Having no children, she has been able to give herself more
freely to the larger world, and she
has been active in both church and
club life. In the course of her
church work, which has been always
nearest her heart, it has been her
privilege to lead a class, with a mem-
bership of fifty married women, in
Bible study, and to preside over the
Young People's Association of the
Home and Foreign Missionary So-
cieties, and also over an Ecclesiasti-
cal History Class, all connected with
the First Baptist Church of Dayton,
Ohio, where she resides. Her ability and proficiency in the
study of Literature, both ancient and modern, and in the his-
tory and criticism of Literature and of the Fine Arts, have
placed her at the head of the Women's Literary Club, the
pioneer women's club of the city, and made her President of the
Mozart Society (which unites musical and literary forces),
and of the Outlook, also a literary club.
She has also held the office of President of the Ohio State
Federation of Clubs. While writing and delivering many
essays and addresses in connection with her religious and lit-
erary work, she has never written for publication and has
studiously declined all invitations in that direction. Neverthe-
less, an address delivered at Denver, Colo., at the Biennial
Meeting of the General Federation of Women's Clubs, found
its way into print in spite of objections.
Her present address is : Mrs. James A. Robert, 128 West
First St., Dayton, Ohio.
Juliet L. Wilcox was born in Cuthbert, Randolph County,
Ga., July 24, 1843. Her father, Horace Wilcox, came from
Vermont. Her mother, Sally Brown Howell, was a member
of the Brown family of Providence, R. I., and a lineal descend-
ant of Roger Williams. Miss W r ilcox entered the Oread in
Pupils from 1859-1864
September, [861, and graduating the following July, read an
essay upon "The Roman Empire under the Antonines." She
was considered the best history scholar in her class.
After leaving the Oread she taught
school in Providence for five years.
># ^" %- She was married December 6, 1866,
A^t^jPi to James Pearl Reynolds, a Xew
Â£^r \+ f York State farmer, and lived near
kL Rochester. X. Y., for one year,
^M ^3 when she journeyed West, and for
seven years made her home near
Traverse City, Mich. Since that
time she has lived in Olivet, in the
She has five children, all now
living in the state of Michigan,
and all with one exception born
there: James William, born October 18, 1867, in Xew Salem,
X. Y.. was married in 1891. has two children, and lives in
Battle Creek, Mich. ; Sarah Knowles, born October 18, 1869,
in Traverse City, was married in
1888 to Oscar Butterfield, has three
children, and lives in Battle Creek ;
Annie Estelle, born October 24,
1872, in Inland, Benzie County, a
graduate of Olivet College in 1896,
was married in 1900 to B. D. Xiles.
also a graduate of Olivet, and now
a medical student in the University
of Michigan: Candace Wilcox, born
February 7, 1875, in Walton, Grand
Traverse Co., graduated at Olivet in
1896, and is now teaching in Kala-
mazoo: Everett Pearl, born at Walton, April 19, 1877, was
graduated from Olivet College in 1900. and is now Principal
of the High School and teacher of the Sciences at Hillsdale.
Address : Mrs. Juliet L. Revnolds, Olivet. Mich.
Oread Collegiate Institute
CLASS OF I863
M. Abbie Tilton, daughter of Josiah H. and Mary Elizabeth
(Emery) Tilton, was born October 7, 1841, in Limerick, Me.
Her father served sixty years as a minister in the Baptist
denomination and still lives at the age of eighty-eight, vigorous
and active for one of his years. Her great-grandfather on her
mother's side, Joseph Noyes of Haverhill, Mass., served in the
War of the Revolution as Lieutenant (probably Lieutenant-
Colonel). Abbie entered the Oread in September, 1861, and
graduated in June, 1863, being the only graduate that year.
The first twenty years after leaving school she was engaged
in teaching and other employments. The last twenty years
have been spent at home with her parents.
Address: 139 High St., Reading, Mass.
CLASS OF 1864
Augusta P. Banvard entered the school in 1861, graduating
in June, 1864. She was born at Salem, Mass., August 27,
1 84 1. Her father, Joseph Banvard, was the son of a French
Huguenot, and became a noted Baptist clergyman, receiving the
degree of D.D. from Shurtleff College. Upper Alton. 111., and
also the degree of A.M. from Columbian College, Washington,
D. C. Lie married Martha R. Prentice, (laughter of Nathaniel
Pupils from 1859-1864 1S3
Shepherd Prentice, M.D., for many years a resident of Rox-
bury. .Mass. Dr. Prentice's father lived in stirring- times, and
was a member of the famous Boston Tea Party.
( )n November 14. 1877. Miss Banvard was married at Nepon-
set, Mass.. to Mr. Charles M. Fales, a grocer. She is actively
interested in various forms of church, charitable and missionary
Address : Mrs. Charles M. Fales, 8 Minot Place, Xeponset,
Kate A. Harrington became an Oread pupil in September.
1862, graduating in June, 1864. She was born at Westboro,
Mass., August 10, 1843. Her father's name was Samuel Austin
Harrington, and the maiden name of her mother was Catherine
Warren. Her parents were of sturdy New England descent,
their ancestors being early settlers of Worcester County.
Her address is Westboro. Mass.
Flora Hinds was a pupil at the Oread for several years,
graduating in June. 1864. She was born February 8. 1837,
and was the daughter of Ephraim Hinds, a lawver. who was
graduated from Harvard College in 1805. Her mother,
whose maiden name was Maria Hapgood, was the daughter of
Hutchins Hapgood. a leading citizen of Petersham. .Mass.
Miss Hinds was married at West Boylston. Mass.. May 1.
1867, to Charles H. Walker, a merchant of Columbus, ( )hio.
Oread Collegia! e Institute
Mrs. Walker became the mother of four daughters : Ola Maria,
born June 3, 1869; Flora Hortense, born February 22, 1871 ;
Alice Emma, born in 1872; and Edith Nora, born in August,
1873. all in Columbus, Ohio. The eldest daughter was gradu-
ated from the State Normal School of Greeley, Colo. Three of
the daughters are married.
Mrs. Walker was graduated from the Oread with an excel-
lent record, and her lovely Christian character secured for her
many friends ; but her health was frail, and she died March
20, 1890, at Ouincy, 111.
Louise J. Hine became a pupil
at the Oread in 1863, graduating in
She was an excellent student, and
a person of unblemished Christian
character, but her life was brief,
as she died in a few months after
returning to her home at Col-
Louise A. Packard came to the Oread as a pupil in Feb-
ruary, 1862, graduating in June, 1864. Her father's name was
I k-nry H. Packard, and the maiden name of her mother Louise
Pupils from 1859-1864
Braman. Miss Packard was born November 4, 1845, at East
Randolph, Mass., the name of this town having since been
changed to Holbrook.
In 1878 she was married to a lawyer, Mr. Hamilton L. Gibbs.
Ten years later Mr. Gibbs built Hotel Hamilton at Brockton,
Mass. where Mrs. Gibbs has since resided, and of which she
has had charge since the death of her husband in 1893.
Address : Mrs. Louise P. Gibbs, Brockton, Mass.
Nellie Frances Rogers was enrolled as pupil at the Oread in
1862, graduating in June. 1864. She is a native of Worcester,
and has been a resident of that city almost continuously. Her
father, Thomas Moore Rogers, was a direct descendant of the
Oread Collegiate Institute
Thomas Rogers who came to America in the Mayflower, and
was a signer of the compact according to the provisions of
which the Mayflower Pilgrims were to be governed. This
Mayflower ancestor was Miss Rogers' eighth great-grandfather.
Her mother, whose name before her marriage was Mary Stevens
Rice, is a descendant of Gersham Rice, an early settler in Wor-
cester. Miss Rogers is a member of Colonel Timothy Bigelow
Chapter of the D. A. R., and she is also much interested in club
and charitable work, having held various offices in connection
with the "Woman's Club of Worcester, and also of local chari-
Miss Rogers resides at 28 High St., Worcester, Mass.
Hattie A. Smith became a pupil at the Oread in February,
1863, graduating in June, 1864. She is the daughter of Samuel
and Harriet Dunham Smith, and was born at Uxbridge. Mass.,
May 26, 1844.
Since leaving school Miss Smith's life has been a very busy
one. She is connected with the Associated Artists of New
York, and her skill and taste are in constant requisition by those
who wish an artist's help in decorating and beautifying their
Miss Smith's present address is 9 Walnut St., Worcester.
Sarah Katherine Underwood became an ( )read pupil in
1 >ctober, [862, graduating in June. [864. She is the daughter
Pupils from 1859-1864
of Rev. Enoch I). Underwood, whose ancestors early settled
in Maryland and Virginia. Her mother, whose maiden name
was Harriet Flint Denny, is a native of Leicester, Mass., a
descendant of the Dennys and Hen-
shaws, old and well-known families
of Worcester County. Miss Under-
wood was horn April 13, 1843, at
Wauwatosa, Wis. She is allied to
very many of the oldest and most
respected families of Xew England,
some of whom were descendants of
John Alden, while others served
both in Colonial and Revolutionary
In 1870 she was married to Mr.
Charles E. Curtis of New York, the
marriage taking place at Wauwa-
tosa. Wis. Mrs. Curtis has been a resident of three states,
Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota, and has traveled both
in America and in Europe. For about twenty-five years she
was engaged in teaching, being a
teacher in a high school fourteen
years. She is actively interested in
woman's clubs and in school, chari-
table and mission work, both at
home and abroad. Having traveled
extensively, she often gives papers
before clubs and .societies on travel
and kindred subjects.
She is a member of the Daughters
of the American Revolution, and is
also eligible to both the Mayflower
and Colonial Dames Societies. She
has one son, Frederick William
Curtis, horn November 7. 1871. at Fruitport, Mich. He
was educated as a mechanical engineer, and is employed
as Division Superintendent on the "Soo" Railway, lie is
Address: Mrs. Sarah K. Curtis, 1678 Hennepin Ave., Minne-
Oread Collegiate Institute
Loura F. Ainsworth entered the Oread from Barre, Mass.,
in i860, and remained there two years. She has lived a quiet
life since then in her native town.
Address : Barre, Mass.
Clara F. Allen was born in Worcester, April 29, 1847. Her
father, Josiah Waite Allen, was seventh in descent from Walter
Allen of Newbury, who emigrated from England in 1640. He
was a mason, and died in Worcester, August 18, 1870. Her
mother was Nancy Blinds, a descendant of the emigrant James
Hinds, who came from England to Salem, Mass., in 1637. She
died at New Haven, Conn., September 18, 1897. Miss Allen's
ancestors were pioneer settlers of the towns of Barre and Hub-
She attended the Oread in 1863-65, and was married at
Worcester, March 28, 1867, to Rev. Lucius Manlius Sargent,
a I laptist clergyman of Worcester and North Grafton. They
had five children: Lucius Walter, born May 7, 1868, is a
graduate of Worcester Academy in the class of 1885, and is
now Massachusetts State Supervisor of Drawing; George
Allen, born December 6, 1871, is also a graduate of Worcester
Academy (1895), and is at present employed by the Callahan
Supply Co. of Worcester ; Fred Augustus, who was born in
1874. died the next year; Edith Clara, born July 13, 1879, is
attending the State Normal School at North Adams; Nelson
Warren, born September 23. 1880, is employed at the N. Y.,
\. II. & II. freight offices in Worcester. The first three were
born in Worcester, the others in North Grafton.
.Mrs. Sargent died in North Grafton, October 29, 1886.
Emma Edith Andrews was born in Boylston, Mass., March
13. [846. I ler father was Willard Andrews and her mother
Dolly Houghton, both descendants of early settlers from Eng-
land. She was at the < )read from February till December of
the year [864. She passed a (|iiiet life at home until her mar-
Pupils from 1850-1864
riage at Boylston, May 4, 1886, to John A. Ware, a farmer.
In 1889 they went West, where Mr. Ware was engaged in
mining and in the real estate business. He died June 2, 1898.
Address: Mrs. Emma E. Ware, Seattle, Wash.
Clara Amelia Baldwin was a pupil at the Oread from Sep-
tember, 1861, to June, 1862. She was born July 20, 1845, m
Nashua, N. H. Her father. Josephus Baldwin, was a success-
ful manufacturer of bobbins and shuttles, and a distant relative
of Loammi Baldwin, the famous civil engineer, from whom the
Baldwin apple was named. Her mother, Nancy Blanchard,
was the daughter of a Revolutionary soldier.
Miss Baldwin was married in Nashua, N. H., September 13,
1864, to Roger W. Porter, a commercial traveler. Mr. and
Mrs. Porter have had four children, all born in Nashua : Clara
Grace, born October 15, 1865, died June 21, 1866; Pauline
Elizabeth, born February 24, 1867; Edwin, born in April, 1869,
died in June, 1869; Annie Baldwin, born August 23, 1872.
Pauline was married to Edwin S. Bigelow of Lowell on Septem-
ber 21, 1892.
Address: Mrs. Roger W. Porter, 50 East Pearl St., Nashua,
Kate Barry was the daughter of Amasa Stetson and Cath-
erine (Riley) Barry. Her father was born in Boston, Mass.,
March 23, 182 1. and was the son of William and Esther S.
Oread Collegiate Institute
Barry. Her mother was born in Middletown, Conn., March
12, 1826, and was the daughter of Calvin and Eunice M. Riley.
The Barrys were Norman â€” not Celtic â€” having come from Nor-
mandy to England with William
the Conqueror, and in Ireland go
back to 1 184, when Philip Barry,
a brave commander, was sent from
England to Ireland by King Henry,
accompanied by his brother Gerald,
distinguished as the great histo-
rian of Ireland, to whom was en-
trusted the education of the King's
son, John, to prepare the latter
for the government of Ireland.
Her father was also a descendant
of Charles Barry, who came to
America from Ireland, settled in
Virginia and then moved to Boston. His ancestry, both in
England and Ireland, embraces many distinguished and illus-
trious personages. Kate Barry's mother's ancestry goes back to
Richard Montague Riley, son of Peter and Eleanor (Montague)
Riley, who was born about 16 14, and settled in Wethersfield,
Conn., in 165 1. Among his descendants in America may be
numbered many persons of note and
Kate Barry was born September
1, 1845, at Alton, 111. She attended
the Oread in the year 1862-63.
She was married at Alton, 111., Octo-
ber 18, 1866, to William Liaker Gil-
bert, a lawyer of Cairo, 111. Her
husband is one of the leading and
best known attorneys of southern
Illinois. Pie was for seventeen years
Corporation Counsel of the city of
Cairo, for thirty-seven years attor-
ney for the Illinois Central R. R. and
the City National Bank of Cairo, and still lias a large practice.
He was born at Kaskaskia, 111., September 24, 1837, received a
classical education, and is a graduate of the Harvard Law
School in the class of i860, with the degrees of A.M. and LL.B.
Pupils from 1859-1864
They have three sons: Miles Safford, born September 2,
1868, married Helen E. Judson, October 4, 1899; William
Candee, born January 7, 1870, married Ethel T. Ogden, October
8, 1902; and Barry, born May 16, 1876, married May R. Peter-
son, October 15, 1901. All three sons are practicing lawyers,
and have had a classical education. The two eldest graduated
with the degree of LL.B. from the Harvard Law School, and
the youngest is a graduate in Law of Northwestern University.
Mrs. Gilbert has for many years been a member of the
Woman's Club and the Library Association of Cairo, 111., is
Vice President of the Children's Home and is a prominent and
influential worker as a member and officer in the Church Guild
of the Church of the Redeemer at Cairo.
She has written and delivered several papers before the
uoman's Club, but charitable and domestic work has princi-
pally engaged her attention.
Address: Mrs. William 15. Gilbert, 2800 Washington Ave.,
Mary B. Blake, who was at the Oread in 1863-64, was the
daughter of Asa and Harriet (Harding) Blake. She was born
April 12, 1839, in Norfolk, Mass., and her home is now in Nor-
Mary was a day scholar at the Oread, and boarded in Wor-
cester with her aunt, Mrs. Harding. Sarah Bosworth lived at
the same house, and the two srirls attended the Oread together.
192 Oread Collegiate Institute
For the past years she has had a pleasant home with her
invalid sister, and her life has been a quiet but useful one, spent
in caring - for her sister and other members of her family.
Address: Norwood, Mass.
Sarah L. Bosworth was born in Medford, Mass., December
31, 1844. She was the daughter of Rev. G. W. Bosworth, D.D.,
and his wife, Louisa M. Messinger. She attended the Oread
as a day pupil a short time in 1863. At Roxbury, Mass., in
1869, she was married to James C. Stuart, a merchant, and
has until recently lived in Lawrence. She has three sons and
one daughter. All except one son are married.
Address : Mrs. James C. Stuart, Melrose Highlands, Mass.
Mary Frances Boyce entered the Oread from Providence,
R. I., at the opening of the school year in September, 1862, and
remained two years, leaving in June, 1864.
She was born in Providence on January 24, 1846. Her father
was James Boyce, and the maiden name of her mother was
After leaving the Oread, Mary taught a year or more in a
private school, and was in kindergarten work for one year.
Except for these years of teaching her life until her marriage
was uneventful. She was married in September, 1875, m
Providence, R. I., to William Henry Hobson. Air. Hobson had
one child, Emma, by a former marriage, who was eight years
old at the time of her father's second marriage, and who has
been a most devoted and loyal daughter to her second mother.
Mrs. Hobson has had five children of her own : William
Henry, born June 18, 1876; Ethel Boyce, born August 22,
1878; Louise Boyce, born February 16, 1881 ; Albert Francis,
born May 8, 1883 : and Henry Ramsden, born June 27, 1885.
Of these only two are now living. The two eldest children,
William and Ethel, both died on January 1, 1881. and Albert
Francis died January 2 1 /, 1884. Louise is a graduate of the
Providence Normal School in the class of 1902, and Henry is
now a student at Brown University.
She writes, "My personal history has been as happy a one
as a true and loval husband and loving children could make
Pupils from 1859-1864 193
it. and though there have been necessarily many anxious and
even sad hours, the bright ones far outnumber them."
Mrs. Hobson has given her willing help to charitable work as
opportunity has come to her.
Address: Mrs. William H. Hobson. 72 Kenyon St., Provi-
dence, R. I.
Fannie A. Boyd was daughter of Joseph and Mary Gove
( Bemis) Boyd. To quote from the Boyd Genealogy, "The
ancient family of Boyds descended from a younger son of the
illustrious Lord High Steward of Scotland. Robert, second
Lord High Steward, was of a very fair complexion and conse-
quently was named Boyt or 'Boyd,' signifying fair. From this
Robert all the Boyds of Scotland descended." Fannie's grand-
father. Robert Boyd, owned the farm in Antrim, X. H., now
the home of ex-Governor Goodell of Xew Hampshire. This
was her father's boyhood home. The Bemis family is of
French descent. Her mother's immediate ancestors resided in
Lincoln and Waltham, Mass., for many years.
Fannie was born in Boston in 1839, and entered the Oread
in September, 1859. Her fine scholarship and pleasant manners
gave her at once a high place in the esteem of both teachers
and schoolmates. In i860, while at the Oread, a sudden physi-
cal disability came upon her and prevented her finishing the
regular course. It left her in a weakened condition. After-
wards her only sister grew ill and was a helpless invalid for
two years before her death, and for years her father and foster-
mother (an aunt 1 were semi-invalids and remained so up to
the time of their decease. Her duties as nurse for these invalids
caused her health to suffer and made her subsequent comfort
dependent upon a quiet home life. Thus she has been debarred
from active outside effort, but has never been useless, and is
still "a member in particular" of the great whole.
Address: 108 Prospect St.. Somerville, Mass.
Olive Clark was born at Waltham. Mass.. August 28, 1848.
the daughter of Eben and Margaret (Cheney) Clark, and was a
pupil at the Oread in 1863-64. She was married at Belmont,
April 2, 1870. to L. G. Brainard. an attorney at law. They
had two sons. Amos La Gu. born at Chicago. March 19. 1871,
194 Oread Collegiate Institute
who died in Belmont, Mass., June 17, 1899, and Chester Nathan,
born in Boston, July 20, 1873, who lives in Boston. The son-
were educated in Chicago and Boston schools.
Mrs. Brainard now lives at Valkaria, Fla.
Hattie Clifford, daughter of Warner and Lorinda (Hartwell)
Clifford, was born in Barre, Mass.,
March 18, 1848. Several of her
ancestors were officers in the War
of the Revolution, and her mother
was a direct descendant of John
Rowland. Hattie was at the Oread
from 1861 to 1865. After leaving
the Oread she attended school at
Englewood, X. J., for one year.
She was married November 10,
1869, in Worcester to Julius O.
Murdock, and has two children.
Lester B., born November 18, 1873,
in Leicester, Mass., graduated from
Harvard in 1896, and is a broker
in Providence, R. I. He was mar-
ried to Alice M. Aldrich on Novem-
ber 7, 1900, in Providence, and has
one son, Donald A. Murdock, born
in Leicester, August 28, 1902.
Mrs. Murdock's second son is
Harold Clifford, who was born in
Leicester, February 19, 1873, grad-
uated from Worcester Academy in
June, 1903, and is now in Harvard.
She is especially interested in
the Baldwinsville Cottage Hospital
Address: Mrs. Julius O. Murdock, Leicester, Mass.
Essie Davids, only daughter of Thaddeus and Mary
(Daniels) Davids, was born in New York City, November
30, [850. Her first ancestors in this country were members
of the English nobilitv who came to the American colonies
Pupils from 1 8 =,9-1864
to escape religious persecution. Many of her ancestors fought
in the Revolutionary War. She came to the ( )read in October.
[863, from New Rochelle, X. Y., and remained until June. 1864.
After leaving the Oread she made
her debut in society, and spent four
happy years at home with her ten
brothers, traveling for pleasure
part of the time. She has been
twice married. First to Apollos G.
Braman of Philadelphia, on August
5. 1868, in New Rochelle. X. Y.
She was left a widow in 1872 with
one son, Thaddeus Davids, born
August 28, i860. Later Mrs.
Braman traveled in the West for
several months, and in 1873 went
abroad with her father. She re-
mained in Europe until March. 1877. On September 25, 1877,
she was married in Trinity Church. Xew Rochelle, by the Rev.
Dr. Charles F. Canady. to W. Edward Piatt, a merchant. Her
son. Thaddeus Davids Braman, died March 5. 1898.
Mrs. Piatt is an active worker in church and Sunday School,
is a King's Daughter and a member of many charitable organ-
izations. She has done charity
work among the factory classes.
She is a member of two clubs, lit-
erary and musical, and has written
many articles, both for publication
and for club work, among which
are the following : "Construction of
the Winter's Tale, Compared with the
Earlier Comedies of Shakespeare,"
"Use of the Chorus in the Winter's
Tale, and Others of Shakespeare's
Plays," "Michael Angelo," "Rem-
brandt." "The Indian Mutiny,"
"Victoria, the Queen." "Lady Macbeth or the Thane's Daugh-
ter." "The Vatican and its Present Occupant," "The Supreme
Court of the United States." "The Sweet South Land."
Address: Mrs. W. E. Piatt. 410 Telfair St., Augusta. Ga.
Oread Collegiate Institute
Belle Davis came to the Oread from Great Falls (now
Somersworth), X. H., in 1862. She died in 1884.
Emma E. Davis was daughter of Alfred and Chloe (Parker)