Morton L. (Morton Luther) Montgomery.

Historical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. online

. (page 114 of 227)
Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 114 of 227)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Fisher, daughter of John Fisher, of Oley township, was
born in 1818, and died in 1893. Their children were : Mary
Ann, who married John Carey; Jonathan; Caroline, who
married David Berkenstock; Henry F. ; James, who died
young; Adeline, who married Adolph Ranck; Ellen, who
married Henry Smith; Franklin, who married Amanda
Koch; Mahlon, who married Ellen Fisher; Catherine, who
married Lewis Spiece ; Hannah, who married Charles
Simpler; and Sarah, who died young.

Henry F. Printzenhoff was educated in the schools of
Kutztown, and learned the trade of carpenter, which he
followed until 1869, when he went to Philadelphia, en-
gaging in bridge-building in the employ of the Philadelphia
Bridge Company until 1890. He then entered into part-
nership with William J. Armstrong, and did business
under the name of Armstrong & Printzenhoff, for the con-
struction of bridges and other contra,ct work. His firm put
up bridges on numerous railroads, including the Jersey
Southern & Pine Creek, the Wilmington & Northern, and
the Shenandoah Valley; and immediately after the Johns-
town flood this firm had the first construction party there,
with 372 men, for the purpose of re-constructing bridges,
large buildings, etc. They also constructed the wharves at
Philadelphia, along the Delaware avenue front, from Race
street to South street, for which they received high praise.
During his work in the vicinity of Hamburg Mr. Printzen-
hoff was attracted by the beauty of the village and de-^
cided to make it his home. He erected a superior dwell-
ing-house and purchased several farms near-by, aggregat-
ing over 200 acres, and these farms he is operating suc-
cessfully, making a specialty of poultry. When the citizens
of Hamburg were discussing the question of introducing
improved lighting for the public streets and private dwell-
ings he encouraged the matter greatly, and assisted mater-
ially in establishing the Hamburg Gas Company, of which
he has officiated as president since its organization, in
1904.

RICHARD RICHARDS, formerly chief burgess of Boy-
ertown and superintendent at present of the Boyertown
Ore Company, an important enterprise of this place, was
born Jan. 24, 1832, in Cornwall, England, son of Richard
and Elizabeth (Tremyn) Richards, both natives of Corn-
wall.

Richard Richards, the father, was born in 1800, and
died aged seventy years. He followed mining as his
business. His wife died when his son Richard was eight
years old. Their children were: Margaret, Elizabeth,
Thomas, Frances, Richard, William, Benjamin and Mary
Jane. The name of Richards . is not an unusual one in
England, and on the same vessel crossing the Atlantic
Ocean, which brought the present Richard Richards to
America, was another passenger, named Simon Richards,
also of Cornwall. The two men of the same name became ■
acquainted and discussed their possible relationship, but
did not establish their kinship. Simon Richards settled
in Cumru township, Berks county, where he acquired a
small farm, but for many years he has been at rest in the
graveyard at Yocom's Church. He reared a family and his
son James became supervisor of Cumru township", and his
numerous children still reside there or in Reading.

Richard Richards, of Boyertown, is a man of large ex-
perience in mining and he was only eight years old when,
he began work in the tin mines of Cornwall. He was only
sixteen when he went down into some of the deepest mines,
even to the depth of 600 feet. In the spring of 1853,
hoping to better his fortunes, he started to America, land-
ing at old Castle Garden, New York. During the first
year he lived at Phoenixville, Pa., but in 1854 he came to



■136



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



Berks county and secured employment in the Moselem iron
ore mine, where he continued until April, 1835, when he
went to Tamaqua and found work in the coal mines in
Schuylkill, and later in Luzerne county. In the fall of
that year he came to Boyerto.wn and here he has remained
ever since, as time passed becoming closer and closer
identified with the interests of this borough, and each year
adding to his material possessions and advancing in the
esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens.

Mr. Richards worked first for the Phoenix Iron Com-
pany, and was continuously in their employ for forty-s.even
years, beginning as an ordinary miner and being advanced
rapidly. Since 1861 he has been superintendent of that
great corporation. He has a complete and comprehensive
knowledge of the mining industry and has lived to see
wonderful changes in his day in methods and results. The
Boyertown Ore Company, a consolidation of the
different ore companies at this place, closed mining in
March, 1907, and since then Mr. Richards looks after the
properties and cares for the buildings. Despite his long
life of hard work, both physical and mental, Mr. Richards
retains his strength and healthful appearance. He is known
for his kindness of heart, and this quality is revealed
in his countenance.

Mr. Richards has been married twice. On Sept. 10,
1857, he married (first) Lavina Boyer, daughter of Daniel
Boyer, who, with his brother Henry, founded Boyertown.
Mrs. Richards was born in 1825 and died in 1881, and was
buried in Fairview Cemetery. They had one daughter,
Mary (m. Thomas Clark, a native of Cornwall, England,
who is connected with the Walter Sanitarium at Werners-
ville, Berks county). Mr. Richards m. (second), Dec. 24,
1890, Sallie B. Shuler, born July 5, 1857, died Dec. 28,
1890. He is a member of the M. E. Church and was one
of its organizers at Boyertown, one of the first trustees
<and a steward for nearly a half century. In his fraternal
relations, he belongs to the Brotherhood of the Union ;
Knights of the Mystic Chain; Madison Lodge, I. O. O. P.,
at Pottstown ; Stichter Lodge, No. 254, F. & A. M., Potts-
town ; Phoenix Chapter, No. 198, R. A. M., Phoenixville;
and Palestine Council, No. 8, R. & S. M., Phoenixville.

In his political views Mr. Richards has always been a
Republican, and has been honored by election to office in
a normally Democratic town, for years serving as a mem-
ber of the town council, and in the eighties as chief bur-
gess. On many occasions he has attended conventions of
his party as a delegate. Above all he is a good citizen and
has many times shown that he has the best interests of the
place at heart.

EDWIN R. GERBER is a .son of Levi R. and Chesta
(Hartman) Gerber, and his early ancestors were some of
the first inhabitants of Reading. He was born at Reading
Nov. 30, 1856, and was educated there in the common
schools and the Keystone State Normal at Kutztown.
Upon quitting school he learned printing and turned his
attention to reporting on the Reading Daily News. In
1887 he became prominently connected with the Reading
Telegram as one of the founders, and he continued with
this daily newspaper until 1905, when he was obliged to
discontinue his active services on account of having be-
come mayor of the city, to which position he had been
elected at the spring election of that year on the Demo-
cratic ticket. His activity, ability and sterling qualities
for a number of years in the city had won the respect
and confidence of his political associates, and his advocacy
of municipal improvements had been so earnest and suc-
cessful that his elevation to the office of mayor was quite
natural.

Mr. Gerber served very efficiently as secretary of the
Board of Trade for five years from 1900 to 1905, and as
president of the Board of Public Works for four years
from 1901 to 1905. Pie was re-elected for another term
in both positions, but he was obliged to resign on account
of his duties as mayor so as to devote all his attention to
the office. I-Ie has been a very active member of the
Americus Club, the Elks, and the Press Club. Mr. Gerber
is president of the General Light Company of New Jersey,



engaged in the manufacture of acetylene gas mnchines, and
is secretary and treasurer of the Langer & Gerber En-
graving Company of Reading. His more active duties are
as business manager of the Reading Telegram. He has
ever been much interested in public charities, and is now a
member of the local board acting with the State Board
of Charities.

Mr. Gerber was married June 7, 1881, to Lizzie J. Drase,
daughter of Jacob H. Drase, of Reading. They have two
children : Viola, and Howard, the latter a chemist in the
city laboratory. They are members of the Trinity Luth-
eran Church.

D. W. STEHMAN, formerly a prominent business
man of Reading, particularly identified with banking in-
terests, was born in 1837, at Middletown, Dauphin Co.,
Pa., where he was reared and liberally educated.

From 1869 to 1887 Mr. Stehman was cashier of the
Middletown National Bank. For many years he was
treasurer of the borough, was a member of the Middletown
Market Company, and of the cemetery association, served
on the town council and held many positions of trust and
responsibility at that place. In 1887 Mr. Stehman came
to Reading and accepted the position of secretary of the
Pennsylvania Trust Company, which was unanimously ten-
dered by the board of directors, to which position he was
re-elected in 1888, and made also assistant to the treas-
urer, H. T. Kendall. In 1892 he succeeded Mr. Kendall as
treasurer, and held this position until his death. He was
a man of acknowledged business ability and of the highest
integrity. His loss was deeply felt by the company with
which he had been identified for so many years, and at a
meeting of the board of directors of the Pennsylvania
Trust Company, held Feb. 9, 1904, the following resolu-
tions were adopted : Resolved, That we make this record
of the feelings of the board of directors upon the deeply
regretted death of our late trust officer and treasurer, D.
W. Stehman, and this is followed by a statement which
showed the great trust and confidence reposed in him bv
his fellow ofl5cials, as well as testimonials to the persona'l
esteem in which he was held by them.

Mr. Stehman was a member of the First Presbyterian
Church, of which he had been treasurer for a number of
years. He was notably charitable, liberally contributing
to benevolent enterprises. His death was a distinct loss to
Reading.

In 1874 Mr. Stehman married Mary Van Reed, daughter
of John and Amelia (Addams) Van Reed. Two children
survive, John V. R. and Edith A.

CHARLES S. FOOS. The city of Reading takes justi-
fiable pride m the high status of its public school system,
and the prestige gained along this important educational
hne has been to a large degree due to the able and un-
tirmg efforts of the present superintendent, Charles S.
Foos, whose popularity is of the most unequivocal order.
He is prominent in educational circles in the State and
nation, and is thoroughly en rapport with his work.

George Foos, the father of Charles S., was born in-
Reading, son of George Foos, Sr., a prominent contractor
and an organizer of the first school board of Reading, and
for many years also a member of the city councils. George
Foos, father of Charles S., attended the public schools
and later learned the carpenter's trade as an apprentice to
his father. At the opening of the Civil war he enlisted
and served his term. On his return to Reading he entered
into partnership with his father and conducted a large
contracting and building business, with offices in the old
Foos carpenter shop, on Reed, near Washington, street.
The building was in the possession of the Foos family
for nearly one hundred years, and has been sold but lately.
Mr. Foos was interested in all public affairs and served
on the school board from 1887 to 1893, representing the
Eighth ward. He was instrumental in the enlargement of
the Poplar street building, and also advocated the erection
of the Girls' high school, and that the location be at
Eleventh and Washington streets. He cast his first vote
for Lincoln, in 1860, and never missed an election, being



BIOGRAPHICAL



437



a stanch Republican. He was twice married, his first
wife being Catherine, a daughter of the late Benjamin
Schmeck, a prominent farmer of Muhlenberg, and his sec-
ond wife was Lizzie Kochel, who survives him; Beside
his widow there survive three children : Charles S., Mrs.
A. H. Mellinger and Mrs. S. T. Schmehl, all of the city
of Reading. Mr. Foos was a genial, public-spirited man,
and had a host of friends. About ten days before his death,
after a long walk into the country and seemingly in the
best of health, Mr. Foos was stricken with apoplexy, and
lingered in a semi-conscious condition until he passed away
Nov. 4, 1906, aged 68 years, 9 months and 14 days.

Charles S. Foos was born in Reading Dec. 17, 1863,
son of George and Catherine (Schmeck) Foos. He is
indebted to the public schools of his native city for his
early educational discipline, and was graduated from the
Reading high school as a member of the class of 1882.
He was Latin salutatorian of his class, and delivered the
first address of the sort ever given in the school. In
1883 he was graduated from the Hopkins Grammar
School, New Haven, Conn., after which he matriculated at
Yale, from which institution he was obliged to withdraw
by reason of a disordered condition of his eyes. Later,
however, he carried forward his higher educational work,
having completed special courses in Harvard University,
the University of Chicago, and the University of New
York. In 1898 he received the degree of Master of Arts
from Lafayette University. Mr. Foos early identified him-
self with newspaper work, having been a reporter on the
stafi of the Reading Eagle and other Reading papers at
different times. In 1888 he was appointed an instructor and
later principal of Union Academy, Morganfield, Ky. ;
in 1888-89 he was an instructor in Stewart Academy, Read-
ing; in 1889-90 he was principal of the high school at
Orwigsburg, Pa. ; in 1890 he became instructor in English
in the Boys' high school, of Reading, retaining this in-
cumbency until 1899, when he became principal of the
school, which was at that time reorganized upon its pres-
ent amplified basis. In 1902 he withdrew from the pririci-
palship to assume the duties of his present responsible
position of superintendent of the public schools of Read-
ing, in which capacity his work has been admirable in
every respect. He was re-elected by unanimous vote in
1905 and again in 1908, and in 1905 was also granted an
increase in salary without a dissenting vote.

Mr. Foos is a member of the National Federation of
State Educational Associations, of which he was elected
president in 1909; was elected president of the Pennsyl-
vania State Educational Association in 1908 and is a mem-
ber of the executive committee of that Association, and is a
frequent contributor to leading educational periodicals. His
services are much in demand as a public speaker, especially
in conventions of educators and as a commencement
orator, anniversary and post prandial speaker. In this
line of work he is called upon several hundred times each
year, and is always timely and felicitous in his utterances.
He is a member of the board of managers of the Reading
Young Men's Christian Association, is a member of the
First Presbyterian Church, of whose Sunday school he
was superintendent, and he was also a member of the ex-
ecutive committee of the Berks County Sabbath School
Association. He is prominent also in fraternal societies,
especially the Masonic order, and he h?is been a frequent
delegate to national and State bodies of the same. He
is past master of Schuylkill Lodge, No. 138, F. & A. M., of
Orwigsburg; a member of Excelsior Chapter, No. 237,
Royal Arch Masons, of Reading; past commander of Read-
ing Commandery, No. 42, Knights Templar. He is past
regent of Wyomissing Council, No. 1584, Royal Arcanum,
and is affiliated with the Sons of Veterans, and the
Patriotic Order Sons of America, besides holding member-
ship in the Reading Board of Trade, the local Press Club,
and other organizations.

On Nov. 25, 1895, Mr. Foos married Miss Mary Demar-
est, of Paterson, N. J., and they have four children : Irvin
r)emarest, Frances Alice, Charles George and Florence
Demarest.



DR. EDWIN M. HERBST,_ State senator from the
Eleventh District and a prominent physician of many
years of experience, was born in Pikesville, Berks county,
Sept. 10, 1857, son of the late Capt. George S. Herbst, and
his wife, Violetta (Maurer) Herbst.

The early home of the Herbst family was in Altenburg,
Mtaeselwitz, Saxony, where was born Dr. William Herbst,
grandfather of the Senator, Feb. 3, 1804. His literary
education was acquired in the Fatherland, and at the age
of sixteen he emigrated to America. He located in Phila-
delphia, and there under the guidance of a prominent
physician he began the sfudy of medicine, continuing with
him until he graduated from Jeflferson Medical College.
Being now equipped to enter upon the practice of his pro-
fession, he located in that part of Oley which is now
Pike township, and there for forty years devoted himself
to his calling. Not only did he become the leading phy-
sici'an, but he became a prominent, public-spirited citizen,
taking an active and intelligent interest in the affairs of the
community. In politics he was a stanch Democrat, and in
1861 was elected county treasurer, an office he held for a
term of two years. The last two years of his life were
passed in retirement. He died in 1880. He married
Catharine Schall, and their children were : George S. ; Dr.
William; Mary, who married G. A. Hinterleiter ; Hannah,
who married Edmund W. Gilbert ; August, and John S., all
deceased.

Capt. George S. Herbst, son of Dr. William, was born
in Pikesville in 1830, and was educated in the district
schools. His father was the owner of the Rockland Iron
Forge, and when the son reached maturity he was placed
there as manager, in which capacity he was still serving
when the Civil war broke out. He was one of the first
to answer President Lincoln's call, and on April 23, 1861,
he was mustered into the service of his country, becoming
captain of Company D, 7th Pa. V. I., which company was
recruited for the three months service at Pleasantville. At
the end of his term of enlistment, he returned home with
shattered health, and after a lingering illness he passed
away Dec. 26, 1865, at the age of thirty-five. In 1854 he
married Violetta Maurer, daughter of Henry and Susan-
na (Dotterer) Maurer, the former of whom was recorder
of deeds of Berks county, 1842-45, and justice of the
peace for many years, being a leading citizen of the
county for half a century. Capt. and Mrs. Herbst had one
son, Dr. Edwin M. In politics Capt. Herbst was a
Democrat, and in religious belief a Lutheran. His social
connections were with the I. O. F. and O. U. A. M.

Dr. Edwin M. Herbst was prepared for college in the
public schools and the Keystone State Normal School.
Entering Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg he was
graduated therefrom in 1875, with the Latin salutatory.
In the fall of that year he entered Jefferson Medical Col-
lege, Philadelphia, and in the spring of 1878 received his
degree of M. D., with honorable mention for the Henry
C. Lea prize. Since 1880 he has been actively engaged
in caring for the afflicted at Oley, where he has built up
a large and successful practice, and has won a warm place
in the affections of the many he has helped, professionally
or otherwise. His ability, coupled with a frank genial
manner, has inspired the utmost confidence.

Like all his family. Dr. Herbst is a Democrat, and is
actively interested in the success of his party and the
prosperity and well being of his community. From 1889
to 1892 he served as chairman of the county committee,
and for the past twenty years he has been elected Dis-
trict or State delegate to the party's councils. In 1901 he
became State Senator, but a temporary physical disa-
bility impaired his usefulness during the early part of his
term. However, he made his presence known and felt be-
fore the session closed, and in 1903 he was nominated by his
friends for President pro tern., an honor seldom given to
a new member. Early in the session he created a marked
and very favorable impression by his eloquent speech in
favor of the erection of a monument in the Capitol park to
the memory of the Pennsylvania soldiers who fought in
the war of the Rebellion. In 1905 he was again elected^
to the Senate, and served through the special session in~



438



HISTORY OF BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



1906, and in April, 1908, he was again nominated by his
party at the primaries, receiving 400 votes more than his
two next highest competitors in a very spirited contest.
In. November he was elected for his third terra in the
Pennsylvania Senate, being the first senator from Berks
County to obtain this honor thrice. During the term
of 1901 he served on the following committees : Public
Health and Sanitation, Education, Law and Order, Agri-
culture, Congressional Apportionment and Judicial Ap-
portionment; in 1903, on Appropriations, Agriculture, Con-
gressional Apportionment, Public Health and Sanitation,
Pensions and Gratuities and Law and Order ; in 1905 on
Agriculture, Education, Library, Municipal Affairs, Public
Health and Sanitation and Pensions and Gratuities ; at
the special session of 1906 on Agriculture, Appropriations,
Education, Forestry, Library, Military Affairs, Municipal
Affairs and Public Health and Sanitation. His great-
grandfather, George Schall, was a member of the Senate of
Pennsylvania seventy-five years before Dr. Herbst, repre-
senting the same district.

In 1889 he was elected director in the Farmers' National
Bank of Boyertown, and on May 17, 1907, became its
cashier. His connection with the bank has been of great
benefit to that financial institution. From 1891 to 1893
he was lazaretto physician of the Port of Philadelphia, and
from 1893 to 1898 was pension examiner at Reading. In
whatever position Dr. Herbst is placed he proves an able
man, capable of managing large affairs with skill and wis-
dom.

Dr. Herbst is a member of a number of fraternal or-
ganizations, among these being : Minnehaha Lodge, No.
154, K. P.; Oley Castle, No. 119, K. G. E. (of which he is
past officer) ; Huguenot Lodge, No. 337, F. & A. M., of
Kutztown (of which he is past master); and Reading
Chapter, Consistory and Commandery. He also belongs
to the Sigma Chi college fraternity. In his religious
faith he has not departed from the teaching of his fathers,
and is a member of the Lutheran church.

On Oct. 28, 1880, Dr. Herbst was married to Lottie
Stettler, of Kutztown.

HENRY MALTZBERGER, lawyer of Reading and
United States commissioner, was born in Reading. Oct. 10,
1858, son of Charles C. and Margaret C. (Haas) Maltz-
berger. His grandfather, John Maltzberger, was a to-
bacconist of Reading.

Charles C. Maltzberger was also a tobacconist of Read-
ing. He died in 1874, at the comparatively early age of
forty. His wife was the daughter of Charles F. Haas, a
brewer, of Zanesville, Ohio. They became the parents of
four children : John died at the age of three years ; Mar-
guerite E. m. Robert Job, chemist, formerly chief chemist
of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, later
member of the leading firm of chemists. Booth, Garrett
& Blair, of Philadelphia, Pa.; Henry; and Charles J. was
formerly superintendent of the American Iron & Steel
Manufacturing Company, but later in the service of the
Reading Iron Company.

Henry Maltzberger was reared in Reading and passed
through the graded schools, graduating from the high
school in 1874. He was prepared for Yale at the Hopkins
Grammar School in New Haven, Conn., and entering Col-
lege in 1875, graduated with honors in 1879. Mv. Maltz-
berger then returned to Reading, and entered the law office
of his uncle, Harrison Maltzberger, at that time a promi-
nent lawyer of the City, but now deceased. After two
years of study, he was admitted to the Bar of Berks county
in November, 1881, and has since been actively engaged in
practice. He has a large and select clientele. On July
3, ]90o, he became United States Commissioner for the
Eastern District of Pennsylvania, at Reading.

A Republican in politics, Mr. Maltzberger has taken an
active interest in the councils of his party, and was for
some years secretary of the County committee. Pie was
a special agent for the Census Department in 1890. Mr.
Maltzberger is a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon



Online LibraryMorton L. (Morton Luther) MontgomeryHistorical and biographical annals of Berks County, Pennsylvania, embracing a concise history of the county and a genealogical and biographical record of representative families, comp. by Morton L. Montgomery .. → online text (page 114 of 227)