Maberly Phillips.

A history of banks, bankers, & banking in Northumberland, Durham, and North Yorkshire, illustrating the commercial development of the north of England, from 1755 to 1894, with numerous portraits, facsimiles of notes, signatures, documents, &c online

. (page 30 of 57)
Online LibraryMaberly PhillipsA history of banks, bankers, & banking in Northumberland, Durham, and North Yorkshire, illustrating the commercial development of the north of England, from 1755 to 1894, with numerous portraits, facsimiles of notes, signatures, documents, &c → online text (page 30 of 57)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

is remarkably complicated, and from the important part that they or their
immediate relatives played in the history of the times, highly interesting. Their
relationships have been very difficult to unravel, and the exceptional frequency of
a change of family name has added to the task. The accompanying sheet, in
pedigree form, will best show the connection of many of the founders of the firm,
but fuller explanation is desirable.

Sir Alexander Davison, a merchant of Newcastle, and his son, Joseph, were
killed upon the walls of Newcastle, when gallantly defending the town against the
Scots, at the memorable siege in October, 1 644, Sir Alexander being then in his

£1,556,181 15


625,307 8

1,521,074 6


66,663 6




£3,784,570 12



8oth year. (For a fuller account see " Men of Mark/' by Richard Welford.) At
the time of his death, he was owner of the Blakiston estates, co. Durham. His son
Thomas married Elizabeth, daughter of William Lambton, of Lambton, and the
grandson of this union married for his first wife — Ann, daughter of Sir John Bland
of Kippax Park, co. York. Their son married Martha, daughter of William Hoar
of Limehouse, who inherited an estate in Middlesex. Thomas, the eldest son of
this marriage, born January 8th, 1744-5, was devisee of Miss Bland of Kippax
Park, and added her name to his own, and so became Thomas Davison-Bland, by
royal license dated at Whitehall, July 3rd, 1786, viz : —

" The King has been pleased to grant to Thomas Davison of Blakiston, in the county of Durham, Esq.,
His Eoyal License and Authority that he and his issue may assume and take the Surname of Bland,
and also bear the arms of Bland, pursuant to the Will of Anne Bland, late of Kippax Park, in the
county of York, Spinster, deceased, such arms being first duly exemplified according to the Laws of
Arms, and recorded in the Herald's Office ; and also to order that His Majesty's Concession and
Declaration be registered in the College of Arms."

Mr. Bland removed to Kippax Park, and became senior partner in the bank
under consideration (being first cousin to two of his partners — George and Wilham
Hoar). In April 1776, he married Anne, youngest of the three daughters and
co-heirs of Godfrey Meynell, Esq., of Yeldersley, co. Derby. The birth of one of
his children is announced thus : — ''On Tuesday se'night the lady of Thomas Davison-
Bland was safely delivered of a daughter at his seat, Kippax, Yorkshire." He died
April 27th, 1794, but appears to have previously retired from the bank. The
Blakiston property was subsequently sold to William Russell, Esq., of Brancepeth,
banker (Russell, Allan, and Wade). In Neal's " Views of Gentlemen's Seats,"
No. 53 is an engraving of Kippax Mansion.

It is a curious coincidence that at the same time that Messrs. Bland & Hoar
were partners in the Newcastle bank, the same names appear in the well-known
London banking firm of Barnett, Hoare, & Co. From " A History of the Ancient
Family of Bland," by Nicholas Carlisle, pubhshed in 1825, we find that the London
bankers were the Blands of Maidwell, co. Northampton. John Bland was of
Lombard Street, Goldsmith and Banker, and of Tottenham. His will is dated
January 6th, 1764, and was proved May 2nd, 1765. " The family appear to have
possessed the Religious Tenets of the Quakers, and whose calm and uniform Life,
is distmguished for Charity, Humanity, and General Benevolence." John Bland's
son. Stamper Bland, was a member of the London firm ; he was twice married but
died without issue in the life-time of his father. John, the third son of John Bland,
also joined the firm, and was of North End, Hampstead. He died very suddenly
on October 21st, 1878, aged 65. He married Margaret Bland, daughter of Michael
and Patience Bland of Bucklesbury. He left one daughter, Priscilla, who married



















^ <^



adS§.Jf- ^2

""°_: -S 2 2 >.=3 3

O—T^"*— < C CO ^hri ,o


I- O • 00 ffi-^







of Tw
ner in





£3 Q -tp -

— ri a 9 H



o o


CO l-^ ^ 'S "IJ O _ '


Charles Hanbury, Esq., of Halstead, Essex. No actual relationship is shown
between the two banking families of Bland, but the writer of the family history
considers that they came from a common ancestor.

George Hoar, the father of the partners in the bank (son of William Hoar of
Limehouse), was Deputy-Keeper (another account says Keeper) of the Jewels at

the Tower. Through
the courtesy of Sir
Michael Biddulph,
search has been made
for the date of his
appointment, but no
information can be ob-
tained regarding it, or
from whom he received
his position. His con-
nection with the North
appears to have arisen
from his marriage with
Frances, daughter of
William Sleigh of Stock-
ton. She died January
24th, 1 76 1, aged 31,
and was buried in
Stockton church, where
there is a monument to
her memory, a drawing
of which has been
The arms are Hoar


Sacred to the memory of Frances, the wife of George Hoar, Esq., and
daughter of William Sleigh, Esq., of this place, who, in the short space
of 31 years, graced a most amiable person with every virtue which can
adorn the longest life and procure esteem on earth, and finished her
course (Alas ! too early for our wishes) on the 24th January, 1761.
[Followed by 8 lines of verse.]

kindly supplied by the Vicar, the Rev. Henry Martin
impaling Sleigh.

The issue of this marriage was four sons, all of whom attained some celebrity,
and two of whom were partners in the bank.

I. WILLIAM HOAR — the seventh partner in the bank — born 1750,
Barrister-at-Law of the Middle Temple. He resided at Durham in 1788, and was
interested in some lead mines there. In 1806, he was appointed Recorder of
Durham, on the resignation of Sir Frederick N. Eden, Bart. Some little time
after the death of his brother Charles, in 18 10, he assumed the surname of
Harland. He resided for many years in the North Bailey, Durham, in the house
now occupied by John Fawcett, Esq. His death is announced in the Durham


Advertiser of November 22nd, 1833, ^s follows : — " In this City at his residence
in the Bailey on Saturday last, aged ^^, Wni. Harland, Esq., brother of the late
Sir Charles Hoar Harland, Bart., and father of William Charles Harland, Esq., one
of the representatives of this City in Parliament." He was buried in Durham
Cathedral. In the north transept a monument was erected to his memory,
bearing the following : —

" Sacred to the memory of William Harland, Esq., who died on the 16th November, 1833, aged 83 :
This monument is erected by his Widow and Children as a memorial of their affection and testimony
of his many virtues. Near this spot and in the same vault are deposited the remains of Anne, the
wife of William Harland, Esq,, who died the 16th day of January, 1842, aged 82."

Although Mr. Hoar assumed the name of Harland, he was known in Durham
to the majority of people as " Lawyer Hoar " until his death. There are a few-
gentlemen still residing in Durham who personally knew Mr. Hoar. His son,
William Charles Harland was returned for Durham, 1832, 1835, ^^id 1837. He
died at Sutton Hall, Yorkshire, March loth, 1863, aged 60. He married a sister
of the late R. D. Shafto of Whitworth, near Durham.

2. GEORGE HOAR, bom in 1754. In his youth he held a commission
in the service of the East India Company. He was afterwards an active partner
in Bland, Hoar, & Co., as will be seen in the account of the firm. He was then
of Twyford Lodge, near Winchester, co. Hants. After a further residence of some
years in India, he returned to England, and resided at Twyford. The amis borne
by the Twyford family were " Quarterly sable and gules over all eagle displayed
with two heads, argent within a bordure invecked counter changed."

" Crest. Eagle's head erased argent charged with three Ermine Spots
pendent from beak an amulet."

In the pedigree of the Hoare family by Edward Hoare, late Captain of the
North Cork Rifles, no mention is made of the Twyford family, though the writer
states that the family name has been variously spelled. In his notes at the end of
the book he writes : — " The Armorial Bearings of the family of Hore of Risdon, in
Devonshire, were sable, an eagle displayed with two necks, within a bordure
engrailed, argent. However, on the 17th of December, 1776, Henry Hoare, Esq.,
of Stourhead, in the county of Wilts., had his Armorial Bearings exemplified and
registered in the College of Arms, London, and an addition was then made thereto
of an ermine spot to both the arms and the crest. No members of the family
should bear the ermine spot on either the arms or the crest except those
directly descended from the second Sir Richard Hoare, Knight, Lord Mayor of
London in 1745, to whose descendants alone this grant extended." The coat
of arms depicted at Stockton in 1761, and the amis borne by the Twyford branch,


point strongly to the family being of the same ancestry as Sir Richard Hoare,
Knight, Lord Mayor of London in 1745.

The similarity of the arms here produced, and those affixed to the tablet
in Stockton Church, further point to a relationship between the families.

Mr. Hoar died at Twyford Lodge,
and was buried in the church there.
Upon a memorial tablet fixed on the
wall of the vestry of that church is the
following : — " Sacred to the memory of
George Hoar^ Esq., of Twyford Lodge,
who died on the ist of April, 1 831, in the
78th year of his age, and lies buried in
the same vault with his brother, Rear-
Admiral Sir Thomas Bertie, near to this
place. Also of Ann Russell Hoar,
relict of George Hoar, Esq., who died
February 5th, 1839, aged 76 years."

3. Charles, the third son of George
Hoar, married Ann, daughter of Philip
Harland of Sutton Hall. He assumed the
name of Harland, was created a Baronet
in 1808, and died without issue in 18 10.

4. Thomas, the youngest son, born at Stockton, July 3rd, 1758, married
Dorothy, daughter of Peregrine Bertie, Esq., of Low Layton, Essex. He entered
the navy, and commenced active service in October, 1773, on board the Seahorse,
in which vessel he had for his messmates. Nelson and Trowbridge, with whom an
intimate friendship was formed, which lasted through life. He greatly distinguished
himself in numerous engagements, and rose through various grades until May
28th, 1825, when he attained the rank of Admiral. He assumed the name of
Bertie, and was well-known as Admiral Sir Thomas Bertie. He died at Twyford
Hall, the residence of his brother. Upon a tablet on the wall of Twyford Church,
near the vestry door, is the following : — " Sacred to the memory of Sir Thomas
Bertie, Admiral of the Blue, who died June 14, 1825. In early life he was the
comrade of Nelson and Trowbridge, and proved himself not unworthy of having
been the associate of these great men. He was greatly distinguished in the hard-
fought battle of Copenhagen. And after a service of upwards of fifty years in
every quarter of the globe, by which his health was materially impaired, he


breathed his last in the house of his brother George Hoar, Esq., of Twyford Lodge,
regretted as a brave, upright, and honourable man, and dying in the firm and
confident hope of a blessed Resurrection." A plain flat stone, situated on one of
the paths leading to the south entrance door bears the following inscription, now
almost illegible from age, wear, &c. : — " Here lies the remains of Sir Thomas
Bertie, Admiral of the Blue, who departed this life June 14th, 1825, aged 66 years.
Also of his brother George Hoar, Esq., of Twyford Lodge, who departed this life
April ist, 1 83 1, aged 78 years. And of Ann Russel Hoar, relict of George
Hoar, Esq., who departed this life February 5th, 1839, aged 76 years."

Thus we see that three of the four sons of George Hoar, assumed other

RICHARD CHAMBERS.— The second of three sons of Robert Chambers,
a solicitor of Newcastle. He was a free brother of the Saddlers' Company, and
prior to the commencement of the bank was engaged in many businesses. On
February 2nd, 1760, he entered into partnership with Gabriel Hall, Saddler, and
Roger Heron, Hardwareman, of Newcastle, for the buying and selling of
hardware and other goods during seven years. The capital was ;^6,ooo, in
proportions of ^2,000 or ^ share to each. The business was to be carried on at
the shop and warehouse in Newcastle then occupied by Hall and Heron. In
another partnership deed, dated June 3rd, 1763, Gabriel Hall, Saddler ; Thomas
Swinhoe, Skinner and Glover ; Roger Heron, Hardwareman ; Richard Chambers,
Hardwareman ; John Thompson, Gentleman ; and Hannah Weatherley, Spinster,
all of Newcastle, agree to become partners in the trade of dressing sheep, deer,
and other skins into oil leather for seven years. The capital was /i,2oo,
contributed in the following proportions : — Gabriel Hall, ;^45o, or | ; Thomas
Swinhoe, ;^3oo, or |; and the other partners £iso, or ^ each ; business to be
carried on at the house and yard in Pilgrim Street, and the house and mill on
Beamish Burn, where a like trade had been carried on by Gabriel Hall & Co.
Richard Chambers was also partner with Mr. David Landell in the hardware
trade. In December, 1784, he was appointed Sheriff of Newcastle, and in May,
^795) was created an Alderman under very peculiar circumstances, five gentlemen
(many of them bankers) having preferred to decline the honour, and accept the
penalty inflicted (namely, a fine of two hundred marks — ^133 6s. 8d.) rather than
wear the Aldermanic gown. '' The next year his affairs became embarrassed. His
partnership in the bank was dissolved, insolvency followed, and heavy losses were
incurred by numbers of industrious persons. After the failure, he went to
London, started business afresh, and there he died December 23rd, 1806, aged


It was probably through his brothers, Robert and WiHiam, that he became
intimate with so many gentlemen that were or had been connected with India.
Robert, his elder brother, became Sir Robert Chambers, Judge in the Supreme
Court of Judicature in Bengal. He married the beautiful Miss Wilton, only
daughter of Joseph Wilton, R.A. Sir Robert was a great linguist, and when at
Oxford numbered Burke, Goldsmith, Johnson, and Garrick amongst his intimate
friends. He was the actor in the story of the snails told by Lord Eldon.
" I had a walk in New Inn Hall Garden with Dr. Johnson, Sir Robert Chambers,
and some other gentlemen. Sir Robert was gathering snails, and throwing them
over the wall into his neighbour's garden. The doctor reproached him very
roughly, and stated to him that this was unmannerly and unneighbourly. ' Sir,'
said Sir Robert, ' my neighbour is a Dissenter.' ' Oh ! ' said the doctor, ' if so,
Chambers, toss away, toss away, as hard as you can ! ' " " William Chambers was
a celebrated linguist, and acted as interpreter in his brother's court."

WILLIAM SMOULT was a relative of Chambers. He appears to have
resided in India while he was a partner in the bank. " His abilities gained him
distinction, and he was employed in some important undertakings. He was one
of the founders of the Asiatic Society, and a paper of his, entitled, ' Remarks made
during a voyage and journey from Bengal to Alexandria, by way of the Red Sea,
the Isthmus of Suez, the Monastery of Mount Sinai, Grand Cairo, &c.,' was read
before the Literary Society of Newcastle in 1824 — twenty-eight years after his
death." St. George's Chapel in St. Nicholas' Church, Newcastle, contains a
tablet to his memory, bearing the following inscription : — "Sacred to the Memory
of William Smoult, Esq., a worthy native of this town, who after a long residence in
Bengal, returned with Health much impaired in the year 1794, and died here on
nth Day of February in the year of our Lord 1796, in the 39th year of his Age.
He was a man of strict Integrity and amiable Manners whose loss was much
regretted by Many but most lamented by his afflicted Widow who caused this
Monument to be erected."

Of DAVID LANDELL and DAVID ASHWORTH I have no information.

The various members of the Lambton and Fenwick families who have been
partners in the firm are enumerated on the first page of the account of this
bank. Their personal history is so easily obtained from other sources, that it
is unnecessary to reproduce it here.

ROBERT HOPPER WILLIAMSON was descended from the family of
Hopper of the County Palatine. He married the heiress of Dr. Williamson of
Whickham and assumed that name in addition to his own. He was a



George Fenwich.
Thomas W. Bulman.

Ralph John Lambton.
Thomas Fenwich.

jfoh Bulman.
Hugh Fenwich,


barrister-at-law, and was elected Recorder of Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1794,
which appointment he resigned in 1829. In 1819, Bishop Barrington appointed
him his temporal chancellor of Durham. He practised as a chamber counsel for
many years,his opinions being held in the highest esteem. He died at his residence
in Clavering Place, Newcastle, January 13th, 1835, in the 8ist year of his age,
and was interred at Whickham. A monument to his memory was erected in St.
Nicholas' Church, Newcastle.

JOB BULMAN, "a medical man who returned to England, after a prosperous
career in India, with a professional friend who had been medical adviser to the
Nabob of Arcot. His friend purchased land near Cramlington, and erected Arcot
Hall. Mr. Bulman bought land at Gosforth, and built Coxlodge Hall." Some of
the land was afterwards sold for building sites. The houses erected there were at
first locally known as "The Buildings" until "about the year 1830, when the
builder, Mr. Robson of Wideopen, by direction of Mr. Cuthbert Burnup of
Newcastle, cut the words " Bulman Village " on the house at the south-west
corner of North Cross Street. The intention evidently was to compliment the
landowner, Mr. Bulman, and hand down his name to posterity. From that date,
Bulman Village became the name of the locality, and, as we know, continued so
to be until 1872, when the Government, in settling the boundaries of the Local
Board district, refused to recognise it."* Mr. Bulman died February, 18 18, his
property passing to his son. Job James Bulman. In 1832, Coxlodge Hall, and
about 30 acres of land were sold to Mr. JOHN ANDERSON, a partner in the same
bank, for ^7,225. Mr. Anderson died in 1859.

THOMAS WILLIAM BULMAN, son of Job James, became a partner in the
bank in 186 1. He married Jane Anne, daughter of Wm. Isaac Cookson, Esq., and
for some time owned and resided at Whitley Park, where he made extensive
improvements. He died June 14th, 1879, after a short illness, at the age of 49.

Mr. JOHN STEAVENSON appears to hold the unenviable position of having
been the only banker among those under notice who fought a duel. A Newcastle
paper for October 4th, 1832, states : —

" On Thursday morning last, a hostile meeting took place on the town-moor
here between John Steavenson, Esq., banker, and William A. Surtees, Esq., the
late Sheriff of the town ; the former was attended by J. L. Hood, Esq., and the
latter by William Forster, Esq. After an exchange of shots, the affair terminated
by Mr. Hood withdrawing his friend, Mr. Steavenson, from the ground.

♦ Welford's " History of Gosforth."


2)rc0«er, 3o0epb, d do. ixbtrsft.

Founded between Partners. Transferred to Yorkshire

1820 AND 1830. District Banking Co. in 1835.

Information incomplete.

FOR an account of this bank I am indebted to a bank manager — still in
harness — who fifty-six years ago (then a lad of nineteen) entered a
banking establishment at Thirsk. He says : — " I remember the opening
of the bank of Joseph Dresser & Co. in Kirkgate, Thirsk, in m}^ boyhood.
Joseph Dresser was the thriving owner, I believe, of the Water Corn Mill, near
Top Cliffe, which has still a large business. He carried it on, and was reputed to
rule the Com Market of Thirsk and Ripon ; and I remember he was said to have
a wonderful memorj^, and would go into the market and buy of a number of
farmers without making notes of either prices or quantities. His son Henry had
banking experience, I think, in Hull, and became the manager at Thirsk. He
was in the firm. Another member of it was Mr. Tetley, of Asenby, near Top
Cliffe, a quiet. Christian gentleman, who Was looking for our Lord's advent, and
' had a knife and fork laid for Him ' if He should come. Dresser & Co. ere long
joined the ' Yorkshire Banking Co.' "

The transfer was effected on February 17th, 1835. Mr. Henry Dresser took
the management at Thirsk on behalf of the Yorkshire District Banking Company.
The business of the latter firm w^as, in 1843, taken over by the Yorkshire
Banking Company, Mr. Henry Dresser being appointed manager of the head
office at Leeds.

2)unn, Benjamin. Durbam.

Founded prior to 1779. Proprietor, Termination unknown.

Benjamin Dunn.

BENJAMIN DUNN is named in the books of Messrs. Backhouse & Co. in
April, 1779. From the same record it appears that Messrs. Oj'ston & Dunn
of Durham were acting as note agents for Messrs. Backhouse from 1778
to 1780. The British Directory for 1790 has — Benjamin Dunn, Mercer, Draper,

__^______ [^64]

and Banker. Reference to Mr. Dunn is made in the papers of Lambton & Co.,
Newcastle-upon-Tyne. On June 23rd, 1790, Mr. Chambers, one of the partners,
writes to Mr. Fenwick complaining 'of Mr. Dunn of Durham demanding his
payment in gold. Among some paid vouchers of Surtees, Burdon, & Co.,
Newcastle, on Barclay & Co., London, are two bills drawn to the order of
Benjamin Dunn, dated-March 19th, 1800 — one at 60 d/d
for £92^ 1 8s. — the other 50 d/d for ;^7oo. Both drafts
are endorsed by Benjamin Dunn with an ingenious ^-<-a/-c//7-,
signature of which a copy is produced.

In November, 1760, Mr. Benjamin Dunn was chosen Alderman for the city of

}8l6tob, Xuke. stocftton.

Founded prior to 1779. Partners. Termination unknown.

Information incomplete.

THE Day Book of Messrs. Backhouse & Co., bankers, Darlington, shows that
in February, 1779, Luke Elstob was acting as their Agent at Stockton
for the circulation of their notes. On February 2nd one hundred Five
Guinea notes were advanced to him. Many transactions of a similar nature are
subsequently recorded.

The books of Messrs. R. and J. Campion, bankers, at Whitby, show that in
1807-8 they were doing banking business with Messrs Smith, Elstob, & Co., of

Among some paid vouchers of Surtees, Burdon, & Co., Newcastle, on
Barclay & Co., London, are two bills drawn to the order of Smith, Elstob, & Co.,
one dated 6th March, 1802, at 10 d/d, for £649 is. id. ; another dated November
20th, 1802, at 10 d/d, for £1,076 i8s. 6d. Both drafts are endorsed over to
Harrison & Co. and duly receipted by them. They were probably the London
Agents for Smith, Elstob, & Co.

A copy ofthe signature upon the back ^ ^ ^^3^y ^ V/O
of the draft named is here shown. ^^i^Tt^^^^rA^ iPt^^o ^ ^ o^


jfenton, Scott, IRicbolaon, d Smitb.

Founded prior to 1793.



Extinct prior to 1816.


Lucas Nicholson.
— Smith.

A York newspaper for March 3rd, 1793, contains the following announce-
ment : —

"We are authorised from Benjamin Swineyard, Esq., His Majesty's Collector of Excise, to inform the
public that he will receive nothing but Cash, Bank of England notes, and the three York Bank notes,
and Thirsk Bank notes in payment for the King's taxes, this and every ensuing round."

Probably Messrs. Fenton, Scott, & Co. were the bank referred to, as in the
list of country banks for 1805 they are the only firm announced at Thirsk, their
London Agents being Messrs. Boldero & Co. A £c^ 5s. note of theirs dated
5th March, 1806, signed for Fenton, Scott, Nicholson, & Smith — Lucas Nicholson
— is an interesting example of the "optional" note.

It will be seen that the issuers promise to pay " in Bank of England Notes
or Cash." This is the only instance that has come under notice of an " optional "
note of that nature having been used in the North of England. The circumstance is
made more remarkable by the note being issued during the time that the Bank of

Online LibraryMaberly PhillipsA history of banks, bankers, & banking in Northumberland, Durham, and North Yorkshire, illustrating the commercial development of the north of England, from 1755 to 1894, with numerous portraits, facsimiles of notes, signatures, documents, &c → online text (page 30 of 57)