One of their sons, Benjamin, was a
soldier in the war of 1812. Our subject came to Fairfield County with his
uncle in 1813 and to Bloom Township, this county, in 1831, and here he began
clearing up a farm in the western part of the township. He was married,
April 25, 1833, to Miss Eliza B. Watson, who was born March 14, 1810, in
Center County, Penn. . and came to Eden Township, this county, at twenty
years of age with her widowed mother, Mrs. Elizabeth McClelland. Since
their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Reid have resided in Bloom Township. Their
children are Benjamin F., of Westport. Cal. ; Mary Elizabeth, who died at
three years of age; William L., in Bloom Township, this county; and Mz's.
Margaret E. Marquis, also in Bloom Township. Mr. and Mrs. Reid have been
leading a retired life in Bloomville since 1873. They are members of the
Presbyterian Church and are devoted to the temperance cause, upright pioneer
people, respected by the entire community.
BLOOM TOAVNSHIP. 745
WILLIAM L. REID, farmer, P. O. Bloomville. was born January 14,
1838, in Bloom Township, this county, and is a son of John T. and Eliza B.
(Watson) Reid. Om- subject received his education in the schools of the home
district, but, as was common among the sons of the settlers of those early times,
his educational advantages were necessarily limited, owing to the demand for
his help on the farm. He was united in marriage, April 25, 1861, with Miss
Martha C. Hershberger, whose parents, Jonas and Martha Hershberger, moved
from Shenandoah County, Ya. , and settled in Eden Township, this county,
in 1833. To IMi-. and Mrs. Eeid have been born three childi-en: Mrs. Ellen
Bliss, Eliza and Wilbert (deceased). During the late war of the Rebellion, our
subject served about tive months, in 1864, as a member of the One Himdred
and Sixty-fourth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He has resided on the
old family homestead ever since his marriage. Mr. Reid is a life-long Repub
lican. takes an active interest in public affairs, and is at pi'esent a trustee of
JOHN RICE, farmer, P. O. Attica, was born March 22, 1823, in Yates
County, N. Y, , son of William and Lu.ceba (Blodgett) Rice, who settled in Reed
Township, this county, in 1829, and there resided until the death of William
Rice, which occiu-red August 20, 1835. His widow survived him until 1863.
Our subject was married, March 28, 1844, to Susan Henrietta Hall, born in
Steuben County. N. Y., January 21, 1826, daughter of Rev. Henry F. and
Susan (Sellon) Hall, who settled in the corner of Bloom Township in 1835.
Mr. Hall was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, being ordained
in 1832 by Bishop Hedding. He was a man of much eloquence and power,
and preached a great deal in the suiTounding communities. He ended his use-
ful life March 5, 1858, aged sixty-nine years. His widow survived him
until March 23, 1871 . She had been a member of the Methodist Episcoi^al
Chiu-ch for sixty years. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Rice lived in Reed
Township, three years; in Wyandot County, seven years, and finally settled, in
1854, where they now reside, on the old family homestead of Rev. Mr. Hall.
They have a tine place of 2()() acres, which is one of the best improved farms
in the township. Their chiklren are Sidney Herbert, of St. Joseph, Mo. ;
Francis Leroy, of Cleveland, Ohio; Mrs. Nettie Pinger, of Barry, 111. ; Bert
E. and Charles A. reside on the old farm. Mr. and IVIi's. Rice are consistent
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with which the former has been
connected since twelve, and the latter since eighteen years of age. He is an
earnest Republican, taking a deep interest in public affairs, and is recognized
as one of the leading citizens of Seneca County. IVIrs. Rice is a literary writer,
contributing many valuable articles to the papers. She has been called upon
to deliver addj-esses before the Temple Grange, Masonic and Odd Fellow lodges,
Seneca County Farmers' Institute and other representative bodies. She is an
effective and popular writer, striking with force at the vices and follies of our
day. She was an active member of the well known woman's crusade against
the whisky traffic. Mr. and Mrs. Rice have three cottages at Lakeside camp
ground, one of them being the best in the place, and Mr. Rice is one of the
leading officers of that institution.
EDWIN J. SEIGLEY, deceased, was born in 1842, in Summit County,
Ohio, where his father, Joseph Seigley, still resides. In his boyhood he
attended Heidelberg College at Tiffin, Ohio, and resided for some time with his
brother, B. F. Seigley, in Bloom Township. Hfe was married, in September,
1862, to IVIiss Sarah Roller, who was born in Bloom Township, this county, in
1843, a daughter of Simon Koller. The children born to this union are Mrs.
Izora Y. Fry, Earl E. and Jessie M. Mr. and Mrs. Seigley resided in this
746 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:
township for three years, and then located at Mehnore, Eden Township, this
county, where he d'^ied in Angiist, 1807. His widow now resides at her home
north of Bloomville. She is a member of the Reformed Church, a lady of
exalted Christian character, respected and esteemed by all who know her. and
who has carefully reared her family to become intelligent, influential citizens of
JOHN SEITZ (deceased) was born in Eockmgham County, Va.. October J.b,
1790, and came to Fairfield County, Ohio, with his parents in 1801 . There he was
united in marriage, in 1811, with Miss Magdalena Spitler, a native of what is
now Page County, Va. They located permanently in Bloom Township, this
county. In 1823, Mr. Seitz having come out the previous year, bought lancl
and built a house, and named Bloom Township. Of the eight children bom
to this union four are now living: Abram (residing in Sacramento, Cal.), Lewis
(a resident of Wyandot County, Ohio), Daniel and Isaac. Foni- died in this
county: Mrs. Mary Perkey, Mrs. Anna Kagy, Josiah and Mrs. Elizabeth Bretz.
John Seitz was serving as county commissioner when the first court house was
built in Tiffin, in 1884, and filled the office of justice of the peace about fifteen
years. He died September 27, 1874, his wife having preceded him in 18()2.
They were upright pioneers and helped develop the resources of Seneca C'ounty,
and"^ their names will long be revered by the citizens of Bloom Township.
They were Primitive Baptists.
DANIEL SEITZ, farmer. P. O. Bloomville, a son of John and Magdalena
(Spitler) Seitz, was born May 5, 1825, the first white male child to seethe light
of day in Bloom Township, and now the oldest resident of the same. He
acquired his education in the old log schoolhouse within a few steps of his
father's home, and took part in the usual work that fell to the lot of the pio-
neers' sons of that early day. He married. February 4, 1862, Miss Barliara
E. Bretz, born in Bloom' Township, this county, September 12, 1834, a daugh-
ter of David and Frances Bretz, natives of Virginia, who also came here from
Fairfield County, Ohio, in early times. To this union were born Cassius M.
and Cora Belle (twins). Wade Hampton and Jesse W. After marriage Mr. and
Mrs. Seitz lived on the family homestead until 1874, when they moved to their
present farm adjoining, and here they have a fine farm of eighty-seven and a
half acres of well improved land. Mr. Seitz is an earnest Republican, having
cast his first vote for Van Buren for President. He has served the township
as trustee several terms. He is a worthy representative of one of the oldest
families in Bloom Township, and is a citizen of much influence.
ELDER LEWIS SEITZ. retired. Bloomville, was born October 21. 1802,
in Fairfield County, Ohio. His parents, Lewis and Anna (Beery) Seitz. natives
of Lancaster County. Penn. , were married in York County, and after living
eleven years in Rockingham County, Va., made a permanent settlement m
Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1801. fen of their fourteen children were born in
Virginia; all were married in Fairfield County, Ohio, and the youngest was
over fifty years of age before their, rank was broken by death, our subject and
his sistei-,'Mrs. Rebecca Friesner, of Shelby County. 111., being now the only
survivors. The others are resting " their life' s jom-ney o' er, " at various places
throughout Ohio and the West. Our subject married, August 24, 1823. Miss
Barbara Kagy, who died September 27. 1848, and of the fourteen children
born to this union, six are deceased. Mr. Lewis was baptized by an "Old
School" or Primitive Baptist the year following his marriage (March. 1824);
he moved to Bloomville Township, this county, October 17, 1825, and here be-
gan life in the wilderness; the Indians, who were quite numerous here at that
time, always found in him a warm friend. Elder Seitz, now in his eighty-third
BLOOM TOWNSHIP. 747
year, began preaching at twenty-five years of age. and has labored in the Lord's
vineyard ahnost continiiously ever since, and yet preaches one hour or more at a
stretch. He has traveled many miles through the dangers of a new country .
and asked for no compensation for his time. He was married, on second occa-
sion, January 10, 1849. to Mrs Martha Hershberger. who died September 22.
1883. Elder Seitz has cleared wp and developed a large farm: has led a very
active life, and his name will long be honored by the residents of Bloom Town-
AAEON SEITZ, farmer, P. O. Bloomville. was born March 12, 1844, in
Bloom Township, this county, and is a son of the pioneer Elder Lewis Seitz.
He was married October 24, 1864, to Miss Eliza Shock, born July 18. 1842, in
Bloom Towniship. this county, daughter of Jacoli Shock, a native of Stark
County, Ohio, and who early settled in Bloom Township, dying in ISTS. Mr.
and Mrs. Seitz settled where they now reside in 18(2, and here have a fine farm
of 186| acres of well- improved land. Their children are Irvin L., Alvin J.,
Mattie May, Myrtie Blanche. Our subject and his worthy wife are members
of the Primitive Baptist Church. Mr. Seitz is an enterprising farmer and a
citizen of strict integrity.
JOHN SHONTZ, proprietor of steam flouring-mill. Bloomville, was 'horn in
1823, in Stark County, Ohio. His father. Henry Shontz, of Bedford County,
Penn., was mai-ried to Sarah Williard, of Armstrong County, Penn. . and
moved to Stark County, Ohio, in 1823, thence to Jackson Township, this
county, in 1834, where they resided the remainder of their lives.
Mr. Shontz died in 1871, aged eighty-two, his wife having preceded
him in 1865, at the age of sixty-six years. Of their nine children our subject
is the foui-th. He married, December 16. 1847, Miss Rebecca Piinebolt. of
Loudon Township, this county, and to this union were born seven children,
now living: Mrs. Melissa Smith, Elias, Alpheus J.. Mrs. Angeline Hartline.Neri,
Arie and Lucinda. Mr. Shontz united with the German Baptist Church Sep-
tember 30, 1849; was elected to the office of deacon May 22, 1859; chosen to the
ministry October 1. 1860, and advanced to the second degree of the ministry
September 22. 1874. Diu'ingthis time he preached in several of the surround-
ing counties, having his home, however, located in the portage district until No-
vember 10, 1861, when he was stationed at the Seneca Church near Bloomville,
and at that time moved on his farm west of Bloomville. In June, 1878, he and
his son purchased the Koller Mill, north of Bloomville, which they operated un-
til the fall of 1879, when they built a large mill in Bloomville, the only grist
and flouring-mill in the toAvnship, and which they are now conducting, en-
joving a very extensive custom.
' MARTIN J. SPITLEE, farmer. P. O. Bloomville, was Ijorn May 10,
1824. in Fairfield County, Ohio. His parents. Jacob and Catharine (Seitz)
Spitler, natives of Shenandoah County, Va. , came to Fairfield County. Ohio,
about 1 802, where they grew up and were married. They located in Bloom
Township, this county, in 1850; were consistent members of the Primitive
Baptist Church. They were parents of seventeen children, fifteen of whom
attained maturity: Lewis; Mrs. Rachel Clevenger. a resident of Allen County.
Ohio; Mrs. Anna Mesnard (deceased); Mrs. Catharine Siple (deceased): Elder
Noah (deceased): Jacob, killed by lightning: Daniel: Benjamin: Mrs. Eliza-
beth Donald, of Iowa; Martin J. ; Mrs. Sophia Crawford, of Hancock County,
Ohio; Eli; Mrs. Lydia Pearsall (deceased): Mahala (deceased); Mrs. Emily
Einsel; and an infant (deceased). Jacob Spitler' s n.iseful life ended July 7,
1865, his wife having preceded him January 21, 1863. At their death they
left 127 descendants. They were an iipright pioneer couple; respected by all.
748 BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES:
Martin J. , our subject, located in Bloom Township, this county, in the fall of
1845. Here he married. July 24. 1853, Miss Mary E. Slee, of Crawford
County, Ohio, born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1826, coming to Crawford
County in 1837 with her parents, Francis and Mary Slee. who resided there
until death. ]\Ii-. and Mrs. Spitler have resided in Bloom Township, since
marriage, and on their present farm since April 10, 1873. Here they have a
fine property of 246 acres of well improved land. The names of their chil-
di-en are as follows: "Winfield Taylor; Mrs. Frances Ellen Segrist, of Hemy
County, Ohio; Fremont Dayton; Wilmot Hamlin; Brough Anderson; Nettie
Belle (deceased); Sherman Grant; Minnie Alice; and Foster. Mi-, and Mrs.
Spitler are members of the Primitive Baptist Church. They have acquired
their property entirely by their own industiy and good management. Mr.
Spitler is one of the few living original Kepublicans, which party he continues
FREDERICK SPONSELLER, farmer. P. O. Bloomville. was born Novem-
ber 11, 1815, in Stark County, Ohio. His father, John Sponseller, of Colum-
biana County, Ohio, was one of the earliest settlers of Stark County, Ohio,
going there when there were but two or three houses at Canton, and there he