Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 108 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 108 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Grubb, of Lancaster, Pa., who, with six children, sur-
vives himx.

Thomas Stanley Smith, M. D., was born at Joanna
Furnace, Jan. 25, 1845, graduated at Amherst College in
1865, and at the Jefferson Medical School in 1868'. He
subsequently spent a year at the University of Leipsic,
Germany, pursuing studies in chemistry, a branch in which
he specially excelled. Upon his return he filled the posi-
tion of lecturer on physical diagnosis in the summer course
at the Jefferson College. He practised his profession in
Reading for a period of ten years, devoting his attention
particularly to ophthalmology, in which he acquired no-
table skill. Dr. Smith's scientific attainments were of a
high order, and had his ambition been for eminence in
his profession, he possessed the genius to attain it. His
health failing, his career was cut short by death, Nov. 25,
1887, in the forty-third year of his age.

CAPT. AARON ZIEGLER, proprietor of one of the
largest retail wall-paper establishments in the city of
Reading, , with business rooms at No. 355 Penn street, is
one of the leading citizens of .the city, and a man whose
services to his country in the dark hour of her need were
of such value that he merits highly the title by which he
is always known. Captain Ziegler is an honored member
of the old guard whose fast depleting ranks is a reminder
that Time's ceaseless march is removing us farther and



418



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



farther from one of the greatest wars of history — a war
fought on both sides with a courage and tenacity of pur-
pose unequaled, and befitting the Anglo-Saxon blood
which, commingling in fratricidal strife, cemented the na-
tion's disjointed parts into a splendid and magnificent
compact structure, alike worshipped by her loyal people,
and revered by the whole world. The story of Captain
Ziegler's movements during the Civil war would, if told
in all its lights and shadows, be worthy the pen of a
novelist of the realistic school. The necessary brevity of
this review precludes relating much of interest, but if the
reader will "read between the lines,'' he will be ready to
give credit where credit is due.

Of German ancestry. Captain Ziegler comes of a line
of agriculturists who settled in Bunker Hill, Lebanon
county. Pa., in pioneer times, and who in their different
generations were distinguished by loyal service to the
commonwealth. In this county Daniel Ziegler, grandfather
of Captain Aaron, passed his life as a farmer. The father
of the Captain, also named Daniel, was in his turn a con-
tractor and builder, with residence at JNfyerstown, Pa.
He lived to the advanced age of eighty-four, dying in
1883. His wife was ilartha Catherine Shepler, daughter
of Henry Shepler, a farmer of Lebanon county. The fam-
ily of which the Captain was the youngest member con-
sisted of nine children.

Captain Ziegler was born at Myerstown, Lebanon county,
Feb. 20, 1841. His boyhood, passed in huntble but honest
toil, laid the foundation of a splendid physical constitu-
tion, without which he would no doubt have succumbed
to the rigors of the war in which he was called to engage
ere he had reached maturity. He became quite an expert
at the trade of his father, while being helpful to him at
odd times, giving his attention more to the artistic feature
of decorating, in painting and paperhanging. It was while
engaged at this occupation that the Captain heard the toc-
sin of war resounding through the co^intry, and responded
to the call of the President for the defense of "Old
Glory."

Aaron Ziegler had as a boy and youth watched with
keen interest the oncoming storm, and while the Presi-
dential campaign was on, which precipitated it, his blood
warmed for the inevitable struggle. During that winter
he participated in the feverish anxiety of the people, and
was ready when the call was made to offer his services
to his country. It is true that like all the others of the
first enlistment, the boy was mightily afraid the strife
would be over before he could get to the front, but that
does not detract from the bravery of the act. Suffice it
that "he got to the front" in splendid style, and with
such vigor as to carry him even beyond the lines for a
period, during which he was an unwilling boarder at
some of the famous, or rather infamous, Confederate "ho-
tels." The fi-rst enlistment of the Captain was in the My-
erstown Rifles, Captain Jerome Myers, for the three
months' service. This company was not attached to any
regiment, and when they reached Harrisburg, the quota
for the three months' service being filled, the company was
ordered to Camp Curtin, where it remained until the pass-
ing of the Act organizing the Pennsylvania Reserves. He
then re-enlisted in Company I, 7th Pennsylvania Reserves,
the company being commanded by Captain Jerome Myers
and the regiment by Colonel Elisha B. Harvey. To follow
this company through the vicissitudes of the war which
drew out its cruel length through the ensuing four years
would be but the relation of battles fought and hardships
endured. It is enough to say that it was with the Army of
the Potomac in all of its struggles against Lee, acquit-
ting itself nobly in field and camp. This is vividlv at-
tested by the fact that of the ninety-five who marched out
of Myerstown on that July day of 1861, but sixteen
answered to roll-call as they stood again in their home
town after the conflict. These ninety-five had been cut
to thirty-three by the time of the Battle of the Wilderness,
where the company together with the entire regiment was
captured by the Confederates on May 5, 1864. Then en-
sued the horrors of Southern prison life, the rigors of
which carried away seventeen of the company, the rest



to be paroled in an emaciated and most pitiful condition.
The Captain's personal experiences during these harrow-
ing months were such as came to all, with the exception
of those which occurred during an attempted escape from
the prison at Columbia, S. C. Getting well away from
his captors, he spent three weeks in the swamps and low-
lands, pursued by fierce blood hounds and fiercer men.
Weak and almost exhausted from hunger and exposure,
he one day became aware that they were close on his
trail. With the blood hounds baying closely behind him,
he attempted to vault a rail fence, and in his weakness fell
in such a manner as to injure his right leg — and the game
was up. He was recaptured and thenceforth treated with
greater severity than ever. The injury was so severe that
it will continue to cause the Captain trouble through all his
life. During his prison experience the Captain was con-
fined in the following places : Danville, Va. ; JMacon, Ga. ;
Savannah, Ga. ; Charleston, S. C. (.where 500 officers were
confined and lay under the fire of their own guns on
Morris Island for three weeks, being in constant danger
of exploding shells); and Goldsboro, X^ Q- ^\■^^ time of
imprisonment covering eleven wear}' months. Carrying
180 pounds not one of which was superfluous, strong and
healthy at the time of his capture. Captain Ziegler returned
after his parole broken in health and weighing but 120
pounds. The Captain's title came to him by brevet for
gallant conduct at the battle of the Wilderness. He had
risen by successive promotions from the ranks to second
sergeant, to first sergeant, second lieutenant, and first
lieutenant. He was in command of the company while
first sergeant for five months, and for over a year while
first lieutenant, and led it in many of its fiercest engage-
ments.

"All honor to the Old Guard,

They did their best;
They have laid aside the old sword,
Shall it not rest?"

The war over. Captain Ziegler and his compatriots sur-
prised many European critics by returning quietly to the
avocations of peace. He took up the tangled ' threads
vvhere he had cast them aside four years before, and con-
tinued that line of work until 1S71 in his home town, when
he moved to Reading, where he has since resided. His
business location was for a time at Seventh and Court
streets, and later at No. 425 Penn street, where he operated
successfully for eleven years, from which place he re-
moved to his present location. No. 355 Penn street, where
he conducts one of the largest wall paper and paint houses
in the city.

A splendid soldier, Captain Ziegler has been equally
faithful as a citizen, ever true to his ideals of good govern-
ment. .^\ Republican in politics he has never sought office,
though in 1890 he was prominently mentioned for appoint-
ment to the postmastership of the "city. He holds member-
ship in many of the best fraternities, notablv the Odd Fel-
lows, the Red Men, and the Knights of the'Golden Eagle:
and he of course is a popular member of the different
soldier organizations,— the Grand .-Vrmy of the Republic,
the Veteran Legion, and the Ex-Prisoners of War .\sso-
ciation. His church affiliation is with the First Reformed
Church of Reading.

On Nov. 25, 1866, Captain Ziegler married ^Nliss Clara
Bennethum, daughter of John L. Bennethum, who for
many years conducted a hotel at Alyerstown, and later was
in the clothing business in Reading. To the Captain's mar-
riage one son was born, named Aaron D.. now in attendance
in the public high school. Full of years, passing into a
happy and peaceful old age, with manv of the friends of
his youth on this side to do him honor, this old soldier
looks back on a life well spent, receiving the grateful ac-
knowledgments of a united republic, and meriting the
universal esteem which is accorded him.

WILLIAM FRANKLIN BOND is of mixed English
and Pennsylvania-German blood, son of Edwin Bond and
Catharine Anne (Stump), He was born Oct. 31. 1861,
the anniversary of the German Reformation, in Green-
wich township, Berks Co,, Pa„ near Lenhartsville, a town-



BIOGRAPHICAL



419



ship noted for teachers who have become ministers of
the Lutheran and Reformed Churches.

Edward Bond, his paternal grandfather, emigrated to
America with several older brothers, John and Thomas,
from Longington, on the Itching rivulet, a branch of the
Avon river, in Warwickshire, England, ten miles from
Coventry and eight from Warwick, near the place where
Shakespeare was born. These three brothers, with a
number of other English emigrants sailed from Liverpool
in the vessel "Montezuma," landing in Philadelphia June
14, 1829. Being craftsmen in wood and iron industries.
Grandfather Bond and his brothers sought employment
in Schuylkill county, then new territory, in which much
construction work was going on, the coal production being
yet, however, in its infancy — though the mining of the
"black diamond" was the excitement of the country at
that time, attracting adventurous laborers from all over
the world. The older brothers, John and Thomas, having
been married, later on settled in Tamaqua, where Bond's
drug store and Bond's blacksmith shop are well known
to this day. Grandfather Edward Bond came across the
Atlantic as a single young man and remained settled at
Port Clinton inthe Schuylkill Water Gap, the very "port"
or mouth of. the anthracite coal region. There he married
Miss Mary Magdalene Yenser, reported to have been of
German-French descent.

It was at Port Clinton that Edwin Bond, the father
of the subject of this sketch, was born on Feb. 22, 1839.
When he was only nine years old his mother died, and
his father, a carpenter, lost his life by accident, Aug. 25,
1854, while working on a bridge of the Little Schuylkill
railroad. He helped to construct that road, which was at
first laid with wooden rails, covered with iron sheathing.
The coal cars were moved originally with horse-power.
An interesting incident is remembered in this connection,
which shows that the Bonds early took an active interest
in public education. It is known that the adoption of
the public school system was originally submitted to the
voters of the various precincts. The cause had been several
times before the voters, but had been as of ten defeated in the
Port Clinton district. It so happened that a deep snow fell
the night before another election, when the matter was
before the voters again, and the anti-public school party
not being on their guard, John Bond, one of the emigrant
brothers, who furnished some half dozen or more teams
to haul coal down the Little Schuylkill, on the morning
of election day said to his men : "Now, boys, this is our
opportunity. We can't haul coal today. Let's haul pro-
school voters to the polls." They did; and the result was
that the public schools were adopted in that precinct
somewhat earlier than in the adjoining districts, and it
became a leader in the line of progress and enterprise.

When yet a half orphan Edwin Bond was temporarily
placed by his father with James Moyer, a wholesale cigar
dealer and manufacturer of Hamburg, this county. When
his father so soon also died, he was given a more perma-
nent home at his own request by his maternal uncle,
George Yenser, who lived in Albany township, Berks
county. Thus by a strange coincidence the father of our
subject, Edwin Bond, was confirmed in the Lutheran faith
in the same New Bethel Church of Albany in whose ceme-
tery the remains of his great-great-grandfather, Hans
Georg Stump, were resting. Later George Yenser moved
to Greenwich township, near Lenhartsville, where he be-
came a prosperous farmer and was one of the prime mov-
ers in the erection of the Friedens Evangelical Lutheran
and Reformed Church of that place.

Though early deprived of parental love and influence,
Edwin Bond did not forget, as Moses in Egypt did not,
the religion taught by his mother. He was of a pious
and devoted turn of heart and mind. Edwin's brother,
John Bond, left the drug store to his namesake in Tam-
aqua and moved to Kansas. A younger brother, George,
has lived for many years in Fort Wayne, Ind., where he
invented a practical feature of the air-brake system.
There were three sisters : Ellen, who died a few years
ago in Pottsville, Katie, wife of Jacob Boyer, of Lewis-



town, and Sarah, wife of Frank Diehl, of St. Clair, the
latter two still living in Schuylkill county.

Whilst ooir subject is the third generation in this
country of paternal English descent, he is the fifth gener-
ation as to his maternal German lineage. The first ma-
ternal ancestor in America was John George Stump, who
emigrated from Germany, it is believed from Wurtemberg,
between the years 1717 and 1720. Bayard Taylor, in his
"History of Germany," states (pp. 437-444) that this was
a trying period for many German citizens, when the rude
and arbitrary Frederick William I. ruled over Prussia.
"The collective history of the German States — for we
can hardly say 'History of Germany,' when there really was
no Germany — at this timie, is a continuous succession of
wars and diplomatic intrigues, which break out in one
direction before they are settled in another." The War of
the Spanish Succession raging along the Rhine kept the
southern part of Germany in a state of convulsion for
some ydars. The luxury, jealousy and extravagance of
the petty princes made life hard for the common people.
"In Wiirtemberg the Duke Eberhard Ludwig so oppressed
the people that many of them emigrated to America be-
tween the years 1717 and 1720 and settled in Pennsyl-
vania." This history well corresponds with what our
subject remembers related by his maternal grandparents
about the hardships the earlier ancestors endured in the
mother country; that they came to this "land of the free"
as serfs, being obliged to earn off their passage across the
waters after they had landed on these shores. But they
prized their religious and political liberty higher than their
homes and landed possessions yonder, which by the rav-
ages of war and cruel confiscation were to them of little
value. That the Stumps came from Wiirtemberg, Ger-
many, is further substantiated by an account found in
"Thirty Thousand Emigrants," which states that Philip
Stumpff came across with 290 passengers on the ship "Ja-
cob," Adolph D. Grove, captain, sailing from Amsterdam,
by way of Shields, England.

Family tradition says that John George Stump was
"bound" out in one of the lower sections of Pennsylvania,
possibly near New Hanover, Montgomery county, until he
had earned his freedom, when he moved with otbers from
New Hanover to Albany township, Berks Co., Pa. For
it is stated by Rev. Prof. W. J. Mann, D. D., and Rev.
B. M. Schmucker, D. D., in "Halle Reports," that "Alle-
maengel," as Albany township was first called, was largely
settled by people from New Hanover (Vol. I, p. 415). The
name "Allemaengel" is said to be of German origin, and
is supposed to designate the poverty and misfortune of the
first settlers, who found a barren country where there
was a "want of all good and necessary things." But this
idea is not sustained by others; for the Rev. Dr.
Schmidt, who was secretary of the Ministerium of Penn-
sylvania in the year 1796, has added in the written minutes
of the Synod by way of explanation the word "Allemin-
gao," showing that "the former name for "Albany" was
of Indian origin, and likely meant the very opposite of
"wanting all good and necessary things." Furthermore,
the Rev. J. H. Dubbs, in his "History of the Lehigh Val-
ley" (p. 304), compares "Allemaengel" with "Egypt," as
a section of country at the southern slope of the Blue
Mountains known for its fertility. It is a fact established
by research on the part of our subject that the earliest
Church Record and Constitution of the New Bethel Luth-
eran and Reformed Church located in this very "corner"
of Albany township names the community as "Das Rosen-
thal," that is, "The Valley of Roses," and hence instead
of being "sterile" it was a land "flowing with milk and
honey." Besides, why would a barren country attract new
settlers? The New Bethel Church Record dates back
to 1761, and John George Stump must then have lived
for some time in that community. At any rate, he was
one of the earliest members, if not founders, of that
church. It is also a matter of record in the "Halle Re-
ports" that the Rev. Pastor Schaum, an associate and co-
worker with the Rev. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, D. D.,
was married on Aug. 7, 1753, to a Miss "Maria Dorothea
Stumpf," who may have been a near relative, for the



420



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



n?,me in the Albany Church Record is found sometimes
with an "f,'' or a second "p" added.

It is altogether possible that John George Stump heard
the pioneer pastor Muhlenberg preach ; for it is reported
in the hitter's "Diary" that he visited '•Allemaengel"
Church in March. 1747, which at that time must have been
the "Red Church" near Wessnersville, to which church
the settlers of West "Corner" Albany resorted until the
establishment of the New Bethel congregation in 1761
fourteen years later. Be that as it may, certain it is that
the pioneer Stump secured a large tract on the west
side of Round Top Mountain in Albany, the farm at pres-
ent owned by James S. Focht, who successfully operates
a lucrative red paint mine near Greenawalt's Station along
the Berks & Lehigh Branch of the Reading Railway, being
a part of the original grant and the once Stump home-
stead.

When the subject of our sketch was a boy of about
twelve years the late Amos Trexler, who then conducted
a tannery on these same premises, pointing to an im-
mense willow tree standing close by his pits, said ; "There
stands your great-great-grandfather's riding whip!" Being
asked for an explanation, he said, that when long ago
John George Stump was out on business one day riding on
horseback through Indian trails, he brought home a little
willow whip which he had used to drive his steed, and
which, as he arrived home, he flung into the streamlet
there. The riding whip developed roots and grew into a
mighty tree, standing as a silent witness to future genera-
tions of him who thus inadvertently planted it. destined to
be a more enduring monument to his memory than the soft
sandy tombstones quarried on his own lands for his own
sepulture in the New Bethel cemetery.

The next in line of kinship was John Stump, who
seems to have moved farther south. His remains lie
buried at the Dunkel's Church in Greenwich township.
The third was Samuel Stump, born Oct. 16, 1794, and died
March 4, 1864. He was married to Miss Rachel Leiby,
born April 15, 1801, died ]\Iarch 22, 1875. Both are buried
at the Friedens Church of Lenhartsville, which they
helped to erect. They lived on the southwest side of
Round Top Mountain, where our subject was born. They
were the parents of the following children : Nathan, of
near Klinesville : Joel, of Liscum ; Peter, of Lenhartsville ;
Moses, Aaron, Samuel and Gideon, all deceased; Mary,
widow of Isaac .Aliller, of Oklahoma; Elizabeth, of Kemp-
ton, widovv' of Nathan Dietrich, who died on the old
George Yenser homestead in Albany; and Catharine, the
youngest daughter and mother of our subject.

While growing up the Rev. ^Mr. Bond learned the shoe-
maker's trade before the days of shoe factories, when there
was a great demand for hand-made shoes. Early he
learned to wield the hammer and ply the awl. He con-
tinued to work at his father's trade till his eighteenth
year, when his parents "gave him free" out of kindness to
allow him an opportunity to prepare for the Gospel min-
istry, as in fact they did all their surviving six sons
ar,d three daughters. He began for himself as many min-
isters here and elsewhere have done. In a newspaper
article concerning Mr. Bond and his work which ap-
peared in a Berks county paper not long ago it was said:
"For many years the teaching profession in Berks county
has been a stepping-stone to the ministry, and ninety per
cent of the ministers of this county of all denominations
have been public school teacliers before they took up the
preaching of the Gospel. One of these prominent teach-
ers, who gave up school life for the pulpit, was Rev. Wil-
liam Franklin Bond, of Shamrock."

He obtained his common school education in the Zettle-
meyer's school, near Lenhartsville, which place has lately
been selected as a health resort by Banker Eckert of Read-
ing, where the financier has erected a beautiful and well
equipped summer home. The school was from 1867 to
ls7ti under the instruction of Charles Christ, Peter Nagle,
Percival Christman, Frank Kaufman, each for one vear,
>Ioses S. Greenawalt for seven years, and George W.
Ziegler. M. D.. now in Philadelphia, for one vear. The
adjoining school in .Albany township taught by .Amos S.



Greenawalt, being more advanced, was attended for one
term. Country schools then were only open five months in a
year, of which a month and more on an average was
omitted in fall on account of the busy harvest season
in the family trade.

In the fall of 1880 he attended seven weeks select school
at Heinley's in Albany, taught by the now sainted mission-
ary, the Rev. Frank S. Dietrich, then a student in the
Theological Seminary in Philadelphia. Our subject
taught four terms : one under Supt. Samuel A. Baer, the
Miller-Clauser school in Albany, in 1880-81; and three
under Supt. David S. Keck — the Waganian's or Independ-
ent district school in Greenwich, 1881-82; the Lenharts-
ville school, 1882-83, just before that town incorporated
into a borough, and when seventy-two pupils were enrolled
and sixty averaged during the term; and the Neff's school
in Maxatawny township, 1883-84. Between public school
terms he attended the spring and fall sessions at the Key-
stone State Normal School, at Kutztown, from 1881-84.
He entered Muhlenberg College, at AUentown, in 1884,
and graduated in 1888. While at college he was a
member of the Euterpean Literary Society, which elected
him to the associate editorship of ''The Muhlenberg" in
1888. At the end of the Sophomore year he received a
$15 prize for a contest essay entitled "The Physical Basis
of Musical Sound"; also the Junior oratorical prize of
$25 in 1887, and honorable mention for standing in class
at graduation. He entered the Theological Seminary of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Philadelphia in 1888,
and graduated in May, 1891. He was ordained to the
office of the ministry in the Lutheran Church by the Min-
isterium of Pennsylvania in Emanuel's Church at Potts-
town, Pa., Alay 26, 1891, and immediately thereafter became
pastor of the Lutheran Church at Tower Citv, Schuvikill
Co., Pa.

Mr. Bond was married to Miss Amy H. Brehm, orig-
inally of Lancaster county, later of .-Vllentown, whose



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 108 of 227)