Miss Cole's father and her grand-
father Prouty were hardware mer-
chants, and were both drowned in
Boston harbor with several other
prominent business men while on a
She was married in Boston, April
18, 1850, to Albert S. Allen of
Worcester, for a time Instructor in
Vocal Music at the Oread (see p.
22). Mrs. Allen gave vocal lessons
to Oread pupils under Dr. Shepard-
son, and in the early years of Mr.
Greene's administration. She was a
beautiful singer and frequently took solo parts at the Worcester
Festival. She also sang soprano for many years in Worcester
church choirs. She acted for a time as organist of All Saints
Church, and was prominent in the musical organizations of
She had three children: Charles A., born January 27, 1852,
married Grace T. Chase, an Oread pupil of 1871-72 (see p. 348)
and is a civil engineer ; Mary Salisbury, born November 2^,
1854, died October 25, 1867; Frank Lincoln, born August 8,
1862, married Fannie Millet and has three children. He is a
Mrs. Allen died at her home in Worcester, February 2, 1885.
Mile. Louise Amaron came to the Oread as Teacher of
French in 1807, and left in 1869. She was the daughter of
Daniel and Annette (Cruchet) Amaron, and was born August
1 1, 1848, at De Ramsay, P. O., Canada.
Her parents left Switzerland in 1840, and were employed by
the French-Canadian Missionary Society (Protestant) to pro-
claim the gflad tidings of the Gospel to the Roman Catholics of
Teachers from 1 864-1881
the Province of Quebec. They founded the now prosperous
Mission Schools of Pointe anx Trembles near Montreal.
After leaving the Oread, .A I lie. Amaron taught four years in
the Ipswich Female Seminar), of
which Airs. E. C. Cowles was Prin-
In 1875, at the request of many
parents the Amarons opened their
present boarding school. With Allle.
Amaron was associated in this work,
her sister, A [me. Perside A. Cle-
ments, who taught at the Oread in
1870-71. The object of the school
is to give a liberal education in all
branches, especially French, making
the terms such as to compete with
Mile. Amaron, in addition to her school work, and the many
charities in which she is interested, has devoted herself to the
care of her sainted father, the pioneer of French Protestant
Evangelical work in Canada, in his declining years. He died
June i, 1904.
She has written occasionally for newspapers and magazines
in Ontario and the United States.
Address : Berthier en haut, P. Q., Canada.
Joseph Banvard, D.D., taught at the Oread, in 1864-66,
Elocution, Xatural Sciences, and Aloral Philosophy. He was
brother of John B-anvard, the well-known artist and poet, and
was born in the city of New York, Alay 9, 1810. On his
father's side he was descended from the French Huguenots,
and on his mother's from the early settlers of Xew England.
His parents being members of the Aloravian Church, he was
brought up under its influence. He was converted through
the instrumentality of the late Rev. Dr. Charles G. Sommers,
and united with the church in Xew York of which the latter was
He received his preparatory education at the South Reading
Academy, and then pursued the full course of study at the
250 Oread Collegiate Institute
Newton Theological Seminary, where he was graduated in the
class of 1835. A few days after, he was ordained pastor of the
Second, now the Central, Baptist Church in Salem, Mass. He
conscientiously performed his pastoral duties, but found time
for study and to gratify his love of
History and Natural Science. He
was an honorary member of the
Boston Society of Natural History,
and of the Historical Society of Wis-
consin. He was at one time Vice
President of the Worcester County
Natural History Society, and Presi-
dent of the Historical Society of
Passaic County, N. J. He was pas-
tor for five years of the Main Street
Baptist Church of Worcester. He
was also pastor of Baptist churches
in Boston and West Cambridge, Mass., New York City, Paw-
tucket, R. I., Paterson, N. J., and Independence, Mo.
He received the honorary degree of Master of Arts from
Columbian College, Washington, D. C, and the degree of Doc-
tor of Divinity from Shurtleff College, Upper Alton, 111. He
died September 29, 1887, aged seventy-seven.
He was the author of "Priscilla," an historical tale (New
York, 1854) ; "Novelties of the New World" ; "The Romance
of American History" ; "Tragic Scenes in the History of Mary-
land" (New York, 1856) ; "The American Statesman," a
memoir of Daniel Webster (1853) ; "Wisdom, Wit, and Whims
of the Old Philosophers" (1854) ; "Plymouth and the Pilgrims."
He wrote also many books for children on Natural History,
and a large number of Sunday school question-books.
Mary E. Brigham was born in Grafton, Mass., and was the
daughter of Charles Brigham. In 1872 she went to the Oread
to take charge of the Art Department, and remained there
until 1877. Since that time she has been a teacher of Art His-
tory in Newport, R. I., and in Boston, passing her summers at
her home in Grafton.
Address: 69 St. Botolph St., Boston.
Tea cli crs (rum 1864-1881
Isabel Bronson was the daughter of Rev. Samuel J. and
Mary (Chaplin) Bronson, and sister of Nellie Bronson, who
attended the Oread in 1872. Miss Isabel Bronson studied
music in Worcester with Air. Zutchman and gave lessons in
instrumental music at the Oread in 1874-75.
She died in November, 1886, at Lewisburg, Pa., where she
was a teacher of music in Bucknell University.
Penelope Burns taught French and German at the Oread in
1876-81. Her birthplace w r as Glasgow, Scotland.
She is still a teacher of languages in Worcester, and has
many private pupils and classes.
Address : 33 Pleasant St., "Worcester.
Professor James Bushee was born at Smithfiekl, R. I., on
October 15, 1805. He was the son of a farmer in limited
circumstances, the eldest of a large family and obliged to share
its burdens. But he was possessed
of an intense desire for an educa-
tion. He made the most of his
opportunities at the district school,
and studied winter evenings by the
light of the cottage fire-place or
candle. Later he attended for sev-
eral terms the Academy at Woon-
socket, and for two years the
Friends School in Providence.
He first taught school at Somer-
set, and afterwards at Fall River.
From Fall River in 1831 he went
to Woonsocket, and for twenty-one
years was Principal of the Old Smithfiekl Academy, where
he had been a pupil. In 1852 he became a resident of Wor-
cester, and was connected for some time with the Worcester
Academy. He taught for twelve years a private school for
young ladies, and was also Professor of Chemistry in the Wor-
cester Eclectic Medical College. For ten years he was in charge
of the scientific department of the Highland Military School.
Oread Collegiate Institute
From 1874 to 1879 he gave experimental lectures in the Natural
Sciences to classes at the Oread. "As a class-room lecturer and
a facile and successful manipulator of philosophical apparatus
he had few equals and very few, if any, superiors."*
Professor Bushee was one of the founders of the Worcester
Natural History Society, was its Vice-President for eight years,
and President in 1872-73.
In the fall of 1879 he returned to his old homestead in Woon-
socket, where he taught private classes till his eightieth birth-
day. He died in Woonsocket, December 20, 1888.
Professor Bushee was twice married, first in 1832 to Lucy,
daughter of George Aldrich, Esq. She died in 1850, and he
was again married, in 1858, to Harriet J., daughter of Harris
J. Mowry, Esq. Three children are still living, a son and
daughter by his first wife, and by his second wife a daughter,
Lucy A. Bushee, who is an Oread, and whose address is 101
West 58th St., New York City.
William E. Chandler, teacher of Vocal Music in 1869-70,
was born at West Longmeadow, Mass., on September 5, 1839.
On both his father's and his mother's side he was descended
from Revolutionary ancestry.
He was educated at the public
schools of his native town, and at
Monson Academy. In June, 1858,
he left home to study singing, piano,
and organ under Professor B. D.
Allen in Worcester, and subse-
quently under Professor Pratt in
Boston. He lived in Worcester till
1870, during which time he studied,
taught, and served as organist in
various churches, besides being at
the head of the firm of \Y. E.
(handler e\: Co., dealers in pianos,
organs and sheet music. In iXUS he sold out this business and
continued his teaching and church work.
if James Bushee. Published by William A. Mowry,
Teachers from 1864-1881 253
In 1870 he became organist and choir-master of the Chapel
Street Congregational Church in New Haven, Conn., where he
remained for ten years. In 1880 he accepted a like position at
the College Street Congregational Church, which he held for
seven years. After this he gave up church work, and has since
confined himself mainly to private teaching. He has been for
several years Instructor in Vocal Music at the Hopkins Gram-
mar School in Xew Haven.
He has held many public offices, having been President of the
Board of Councilmen of Xew Haven, and also President of the
Board of Public Library Directors.
He has written and published a number of secular and
sacred songs, and many church anthems. Chandler's "Choir
Anthems" (two volumes) has had a large sale. With Rev.
J. E. Todd he published "Laudent Omnes," a small book
designed especially for congregational singing.
He was married November 24, 1868, to Mary Pierce Woods
of Enfield, Mass. They had three children :
Frances Woods, born in Enfield, Mass., November 15, 1870,
is a graduate of Smith College in the class of 1894. Since then
she has lived at home, studying vocal music with her father,
and frequently singing in public concerts and recitals.
William Woods, born in Xew Haven, March 23, 1874. grad-
uated from Yale with honors in Music in 1896. At a com-
petitive examination he secured the Steinert Scholarship in
organ playing, which entitled him to a year's study in the Music
Department of the University. He continued his studies at
Yale under Professor Parker until 1901, when he received the
degree of Bachelor of Music. In 1897 he was awarded the
prize offered by the Connecticut Music Teachers' Association
for the best original composition for solo. He has been
organist of the First Baptist Church of Xew Haven, and
organist and choir-master of the Prospect Methodist Episcopal
Church of Bristol, Conn. He is a composer of merit.
Robert Woods, born in Xew Haven, February 3. 1878. grad-
uated with honors from Yale in 1901. He is associated with
Robert Grier Cooke, publisher, 307 Fifth Avenue. Xew York.
Mrs. Chandler died in 1903. Mr. Chandler was recently mar-
ried again to Mrs. Anna Blanchard Souther Pond.
Address : 106 Central Park West, New York City.
Oread Collegiate Institute
Mrs. Lucy Ann Childs, nee Kyes, was Matron at the Oread
from 1869 to 1874. She was born in Jay, Me., and had been
married on November 29, 1849, to Dr. A. K. P. Childs, who
died July 9, 1856. Her daughter
Naomi was a pupil at the Oread
while Mrs. Childs held the position
of Matron there.
After leaving the Oread Mrs.
Childs took up her residence in
Worcester, to make a home for
her nephew, who was at that time
attending the Institute of Tech-
In 1878 Naomi was married to
Calvin H. Hill, and Mrs. Childs
went to live near her daughter in
Gardner, Mass., where Mr. Hill
was in business. Mrs. Hill's health was frail and after a year
or two Mrs. Childs went to make her home in her daughter's
family, to help care for her and for the grandchildren. Her
son-in-law says of her, "She was a wise, capable, and good
woman, having the qualities that would make her a leader in
whatever society she was placed. As a housekeeper and gen-
eral in domestic economy I have never known her superior.
As a mother and grandmother she had few equals. The world
would be better off if there were more like her."
When Mr. Hill's family moved to Chicago in 1891, Mrs.
Childs went with them and remained there until her death,
which occurred on November 10, 1893. She was buried in
Gardner, Mass., in the same lot in which was buried the body
of her daughter Naomi, who died the December previous.
Elizabeth Clark had charge of the French Department at
the ( )read in 1871-72. She was the daughter of Abijah S.
Clark, a descendant of the Fnglish Hugh Clark family, and
Clara (Swan) Clark, the daughter of Samuel Swan, Esq., of
Hubbardston. She was born in Hubbardston, February 1, 1846.
After leaving the ( )read she taught French and English at
the Academy in < >ld Deerfield, Mass., going later to Northamp-
ton with a sister to conduct a private school and kindergarten.
Teachers from 1864-188 1 255
There, in 1893, she supervised the building of a house of her
own, but after her brother's death, she was called to Holyoke
to care for his children, and she has remained there ever since.
She was actively interested in the Home Culture Club of
Northampton (George W. Cable's idea), and has also had
charge of the Boys' Department in the Y. M. C. A.
Address : 245 Beech St., Holyoke, Mass.
Mme. Perside Amaron Clements taught French at the
Oread in 1870-71. She was a sister of Mile. Louise Amaron,
who had given instruction in French at the Oread from 1867
to 1869, and was a daughter of Daniel Amaron, the first French
Protestant Missionary in Canada.
With her sister she now has charge of a young ladies' board-
ing school in Berthier en haut, P. Q., Canada.
C. Henshaw Dana was born in West Newton, Mass., Feb-
ruary 7, 1846, the son of Charles F. and Eliza H. (Bates)
Smith. When he was fourteen years of age his mother mar-
ried John A. Dana of Worcester, and subsequently he took
legally the name of his step-father.
He studied music under Albert S. and Benjamin D. Allen.
In 1869 he went abroad and continued his studies, first in
Leipsic, then in Stuttgart. He returned to Worcester in 1875,
and there lived, teaching and composing music until his death,
February 5, 1883. He was connected with the Oread as
teacher of Piano and Organ from 1879 to 1881.
Ezekiel Webster Dimond was born in Warner, N. H.,
August 7, 1836, the youngest of five children. By the death of
his father and mother the family was broken up, and he was
obliged to earn his own living at the age of eleven. For ten
years he worked upon a farm in Concord, N. H. In 1858
he entered Kimball Union Academy, where he finished his
preparation for college in 1861. He was graduated with honor
at Middlebury College in 1865, and pursued graduate studies
in Science under Professor Agassiz at Harvard for one year.
In the fall of 1866 he came to the Oread as Lecturer on Chem-
istry. He also gave lectures on the same subject for a short
Oread Collegiate Institute
time at Abbot Female Seminary in Andover. While con-
nected with the Oread he published a volume on the chemistry
In July, 1867, he went to Enrope for a year of study and
travel. He visited many schools of
agriculture, and carefully examined
the courses of study and methods of
management. The winter he spent
in Dresden in scientific study. In
April, 1868, while still in Germany,
he was elected Professor of General
and Agricultural Chemistry at the
New Hampshire College of Agricul-
ture, then just established at Hanover
as a Department of Dartmouth Col-
In addition to his work as Lecturer
and Instructor at Hanover, Professor Dimond raised the money
for Culver Hall, the home of the Department of Agriculture,
and designed the plans for the building. He also secured a farm
to be used as an experiment station, and to afford remunerative
occupation to students of limited means. On this was erected
a dining hall for the students of agriculture, and also suitable
buildings for farm purposes. The facilities for teaching chem-
istry afforded by Culver Hall were such that Professor Dimond
for a time gave instruction in that branch to all the other
departments of the College except the Medical.
Professor Dimond was an active member of the state com-
mittee appointed on the subject of a hydrographic survey, and
the report of that committee, made to the legislature in 1870,
was written almost wholly by him.
He died at Hanover July 6, 1876, from disease of the brain,
brought on by overwork.
He was married to Sarah Cutler Mason, daughter of Henry
II. Mason of Springfield, Vt. Mrs. Dimond and three daugh-
ters survived him.
* The Chemistry of Combustion, applied to the Economy of Fuel,
with special reference to the construction of fire chambers for steam
boilers, By E. \V. Dimond, Worcester; printed by Edward R. Fiske,
Teachers from 1S0 / /,v,V /
This sketch is condensed from 'Sir. Joseph B. Walker's life
of Professor Dimond in "Memorial Sketches," published in
the Sixth Annual Report of the New Hampshire Hoard of
Agriculture, Concord, 1876, pp. 381-400.
Mrs. Katie Dispeau, the widow
of John Dispeau. an innkeeper,
was Matron at the Oread under
Dr. Shepardson. Some little time
after leaving- the Oread she was
married to Henry Taft, a whole-
sale vegetable dealer, and had a
very pleasant home in North Am-
herst, Mass., where she died in
Mrs. A. L. Doane was teacher of Vocal Music at the Oread
from 1869 to 1877. She was the daughter of Francis and
Nancy (Tarble) Dwinneli, and was born in 1829, in Charles-
town. N. II. In 1850 she was married at Worcester to Amos
L. Doane. who was descended from Deacon John Doane. who
came over in the ship Fortune, next to the Mayflower, and set-
tled in Eastham. Mass.
Oread Collegiate Institute
The following is clipped from a recent number of the Wor-
"For more than a score of years Mrs. Doane was a teacher
of vocal music in Worcester, during a part of the time giving
instruction at the Oread Institute during its palmiest days.
She sang in the choirs of the First Universalist, First Uni-
tarian. Central, First Baptist, Union and Trinity Churches, of
the latter of which she is a member."
Address: 146 Beacon St., Worcester.
Nellie Durell was Instructor in
( h'namental Branches at the Oread
in [869-75. After she gave up
teaching she boarded for a while at
the Oread, and not long after was
married to Mr. Dwight Sumner of
Millbury. She lived in Worcester
for a year and then moved to Mill-
bury, where she died of consumption
about two years after her marriage.
Mrs. Caroline A. Flagg was Matron at the ( )read in the year
1X74-75. She was the mother of Emma J. Flagg, a pupil at
the ( )read the same year. Mrs. Flagg was married after leav-
ing the ( )read to David Bemis of Spencer, Mass., and resides
Carrie M. Frost taught Mathematics at the ( 'read in the
year [866 67. She was born in 1840, and spent her early
years in Southington, Conn. When twenty years of age she
entered the Connecticut Literary Institute at Suffield, Conn.,
and while there came under the inspiring influence of Miss
Sophia l'». Packard, at that time its Preceptress, and after-
wards Preceptress ;it the Oread. After leaving this institu-
tion she taught at Dr. Fitch's hoarding school in South Wind-
ham. Conn., until [866, when Miss Packard offered her a posi-
tion at tin- Oread. Appreciation of the help received from
Teachers from 1864-1881
Miss Packard in earlier years led Miss Frost to a decision to
join her in her work there.
She remained at the school one year, and was married in
May, [868, to Mr. Nelson X. King
of Suffield, Conn., which town they
have since made their home.
They have had three children :
Howard Frost, horn June 1, 1X72,
graduated at Brown University and
the Albany Medical School, was
married December 10. 10,01, to
Susie II. Loomis, and is now a
practicing physician in Windsor,
Conn.; Abbie Philendia, horn on
March 13. 1879, died on May \2,
[883; Joseph Warren, born Octo-
ber 7. [881, died May 12, 1882.
An adopted daughter died in i8<)8 at the age of eighteen.
Address: Mrs. X. X. King, Suffield, Conn.
Carrie D. Fuller taught voice culture and elocution at the
< >read in 1873-74. After leaving she taught in the public
-chools of Fort- Wayne. Ind., then
returned Fast and for two years
gave private instruction and public
readings in Boston. In 1880 she
was married to J. E. Fairbanks of
Dubuque, Iowa, a cousin of \ ice-
President Fairbanks, and a manu-
facturer, now retired. She has
been a member of the Dubuque
Woman's Club since 1881, and has
twice served as its president: is
vice-president of the Y. W. C. A. :
and has served two years as Regis-
trar in the Society of the I). A. R.
She has been leader of an art class for twenty-four years, and
is active in the charitable and religious societies of Dubuque.
Address: Mrs. J. E. Fairbanks, 2^, Arlington St., Dubuque,
Oread Collegiate Institute
Mary C. C. Goddard was born in Leominster, Mass., March
31, 1843, an( l Avas graduated from Oakland Institute at Need-
ham, Mass., in 1863, where she taught the following year.
She came to the Oread in 1865 as teacher of Mathematics and
Latin, and remained there until 1873, with an interval of one
year, when she taught elsewhere. In the year 1870-71 she
held the position of Preceptress.
From the Oread she went to the Cambridge High School,
where she taught more than ten years. Since 1884 sne l las
been teaching in the Girls' Latin
School in Copley Square, Boston.
Her father was Rev. David God-
dard, Jr., of Leominster, Mass., and
her mother, Charlotte B., daughter
of James Davenport of Boylston,
Mass. Both parents were of old
English stock, and descendants of
the early settlers of New England,
Hon. Edward Goddard of Framing-
ham and Capt. Richard Davenport
of Boston being ancestors.
She writes : "To honor such par-
entage, to prove worthy of the
beautiful friendships with which God has enriched my life,
most of all to 'walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing,'
is a high and sacred duty, an ideal, unattained, unattainable,
1>nt always present fur inspiration, for patient effort, for undy-
ing hope. If we are faithful in our place to-day, it may help
someone else to be faithful somewhere else to-morrow. Is it
not beautiful that we can thus react upon each other for
To those of us who knew Miss Goddard, as teacher and
friend, it is unnecessary to say that these words of hers portray
her true character, noble in principle and ideals, faithful and
conscientious as a teacher, and loving, sympathetic, and helpful
as a friend. Her influence has been strong and ennobling in
the lives of the many hundreds of girls whom she has helped
Mei- present address is: Miss Mary C. C. Goddard, 196 Erie
St., Cambridge, Mass.
Teachers from 1864-1881
Mary A. Hodgkins was Precep-
tress at the Oread, and taught Meta-
physics, Science and Rhetoric, in
She was a sufferer for many years
from consumption and made a brave
struggle for life, but died about 1882
in California, where she had gone in
search of health.
Nancy Elizabeth Howe, known at the Oread as Miss Lizzie
Howe, who taught Latin and English under Mr. Greene and
Miss Packard from 1866 to 1868,
was born in Orange, Mass., Novem-
ber 7, 1837. Her parents were
Lewis R. and Nancy B. Howe.
She was educated at Shelburne Falls
Academy, and taught for a number
of years in district schools in Buck-
land and Leyden. Later she went
to Worcester Female College, and
would have graduated had not the
school been broken up a short time
before she was to take her degree.
She taught at the Worcester Acad-
emy, at the Oread, and then at Peddie Institute, Hightstown,
N. J., from which place she returned home broken in health
March 1, 1872, and died three months later, June 15, 1872.
Walter Kennedy, Instructor in Music at the Oread from
1876 to 1 88 1, has been for years a well-known teacher of
vocal music in Worcester. He has also had pupils in Boston.
Recently he has retired from active work, and his former studio
in the Burnside Building is occupied by his successor, Charles
Address : Worcester. Mass.
262 Oread Collegiate Institute
Helen Mary Knowlton was horn at Littleton, Mass., August
16, 1832, the daughter of John S. C. and Annie W. ( Hartwell )
Knowlton. She received her art education of William M. Hunt