Maine Historical Society.

Collections of the Maine historical society (Volume 1) online

. (page 14 of 34)
Online LibraryMaine Historical SocietyCollections of the Maine historical society (Volume 1) → online text (page 14 of 34)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


entv members, of whom seven were deacons. After



190 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

the settlement of Mr. Miller, however, it gradually
partook of a mixed character, and in 1769 he declared
himself a Congregationalist. As this change was of
no moment, except in the particular manner of church
government, which was always the most consonant
with free principles in jDolitics, as well as in religion,
the members of the church presently became hearty
in the alteration ; and for many years the minister,
church and people enjoyed a fellowship evincive of
mutual happiness. But it seems that Mr. Miller,
though a sound preacher, lacked the flaming zeal and
lively emotions which so marvelously captivate the
common people ; a lack that operated as an inlet to
lay exhorters, and occasioned trouble to the minister
and many others. An altercation ultimately ensued;
the leaven of lay preaching was found to have power-
fully affected the community ; and it was two full
years from June, 1786, when the question of his dis-
mission was first discussed in church and town, before
they concurred in an affirmative. This long and tedi-
ous agitation and unexpected result probably had a
deleterious influence upon his spirits and health, and
before a council was assembled upon the subject, Mr.
Miller, in the latter part of the year 1788, deceased
in Boston.

REV. PETER THATCHER SMITH.

Rev. Peter Thatcher Smith, Harvard College,
1753, was ordained September 23, 1762, the second min-
ister settled in Windham, whose predecessor was the
Rev. Mr. Wright. At that time there were only thir-



SKETCHES OF THE LIVES OF EARLY MAINE MINISTERS. 191

tj-niiie families in the whole town. Mr. Smith was
the second son of the famous minister, Rev. Thomas
Smith, Portland. He moved to Windham in Decem-
ber, 1755, and resided there when he was ordained.
He was a man of good abilities, sound in the faith,
and sedate in life. At times he exhibited some of his
father's ingenuity. For when he preached for his
father in Portland, December 10, 1775, after the con-
flagration of that beautiful village, he selected for his
text this striking passage of Scripture : " When he saw
the city he wept over it." He continued in the min-
istry till he was nearly sixty years old, being dismissed
in 1790 by mutual consent. He was afterward a re-
spectable magistrate in Windham, where he died in
1827, at the advanced age of ninety-six, leaving a
pious life and a good name as pillars of his worth.

REV. THOMAS PIERCE.
Rev. Thomas Pierce, Nassau Hall, 1759, was or-
dained at Newburyport, by the Boston Presbytery, in
the autumn of 1762, the second settled minister of
the first parish in Scarboro, his predecessor, Rev.
William Thompson, having more than three years pre-
viously departed this life. The soul of Mr. Pierce
was so enriched and enlightened with the graces of
the Master, and he had rendered himself, when previ-
ously preaching on probation, so acceptable to the
church and people by his superior gifts and qualifica-
tions that they cheerfully consented to Presbyterian
forms for the sake of sitting under his ministry. A
garden like his charge, timely sown with good seed.



192 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

and cultivated with pains and prayers, will assuredly
bear fruits as well as blossoms. Even the stones and
thorns will submit to a removal by persevering skill.
The labor and faith of Mr. Pierce are memorials which
time has not effaced. In his life, though not a long
one, he secured for himself strong attachments, and in
his death, which occurred January 26, 1775, he was
wept by many mourners.

KEV. JOHN FAIRFIKLD.

Rev. John Fairfield, Harvard College, 1757,
was ordained over a church of ten members, the first
settled minister of the present Saco, on the twenty-
seventh of October, 1762. That town was originally
a part of Biddeford, both being united till April, 1752,
in all their municipal and parochial afiliirs. A meet-
ing-house was erected that year, on the east side of
the river, not far from the Falls, and finished in 1755,
and in 1762, before Mr. Fairfield was settled, the ter-
ritory and inhabitants on the south side of the Saco
were formed into a parish, or district, and on the ninth
of June, 1772, incorporated the town of Pepperel-
borough, a name changed in 1803 to Saco.

Mr. Fairfield probably descended from an ancestor
of both his christian and surnames, -who died in 1691,
at Boston. His grandson, John Fairfield, was elected
in 1839 the governor of Maine, a young man who was
a lawyer, had been a reporter of decisions, and a mem-
ber of Congress, highly respected for his talents, firm-
ness and statesmanship.

William Fairfield, the grandfather of our minister,



SKETCHES OF THE LIVES OF EARLY MAINE MINISTERS. 193

resided in Windham, near Salem, Mass., represented
his town in the general court twenty-seven years, in
nine of which he presided as speaker of the House.
He died in 1742, at the age of eighty years. His old-
est son William settled in Boston, where he died in
1770, leaving six children, the second of whom was he
who is the subject of this sketch. Previously to his
settlement he preached in the townhouse at Arrowsick
Island, in Scarboro, and at Dunstable, Mass. ; and on
the twentieth of July, 1762, he was married to Mrs.
Mary, daughter of Ichabod Goodwin, Esq., Berwick,
and widow of Foxwell Curtis Cutts. She died April
16, 1774, leaving a family consisting of a son and five
daughters. He was subsequently twice married. He
was settled for life, his remuneration being one thou-
sand pounds settlement and six hundred pounds salary,
old tenor.^

The ministry of Mr. Fairfield continued thirty-six
years. " Possessing a thorough acquaintance with the
sacred volume, he infused its spirit into his discourses,
which were prepared by him with the utmost care,
and written in a style not unworthy his reputation as
a scholar." But he unfortunately fell, with other min-
isters of the age, into the half-way covenant, whereby
parents made a formal confession of faith, and then
had their children baptized, as if that was a saving
ordinance. Of this order there were, during his pas-
torate one hundred and seventy-seven semi-covenant-
ers, and seven hundred and seventy-eight baptisms,
while there were only nine admitted to full member-

> Equal to $444.44, settlement, and $266.66, salary.

Vol. VI. 14



194 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

ship in the church. He lived always in great fellow-
ship with Rev. Mr. Morrill of Biddeford, they alter-
nately spending every Monday together at each other's
house, in religious conversation. It also appears that
" perfect harmony prevailed between him and his peo-
ple." But he preached not sufficiently in demonstra-
tion of the spirit. Too late he found the trump of
alarm better to break the slumber of sinners than the
harp of heaven to lure them thither. The conquests
he was instrumental in making under his Master's ban-
ner were so few and far between, that he, at his own
request, was in July, 1798, regularly dismissed. He
was never afterward settled, and his death is recorded
December 16, 1819, while he was in the eighty-third
year of his age. Of him in connection with his people
it is said, '' no root of bitterness ever sprang up to
mar the pleasures of a constant intercourse, on terms
of the strictest intimacy."

REV. PAUL COFFIN.

Rev. Paul Coffin, Harvard College, 1759, was or-
dained March 16, 1763, the first settled minister of
Buxton, nine years before it was incorporated. He
was a man of strong mind, and great perseverance,
and distinguished piety, and though he entered upon
his ministry in an obscure place of only twenty fam-
ilies, he became an eminent divine, as he was always
a good scholar. For fifty-four years he performed all
the ministerial labors devolving upon him in church
and parish ; and so ably did he acquit himself as a
theologian, that his Alma Mater conferred on him a



SKETCHES or THE LIVES OF EARLY MAINE MINISTERS. 195

doctorate's degree. After he became aged and infirm,
however, it pleased his people in October, 1818, to set-
tle a colleague, when he gave up his salary. His life
was continued to June 6, 1821, when he died full of
years and full of blessings. He had a family, a son
Charles and a daughter, who married Dr. Royal Brews-
ter ; both settled in the same town.

It is understood that Dr. Coffin was born in Buxton,
England. After he graduated he kept school in Kings-
ton, N. H., Kennebunk and Saco, and early in 1761
he began to preach in Buxton (then Narraganset, No.
1). His son Charles, Dartmouth College 1799, is a
counselor-at-law. The doctor, fond of a, rural, retired
life, ventured into the wilderness as a valiant soldier
of the crops, and no one labored more toward chang-
ing it into a state of culture, while he was untiring in
his efforts to give society the bright characteristics of
intelligence, morality and religion.

REV. EDWARD BROOKS.

Rev. Edward Brooks, Harvard College 1757, was
ordained the fourth of July, 1764, the third settled
minister of North Yarmouth, the successor of the ex-
cellent Mr. Loring. He was the descendant of Capt.
Thomas Brooks, Concord, Mass., whose son Caleb set-
tled in Medford, and died there 1696. From him
branched the family of Gov. Brooks, and Samuel,
Caleb's son, it is believed, was the father of our minis-
ter, whose son was Hon. Peter C. Brooks of Boston.
The wife of Rev. Mr. Brooks was the daughter of Rev.
John Brown, ordained in 1719, minister of Haverhill,
Massachusetts.



196 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Rev. Mr. Brooks was a very worthy man, perhaps
better fitted for labor in the world than in the church.
It is no crime to hold rubies if the heart is not set on
them. So a minister may love the fleece if he love
the flock infinitely better. In a few years dissatisfac-
tion began to germinate, which ultimately overran his
whole parish. A council sat upon the case in Novem-
ber, 1768, and though the accusers failed to support
their specific charges against Mr. Brooks, the council
advised him to accept of fifty pounds legal money,
and be dismissed ; and in five months afterward he
left his parish and returned to Medford, where he died.
Happy would it be for men could they know in early
life the employment and sphere in which they could
acquit themselves to the greatest advantage, and most
to the acceptance of their Divine Master.



HALLOWELL RECORDS.

COMMUNICATED BY DR. W. B. LAPHAM.
rContiuuecl from page 100.]

Benjamin Haslet, son of James and Ruth Haslet, was born in
Portsiiiouth, New Hampshire, April 15, 1787. Came to reside in
this town .July 4, 1809. Married Sally, daughter of Aaron and
Hannah Hinkley of this town. Their children are : —

Caroline, b. June 3, 1812.

George Washington, b. Dec. 2, 1813.

Sarah, b. Sept 2, 1815.

James Richard, b. May 31, 1817.

The children of .Fohn Megroth and Elizabeth his wife : —

Elizabeth, b. Aug. 28. 1801.
John, b. Sept. 5, 1804.



HALLO WELL RECORDS. 197

Thomas Heath, b. June 23, 1808.
Sally Ann, b. May 31, 1811.

Mr. Megroth died December, 1813 at headquarters, Plattsburg.

Sullivan Kendall, sou of Levi and Sally Kendall, was born in
Athol, state of New Hampshire, January 8, 1787. Came to re-
side in this town April 27, 1807, Married Deborah, the widow
relict of Isaac Newton, whose native place was Exeter, New
Hampshire. Mrs. Kendall died August 20, 1809, and Mr. Ken-
dall married Susan, daughter of Samuel and Lois Stevens of
Readfield, April 3, 1811. Mr. Sullivan Kendall died February,
1853 Mrs. Susanmih Kendall dieil, 1863. Their children are : —

Emeliue, b, Feb. 25, 1812; d. Dec. 25, 1812.

Mary Vaughn, b. Feb. 25, 1814.

Julia Ann, b. Sept. 19, 1815; d. Apr. 3, 1845.

William Sullivan, b. Oct. 16, 1818.

Samuel Prescott, b. Mar. 4, 1823.

Levi Newall, b. Dec. 22, 1825; d. 1861.

John Davis, son of Aaron Davis, was born in Lee, county of
Strafford, state of New Hampshire, October 9, 1785. Came to
reside March 27, 1805, in this town. Married Mary, daughter of
Benjamin and Silence White of Hallowell. Their children are :

Thomas Baker, b. Aug. 1, 1808.

George White, b. Mar. 9, 1810; d. at sea July, 1832.

Mary, b. June 5, 1812.

John Hasam, b. July 10, 1815.

Benjamin Franklin, b. May 31, 1818.

Lois, b. Aug. 13, 1820.

Adison T., b. Oct. 12, 1823.

Charles Henry, b. Oct. 7, 1825.

Frances Toesor, b. Nov. 27, 1827.

Samuel, b. Nov. 20, 1830.

Ann Elizabeth, b. Feb. 1, 1832.

Mr. John Davis died January 17, 1863.

Samuel Tenney, son of hlnoch and Jane Tenney, was born in

Rowley, county of Essex, Massachusetts, September 1, 1787.

Married Snlly, daughter of Benjamin and Abigail Stickney of

Hallowell, November 5, 1809. Came with his family to this

town June, 1810. Their children are : —

Enoch Alonzo, b. Nov. 6. 1810.
Abigail, b. Aug. 18, 1813.



198 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Nehemiah Hilton, sob of Benjamin Hilton (formerly of Exeter,
state of New Hampshire), was born in Parsonsfielcl, county of
York, December 23, 1770. Came to reside in Hallowell 1794.
Married Ruth, daughter of Enoch and Mary Crowell of this
town. Their children are : —

Charles Augustus, b. Nov. 16, 1800; d. Oct. 7, 1801.

Mary Elizabeth, b. May 23, 1802.

Henry Augustus, b. Dec. 28, 1803.

Nehemiah John, b. Sept. 30, 1806.

Charles Edward, b. Oct. 10, 1816.

Enoch Crowell, b. Apr. 1, 1820.

Benjamin, b. Sept. 13, 1824.

Ancil Nye, son of Elisha and Lucy Nye, married Dolly,
daughter of Ebenezer and Susanna Bachelder of Boston, Sep-
tember 10, 1795. Their children are: —

William, b. July 24, 1796; d. Mar. 18, 1861.
George, b. July 1-5, 1798; d. Mar. 8, 1799.
George Albert, b. Feb. 25, 1806.

Captain Ancil Nye died .July 6, 1847.

Page Hilton, son of Benjamin Hilton, by his second wife, was
born June 27, 1796, in this town.

Daniel Day, son of Aaron and Sarah Day, was born in Ipswich,
county of Essex, Massachusetts, January 3, 1761. Married
Sarah, daughter of Jonathan and Abigail Ross, of said Ipswich.
Came with his family to this town, July, 1795. Their children
are: —

Sarah, b. Jan. 25, 1786, in Ipswich.

Susan, b. Mar. 19, 1789, in Ipswich.

Daniel, b. June 9, 1792, in Ipswich.

Abigail, b. Nov. 20, 1794, in Ipswich.

Joanna, b. Dec. 5, 1797, in Hallowell.

Eliza, b. Sept. 15. 1800.

Mary Ann, b. Feb. 14, 1803.

Martha, b. Jan. 13, 1808.

Samuel Weston, son of Nathan and Elizabeth Weston, was
born in Hallowell, November 1, 1785. Married Sarah, daughter
of Daniel and Sarah Day of this town. Mr. Weston died Janu-
ary, 1845. Their children are: —

Samuel Bancroft, b. Sept. 22, 1814.

Henry, b. July 29, 1816.

Nathaniel Cheever, b. Feb. 28, 1820.



HALLOWELL RECORDS. 199

Peter Currier, son of Seth and Alice Currier, was born in
Amesbury, September, 1780. Married Abigail, daughter of
William and Hannah Pecker of said Amesbury. Came with liis
family to Hallowell, July 4, 1812. Their children are: —

Abigail and Eliza, b. May 27, 1808, in Amesbury.
William Pecker, b. Feb. 10, 1810, in Amesbury.
George Sargeant, b. May 24, 1813, in Hallowell.
Seth Sargeant, b. Jan 2G, 1816.
Alfred, b. Aug. 15, 1818.
Orlando, b. Nov. 25, 1822.
Henry, b. Feb. 4, 1826.

John Patrick Egan, son of Timothy Egan and Bridget Mang-
ham, his wife, was born in Kilculenbridge, county of Kildare in
Ireland, March 17, 1755. Married Catherine, daughter of George
and Mary Fleming, who was born in Ross, county of Wexford,
Ireland. Came to America, August 10, 1793. Came with his
family to Hallowell, May 4, 1797. Mr. Egan died February 19,
1829. Mrs. Egan died 1844. Their children are : —

George, b. Oct. 25, 1780, in Kilculenbridge.

Mary, b. Oct. 24, 1782, in Queen's County.

Bridget, b. Oct. 26, 1784.

Nancy, b. Oct. 20, 1792.

Sally, b. Dec. 16, 1798, in Hallowell.

Benjamin, b. Oct. 11. 1802.

Timothy, b. Apr. 2, 1806.

Thomas Laughton, son of John Laughton, was born in Groton,
Massachusetts, March 29, 1772. Married Polly, daughter of
Amos Adams of Norridgewock, who was born February 26, 1775.
Came to this town with his family 1804. Their children are : —

Sally, b. Feb. 20, 1893, in Norridewock.
Polly, b. Mar. 20, 1795, in Norridgewock.
Sylvanus, b. Apr. 9, 1797, in Norridgewock.
Roca, b. Nov. 23, 1799, in Norridgewock.
Emma, b. July 8, 1802, in Norridgewock.
Harriet, b. Oct. 8, 1805, in Hallowell.
Thomas, b. June 26, 1808.
Olive, b. May 17, 1811.
Daniel, b. Nov. 2, 1816.

Thomas Dennis, son of John Dennis and Salome Hodgkins,



200 MAINE HISTORICAL- SOCIETY.

his wife, was born in Ipswich, Massachusetts, November 28, 1787.
Came to reside in this town March, 1801, Married Hann;ih,
daughter of Lemuel and Hannah Walker of Kennebunk. Their
children are : —

Hannah, b. Sept, 22, 1814.
Emeline, b. May 31, 1818,
William Eugene, b. July, 1824.

Mrs, Hannah Dennis died August 28, 1825, and Mr. Dennis
married Abigail, daughter of Jonathan Davenport, May 13,1828,
by whom he had

Julia Caroline, b. Apr. 16, 1829.

Joseph Ham, son of Thomas and Minah Ham, was born in
Durham, in New Hampshire, May 14, 1777. Married Patty,
daughter of Gould and Dolly French of Epping, New Hamp-
shire, Came to this town with his family in 1800. Their chil-
dren are : —

Almira, b. Dec, 1800.

James Madison, b. Sept. 26, 1803.

Benjamin, b. Oct. 4, 1806; d. Sept. 14, 1808.

Mrs, Patty Ham died October 21, 1807, and Mr, Ham married
Joanna, daughter of Samuel and Tabitha Babcock of Augusta.
Their children are : —

Martha, b. Jan. 28, 1809,
Joanna, b. July 1, 1813.
Joseph, b. Aug. 14, 1815.
Mercy, b. Jan. 16, 1818.

Peter Osgood, son of Stephen and Mary Osgood, was born in
Tewksbury, Massachusetts, January, 5, 1782. Came with his
father's family to this town, 1797. Married Lucia, daughter of
William and Charity Drew of Kingston, Massachusetts. Their
children are : —

Edward William, b. May 10, 1814.
Lucia, b. Mar, 15, 1816,
Elvira, b, Nov, 25, 1817.
Theodore, b. Sept, 16, 1819.



PROCEEDINGS. 201



PROCEEDINGS.

October 20, 1892.

Columbian Quadricentennial celebration.
Meeting at the Society's library, Baxter Hall.
Proceedings in full, see Vol. IV., Series II.

December 9, 1892.

A meeting of the Society was held in the library,
President Baxter in the chair. The Librarian and Cabi-
net Keeper, Mr. Bryant, read his report of accessions.

A paper on Fort Pentagoet of Castine, was con-
tributed by Dr. George A. Wheeler of Castine, which
was read by Dr. Charles E. Banks. Copies of the
original plans of the Fort were exhibited. Remarks
were made by Messrs. Baxter, Burrage, Thayer, Brown
and others.

Rev. Henry 0. Thayer read a paper on the Ancient
Settlement of Cork on the Kennebec.

Remarks were made by Messrs. Baxter, Burrage
and Cummings, relative to the early settlement and
its destruction,

Mr. P. M. Reed of Bath, read a paper on Arrowsic
in the Seventeenth Century.

Mr. John S. Locke of Saco, read a carefully pre-
pared sketch of the life and labors of his ancestor,
the Rev. Simon Locke of Lyman, Maine.



202 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Rev. Dr. Burrage made some interesting statements
concerning the Rev. Mr. Locke.

At the evening session Rev. E. C. Cummings read
portions of letters of the Rev. Sebastian Rasles, which
he had translated, showing the life of the missionary
as depicted by himself.

Some discussion followed the paper by Messrs. Bax-
ter, Burrage, Dal ton and Thayer.

A paper, the material for which had been gathered
by the late Rev. Amasa Loring, was read by his son,
Mr. Lincoln R. Loring. It was entitled. An Account
of the Rise and Fall of Cochranism in York County,
Maine. The paper was listened to with interest and
brought out an animated discussion by Rev. Dr. Dal-
ton, Dr. A. K. P. Meserve, George F. Emery, Dr.
Charles E. Banks and others.

On motion of Dr. Burrage, votes of thanks were
passed for the papers read at both sessions and copies
were requested for the archives.



May 4, 1893.

Baxter Hall, recently refitted for the Society's use
as their library and audience room, was reopened at
2.30 P.M., President Baxter in the chair. A report of
gifts made to the Society's cabinet was read by the
Cabinet Keeper.

A paper on the Life and Work of Dr. Fordyce Bar-
ker of New York, a native of Maine, was read by
George F. Talbot.

The late Edward H. El well having left among his



PROCEEDINGS. 203

papers a manuscript which he had prepared to be read
before the Society, entitled The Origin of onr Demo-
cratic Institution in New England, it was read by his
son, Edward H. Elwell, Jr.

A biographical sketch of the late Augustus G.
Lebroke of Piscataquis County, was contributed by
Mr. John F. Sprague of Monson, and read by Rev. Dr.
Burrage. The Librarian acknowledged the receipt of
a manuscript contribution concerning families in Leb-
anon, Maine, from Mr. George W. Chamberlain and the
same was accepted with thanks.

Mr. William A. Goodwin having contributed a copy
of his Grandfather Ichabod Goodwin's Military Jour-
nal in the American Revolution, with an introduction
by himself, it was presented by Rev. Dr. Burrage,
who read the introduction.

Votes of thanks were passed for the papers read
and contributed.

In the evening Baxter Hall was open to the public
generally and many were present.

May 24, 1893.

A meeting of the Society was held in Baxter Hall,
and the chair was taken at 8 p. m. by the President.
Attention was called to a handsome mantel clock once
owned by the patriot, John Hancock, the gift of the
Right Rev. James A. Healy, bishop of Portland, also
to a marine cutlass or broadsword taken from the
British Brig Boxer in 1813, the gift of Benjamin F.
Harris, Esq.



204 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Votes of thanks were passed to the donors of these
interesting relics.

A paper entitled Historical Inaccuracies was read
by Mr. George F. Emery. It was in the nature of a
critique of certain historical and genealogical publica-
tions of the present day abounding in errors.

Mr. Drummond confirmed the statements made by
the writer and urged that writers should be more
careful in their work and especially in copying records.

Rev. E. C. Cummings read a brief paper concerning
a small book which he had recently found in the
Society's library, entitled Early Jesuit Missions in
North America, by W. I. Kip.

Mr. William Freeman of Cherryfield, read a care-
fully prepared memoir of his grandfather, Judge
Samuel Freeman, a prominent figure in the annals of
Falmouth and Portland for sixty years. Mr. Freeman
exhibited some relics of his grandfather, after which
the meeting adjourned.

June 21, 1893.

The Annual Meeting was held in the Cleveland
lecture room at Brunswick, and was called to order at
11.30 A.M., President Baxter in the chair. Mr. P. C.
Manning was appointed Assistant Secretary of the
meeting.

The record of the last Annual Meeting was read
and approved.

The annual reports of the Librarian and Cabinet
Keeper, the Corresponding Secretary and Biographer
and the Treasurer were read and accepted. The nee-



PROCEEDINGS. 205

rology of the past year gives the names of James C.
Chilcott, John A. Waterman, Henry P. Torsey, Luther
G. Philbrook and Thomas H. Rich as members havingr
deceased.

The annual report of the Standing Committee was
read by the Recording Secretary, accepted and ordered
to be phiced on file.

Dr. Lapham made a verbal report on the Society's
quarterly publication and at his request the Recording
Secretary read a list of the members who were in
arrears in paj^ment of their subscriptions.

Mr. Baxter read a report which he had prepared on
the subject of the Formation and Fostering of County
Historical Societies in the state. Remarks were made by
several members in commendation of the plan, and on
motion of Mr. E. P. Burnham the report was accepted
and referred to the Standing Committee with power.

Adjourned until 2 p. m.

The afternoon session was called to order by the
President.

On motion a committee to nominate a board of
officers was appointed consisting of Messrs. Dike,
Burnham and Chapman.

While the Nominating Committee were in session
the choice of the place for the Annual Field Day was
discussed and finally an expression of opinion being
called for it was settled by votes in the majority for
Kittery. Messrs. Safford, Burrage and Burnham were
appointed a committee of arrangements.

The following board of officers were balloted for
and elected : —



206 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

President — James P. Baxter.

Yice President — Rufus K. Sewall.

Treasurer — Philip Henry Brown.

Corresponding Secretary, Biographer — Joseph Williamson.



Online LibraryMaine Historical SocietyCollections of the Maine historical society (Volume 1) → online text (page 14 of 34)