engaged in mercantile prusuits. In 1844 he was admitted
to the Bar at Paris, and immediately opened an office in Ox-
ford, where for over thirty years he had a large clientage.
He removed to Portland in 1875, where he continued in
the practice of his profession until his death, May 2, 1897.
Mr. Perry was much in public life, a very active Democrat
until the formation of the Republican party, which he helped
to organize, and afterwards gave his support. For twelve
years he was the political editor of the Oxford Democrat ;
he had an appointment on the Staff of Gov. Fairfield, was
Captain of the Light Infantry, and for seven years Major-
General in the Militia. He represented the town in the Leg-
islature, for four terms, and the county in the Senate, two
terms. He was Clerk of the House in 1854, ^ member of
the Executive Council in 1866 and '67, a member of the
34th and 36th Congress, and a Trustee of the State Reform
116 Annals of Oxford.
School from 1886. In early life he united with the Method-
ist Church and for a half century was a teacher in the Sun-
day School ; also contributing liberally to the support of the
ministry, and serving in nearly all of the various offices in-
cumbent upon laymen.
Dea. Cyrus Shaw, son of Abner and Abigail (Eaton)
Shaw, bought his homestead lot , (corner of Pleasant and
Main streets,) in 1816; a previous purchase is however
mentioned in Mr. Whitney's note book, of no acres on the
easterly bank of "Craigies Mill Pond", between Stephen
Perry's land and the Richardson lot, on the county road to
Poland. Mr. Shaw was born March 25, 1790; his parents
born in Middleborough, lived there and in Mansfield, and
came to Paris in 1792, locating on the Hebron road, north
slope of the Singe Pole. Abner Shaw, housewright, an el-
der brother of Cyrus, came to Craigies Mills about 181 2
from Otisfield. He built a small store opposite the head of
Pleasant street and engaged in trade, being the pioneer trad-
er at the Mills. Cyrus bought him out, but he continued to
reside in the village, working at his trade and in the saw-
mill, until his death, October 16, 1858.
Cyrus was also a housewright and built several buildings
in this place ; he was small in stature, possessed of wonder-
ful vitality, energy and perseverance ; "as a live go ahead
business man he had few equals." He was a Justice of the
Peace, Post Master, Deacon of the Baptist Church, on the
inside of almost every venture started to promote the pros-
perity of the village. His wife a woman of superior ability,
like himself, a worker, their business prospered and their
influence in the community was almost commanding. After
building what is now known as the "Lake House", he open-
ed it as a hotel, occupying the east corner for a store, into
which he moved his goods from the little shop across the
way, and thereafter conducted a large trade. It seems re-
markable that there should have been a use for so many ho-
tels in this little community, but at this time all transporta-
tion was on the common roads and one of the great thor-
oughfares to Portland, even from as far into the country as
the Green Mountains, was through this town. In the winter
especially there was frequently an almost continuous line of
teams, transporting products of the farm to a market for ex-
Annals of Oxford. 117
change in English and West India goods. The producers
were generally their own carriers, and they were accustom-
ed to take from their homes a sufficiency, for the journey ,
of food for themselves and provender for their horses, so
that all that they usually paid the tavern keeper was for
lodging, stabling and "grog", the last being frequently the
largest item in the bill, and the one paying the most profit
to the landlord. Dea. Shaw did not spare himself and is
said to have died of overwork, January 12, 1833, leaving
an estate valued at about forty thousand dollars.
His life demonstrates the opportunities of a New England
town to the industrious and frugal.
Dr. Jacob Tewksbury was born in West Newbury,
May 27, 1782, son of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Merrill)
Tewksbury. He studied for his degree with Drs. Brickett
and Chase of Newburyport, and in 1802 he was authorized
to practice by the Massachusetts Medical Society. In re-
sponse to an invitation from the inhabitants of Hebron, he
commenced the practice of his profession here, locating in
that part of the town (180) now East Oxford. He pursued
his business under many difficulties, his patients were scat-
tered and professionel visits required long journeys, on in-
different roads, by night as well as by day. For fifteen
years he traveled on horseback and then transferred his
saddle-bags to a gig. In his da}^ the country doctor had to
compound as well as prescribe remedies, and fresh in the
memory of the writer are his periodic visits to his labora-
tory, a den of horrors, for *'a ninepence worth of paregor-
ic", that pristine panacea, and the good old doctor's always
hearty greeting, "Well ! Lafayette how's all the folks."
He is said to have suggested my name, but a doctor's advise
must always be modified to satisfaction of friends of the pa-
tient. He was one of the founders of the Maine Medical
Society, educated many students for the profession, and
was esteemed as a well read and very skillful practitioner
in medicine and surgery. About 1834 ^^ '5 ^^ built a fine
mansion at Craiges Mills (62), into which he removed at
completion ; occupying for a short time the Durell house so
as to be at hand to give his new house personal supervision
during its construction. Calls for his service continually in-
creased and he was able to respond until near the time of
his death, which occurred February 27, 1848.
118 ' Annals of Oxford.
His was a hearty, robust nature, interested in everything
about him ; he was a generous contributor to all public im-
provements, his name is among the foremost subscribers to
the fund for building the meeting-houses at South Paris and
at Oxford. He was Representative in the Legislature, one
of the Trustees of Hebron Academy, Postmaster at E. Ox-
ford , Master of Oxford Lodge of Freemasons, President
of the first temperance society organized in town and by no
means the least of his accomplishments was the melodious
manipulation of his double bass viol in the village choir.
His wife, with whom he was married November 25, 1809,
was d women of rare intelligence and christian virtue. She
was Charlotte, daughter of Nathan and Jerusha (Cbapin)
Nelson of Paris, born June 7, 1791, died Mar. 29, 1869.
Their children were : â€” â€” â€”
George Franklin, b. Feb. 14, 181 1.
Jacob Merrill, b. Feb. 7, 1814.
Samuel Henry, b. Mar. 22, 1819.
Rev. George F Tewksbury prepared for college at
Hebron Academy, was graduated at Bowdoin in 1833, and
after the prescribed course of study at the Theological Sem-
inary at Andover, was graduated in 1837.
tie was ordained Jan. 31, 1838 at Albany Me. where
he had a successful pastorate for nearly fifteen years. He
was acting pastor of the church in Oxford for five years
and its steadfast friend during his life. He served the
churches at Benton, Fairfield, West Minot, Mechanic Falls,
Naples, Casco, North Bridgton, as a supply ; was six years
pastor of the church in Gorham N. H. and eight years pas-
tor of the church in Lyman. After a residence of two or
three years in Cambridgeport Mass., he returned to Ox-
ford in 1887, where he died of apoplexy, Jan. 28, 1890.
He was an accomplished gentleman, a graceful speaker,
and had the satisfaction of receiving many into the church
by profession. He was united in marriage, Ma}^ 24, 1838,
with Miss Sarah Ann Cutter of Yarmouth, an amiable and
elegant lady who died on the 15th day of November, 1885.
Five children were born to them ; a son. Rev. George A.
Tewksbury, pastor of a church in Concord Mass., and four
daughters, three of whom are now living.
Mr. Tewksbury had for a second wife, Mrs. Sarah Lit-
tlefield of Lyman, with whom he was united in marriage
April 21, 1877.
Annals of Oxford. 119
Dr. Jacob M. Tewksbury studied medicine with his
father and attended a regular course of lectures in the med-
ical department of Bowdoin College where he was graduat-
ed in 1836. He practiced for a few years in both Oxford and
Wiscasset, and then removed to Buenos Ayres, S. A., where
he was in practice until the "California Fever" induced an-
other change of residence. On the 27th day of September,
1849, ^^ arrived in San Francisco, then a hamlet consisting
of a dozen buildings, bnilt of adobe and wood, and possibly
a hundred tents. Here he lived to witness the growth of a
great city, and to acquire wealth and fame.
He married in Buenos Ayres, August 31, 1848 , Emilia,
dau. of Richard Sutton, a former resident of Portland Me.
and grandaughter of Gen. Sucio Mancilla, a man of promi-
nence in that country. Two children were born to them ;
a son Sucio Maimatus, born at sea, June 14, 1849, ^^^^
Oct. 26, 1885, and a daughter, Eneima Emilia. Dr. J. M.
died Feb. 4, 1877 ; his widow, daughter and four grand-
children were living in 1899.
Dr. Samuel H. Tewksbury, followed the example
of his brother J. M. and was graduated at Brunswick in
1841. He attended a course of lectures at Harvard College
the following winter and subsequently prosecuted his stud-
ies at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York
City. He commenced practice at Frankfort Me. but was
soon after married and returned to Oxford to be coadjutor
with his father. Two 3^ears after the death of his father he
removed to Portland, where he very soon acquired a prom-
inent place in the profession, especially in surgery by the
successful performance of several operations never before
attempted. In 1866 he was elected President of the Maine
Medical Society and in his address called special attention
to the need of better accommodations for the care of those
afflicted with disease, and largely through his influence was
established that noblest of state charities. The Maine Gen-
eral Hospital ; he was the first surgeon appointed for duty
after it was opened.
He had a noble presence, manly and outspoken; he had
many friends and numerous are the stories of his generous
deeds. His wife was Diana Eaton, dau. of Cyrus Shaw,
married June 8, 1844; ^^^Y child Jacob d. Feb. i, 1850, yE
nearl}'- 18 mo. He d. July 27, 1880; wife d. Sept. 21, 1899.
120 Annals of Oxford.
John Welch was born in Boston, son of William and
grandson of Capt. John , whilom, commander of the An-
cient-and Honorable Artillery Company. He had been in the
West India trade in Boston and was reputed wealthy. In
1836 he commenced buying land in Oxford and during the
succeeding ten years, twenty-six titles were recorded in the
Oxford Registry, showing him to have been the largest
holder of real estate in town. One title mentions six thousand
acres of the Craigie lands, and another, the water privilege
on the Little Androscoggin river. He did not abandon his
city residence, although he built a very commodious house,
on the bank of the river, near his saw-mill, where he spent
considerable of his own time and some members of his fam-
ily were there about all the time ; his elder sons exercised
voters rights and held town offices. He gave employment
to quite a number of men which materially increased the
population of the town. A village grew up that continues
to honor his memory in its name "Welchville".
Mr. Welch was a generous contributor to the religious
and other town interests, and hospitality with good cheer
welcomed visitors to his country seat. It is not understood
that he derived very much profit or pleasure from his land
speculations, for the courts were continually occupied with
his contentions until death brought quiescence.
His wife was Elizabeth Hunt, and six children are nam-
ed in his will, some of them were born in New Jersey. Her
will was probated Aug. 23, 1852. He died of congestion of
the lungs, in his 66th year, at his residince, 737 Washing-
ton street, Boston, Dec. 22, 1850.
Children, named in his will, were: â€” -â€”
William F. ^Capt.) m. July 4, 1841, Abigail, dau. of John
Cousins of Poland. He died in Boston Nov. 29, 1852, je
39 y. 9 m., leaving two daus., Eliza Hunt, m. Dr Geo.
L. Kilgore of Windham, and Sarah Cousins, m. Admi
T. Dennison of Mechanic Falls.
John Hunt, m. in Boston June 15, 1837, EHzabeth Trull.
He died Oct. 11, 1852 ; his widow m. Eldridge.
Wilson Jarvis, lawyer in Boston, m. Elizabeth, dau. of
Peter Thatcher; had several children.
Thomas Jefferson, m. June 25, 1853, Mary Elizabeth,
dau. of Almond Ainsworth of Boston ; he died at Somer-
ville Mass. Dec. 28, 1872.
George Washington, (Capt,) died unmarried at the Sailors
Annals of Oxford. 121
Snug Harbor, New York, and was buried in Evergreen
Cemetery, Portland, Maine.
Harrison Shattuck, b. 1830, changed his christen names
to Harrison Gray Otis, m. in Boston Nov. 9, 1856, Eliza-
beth J. , dau. of John H. Foster Jr. ; had children.
Hon. William Clark Whitney, whose name ap-
pears so frequently in the preceding pages, was a son of
Joshua Whitney of Worcester, one of the proprietors of No.
4, now Paris, and was himself the owner of the westerly
half of lots 21-22 in the 5th range, which were conveyed to
him by his father April 21, 1788 ; about this time his name
was added to a committee to build a bridge at Bisco's Falls.
As this was prior to his marriage, he may not have occu-
pied these lots, but he is said to have lived in Paris, also in
Topsham. Induced by Dr. Craigie, he came to Hebron and
April 26, 1798, was given power of attorney to care for all
his interests in this town ; a like commission was given him
by Bossenger Foster, Aug. 25, 1800, a brother-in-law of
Craigie, the title of the Craigie lands being, at the time, in
Mr. Whitney m. March 3, 1799 Sophia, dau. of Nathaniel
Fuller of Hebron and settled upon the large farm, (165)
now occupied by his son George P. ; he continued to act as
agent for Craigie and his heirs until their estate was closed
out. In 1832 he removed to Norway where he died Oct. 6,
1859, ^^ ^^^ advanced age of 94 years.
Mr. Whitney was Adjt. of Col. Hubbard's Reg. in 1802,
and probably held other rank in the militia, although he
was usually called "Squire", as he was a Justice and had
been Rep. in G. C. He was a member of Gov. King's Ex.
Council, and subsequently Sheriff of Oxford County. In
service longer than any Trustee, he was a steadfast friend
of Hebron Academy. His capacity for business was remark-
able ; he amassed the largest personal estate in the county.
His son George P. succeeded him in the Board of Trust-
ees of the Academy, has represented the town in the Leg-
islature and filled numerous positions of trust and honor to
the entire satisfaction of his townsmen.
122 Annals of Oxford.
Out of the Shepard grant about fourteen thousand acres
of land came into the possession of Dr. Craigie in 1794, and
in November 1832 his heirs sold to Jacob D. Brown of Ox-
ford the lots remaining unsold, being about six thousand
acres, including the Craigie farm, so called, the considera-
tion being about $20,000,
Mr. Brown deposed that Col. Samuel H. King was a co-
partner with him in the Craigie lands and in lumbering for
about two years, commencing in 1832, and that he made a
conveyance to the said King of some portion of the Craigie
property. He further deposed that he was a copartner with
William B. Abbott, who came to Oxford in January 1835,
to engage in the dry goods and grocery business, lumbering
and farming. The said Abbott was to attend to the store and
he to the out of door business, and each to have one half of
the profits. At this time he conveyed to the said Abbott one
undivided half of the Craigie lands, excepting certain lots
which had been sold by himself and the said King, and cer-
tain other lots, reserved and marked on plan projected by
David Noyes and Alexander Greenwood.
With his consent Mr. Abbott went to Boston for the pur-
pose of securing a loan on the Oxford estate. In December
John Welch and John Mclntire came here for the purpose
of examining the property and in July 1836, Mr. Welch
consummated his first purchase of land in this town.
Mr. Brown further deposed that in Jan. 1836 he made a
deed of the other moity, with the same exceptions as before,
and delivered the same to the said Abbott, for the purpose
of conve3ang the whole property to Mr. Welch on his com-
plying with the conditions set forth ; notwithstanding the
agreememt, the 2d deed was recorded without his knowl-
edge or consent, and he never received any compensation
whatsover. Mr. Abbott gave a mortgage to Col. King of
all the lands conveyed to him in both deeds, in considera-
tion of the said King discharging a mortgage he had previ-
ously received of the deponent on an undivided half of the
property. "With regard to the understanding and agree-
ment concerning the recording of the deed of mortgage
from W, B. Abbott to said Sam'l. II. King, deponent says
John Welch told him subsequent to the date of said mort-
gage, he had fooled said King, by persuading him to hold
Annals of Oxford. 123
on to his mortgage and not record it, on a promise to pay-
all the debts this deponent owed him , and put his own deeds
or papers, subsequently made, on record before him, and
then said ; *'Let him help himself if he can.
Out of these transactions sprang the most protracted and
bitter litigation ever known in the courts in this State.
Brown commenced an action against Welch in the Su-
preme Court in Oxford County June 30, 1838 to recover
$80,000. This action Welch removed to the Circuit Court
of the United States for the Maine District where it was
pending, apparently without trial until 185 1, nearly thirteen
years after. At the April Term, 185 1, there were pending
in the U. S. Court at least six cases between Brown and
Welch, a part of which Welch was the Plaintiff. They had
been there so long that the first case was the first on the
docket and the others in close proximity.
At the April Term 185 1, the entry was made under the
first case "Both parties dead ; case dismissed." In the sec-
ond case, however, judgment was rendered, as of the Sept.
Term 1850, in favor of Welch who was defendant against
Brown , for Costs taxed at $375 -oo, and the judgment was
acknowledged satisfied by E. Fox, Att'y. The other cases
were dismissed. The judgment in the second case indicates
that both parties had died between the Sept. T. 1850, and
the Apr. T. 1851, and the town talk was that the heirs of
John Welch paid the widow Brown $1000. to relinquish her
right of dower ; a godsend to her, for she was left nearly
In the meantime Mr. Welch made some kind of an ar-
ranoement with one Paul Adams of Boston, and Adams
gave an agreement to Solomon B. Morse Jr. of Westboro'
Mass. to convey to him the Craigie (sometimes called Fair-
mount) farm, including as Morse claimed 660 acres. In va-
rious ways numerous other persons became involved in the
matter. Morse took possession of the farm in the spring of
1841 and was expelled therefrom, by proceedings before a
magistrate, in the fall of 1844. There was an attsmpt to dis-
posess Morse, in July, by frightening him off. It appears that
two of Mr. Welch's sons went there, accompanied by An-
drew Peterson, Ephraim Stedman, George Farris, Robert
Hilborn, Andrew Pratt, Nathan, John and Ezra Wrtght
and others to the number of fifteen or twenty, drove oft
Morse's men, stampeded his cattle, took the hay from his
124 Annals of Oxford.
fields, creating considerable disturbance, and both parties, it
was claimed at the hearings before the Trial Justice, threat-
ened to take life. The feelings of the Welches were so bit-
ter that they insisted that the Sheriff, when he serv^ed
the writ of ejectment, should precipitately oust the
Morse family, notwithstanding the illness of Mrs, Morse
and his absence from town. But this the officer declined to
do ; he put a keeper in one room and gave the family a
week to get out. When the Sheriff returned to fully exe-
cute his precept, Mrs. Morse was still there and refused to
leave unless she was removed by force, but after some
talk, she took her children and went to a friendly neighbor's
house, while the Sheriff removed the furniture, storing part
ot it in an outbuilding and leaving the rest of it in the yard.
A house was soon after secured at Craigies Mills, where they
spent the winter and the next year he removed to Port-
land. Sept. 14, 1844, Morse brought a bill in equity in the
U. S. Circuit Court for Massachusetts District, against
Paul Adams and John Welch. In this case the testi-
mony was taken and the case printed, making a book of
about 550 pages. Thirty-two depositions were taken and
others were to have been questioned who did not testify.
The testimony covers the Brown and Welch controversy, of
which this and several other lawsuits were incidents. Some
of the deponants gave their opinion of the character and rep-
utation of their neighbors, and it was shown that the justice
who issued the precept to so summarily eject Morse from
his house, did refuse to recognize E. R. Holmes, S. H.
King and Charles Durell as sufficient surities on Morse's
bond for $600.00. A good many of the Portland lawyers
were engaged in the litigation, but in this case Henry M.
Fuller of Boston was counsel for Morse and Benjamim R.
Curtis, afterwards Judge , was counsel for the others.
Judge Woodbur} - delivered an opinion dismissing the bill,
but the grounds for the decision are unknown to the writer.
"tiuUaJ of tbyfatbtrt ihall bt tbf cbildrem.
Whom tbou tbtUt rmiks prinett in M tbt tartb,"
"^oved by an earnest desire to perpetuate the names of
'the ancient friends and neighbors of his parents, in
'the home of their first choice, names once familliar
as household words to the writer, a consciousness of
which yet remains in the misty clouds of memory, the com-
piler essays this publication , with an apology for attempt-
ing to perform in a short time, that to which should have
been given years of patient labor.
Our experience in collecting material for this book has
been substantially the same as reported by writers of town
histories generally ; to my appeals for information a few
have responded generously, some partially and many not
at all ; of tho last we make no complaint, nor must they.
No town history can be written free from the errors of omis-
sion and commission and if those in this little book, shall
incite the publication of a better history of Oxford, the com-
piler will be abundantl}'- rewarded.
To save space, the abreviations now so common in gen-
ealogical work are frequently used and the figures enclosed
in ( ) refer to map of roads on preceeding page and locates
place of residence. -. .
Thomas Abbott, son of Enos of Andover, Me., b. May
9, 1800, m. Nov. 30, 1820, Elizabeth, dau. of William and
Abigail Sampson of Rumfo.d, she b. April 23, 1801, died
Feb. 3, 1889. He was a blacksmith, lived at Andover and
Norway before coming to Oxford (134). He d. March 26,
Annals of Oxford. 127
James Munroe, b. Jan. 13, 1823.
Levi Bartlett, b. Sept. 23, 1824; m. Sarah P. D. Pratt.
John Gilman, b. Feb. 11, 1826; m. Elwine Murry.
Hiram Emery, b. Jan. 21, 1828; m. Hattie N. Johnson
and Esther Johnson.
James Monroe Abbott, son of Thomas, was born in
Andover, m. Jan. 7, 1849, Sarah Jane, dau. of William W.
and Sally (Lovejoy) Berry of Norway. She d. April 10,
1885. Children b. at Oxford :
Sarah Elizabeth, b, Dec. 19, 1849 ' ^- J^'^* 4' ^^5<^'
Laura Ella, b. Sept. 21, 1852; m. Rufus S. Penley.
Charles Otis, b. Nov. 18, 1853 ; m. Mary Ellen Chaplin.
Harriet N., b. July 16, 1855 ; m. William P. Lombard.
Maria Elizabeth, b. Nov. 9, 1858 ; m. Alfred Rock.
Levi Edgar, b. Oct. 29, i860.
Ambrose Allen, son of Ezra and Phebe (Gary)
Allen of Bridgewater Mass., b. 1784. He had settlement,
after his marriage, in South Berwick, removing from there
to Boston to engage in trade ; this venture, however, did
not prove successful and he returned to Maine. Some bus-
iness conected with his father-in-law's investments brought
him to Craigies Mills in 1825, where he died very sud-
denly, soon after his coming. After his death, his wife,
Sarah Adams, eldest dau. of Maj. Winthrop B, Norton,
and her children, were for a time members of her fathers
household and later occupied one of his farms (57).