White of the Revolutionary Army was an ancestor. She was
born in Randolph, Mass., December 16, 1836.
On December 25, i860, she was married in Randolph to
George Bradford Belcher, a manufacturer. She has two
children: Annie Thayer, born September 20, 1861, and Marion,
born December 22, 1864. Annie is a graduate of Thayer
Academy, Braintree, Mass. Marion graduated from the Stet-
son High School in Randolph and afterward attended Thayer
Academy, Miss Putnam's private school in Boston, and Lasell
Seminary, Auburndale, Mass. She was married November 18,
T891. t<> Harry Madison Cutts of Washington, D. C, whose
ancestors were from Virginia, and whose great-aunt was Dolly
Madison, for whom their daughter, Dorothy Madison, born
December 27, 1892, was named. Their son, George Belcher
Cutts, was born April 13, [895. Mrs. Cutis lives in Brookline,
wbere Dr. Cutts is a practicing physician.
Mrs. Belcher died November 17, 1885, at Randolph, Mass.
Pupils from 1849-1859
Ida M. Thayer, second daughter of Hon. Eli Thayer, founder
1 1 E the Oread Collegiate Institute, was
horn in the Xorth Tower of Oread
Castle. She entered the Primary
Department of the Institute in 1856,
and was a pupil at the school until
[867, after which time she was a
student in the Art Department until
In 1881 she went abroad, and con-
tinued the study of Art, working in
Florence under Mons. H. Duchene
De Yere, and in Paris with Krug.
Returning in 1883, she had a
studio for a while at the Oread, and later had studios in
Pawtucket and Providence. R. I.,
Her mother was Caroline M.
Capron of Blackstone, Mass., whose
maternal grandmother was a Put-
nam, a member of the Gen. Israel
Putnam family. Benjamin Thayer,
great-grandfather of Ida Thayer,
married Ruth Alden, a great-great-
granddaughter of John Alden of
the Plymouth Colony, and of the
Mayflower. Ferdinando Thayer,
another ancestor, was one of the
earliest colonists of Mendon. Mass.,
coming to America in 1662.
Address: to Hawthorne St.. Worcester.
and in Worcester.
Julia F. Thayer, daughter of Cushman and Miranda (Pond)
Thayer, was born in Millville, Mass., November 12, 1840. She
was a pupil at the Oread in 1852, and later a teacher in the
preparatory department. She died in Worcester, December
Mary D. Thayer, daughter of Cushman and Miranda (Pond)
Thayer, was born in Mendon, Mass.. September 24, 1835. She
was a lineal descendant of John Alden on her father's side,
130 Oread Collegiate Institute
and both her mother's grandfathers were in the Revolutionary
War. She was a student at the Oread in 1852. She died at
Port Monmouth, N. J., on January 17, 1867.
Mary Ann Tourtellot, daughter of Paris Tourtellot, whose
family was of French Huguenot descent, and of Mary Ann
Williams, his wife, was born in Sutton, Mass., April 22, 1831.
She was at the Oread in 1853.
On October 17, 1855, she was married in Sutton to William
E. Pease, merchant, postmaster and town official. They have
four daughters : Mary Emily, Annie, Elizabeth Sanf ord, and
Kate Francis ; and one son, Emory Sanf ord. Mary, Annie,
and Kate were pupils at Mount Holyoke Seminary. Mary is
a graduate. She is married to Rev. W. S. Hawkes. Kate is
married to Rev. A. H. Proffitt.
Address : Mrs. W. E. Pease, Worcester.
Harriet F. Waite, daughter of David and Clarissa (Lakin)
Waite, was born in Paxton, Mass., December 8, 1831, and
attended the Oread in the early part of Miss Dodge's admin-
istration. She was married in Paxton to Rev. Charles M.
Temple of Rutland, Mass., on September 4, 1856, and died in
Sturgis, Mich., February 27, 1872, leaving three children:
Charles Edward, born July 13, 1858, graduated from Michigan
University, and is a lawyer ; Francis Wayland, born May 8,
i860, also graduated at Michigan University and is a dentist;
Rosabelle Clara, born December 27, 1865, studied at North-
field Seminary, and at Wellesley College, and is a musician.
All were born in White Pigeon, Mich., and the two eldest are
Juliet Augusta Warner, daughter of Earl and Ffarriet
(Gilbert) Warner, was born in Brooklyn, Conn., March 20,
1834. She entered the Oread September 1, 1850, afterwards
teaching classes in English, and remaining there until the
spring of 1853, when she went to the Salisbury Mansion School
to teach with Rev. Mr. Bent. She left Worcester in Septem-
ber, 1853, and taught in Norwich, Conn., for one term. She
was married in January, 1854, to Edmund Perkins, a lawyer of
Norwich. Mr. Perkins died in August, 1865, and his wife was
Pupils from 1849-1859
left with her two children to make a place for herself and for
them in the world.
From February until October, 1868, Mrs. Perkins taught in
a grammar school in Brooklyn, N. Y., resigning then to teach
in the grammar department of Packer Institute, Brooklyn,
where she was shortly after chosen
Instructor in Elocution. She was
a pupil of the elder Prof. William
Russell, who considered her voice
to be of remarkable power and
compass; also of Mrs. George
Vandenhoff, author and actress,
whose praise of her was unquali-
fied. She gave readings in Brook-
lyn, Hartford, and other places in
Connecticut, as well as at Packer
Institute. She also wrote several
plays, songs and poems, "Bridget's
Story," written in 1874, being
prominent among these. This work was a repetition, on a
larger scale, of what she did at the Oread in her younger days,
when she contributed to the J 'oicc, an Oread publication, and
wrote a romance for the school.
Mrs. Perkins died in Xew York City, March 30, 1875, an d
on April 2 funeral services were conducted at Packer Institute,
and also in Norwich, Conn. Two sons survive her, Robert
W., born in Norwich in 1855, an d now engaged in banking
there, and Donald G., born in Norwich in 1858, and now a
prominent lawyer in that city.
Venah Jane Warren, daughter of William Warren, of old
Colonial descent, and Abigail Lyman (Banister) Warren, was
born in Brighton. Mass., March 12, 1838. She was the only
sister of the late Hon. William Wirt Warren, for man}' years
a prominent citizen of Brighton. She attended the Oread in
[855—56. Miss Warren was from her early years a member
of the First Parish Church, Brighton, and a leader in all affairs
connected with it. She was Superintendent of its Sunday
School for ten years. As chairman of the Brighton Branch
of the Moral Education Association she gave evidence of her
breadth of thought and wide range of sympathies.
132 Oread Collegiate Institute
In the various women's clubs and guilds of her native town
she bore an active part, and was always a strong influence
for the highest ideals in society. She died May 18, 1889.
Jane E. Webber, who attended the Oread the second and
third term of the year 1852-53, is a sister of Mr. George N.
Webber, Oread instructor for that year in Rhetoric and Phil-
osophy. She was born in Pomfret, Conn., and was the daugh-
ter of Ariel and Lucina (Holmes) Webber. She was married
to Henry Phillips, a farmer, of Woodstock, Conn., and has two
children, Jenny and Wendal. Both are unmarried.
Address : Mrs. Henry Phillips, Woodstock, Conn.
Elizabeth N. Weeks, youngest daughter of Captain Hiram
and Margaret Dunham (Cottle) Weeks, was born in Colches-
ter, Conn., February 14, 1842, and attended the Oread in 1854
and 1855. She was married in 1866 to Stephen Irwin of
Southbridge, Mass. A son, Stephen, Jr., was born in 1868,
a daughter, Margaret, in 1870, and a son, Charles, in 1879.
Mrs. Irwin and her youngest son both died in 1897. Her
husband had died some years earlier in the South, where he
had gone in search of health.
Margaret H. Weeks, eldest daughter of Captain Hiram
and Margaret Dunham (Cottle)
Weeks, was born at Martha's Vine-
yard, Mass., April 10, 1835. Her
girlhood was spent in Colchester,
where she was a pupil at the Acad-
emy for several years. She en-
tered the Oread in 1852.
She was married in Maiden,
Mass., October 4, 1864, to Joseph
Lucian Shipley, Editor and Proprie-
tor of the Springfield Union, a daily
evening paper of high character.
Mr. Shipley was a member of the
Massachusetts Legislature in 1893, and again in 1894. He died
in 1894, leaving no children.
Address: Mrs. Margaret W. Shipley, 89 High St., Spring-
Pupils from 1849-1859
Harriet Westbrook, daughter of John Beekman and Harriet
(Briggs) Westbrook, was born in Bethel, Me., February 12,
1850. Her ancestry was English, Dutch, and Huguenot. She
attended the Oread from 1858-1861 ; was in school till 1869,
and then taught one year. She was married December 27,
1870, to Albert E. Dunning in Kingston, N. Y., and since that
time has lived in Boston or its immediate neighborhood. Her
husband has been pastor of a church in Roxbury, Secretary
of the Congregational Sunday School Society, and Editor of
the Congregationalist. He was graduated from Yale College in
1867, has received the degree of Doctor of Divinity, and for
nearly twenty years has been a
member of the International Sunday
School Lesson Committee. Their
children were all born in Boston
(Roxbury District). Harry West-
brook Dunning, born December 7,
1 87 1, graduated with honors from
Yale College in 1894, and received
from there the degree of Doctor
of Philosophy in 1897. He taught
four years in Yale, Department of
Biblical Literature. He has traveled
largely. Morton Dexter Dunning,
born December 14. 1872, was graduated from Amherst College
in 1896, and from Hartford Theological Seminary in 1899. He
was ordained to the ministry of the Congregational Church, and
was settled for over two years at Forest Grove, Ore. Since
June, 1902, he has been a missionary of the American Board at
the Doshisha in Japan. He married in 1899 Mary Kingsbury
Ward of Newton Centre, Mass. Albert Beach Dunning, born
July 31, 1875, has taken a special course in Harvard College.
Emily Beekman Dunning, born June 21, 1881, graduated from
Brookline High School in 1899. She is a graduate of Vassar
College with a record almost unequalled for scholarship — one
that has never been surpassed in the College.
Mrs. Dunning has been active in church work, is a member of
the Brookline Tuesday Club, has written a little for publication,
and has made some club and church addresses, largely the obser-
vations of travel in the Orient. She has drawn, painted and
Oread Collegiate Institute
modeled in the School of Design, New York City, and the Bos-
ton Art Museum.
Address : Mrs. A. E. Dunning-, Kilsyth Road, Brookline,
Sarah Maria Westbrook, daughter of John Beekman and
Harriet Brown (Briggs) Westbrook, was born in New Glouces-
ter, Me., July 31, 1847. Among her ancestors on her father's
side were Jonathan Westbrook, an officer in Cromwell's army,
who fled to this country at the Restoration ; Frederic West-
brook, a member of the Continental Army and a General in
the War of 1812; Wilhelmus Beekman, who came to this
country from Holland in 1647, and held the position of Orphan
Master to the colony of New Amsterdam under Gov. Stuyve-
sant; and Tjesck Beekman, a member of the Continental Army
and an original member of the Society of the Cincinnati. Her
mother's ancestry was English.
She entered the Oread in September, 1858, and remained
until June, 1861. She then attended Codman Hill School, Dor-
chester, Mass. She has lived in New York State, but now
resides in Massachusetts.
Address: Clinton and Cotswold Roads, Brookline, Mass.
Almira Elizabeth Westcott was born in East Killingly,
Conn., March 20, 1834, and was the daughter of Henry and
Pupils from 1840-1859 135
Almira (Browning) Westcott. Her mother was a native of
Miss Westcott entered the Oread when only one tower was
built, and was a pupil there for the larger part of two years,
during which time the other tower and connecting hall were
brought to completion.
After leaving school she remained at home, caring for her
father and mother, and as housekeeper for her brother, Henry
D. Westcott. She has been actively interested in the work
of the Baptist Church in Danielson, Conn., her home for the
past thirty years.
Her father and mother died several years ago, and her
brother in October, 1903.
Address: Danielson, Conn.
Adelaide Wheeler, daughter of Benjamin and Alice (Pal-
mer) Wheeler, was born on September 9, 1840, at Point Shir-
ley, near Boston, Mass. Her great-great-grandfather. General
Joseph Palmer, was at one time President of the Colonial Con-
gress ; he was at the battles of Lexington and Bunker Hill and
in 1775 was appointed to serve on thirty-five committees; his
son, John Pease Palmer, a graduate of Harvard College, was a
participant in the Boston Tea Party.
Adelaide Wheeler was a pupil at the Oread in 1854. She
was married on January 7, 1858, at her home in South Boston,
to Edwin A. Simonds of Boston. After their marriage they
moved to Chicago, 111., where they resided for many years.
They had three children : Mary Adelaide, born in South Bos-
ton, November 1, 1859; Alice Isabelle, born in South Boston,
September 7, 1861 ; Benjamin Wheeler, born in Erie, Penn.,
May 13, 1869, died January 25, 1873.
After her husband's death, Mrs. Simonds with her two
daughters removed to Brookline, Mass., where she died on
July 5, 1894.
Sarah M. Wheeler was born in Petersham, Mass., December
16, 1837. She was the daughter of Charles and Almira (New-
ton) Wheeler. She attended the Oread in 1856. After this,
her health being frail, she lived quietly at home until her death
on February 21, 1877.
i 3 6
Oread Collegiate Institute
Clarissa Jane Wheelock, daugh-
ter of Calvin W. and Mary A. (Le-
land) Wheelock, was born in Hol-
liston, Mass., March 14, 1838. In
1852 her family removed to Men-
don, where her father was for
many years a prominent boot man-
ufacturer. She entered the Oread
in the spring of 1853. On Novem-
ber 23, 1863, she was married to
Charles C. P. Hastings of Mendon,
Mass. She died in that town June
Sarah Elizabeth Wheelock attended the Oread from the
fall of 1856 until the spring of 1857.
She was born at Uxbridge, Mass., January 21, 1839, and
was the daughter of Charles A. and Nancy (Seagrave)
Wheelock. One of her ancestors, Ralph Wheelock, came to
this country from England in 1637, and settled in Dedham,
Mass. In 1644 he was appointed teacher of the first free
school supported by town tax in Massachusetts.
After leaving the Oread she held the position of organist
in the Unitarian Church at Uxbridge.
She was married June 18, 1861, at Uxbridge to Eben B.
Hayward, a merchant, and died two years later, on Septem-
ber 15, 1863.
Adelphia W. White, called at the Oread "Delia," was born
March 10, 1840, and was the only daughter of Colonel Josiah
and Adelphia (Wilder) White of Petersham, Mass. Colonel
White was prominent in the town, and Superintendent of the
Unitarian Sunday School for many years.
Miss White attended the Oread about 1856. She died at
her home in Petersham, November 12, 1861.
Eliza Fox White was a pupil at the Oread in 1854-56, and
but for illness would have remained to graduate. She was
Pupils from 1849-1859
the daughter of James and Eliza (Healey) White, and was
born in Worcester, March 30. 1835. On August 18, 1857,
she was married to Benjamin
Dwight Allen, an organist, and at
that time teacher of music at the
Oread. Mr. Allen was one of the
founders of the American Guild of
Organists. They had a family of
five children. Of these only two
are now living, Mabel, who is
^^tfL^ %%•-■> married to Rev. William W. Sleeper
w mL ,J| W Wellesley, and Charlotte Jay,
iH A JhS )&? now Mrs. Charles II. Farnsworth.
^O ^^ wr A daughter, Eliza Salisbury, and
^^*"^^^ two sons, James White and Ben-
jamin Lincoln Wayland, are the children not living.
Mrs. Allen died August 18, 1894.
Eliza Jane Whittemore was born in Worcester, July 30,
1836, the daughter of Charles Whittemore and Jane Barnes
Allen, his wife. The Whittemores came from England, and
were among the earliest settlers of Leicester, Mass. They
trace an unbroken family line to the time of the Norman inva-
sion under William the Conqueror.
The first ancestor of Jane Barnes
Allen in this country, her grand-
father, John Allen, came to Ply-
mouth, Mass., where he married a
wife of French descent, by whom
he had two sons. Leaving home
on a foreign voyage, he was so
long gone he was given up as lost,
and duly mourned by his family.
After a while his wife, believing
herself a widow, was induced to
marry again — and then, like Enoch
Arden, John Allen returned to find
his place filled by another, a wealthy shipowner of Plymouth.
The presents he had brought for wife and children he sent
to them from Boston, then took ship again, and sailed away,
Oread Collegiate Institute
and never more was seen in his own land. When his wife
that was, then Mrs. Stephens, knew that he was alive and
had returned and gone again, she shut herself in her chamber
and would see no one for many
Eliza J. Whittemore entered the
Oread in 1852. On October 11,
1856, she was married to Horace
Lasselle, a physician, who died
January 10, 1863. A son, Charles,
was born of this marriage, June
13, 1858. He is a druggist. On
December 27, 1865, Mrs. Lasselle
became Mrs. John L. Utley. Mr.
Utley was a lawyer. He died
March 21, 1893. A daughter,
Grace, born to Mrs. Utley, March
2^, 1869, died October 20, 1875.
Address : Mrs. Eliza W. Utley, yj Alvarado Ave., Lake
Elizabeth Willard, who came to the Oread from Peters-
ham about 1854, married Rev. William Barry, a Unitarian min-
ister, settled successively in Framingham, Lowell and Chicago.
Mrs. Barry spent the latter part of her life with her daughter
in Chicago. She died eight or ten years ago.
Mary Gates Willard came to the Oread from Still River,
Mass., in the very early fifties. She was born in Still River,
May 9, 1835, an d was the daughter of Luther and Mary
Miss Willard was an invalid all her life, being confined to
her bed for over thirty years. During the last part of her life
her health was somewhat improved and she was able to be
about the house and sometimes take short drives. She died
February 19, 1901, in Still River, in the same house in which
she was born and had alwavs lived.
Ellen Louise Williams was born in llolden, Mass., in 1837,
and was the only child of Air. and Mrs. Albert C. Williams, both
Pupils from 1849-1859 139
of whom were natives of Sutton. Her father was in early
life a machinist, then a manufacturer of cotton cloth. After-
wards he became interested in coal oil (when oil was first
extracted from coal), and later, when oil-wells were found,
spent much of his time in the oil-fields of Ohio. Her mother
was a direct descendant of the McClellans of Sutton, Mass.
Miss Williams attended the Oread from 1853 to 1855. She
was married in Ohio in i860 to William H. Fairbanks of
Holden, whose grandfather, Jonathan, was a direct descendant
of Jonathan Fairbanks of Dedham, Mass.
Mrs. Fairbanks has lived all her life on the old Fairbanks
homestead in Holden, where her four children were born.
Allele Louise, born in 1861, graduated from the Worcester
High School and afterwards attended Miss Ava Williams'
school in Worcester. She married Charles A. Vaughan of
W< ircester in 1894, and has two children, George Fairbanks and
Margaret. Mrs. Fairbanks' second daughter, Jennie M., born
in 1865, graduated from the Worcester High School and the
Worcester State Normal School. Edward E., born in 1867,
was educated in Holden, and is now a dealer in oils in Worces-
ter. W. Grout, who was born in 1874, died in 1898.
Mr. Fairbanks was an invalid for many years and died in
Address : Mrs. Ellen W. Fairbanks. Holden, Mass.
Louise Holman Wood was born in Fitchburg, Mass., July
14, 1834. Her father, Nathaniel Wood, of Holden, Mass., was
at that time a lawyer in Fitchburg. He had married Louisa
Holman of Bolton, whose father was in active service during
the War of the Revolution. Louise, their only child, was at
the Oread in its early years, leaving in 1852. On May 2, 1861,
she was married in Fitchburg to James R. Wellman. a physi-
cian, who died some years ago.
Mrs. Wellman has been especially interested in the Baldwins-
ville Hospital Cottages for Children, the Shut-in Society
(the first organization of that name and purpose), the local
charities of Fitchburg, and other benevolent associations.
Address: Mrs. Louise H. Wellman, 33 Adams St.. Fitch-
Oread Collegiate Institute
Central Falls, R. I.
Sarah Frances Wood was the daughter of Joseph and Phila
Thayer (Freeman) Wood, and was born June 25, 1841, in
A town in Massachusetts, Woodville, bears
her father's name. Her mother was
a cousin of Eli Thayer, the founder
of the Oread. She came to the
Oread in 1851, when only ten years
of age, under the especial care of
Miss Rebecca Capron, then teacher
of Music there, and remained in
that institution for several years.
After leaving the Oread she con-
tinued her studies, graduating from
the Young Ladies High School in
Providence, R. I., and remained
afterwards at home until her mar-
riage, August 12, 1868, to Rev. Joseph Ward, a graduate of
Phillips Academy (Andover), Brown University, and Andover
Theological Seminary. The same year Mr. Ward was sent out
by the Congregational Home Missionary Society as the first
missionary to Dakota, then an undeveloped territory, contain-
ing a comparatively small number of widely scattered pioneer
settlers. For several years his parish was the whole of this
territory. As Dakota rapidly de- _______
veloped and increased in popu-
lation, Mr. and Mrs. Ward found
thrust upon them, not only the
vast labor of the establishment
and development of Congregational
churches in the state in number
proportionate to its rapid growth,
but also the leadership in educa-
tional matters. Mr. Ward was
the founder and first President of
Yankton College, and helped to
establish the public school system
of the state. He was also deeply
interested in Dakota's political life, and was a member of the
first Constitutional Convention. Their splendid work in Dakota
has made the names of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Ward among the
Pupils from 1849- 1859 141
most prominent in American Missionary history. In the course
of his ministry Mr. Ward received the honorary degree of D.D.
Mrs. Ward has five children, all born in Yankton : Ethel
Tufts, born July 15, 1873, was married at Yankton, December
25, 1893, to the second son of Rev. W. B. D. Gray, at present
Joint Superintendent of the State of Wyoming for the Sunday
School and Publishing Society, and the Congregational Home
Missionary Society; Donald Butler, born October 1, 1876, is
a graduate of the Boston University Law School ; Freeman,
born August 9, 1879, was graduated at Yale in the class of
1903, and is now an Assistant in Geology at Yale ; Sheldon,
born March 27, 1882, was a student at Yale in the class of 1906
for one year, and is now in business at Yankton ; Margaret H.,
born July 14, 1885, is a student at Xorthfield Seminary.
Mr. Ward died December 11, 1889. Since his death Mrs.
Ward has been pastor of a small Home Missionary Church, has
assisted in raising funds for Yankton College, and has been
Matron at Hillside Cottage, Northfield Seminary, East North-
field, Mass. She has written for missionary magazines.
Address: Mrs. Joseph Ward. 912 Mulberry St., Yankton,
Emeline A. Woodbury was born in Sutton, Mass., October
8, 1837, and was the daughter of Leonard and Emeline (Pratt)
Woodbury. She entered the Oread in 1849. Since leaving
school, in 185 1, she has lived most of the time in Anoka, Minn.,
having moved there in 1854. She lived for a short time in
Ottumwa, Iowa. In Anoka, January 6, 1855, she was married
to Daniel I. King, a carpenter. Their only child, Katherine
A. King, is a teacher in the Duluth Public Schools.
Address : Mrs. Daniel I. King, Anoka, Minn.
Emily Woodcock was born in Leicester, Mass., February
2, 1832, and was the daughter of Josephus and Catherine S.
(Davis) Woodcock. She was a pupil at the Oread in 1854.
Most of her life was passed in her native town, where she
took part in the charitable work conducted by the First Con-
gregational Church. She was interested in Art. and herself
an artist of good ability. She died in Worcester, March
142 Oread Collegiate Institute
Maria Woodcock, cousin of Emily, was the daughter of