Marcus Bainbridge Buford.

A genealogy of the Buford family in America, with records of a number of allied families online

. (page 1 of 22)
Online LibraryMarcus Bainbridge BufordA genealogy of the Buford family in America, with records of a number of allied families → online text (page 1 of 22)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


..-.« Jamkridge



^^B












Gc



% -a



929.2

B864b
1139232



GENEALOGY COLLECTIOM



ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY




3 1833 01179 9977




Digitized by the Internet Archive

in 2010 with funding from

Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center



http://www.archive.org/details/genealogyofbuforOObufo




^ -^^ ='*-«^JS'* " '^^.



^^ - 'j-^jsla^v-i- ^ ■'ig.^ji'UA JtS



THE 1U:F0R1) .MOiNUMEXT AT GETTVSBrKG



[The gun in the left foiegmiiiid is the (nie from wliicli the first
sliot of the liatlle was lired.]



A Genealogy



OF THE



BUFORD FAMILY

in America

With Records of a number of Allied Families



By
Marcus Bainbridge Buford



SAN FRANCISCO, 1903



"A life is not a dream to be forgotten, nor an old garment to be
thrown aside at will. Life is an ever-present thing, and ail our past
is as much a part and parcel of to-day as the marks we bear in our
bodies are portions of ourselves, no matter how we came by them, nor
when." — F. Marion Cra'wford.



^




,- _L O- 'kJ ,-<rf iJ& f<2






TO MY WIFE

JFithout nvhose encouragement and assistance this
ivork ijuould never ha-ve seen the light.



BEAUFORT, BEAUFORD, BUFFORD, AND

BUFORD.

The name Beaufort — or, as it came to America,
Beauford — is French, and as a family name extremely
rare, being essentially a place name. Meaning "beau-
tiful fort or castle," it grew into a family name during
the eleventh and twelfth centuries, from the ownership of
such places, the lords or masters being spoken of as
"de Beaufort," of, or belonging to, the beautiful castle.

The given names of both the English and American
families — such as John, Thomas, William, Richard, and
Robert — are Norman and came to England with the
Northmen.

By referring to the extracts given below from old
English wills and deeds, it will be seen that the pro-
genitors of the Bufords in America were in England
long before John of Gaunt adopted the name of Beau-
fort for his children or the French Huguenots had
emigrated.

John of Gaunt came into possession of the castle of
Beaufort, in the Province of Anjou, in France, at the
close of the thirteenth century, and from it named his
children, by Catherine Swinford "Beaufort," with the

5



title of Duke of Somerset. This family became extinct
with the John, who was exiled to France, and was killed
in the Battle of Tewksbury, in 1471. An illegitimate
branch of this family was given the name of "Somerset,"
and in 1682 the title Duke of Beaufort.

There has been, from the earliest day, a tradition in
the family in America that they were descendants of
John of Gaunt; but this could be only through the
female side of the house, and they could then have no
lecfitimate claim to the name of Beaufort and could come
by it only by adoption.

The French Beauforts originated with the children
of Henry IV and Gabrielle d'Estrees, who became
Duchesse de Beaufort, from an estate of the name in
Champagne, France, which belonged to her family in
1590 to 1600 — too late for the English Buffords to be
descended from them. Some members of this family,
French Huguenots, emigrated to England after the edict
of Nantes, and their descendants are still found in that
country and this. They are " Beauforts," having never
changed the spelling of their name.

The first English Beauforts came over with the
Conqueror, and got their name, as did the Dukes of
Beaufort in Belgium, in the tenth century from the castle
of Beaufort, in Namur, Belgium. If they brought any
titles with them, none have survived in England, and they
became knights, dignitaries of the church, merchants.



husbandmen, yeomen, and men of position in every
walk of life.

It is not possible, with the data now in the posses-
sion of the writer, to connect the American family
immediately with the English Buffords. While this is
most unsatisfactory, there is no doubt that they are one
and the same, and the search for documentary proof
which is still going on will probably establish the fact
and show which Richard or John was the emigrant to
this country and the progenitor of the family in America.

Many members of our family in the United States
still spell the name Beauford, having never allowed the
change to Buford, which gradually came to be the
accepted form. It is readily seen how the change to
Bufford would come about in England when one
remembers that few people in the tenth, eleventh, and
even down to the thirteenth century could read or write,
and that literary attainments were confined chiefly to
the clergy, lawyers, clerks, etc. Of course it was
impossible to convey to a clerk any way of spelling a
name other than phonetically, and he wrote what seemed
to him correct. There are few of the old wills and
deeds examined which do not contain several ways of
spelling the name of the same person, and often it is
only by close study and comparison that the web is
untangled.



Notes made from wills and other documents
at Somerset House and various places in Eng-
land of Bufford, Baford, and Beaiford.



1370.

Thomas Bufford, 1370-75. Children — Ann, wife
of John Yong and William, born about 14 10, who
was a citizen and mercer in London, — wife, Elizabeth, —
lived in St. Mary's Woolchurch Parish, near where the
Bank of England now stands, and was a considerable
possessor of lands at Merton, Surrey, now included in
London. Children — Richard, died 1490; Rose, who
married Whaplode; Elizabeth, Agnes, Lettys, Robert,
and Harry; two last not mentioned in their mother's will.

William and his wife both died in 1488. William
had a brother named William, not an uncommon thing
in those days.

Prerogative Court of Canterlmry.



1517-

In Northiam Church, in Sussex, there is an epitaph

that has probably never before been in print, as follows:

"Of yo' charite pray for the Soule of Syr Robert

Beuford sumtyme person of this Church of Northia the

which deceased the xxviii day of Aprill in the yere of

8



of lord MVXVII on whose soule Thu have mercy,
amen."



1530.

George Bayford, 1530-40, of Great Haddam, Hert-
fordshire. Daughter, Margaret, 1577; married, 1597,
William Gladwyn, of Chigwell, Essex.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury .



1555-

Richard Bufforde, Colforde Newland, County Glou-
cester, April 16, 1555. Mentions his wife, Margaret;
sons, Christopher, Henry, and Anthony.

Consistory of Gloucester, file for 7555.



1573-

Christopher Bufforde was of Whittle, in Essex, in

1573. Married EHzabeth Boyes, of Halstead, Essex.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury.



1578.

Anne Bufford, widow, Colford, 18 Julie, 1578. Men-
tions daughters — Joan, Eleanor, and Elizabeth — son and
heir, Robert Morgan, and Ann, his wife.

Consistory of Gloucester, file for 1378.



1584.

August 23, 1584, administration of Ellen Baford
(deceased). All Hallows, Staynong, to her husband,
John Baford.

Coimnissary of London, Act Book, 1^82— i^gj,
folio JO.



1626.

William Bufford, of Riding Court, Hornchurch,
County of Essex. Will dated May 5, 1626. Wife's
name Mary; had son, William, and daughter, Elizabeth.
Sister, Elizabeth, who married William Gladwin (Glad-
wyn ?) of Dunton; brothers, John (of Dunton), and
Richard ; brother-in-law, James Mansfield.

Mary Bufford's will was probated June 4, 1627.

Archdeaconry of Essex filed zvills, file for
1626-2'/, No. ^2.



1631.

EHzabeth Bufford, widow, Ingrave, Essex. Will dated
October 16, 1631. Buried in Layndon Church, near her
husband. Children — Henry, John, Rowland, James,
and Elizabeth. Henry had four children; John had four;
Elizabeth married Norton and had two children, John
and Elizabeth Norton; James had two children, William



10



and Elizabeth Bufford; son-in-law, Richard Bufford, had
two daughters.

Consistory of London, Register ''Allcti,'' folio

lOO.



1636.

Mary Bufford, of Hursley, County Southton. In-
denture May 31, 1636.

12. Charles I, Close Roll, part 4 (3078), No.
24.



1638.

Philip Bafford and wife Mary, of St. Mary Malfellon-
als, Whitechapel, February 5, 1638.



1638.

I September, 1638.
John Bafford (Hereford in Act book). Mentions
brother, Styles, minister of Pomfret, in Yorkshire; sis-
ters, Margaret, Elizabeth, and Prudence. John Bafford
evidently died in Italy, as his will is witnessed by Basil,
Lord Fielding, H. M's ambassador to Italy, and Wm.
Pettie. He leaves legacies to his servant and others
who cared for him during his illness. Will was proved
December i, 1638, by his widow and executrix, Fortune
Bafford.



II



i639-

John Bufford, of Dunton, Essex, October 20, 1639.

Mentions sons, John and Rowland; daughters, EHza-

beth, Ann, and Alice; brother, Rowland Bufford, who

is appointed guardian during minority of his sons, etc.

Archdeaconry of Essex, register " Whitehead''

1638-1653, folio 7/.



1641.

WiUiam Bufford, of Ruarden, diocese of Gloucester,
22 March, 1641. Mentions his wife, Ann, who was the
daughter of John Nelmes; his sons, John and WiUiam;
his brother, John Bufford; his nephews, John Bufford and
Henrie Catchmie — son of his sister — and his nieces,
Joan Bufford and Eleanor Catchmie.

Prerogative Coiirt of Canterbury, "■Campbell^'

85.



1648.

John Bufford, of Landogo, County Monmouth,
23 December, 1648.

Prerogative Cozirt of Canterbury, '' Fail fax,''
I2g.



1654.

William Bafford, of Chilloworth, South Hants ; will
February 10, 1654.

12



1654-

Christopher Bauford, of Bisley, County Surrey ; will
March ii, 1654; wife, Mary. Children — Christopher,
John, and Ann, who married John Berrj^man.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury, register
''Ay left;' folio 428.



In Essex and Herts, Prerogative Court of Can-
ter btiry. —
1660-61. Susanna Bufford.
1661-63. Thomas Bayford, Farnham.
1663-66. George Bufford, Colchester.

Edward Bayford, Little Hadley.
John Bayford. Bishop Stortford.
William Bayford, Bishop Stortford.
1669-97. Rowland Bufford, Ingrave.

Daniel Byford, Southminster.
1667-80. Rebecca Bainford (Baenford?), Leigh,
Essex.

1684-99. Edward Bayford Stanstead, Montfichal.
Ralph Beaufort, a priest of St. Olaves,
Silver Street, London, died 1650.

1678-79. John Bufford, of Dunton, Essex, 22 January,
1678-9. Mentions his wife, Margaret, his sons, John,
William, Francis, and Richard.

Archdeaconry of Essex, register ''Hills'
{16-] 5-1 680), folio 26 j.

13



II.



I. RICHARD BEAUFORD, EMIGRANT, 1635,

OF LANCASTER COUNTY, VIRGINIA.

II. JOHN AND ELIZABETH PARROTT BEAU-

FORD, OF CHRISTCHURCH PARISH,

MIDDLESEX COUNTY,

VIRGINIA.

I. RICHARD BEAUFORD emigrated from
Gravesend, P^ngland, in the ship Elizabeth, August i,
1635. Was examined by a minister of the Church of
England as to loyalty to the king, took the prescribed
oath of allegiance, etc., age eighteen, "Hotten's Lists."
He was therefore born 16 17-16 18. There is no other
Beaufort, Beauford, or Buford to be found in any list of
immigrants or of emigrants. In the Deed Book of Lan-
caster County, Virginia, at Lancaster Court House,
under date of April 15, 1656, "John Vause assigned
Richard Beauford three hundred acres of land lying on
the south side Rappahannock River, up in the freshes,
bounding on the land of Thomas Hawkins, etc." Noth-
ing else can be found in any record relating to Richard.
It is probable that he married a daughter of John Vause
and drifted with him and his family into Lancaster
County.

14



When Richard came to America the colony had, by-
census of 1634, four thousand nine hundred fourteen
inhabitants, and was divided into eight Httoral shires.

The name Lancaster first appears in the hst of coun-
ties represented in the House of Burgesses, April, 1652.
No act or order for the formation of the county appears
to be extant. "By a Court held ye 7th of August, 1654,
for ye countye of Lancaster, it was divided into two
parishes ; the lower included the present counties of Lan-
caster and Middlesex, and the upper the present counties
of Essex and Richmond, and the territory extending
indefinitely to the westward, on both sides of the Rappa-
hannock River."

Had he married as early as 1640, he could have had
a son old enough to be married in 1662; therefore he is
supposed to be the progenitor of the Beaufords, Beau-
forts, Bluefords, Blufords, Buefords, Burfords, and Bu-
fords, in America, and the descent traced through John
Beauford, of Christchurch Parish, Middlesex County,
Virginia. That Richard's family record is not given is
accounted for by the fact that the register of Christ-
church was not begun until 1653. The name is found
spelled all these ways. While much of the confusion of
this lawless spelling is due to the clerks of the counties
and of the parishes, the individuals themselves frequently
spelled their names any of these ways, indifferently; in
fact, often in several different ways in the same docu-

15



ment. Given names were either scarce or clung; to with
great persistency, and it has been found almost impos-
sible in this genealogy to identify the different Johns,
Thomases, Jameses, and Williams except by their imme-
diate families. Although there were at first no middle
names, in deeds and other legal documents, where it
was necessary for both husband and wife to sign, the
initials of both their given names were frequently signed
before their surnames. This was also the custom in
marking silver, linen, and other household goods. The
name Buford seems to have been evolved, in America,
by a gradual process of reducing to the simplest and
easiest spelling, in the course of a hundred years, until
by general consent and agreement it was adopted as the
family name, after the Revolution. Although the very
same process had taken place in England before there
were any emigrants of the name to America, Richard
and his descendants did not recognize the change, if they
knew of it. In some cases the name is still spelled
Burford. No attempt has, however, been followed to a
successful conclusion to trace the Burford family, as no
starting point could be found to connect them with the
Bufords, This spelling, Burford, is found in Middlesex
County, and for that reason it is to be presumed that
they are descended from the Beaufords.

In the register of Christchurch, Middlesex County,
1653-18 1 2, among the first entries, — in fact, the sixth, —

16



is the marriage of John Blueford and EHzabeth Parrot,
April II, 1662. He was then probably twenty years of
age and, therefore, born in 1642. It is also probable
that he was the son of Richard, and not born in Middle-
sex County, where Richard is found in 1656, but came
there with his father, for in the register there is an
entry to the effect that Richard Perrott, Jr., who was
born the 24th of February, 1650, was the first male
child that was born in that county of P.nglish parents.
In a deed in the land office, Richmond, Virginia,
dated March 17, 1663, Sir William Berkeley, knight,
governor of Virginia, "grants to John Beauford and
Francis Broughton three hundred (300) acres of land
lying in the County of Lancaster (now Middlesex), and
upon the south side of the Rappahannock River, adjoin-
ing the land of Richard Lewis, said land being due John
Beauford and Fi"ancis Broughton by and for the trans-
portation of six persons, etc." Sir William Berkeley had
obtained government land grants, in which was included
Lancaster County, and to encourage settlement he issued
grants of fifty acres for each person transported to the
colony. Among those brought over were members of
famihes already in the colony, servants and slaves, both
white and black. To obtain a grant it was simply neces-
sary to pay the passage money of the person trans-
ported. Middlesex, owing to its accessibility both for
export and import, became the fountain-head of the

17



most aristocratic colonists and the source from which
sprang many of Virginia's most prominent famiUes,
Here were the Berkeleys, Skipwiths, Brandons, Worms-
leys, Corbins, Carters, Conways, Balls, Washingtons,
Lewises, and hundreds of others. Now there is not
only no vestige of these names left there, but no traces
of many of their homes. The old church has been in
ruins many years, trees have grown up inside its walls
and the old tombs surrounding it allowed to decay and
disappear.

2. JOHN BEAUFORD, of Christchurch Parish,
Lancaster County, Virginia, married Elizabeth Parrat,
April II, 1662. Children — Thomas, born 1663; Am-
brose, 1665; Susannah, 1667; Elizabeth, 1669.

John Beauford died April i8, 1722.

3. THOMAS, SR., son of John and Elizabeth
Parrat Beauford.born in Lancaster County, 1 663. Married

Mary . Children — Thomas, Jr., born 1682;

baptized May 21, 1682. Henry, born 1684; baptized
March 15, 1684. Mary, March 18, 1688.

Thomas Beauford died December 9, 17 16.

Mary Beauford died December 29, 1720.

3. AMBROSE, son of John and Elizabeth Parrat
Beauford, born in Lancaster County, Virginia, 1669.

Married Elizabeth . Daughter — Elizabeth, who

was baptized September 10, 1693.

3. SUSANNAH, daughter of John and Elizabeth

18



Parrat Beauford, born in Lancaster County, Virginia,
1667. Married Thomas Guy, October 14, 1689.

3. ELIZABETH, daughter of John and Elizabeth
Parrat Beauford, born in Lancaster County, Virginia,
1669. Married WiUiam Priest. Daughter — Katherine,
born September 20, 1693, married Matthew Cock, Sep-
tember 12, 1708.

PARROT.

The name is found spelled Perrott, Parat, Parett, and
Parrott, and is traced from England to Barbadoes and
to Virginia. Richard Perrott was one of the first settlers
of Lancaster County. His wife's name was Margaret, and
there has been found, in the colony, no further record of her.
They were probably married in England or in Barbadoes,
where their first child, Elizabeth, v/as born. They were
in Lancaster County as early as 1649. In the register of
Christchurch, Middle.sex Parish, is the following memo-
randum: "Richard, Sone of Mr. Richard Perrott, Senior,
was borne the 24th of February, 1650, being the first man
child that was begott and borne in Rappannock River of
English parents."

RICHARD, SR., was a vestryman of Christchurch, a
commissioner of Lancaster County in 1656, elected High
Sherifi" June 5, 1657, and Senior Justice of Middlesex
County Court 1673, until his death. Frequent mention is
made of him in Virginia history, and Bishop Meade, in his
"Old Families and Churches," states that he was appealed
to while in England on one of his visits to bring out a
minister for the church.

The register contains also the following entry:
"Whereas Mr. Richard Perrott hath built a Pew in the
Chancell on the further side opposite to the Pulpitt and a

19



stable also, which Pew and Stable is for the use of Henry
Corbin Esq., properly belonging to him and to those that
shall have and enjoy the house and land whereon he hath
now built on and forever September 29, 1669."

RICHARD, SR., died November 11, 1686. In his will
he mentions his wife, Margaret, and his grandsons, Henry
and Richard, sons of Richard, Jr. His plantations were in
Middlesex County, one of them, of one thousand acres,
was on the north side of the Pyankatank River. His
wife, Margaret, died January 30, 1687. Children — Eliza-
beth, 1645; Richard, Jr., February 24, 1650.

2. ELIZABETH married, April 11, 1662, John Bleu-
ford.

2. RICHARD, JR., married, February 11, 1672,
Mrs. Sarah Curtis Halfhide. "She was born in Ware
Parish, Gloster County on a Sunday about 2 o'clock after-
noon the i6th of Aug. 1657, being the daughter of Major
Thomas Curtis by his wife Averilla, she was when married
to Richard the widow of Mr. William Halfhide. "The
names of what Children (and the times when) have been
borne to aforesaid Mr. Richard and Sarah Perrott of Middle-
sex County — Henry, January 25, 1675; Frank, daughter,
August 28, 1677; Sarah, September 21, 1679; Richard 3d,
October 5, 1681 ; Averilla (also spelled Eflflorilla), August
3, 1683; Robert, October 25, 1685; Curtis, August 19,
1688, and Mary, January 19, 1690."

Sarah Curtis Perrott died 1693-4.

3. RICHARD 3d, son of Richard, Jr., and Sarah

Curtis Perrott, married, 1705, Sara . Children —

Henry, born February 25, 1706; Richard 4th, 1708; William,
December 27, 1712.

Richard 3d died January 11, 1734.

3. ROBERT, SR.,son of Richard, Jr., and Sarah
Curtis Perrott, married, March 25, 1706, Catherine Daniel.
Children — Robert, Jr., April 27, 1707; Sarah, February

20



6, 1708, died March 13, 1701 ; William, May 20, 1712;
Betty, December 3, 1714; John, November 12, 1720;
James, November 11, 1722.

Robert, Sr., died August 9, 1723, and his wife married,
July 17, 1728, John Williams.

4. ROBERT, JR., son of Robert, Sr., and Sara
Perrott, married Sarah. Children — James, born January
25, 1732; Ludowick, January 26, 1734; Sarah, March 25,

1737-

Robert, Jr., died December 13, 1737.

3. AVERILLA, daughter of Richard, Jr., and Sarah
Curtis Perrott, married Joseph Hardee. Children —
Averilla, baptized April 22, 1705, died February 7, 1720;
Joannah, baptized August 3, 1707; Joseph, Jr., baptized
October 23, 1709, died December 27, 1734; Mary, born
Mayi8, 1711; Charles, July 19, 1715; Perrott, April 4, 1718;
Sarah, October 19, 1720.

Joseph Hardee died March 28, 1729.

3. CURTIS, son of Richard, Jr., and Sarah Curtis
Perrott, married, September 3, 1714, Anne Daniel. Chil-
dren — Clara, born April 21, 1716; Curtis, Jr., January 30,
1718; Averilla, June 16, 1721 ; Anne, February 20, 1723,
died November 16, 1739; Agatha, May 12, 1727; Charles,
June 22, 1729; Daniel, August 10, 1732; Francis, Decem-
ber 6, 1734.

3. MARY, daughter of Richard, Jr., and Sarah
Curtis Perrott, married, September 16, 1708, Hobbs
Weekes. Children — Elizabeth, baptized October 3, 1709 ;
Millicent, born May 2, 1713; Thomas, June 11, 1715;
Abraham, September 22, 1717.



21



II



4. THOMAS AND ELIZABETH BEAU-

FORD, OF CHRISTCHURCH

PARISH, MIDDLESEX

COUNTY, VIRGINIA.

5. JOHN AND JUDITH BEAUFORD, OF
BROMFIELD PARISH, CULPEPER

COUNTY, VIRGINIA.

4. THOMAS, JR., of the County of Middlesex and
Parish of Christchurch, son of Thomas and Mary
Beauford, born 1682, married Elizabeth. — Children
Agatha, born August 13, 1705; John, born 1707, bap-
tized September 21, 1707; Elizabeth, born 1709; Sarah,
17 1 2, baptized April 6, 171 2; Mary, August 20, 17 16;
Anne, July 4, 17 18.

Thomas, Jr., died 1761. His will is dated October
24, 175 1, and was probated July 7, 1761. He lends
his wife, Elizabeth, all his estate, both real and personal,
during her lifetime, which is bequeathed after her death
to his son John. Mentions his daughters, Agatha Lee,
Sarah Wisdom, Mary Lee, and Elizabeth Early, and his
grandchildren, John, Anne, James, Elizabeth, and William
Buford. The grandson John here mentioned was the

22



son of John and Judith (see below), whose name was
afterwards changed to Thomas.

5. AGATHA, daughter of Thomas, Jr., and EHzabeth
Beauford, born in Lancaster County, Virginia, August
13, 1705, married, July 16, 1724, George Twyman.
Children — Elizabeth, born June 28, baptized July 25,
1725, died August 29, 1727; WiUiam, May 27, 1727;
Catherine, June 13, 1729; George, March 19, 173 1.
Agatha's husband, George Twyman, must have died
soon after this, as Agatha married John Warwick, of
Lancaster County, March 8, 1735. Children of John
and Agatha — Abraham, born May 19, 1738, and
Elizabeth, August 6, 1740.

John Warwick, who was the son of Thomas and
Mary Warwick, was born March 14, 171 1, and died
April 4, 1744. In her father's will, made in 175 1,
Agatha is called Agatha Lee, hence must have again
married after the death of John Warwick, in 1744.

In Middlesex County, Christchurch Parish, there was
also another George Twyman, who married Katherine.
They had a daughter Katherine, born April 19, 1702,
and was married to John Tomson, April 13, 1727.
There was a Katherine Twyman who married Philippe
Warwick, September 5, 1705.

5. JOHN, son of Thomas, Jr., and Elizabeth Beauford,
born in Lancaster County, Virginia, 1707, married
Judith. Children — (John) Thomas, born 1736; Anne,

23



born 1738; James, 1740; Elizabeth, 1742; William,
1745; Abraham, July 31, 1749; Henry, September 19,
175 1 ; Mary, 1753; Francis, 1754; Simeon, 1756.

John and Judith Beauford settled in Bromfield Parish,
Culpeper County, Virginia, on a tract of land situated
on the Rapid Ann and Beautiful Run, the deed to which
bears date August 9, 1735, from Governor Gooch. At
that time the country was a wilderness, and almost
inaccessible, except by the Rappahannock River. John


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Online LibraryMarcus Bainbridge BufordA genealogy of the Buford family in America, with records of a number of allied families → online text (page 1 of 22)