Maine Historical Society.

Collections of the Maine historical society (Volume 1) online

. (page 31 of 34)
Online LibraryMaine Historical SocietyCollections of the Maine historical society (Volume 1) → online text (page 31 of 34)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Vol. VI. 29



434 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

it occurred to none to dispute the right which he
claimed.

So late as 1681, long after Massachusetts had
assumed the ownership of the Province, Capt. Scottow
when he took charge of building the Black Point fort
proposed to donate one hundred acres for that purpose
and to have houses arranged in military order, on con-
dition of their paying him twelve pence yearly in
money forever as being their demesne lord. The
townsmen readily accepted his proposition, but they do
not appear to have had much respect for his authority
and soon repudiated their agreement with him
altogether. The probability is that what government
they had was semi-military in its character. The
fishermen were a rough lot and necessarily absent a
great part of the time. In their English homes they
had never known self-government and here they
thought little about it. We hear of their having con-
stables to keep order and that is about all the officials
mentioned. They assembled occasionally for confer-
ence but for many years no records of stated meetings
or elections occur.

John Joselyn in his letters in 1671 says, "The peo-
ple in the Province of Mayne may be divided into
magistrates, husbandmen or planters and fishers — of
the magistrates some be Royalists, the rest perverse
Spirits, the like are the planters and fishers." They
were not as he thought deferential to their betters for
he says of the fishermen, " If a man of quality chance
to come, when they are roystering and gulping in
wine, he must be sociable and roly poly with them or



THE SETTLEjMENT OF SCARBOROUGH. 435

else begone, which is best for him." It shouki be
borne in mind that the Black Point settlers, for the
most part, did not own the land but occupied lots by
permission only, and this fact kept them subject to the
proprietor.

The Algers at Dunstan owned their tract but seem
to have sold portions to the excellent class of planters
who joined them there. On Blue Point the settlers
were squatters, who located as they pleased and asked
no favors from anybody. After the second settlement
the question of land titles was arranged by Danforth,
president of the Province, who conveyed the fee of
the town to certain inhabitants as trustees, and they
were authorized to apportion lands by metes and
bounds to the townsmen. Althoug-h the town was

o

organized in 1658 nothing appears upon the records
of any account prior to 1669, and even then they are
disconnected and fragmentary. Occasionally we hear
of selectmen but more often of the constable. There
were attempts to do something in the way of school-
ing for the children as appears from allusions to pay-
ing the schoolmaster in lumber. Although piety was
probably not a striking characteristic in these early
days, they nevertheless, as early as 1611 applied to
Gov. Winthrop for a minister. In 1659 there was a
Rev. John Thorpe at Black Point. He was complained
of to the court for preaching unsound doctrine. It
does not ap}>ear in what the unsoundness consisted?
but as Jordan was complainant the preaching may
have had a flavor of the creed of Puritan or Baptist.
So little doctrine did the people get that it was desir-



436 MAIXE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

able that what they had should be of good quality.
A few Quakers appeared among them, and about 1665
one Sarah Mills received twenty stripes for Quakerism.
Rev. Benjamin Blackman was among them a few years
and then went to Saco. In 1686 Rev. George Bur-
roughs came and remained for a year or so. He after-
wards removed to Salem, where in 1692 he was put to
death for witchcraft. They had built a church prior
to 1671, probably on the plains near the Black Rocks,
but no church records exist and we know of it by an
occasional reference, as for instance that the Indians
were superstitious about it. There was a churchyard
also but the graves were without headstones. Theo-
logical troubles appear upon the court records. Several
were prosecuted for not paying the minister his
stipend, and some in 1685 were threatened with fine
for opposing the location of the meeting-house.

The settlers were almost wholly dependent upon
their own resources for clothing and food, but their
wants were few and supplies were abundant and unfail-
ing. Fish and game abounded at all seasons. Sea-
weed and fish made excellent fertilizers for the land,
and their crops of Indian corn, vegetables and grain
could be relied upon. The cattle did not want for
pasturage in summer and the marshes furnished an
endless amount of hay for their winter support. They
exchanged their fish and furs, and later their lumber,
at the trading posts and with the occasional vessels
for such articles of comfort or necessity as they could
not themselves obtain. So that although isolated and
often exposed to danger it is not unlikely that they



THE SETTLEMENT OF SCARBOROUGH. 437

found as much real comfort in life as do those of a
less hardy age, who have succeeded them.

Of highways by land, in the modern sense, they
had none. There was a road over Black Point Plains
to the Ferry, but its location is now lost, and there
was a Province road, so called, and at an early date a
bridge across the almost unfordable Nonsuch. These
however w^ere probably mere tracks and bridle paths,
for riding in carriages was almost unknown and they
had little use for horses. For a long time their com-
munications with outside parts were confined to boat-
ing upon the sea and rivers. The first land route to
Boston was along the shore. There was a ferry across
Scarborough River at the place still called the Ferry
Rocks, thence they followed the beach along past
Pine Point and Old Orchard to another crossing at
Saco ferry. They were fairly well supplied with
cattle and goats and sheep. The latter were of great
use since they manufactured their own clothing, but
were a source of much trouble as it was necessary to
keep them safely folded every night on account of the
wolves and bears. A curious tradition has been
handed down telling of the departure of the wolves.
It is said that after the second settlement, when the
number of inhabitants had largely increased, the Avild
animals were rapidly being thinned out by the many
skilful hunters. On one dark night, when the ground
was covered with snow, there was suddenly heard
from every direction the howling of wolves. Their
numbers seemed continually to increase, as in great
bands they ranged about from place to place making



438 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

the night hideous with their cries. The settlers in
their houses Hstened with terror not knowing what
such commotion could me<an. The next morning they
ventured out to find the cause. The tracks in the
snow appearing everywhere showed frequent places
where they had gathered in circles as if in council,
but all the wolves were gone, and it is said that not
one has ever been known in the vicinity since that
night.

The abandonment of the settlements naturally
caused some confusion when after a lapse of twelve
years and more the settlers or their heirs came to
reclaim their lands. Some old depositions taken for
the purpose of establishing titles throw light upon the
earliest times. One Joanna Puncheon of Boston, says
she was born at " Blew Point " about 1639 and lived
there thirty-four years and tells of the Algers being
in quiet possession of their Dunstan tract, with their
children and grandchildren around them, where they
made large improvements and sold considerable
quantity of grain yearly, and that this was then " the
remotest and uppermost settlement in the town."
John Boaden of Marblehead, says he was born at
Spur wink about 1664 and that he and Sam Hill car-
ried the chain to run out Robert Jordan's tract of
about two thousand acres. " There was five settle-
ments on the said Nonesuch land," he says, and they
were all tenants of said Jordan. The fact that neither
Joanna nor John sign their names goes to show that
educational facilities in their earlier years were
limited.



THE SETTLEMENT OF SCARBOROUGH. 439

The return of the inhabitants after havino- been
driven away by the Indians and French in 1690, is
commonly called the second settlement. This expres-
sion is rather appropriate because the greater part of
those who left never came back. After the return we
find mostly a new list of names. The tenantry and
idle and dissolute fellows of whom Joselyn had so
poor an opinion appear no more. In their places
were found representatives of that class of men who
have made the state of Maine what it is. The settlers
on Massachusetts Bay were of the best. As Everett
says, '' in the storms of adversity they had been
sifted as wheat." From that rugged stock the stronger
and more adventurous spirits came to Maine and from
them has sprung the breed of men that now people
its valleys and hills. These were men of earnest pur-
pose, supporters of the church and common school
and the town meeting, a people of whom their descend-
ants may well be proud.

The story of subsequent events in the vicinity
is full of interest. One could tell of Charles Pine,
the hunter, and his romantic career ; of Richard
Hunniwell, the Indian killer, and the terrible vengeance
which he visited upon the Indians for the murder of
his wife and child ; of the story of Massacre Pond ;
of the hearthstone still stained with blood which re-
calls the tragedy of Deering, who in a burst of pas-
sion killed his wife and was then driven to suicide by
remorse ; of the forests and the mills, and the lumber-
men and the shipbuilders ; of Dunstan Landing, with
its merchants, its shipping and its long canal ; of the



440 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

part taken in the capture of Louisburg. It would be
interesting to recall the emigration of Scarborough
colonists in 1765 to Machias, where ten years later the
first naval battle of the Revolution was fought under
the leadership of Capt. Jeremiah O'Brien and Col.
Benjamin Foster, both of whom w^ere Scarborough
men. A brilliant chapter might be filled with the
story of Revolutionary days when almost every man
in the town took an active part and helped along the
contest for independence to the utmost with services
and such supplies as could be furnished.

There is much that might be said about the people,
the Kings, the Fabyans, the Southgates, the Prouts,
and other families, whose representatives are found
throughout the whole country. The object of this
paper was not, however, to give a history, but to at-
tempt to show how it came to pass that settlements
became established and to try to give some idea of
what the people were doing, and how they lived in
those troubled times, when through long years of dan-
ger and uncertainty the foundations of the town were
being laid. For such purpose the material is fragmen-
tary and hard to find, and the difficulty of the subject
is the excuse offered for the imperfect manner in
which the work has been done.



SKETCHES OF THE LIVES OF EARLY MAINE MINISTERS. 441



SKETCHES OF THE LIVES OF EARLY
MAINE MINISTERS.

BY WILLIAM D. WILLIAMSON.

Presented to the Maine Historical Society, with an Introduction by Joseph

Williamson, December 10, 1891.

[continued.]

REV. MATTHEW MERRIAM.
Rev. Matthew Merriam, Yale College 1759, was
ordained in September, 1765, the snccessor of Rev.
John Morse, and was the second settled minister of
the second parish in Berwick. The same year he was
admitted master of arts at Harvard. In both cata-
logues his name is spelt as above, though it some-
times has in it only six letters, " Meriam." He died
in January, 1797, at the age of about sixty-five, and
in the thirty-second year of his ministry. He was a
man of true worth and piety, and though his temples
did not shine from the reflected luster of clustering
kindreds, he lived in light derivative from a much
more o-lorious source. He walked with God in the
cool of the day, and death, we trust, was only the gate
opened to admit his spirit to the mansions of the
blessed.

REV. EBENEZER WILLIAMS.

Rev. Ebenezer Williams, Harvard College 1760,
was ordained November 6, 1765, the second settled
minister of the present Falmouth, and successor of
Rev. Mr. WiswelL The parish was still called New



442 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Casco. His surname is one of the most famous in
New England. " He continued the faithful pastor of
his flock" about tMrty-four years, a happy pastoral
relation. For he watered the olive branch from his
cistern ; he added nutriment and culture to the gar-
den of the Lord; he strove not in vain to take away
the great and little foxes that spoil the vines; and as
he witnessed the bud and blossom he was called to
rest from his labors. He died in 1797, justly lamented,
aged sixty years.

REV. JOSIAH THATCHER.

Rev. Josiah Thatcher, (or Thacher) Nassau Hall,
1760, and A. M., Yale College, 1765, was ordained
October 28, 1767, the second settled minister of Gor-
ham. He was the successor of Rev. Mr. Lombard, and
the only minister settled in Maine this year. But
though he was a man of piety and good habits, a tal-
ented, educated man, himself, as well as his people,
discovered in a few years that he possessed fitter pro-
perties for civil usefulness, than for the ministry.
Discourses to be popular, must be written with a
glowing heart, and delivered with force and feeling.
The preacher must light his lamp with consecrated
fire. If his graces shine out, and warm the bosoms of
others, they will desire to be partakers. A cold exhor-
tation freezes the soul. A dissatisfaction, which grew
into very serious difficulties in the course of ten or
eleven years, resulted in the dismission of Mr.
Thatcher in August, 1779, and he never resettled in
the ministry. The sum given him on settlement was



SKETCHES OF THE LIVES OF EARLY MAINE MINISTERS. 443

£100 lawful money, and his annual salary £80, or two
hundred and sixty-six dollars and forty cents.

Mr. Thatcher continued to reside in Gorham, and
like his predecessor, entered into secular employ-
ments. In 1783, and six subsequent years in all, he
was the representative of his town in the Legislature
of the Commonwealth. He was a man of pure patri-
otism and good sense, and on the death of Judge
Jedediah Preble, he was, in 1784, commissioned to the
bench of the Common Pleas for the County of Cum-
berland ; a seat he filled sixteen years. He was also
a senator in the General Court in 1785, and in seven
other 3^ears. He died in 1800, an intelligent legis-
lator and a worthy upright magistrate.

REV. THOMAS BROWN.

Rev. Thomas Brown, Harvard College 1752, was
installed on the twenty-first day of January, 1765, the
first settled minister of the present Westbrook. This,
which was originally the Stroudwater settlement, was
taken from the first parish in Portland, and in iMarch,
1765, incorporated into a separate parish, being the
fourth taken from the old town. Mr. Brown was a na-
tive of Haverhill, Massachusetts, the fourth son of Rev.
John Brown, the minister of that town till December
2, 1742, when he died. One of his daughters was the
wife of Rev. Mr. Brooks of North Yarmouth. It is
said the first-named Thomas was " a very respectable
and excellent man." He had been a settled minister
in Marshtield, Massachusetts, lately dismissed, and soon
employed to preach in Stroudwater. A church of



444 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

thirteen members was formed about the same time,
though the meeting-house on the Capisic road, belong-
ing to that parish, was not built till 1774. Mr. Brown
died in 1797, thus closing his pastorate of thirty-two
years, with a wisdom, grace and goodness that were
rich ornaments to his life, and with a humility, faith
and zeal that assure him a place among the sons of
God.

RP:V. SILAS iMOODY.

Rev. Silas Moody, Harvard College, 1761, was
ordained January 9, 1771, the fourth settled minister
of Arvmdel (now Kennebunkport), the successor of Rev.
John Hovey. He was a descendant of William Moody,
who died at Newbury, 1673. " He was a blacksmith,
and first adopted the practice of shoeing oxen to enable
them to walk on ice. " The name of his son and
grandson was Samuel ; and his great-grandson was
William Moody, father of Rev. Silas Moody, afore-
named. This minister's wife, whom he married in
1773, was the daughter of Rev. Daniel Little of
Kennebunk. They had a large family, and several of
their issue reside in Kennebunkport. Mr. Moody
was a man of fair talents, was always much respected,
and generally maintained a considerable degree of
popularity. But his feeble health disqualified him for
close appUcation to his studies, and prevented his
speaking with the force and eloquence which so highly
captivates a popular audience. He wanted tact, fire,
and feeling, a lively imagination, and a glowing pen.
Warm victuals are altogether more palatable than



HALLOWELL RECORDS. 445

cold, and afford much more nourishment. Mr. Moody
could write well, and some of his occasional sermons
evinced considerable research. Especially the one
delivered on the death of Washington, and published
by request, was an excellent composition. His pastor-
ate was long, being continued forty-five years. He
died April 7, 1816, aged seventy-three, being nineteen
when he graduated.



HALLOWELL RECORDS.



COMMU24^ICATED BY DK. W. B. LAPHAM.

[Contiuued from page 328.]

William Springer, son of John Springer, was born at George-
town, now Bath, November, 1754. Married Mary, daughter of
Samuel Norcross, who was born January 2, 1763. Their chil-
dren are : —

Mary, b. Oct. 19, 1782.
William, b. June 15, 1784.
Joanna, b. Feb. 7, 1786.
Susanna, b. July 26, 1787.
Nancy, b. March 13, 1791.
Hannah, b. July 10, 1797.
Pamela, b. Dec. 3, 1800.

Mrs. Mary Springer died February 8, 1808, and Mr. Si^ringer
married Elizabeth, daughter of Moses and Mary Jewett of Hoi^-
kinton, state of New Hampshire. Their children are : —

Elizabeth, b. Nov. 24, 1809.
William, b. Aug. 17, 1811.
Eleanor, b. April 27, 1813.
Harriet, b. July 17, 1815.

Mr. William Springer died April 29, 1816.



446 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

James Springer, son of James Springer, was born in George-
town, now Bath, February, 1764. Married Mary, daughter of
Benjamin Lemont of the same town. Their children are : —

James, b. Dec. 8, 1787; d. Dec, 1814.

Kachel, b. Sept. 9, 1790; d. March, 1806.

Benjamin, b. April 16, 1791, in Pittstou,

William, b. Nov. 22, 1792, in Pittston.

Sarah, b. July 12, 1794, in Hallowell ; d. June, 1807.

Mary, b. March 22, 1795; d. Feb., 1814.

Harriet, b. Jan. 25, 1797 ; d. June 12, 1815.

Samuel, b. Jan. 1, 1799.

Mr. James Springer died November, 1812, in Boston Harbor.

James Lowell, son of Gideon Lowell and Polly Morrill his
wife, was born in Amesbury, county of Essex, Aug. 3, 1767.
Came to this town May, 1795. Married Olive, daughter of
Prince Godfrey of Harlem. Their children are : —

Mary, b. Oct. 18, 1801.

Nancy, b. Dec, 1803; d. Oct., 1806.

James, b. Jan. 27, 1806.

Harrison, b. Feb. 3. 1808.

Alfred, b. July 15, 1810.

Charles Edward, b. June 3, 1812.

Warren, b. Oct. 18, 1814.

William Henry, b. March 30, 1817.

Augustus Ballard, son of Jonathan Ballard, was born in Ox-
ford, county of Worcester, October, 1767. Married Thankful,
daughter of Prince Godfrey of Harlem. Their children are : —

Patience, b. Nov. 24, 1798.

Hannah, b. April 28, 1801.

Mary Ann, b. April 9, 1808.

Augustus, b. Feb. 7, 1805.

Loring, b. Sept. 12, 1809.

William Springer, b. Oct. 26, 1814.

Calvin Ballard, brother of Augustus Ballard. Married Han-
nah, daughter of Stacy Blish of Barnstable. Their children are :
EUzabeth, b. July 22, 1803.
Daniel Blish, b. May 7, 1805.
Emily Hoyt, b. June 11, 1807.
Calvin, b. April 7, 1809.
Laura Ann, b. Jan. 9, 1812.



SKETCHES OF THE LIVES OF EARLY MAINE MINISTERS. 447

Stacy, b. Nov. 26, 1813.

Sanford, b. Nov. 3, 1815.

John Yoiing, son of Rowland Young and Mary Norton his
wife, was born in York, district of Maine, Married Rebecca,
daughter of John Hulchins of Kittery. Their children are :

Joanna, b. July 9, 1793, in York.

Rowland, b. Sept. 10, 1795, in York.

Mary, b. Jan. 29, 1803, in Hallowell.

Martha, b. Sept. 8, 1806.

Samuel Collins, son of Joseph Collins and Sarah Bradbury his
wife, was born in New Gloucester, May 7, 1781. Came to this
town. Married Sophia, daughter of Ichabod Reed and Anna
Hart, his wife, of Lewiston. Their children are : —

Lucinda, b. June 9, 1811.

James, b. Jan. 25, 1815.

Hugh Cox, son of Ebenezer Cox and Lydia Cox his wife, was
born in Falmouth, Maine, October 22, 1759. Married Polly,
daughter of Solomon Dunbar of Newcastle, who was born Sep-
tember 20, 1778. Their children are : —

Mary, b. May 2, 1800.

Emma Jane, b. Jan. 27, 1802.

Lucinda, b. Feb. 9, 1805.

Clarissa, b. Jan. 28, 1807.

George Thomas, b. Oct. 16, 1818.

Nancy Glidden, b. June 23, 1816.

William Griffin, son of John Griffin and Hannah Gerrish his
wife, was born in Durham, state of New Hampshire, April, 1774.
Married Nancy, daughter of Levi and Anna Currier of Ames-
bury. Their children are : —

Eliza, b. Nov. 12, 1799, in Pittston.

Ann Hoyt, b. Feb. 21, 1801, in Hallowell.

William jr., b. Feb. 4, 1803.

John, b. July 17, 1804; d. Jan. 7, 1806.

Mary Hoyt, b. Sept. 9, 1806.

Almira, b. Sept. 7, 1808.

Hannah Jane, b. Jan. 10, 1811.

John Elbridge. b. Jan. 26, 1813; d. Feb. 21, 1813.

Clarissa, b. May 9, 1814.

Emeline, b. Nov. 17, 1815.

Adoniram, b. Feb. 22, 1818.



448 MAINE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

James McCurdy, son of John McCui*dy and Anna Hilton, his
wife, was born in Bristol, March 30, 1765. Married Abigail,
daughter of Abner Ford, of Jefferson, Their children are : —

Nancy, b. Nov. 14. 1793.
Robert, b. Feb. 24, 1795; d. Mar. 20, 1817.
James, b. Aug. 26, 1796.
Betliiah, b. Jan. 14, 1798.
Abigail, b. Sept. 20, 1799.
Proctor, b. Jan. 28, 1800; d. Mar. 2, 1827.
Abner, b. Sept. 17, 1801.
George, b. Mar. 4, 1802.
Esther, b. Jan. 9, 1804; d. Jan., 1823.
Loran, b. Oct. 13, 1807.
Converse, b. May 17, 1809.
Sumner, b. May 19, 1811.
Ariel, b. June 10, 1813; d. Dec, 1814.
Cynthia, b. May 2, 1815.
Zilpha, b. Sept. 11, 1816.
Emrald, b. Nov. 9, 1818.
Octavia, b. Aug. 1, 1822.

Peter Vegonreaux was born in Lorient, France, May 26, 1789.
Came to America 1806. Married Sally, daughter of Mason
Damon of Wiscasset. Their chidren are : —

Cordelia, b. Apr. 27, 1811.
Elbridge, b. Oct. 25, 1812.
Joseph, b. Jan. 1, 1815, in Hallowell.
Sarah, b. July 20, 1817.

Nathan Sweatland, son of Samuel and Esther Sweatland was
born in Attleborough, November 27, 1754. Married Rebecca,
daughter of Seth Tarr and Anna McKenny, his wife of George-
town. Their children are : —

Turviah, b. Oct. 17, 1782.

Stephen, b. Aug. 26, 1784; d. Sept., 1806.

Jephthah, b. Jan. 26, 1787.

Matthew, b. Jan. 19, 1789.

Seth, b. Apr. 10, 1791.

David, b. July 23, 1793; d. Dec, 1795.

Anna, b. July 5, 1796.

Joanna, b. Apr. 6, 1799.

Mr. Sweatland died April 2, 1814.



I N D EX



INDEX.



INDEX OF SUBJECTS.



Biographical wSketches: —

Barclay, Henry, 227.

Beusou, Egbert, 228.

Brooks, Edward, 195.

Brown, Thomas, 443.

Chipman, John, ^29.

Chipman, Ward, 229.

Clark, Ephraim, 87.

Coffin, Rev. Paul, 194.

Deaue, Rev. Samuel, 310.

Eaton, Elisha, 93.

Emerson. Rev. Eztkiel, 312.

Fairfield, Rev. John, 192.

Foster, Jacob, 91.

Foxcroft, Rev. Samuel, 308.

Hasey, Rev. Isaac, 306.

Hemmenway. Rev. Moses, 186.

Howell, David, 227.

Langdon, Samuel, 89.

Merriam, Matthew, 441.

Miller, John, 189.

Moody, Rev. Silas, 444.

Morse, John, 90.

Murrny, Rev. John. 314.

Payson. Rev. Edward, 280.

Pierce. Thom.is, 191.

Richardson, Gideon, 88.

Smith, Peter T., 190.

Stevens, Benjamin, 85.

Swett, Benjamin, 275.

Talbot. Charles, 394.

Thatcber, Josiah, 442.

Ward, Nathan, 188.

Williams, Rev. Ebenezer, 441.

Winship, Rev. Josiah, 307.

Winslow. Edward jr., 231.

Wiswell, John, 184.

York, Philip, 394.
Block and Garrison Houses of Fal-
mouth, 37.



Book Notices: —

Myrand's, Sir William Phips,>100.

Cape Porpoise, Old and New, 153.

Charter Rights of Massachusetts
in Maine in the early part of the
Eighteenth Century, 392.

Cobb, David, Memoir of, 1.

Cochranism in York County, Rise
and Fall of, 202.

Confederacy of the United Colo-
nies in New England, 267, 269.

Deposition of, Knight, Esther, 49.

of Wadsworth, Peleg, 291.
Drink Question, The, in the Olden

Time, 3.57.

Eastern Claims, 164.

Fairbanks, John, Journal of, 139.
Falmouth, Block and Garrison



Online LibraryMaine Historical SocietyCollections of the Maine historical society (Volume 1) → online text (page 31 of 34)