Mary Depue Ogden.

Memorial cyclopedia of New Jersey (Volume 4) online

. (page 8 of 54)
Online LibraryMary Depue OgdenMemorial cyclopedia of New Jersey (Volume 4) → online text (page 8 of 54)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Miller (i) and Sarah (Ramsey) Kline,
was born at Lebanon, New Jersey, Sep-
tember 4, 1807. He succeeded his father
as a merchant at Klinesville, was also a
farmer, and for several years was a jus-
tice of the peace, known to his community
as "Squire Kline." He married Mary
Roberson, a descendant of the Roberson
family of Leicestershire, England, mem-
bers of the Society of Friends. The Klines
were originally a French Huguenot fam-
ily, known as Klyn, but after their loca-
tion in Germany the name became Klein,
and in America, Kline. From this union
of Huguenot and Quaker blood sprang
James Augustus Kline, whose life story
follows.

James Augustus Kline, the son of
Henry Miller (2) and Mary (Roberson)
Kline, was born at Klinesville, Hunter-
don county, New Jersey, March 6, 1856.
His education was obtained in the old
brick academy at Flemington, the Read-
ing Academy, which afterward became a
public school, and Dr. HammiU's school
at Lawrenceville, New Jersey, whence he
was graduated in the class of 1876. While
at school, Mr. Kline found time for the
indulgence of a love for athletics, devot-
ing most of hjs time to track events, and
he was the holder of school records over
both long and short distances, a rather un-
usual attainment since proficiency in the
dashes, as a rule, bars a runner from the
longer distances. He never used tobacco:
Upon completing his general studies, he
entered the law office of the late Chester
Van Syckel, of Flemington, and after



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



studying under Mr. Van Syckel's direc-
tion for a time, passed the New Jersey
State bar examinations, and in February,
1880, was admitted to the bar as an attor-
ney. He became a counselor in June,
1883, and since that time has been en-
gaged in his specialty, the establishment
of land titles. He has been entrusted
with the settlement of numerous landed
estates, and through years of poring over
the documents bearing upon the owner-
ship of Hunterdon county property, he
has become almost familiar enough with
its history to enable him to advise accu-
rately without consulting the written rec-
ords. In 1886 he established a hardware
store in Flemington, which in the thirty
years of its existence has become the lead-
ing store of its kind in Hunterdon county.
As a business man he is known to his fel-
lows as he is to his brethren in profes-
sional walks, as an associate, upright and
straightforward.

None of Flemington's organizations or
institutions worthy of support, from mo-
tives of civic pride or far-seeing wisdom,
have ever been without his backing. He
was a charter member of the Public Li-
brary Association and for eight years its
president ; was for a number of years a
director of the local Building and Loan
Association, and also for some time served
the Board of Trade and Improvement
Company as secretary. In 1878 he was
one of a committee of three who accom-
plished the reorganization of the Flem-
ington Fire Department, and is the holder
of the first exemption certificate issued by
the town. Though this certificate re-
lieves Mr. Kline of the duty of answer-
ing the alarm, he has refused to avail him-
self of the privilege, retaining his early
hearty interest. Mr. Kline has also had
a share in protecting and conserving the
game, birds and animals, and fish of his
county as secretary of the Hunterdon

N J-4 4 49



County Fish and Game Association. This
office he has held since 1891, always giv-
ing of the best of his time and labors for
the advancement of its work. Mr. Kline
is an independent Democrat in political
thought, and is the present assessor of
Flemington. He first entered the office to
fill an unexpired term, and through suc-
cessive reflections has served the office
for eight years. He is conclusively the
choice of his fellow citizens. He was re-
cently reflected for another term of three
years. He is a member of the Hunterdon
County Historical Society, and a life
member of the New Jersey Historical So-
ciety. The patriotic services of his an-
cestors give him membership in the New
Jersey Society, Sons of the American Rev-
olution. He is also prominent in Masonic
circles, belonging to Darcy Lodge, No. 37,
Free and Accepted Masons, of which he
was worshipful master for two years ;
Clinton Chapter, No. 37, Royal Arch Ma-
sons, holding the office of principal so-
journer for several years ; St. Elmo Com-
mandery, No. 14, Knights Templar, of
Lambertville, New Jersey; and is also a
charter member of Crescent Temple, An-
cient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic
Shrine, of Trenton, New Jersey. For
twenty-nine years he served as a trustee
of the Flemington Presbyterian Church,
a leader in its work, was connected with
the Sunday school for an equal length of
time, and for seven years filled the office
of church treasurer. Mr. Kline has been
called, as the above brief record shows, to
positions where he has had great oppor-
tunity for the service of his fellows, and it
stands to his enduring credit that he has
seized these opportunities in every in-
stance.

He married (first) May 27. 1885, Anna
V. L. Sheppard, who died February 8,
1897, daughter of William N. and Jane
Voorhees Sheppard, of Neshanic, Somer-



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



set county, New Jersey. Her mother,
Jane Voorhees (Schenck) Sheppard, was
a daughter of Captain John Schenck, who
participated in the historic engagement
below Flemington in Revolutionary times,
when a handful of Colonial soldiers routed
a whole troop of British. On April 30,
1902, Mr. Kline married (second) Annie
Madison, daughter of the late John S. and
Sarah S. Madison, of Clinton, New Jersey.



GORDON, William E.,

Financier, Philanthropist.

As junior member of the banking and
brokerage house, Henry Brothers & Com-
pany, the business activities of Mr. Gor-
don were mainly confined to the city of
New York, but from 1882 he had been a
resident of Newark, New Jersey, and was
a well known figure in that city, particu-
larly in its social life. His personal ac-
quaintance was very large, his charming
personality winning men to him, while his
genial disposition, unselfish spirit and un-
tailing courtesy ever held them. He was
a man of deepest sincerity, broad minded
and generous, and there was that solid
quality to his manhood which all admired,
while his strikingly handsome appearance,
his quiet wit and humor, and merry dis-
position made him the life of every social
gathering he attended.

William E. Gordon, son of Philip Gor-
don, was born in Jersey City, New Jersey,
in 1856, and died at his home in Newark,
February 28, 1916. He was educated in
New York City private schools, and early
entered business life. He chose the finan-
cial district as the scene of his activity,
thoroughly mastered the problems of
Wall street dealing, and there passed his
entire business life. He was variously
connected during his career as a broker,
finally becoming junior partner of Henry
Brothers & Company, bankers and



brokers, representing his house upon the
floor of the Stock Exchange, of which he
was a member. He was very successful
in his business, and was recognized as one
of the able men of the Exchange, but
there was no man who more strongly in-
sisted upon the fairest dealing. His de-
votion to that principle was a passion and
one that ever ruled him. His house con-
ducted a branch office in Newark, but Mr.
Gordon had no outside business affilia-
tions. He was connected with many large
financial operations, was a wise counselor
and trusted leader.

Before making Newark his home he re-
sided in Jersey City. For several years
he was a member of New York's famous
military organization, the Seventh Regi-
ment, New York National Guard. In
Newark he was a popular member of the
Essex Club, for several years was treas-
urer of the club, and at the time of his
death a member of the board of gov-
ernors. His New York clubs were the
Union League, Lotos and Bankers. His
deeds of charity were many, his generous
soul responding to all demands made upon
him whether for public institution or pri-
vate aid.

Mr. Gordon married Frances Gordon
Vail, daughter of Philetus W. and Ma-
tilda Gordon Vail. Children : Philip ; and
Leonard J., died in 1901.



RITTENHOUSE, Oscar,

Merchant, Public Official.

At a national convention of advertising
men held in Philadelphia during a week
of the summer of 1916, one of the inter-
esting events of that week was a visit to
the ruins of the first paper mill built and
operated in America. This old mill, stand-
ing on the banks of a stream which
empties into the Wissahickon, one mile
above the Schuvlkill river, was erected bv



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Nicholas (Clans) Ruttyhuysen, who set-
tled in New Germantown, Pennsylvania,
between 1683 and 1710.

William Rettinghousen, son of Nicho-
las (Claus) Ruttyhuysen, bought land
near Rosemont, in Delaware township,
Hunterdon county, New Jersey, in 1734,
the tract including one thousand acres. In
1754 he built the stone house in Rosemont
village, opened a tavern, the sign for
which displayed the emblem of a treas-
urer: Cross Keys, the inn being long
known as the "Cross Keys Tavern." Later
the inn was known as the "Rittenhouse,"
the village also for some time being
known by the same name. The first death
in the village was that of Mrs. William
Rittenhouse. She bore her husband four
sons : Isaac, Lot, Peter, and Moses. From
these sons, descendants of Nicholas
(Claus) Ruttyhuysen, sprang the Hunter-
don county families of Rittenhouse, as the
name was anglicized.

Oscar Rittenhouse, one of Hunterdon's
leading young business men, conducting
probably the largest clothing establish-
ment in the county, is a descendant of
William Rettinghousen, the founder of
the family in Hunterdon county, and son
of William and Ida (Brewer) Ritten-
house. William Rittenhouse, son of James
Rittenhouse, was born at the homestead
farm near Lockstown, Kingwood town-
ship, Hunterdon county, and spent his
life engaged in farming, fruit growing,
stock dealing and merchant. He married
Ida Brewer, of an old and prominent
county family, who bore him nine chil-
dren : Sarah, died in childhood ; Violet,
died aged forty-five, the wife of Martin F.
Bellis ; Brewer, a resident of Flemington,
New Jersey ; James J., Sergeantsville,
New Jersey; Charles H., deceased; Eliza-
beth, married John W. Bellis ; Gabriel C.,
of Middletown, New York ; Oscar, of fur-
ther mention; Alwilda R., married Peter



Q. Stryker, whom she survives. William
Rittenhouse died at Stockton, New Jer-
sey, in 1892, his wife, Ida (Brewer) Rit-
tenhouse, died in 1911.

Oscar Rittenhouse was born at the
homestead farm in Kingwood township,
Hunterdon county, New Jersey, August
19, 1869. He was educated in the schools
of Stockton and Baptistown and spent his
early life as his father's assistant. He be-
gan business life at the age of seventeen
as clerk in the store of William H. Mar-
tin at Frenchtown, New Jersey, there ob-
taining excellent business training. In
1888 he became a clerk in the clothing
store of his brother, Charles H. Ritten-
house, at Clinton, New Jersey, continuing
with him in confidential capacity until the
latter's death in 1890. In the settlement
of the estate Oscar Rittenhouse purchased
an interest in the clothing business, con-
tinuing it as a partner with his widowed
sister-in-law under the firm name, Rit-
tenhouse & Company. Upon the death
of Mrs. Charles H. Rittenhouse, he pur-
chased the interest of her heirs and be-
came sole owner, still continuing it under
the old firm name, Rittenhouse & Com-
pany. He has greatly extended his lines
in recent years and has a large well-ap-
pointed clothing and gentlemen's furnish-
ing store, in which is transacted a very
prosperous, well-managed business. Hav-
ing been a partner in the business and its
practical manager from 1890 until he be-
came sole owner, Mr. Rittenhouse has de-
veloped as it has expanded, and ranks with
the able leading merchants of the county.
He has built his success upon the broad
principle of a "square deal" and has won
the entire confidence of his community.

Mr. Rittenhouse is a Democrat in politi-
cal affiliation, and has for many years
taken an active part in borough and
county affairs. He has served the bor-
ough of Clinton as councilman and school



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



director, was appointed clerk of the Board
of Freeholders, and in 1914 was elected
surrogate of Hunterdon county, an office
he now most acceptably fills. He is recog-
nized as one of the able party leaders in
his county, and has sat as delegate in
many county, district, and State conven-
tions of his party. He is a member of the
Hunterdon County Country Club, and an
attendant of the old school or primitive
Baptist church.

Mr. Rittenhouse married, January 3,
1893, Elizabeth Hoff, of Frenchtown, New
Jersey, a member of an old family of that
section. Mr. and Mrs. Rittenhouse are
the parents of three children : William
O., born April 8, 1894; Janet E., born
April 10, 1896; and Roland, who died in
1913, aged six years.



DOUGLAS, William Henry,

Representative Citizen.

When Samuel Douglas died he left a
young son, William Henry Douglas, to
the care of his widow, Eliza (Rockefeller)
Douglas. She married a second husband,
Stephen B. Sanders, a carriage builder of
Newark, who taught the lad his trade
upon his arrival at a suitable age, but
later Mr. Douglas took up office work,
and was principally engaged as an ac-
countant. He was an expert bookkeeper,
and wherever employed was highly re-
garded.

William Henry Douglas was born in
Newark, New Jersey, August 14, 1842,
and died in his native city, March 9, 1896,
son of Samuel and Eliza (Rockefeller)
Douglas, and a brother of Frederick S.
Douglas, a prominent jewelry manufac-
turer of Newark, now too deceased. Wil-
liam H. Douglas was quite young when
his father died, but he obtained a good
education, his father's membership in the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows en-



listing the interest of that order, and to
that his school advantages were due.
After arriving at proper age he became an
apprentice to the carriage builders' trade,
his employer being his stepfather, Ste-
phen B. Sanders, a well known carriage
builder of Newark in his day. After com-
pleting his years as a learner he did not
long remain at his trade, but became a
bookkeeper in the office of the same car-
riage works in which he had learned his
trade. He remained as bookkeeper with
Mr. Sanders for several years, then mar-
ried, and removed to a farm in Middlesex
county, New Jersey, which he had bought.
He continued a farmer for eight years,
then sold out, and returned to Newark
and obtained a position as bookkeeper
with the Newark Gas Company. He was
also paymaster for that company, and
continued in their employ until his death
at the age of fifty-four years. He literally
"died in the harness," his illness a very
short one. He is buried in Mt. Pleasant
Cemetery, Newark.

Mr. Douglas married, December 15,
1870, Martha Hallock Johnson, born No-
vember 7, 1846, who survives him, her
home. No. 160 Monmouth street, New-
ark. Mrs. Douglas is a daughter of Aaron
Crane Johnson, who was of the eighth
generation of the family founded in New
England by Robert Johnson, of York-
shire, England, one of the first settlers of
the New Haven Colony. Robert Johnson
was the father of Thomas Johnson, who
came to Newark before the end of the
month of May, 1666, with a company of
thirty families from Connecticut. The
line of descent to Mrs. Douglas is through
Robert Johnson, one of the founders of
the New Haven Colony ; his son, one of
the founders of Newark, New Jersey ; his
son Eliphalet ; his son Nathaniel ; his son
David ; his son Jotham ; his son Josiah ;



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



his son Aaron Crane Johnson, father of
Mrs. Douglas.

Aaron Crane Johnson was born in New-
ark, New Jersey, June 13, 1808, the family
home on Clinton avenue, on the present
Monmouth street. That tract was then
the farm of his father, Josiah Johnson,
which he operated largely as a stock and
fruit farm. When religious services were
held largely in private houses, the John-
son homestead was often used for that
purpose, and in the parlor of the Clinton
avenue home George Whitfield, the noted
evangelist, held his services. Aaron
Crane Johnson was educated in Newark
private schools, and began business life
as a clerk in the grocery store owned by
David Hayes. He continued there until
1834, then entered Auburn Theological
Seminary, Auburn, New York, there con-
tinuing study until 1841, when he was
compelled to leave on account of impaired
health. He then returned to Newark,
where he opened a grocery store at the
corner of Monmouth street and Clinton
avenue, and bought a few acres near the
old homestead, and conducted light farm-
ing operations in connection with his
store. This farm land he later sold, and
after six years he retired from the gro-
cery business. Later he entered into a
partnership with Aaron C. Ward and
Johnson Huntington, under the firm
name, Ward & Huntington, manufac-
turers of mouldings and house finish, with
a factory at the corner of McWherter and
Hamilton streets. Fifteen years later the
plant was destroyed by fire, and the firm
was dissolved. Mr. Johnson was then in
greatly impaired health, and until the
close of his life he was an invalid. He
was a man of high principles, the soul of
honor, and beloved by all who knew him.
Notwithstanding he was in poor health
the last twenty-five years of his life, he
retained his cheerful, genial disposition,



and was keenly alive to all that concerned
his own or the public's interest. With the
passing of the W r hig party he affiliated
with the newly formed Republican party,
and strongly supported its principles. He
held no public office, but rendered valu-
able service during the panic of 1857 as a
member of the relief committee. He was
long a member of the old First Presby-
terian Church, but later joined the Third
Presbyterian, which he served as elder,
finally aiding in the organizing of South
Park Church, taking a letter of dismissal
from Third Church to help the new
church which he also served as elder. His
father made his home with him until his
death in 1854 in the old home, now the site
of the Clinton Avenue Baptist Church,
and there Aaron Crane Johnson also died,
twenty years later.

Aaron C. Johnson married at Littleton,
New Jersey, April 16, 1834, Catherine
\Vheeler Johnson, born there, July 5, 1812,
died in Newark, June 14, 1863, daughter
of Mahlon and Sarah (Baker) Johnson.
Her father, Mahlon Johnson, was a farm-
er, prominent in town and military affairs,
her mother, Catherine Wheeler Johnson,
a woman of rare, womanly charm and
grace, a faithful Christian, and a devoted
wife and mother. Aaron C. and Catherine
Wheeler (Johnson) Johnson were the par-
ents of ten children: i. Anna Vail, born
April 10, 1835, died September 28, 1847.
2. Eliza Orr, born August 5, 1838, died
November 14, 1891. 3. Harriet Winslow,
born March 24, 1840, died March 2, 1869;
married, March 2, 1869, Jacob Kline
Meade, of Montclair, and had two chil-
dren : Catherine Wheeler, married Dr.
Adelbert B. Twitchell, of Newark ; and
Mary Camp, married Moses Bigelow, Jr.
4. Susan Day, born August 14, 1841, died
October 27, 1903. 5. Luther Halsey, born
July 8, 1843, died July 25, 1897. 6. Mary
Condit, born March 15, 1845. 7- Martha



53



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



Hallock, now widow of William Henry
Douglas. 8. Josiah William, born April
21, 1849; married, October i, 1874, Jo-
sephine P. Umbach, and they are the par-
ents of three children: Pauline Catherine,
Luther Halsey, and Dr. William Clinton
Johnson. 9. Henry Vail, born April 2,
1851, died April 18, 1857. 10. Annie Cath-
erine, born December 9, 1855, died April
16, 1857. Mr. and Mrs. William H. Doug-
las had no children. Mrs. Douglas is a
member of South Park Presbyterian
Church, New Jersey Historical Society,
and Newark Female Charitable Society.



HAWKE, William Wetherill, D. D. S.,

Prominent in Educational Work.

In the long ago, John Hawke, son of a
college professor, and of Scotch-Irish de-
scent, was born at Londonderry, Ireland.
He was also a man of education and
strong intellectuality, and after coming to
the American colonies, settled in Bristol,
Bucks county, Pennsylvania, where he
taught school, becoming a man of influ-
ence in that town. He was probably made
a Mason in the old country, as in 1798 he
joined Bristol Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons, by demit. He married Elizabeth
Van Kirk, of near Beverly, New Jersey,
who bore him two sons and two daugh-
ters.

William, son of John and Elizabeth
(Van Kirk) Hawke, was a blacksmith by
trade, but became a large landowner near
Bristol, also having a large interest in the
town. He was the owner of a line of
boats running between Bristol and Phila-
delphia, and was known far and near as
"Captain Hawke," also as "Squire
Hawke," as for several years he was a
justice of the peace. He was a devoted
member of the Methodist Episcopal
church, and very active in church affairs.
Captain Hawke married Maria Stack-



house, of an early pioneer Bucks county
family, dating from the coming of the
ship "Friends Adventure," in 1682. They
were the parents of eleven children: Jo-
seph Warner ; Levis ; Edward Page, of
further mention ; James A., a medical
director of the United States Navy ; Re-
becca, married Doctor William Wetherill,
of Lambertville, New Jersey ; Eliza, mar-
ried James Rue, of Hulmeville, Pennsyl-
vania ; Mary Ann, married Henry Wright,
of Bristol, Pennsylvania ; Anna, married
Timothy Stackhouse ; John; Warner; and
a daughter who died young. After Cap-
tain Hawke's death, a beautiful memorial
window was placed in the Bristol Epis-
copal Church to his memory.

Edward Page Hawke, son of William
and Maria (Stackhouse) Hawke, was
born at Bristol, Pennsylvania, December
12, 1833, died at Hopewell, New Jersey,
December 12, 1898, an eminent physician
in general practice for forty-two years, a
man loved and respected in the communi-
ties in which he practiced. He obtained
his classical education in private institu-
tions, studying for several years under a
retired Presbyterian minister who con-
ducted a private school in Bucks county.
After deciding to become a physician, he
read medicine in the office of his brother-
in-law, Dr. William Wetherill, of Lam-
bertville, New Jersey, then entered the
Medical Department of the University of
Pennsylvania, whence he was graduated
M. D., class of 1856. He began practice
with Dr. Baldwin, of Stoutsburg, New
Jersey, but after the death of Dr. Bald-
win he bought the property at Blawen-
burg, Somerset county. New Jersey, and
there practiced for several years. In 1885
he purchased a home in Hopewell, Mer-
cer county. New Jersey, and there prac-
ticed until his death. He was a general
practitioner, ranking very high in his pro-
fession, very careful and accurate in diag-



54



ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIOGRAPHY



nosis, and skillful in treatment. He was a
Republican in politics. Dr. Edward
Hawke Page married Ida S. Skillman,
born in Hopewell, New Jersey, February
12, 1832, died November 7, 1908, daugh-
ter of Abraham and Henrietta (Stout)
Skillman, of Hopewell, of an old and in-
fluential Mercer county family. Abraham
Skillman was one of the party who long
after the war of the Revolution had ended,
accompanied General Lafayette in his
journey through New Jersey, visiting the
historic battlefields of the State. Dr. and
Mrs. Hawke were the parents of : Carrie
J., married Peter V. Bergen, of Prince-
ton, New Jersey ; William Wetherill, of
further mention ; Edward Skillman, M.
D., an eminent physician of Trenton, New
Jersey, married Adelaide Knapp ; Henri-
etta, married Van Rensselaer Martling;
Mary E., now residing at Flemington,
New Jersey.

William Wetherill Hawke, eldest son of
Dr. Edward Page and Ida S. (Skillman)
Hawke, was born at Blawenburg, Somer-
set county, New Jersey, September u,
1864. After completing courses in the
public school of the village, he entered
Pennington Seminary, but illness at two
different periods of his seminary courses
prevented graduation. He completed
general study with a course at the Rider
Business College in Trenton, then became
a student in the office of Dr. P. J. Wilson,
then of Princeton, now of Newark, New
Jersey. After an apprenticeship under



Online LibraryMary Depue OgdenMemorial cyclopedia of New Jersey (Volume 4) → online text (page 8 of 54)