Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 104 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 104 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


eleven days. They had children as follows : David died
aged twenty-six years; Henry, born Dec. 18, 1838, m.
Adeline Fenstermacher, and is deceased; Milton H., who
died Feb. 20, 1892, was twice married, and his second
wife, Louisa E. (Knoske), lives at Bowers, Pa.; Tilgh-
man ; Alvin H., residing on the old homestead, m. Gather-



406



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



ine Saul; and Sally Ann died when two years old. David
De Long, the father, carried on farming in Longswamp
township, Berks county, through all his active years.

TiLGHMAN De Long, son of David, was born Aug. 2,
1849, in Rockland township, Berks Co., Pa., and was edu-
cated in the country schools as they were in his boyhood.
He grew up on the farm, and also worked in the ore mines.
When nineteen years of age he apprenticed himself to
David Zimmerman, at Monterey, with whom he learned
cabinetmaking and undertaking. After serving three
years with this man he was considered a good workman
and went to Schrader, FeHx & Kline, a well-known firm
at that time, now doing business at Reading as Schrader
& Kline, and remained there until 1872, when he came
to Topton and embarked in business for himself. Mr.
De Long at first worked alone, doing all his manufacturing
by hand, but as his business increased he took an appren-
tice, this being Charles Fenstermacher, who has continued
with him ever since. His skill as a workman and his
promptness in filling his contracts soon brought more and
more business to Mr. De Long and he added more assis-
tants, two of whom, Jonathan Barto and Lewis Keller,
still are of his right-hand men. He began equipping his
plant with some machinery that he put up himself first
operating it by hand and later by horse-power, and recently
he has built a new factory of large dimensions which he
has equipped with the latest improved machinery. The
year round he gives employment to from fifty to seventy-
five men. He is now one of the leading manufacturers
of Eastern Pennsylvania. His specialty is in the line of
bank, hotel, store and church fixtures.

In 1905, Mr. De Long organized the T. De Long Furni-
ture Company, of which . he is president and principal
stockholder, his sons, Ellwood and Victor, being partners.
.'Vt the same time De Long, Son & Co. was organized,
which includes the retail furniture and undertaking busi-
ness at Topton and Fleetwood, the latter of which is man-
aged by the other son, Irwin D. De Long. Mr. De Long
officiated as undertaker at over 3,200 funerals before he
delegated the Fleetwood branch of the business to Irwin
D., in 1898. He is still active, though he employs Mr.
Schofer to attend to the Topton branch of the undertak-
ing business.

On April 4, 1874, Mr. De Long was married to Angeline
Fenstermacher, daughter of Reuben and Polly (Mensch)
Fenstermacher. Her father, now deceased, was long a
prominent farmer of this section. To Mr. and Mrs. De
Long were born eight children, as follows : Minnie Ren-
neta, born Aug. 3, 1875, died Nov. 7, 1876; Irwin David,
born Aug. 7, 1877; Ellwood F., born June 23, 1879; Charles
Franklin, born May 29, 1881, died Aug. 22, 1883; Ada
Alavesta, born Dec. 26, 1882, married Milton O. Knauss,
and had one child, deceased; Victor Wilson, born July 9,
1884, m. Laura Fisher, and has one daughter. Lulu Rachel ;
Eva Helen, born Oct. 23, 1888, resides at home; and Lidu
May, born Nov. 16, 1893, died Dec. 2, 1809.

Mr. De Long is a stanch Democrat and on many occas-
ions has been chosen by his fellow citizens to assume
the duties and responsibilities attaching to important of-
fices. He has filled all the minor borough offices, for
three years was a director of the poor for Berks county,
and at present is serving his second term as a member
of the Topton town council. His good judgment, his
business foresight and his sterling personal character, make
him an ideal citizen. He apphes the same principles in
looking after the interests of public business as he has
always done to his private affairs, by which he has built
up from a very small beginning a trade that extends all
over the world, shipments of his goods having been made
to Porto Rico and even to far-off China. Mr. De Long
and wife belong to the German Reformed Church, and
in this faith they have reared their family. He is a
,member of Camp No. 172, P. O. S. of A.; of Longswamp
Lodge, L O. O. F. ; of the K. of P., at Lyons; and of
Adonai Castle, K. G. E., at Kutztown. He is a man who
in every relation of life can claim the respect of his
fellow citizens, and he enjoys also in large measure their
esteem.



Ellwood F. De Long, vice-president of the T. De Long
Furniture Company, was born and reared at Topton, where
he first attended school. Later he became a student at the
Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, and after-
ward graduated at the Drexel Institute of Art, Science
and Industry. For a long time he filled the position of
designer for the large furniture factory and now is sales
manager for the firm. He married Minnie Christ and they
have one son, Karl Christ. He belongs to Huguenot
Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M., Kutztown; and to Camp
172, P. O. S. of A.

Victor Wilson De Long, secretary and associate partner
of the firm of T. De Long Furniture Company, was born
and reared at Topton. From the borough schools he en-
tered the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, and
afterward attended Schissler's Business College at Norris-
town. He married Laura Fisher. He is a member of
Camp No. 172, P. O. S. of A., and Huguenot Lodge, No.
377, F. & A. M., Kutztown. He belongs to the Reformed
Church.

IRWIN DAVID De LONG, manager of the Fleetwood
branch of D'e Long, Son & Co., dealers in furniture and
house furnishings of all descriptions at Topton and
Fleetwood, was born at Topton, Aug. 7, 1877. His educa-
tion was acquired in the borough schools, and the Key-
stone State Normal School at Kutztown. In the spring of
1895 he entered Schissler's College of Business at Norris-
town. Pa., completing the course there in October follow-
ing. In the spring of 1897 he entered the Massachusetts
College of Embalming, and graduated therefrom June 25,
1897, later taking a post-graduate course, which he com-
pleted Nov. 18, 1898. He also took a post-graduate course
in the Philadelphia Training School for Embalmers, com-
pleting it May 2, 1902. He then became his father's assis-
tant at Topton, the latter being one of the best known
undertakers in the county, and the son had literally grown
up in the business.

On Feb. 15, 1906, the firm of De Long, Son & Co., was
formed by the following: Tilghman De Long, Irwin D.
De Long,and Jacob J, Schofer. They carry a very large
stock of furniture and, in fact, of all house furnishings,
and operate stores at Topton and Fleetwood. The senior
member of the firm, Mr. Tilghman De Long, is one of
the most highly respected men in the county, and has
the largest trade of any undertaker in Berks county out-
side of Reading.

Socially Mr. Irwin D. De Long is a member of Camp
No. 172, P. O. S. of A., of Topton ; Orion Castle, No. 501,
K. G. E., Topton ; Willow Valley Lodge, K. P., Fleetwood ;
Kutztown Aerie, No. 836, F. O. E. ; Fleetwood Castle
No. 153, A. O. K. M. C. ; Yuma Tribe, I. O. R. M. ; Arab-
ian Degree Kean; Buzzards Association, and Haymakers.
He is a member of the Fleetwood Reformed Church, while
his wife belongs to the Lutheran Church.

On June 14, 1900, Mr. De Long was married to Katharine
H. Drey, daughter of George L. and Katharine (Fisher)
Drey, of Bowers. They have one daughter, Janice Ethel.
Mrs. De Long greatly assists her husband in the under-
taking business.

JOHN J. KUTZ, lawyer of Reading, is descended from
an old and honorable German family which has left its
impress on the institutions of the county. He was born
m Readmg, Jan. 16, 1865.

Jacob, John, Adam, John, Adam, John, thus run the
Christian names of the Kutz family from the great-great-
great-grandfather to the present generation. Jacob and the
first John were leading farmers of Berks county before
the days of the Revolution, while the first Adam moved
into the village of Reading and began the manufacture
of hats, being, together with Samuel Homan (also the
great-grandfather of jNIr. Kutz), pioneers of that industry
m the country, a business which the grandfather also
earned on, as did the father of our subject, Adam Kutz a
member of the firm of Kutz, Arnold & Co., until the date
of his death, m 1876. He married Mary R. Seidel, daugh-
ter of Jacob Seidel, a retired farmer of Chester county.



BIOGRAPHICAL



407



Pa., and to them were born four children, Sanwel and
Bessie being deceased; those surviving are Sallie Edith and
John J., the former the wife of Addison Allen, a lawyer
of New York City.

John J. Kutz was born in Reading and is a product of
her institutions so far as his primary training is concerned.
He later attended Phillips Academy at Andover, Mass.,
where he graduated in 1884. Matriculating then at Yale
University, he took his literary degree in 1888, and
then took up the study of his profession in the law
department of that University. He continued his study
in the office of .Cyrus G. Derr, and in 1890 was admitted
to the Bar of Berks county. Since that time he has been
engaged in the practice of law, and in addition is inter-
ested in financial and industrial lines. He is a director
of the National Union Bank of Reading, a director of the
Pennsylvania Trust Company, a director of the ' Reading
Gas Company, vice-president of the Mt. Penn Stove
Works, and president of the Columbian Cutlery Company.

Mr. Kutz was the candidate of the Republican party for
district attorney in 1895. He is a member of the Wyo-
missing, Berkshire and Tuesday Clubs, and a member of
the Lutheran denomination.

Mr. Kutz was married to Mary Mcllvain, Jan. 26, 1898.
Mrs. Kutz is the daughter of the late Morton C. Mcll-
vain, an iron-master of Reading, who married
Sidney H. Leoser, and on both sides of the family
comes of distinguished stock. Her great-great-grandfather
on the maternal side, Michael Hilkgass, was the first
treasurer of the United States. On her father's side she
is the great-great-granddaughter of John Morton, who was
one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence,
and was in the Congress of the United States during the
Revolution. Her grandfather, Thomas S. Leoser, was a
distinguished veteran of the Mexican war, having been
captain of what was familiarly known as the Reading
Artillerists. Three of Mrs. Kutz's uncles were in the
war of the Rebellion, Lieut. Howard Mcllvain, Capt.
Charles McKnight Leoser and Lieut. Christopher Leoser. •

JAMES A. SCHOFER, a prominent representative of
the business life of Reading, located at No. 108 South Fifth
street, is proprietor of that well-known establishment on
South Fifth street — Schofer's Bakery. He was born Dec.
30, 1858, in Exeter township, Berks county, son of Christo-
pher H. Schofer (who is mentioned elsewhere).

James A. Schofer obtained a portion of his education in
the common schools of Exeter township, association with
th,e world through many years of activity in business
completing it. His first work was the driving of a bakery
wagon, attending the weekly market at Reading, and he
continued in this work until he was twenty-eight years
old. Wishing to perfect himself in the bakery business he
went to Philadelphia and completed his trade under J. A.
Moss, who had been chief steward at the "Continental
Hotel" for fifteen years.

After learning all that this competent instructor could
teach him, Mr. Schofer returned to Reading and entered
his father's bakery establishment, remaining there until
1885. Then, in company with William Miller, he en-
gaged in the baking business on Douglass street, between
Ninth and Tenth, remaining three years, at the end of
which time he sold out to his partner and returned to
his father's employ. Here he remained until 1894, when
he started again on his own account, at his present quar-
ters. From a small beginning, Mr. Schofer has built up
a fine trade and he has one of the most complete plants
in that part of the State, equipped with every known de-
vice for modern baking. It is located at Nos. 108-110
South Fifth street, a brick structure 6f pleasing architec-
ture, 48 X 230 feet in dimensions, and it is interesting to
note the space given to the various departments in an
up-to-date sanitary plant of this kind. The sales room
and office contain 870 square feet; supply room,
480 square feet; first-floor bakery shop, 1,696 square
feet; second-fioor bakery shop, 896 square feet;
bread room, 1,349 square feet; third-floor flour room, 1.349
square feet; sifter and blender room, 2,444 square feet.



The rear building is four stories high and each floor con-
tains 4,000 square feet. There is nothing in the line of
plain or fancy baking that this modern baker cannot
accomplish, while fancy baking and choice confections of
every kind, for entertainments on any scale, for weddings
and all social functions, come entirely in the line of Mr.
Schofer's capacity. He gives employment to forty ex-
perienced workmen, uses seventeen horses and keeps his
delivery wagons out constantly. He has eight persons for
office work, a telephone girl, and everything found in a
metropolitan establishment of this kind. It is a credit to
Reading.

In 1882 Mr. Schofer married Ella C. Kline, a daughter
of Elam and Catherine Kline, deceased. Mr. and Mrs.
Schofer have had the following children : Robert R., who
is manager of his father's store; Henry H., deceased;
James F., a clerk in the establishment; Mabel A., a pupil
in the Reading high school; Edward K. and Charles. In
September, 1905, Edward K., of the above family, was
accidentally killed while delivering goods to the "Mansion
House," Reading. He belonged to the class of 1908,
Reading high school, was particularly bright and was a
great favorite with his classmates. His death was a ter-
rible blow to his parents. The family belong to St. Ltdce's
Lutheran Church, where Mr. Schofer has. been superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school for seventeen years.

Mr. Schofer has been eminently the architect of his own
fortunes and his success but points the way for others to
follow persistently the path of industry and economy in
youth. In politics Mr. Schofer is a Democrat, although
he has never cared for political offices.

J. ALLISON ORR, one of Reading's representative
business men, superintendent of the Mt. Penn Stove Works
for twenty-five years, and for thirteen years a partner in
the Reading Radiator Company, of which he later was
president, held a position of recognized influence in the
industrial circles of the city. Mr. Orr was born March 9,
1845, near Chester Springs, Chester Co., Pa., son of Wil-
liam and Margaret (White) Orr, and grandson of Robert
Orr, and he died Oct. 1, 1907.

Robert Orr was born in Ireland, and was brought to
America jn childhood. His parents located near Yellow
Springs, and there after reaching manhood he engaged
in farming. He died in 1853. For many years he was sex-
ton of the Vincent Baptist Church. His five children were :
William, George, John, Jesse and Mrs. Catherine Sturgis.

William Orr was a shoemaker by trade, but later he
became superintendent of an ore quarry. The latter years
of his hfe he devoted to farming. He became a man of
some substance, and lived to the age of seventy-eight
years. His wife, Margaret, died aged seventy-four years.
They had three sons : John W., of the Mount Penn Stove
Works; Jesse, deceased; and J. Allison. In religious be-
lief the parents were Baptists. The father was a Demo-
crat.

J. Allison Orr was afforded better educational advan-
tages than were many of the youths of his day. He at-
tended Franklin Hall and Pikeland Seminary, both ex-
cellent schools. After completing his education he became
a clerk in a general store in Chester county, remaining
six years. In 1868 he came to Reading as a stove
mounter for Orr, Painter & Co., but twelve years later
he went to Philadelphia, where he purchased a milk route,
which he carried on for two years, returning to Reading
at the end of that time. He then accepted his late respon-
sible position with the Mount Penn Stove Works where
he had charge of 130 workmen.

On Dec. 31, 1868, Mr. Orr married Cassie R. Saylor,
and they had six children, three still living, as follows :
Jesse, chief shipping clerk for the Mount Penn Stove
Works, m. Katharine Goodhart; Bertha is at home; and
Edwin was a student in the Electrical Department of
the University of Pennsylvania.. The home of the family
is at No. 40 North Third street. Mr. Orr was a member
of the Royal Arcanum. In politics he was a Republican.



408



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



EDWARD S. KREMP, lawyer, Reading, comes from
an ancestry which had its origin in Alsace-Lorraine, sev-
eral generations of the family having resided in Saar-
Union, while under the jurisdiction of France, of which
municipality his great-grandfather, John Kremp, a Chev-
alier de St. Louis (born Dec. 12, 1747, died Feb. 36, 1836),
was Mayor from 1810 to 1819.

Xavier Kremp, grandfather of Edward S., was born
April 13, 1791, and was for a number of years municipal
clerk of Saar-Union.

Dominic Kremp, son of Xavier, born June 18, 1832, came
to America in June, 18.50, taking up his residence in Read-
ing. Berks Co., Pa. He dealt for many years in real
estate but is now living retired. His wife was ^Matilda
Leitham, daughter of Martin Leitham, a prominent farmer
of Bally, Berks county. To them were born three chil-
dren : Mary E., Anna A., and Edward S.

Edward S. Kremp is a native of Reading, born Nov. 16,
1866. His early educational training was gained in the
public schools of the city, and he later attended St. Vin-
cent's College, at Latrobe, Pa., where he was graduated
with first honors in 1886. Beginning the study of law in
the office of Cyrus G. Derr, of Reading, he was admitted
to the Bar in November, 1889, and has since continued
to practice.

Mr. Kremp married, in 1890, Miss Elsie Boas, who
comes from distinguished ancestry, being the daughter
of Capt. E. P. Boas and Elizabeth Kupp, the latter the
daughter of Major Henry S. Kupp, of Birdsboro, Berks
count}', who was provost marshal during the war of the
Rebellion. Her mother, Rebecca (Morgan) Kupp, was a
daughter of Colonel Morgan, the founder of Morgantown,
Berks county, and the line here runs back to the Morgans
of Revolutionary fame. To Mr, and iSIrs. Kremp has
been born one daughter, Augusta.

Mr. Kremp at one time owned the beautiful country
seat known as "Ravenswood" in the suburbs, which was
built by him, and he is the author of "Caws from. Ravens-
wood," a booklet of poems which appeared in December,
1895, and which two months thereafter was translated into
German by Professor Wilhelm Hartmann.

F. J. KANTNER, M. D., a well-known physician, of
Reading, Pa., where he has been successfully engaged in
the duties that pertain to his profession since 1888, is one
of the leading citizens of the city. He was born Sept. 12,
1852, in Penn township, Berks county, son of Joel and
Elizabeth (Leib) Kantner.

Thomas Kantner, grandfather of the Doctor, was born
in Tulpehocken township, Berks county, in 1790. He be-
came a prominent and well-to-do farmer, and he also
owned and operated an old-time applejack distillery, ac-
cumulating a comfortable competency. He died in 1869,
and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine
Heister, was born in 1792, and died in 1878. They were
the parents of the following children : Lydia m. John
Zerby ; Isaac ; Maria m. Jacob Spangier ; Margaret m.
Isaac Knoll; Joel; Levi; Asa; Hannah m. Bennewell Deg-
ler; Zeth ; Elizabeth; Ismael ; and Augustus. In religious
belief the family were all members of the Reformed
Church, and in political matters they were Democrats.

Joel Kantner, son of Thomas, received his education
in the common schools of Upper Tulpehocken township,
and early in life he became interested in working in wood.
He was a skilled and ingenious mechanic, and there was
hardly anything in the line of wood or iron work that he
was unable to make or repair. He built many church pipe
organs in his locality, some of which are in use at the
present time, and he also manufactured melodeons. In
addition Mr. Kantner operated a small farm. He was a
member of the Reformed Church, giving liberallv to its
support, and he died in its faith in April, 1888, aged sixty-
six years. His first wife died in 1859, agedl thirty years.
He married (second) Leah ^Miller. His four children were
all born to the first imion, and were : Washington, of
Reading: Dr. F. J.; William T.. of Reading; and Levi,
who died aged four years. In politics Mr. Kantner was
a stanch Democrat.



Dr. F. J. Kantner's early education was secured in the
schools of Penn township, and he later attended Stouchs-
burg Academy, subsequently teaching school for one term
each in District and Jefferson townships, and later he at-
tended the Womelsdorf Academy for two terms under
Professor Grumbine. He then engaged in the sewing
machine and musical instrument business, but afterward
returned to the old home where he remained about one
year. At the end of that time Mr. Kantner moved to
Bernville, remaining there until 1877, when he came to
Reading and accepted a position with C. M. Maxwell,
selling pianos and organs, later engaging on his own ac-
count at No. 517 Penn street in the same business. Mr.
Kantner took up the manufacture of reed organs on a
large scale, but finding competition too great, he sold
out his business to take up the study of medicine, having
previously read medicine with a view to entering the pro-
fession, liut abandoning the idea on account of lack of
funds with which to pursue his studies. He entered Jef-
ferson Medical College of Philadelphia in 1885, and was
graduated therefrom in 1888, with the degree of M. D.,
at once opening offices in Reading, where he has since
been engaged in a lucrative practice.

In 1872 Dr. Kantner married Mary C. Zellar, of Marion
township, Berks county. Four children have been born
to this union : Laura L., a teacher in the public schools of
Reading; Harry H., an attorney-at-law ; Mary A., wife
of Dr. Stryker; and Lottie, at home. Dr. Kantner is a
loyal Democrat in politics, and was elected coroner of
Berks county for one term.

CALVIN KLINE WHITNER, president of the Farmers'
National Bank of Reading and founder of the mercantile
business of C. K. Whitner & Co., at Reading, Pa., who
has become known throughout Berks and surrounding
counties as one of its leading merchants, was born in
1841, in the southern part of Oley township, son of George
and Christiana (Kline) Whitner.

Rev. John George Wittner, of Bellheim, Germany, the
great-grandfather of Calvin K., was born in 1735, edu-
cated at the University of Heidelberg, and in 1766 was
sent by the Holland Deputies as a missionary to Amer-
ica, landing at New York in the fall of that year' He
was a son of Rev. Abraham Wittner. a Protestant min-
ister in Germany from 1734 to 1743, and subsequently
a councillor to the Consistory at Heidelberg.

Abraham Wittner, his grandfather, was born in 1773,
in Upper Milford township, Northampton (now Lehigh)
county, in the vicinity of Zionsville, He was brought
up to farming and about 1800 located in Albany town-
ship, Berks county, where he carried on farmiiig until
1810, when he removed to Columbia county, and there
continued agricultural pursuits until his decease, in 1854,
at the age of eighty-one years. By his first marriage
he had an only child, George, born Aug. 3, 1800, the
father of Calvin K. ; and by his second marriage he had
eleven children. '

George Whitner, his father, was a farmer near the
"Yellow House" in Oley for many ye.-irs. He died Jan.
13, 1809, in the sixty-ninth year o"f his age. He was an
earnest advocate of the common school system, against
■much local prejudice, and his influence assisted in its
adoption by Oley township in 1850, he having been a
great admirer of Hon. Thaddeus Stevens, who was the
chief agitator and defender of public schools before the
people and the State Legislature. During this period, about
1845, the spelling of the familv name was changed from
Wittner to Whitner. He married Christiana Kline (born
Dec. 2, 1804, died Dec. 16, 1872), daughter of David Kline,
of .'\mity township, and a lineal descendant of Elder
George Kline (who was born in German v in 1715, emi-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 104 of 227)