Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 109 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 109 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


parents — Philip Wineland and. Barbara (Hamaker) Brehm
— are still living in Chambersburg, Pa., Oct. 1. 1891. This
union was blessed with two sons and two daughters,
Paul, John, Mary and Anna, all of whom survive. Their
mother died of blood poisoning July 30, 1901, aged thirty-
six years. Her remains rest in the Zion's Lutheran and
Reformed cemetery in Tower City, Pennsylvania.

During his first pastorate of over thirteen vears a debt
resting upon St. Paul's Church of Tower City was paid,
a new and commodious parsonage was erected and St.
Peter's Church at Orwin, Pa., was renovated. While at
Tower City he was secretary of the Pottsville Conference
of the Pennsylvania Ministerium for some seven years.
In August, 1904, he received a call to the Bowers-Long-
swamp Parish, consisting of four thriving congregations
in southeastern Berks which he accepted when Rev. M. C.
Horine, D, D., was President of the Svnod, and Rev. E.
T. Horn, D. D., LL. D.. was President of the Reading Con-
ference, to which the parish belongs. He was installed
Nov. 27, 1904, at the Huff's Church in Hereford township.
Rev. F. K. Bernd, now President of the Reading Con-
ference, and Rev. John H. Raker, the second superintend-
ent of the Lutheran Orphans' Home, at Topton, Pa., con-
ducting the installation services.

To quote again from the newspaper article mentioned,
Mr. Bond has since "answered the manv calls to minis-
terial duties of four thriving Berks " county congre-
S^tions one of the largest Berks county

charges of the Lutheran denomination, consisting of
Bowers, Longswamp, New Jerusalem and Huff's Churches,
which for thn-ty years had been serx'ed by Rev. D K
Humbert. ^ This is one of the charges in Berks county
where a minister must be of the most strenuous type. The
congregations are widely scattered in the mountainous sec-
tions, and they have a membership of several thousand.

"Ill a ser\ice of seventeen vears Rev. Bond preached
over 2.600 sermons, baptized nearlv 1,200 children, con-
firmed 700 members, wedded over 200 couples and con-
ducted nearly 500 funerals, besides making hundreds of
addresses at public gatherings and collecting thousands
of dollars for benevolent and church purposes."



BIOGRAPHICAL



421



Mr. Bond was married again, on Oct. 30, 1904, in Tower
City, Pa., to Mrs. Katie Eva Snyder, a daughter of the
late Philip Krebs and wife Sarah (Grumbein), originally
of Lebanon county. Her mother still survives in Tower
City, Pa. Mr. Bond with his family now resides in the
Uriah Biery homestead at Shamrock, Longswamp town-
ship, this county.

Having been in humble circumstances, Mr. Bond received
aid from the Ministerium of . Pennsylvania through the
recommendation of his pastor, the late Rev. B. S. Smoll,
and the Rev. F. J. F. Schantz, D. D., chairman of the then
executive committee, to complete his collegiate and theo-
logical training, which aid, out of gratitude and love, and
from a sense of bounden duty, he has by strenuous ef-
forts returned, that the same might be used again and
again to help worthy young men to prepare for the Gospel
Ministry. His beloved parents, to whom he owes a never-
to-be-paid debt of gratitude, are still living at Lenharts-
ville, nearing the seventieth milestone in their toilsome
pilgrimage of life.

FISHER. The Fisher family is traced as far back
as (I) Henry Fisher, the great-grandfather of Daniel D.
Fisher, of Oley township. He was born in Heidelberg
township, Berks county, but came to Oley township when a
young man and took up some 337 acres of fertile land
one mile north of the "Yellow House," most of which land
has been in the possession of the family ever since. He
was a man of great common sense and when he put up his
home in 1801, he built it so substantially that it still
stands as a comfortable shelter for his great-great-grand-
children. He is buried in Huntingdon county, his death
occurring while on a visit there. His daughter Polly
had married Henry S. Spang, of Huntingdon, and he
had gone to pay her a visit, but he was advanced in years
and the trip proved too much for him. Ofl Jan. 1, 1781, he
married Susanna Ruth, also of Heidelberg township, born
Oct. 29, 1761, daughter of Christian Ruth. After forty
years, four months and eleven days of married life, she
died May 13, 1821, aged fifty-nine years, six months and
thirteen days. She was the first to be buried in the then
newly acquired burial plot of the Oky Churches. Th^se
children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Fisher : John,
of Oley, but later of Hereford township; Samuel of Oley
township ; Daniel, of Oley township ; Henry, of Oley, who
left home and as his whereabouts could not be traced,
was given up as lost; Sally Ann, married to Jacob V. R.
Hunter, of Reading, who operated Sally Ann Furnace, of
Rockland township, Berks county (named after Mrs.
Hunter), which furnace was discontinued in 1869; and
Polly, married to Henry S. Spang, also one of the pioneer
iron-masters of Pennsylvania, who operated the Etna
Works, of Huntingdon, Pennsylvania.

(H) Daniel Fisher, grandfather of Daniel D., was a
native of Oley township, born on the Fisher homestead
June 23, 1795, and died July 16, 1839. He was a farmer
and prospered in his work. He attended the Philadelphia
market twice a week during fall and winter in a big
wagon, and was an excellent teamster. His wife, Mary
Gernand, daughter of George Gernand, of Spring town-
ship, was born March 4, 1803, and died J.an. 27, 1878. They
are both buried at Oley Cemetery. Their children were:
John G. ; E. Matilda m. Abner Griesemer, of Oley town-
sffip; Hannah (unmarried) ; Sarah m. Frank C. Butz; and
Deborah G. and B. Amelia (unmarried).

Miss B. Amelia Fisher was born on the Fisher home-
stead Sept. 2, 1839, and has always lived here, now making
her home with her nephew, Daniel D. Fisher. She is an
intelligent lady and can speak both English and German.
She is a great reader, preferring historical works; and
she is also very fond of flowers. Possessing bountiful
means, she is very charitable, and has many warm personal
friends who admire her many talents and her pleasant
manner.

(HI) John G. Fisher, son of Daniel and Mary (Ger-
nand), was born June 22, 1834, and died July 1, 1887, aged
sixty-three years and nine days. He is buried at Oley
cemetery. His wife was Mary Ann Davidheiser, born



Feb. 23, 1835, died Feb. 28, 1893. They were the parents
of the following children: Emma L., deceased; Daniel D. ;
Henry G., deceased ; and Ella, of Philadelphia. John G.
Fisher was a life-long farmer of Oley township, residing
upon the homestead. He was a man of enterprise and
intelligence. He possessed a retentive memory and was
a well-read man, sharing many of his sister's characteristics.

(IV) Daniel D. Fisher was born on his great-grand-
father's homestead one mile north of the "Yellow House,"
Aug. 2, 1860. He was brought up on the farm and was edu-
cated in the public schools and the Oley Academy. When
only sixteen years of age he was licensed to teach, by Prof.
Samuel A. Baer, then county superintendent, and taught
his first term in Earl township, and the following six
tertns in Oley township. In 1883 he engaged in the huck-
ster — produce, butter and egg — business. Six years later he
bought the Fisher homestead, consisting of 150 acres of
some of the best land in the Oley valley. Since then he
has added to his number of acres, and now has 156 acres.
The house on the farm, as before mentioned, was built by
his great-grandfather Henry Fisher. The masonry of
this house is beautiful, the stones nearly all being rect-
angular shaped, and the plaster is of the very best. The
present barn was built by John G. Fisher in 1862.

Mr. Fisher is a Democrat, and has served his township
as school director for the past fifteen years. He was
auditor of Oley township, when but twenty-three years
old, and held the position for three years. He was com-
mitteeman of Oley township many years, has served as
delegate to mlany conventions, town, county, and also
State, was secretary of the County Standing Committee
for three years, and has been in every way prominent
and public-spirited. Mr. jFisher and family are members
of Salem Reformed Church in Oley, of which he was
deacon for four years, and he has been trustee for many
years of this congregation. In addition to his other
interests Mr. Fisher is a director of the Farmers' National
Bank of Boyertown, holding that office since 1897. He was
one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Oley,
and became its first treasurer and is a stockholder of the
Yellow House Creamery Association, as well as its treas-
urer. He is a member of the Berks Cocinty Historical So-
ciety, and is a man well posted on national and local
history.

In 1880, Mr. Fisher married Olivia B. Herbein, daughter
of Albraham and Eliza (Brumbach) Herbein, of Oley town-
ship. The following children have been born to Mr. and
Mrs. Fisher : John, a graduate of the Keystone State Nor-
mal School, class of 1902, married Verna Spohn, and has
two children. Otto and Marjorie; James H., a farmer of
Oley, married Hannah Strunk, and has a daughter, Erma;
Ella married Lawrence Matthias, of Earl township, and
has a son, Russel (they reside with Mr. Fisher) ; Nevin
D. and Daniel W. are unmarried and residing at home;
Mary Eliza died in 1885; Henry Wayne died in 1890;
and twins died in infancy.

Mr. Fisher is one of the most prominent men of Oley
township, and his public spirit and progressiveness have
placed him before the people of his locality upon many
occasions.

JOHN B. DAMPMAN was born in .Chester county. Pa.,
July 39, 1851. He is the son of Jacob and Catharine
(Buchanan) Dampman, being descended both on his
father's and mother'.^ side from the early settlers of
Chester county. ^

Mr. Dampman was educated in the common schools
of Chester county, was a student in New England
schools, and afterward graduated from Pennington (N. J.)
Seminary. He taught school in both Chester and Berks
counties, and in 1873 entered the office of George F. Baer,
as a student at law, being admitted to the Bar of Berks
county in 1875. He engaged in the practice of his pro-
fession for six years, and in 1881 became the founder of
the Reading Herald, continuing as its editor and propri-
etor for fifteen years, during which time he made it a
newspaper of considerable force in the community. In
1896 he sold the Herald to William McCormick and went



423



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY. PENNSYLVANIA



upon the staflf of the Pittsburg Times, as editorial writer
and literary editor. He remained there for upward of
five years, during which time he became a prominent and
well-known figure in Pittsburg journalism.

In 1901 he resigned from the Times, and returning to
Reading took up the profession of advertising, in which
he has had considerable success, especially in the line of
bank advertising and in political advertising, though he
has been busily employed also in mercantile commissions.
In the political line he has conducted many important
campaigns, one of which was the notable contest which
resulted in the formation of Greater Pittsburg.

Mr. Dampman was one of the founders of the Reading
Press Club and has taken a prominent part in newspaper
organizations, having been for two terms a member o-f the
governing board of the International League of Press
Clubs, of which he was one of the founders. He was
also an officer of the Pittsburg Press Club and repre-
sented that organization at several national conventions.

Mr. Dampman married in 1879 Miss Annie L. Frees, of
Reading, and has one son, Lieutenant Paul E. Dampman,
of the United States navy, who graduated from the Naval
Academy at Annapolis in 1904, and has since seen service
in various parts of the world.

DANIEL H. DEETER, master mechanic of the Phila-
delphia & Reading Railway Company, is a native son of
Reading, Berks county, born in 1863. His father, Henry
Deeter, was with this company for forty-seven years, the
services of father and son covering the remarkably long
period of sixty-five years.

Henry Deeter died Sept. 28, 1887, at the age of fifty-nine
years, eleven months, after a successful career as a rail-
road man. When only a boy of thirteen he became loco-
motive fireman for Timothy Jackson, and at the early age
of sixteen was made a locomotive engineer. He continued
in that capacity, serving also as wreck master and engine-
man for the company until the close of his life. Mr.
Deeter married Lavinia Holl, and to them were born six
children, namely: Emma (m. William Noll); Henry H.,
who is foreman in the Port Richmond shops of the Phil-
adelphia & Reading Railway Company, Philadelphia; An-
nie (m. J. W. Bennethum) ; Isaac L., a machinist; Miss
Mary E., who is living in Philadelphia; and Daniel H.
The father of this family was a member of the Reformed
Church. For thirty-eight years he belonged to the I. O.
O. F.

Daniel H. Deeter was educated in the Reading public
schools and private institutions. He took up the study
of mechanical drawing under Rosell E. Frentzel, and later
had private instruction in that line from Superintendents
Good and Kemmerer of the Philadelphia & Reading shops,
serving his time as a machinist, as well as in drafting, in
the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Company. All
of his working years have been passed in the employ of
this concern. He left the office to acquire practical
experience in the care and operation of a locomotive, serv-
ing as fireman, engineer, wreck master, round house fore-
man, assistant road foreman of engines, road foreman of
engines and on July 16, 1900, he became master mechanic
of the Philadelphia and New York division of the road. On
Nov. 1, 1904, he was raised to his present position, that
of master mechanic at the Philadelphia & Reading loco-
motive shops in Reading. Here he has 2,500 men under
his supervision, and some idea of the volume of work
done in the vast establishment may be gained from the
statement that an average of ninety locomotives is turned
out monthly — new, repaired and rebuilt.

Mr. Deeter has devoted his entire life to acquiring profic-
iency in his chosen calling. Pie has never spared himself in
adding to his general knowledge by study or research, and
has not only kept abreast of modern times and methods
but has been the leader in many of the most progressive
movements of his day in his line. The position he holds
is sufficient evidence of his ability, and of his right to be
classed among the foremost men of the present time in
his branch of mechanics. His practical experience in his
work has been most comprehensive. Mr. Deeter is a self-



made man in the truest sense. He has acquired his po-
sition and the knowledge which enables him to hold it by
unceasing efforts, begun in early life, and never relaxed
under the many demands made upon his strength and time.
His attainments are noteworthy, and have gained him
the respect and admiration of all the men with whom he
has been brought into contact. Mr. Deeter is a member
of Lodge No. 62, F. & A. M. ; Reading; Lodge of Perfec-
tion; Philadelphia Consistory; and Rajah Temple, A. A.
O. N. M. S. He is a member of the Second Reformed
Church, and is independent in politics.

On June 3, 1884, Mr. Deeter married Frances C. Harri-
son, and they had two children; J. Harrison, a graduate
of Haven College, Philadelphia, who died Aug. 35, 1907,
aged eighteen years, six months ; and Evelyn, at school.

ANDREW SCHULTZ, in his lifetime one of the exten-
sive land owners of Berks county, with a comfortable
home near Barto, was born in Hereford township, Berks
county. May 19, 1813, a descendant from an old family
which came to Aimerica from the Kingdom of Saxony.

Melchior Schultz was born June 26, 1680, and he died
Feb. 15, 1734, in the fifty-fourth year of his age, at Berth-
elsdorf. Saxony. His death took place just about two
months before the time set for his emigration to America.
His children were : George, Melchior and Christopher, the
latter of whom became a noted minister.

George Schultz, son of Melchior and brother to Rev.
Christopher, married, Jan. 31, 1744. Maria, daughter of
Abraham Yeakel, and they made their home in Upper
Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pa. Their children
were: Abraham, born March 23,' 1747; and Melchior, born
March 25, 1756. George Schultz died Oct. 30, 1776, aged
sixty-five years, and his wife Maria passed away Dec. 13,
1797, at the age of seventy-nine years.

Abraham Schultz, son of George and Maria, was born
in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county,
March 23, 1747. He was a great lover of books and, hav-
ing a retentive memory and comprehensive mind, he be-
came one of the best educated men of the time. He was
a member of the Schwenkfelder religious society, and he
served it in the capacity of trustee, school inspector,
teacher and catechist. The community frequently called
his services into requisition as scrivener and counsellor.
In 1796 he was elected a member of the General Assem-
bly from Montgomery county. He died on Dec. 25, 1822.
In 1771 he married Regina Yeakle, daughter of Chris-
topher Yeakle, and their children were : Benjamin born
July 20, 1772, died March 20, 1802; Adam, born Sept. 20,
1775; Isaac, born March 4, 1778; .\braham, born Feb 18
1781, died March 23, 1802; Frederick, born Aug. 10, 1784,
died Dec. 17, 1794; Joseph, born Jan. 22, 1787; and Mel-
chior, born June 23, 1789.

Adam Schultz, son of Abraham, was born Sept. 20, 1775,
in Upper Hanover township, and died Aug. 30, 1831. He
lived at Treichlersville, in Hereford township, where
he was engaged in farming, owning a fine farm of 140 acres
there and one of 214 acres in Washington township. He
was very successful in his undertakings, and became very
well-to-do. On May 21, 1801, he married Regina Kriebel
who was born June 25, 1780, and who died May 3 185s'
Their children were: Abraham, born April 12, 1803 died
Dec. 5, 1814; Israel, born June 4, 1805; Jesse, born April
8, 1808 died Nov. 7, 1831; Adam, born Sept. 21, 1810
died Nov. 12, 1831; Andrew, born May 19, 1813; Enoch
born March 31, 1816 ; Sarah, born Sept. 1, 1818, died May
11, 1820; Regina, born Oct. 9, 1821; Solomon, born Nov.
19, 1824, died June 4, 1854.

_ Andrew Schultz, the subject proper of this sketch, was
in his early life a farmer at Treichlersville. He was a
man of much enterprise and became quite wealthy He
owned three farms lying adjacent to each other, three-
quarters of a mile Southeast of Barto. The tract orig-
inally contained 214 acres, but this he divided into three
parts, erecting three sets of buildings. He also owned a
farm of seventy-seven acres in Washington township He
built a grist mill in Montgomerv county, which is now
owned by William Himmelwreight. He built himself a



BIOGRAPHICAL



433



large three-story brick residence near Barto, and there
he died Nov. 27, 1885. He is buried at the Schwenkfelders
church near Clayton. He married Sarah Mohr, who was
born Sept. 1, 1818, daughter of Andrew and Catherine
Ann (Mechling) Mohr, of Centreville, Lehigh Co., Pa.,
and she died May 1, 1883. Their children were : Annie,
who died young ; Emma, who died aged thirty-two years ;
Mary A. M. ; and Harrison, who died aged twenty-three
years.

Miss Mary A. M. Schultz, daughter of Andrew, is
now residing at the old home near Barto. She was edu-
cated-in the -^public schools and at the Pottstown Seminary
for Ladies, and was licensed to teach by the late James
N. Ermentrout, teaching one terra at Barto in a school-
house long since torn down. She is a member of the
Schwenkfelders Church near Clayton, in Hereford town-
ship. Miss Schultz is a charming woman and is very
artistic. She has a valuable collection of rare china and
books.

ALBERT RITTER, who has been known to the citizens
of Reading for nearly half a century as a professional mu-
sician, was born in that city Feb. 26, 1838, son of Joel and
Angeline (Bechtel) Ritter, and member of a family long
known in Eastern Pennsylvania.

The Ritters are of German descent. The first American
.ancestor was one of the early settlers of Oley (or Exeter)
township, and his descendants have lived in that locality
for a period of one hundred and fifty or more years.

Francis Ritter was born in Exeter township, where he
carried on farming successfully all his life. On Jan. 3,
1797, when Der Reading Adler was established, he pur-
chased an interest in same, and put his son John in the
office to learn the printing and publishing business. He
was the father of seven children, namely: Daniel, born in
1776, married Susanna Snyder, and died in 1853 ; John
is mentioned below; Jacob; Samuel, born April 3, 1792,
.m. Catharine Kast, and died Sept. 8, 1860; Mrs. Charles
Kessler ; Mrs. Nicholas Seidel ; and Mrs. Samuel Christian.

Hon. John Ritter, son of Francis, was born in Exeter
township, Feb. 6, 1779. He was reared upon a farm, and
at the age of eighteen went to Reading and entered
the Adler office to learn the printer's trade. He
devoted himself to study to make up for lack of early
advantages. He continued with the Adler office, and on
June 29, 1802, became the owner of a half interest in the
plant. He was prominent in public affairs, and during
President James K. Polk's administration served (1843-
47) as a member of Congress. He was a loyal Democrat
and a strong party man. Mr. Ritter died Nov. 24, 1851,
aged seventy-two years, and his wife Catharine (Frailey)
Ritter, in 1863, aged eighty years. Mr. and Mrs. Ritter
were the parents .of nineteen children, all of whom are
buried in the Charles Evans cemetery, having been form-
erly interred, however, in the old Reformed Church cem-
etery at the corner of Washington and Reed streets. All
of these children, with the exception of three, died be-
fore reaching their majority. The three reaching mature
years were: Joel; Louis, born April 3, 1813, who obtained
the Adler from his father and was its proprietor for
many years, and who died Oct. 16, 1889; and Aaron, born
April 15, 1816, also a printer connected with the Adler,
who died at No. 232 Penn street, Reading, Nov. 11, 1873. •
The family were originally members of the Reformed
Church, but later became Universalists, Mr. Ritter donat-
ing the plot of ground on which the Universalist church
now stands. Mr. Ritter was a man of high principles and
was widely known for his great part in advancing the in-
terests of the city of Reading.

Joel Ritter, son of Hon. John, was born in Reading
Dec. 15, 1811, and was educated in Reading Academy.
He, too, was a printer by trade, learning this and gaining
the knowledge of how a journal should be conducted in
his father's office. . He then became editor of the
■ Jeiferson Democrat, and continued as such some time. He
next embarked in the lumber business in Reading, locating
in the lower part of the town, where he continued until
1850, when a freshet greatly damaged his property, and



he abandoned the business. He was always interested in
politics as a firm believer in Democratic principles, and
from 1839 to 1842 served as prothonotary of Berks county.
During President Buchanan's administration he held a
position in the United States Customs Department at Phil-
adelphia. For several years prior to his death Mr. Ritter
was an invalid, and he passed away July 18, 1868, aged
fifty-six years. He was twice married, his first wife, An-
geline Bechtel, dying in 1840, when twenty-six years of
age, and leaving two sons, John Francis and Albert. He
married (second) Miss Barbara A. Roland, and to this
union were born : Anna and Francis, who both died in
infancy; Henry, who was assistant city treasurer and died
in 1899; and Ida, who resides at No. 325 Washington
street, Reading. Mr. Ritter was past master of Lodge
No. 62, F. & A. M.; was exalted a Royal Arch Mason
in 1841 ; and made a Knight Templar in St John's Com-
mandery in Philadelphia in 1848.

John Francis Ritter was born Jan. 24, 1836. He received
his education in Boyertown Academy, and was appointed
to the West Point Military Academy July 1, 1852, graduat-
ing therefrom July 1, 1856, at which latter date he was
appointed second lieutenant, 5th United States Infantry.
He served in Florida against the Seminole Indians, 1856-
57; in garrison at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., in 1857; fron-
tier duty in the Utah Expedition, 1857-60. Mr. Ritter's
army record continues as follows : March to New Mexico,
1860; Fort Fauntleroy, N. M., 1860; Fort Dodge, N. M.,
1860-61; Fort Union, N. M., 1861; promoted first lieu-



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 109 of 227)