Spinney also gave instruction for a time at Central University.
She has been interested in charitable work of all kinds in
church, club and city, has been President of the Woman's
Foreign Missionary Society of the State of Iowa, a member of
Oread Collegiate Institute
the Board for the ( )ld Ladies' Home, and belongs to the
Woman's Club of Des Moines, and to the Chauncey Depew
Club. She has been President of the P. E. O. Fraternity.
Manv papers which she has written for club work have been
published, and she is at present editor of an insurance journal,
The Bankers' Union Herald.
Address: Mrs. E. C. Spinney, 1427 Tenth St., Des Moines,
Josephine Elizabeth Sprague, who attended the Oread in
1868-69, was the daughter of Augustus J^own Reed and Eliza-
beth Janes (Rice) Sprague. Her father served in the Civil
War as Captain, Lieutenant-Colonel, and Colonel in the Fifty-
first Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteers, and at the close of
the war was breveted Brigadier-General. He has been United
States Collector of Internal Revenue, Sheriff of Worcester
County, and Mayor of the city of Worcester. He is now
President of the Worcester Mechanics Savings Bank, and
President of the Worcester Electric Light Company. Gen-
eral Sprague is a descendant in the eighth generation of John
Alden and Priscilla Mullins, and Constance Hopkins, May-
flower Pilgrims; also of William Sprague of England, who
came over with John Endicott in 1628.
Miss Spragne was born in Worcester, December 19, 185 1.
She was married in Worcester, ( )ctober 16, 1872, to Edward
H. Knowlton. Their only child, Howard Sprague, born March
4. 1878, was graduated as Electrical Engineer at the Worcester
Pupils from 1864-1881
Polytechnic Institute in 1898, and was married October 17,
1901, to Alice Frances Conant.
Mrs. Knowlton died in Worcester, December 7, 1879.
Annie Elizabeth Sprout was a
pupil at the Oread in 1874. She
was married in 1884 to Walter A.
Sweet of Worcester, and had one
son, Robert Bradford Sweet, who
died in May, 1885. Mrs. Sweet
died in December. 1886.
Hattie L. Stearns, daughter of Timothy L. Stearns of Fram-
ing-ham, Mass.. and his wife. Eliza Howe of Worcester, was
born in Barre, Mass.. April 8. 1856. She was at the Oread
parts of the years 1872-74. ill health making- continuous study
impossible. Since leaving school she has lived quietly at home.
Address: i=; Charlotte St., Worcester. Mass.
Helen B. Steele was born in Brooklvn. X. Y.. and was the
daughter of Michael McClary and Catherine (Burden) Steele.
She is a direct descendant of General McClary, who fell at the
battle of Bunker Hill. She was at the Oread in 1878-79. In
432 Oread Collegiate Institute
1885, at Epsom. N. H., she was married to Dr. B. Parker
Barstow, a physician, and her home is now in Kingston. They
have two children: Katharine S., horn May 31. 1886, and Ben-
jamin, born May 4. 1887, both at Kingston.
Address : Mrs. B. Parker Barstow, Kingston, Mass.
Isabelle C. Stratton. daughter of Charles T. and Jane M.
(Griffin) Stratton, was born in Worcester, Angnst 21, 1855.
Her mother was daughter of Charles Griffin, editor of the
Argus, which was the first, or one of the first, papers in Wor-
cester. Isabelle was at the Oread (hiring the years 1870-72.
She was married in Worcester, October 19, 1874, to John P. K.
( His, President and Manager of the Union Water Meter Com-
pany. They had five children, all born in Worcester: Albert
S., born November 23, 1875 ; Emma H., born January 30, 1880 ;
Edward K., born October 6, 1884; Donald K., born May 24,
1893; and Mary E., born October 14, 1895. They were all
educated in the public schools. Emma graduated from Smith
College in the class of 1902. Mr. Otis died December 31, 1904.
Mrs. Otis is a member of the Worcester Woman's Club and
the Hall Child Study Club.
Address : Mrs. Isabelle C. Otis, 26 Downing St., Worcester.
Ellie Josephine Sumner was born in Worcester, March 9,
1854, the daughter of William and Marion Josephine (Howard)
Sumner. Her mother was an ( )read teacher for many years.
Since leaving school Ellie has devoted much time to studying
and teaching music, and has been soprano soloist in churches
in Springfield and Brookline, Mass., in Norwich, Conn., and
in Ihiffalo, N. Y. In Worcester, November 10, 1881, she was
married to Erederick J. Shepard, Yale 1873. Mr. Shepard was
for twenty-four years engaged in editorial work on the staff of
the Worcester Press, the Indianapolis Sentinel, the Hartford
Couraiit, the New York World, and the Buffalo Courier. He
is now Reference Librarian of the Buffalo Public Library.
Address: Mrs. Frederick J. Shepard. 17 Pearl Place. Buf-
falo, \. Y.
Mary Symons attended the < >read in [869-70, entering from
Rochdale, Mass. On September 25, 1871, she was married to
Thomas S. Livermore, and died August 9, 1896.
Pupils from 1864-1881
Jennie Goulding Taft attended the < )read one year, entering
in the fall of 1874. She is the eldest of six children, and was
born in Blackstone, Mass., October 12, 1856. Her father is
Daniel Waldo Taft. son of Orsinus
Taft, and grandson of Jacob Taft,
Jr., who received honorable mention
several times in the War of the
Revolution. The first Taft, Robert,
came to this country from England
in 1680, and settled in Mendon, Mass.
He had five sons and one daughter.
who are the ancestors of the numer-
ous Tafts in Mendon, Uxbridge and
other parts of the United States.
Mr. Daniel Taft was born in Ux-
bridge, where he has lived most of
his life, and continuously since 1863. He is a retired woolen
manufacturer. He has held many important offices in the
town, and served one year as a Representative from southern
Jennie's mother was Henrietta Maria Goulding, born in Wor-
cester, and daughter of Eli and Martha (Alexander) Goulding.
Jennie Taft was married at her father's home in Uxbridge,
November 3. 1880, to Henry Wheelock, a native of Uxbridge,
but at that time residing in Putnam,
Conn., where he was superintendent
of a woolen mill. He was the son of
Silas M. and Irene ( Taft ) Wheelock.
natives of Uxbridge, and graduated
from the Worcester Polytechnic
Institute in the class of 1877. After
one short year of married life, he
was taken ill with quick consumption
and returned to his father's house
in Uxbridge, where he died No-
vember 13. 1881. Henry Wheelock
was a young man of sterling quali-
ties, smart, bright, active, and always cheerful,
of friends to mourn his untimely death.
After her husband's death. Mrs. Wheelock returned to her
father's home, where she has since resided.
He had a host
434 Oread Collegiate Institute
After leaving the Oread she spent one year at a school on
Lincoln street, Worcester, opened by Madame Fitch, former
teacher at the Oread. Here she studied French, German and
painting. After leaving this school she continued her lessons
in painting with artists in Providence, Boston and New York,
and for the last ten years has made china decoration her busi-
ness, devoting most of her time to it. She is a member of the
Providence Keramic Club of Providence, R. I.
Mrs. Wheelock is a very enthusiastic traveler and has visited
many interesting countries. She has made two trips to Cali-
fornia, one in 1890 and one in 1902. During the first trip she
very unexpectedly met her old schoolmate, Florence Whiting,
and they spent many enjoyable weeks together. During the
winter of 1892 and also in 1893, she went through the South and
to Cuba, which was then a Spanish country. In 1896 she went
by the way of the Canadian Pacific to Alaska, and returned
through the Yellowstone National Park. In 1898 she spent
four months in Europe, going by the way of Gibraltar and the
Mediterranean, through Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Holland,
France, England and Scotland.
She is an active worker in the Unitarian Church, and has
held the office of Secretary and Treasurer of the Ladies' Asso-
ciation for nine years.
She has never written for publication, but has several times
read papers on the countries she has visited.
Address : Mrs. Jennie G. Wheelock, Uxbridge, Mass.
Josie M. Taft, daughter of Samuel N. and Betsey E.
(Northam) Taft, was born in Northbridge, Mass., March 10,
1852. She entered the Oread in September, 1868, remaining
three years. November 14, 1878, she was married to George
W. Hunt, an iron and steel merchant, whose office is at 413
Atlantic Ave., Boston, Mass. Mrs. Hunt has one daughter :
Louise C, born August 29, 1879, at Roxbury, Mass. She is
a graduate of Boston University. Mrs. Hunt has been inter-
ested in church and Sunday School work, having been the
teacher of one Sunday School class for ten years.
Address: Mrs. George W. Hunt, 14 Woodbine St., Roxbury.
Pupils from 1864-1881
Ella M. Tapley, who was a day pupil at the Oread in 1877-
78, her home being- in Worcester, is now living at 110 Austin
St., in that city.
Anna C. Thayer attended the
Oread in the year 1869-70. She
was one of the five daughters of Eli
Thayer, founder of the Oread. Her
mother's maiden name was Caroline
Miss Thayer has always lived in
Worcester, her present address being
10 Hawthorne St.
Clara Louisa Thayer, who entered the Oread in 1!
was born in West Medway, Mass., January 30, 1862. Her
father was Addison P. Thayer, and
her mother Lydia San ford Partridge.
Her great-great-grandfather was a
chaplain in the Revolutionary Army.
After leaving the Oread she was a
pupil at the Yale Art School for five
years, and was married at Hatfield,
Mass., on September 28, 1892, to
Allan Maxcy Hiller, an attorney at
law in New Haven, Conn., who re-
ceived the degrees of M.A. and LL.B.
from Yale University. Mr. Hiller is
a Director of the Free Public Library
and has held a number of official posi-
tions in the Xew Haven municipal government. They have
three daughters: Helen Thayer, born September 26, 1893;
Constance Lane, born June 19, 1895 ; and Celia Farnam, born
August 13, 1900.
Address: Mrs. A. Maxcy Hiller, 433 Temple St., New
Oread Collegiate Institute
Cora P. Thayer, daughter of Hon. Eli Thayer, founder of
the Oread, and his wife, Caroline M. Capron, was horn at
Oread Castle, Worcester. She studied in the Collegiate depart-
ment of the school from 1871 to 1874.
Address: 10 Hawthorne St., Worcester, Mass.
Eva Alden Thayer, daughter of Eli Thayer, the founder of
our school, was born at Oread Castle December 2, 1850. Her
father was a direct descendant of John Alden, of Mayflower
fame, for whom she is named. Her mother, who was Caroline
M. Capron, is descended from a brother of Israel Putnam.
She attended the Oread from the autumn of 1865 till the spring
of [868. The ( head was her home till it was sold in 1898, since
which time she has lived at 10 Hawthorne St., Worcester.
Pupils from 1864-1881
Nellie Olive Thayer, daughter of Edward 1). and Ellen M.
(Darling") Thayer, was bom in Boston April 10. [861. On
both sides she traces her ancestry to early settlers of Mendon.
Sbe entered the ( )read in the fall of 1871 and left in the
spring- of 1872. Sbe was married in Worcester, January 21.
1886, to Samuel H. Clary, treasurer of the Worcester Safe
Deposit and Trust Company. They have two children : Ernest
Thayer, born March 1. 1887; and Eleanor, born August 2.
Address: Mrs. Samuel H. Clary. 36 Sevef St.. Worcester.
Alice S. Todd was born at Lowell. Mass., July 23. 1853. and
was the daughter of Jehiel and Susan E. ( Whitman ) Todd. She
entered the Oread in 1869 and remained until 1870. ( )n March
30, 1876 sbe was married in Worcester to Mr. Charles Warren
Gilbert, who for thirty years was the proprietor of the Gilbert
Loom Works. Later be sold bis business to the Crompton and
Knowles Loom Works Company and entered the employ of
that firm. A son and a daugbter have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Gilbert. Louis Douglas, born September 5, 1878, in
Worcester, was graduated from the English High School of
Worcester and also from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
He is now phosphate chemist with the Davis Baking Powder
Company, Hoboken. X. J. Their second child. Ruth Alice, was
Oread Collegiate Institute
born April 27, 1886, in Worcester, Mass., and graduated from
the Classical High School in Worcester in 1903. She is study-
Mrs. Gilbert is a Daughter of the American Revolution, and
belongs to the Woman's Club and the Friday Morning Club.
Address : Mrs. Charles Warren Gilbert. 14 Trowbridge Road,
Minnie J. Todd was born in Somerville, Mass., December
t<), 18^0. She was the daughter of Jehiel and Susan E. (Whit-
man) Todd, and on May 17, 1877, was married to Joseph A.
Long at Worcester. She died April 19, 1901.
Mary Lusannah Tolman entered the Oread in September,
1866, and left in June, 1867. She was the daughter of Albert
and Lusannah Russell (Whitin) Tolman. Her father was a
native of Lincoln and his maternal and paternal grandfathers
were in the field at the battles of Concord and Lexington. Her
mother was born on Bunker Hill. Mary was born in 1847 a ^
Worcester. She was married October 18, 1882. in Worcester.
to Benjamin X. Bradt of Boston, an orange grower. Mr.
Bradt was a Civil War veteran. He died January 4, 1905.
She was engaged in various charitable interests while in
Worcester, and was for many years a member of the Sunshine
Mrs. Bradt is the Florida State Organizer of the Inter-
national Sunshine Society, and a promoter of the interests of the
Pupils from 1864-1881
Florida Audubon Society. She also edits a column devoted to
International Sunshine Society interests in the Florida Agri-
culturist, and writes fugitive verses, signed "Lusannah."
Address: Mrs. Mary L. Bradt, 324 East Church St., Jack-
Libbie B. Tuller, daughter of William Henry and Frances
(Hayden) Tuller, was born at Winsted, Conn., October 2,
1856. On her father's side her earliest ancestor in this coun-
try was John Tuller of Hartford and
Simsbury, Conn. He was a soldier
in King Philip's War. Her great-
grandfather, Elisha Tuller, served in
the War of the Revolution.
When Libbie was only one vear old
her parents left Y\ uisted to make
their home in Atlanta, Ga. After
the Civil War broke out Mr. Tuller,
who was a Union sympathizer, was
compelled to leave Atlanta. He es-
caped through the Confederate lines
and reached Hartford in safety.
Mrs. Tuller and Libbie were forced to remain in Atlanta, and
suffered severe hardships when the city was besieged by Sher-
man. The family was compelled to
live in a room excavated below the
cellar bottom lined with matting,
furnished with cots, and the en-
trance protected with bales of cot-
ton â€” all this to escape the flying
shells which were continually burst-
ing in the city. In the bombard-
ment the house (see illustration)
was struck, but no one was injured.
When Sherman on his victorious
march to the sea was passing
through the city, Mrs. Tuller met
a Union soldier whom she had
known in the Xorth and he. being a Free Mason, was able to
set her through the lines so that she and her daughter were
Oread Collegiate Institute
able to make their escape and join Mr. Tuller in Hartford.
After the war was over the family returned to Atlanta, from
which city Libbie was sent North to school in her eleventh
year. Later she came to the Oread, where she remained one
year â€” from [873 to 1874. It was at one of the ( >read soirees
that Libbie met Deacon Kendall and his family, <>ne of the mem-
bers of which she afterwards married. After leaving the Oread
she returned to her home in Atlanta, where she lived until
her marriage November 1. 1892. to George E. Kendall of
Hartford, Conn. Mr. Kendall is Manager of the National
Insurance Company of Ireland.
They have had two children. Her first son, Frank, died in
infancy. Her second son, Edward, was born March 8, 1895.
Address : Mrs. George E. Kendall, 64 Cone St., Hartford,
Mary A. Tyler, who was a pupil at the Oread in the spring
of 1867, was the daughter of Captain John and Adaline (Coy)
Tyler, both of early Massachusetts stock, and was born
November 3, 1843, at Warren, Mass.
Mary has been a teacher, and has traveled and studied in
Europe. She has been a government clerk in Washington.
D. C, and assisted in compiling the Standard Dictionary, her
task being to furnish quotations illustrating the meaning of
words. She has taken diplomas in French and ( ierman at the
Columbian I niversity in Washington.
Address: Ti2n Twelfth St., N. W.. Washington, D. C.
Pupils from 1864-188 1 441
Ellen Walker, daughter of Hon. J. H. Walker and his wife,
Sarah Ellen Harrington, was horn in Worcester, October 26,
1857. Her parents were of English ancestry.
She entered the Oread in 1871 and left in 1872. She was
married June 6, 1878. in Worcester, to Milton Shirk, a banker,
and has two children: Elbert Walker, born November [9,
1879, in Pern, Ind. ; and Joseph Henry, born January 6, 1881,
in Pern. Both were educated in the Peru schools, Worcester
Academy and Harvard College.
Mrs. Shirk has been engaged in city and church benevolences
and Baptist State work.
Address: Mrs. Milton Shirk, Peru. Ind.
Elmira Warren, who attended the Oread from September
to December, 1867. was the daughter of Elbridge G. and Lydia
E. (Stone) Warren, and was born March 13, 1850, at Auburn,
Elmira was married at Auburn, June 15, 1871, to Edwin
F. Ryder, a mechanic, who died May it;, 1882. One child,
Gertrude Elvira Ryder, a graduate of the Worcester Normal
School in the class of 1895, is now a teacher in the public
schools of Worcester.
Mrs. Ryder has compiled a Cook Book for Nurses. For the
past twelve years she has occupied the position of Matron in
the City Hospital at Worcester.
Address: Mrs. Elmira W. Ryder. City Hospital. Worcester.
Lydia A. Warren, who entered the ( )read in 1867 and
attended one year, was the daughter of Elbridge G. and Lydia
E. (Stone) Warren, and was born at West Auburn, Mass..
March 9. 1848. She was graduated from the Worcester City
Hospital Training School for Nurses in 1890, and worked at
her profession as long as her health would permit.
Address: West Auburn, Mass.
Mary G. Warren, daughter of Dexter and Charlotte A.
(Green) Warren, was born at Westmoreland, X. H.. September
She attended the Oread in 1866-67. and after leaving in
1867 lived at home until her death. July 21, 1891.
Orcad Collegiate Institute
Frances A. Waters, who entered the Oread in 1867 and left
in 1870, was the daughter of J. L. and Anne (Smith) Waters.
Her father was a descendant of the French family of De
Wolfe, and her mother a daughter
of Benoni Smith, a Revolutionary
soldier. She was born May 12,
1 85 1, at Worcester. She attended
Wheaton Seminary, Norton, Mass.,
from the autumn of 1870 to the
spring of 1871, became a member
of the Main Street Baptist Church
in Worcester in July, T871, and re-
moved to Washington, D. C, in
May, 1872. She was married in
Washington, December 17, 1877,
to Henry Calver, LL.M., a patent
lawyer. Mrs. Calver has one child,
Arthur W., born in Washington, February 27, 1879. He was
graduated from the Friends School, Washington, D. C, in
1897, and from Columbian University in 1901, with the degree
of B.S. He is now an examiner in the United States Patent
Mrs. Calver is a member of the Nordhoff Guild, connected
with the Homeopathic Hospital, and was a teacher in an indus-
trial school for several years.
Address: Mrs. Henry Calver, 1721 P St., X. W., Wash-
ington, D. C.
Julia M. Wells, the daughter of Joseph and Julia A.
(Wicker) Wells, was born in Bellows Falls, Vt., January 27,
1850. One of her mother's ancestors came to this country in
the Mayflower. Julia entered the Oread in 1866 and left in
1868. May 1, 1879, she was married to Oliver A. Benoit at
Walpole, N. H. Mr. Benoit is a last manufacturer.
Address: Mrs. Oliver A. Benoit, 10 Auburn St., Worcester,
Julia A. Weston, daughter of Orrin 11. and Antoinette J.
(Baker) Weston, was bom in Onwell, X. V. Her father's
ancestors came to this country from England soon after the
Pupils from 1864-1881
landing of the Pilgrims. Her mother's grandfather fought
with the patriots and was killed in the Revolutionary War.
She entered the Oread in September, 1865, and left in
February, 1867. November I, 1876, she was married to Andrew-
Hair, a contracting plumber and steam-fitter. They have four
children : Antoinette E., born in Worcester, October 25, 1877,
took a course in stenography and typewriting at a business
college; Arthur W., born in Worcester August 1, 1881, spent
four years at college, after which he accepted a position as civil
engineer, and is now with the Rapid Transit Construction Com-
pany of New York City ; Florence M., born in Worcester Feb-
ruary 6, 1883, graduated from the English High School in
Worcester; Bessie B., born in Worcester September 14, 1885,
entered the Worcester High School, but on account of ill health
was unable to finish.
Address: Mrs. Andrew Hair, 13 Harrington Ave., Worcester,
Marietta Wheeler, daughter of Albert and Mary Esther
(Dame) Wheeler, was born at Lowell, Mass., and was a pupil
at the Oread in 1870. Her great-grandfather, Phinehas
Wheeler, was at the battles of Lexington and Concord in 1775,
and was also present at the surrender of Burgoyne in 1777.
Her grandfather, Artemas Wheeler, was the inventor of a
seven-shooter, which was fired with a Mint lock.
Address: 722 Merrimac St., Lowell, Mass.
Alice A. Wheelock, daughter of Silas M. and
Wheelock, was born in Uxbridge,
Mass., January 22, 1849. She at-
tended the Oread in 1866 and 1867.
She was married in 1874 to Rev.
Henry R. Smith, pastor of the Uni-
tarian Church, Barre, Mass., and
had two children: Rolfe Wheelock,
born in Leominster, January 9,
1879. and Leon Hills, born in Leo-
minster, October 13. 1881. Rolfe
was graduated from Dartmouth Col-
lege in 1 901. Leon is a graduate
of the Massachusetts Institute of
Oread Collegiate Institute
Wherever Mrs. Smith lived she was very active in church
work, and a leader in carrying on philanthropic projects. She
died in (Jxbridge, Mass., September 6, 1891.
Florence M. Whidden was born in Calais, Maine, and was
one of eleven children, ten of whom are still living. Miss
\\ hidden went to Worcester in 1873 to visit her sister, and at
that time attended the Oread.
While in Worcester she met C 'harles G. Stowell, to whom
she was married the following year. Three children were born
to them, of whom two are still living.
After- Mr. Stowell's death Mrs. Stowell supported herself
and sons. For five years she was superintendent of the Young
Women's Christian Association of Worcester. Seven years ago
she went to New York and entered the employ of one of the
largest business firms in the city.
Mrs. Stowell has always been active in church work, and at
the present time is a director of the Xew York State Young-
Women's Christian Association, also President of the Looking
Forward Club, an organization composed of hundreds of busi-
Address: \\ anamaker's, Xew York City.
Florence R. Whiting attended the < Iread from September,
1874, until June, 1875. She was born in North Attleboro,
Mass., April 23, 1857. Her father's name was William Deane
Pupils from 1864-1881
Whiting and her mother's Rebecca Damon Butterfield. Flor-
ence was married to Dr. J. 15. Gerould of North Attleboro on
April 23, 1896.
She has always been interested in church work, and is Presi-
dent of the Ladies' Social in the Grace Episcopal Church. She
is also a member of the Woman's Club of North Attleboro.
During' the winter of 1890 she visited the Pacific coast with
her brother, traveling through California and other places of
She has no children of her own. but cares for a daughter of
her husband by a former marriage.
Address: Mrs. J. B. Gerould. 34 High St., North Attleboro,
Annie Elizabeth Willard, daughter of William and Charlotte
(Dean) Willard, was born in Charlestown, Mass., August 11.
1850. Her father was an eminent painter of portraits, among
his paintings being likenesses of Senator Hoar, Daniel Webster,
Rufus Choate and other prominent men. Until his death in
1904 he continued his work, and was vigorous in body and